PDA

View Full Version : Combining DVD Movie & Extras into a single file

Jim.R
Jul 19, 2012, 02:49 AM
Hi,
Thanks to the advice in these pages I've made a start on ripping my DVD collection to watch on my aTV.
One thing I'd like to be able to do though is have the movie and the extras as a single file, rather than having to have multiple files in iTunes.
Is there a way to combine the files together so that the extras get added to the end of the movie as additional chapters?

Has anyone got any suggestions for OSX software/tools that can do this?
I've had a read through the guides for Handbrake and Subler and it appears that this is something they can't do.
Free would be best, but happy to pay if required.

Thanks.

Jim.R
Jul 19, 2012, 03:23 AM
..And as is so often the case, I find the answer just after posting :o
Looks like MP4Tools and MKVTools will both join files together, and then chapter info can be edited in Subler to label the extras correctly.

Will joining the files require re-encoding and lose quality? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.

mic j
Jul 19, 2012, 08:51 AM
..And as is so often the case, I find the answer just after posting :o
Looks like MP4Tools and MKVTools will both join files together, and then chapter info can be edited in Subler to label the extras correctly.

Will joining the files require re-encoding and lose quality? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.
I prefer to join using MKVTools then transcode using Handbrake. If you are joining files at the mp4 stage, there is no need to re-encode. The biggest problem you might run into is audio sync (especially in the material added to the main movie). So I would recommend you go and ensure sync after you have done your joining.