PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Executive Potentially Hints at iPhone Launch in Fourth Quarter 2012

MacRumors
Jul 19, 2012, 09:47 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/verizon-executive-potentially-hints-at-iphone-launch-in-fourth-quarter-2012/)

As noted by CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57475543-37/verizon-drops-a-hint-on-a-possible-q4-iphone-5-launch/), Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo made a comment during today's earnings release (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/apples-share-of-verizon-smartphone-sales-slips-to-45/) conference call that many are interpreting as a hint that the next-generation iPhone will be launching in the fourth quarter of this year.Apple's next iteration of the iPhone could drop in the fourth quarter.

That's according to Verizon CFO Fran Shammo, who hinted at the possible timing during the company's quarterly conference call today with a vague reference to a major phone the carrier expects to launch in the fourth quarter.Shammo's exact statement was captured by The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/19/3169505/verizon-ct-iphone-launch-q4-rumor):When asked what might have held customers back from upgrading their devices in Q2, Shammo said that "of course there's always that, uh, rumor mill out there with a new phone coming out there in the fourth quarter, so people may be waiting." While there's a chance that he was referring to the next Nexus phone, this felt more like a thinly-veiled reference to the oft-rumored "new iPhone."Rumors have been pegging the launch of the next-generation iPhone for the September/October timeframe, but with Verizon's fourth quarter not starting until October 1, Shammo's comment would point toward the latter half of the rumored timeframe.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/iphone51.jpg

Rendering (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/high-resolution-iphone-5-renderings-based-on-leaked-parts/) of next-generation iPhone based on leaked parts and rumors
Shammo could pass his comments off as simply an acknowledgment of the circulating rumors with no inside information coloring his perspective, but observers searching for any hints of Apple's plans are clearly wondering whether the timeframe mentioned by Shammo was indeed based on Apple's schedule.

Last year, Shammo spoke out several times on Apple's iPhone plans, confirming (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/21/verizon-cfo-reveals-next-iphone-to-be-a-global-device/) that what became the iPhone 4S would be a world-mode phone capable of operating on both GSM and CDMA networks and noting that Verizon would launch the device (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/19/verizon-reiterates-claims-of-world-mode-next-generation-iphone-simultaneous-with-att-debut/) simultaneously with AT&T despite Verizon having launched the iPhone 4 midway through its lifecycle.

Article Link: Verizon Executive Potentially Hints at iPhone Launch in Fourth Quarter 2012 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/verizon-executive-potentially-hints-at-iphone-launch-in-fourth-quarter-2012/)

FakeWozniak
Jul 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
Year after year, there has always been a new iPhone. It's inevitable. I just hope to see the iPhone 5 before the Mayan calendar ends.

TXAppleUser
Jul 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
That's what everyone is suspecting anyways.

patseguin
Jul 19, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hw can this be accurate? I thought the screen was suppose to go edge to edge?

yearofthe
Jul 19, 2012, 09:51 AM
I shall be listening to Lady Gaga until then. :)

tigres
Jul 19, 2012, 09:52 AM
Such news

Raftysworld
Jul 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
Can we please stop calling it the iPhone 5? It's either the iPhone 6, iPhone 4GS, iPhone 4ST (T = Tall) or iPhone XL. iPhone 5 makes NO sense and would just cause all kinds of confusion.

wordoflife
Jul 19, 2012, 09:55 AM
No way?!??!?!

Can we please stop calling it the iPhone 5?
No.

I agree with you, but it's not going to happen lol

x-evil-x
Can we please stop calling it the iPhone 5? It's either the iPhone 6, iPhone 4GS, iPhone 4ST (T = Tall) or iPhone XL. iPhone 5 makes NO sense and would just cause all kinds of confusion.

give it up...
who really cares

Darrensk8

Can we please stop turning these threads into a naming battle :(

DavidLeblond
Jul 19, 2012, 09:56 AM

My money is on it being called "iPhone"

illitrate23
Jul 19, 2012, 09:56 AM
Was anyone seriously considering that they'd release it in September? October was always the expected release month - it was October last year wasn't it?

Hakone
Jul 19, 2012, 09:57 AM
I wonder if he re-iterated the fact that everyone who wants to keep their unlimited data plans have to pay the full price.... Hmmmm. :eek:

z2daj
It is only a matter of time. :)

basesloaded190
"Apple's next iteration of the iPhone could drop in the fourth quarter."

This guy must be an analyst on the side. :rolleyes:

c0venant
Jul 19, 2012, 09:58 AM
should be released on the day Steve Jobs passed last year, Oct. 5

-LikesMac-
Jul 19, 2012, 09:58 AM
Inevitable; this isn't news.

Naming battle is sort of irrelevant too, though I think the new iPhone will be called just that. The New iPhone.

Raftysworld
Jul 19, 2012, 09:59 AM
Naming battle is sort of irrelevant too, though I think the new iPhone will be called just that. The New iPhone.

And then the iPhone 7 would be called the New New iPhone? :rolleyes:

Daalseth
Jul 19, 2012, 10:00 AM
That would be a Friday.
Might happen

BigPrince
Jul 19, 2012, 10:01 AM
What is the "news" I am supposed to take away from this article?

Vulpinemac
Jul 19, 2012, 10:02 AM
While the next iPhone is definitely a possibility, you can't ignore the probability of a Windows 8 phone as well. Windows phone OSes may be having a hard time of it for now, but I believe as people become familiar with Win8 itself, they'll see the advantages of having a phone OS that is intimately integrated with their desktop PCs. It's an advantage that only Apple enjoys at the moment.

nick_elt
Jul 19, 2012, 10:04 AM

I would love to downvote this. Build a bridge. And get over it.

peb123
Jul 19, 2012, 10:05 AM
Was this article really "post-worthy"?

Should be titled "Verizon Executive Hints at the BLOODY OBVIOUS!"

Vulpinemac
Jul 19, 2012, 10:07 AM

Other than the iPhone itself, what Apple products use a numerical designator for its generation model? It's not the iMac (I have an iMac Extreme) or the Mac Pro; it's not the MacBook or the iPod, so why should the iPhone continue to have a designator?

I'm not saying it won't, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they do drop it, either.

caligomez
Jul 19, 2012, 10:07 AM
So basically, a Verizon executive stated that there's going to a be new iPhone out between October and December...

Why is this newsworthy again?

bedifferent
Jul 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
Just had a slightly OT thought.

Since the [rumored] headphone jack is at the bottom along with the dock connector, this may allow the device from being more water prone. Currently, two 9very sensitive) water damage indicators exist in the iPhone - one in the headphone jack and the dock connector. Moving the headphone jack for easier wired headset access is great, and exposed connections will be in one location. If a small bit of water or such should find its way to your iPhone, might fair better with this design.

"Deep Thoughts", by bedifferent :p

blucable

It may be the 6th iphone, but the name is iPhone 5, I think that is hard to change, I would just deal with it.

Krazy Bill
Talk about reading too much in the tea leaves...

hobo.hopkins
Jul 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
I think many of you are missing the point of the article; it's not that the phone will be released in the latter half of this year, it's that if this is the case the phone won't be released until after October 1st. This would be of importance to anyone eagerly planning to upgrade to the new phone (which I imagine is quite a few people).

