Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Hello,

I've been looking into getting a time capsule and putting all my movies on it, all my non-iCloud streaming compatible ones. Basically Fox movies and rips of older movies.

So my question is, could I put movies onto a time capsule, and stream them to my jailbroken :apple:tv2? And would I need to use Plex, or any program in particular? I'm finding mixed replies on other forums. So I thought I'd make a thread here.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Hello,

I've been looking into getting a time capsule and putting all my movies on it, all my non-iCloud streaming compatible ones. Basically Fox movies and rips of older movies.

So my question is, could I put movies onto a time capsule, and stream them to my jailbroken :apple:tv2? And would I need to use Plex, or any program in particular? I'm finding mixed replies on other forums. So I thought I'd make a thread here.

I have this setup. Apple TimeCapsule with external USB hard drive. I have all my media stores in the external hard drive. I use my Apple TV 3 to stream the content onto my TV. Some of the drawbacks to this setup is that iTunes disconnects from the Apple TV therefore you need to physically restart iTunes before being able to see your media on your AppleTV. Another drawback is that the external hard drive sometimes goes to sleep or needs a few seconds to wake up. I don't store my media directly on my TimeCapsule since it will get filled very quickly. I also don't use Plex. I just have home sharing turned on iTunes. My Apple TV is not jailbroken. Hope this helps.

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I have this setup. Apple TimeCapsule with external USB hard drive. I have all my media stores in the external hard drive. I use my Apple TV 3 to stream the content onto my TV. Some of the drawbacks to this setup is that iTunes disconnects from the Apple TV therefore you need to physically restart iTunes before being able to see your media on your AppleTV. Another drawback is that the external hard drive sometimes goes to sleep or needs a few seconds to wake up. I don't store my media directly on my TimeCapsule since it will get filled very quickly. I also don't use Plex. I just have home sharing turned on iTunes. My Apple TV is not jailbroken. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the quick reply.

So I would have to have iTunes running on a computer to be able to do this? :( Major bummer, if so. but thanks for listing the drawback. Is there anything else I should know?

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
3 rd Party NAS such as Synology and Gigabit LAN is always better way to handle streaming 1080p HD and stuffs. Avoiding WAN or WIFI things. Interfering causes your data transmitting painfully slow and lost. You have to analyze the channels to know which channel is the best in your area. Pick one of Ch 1 , 6 , 11 that has lease wifi router and your power transmission dBi has to be the best.

jay47

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
Yes , you can stream movies from a time capsule to a jailbroken apple tv2 without needing a computer running .

If using xbmc to stream from the time capsule to the apple tv you will need to connect via SMB .

You can also use media player to stream but that requires a seasonpass jailbreak with apple flash black installed .

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Yes , you can stream movies from a time capsule to a jailbroken apple tv2 without needing a computer running .

If using xbmc to stream from the time capsule to the apple tv you will need to connect via SMB .

You can also use media player to stream but that requires a seasonpass jailbreak with apple flash black installed

Ah terrific! that's what my ultimate goal is. Thank you ! I was pretty sure I could do that but wasn't entirely certain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.