Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKingIV

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I guess the rumors are still saying that the iPhone 5 will be out in October? I am up for an upgrade with AT&T, and like so many people, I'm trying to decide whether to hold off and wait for the iPhone 5 or go with the SIII.

But also, it seems like new Androids come out so often, I'm not sure if I should wait for the next "best" Android. Is there another one coming down the pike soon that is supposed to be even better than the SIII?

Last edited by a moderator:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I guess the rumors are still saying that the iPhone 5 will be out in October? I am up for an upgrade with AT&T, and like so many people, I'm trying to decide whether to hold off and wait for the iPhone 5 or go with the SIII.

But also, it seems like new Androids come out so often, I'm not sure if I should wait for the next "best" Android. Is there another one coming down the pike soon that is supposed to be even better than the SIII?

These may be better for answering your question.

http://www.androidcentral.com/
http://phandroid.com/
http://www.talkandroid.com/
http://www.androidauthority.com/
http://www.androidpolice.com/
http://androidheadlines.com/
http://www.droid-life.com/
http://androidspin.com/

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009

I'm guessing the S IV will be out soon, but I'd wait for the S V. But then again, if the S V rolls out, why not opt for the S VI? :D

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The next Nexus should kick some major booty. I'm expecting a Cortex A15 processor, multi-core GPU, and a 4.5-4.8" HD AMOLED+ display. Of course, with LTE/HSPA+, NFC, 8-12MP camera, 1-2GB of RAM, and Key Lime Pie, a.k.a. Android 5.0.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The next Nexus should kick some major booty. I'm expecting a Cortex A15 processor, multi-core GPU, and a 4.5-4.8" HD AMOLED+ display. Of course, with LTE/HSPA+, NFC, 8-12MP camera, 1-2GB of RAM, and Key Lime Pie, a.k.a. Android 5.0.

I heard Key Lime Pie has picture n picture n picture n picture. You can watch 4 movies at once. This will crush iOS.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Nexus phones tend to not push the envelope on the hardware front. It's usually a reflection on the year's established hardware. I'd predict the specs to be very close to the S3, with only slight improvements. Not that the S3 specs are bad.

Key Lime Pie is also unlikely. I predict an update to JB. Maybe 4.1.2 or something.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Well if your like me and didn't feel like waiting for the next iphone I'd say get the s3. It's bad ass and will be upgradeable for a while. It bests the iphone in almost every way, and unless there is some killer stuff in the next iphone (because Ios 6 is disappointing from what I've seen) It will better than the new iphone as well.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Really, it just depends what you need your phone for.

All of my friends have iPhones and communication between our devices is great. We use a lot of the samea pps, and the phone is as functional as ever.

One of our friends decided to jump from the 3GS to the Galaxy S3. He swears by it, but we all laugh at him because he spent 40+ hours rooting his phone (and bricking it in the process), getting another new phone, putting a different kernel and ROM on his phone, and so on and so forth...

...And at the end of the day (well, more like after a couple weeks) he has a phone that while a bit faster and has some small functionality advantages, isn't as compatible with his circle of friends as his old phone. As it stands now, the only thing his phone does that our phones don't do is turn by turn navigation. There is some functionality added, but virtually all of that could've been done by jailbreaking which would have taken way less effort than he went through by rooting his phone.

He loves his phone at the moment, but I have a sneaking suspicion when we all upgrade to the iPhone 5 and know we have a phone that will be supported for 2 years, he will be disappointed. The 5S or 6 will be out for the better part of a year before he is eligible for another upgrade.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Really, it just depends what you need your phone for.

All of my friends have iPhones and communication between our devices is great. We use a lot of the samea pps, and the phone is as functional as ever.

One of our friends decided to jump from the 3GS to the Galaxy S3. He swears by it, but we all laugh at him because he spent 40+ hours rooting his phone (and bricking it in the process), getting another new phone, putting a different kernel and ROM on his phone, and so on and so forth...

...And at the end of the day (well, more like after a couple weeks) he has a phone that while a bit faster and has some small functionality advantages, isn't as compatible with his circle of friends as his old phone. As it stands now, the only thing his phone does that our phones don't do is turn by turn navigation. There is some functionality added, but virtually all of that could've been done by jailbreaking which would have taken way less effort than he went through by rooting his phone.