MaxHedrm
Jul 19, 2012, 10:11 AM
So, an exec acknowledging that sites like this exist is attributed as him hinting at a launch? Are you serious? & lets take a look at your headline. Of the 11 words, 20% of them were just hedging words so you can back out of it later. What a waste of a post.

BigPrince
I think many of you are missing the point of the article; it's not that the phone will be released in the latter half of this year, it's that if this is the case the phone won't be released until after October 1st. This would be of importance to anyone eagerly planning to upgrade to the new phone (which I imagine is quite a few people).

As opposed to waiting until the end of September? No big deal if you ask me.

SpyderBite

Doesn't matter what they call it. Just like the 4s, people will hate on the name.. and then buy it anyways.

MaxHedrm
It may be the 6th iphone, but the name is iPhone 5, I think that is hard to change, I would just deal with it.

Actually, the name hasn't been announced yet, iPhone 5 is just what we are calling it.

ianogden
Jul 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
Vodafone UK are telling people a new iPhone will be released in October. I don't know.

D-Dave
Jul 19, 2012, 10:19 AM
Another release date speculation comes from know your mobile and hints towards August 7th (http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1482786/iphone_5_official_release_date_revealed_as_august_7.html)
No idea how reliable the site is, but i thought i'd share it anyway.

hobo.hopkins
Jul 19, 2012, 10:20 AM
As opposed to waiting until the end of September? No big deal if you ask me.

I'm not saying that it's a big deal, I'm saying that they might like to know.

tatonka
Jul 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
It (hopefully) will be annouced somewhen in September with the launch a couple days/weeks later. So the first day of availability (which is all this carrier dude cares about) will be in late September possibly October.

Seems in line with other rumors and common sense to me.

T.

PS: Stop fighting over the name. It will be called something and until then, the working/rumor title is iPhone5.

PPS: What is the rumors about the next Nexus phone btw? Any rumors/ideas when that will be coming out? (don't hate).

troop231
Jul 19, 2012, 10:22 AM
Apple most likely won't release the phone until their 1st quarter begins (holiday quarter) and that starts September 30th. I don't see them showing the phone so early in August, which would leave nearly two months before the phone would ship.

It normally ships within two weeks or so after the keynote.

I expect event invites to be sent out September 25th, and the event to be on October 2nd.

JHankwitz
Jul 19, 2012, 10:23 AM

Confusion with what? I know of no iPhone 5 currently in existence. In my book, 5 usually follows 4. How could iPhone 5 possibly be confusing? Anyway, they'll likely call it the new 'iPhone' like they did with the iPad.

Tunster
Jul 19, 2012, 10:23 AM
Hold on, didn't we get all the iPhone 5 hype last year of a new body, leaked covers etc and then get a upgraded 4 to the 4S? I'd not want to be 100% that these leaked parts are the real deal for the next iPhone with the rumoured announcement still a way to go in October.

Maybe the rendering is the new iPhone, but I'd be cautious that it's likely to be a leaked media diversion. For Apple to keep the same type of design 3 phones in a row would be a surprise. They seriously need to change the design rather than fitting the current design around a larger screen.

wolfpackfan
Jul 19, 2012, 10:25 AM

Can we please stop complaining about it being called the iPhone 5? I think if it is called anything BUT iPhone 5, it is going to be very confusing to your average person. If it is called iPhone 6, people are going to want to know what happened to the iPhone 5. And Apple isn't going to have another version of iPhone 4. It is either going to be iPhone 5 or The New iPhone.

unobtainium
Jul 19, 2012, 10:30 AM
Apple is usually quite predictable and consistent, so my guess is:

- released first week of October (like last year)
- named simply 'iPhone' (like the new iPad)

I think these are pretty easy guesses.

Mike Valmike
Jul 19, 2012, 10:30 AM

iPhone HD

eyebex
Jul 19, 2012, 10:31 AM
does apple still make those?

wolfpackfan
Jul 19, 2012, 10:34 AM
Apple is usually quite predictable and consistent, so my guess is:

- released first week of October (like last year)
- named simply 'iPhone' (like the new iPad)

I think these are pretty easy guesses.

I agree with both of these guesses.

Ubuntu
Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 AM

What about iPhone 4SS? You forgot about that one. Stands for Super-S.

Lochias
Jul 19, 2012, 10:38 AM

Just like iPad 4

maroontiger2k9
Jul 19, 2012, 10:39 AM
Why in the world would apple use the same design for 3 builds in a row!?

idc if they made this build slimmer.. come on apple :(

tekno
Jul 19, 2012, 10:44 AM
That rendering of the next generation iPhone looks exactly like the iPhone 4/4S.

I really feel that Apple using the same design (elongated or otherwise) three years in a row is a very dangerous decision - especially as everyone knows they need to wait another year to see if they will finally change the design.

6 months is a long time in the world of smartphones, so three years is... er... a really, really long time.

realeric
Jul 19, 2012, 10:44 AM
It will happen again. iPhone's market share will dip to 10% as Mac vs Windows 20 years ago. iOS is good enough but Apple is too heavy, slow, and conservative. :apple:

RoboCop001
Jul 19, 2012, 10:46 AM
Year after year, there has always been a new iPhone. It's inevitable. I just hope to see the iPhone 5 before the Mayan calendar ends.

Actually they've found an even older Mayan calendar that doesn't end in 2012 lol

ryanasimov
Jul 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
1. There is a new iPhone released once a year, every year.
2. Has a new iPhone been released yet for this year?
3. End speculation.

Glideslope

iPhone Nebula VI :apple:

NakedSnake
Other than the iPhone itself, what Apple products use a numerical designator for its generation model? It's not the iMac (I have an iMac Extreme) or the Mac Pro; it's not the MacBook or the iPod, so why should the iPhone continue to have a designator?

I'm not saying it won't, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they do drop it, either.

OS X will also be renamed to just OS with the next release. :D

srxtr
Jul 19, 2012, 10:57 AM
While the next iPhone is definitely a possibility, you can't ignore the probability of a Windows 8 phone as well. Windows phone OSes may be having a hard time of it for now, but I believe as people become familiar with Win8 itself, they'll see the advantages of having a phone OS that is intimately integrated with their desktop PCs. It's an advantage that only Apple enjoys at the moment.

Advantages of having a phone OS that is intimately integrated with their PCs? Like what Apple is doing with iOS and Mac OSX?

realeric
Jul 19, 2012, 11:02 AM

For this...? :D

FakeWozniak
Jul 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
For this...? :D

LOL
The phone doesn't look quite tall enough! :-)

2bikes
Jul 19, 2012, 11:14 AM

Why don't we just call it iPhone5 for now, and not get caught up with the name? Just like the iPad3. It is just a reference!

ReallyBigFeet
Jul 19, 2012, 11:16 AM
When I made the switch to the Share Everything plan even the sales rep said that she couldn't wait until "September" (her words) for getting simultaneous voice/data on "the new Apple phone."

So I think the rumor mill is as strong inside of Verizon as it is in the rest of the industry.

As an Apple shareholder, I really don't want them announcing the next iPhone until after the back-to-school marketing season is over. I want them selling as many iPhone 4/4S as they can, clearing out remaining inventory, prior to introducing the next model.

sbrhwkp3
Jul 19, 2012, 11:17 AM
An October launch would make sense with a September announcement. It would give developers time to resize their apps for the shape of the new screen so that the launch of the phone has native apps instead of screen-centered garbage.

