Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
so i've pretty much decided that i'm getting a new iBook for college this year. orginally, i was going to buy a 20" apple display to use in my dorm room, but there's been a lot of talk here about the dell 2005fpw. it's about half the price of the apple display, but i don't know if i can bring myself to hook an iBook up to a dell display. is it a better display, or just cheaper? any opinions on which i should get would be great.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
The Dell display is great for the price, apparently it uses the same screen as the Apple 20" ACD so you are just loosing out on the design, i'd say for the money you save its definatly worth getting the Dell over the Apple..

ShadOW ;)

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
beez7777 said:
so i've pretty much decided that i'm getting a new iBook for college this year. orginally, i was going to buy a 20" apple display to use in my dorm room, but there's been a lot of talk here about the dell 2005fpw. it's about half the price of the apple display, but i don't know if i can bring myself to hook an iBook up to a dell display. is it a better display, or just cheaper? any opinions on which i should get would be great.

Its the same exact screen, BUT the Dell offers more features...

The Apple ACD only offers DVI hook up with 2 port USB and 2 port hub.

The Dell monitor offers a DVI hook up, VGA hook ups, Composite hook up, S-Video hook up, 4 port USB hub, picture and picture, picture in picture, a MUCH better stand, it can be adjusted to go up, down, tilt up and down, side to side, and even rotate. Also offers so that you can switch between inputs. So you can actually hook up 2 computers, one on DVI and another on VGA (for mac users you would need a VGA -> DVI adaptor) and you can switch screens. Its REALLY nice.

I definately recommend getting the Dell over the Apple ACD. The Apple ACD is WAY over priced and has much LESS features.

Oh and just an FYI, the monitor is going for $360 USD RIGHT NOW! Its definately a bargin! Lowest its ever been! I just ordered a second one yesterday :cool:

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
United States
YS2003 said:
I could not resist the design of ACD. I ended up getting a 20" and 23" ACD for my PBs. The aluminum chassis is very nice when you feel it with your hands.
Yeah, it's very nice and it matches with Apple's Powerbooks and Power Mac computers. But you can get the Dell 2005FP for ~$400 now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.