He loves his phone at the moment, but I have a sneaking suspicion when we all upgrade to the iPhone 5 and know we have a phone that will be supported for 2 years, he will be disappointed. The 5S or 6 will be out for the better part of a year before he is eligible for another upgrade.

While I agree with some of what your saying, there is actually a fair amount of things the s3 can do that the iphone can't. Although turn by turn navigation can be had on the iphone with Tom Tom. How much the features mean to you may be of little or no importance to you though. The only things off the top of my head that I can think of that iphone users can connect with is Imesssage and face time.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
While I agree with some of what your saying, there is actually a fair amount of things the s3 can do that the iphone can't. Although turn by turn navigation can be had on the iphone with Tom Tom. How much the features mean to you may be of little or no importance to you though. The only things off the top of my head that I can think of that iphone users can connect with is Imesssage and face time.

Find my friends is a biggie too. We are all in our mid 20s... some in grad school, some with jobs, some doing both, some of our jobs have odd hours, some of us live in our own homes or apartments, others live with significant others, etc.

Find my friends allows us to see where we are reliably without bothering anyone.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Somehow at the most basic level, many people here do not know, or perhaps even care, that the Android OS is quite different than iOS. Therefore to compare the two so seriously is rather moot.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I'm guessing the S IV will be out soon, but I'd wait for the S V. But then again, if the S V rolls out, why not opt for the S VI? :D

I know. Why bother with a new Samsung phone that will keep adding technology every 6 months, when you can buy an iphone and know it won't change for nearly 3 years. I mean not like anyone can tell if you have a 4 or 4s, and i doubt most people will even be able to distinguish a 4 from a 5 without looking closely to see a .4" difference. Since June 2010, what have we seen from the iphone? A minimally faster cpu, gpu, slightly better camera and siri. We saw a similar lack of upgrade between the 3g and 3gs.

You can be pretty sure you won't see much if any change to this upcoming phone until Oct 2014. The longer Apple goes between design and tech upgrades, the further behind they get. And I am of the belief that we need Apple to force vendors to use new tech, i.e. NFC. I personally need and want Apple to succeed and push the envelope, like they did with the original iphone, the ipad, the MBA, the 'retina' display tech, thunderbolt, etc... Without Apple's focus and ability to dictate where and how tech flows, this world would be very different and I might be typing this from a pos Blackberry.

Seiga

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010

HA HA!!! You're funny... Oh wait.. iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, the New iPhone, the New iPhone S.....

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Will be interested to see Windows 8 running on a phone.

auto-aol-windows-8-200541.jpeg

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
HA HA!!! You're funny... Oh wait.. iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, the New iPhone, the New iPhone S.....

Yes, those are their annual releases. My point is/was that if waits just a few weeks he can get the next S class that comes out...

Oh wait...you were trying to be funny? Missed that.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
AOL back then was pure greatness. And I'm not being sarcastic.

Yeah, I used to get those aol cd's in just about every magazine I bought. I used aol on and off for a few years in the mid to late 90's. Before that it was Juno. AOL just couldn't adapt fast enough and got left behind when people stopped using dial-up.

And while WP may not be left behind technologically, M$ isn't making it easy for their handset manufacturers. Add to this, Nokia failing and lack of sales and you have a repeat of a failed platform.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, I used to get those aol cd's in just about every magazine I bought. I used aol on and off for a few years in the mid to late 90's. Before that it was Juno. AOL just couldn't adapt fast enough and got left behind when people stopped using dial-up.

Yea, around the time DSL became the norm. AOL's software turned into one huge malware.

And while WP may not be left behind technologically, M$ isn't making it easy for their handset manufacturers. Add to this, Nokia failing and lack of sales and you have a repeat of a failed platform.

Is MS even giving developers a real incentive to create apps?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Find my friends is a biggie too. We are all in our mid 20s... some in grad school, some with jobs, some doing both, some of our jobs have odd hours, some of us live in our own homes or apartments, others live with significant others, etc.

Find my friends allows us to see where we are reliably without bothering anyone.

I have a friend with an S2 we all use latitude instead of find my friends. It's a little more taxing on the battery though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.