Jimrod
Jul 19, 2012, 11:19 AM

There is absolutely zero chance it will be called iPhone 6. It will be iPhone 5 or just "The New iPhone". Only total Apple geeks would think otherwise but here's the news - you aren't the target market for the iPhone, the target market is everyone with the funds to buy one and Apple won't want to confuse the general public. Nerd-raging that it should "technically" be called 6 won't change that.

I'd be willing to bet you anything you like that I'm right about this and you're wrong.

Just sayin'

AppleGuesser
Jul 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Wow, this is SOOOO shocking....not :) I think most people suspected that an October release is more than inevitable honestly. Unless you are one of my friends who continues to claim an iPhone is coming August....

BornAgainApple
Jul 19, 2012, 11:21 AM

LorPGDL
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww224/harryneopotter/You-Dont-Say-Meme-Rage-Face-Nicolas-Cage.png

Rocketman
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15248688&postcount=24

wigby
Jul 19, 2012, 11:22 AM

you forgot about just iPhone.

AppleGuesser
Jul 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
:)

BornAgainApple
Jul 19, 2012, 11:23 AM

Your post only adds to the "confusion" :rolleyes:

Buckeyestar
Jul 19, 2012, 11:23 AM

What confusion? There'd be none. The name is irrelevant. Most people have no idea what generation product it is, nor what software it ships with. They just want to know what to call it when they walk in and ask for one.

AppleGuesser
Jul 19, 2012, 11:24 AM

For a second I thought this guy was joking. Sadly, I was wrong. Wow, have you even seen OS X Mountain Lion? Explain that good Sir :)

Nabby
Jul 19, 2012, 11:25 AM

I'm fairly certain Apple doesn't care about the confusion. They made that abundantly clear when they called it the "New iPad".

Worst. Marketing. Decision. Ever...(IMHO)

Nabby

xionxiox
Jul 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
I'm fairly certain Apple doesn't care about the confusion. They made that abundantly clear when they called it the "New iPad".

Worst. Marketing. Decision. Ever...(IMHO)

Nabby

Name's not New iPad. It's just iPad. Just like the new iPod nano.

unlinked
Jul 19, 2012, 11:33 AM

Is this going to posted on every single story about the next iPhone? There is zero chance of them making an iPhone 6 without making an iPhone 5.

sulpfiction
Jul 19, 2012, 11:34 AM

I don't think there is any chance of it being called iPhone 5, and will almost certainly be called "iphone". For who is it hard to change? Apple doesn't care, even a little bit about what WE feel it should be.

Damn..Got sucked into these naming arguments again! Please stop with these posts in every single iPhone thread on here. It's so bad, it's funny.

AppleGuesser
Jul 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
I don't think there is any chance of it being called iPhone 5, and will almost certainly be called "iphone". For who is it hard to change? Apple doesn't care, even a little bit about what WE feel it should be.

Damn..Got sucked into these naming arguments again! Please stop with these posts in every single iPhone thread on here. It's so bad, it's funny.

It should be named iPhone XXL ;)

URFloorMatt
Jul 19, 2012, 11:37 AM

Customer walks into the AT&T Wireless store and says he wants to buy an iPhone. Associate walks up to him and says, "Okay, here are your choices: the new iPhone 6, the iPhone 4S, and the iPhone 4."

Customer's response:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2c1lwquMR1r7sv4k.jpg

If there is one thing I am certain of, it will not be called the iPhone 6.

Wicked1
Jul 19, 2012, 11:41 AM

They can also do what they did with the new iPad and call it iPhone?

I think Apple needs to start coming up with a standard date, first it was June, now October, now no one knows

willmtaylor
Jul 19, 2012, 11:49 AM
Another release date speculation comes from know your mobile and hints towards August 7th (http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1482786/iphone_5_official_release_date_revealed_as_august_7.html)

That's been rebuffed over And again for numerous reasons: credibility & track record of source, lack of smoke for that fire, Apple's new alleged product cycle, and lack of new IOS (just to name a few).

----------

What a horrible idea: "Hey guys, we're super depressed today, so what better way to get excited about a new product and a new IOS than to think about SJ dying!"

Cryptan
Jul 19, 2012, 11:49 AM

Even though iPhone 5 doesn't make sense (because it isn't the 5th iPhone), I think it would cause the least confusion to consumers. There is substantial evidence for this too; all of the rumors are calling it the iPhone 5. Also, go and talk with any average iPhone owner and tell them that the next iPhone is coming out soon. They will confirm that you are talking about the iPhone 5; without you even saying the number 5.

Also with the current pattern, 5 makes the most sense; 3G -> 3GS -> 4 -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S -> etc.

If it were 6 consumers would be asking "What about iPhone 5?"

iPhone 4GS is too close to iPhone 4S and what would the incremental update be called? iPhone 4GSS?

If it were XL then it would be assumed that they will continue with the 3.5" screen iPhone, which I doubt they will. So it doesn't make sense.

iPhone 4ST is your least stupid name, but it is too messy and Apple has never stated what the "S" means, so why would they attach a letter with a meaning and not have a (publicly known) meaning for the "S"?

iPhone 5 makes more sense than anything you listed, but personally I think they are going to drop the number all together like the iPad.

In any case it isn't even revealed yet and we all know what iPhone 5 means so there is nothing wrong with it. I'd like to see you try to get people to start taking about the iPhone 4ST and not have to explain yourself each time.

SpectatorHere
Jul 19, 2012, 11:50 AM
Thought I'd just throw this out for people to comment on and see what people think.

So, I've never been very convinced the long iphone was real, which leads me to wonder what the new phone will look like. I've been thinking big screen, smaller bezel and what not--basically the stuff I'd like. But then something occurred to me (probably to many of you too).

What if iPad dropped it's number to signify the product was mature, and what if the next iPhone is simple "the new iPhone?" Not simply in name, but that the "new" version is basically the same old 3.5" phone (granted with LTE and NFC added this time around).

But that begs the question--why would Apple have ever given up their yearly numbering? It's a great way to get people to upgrade--the auto industry figured this out 75 years ago. But if Apple isn't going by generation, they must have a reason.

My hypothesis is that Apple intends to sell it's products in their current form much like video game consoles.

The benefits are reduced R & D and manufacturing costs, as you only make generational changes every 5-10 years, and you provide a stable platform to attract really good software development. So, for the iPad, maybe we can just figure for the foreseeable future, you're going to get what you can buy today...no big upgrades on a yearly basis.

If Apple did the same with the iPhone, the 3.5" screen, the bezel, the basic shape, the home button....maybe these are all going to stay the same for the next few years.

Tim Cook has pretty much said this, "one resolution iPhone, one size iPad....etc" (I'm paraphrasing). If this is true, just as the Xbox and PS3 see only non-publicized internal upgrades (or minor tweaks like slim versions"), the iPhone really wouldn't change much year to year until they make a big generational leap.

This could also explain a mini-iPad. Apple could sell developers three basic touch based screen sizes to develop for, all using the same tools. Also if you develop an app for today's iPhone, you can assume it will run on future models because the basic hardware architecture isn't going to change.

TL;DR - Apple is done playing the hardware spec race, and is trying to change smartphones basically into consoles.

What do you think? (My initial reaction would be against such a move, but it seems to fit what they're doing.)

cvaldes
Jul 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
They can also do what they did with the new iPad and call it iPhone?

I think Apple needs to start coming up with a standard date, first it was June, now October, now no one knows
An exact date isn't all that important.

Most likely, Apple has moved the iPhone release to the fall, which allows it a chance to show it off at the WWDC in June (and provide training for developers on the new APIs) and provides a couple of months for Apple engineering to finalize the code.

That also gives third-party developers enough time to rewrite their apps to take advantage of the new iOS features. Compressing WWDC, the iOS release and iPhone hardware release in the span of a few weeks doesn't allow for enough time for thoughtful, careful feedback as well as bug fixing.

srharris22
Jul 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
The 'S' stands for Siri, that was confirmed. Also Apple said at WWDC that iOS 6 will be released this Fall which begins September 22. The next iPhone will not be released prior to iOS 6 release.

blumpkin
Jul 19, 2012, 12:02 PM
"Verizon Executive Potentially (Perhaps) Suggests a Kind-Of Hint at iPhone Launch in Fourth Quarter 2012, Maybe"

G5isAlive
Jul 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
and what do we know now that we didn't know yesterday?

ric275
Jul 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
Wow this changes everything... Not really duh even the guys in the Apple store say that sort of stuff. And with the name of the device, I agree calling it iPhone 5 makes no sense. It's either gonna be iPhone 6 or just the new iPhone and later referred to as iPhone (6th generation) but then again people will insist on calling it 5th gen as they still think there was an iPhone 2 and 3.... But they will have to move away from this numerical eventually and seeing as they have dropped it from iPad it's the best time to do the same for iPhone!

G5isAlive
Jul 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Thought I'd just throw this out for people to comment on and see what people think.

So, I've never been very convinced the long iphone was real, which leads me to wonder what the new phone will look like. I've been thinking big screen, smaller bezel and what not--basically the stuff I'd like. But then something occurred to me (probably to many of you too).

What if iPad dropped it's number to signify the product was mature, and what if the next iPhone is simple "the new iPhone?" Not simply in name, but that the "new" version is basically the same old 3.5" phone (granted with LTE and NFC added this time around).

But that begs the question--why would Apple have ever given up their yearly numbering? It's a great way to get people to upgrade--the auto industry figured this out 75 years ago. But if Apple isn't going by generation, they must have a reason.

My hypothesis is that Apple intends to sell it's products in their current form much like video game consoles.

The benefits are reduced R & D and manufacturing costs, as you only make generational changes every 5-10 years, and you provide a stable platform to attract really good software development. So, for the iPad, maybe we can just figure for the foreseeable future, you're going to get what you can buy today...no big upgrades on a yearly basis.

If Apple did the same with the iPhone, the 3.5" screen, the bezel, the basic shape, the home button....maybe these are all going to stay the same for the next few years.

Tim Cook has pretty much said this, "one resolution iPhone, one size iPad....etc" (I'm paraphrasing). If this is true, just as the Xbox and PS3 see only non-publicized internal upgrades (or minor tweaks like slim versions"), the iPhone really wouldn't change much year to year until they make a big generational leap.

This could also explain a mini-iPad. Apple could sell developers three basic touch based screen sizes to develop for, all using the same tools. Also if you develop an app for today's iPhone, you can assume it will run on future models because the basic hardware architecture isn't going to change.

TL;DR - Apple is done playing the hardware spec race, and is trying to change smartphones basically into consoles.

What do you think? (My initial reaction would be against such a move, but it seems to fit what they're doing.)

its an interesting thought but I would say no. for one, consoles have always had a history of minor updates over a long period of time whereas a new cell phone comes out almost every minute it seems. For another, there is too much competition currently upgrading ever few months for apple to think they can get away with every few years.

sulliweb
Jul 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
OS X will also be renamed to just OS with the next release. :D

Actually, split the difference between X and i... That's p

One on the end the other at the beginning...

It's confirmed, the new OS will be named: OPS.

Marketing: The Original OPS! There's never been one before!

Shorthand: OOPS!

Or possibly : That Patented OPS! We own it, so don't try anything!

Shorthand: POPS! (In homage to Poppa Jobs!)

Last thought, put both letters there and just move them toward the center of the alphabet a little.

It's the OS version we'll never see: LOSt!!

Sorry, just with all the fuss about the iPhone name, seemed appropriate.

Hope that brightened someone's day.

flash84x
Jul 19, 2012, 12:19 PM

More likely "The new iPhone"

SpectatorHere
Jul 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
its an interesting thought but I would say no. for one, consoles have always had a history of minor updates over a long period of time whereas a new cell phone comes out almost every minute it seems. For another, there is too much competition currently upgrading ever few months for apple to think they can get away with every few years.

It just baffles me why they dropped the 3 in iPad and went with just "iPad." Naming by generation has a long history of marketing success.

The move to a static architecture would also help explain why Apple didn't go for a larger screen last year on the 4S..there were certainly many people who wanted it back then.

It would be very risky since all the other manufacturers are pushing ahead with bigger, faster phones that do more.

We'll know more when this next phone comes out. If it's the "new iPhone" and the screen remains at 3.5" I'd say it would go a long way to proving the smartphone=consoles hypothesis.

rygamble
Jul 19, 2012, 12:22 PM

Nope, it's going to be called the new iPhone, and then then this new iPhone will be the old new iPhone... okay I don't know what they're going to do lol.

Leonard1818
Jul 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
so someone with a higher position at a carrier company acknowledges the rampant rumors surrounding the next iPhone release and everyone turns this into more fuel for the rumor fire?

Get a life...

KnightWRX
Jul 19, 2012, 12:27 PM

Actually it's going to be iPhone. They're going to market it as the new iPhone. And from then on, it's just going to be iPhone.

No more 3G, S, 4, yaddi yadda. Plain iPhone, iPad, iPod, Macbook, etc... etc...

----------

More likely "The new iPhone"

It's just iPhone. Just like it's just iPad. "The new" is not part of the product or model name.

deeddawg
Jul 19, 2012, 12:28 PM
Such news

and in other headlines, US sales of candy and turkeys is expected to increase dramatically in the fourth quarter. It's rumored that Halloween and Thanksgiving will occur in late October and late November respectively. :D

kalsta
Jul 19, 2012, 12:31 PM
It just baffles me why they dropped the 3 in iPad and went with just "iPad." Naming by generation has a long history of marketing success.

The move to a static architecture would also help explain why Apple didn't go for a larger screen last year on the 4S..there were certainly many people who wanted it back then.

It would be very risky since all the other manufacturers are pushing ahead with bigger, faster phones that do more.

We'll know more when this next phone comes out. If it's the "new iPhone" and the screen remains at 3.5" I'd say it would go a long way to proving the smartphone=consoles hypothesis.

Not a chance they'll let either product stagnate for years like you suggest. For all its other successes, Apple still makes its BIG profits on the hardware, unlike the game consoles you mentioned earlier. While ever there is a big percentage of the market wiling to upgrade to the latest hardware every one or two years, Apple will continue to try and give them every incentive to do so.

Aidan5806
Jul 19, 2012, 12:34 PM

And it shall be dubbed the iPhone SJ (for Steve jobs).

And damn those renders look sexy.

NewAnger
Jul 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
I shall be listening to Lady Gaga until then. :)

Why? :eek:

thebignewt
Jul 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
So basically, a Verizon executive stated that there's going to a be new iPhone out between October and December...

Why is this newsworthy again?
No, he said a new PHONE, not iPhone. Samsung and Android releases a new phone like every freaking DAY. Big news!

SpectatorHere
Jul 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
Actually it's going to be iPhone. They're going to market it as the new iPhone. And from then on, it's just going to be iPhone.

No more 3G, S, 4, yaddi yadda. Plain iPhone, iPad, iPod, Macbook, etc... etc...

----------

It's just iPhone. Just like it's just iPad. "The new" is not part of the product or model name.

Apple marketing is pretty much the best out there, so I think you're right, "new iPhone."

...But then you have to explain why they would do such a thing. They've numbered releases to distinguish between generations and help keep people excited about the latest and greatest product.

I can't help but think this part of a larger strategy in which they're willing to forego the successful generational numbering in exchange for something they believe will bring them more money. I think this doesn't augur well for people who want major changes to the basic size, display and functioning of the next several years of iPhones.

metsjetsfan
Jul 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
Doesn't their fiscal 4th quarter end in november? hence he could still mean september?

SpectatorHere
Jul 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
Not a chance they'll let either product stagnate for years like you suggest. For all its other successes, Apple still makes its BIG profits on the hardware, unlike the game consoles you mentioned earlier. While ever there is a big percentage of the market wiling to upgrade to the latest hardware every one or two years, Apple will continue to try and give them every incentive to do so.

Help me make sense of the iPad naming scheme then. How can it possibly help sales to play down the year-to-year model change?

ToomeyND
Jul 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
There is absolutely zero chance it will be called iPhone 6. It will be iPhone 5 or just "The New iPhone". Only total Apple geeks would think otherwise but here's the news - you aren't the target market for the iPhone, the target market is everyone with the funds to buy one and Apple won't want to confuse the general public. Nerd-raging that it should "technically" be called 6 won't change that.

I'd be willing to bet you anything you like that I'm right about this and you're wrong.

Just sayin'

Thank you, JimRod, for giving me the term "nerd-raging." I can't stop laughing! :D

That will be added to my vocabulary immediately.

HarryKNN21
Jul 19, 2012, 12:43 PM

If so, would you think people also give up on buying forthcoming Android phones, esp. Galaxy Note 2, in favour of a Win 8 Phone?

I believe people will see how stable the Win 8 phone would be before deciding between three mobile OS.

StyxMaker

Give up your quixotic endeavors. Until Apple announces the phone it's going to be called the iPhone 5.

kalsta
And I agree with those saying it's going to just be the 'iPhone'. I suggested this even before the new iPad came out--got no upvotes for my prediction or anything. ;-( (Never seen a winking sad face before, but it somehow seems appropriate.) And now the 'iPhone 6' brigade is like a cancer spreading through MacRumors.

Lennholm
Jul 19, 2012, 12:44 PM

About a year ago, before the 4S was revealed, I said "there's no way they're going to call it anything other than iPhone 5, they wont screw the numbering up again after getting back on track with 4"
but I followed up with
"the only reason the might call it anything other than the iPhone 5 is if they plan on getting rid of the numbering completely"
I still think I will be proven right in that last regard, the latest iPad certainly points to it.

G5isAlive
Jul 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
Help me make sense of the iPad naming scheme then. How can it possibly help sales to play down the year-to-year model change?

because they are currently selling two different generational models and trying to downplay the issue except for cost... to entice people who are price sensitive to buy the lower cost model but not think of it as last year's technology.

and i have lost track of how many generations of phone they are still selling..LOL

Dr. Scott
Jul 19, 2012, 12:50 PM
Fran Shammo, master of the obvious. ;)

willmtaylor
Jul 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
Doesn't their fiscal 4th quarter end in november? hence he could still mean september?

What is Apple's fiscal year? (http://investor.apple.com/faq.cfm?FaqSetID=3)
"Apple's fiscal year 2012 runs from September 25, 2011 through September 29, 2012."

And by "he" do you mean the VZW exec.? Why would he make such confusing remarks about Apple's fiscal year? Doesn't seem likely.

bgibson
Jul 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
Release on 1 year anniversary of Steve Jobs' death (October 5th) seems like a very real possibility

willmtaylor
Jul 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
Release on 1 year anniversary of Steve Jobs' death (October 5th) seems like a very real possibility

I said it earlier, but I'll say it again. This just seems like a ridiculous assumption. Why oh why would a company want to "celebrate" someone's (especially SJ's) death with new product launch? It would just be a dark cloud over the entire keynote. Seems plain wrong to me; it doesn't make sense.

SpectatorHere
Jul 19, 2012, 12:59 PM
because they are currently selling two different generational models and trying to downplay the issue except for cost... to entice people who are price sensitive to buy the lower cost model but not think of it as last year's technology.

and i have lost track of how many generations of phone they are still selling..LOL

This seems reasonable. The only thing I could counter with would be to bring up forums like this. How many posts have we seen dealing with the name? ...Not even considering what the phone will look like or cost, but just what name it will have. If they give up the numbers (which I agree, they are likely to do) they really are giving up quite a bit. Imagine how happy Samsung's people would be if there were posts upon posts of people speculating on what the next Galaxy would be called...

bgibson
Jul 19, 2012, 01:01 PM
A product launch on October 5th would obviously require a keynote well in advance of that date. It wouldn't be a "dark cloud" over the keynote as you state, because the connection wouldn't be made until the official launch date is announced (which is most often at the very end of the presentation).

SpectatorHere
Jul 19, 2012, 01:02 PM
I said it earlier, but I'll say it again. This just seems like a ridiculous assumption. Why oh why would a company want to "celebrate" someone's (especially SJ's) death with new product launch? It would just be a dark cloud over the entire keynote. Seems plain wrong to me; it doesn't make sense.

One more thing....

[Steve Jobs' stuffed body is rolled out on stage poised holding the new iPhone.]

Yeah, that wouldn't be creepy at all.

Or worse yet, they could have one of those horrible Disney animatronic robots with the moving lips and faux blinking eyes....

Sorry, I'm just enjoying this too much.

willmtaylor
Jul 19, 2012, 01:04 PM
One more thing....

[Steve Jobs' stuffed body is rolled out on stage poised holding the new iPhone.]

Yeah, that wouldn't be creepy at all.

That literally made me LOL. (And believe me, my use of such terms is very few and far between. Well done, sir/ma'am.

bgibson
Jul 19, 2012, 01:05 PM

Also, multiple sources have stated that the iPhone 5 and not the 4S was Steve Job's final contribution to Apple. A release date paying homage to him and the contributions he made would be appropriate in my opinion.

kalsta
Jul 19, 2012, 01:05 PM

There are two kinds of consumer. There is the kind that participates on MacRumors, eagerly awaiting the next release, gobling up every rumor, referring to the buyers guide to make a reasonably informed decision about when to buy... Then there is the kind that just knows they want a new phone this week, walks into a shop and buys one. Of course I'm over generalising a bit, but you surely know both kinds of buyer. Now tell me, which of these two needs the device generation to be clearly labelled? The first guy doesn't--he knows exactly what he's getting, down to the colour of the internals which he saw on the iFixit teardown. The second guy doesn't know and doesn't care--he just wants a phone (or possibly an iPhone specifically.)

It's in Apples interests to appeal to both types--the first generates excitement around a new launch, and the second keeps stock moving throuh the off season. A lower profile generation number possibly helps with the latter, while not really affecting the former.

shandyman
Jul 19, 2012, 01:19 PM

Yes cos you control what we all call it....

Plus apart from iPhone 6, all your ideas of what it will be called are ridiculous... The 4ST just cos it's tall?! Haha. I'm hoping your post was not serious...

It's either iPhone 5, 6 or the New iPhone. All those make sense. People will call it what they choose until apple announce otherwise. Deal with it..

cmChimera
Jul 19, 2012, 01:49 PM
About a year ago, before the 4S was revealed, I said "there's no way they're going to call it anything other than iPhone 5, they wont screw the numbering up again after getting back on track with 4"
but I followed up with
"the only reason the might call it anything other than the iPhone 5 is if they plan on getting rid of the numbering completely"
I still think I will be proven right in that last regard, the latest iPad certainly points to it.

It was never off track though. The iPhone 4 was the only one that was numbered.

forgotmyhandle
Jul 19, 2012, 02:00 PM
Did the Verizon exec hint at a potential launch of iPhone, or did he potentially hint at iPhone launch?

Sorry to troll, but this is almost news but not quite.

Navdakilla
Jul 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
4rth quarter? what happened to 3rd?!?!

:confused::confused::confused:

Mad-B-One
Jul 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
Sorry to troll, but this is almost news but not quite.

Correct. It is a rumor that the phone will not launch before Q4 this year - contrary to other rumors it might. There were rumors that the next iPhone is already in production hinting towards September and then rumors that it is in fact still in Engeneers' Testing hinting towards October or later. For "News Only," check your local paper. This is "News and Rumors."

PS: Don't admit to troll. Gets you into trouble.

rivertrip
Jul 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Blogger potentially hints at hint about potential rumor about a new iPhone ...

Mad-B-One
Jul 19, 2012, 02:11 PM

Plus apart from iPhone 6, all your ideas of what it will be called are ridiculous... The 4ST just cos it's tall?! Haha. I'm hoping your post was not serious...

It's either iPhone 5, 6 or the New iPhone. All those make sense. People will call it what they choose until apple announce otherwise. Deal with it..

On that note, let's call the New iPad: iPad 3. It is way too confusing to call it New iPad because they still sell the iPad 2 as "new" meaning not refurbished.

G5isAlive
Jul 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
This seems reasonable. The only thing I could counter with would be to bring up forums like this. How many posts have we seen dealing with the name? ...Not even considering what the phone will look like or cost, but just what name it will have. If they give up the numbers (which I agree, they are likely to do) they really are giving up quite a bit. Imagine how happy Samsung's people would be if there were posts upon posts of people speculating on what the next Galaxy would be called...

I would be surprised if Apple cares one bit about these forums. Not sure I have seen any sign that they do (in a positive way). Though you would think with the word of mouth publicity.. but it works both ways. People here speculate on what the next device is, build it into something its never ever going to be (tactile iPad just days before launch?), and then moan how it isn't what they speculated. There seems to be almost as much negative as positive.

NedBookPro
Jul 19, 2012, 02:38 PM
What is the "news" I am supposed to take away from this article?

That people are still debating what the phone will be called on release. :rolleyes:

Frobozz
Jul 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
So this execute reads MacRumors.com ?

Tiger8
Jul 19, 2012, 02:59 PM
I wonder if he re-iterated the fact that everyone who wants to keep their unlimited data plans have to pay the full price.... Hmmmm. :eek:

If Verizon users actually do this, then I'm sorry, they deserve to be taken advantage of. We all know that monthly plans already have 20 - $25 to subsidize phone cost (and then some). For you to pay full price AND use the same plans is beyond dumb.

No amount of data is worth $450

MacDav
Jul 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
It will happen again. iPhone's market share will dip to 10% as Mac vs Windows 20 years ago. iOS is good enough but Apple is too heavy, slow, and conservative. :apple:

I see. So Microsoft is now light, quick and cutting edge? :p

Ay_Zimmy
Jul 19, 2012, 03:08 PM

Just shut up already. It wouldn't cause any confusion I'm sick of these stupid posts. If it goes by family it's 3G 3Gs 4 4S the next family of phones is 5. Then the whole public would ask why they skipped over 5 and called it 6. Or even worse. The iPhone Tall or xl?? LMAO! Moronic.. it's easy to keep it on order. Ok we have the iPhone tall, now we're releasing the XL! Nah...

/rant

GimmeSlack12
Jul 19, 2012, 03:20 PM

I believe 5 comes after 4. I am missing something?

maustin1979
Jul 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
Anyone else think the redesigned 19 pin (allegedly) connector also appears to have a couple of little magnet either side in this render? I haven't read any rumors about this yet, but I have had one source tell me that's what he expects. I have no reason to believe he's got any kind of inside info at all, just probably read a rumor elsewhere....

and btw, it will be called whatever it is called whether we like it or not. Couldn't care less... unless it is something like iPhone labradoodle which would just be weird.

Surely there are more worthy ways to populate forum replies?

Shadyriley
Jul 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
Anyone else think the redesigned 19 pin (allegedly) connector also appears to have a couple of little magnet either side in this render? I haven't read any rumors about this yet, but I have had one source tell me that's what he expects. I have no reason to believe he's got any kind of inside info at all, just probably read a rumor elsewhere....

and btw, it will be called whatever it is called whether we like it or not. Couldn't care less... unless it is something like iPhone labradoodle which would just be weird.

Surely there are more worthy ways to populate forum replies?

I see some disadvantages to a MagSafe iphone charger

DJinTX
Jul 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
Customer walks into the AT&T Wireless store and says he wants to buy an iPhone. Associate walks up to him and says, "Okay, here are your choices: the new iPhone 6, the iPhone 4S, and the iPhone 4."

Customer's response:

Image (http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2c1lwquMR1r7sv4k.jpg)

I was sortof unsure on the eventual name until I read your scenario. In a retail situation where Apple wants to offer three generations of phones simultaneously, it would be pretty ridiculous to try to explain to customers why they jumped over 5 to go directly to 6.

Also, I don't envision an iPhone 5 anymore either. Looks like it will be "The new iPhone". Of course, I don't even really care about this anymore.

One thing I do care about though, I hope there is a very different design forthcoming in October for this new iPhone, and not just an elongated 4s.

jcbauerca
Jul 19, 2012, 04:07 PM

idc if they made this build slimmer.. come on apple :(

What if they use the same thickness but increase the battery life to 10 days like the ipad. Would you buy it?

phillipduran
Jul 19, 2012, 04:25 PM

Since it is called the iPhone 5G does that mean it's faster than LTE? :rolleyes:

Mike1298
Jul 19, 2012, 04:29 PM
everyone already knew that...

maroontiger2k9
Jul 19, 2012, 04:38 PM
What if they use the same thickness but increase the battery life to 10 days like the ipad. Would you buy it?

no, thats not a reason to upgrade a phone.. from an iphone 4

if tim cook, steps up on the keynote and says
1. its thinner
2. its got a longer battery
3. the prices
4. thanks for showing up..

you wont see me buying an iphone for another year

chrisbru
Jul 19, 2012, 04:38 PM
I see some disadvantages to a MagSafe iphone charger

What disadvantages do you see, may I ask? Assuming, of course, that they wouldn't change to Magsafe if it meant sacrificing any functionality the dock connector currently has.

tigress666
Jul 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
Rumors have been pegging the launch of the next-generation iPhone for the September/October timeframe, but with Verizon's fourth quarter not starting until October 1, Shammo's comment would point toward the latter half of the rumored timeframe.

Boo hiss! As some one who patience is not a virtue, not my favorite news. Probably right though :(.

----------

Since I can 't downvote you, I'll write downvote.

WHO CARES?!! It's already been argued over and over again. Quit beating a dead horse! They'll call it what they'll call it, it's not going to affect what the phone is. And none of us know. You get the point when people call it an iphone 5 that they are referring to the iphone they are releasing sometime this year so that is all that matters since none of us know what its name will be. Get over that you think it won't be called that and how dare anyone else name it what you think is wrong. It doesn't matter, you knew what they were referring to it as and that's all that matters right now.

Shadyriley
Jul 19, 2012, 05:30 PM
What disadvantages do you see, may I ask? Assuming, of course, that they wouldn't change to Magsafe if it meant sacrificing any functionality the dock connector currently has.

I think it would come unplugged all the time on accident, the cords are too short, I would grab my phone and the charger would snap off and I would get increasingly mad each time. It works on the computer because it's not so mobile, generally sits in one place. It would be nice to just grab the phone off the charger and go and this would fix the cords from tearing due to the yanking, but I dont know.

Lancer
Jul 19, 2012, 05:36 PM
Is this even news, isn't it well established fact that Apple will be updating the iPhone before the end of the year, most likely in the last 3 months?

doelcm82
Jul 19, 2012, 05:55 PM

How about "the iPhone between fear and sex".

Mr. Gates
Jul 19, 2012, 06:16 PM
Its looks exactly the same !

----------

I see. So Microsoft is now light, quick and cutting edge? :p

Actually ...Yes they are. Go to an AT&T store and try the NOKIA900

slimbek
Jul 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
I've seen some dodgy rumors reported on the internet... but this is way up there in terms of lack of content, obvious timelines and obvious products.

Must be a REALLY slow news day.

----------

You're missing the fact that the iPhone 4S is actually the 5th iPhone.

SlCKB0Y
Jul 19, 2012, 08:18 PM
Shammo could pass his comments off as simply an acknowledgment of the circulating rumors with no inside information coloring his perspective

Uhh, that exactly how I read it. He is saying sales have dropped because of the rumours of a new iPhone in the fourth quarter.

To read any otherwise is to do so with a wishful and biased skew.

Regardless of this, we know there will be a new iPhone before the end of the year

doelcm82
Jul 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
I've seen some dodgy rumors reported on the internet... but this is way up there in terms of lack of content, obvious timelines and obvious products.

Must be a REALLY slow news day.

----------

You're missing the fact that the iPhone 4S is actually the 5th iPhone.

On the other hand, the first iPhone might have been "beta", so we should start counting with the iPhone 3G.

No matter what number Apple chooses (if any) to append to the iPhone name, it will be completely, inarguably, obviously wrong. Don't believe me? Wait until it happens and watch the blogs.

Also the name (whatever it is) will be so ludicrous and offensive that it will kill sales, and Apple will immediately fade into obscurity. That's my prediction.

I'll probably be the only one in the world to pre-order it.

MacDav
Jul 19, 2012, 09:43 PM
Its looks exactly the same !

----------

Actually ...Yes they are. Go to an AT&T store and try the NOKIA900

As long as they need Nokia to make the hardware they will never have the tight integration that comes built in to every Apple device. I will say if Nokia is their only partner they'll have less fragmentation than Android. Answer me this. If Microsoft is so cutting edge, why are they still supporting the "Registry" in Windows 8?

vpndev
Jul 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
I don't know what accounting periods Verizon uses but mid-July is half-way through Apple's fourth quarter.

Apple's financial year is the same as the U.S. Federal Government -- 1 Oct to 30 Sept. So the fourth quarter is half-gone.

Maybe all you smart folks would like to ask Mr Verizon which financial year *he* was using?

slimbek
Jul 19, 2012, 11:06 PM
On the other hand, the first iPhone might have been "beta", so we should start counting with the iPhone 3G.

No matter what number Apple chooses (if any) to append to the iPhone name, it will be completely, inarguably, obviously wrong. Don't believe me? Wait until it happens and watch the blogs.

Also the name (whatever it is) will be so ludicrous and offensive that it will kill sales, and Apple will immediately fade into obscurity. That's my prediction.

I'll probably be the only one in the world to pre-order it.

I doubt the original was deemed a Beta, especially since the iPhone 4 was actually #4... but either way, you are right in saying the world will potentially self-implode once they announce the name.

This new phone could literally make my breakfast and the tech blogs will still focus on the 'absurd' name... :rolleyes:

RobertMartens
Jul 19, 2012, 11:42 PM

You don't celebrate the day someone died. You celebrate the day someone was born.

If the person was killed maybe you'd 'mark' the day but major product announcements on such a solemn day, I think they will avoid that.

Also, why do people look for patterns.

The new pattern is... 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S... so what's new phone called...

Launch in June
Launch in July
Launch in October, so what's next...

There is no pattern unless they tell you they are doing it on purpose.
And since Apple never tells anyone anything. I see no 'patterns'

RobertMartens
Jul 20, 2012, 12:20 AM
"Apple's next iteration of the iPhone could drop in the fourth quarter."

I can't believe it. Even told us the name of the new phone.

'iPhone Next iTeration'

I don't know about you but I like it.

33man
Jul 20, 2012, 12:32 AM

1. its thinner
3. the prices

Hmm you are wrong:

1. Do all the history of Apple products how they are amazing and how they are sold everywhere.
2. The status of the new iPad, sales numbers.... Blabla
3. Apple store keep to grow so new stuff/redesigned l&f...
4. Siri. What a great invention.... So now introducing SIRO, the same as Siri but with a sexy fireman voice for all the girls that are jealous of Siri...
5. iOS Map, amazing, now you can explode your monthly data plan just using a GPS..
6. FaceTime on 3G, not compatible with 4G...
7. What else ?
8. Ha yeah, THE NEW IPHONE,
8.1. its thinner
8.2. its got a longer battery
8.3. the prices
9. Bye, I'm going back to my desk to count all my money...

:)

daneoni
Jul 20, 2012, 01:00 AM
Haha his last name is Shammo...haha

tech4all
Jul 20, 2012, 01:08 AM

iPhone 3 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S > iPhone 5. Makes perfect sense.

wovel
Jul 20, 2012, 01:37 AM
Maybe we can get a super cool name like the: "Mega iPhone Space Touch Extreme Prime"

----------

iPhone 3 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S > iPhone 5. Makes perfect sense.

It Went: iPhone, iPhone 3G (Service Description), iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (Was in fact the 4th iPhone), iPhone 4S (Naming mistake that led to all this confusion). Apple always knew the next one would be the iPhone 4G. They named the current model 4S to linger around the land of 4 and keep the 4 in the name because of all the 4G hype.

----------

It is the iPhone 4G.

----------

As long as they need Nokia to make the hardware they will never have the tight integration that comes built in to every Apple device. I will say if Nokia is their only partner they'll have less fragmentation than Android. Answer me this. If Microsoft is so cutting edge, why are they still supporting the "Registry" in Windows 8?

I am not any kind of MS Fan. But why hate the registry.

----------

We have already had 5 iPhones. The only iPhone that used its place in the list as the name was the iPhone 4. I doubt they will call the new one 5 or 6. 4G makes the most sense. Simply "iPhone" is next on my list.

shandyman
Jul 20, 2012, 02:32 AM
It is the iPhone 4G.

Wow, thanks Tim Cook for coming here and giving us that exclusive...... :rolleyes:

You can't say tht as a factual statement as you have as it's just a guess. I highly doubt they'll call it the 4G, but we'll see. In the meantime, majority of people online will continue to call it te iPhone 5 until apple announce otherwise. Deal with it and find something better to do than convince the Internet to change what they do....

MythicFrost
Jul 20, 2012, 02:33 AM
It will either be called the iPhone 5, if Apple continues with the current naming system, or the new iPhone, if Apple switches to the same naming system as was introduced with the third generation iPad, and it'll be referred to either as that, or as the sixth generation iPhone.

D-Dave
Jul 20, 2012, 03:45 AM

Hm, if I look at the hardware restrictions / guidelines for Win8 phones I don't think there will be much fragmentation...if any...

...and why the hate for the Registry? It is a necessity for Win8 to make it backwards compatible with tons of Software...a thing that I personally like very much as it lets me use those Programs I spend hundreds of bucks on just a tidbit longer.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Desktop Windows 8 (in it's current state) is almost as messy as Vista was but hopefully they will come around with the next version like they did with Win7 (which I like using just as much as I like using OS X...thank god the downvote button is gone;))

danielowenuk
Jul 20, 2012, 05:43 AM
It is the iPhone 4G.

Only in certain countries? I very much doubt it, they had all sorts of issues calling the "New iPad" 4G, I doubt they would make that mistake with iPhone.

ixodes
Jul 20, 2012, 07:35 AM

1. its thinner
3. the prices

I agree with your thoughts about what could possibly happen. It's very refreshing to see that at least you won't be one of the lemmings, that flock to buy a new iPhone, no matter how bland.

Me? I'm with you. Not only will I _not_ be buying one, I'll be pretty disgusted with Apple. A company I've been extremely loyal to.

A company I used to enjoy spending vast sums of money on, as I bought their latest laptops, desktops & peripherals. A company whose become so focused on infiltrating everyone's mind as they become a slightly different version of Walmart, that they've drifted away from truly exciting products, as they perform their marketing "Magic" on the masses.

KnightWRX
Jul 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
the "New iPad"

The new "iPad". New is not part of the model name. They use new only to denote it is new. Next year, it'll be The new "iPad" again.

charlituna
Jul 20, 2012, 08:26 AM
That's what everyone is suspecting anyways.

Exactly. The last one was the same timing so this one is expected to be the same. it isn't like he said a particular month etc.

----------

I can tell you that that date won't be the product release for sure. MAYBE the announcement. And I can say this with 100% certainty.

Why? Because that day is already on the calendar as part of the whole Apple Camp thing. A good half the day will be devoted to that, if not the whole day and there's no way they could logistically do both. And that whole Camp thing doesn't end until that weekend so they wouldn't want it and iPhone crowds tramping around the store.

Announce it the 7th and release it the following week maybe.

----------

If Apple feels they have found the winning design they will keep it. They don't redesign just to do it. Be it phones, iPads, computers, software UIs etc.

----------

You're right, it isn't likely to be called the iPhone 6. But it won't be called the iPhone 5 because then folks will be all "that's dumb, it's the 6th phone not the first one"

The name will be the iPhone. Full Stop. Just like they did with the iPad. Tech material will call it the iPhone (6th Gen) or iPhone (2012) just like the retina iPad is referenced.

And folks will be confused regardless cause much of the work are basically tech idiots and no matter what you do they will be confused.

Mad-B-One
Jul 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
For Apple to keep the same type of design 3 phones in a row would be a surprise.

How is that so? iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS had the same design - besides, the leaked parts suggest that the next iPhone does not have the same design. It won't have a glass back, it will be taller, the headphone jack goes south (bottom), the dock connector is different, the screen ratio is different, the camera moved in the front, the metal finish is different... certainly not the same design.

TurnTronics
Jul 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
The countdown has begun! Excited to see what Apple has in store for us :)

MacDav
Jul 20, 2012, 02:10 PM
Hm, if I look at the hardware restrictions / guidelines for Win8 phones I don't think there will be much fragmentation...if any...

...and why the hate for the Registry? It is a necessity for Win8 to make it backwards compatible with tons of Software...a thing that I personally like very much as it lets me use those Programs I spend hundreds of bucks on just a tidbit longer.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Desktop Windows 8 (in it's current state) is almost as messy as Vista was but hopefully they will come around with the next version like they did with Win7 (which I like using just as much as I like using OS X...thank god the downvote button is gone;))

Hate is a pretty strong word. I don't hate the registry, I just think it's a one stop shopping mall for any virus that comes along. It's time has long passed. Yes, they are keeping it alive for backwards compatibility reasons. They will have to "bite the bullet" at some point. I have a Mac Pro with 6 hard drives one of the drives is dedicated to Win 7. I seem to be using it less and less though. To each his own. Both systems will let you do whatever you need to do. So enjoy Win 8

Mad-B-One
Jul 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
...see, the data plan restriction on Verizon was something, I was really struggling with having my Black iPhone 4 CDMA 32GB since launch on Verizon. Now, I can upgrade on October 10 for free. But ultimately, even with the new iPhone, I would loose my unlimited data. Darned! So, I dwelled on the fact that my current phone looses calls if they are longer, has sometimes problems with connecting to 3G (switch to airplane mode and back fixed it) and I thought, I better check on my ticket if they found out what is going wrong. Just in that moment, my phone showed a circle instead of 3G again. So, I punched a few # (the tech service wanted me to do that so they can check on the system the status at that time) and went to airplane mode and back, and sure enough: 4 bars 3G. So I callen VZN and after that nice lady checking, she said: "Well I guess it's your phone. It is still under warranty. But we don't have an iPhone 4 with 32GB. Would a refurb black iPhone 4S 32GB be okay? It's going out overnight. Due to the weekend, you will have it on Monday." There-ya-go! Unlimited data and upgrade. Now, I can dwell until March on if the next phone will be worth it to switch to T-Mobile or Sprint, depending on what reception they have here by then. Thank you Verizon.

SlCKB0Y
Jul 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
I highly doubt they'll call it the 4G

This is probably the least likely name out of the bunch given the legal issues that arose with their 4G marketing of the new iPad outside of the US (Europe/UK and Australia).

"The New iPhone"?