Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by 9to5Mac, Apple has turned on its iTunes Match service in Hungary and Poland today. Notably, the additions appear to make the Scandinavian countries of Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden the only ones of the over 60 countries in which Apple offers music through the iTunes Store to not have access to iTunes Match.

itunes_match-500x314.png

iTunes Match is Apple's subscription service that allows users to access their entire music libraries from a variety of Internet-connected devices via the cloud. Users' music libraries are matched to the iTunes Music Store catalog to quickly make many tracks available for download, with unmatched tracks being uploaded to Apple's servers. iTunes Match is priced at EUR24.99 annually in Hungary and Poland, the same as in other Euro countries.

Article Link: iTunes Match Goes Live in Hungary and Poland

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wrong. Sweden doesn't have iTunes Match either, as well as Norway.

You're right...I knew that, but then I saw a Wikipedia chart that said otherwise and the discrepancy didn't register.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I hate the fact the we don't have it in Denmark yet.
Don't know if its apple there are slow or the some people there have control over the rights there are standing in the way...
The only thing in iTunes we can re-download in Denmark are app's and books, witch sucks.
so hope that apple get iTunes Match out to Denmark the same time the world get Mountain Lion or sooner.

Last edited:

Enori

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Poland
You should be able to access it here.

Thanks. Someone from Poland bought it already but he's not able to use it yet, so I will wait.

EmpyreanUK said:
Neither Hungary nor Poland is a member of the Eurozone.

But we have App Store and iTunes Store prices in euros. Not really affordable with average salary in Poland in mind.

freemini

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Norway
iTunes Match sounds like my only hope to leave Spotify, sadly Apple is taking their time enabling it in Norway.

wickoo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
iTunes Match sounds like my only hope to leave Spotify, sadly Apple is taking their time enabling it in Norway.
I don't really see them as competition. iTunes Match forces you to pay the annual fee plus the price of every song you want to listen to.

Spotify lets you listen to any song after subscribing. Right?

tmhale13

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
World beware

I just want to alert the world to an issue that we have seen (at least) here in the U.S. Apple went live with iTunes Match back in November. Shortly after that, customers (myself included) started noticing that any Explicit songs that were "Matched" were being replaced with the Clean version from iTunes. So if you had a song that was not labeled upon initial setup as either "Purchased" or "Uploaded", it would be listed as "Matched". These particular songs, when re-downloaded to get higher bitrate or whatever, come back as the Edited versions. Apple has still not corrected this issue for it's current customers. I have opened numerous tickets with Apple and all I ever hear back is some version of "We are aware of the issue and we are working on it". Now 6 months down the road and they are "still working on it"? Really? This is not something that should still be an issue. It should be a simple coding entry that prompts the customer to select whether they want explicit or clean versions when two are found. Not rocket science people! They could even do a little extra work and have this option available on a "by song" basis. Although I would prefer a radio button in the iTunes Preferences that let's me simply opt for Explicit songs when available.

But DO NOT delete your current library. Make a good back-up before signing up and keep it safe. Otherwise you will simply lose any of these "Matched" and Explicit songs.

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
Hopefully they can figure out deals to bring this to Sweden soon. I can't wait!

Yes, I would sign up instantly.
Strange that the nordic countries always is low priority.
Sure, we're not that many people but we have more or less the worlds best internet connections, both wired and 3G/4G and many early adopters.

edtwodth

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
Esbjerg, Denmark
About the nordic countries

it's a problem with new services every time in the nordic countries. The last time it was spotify.

I have written to the MINISTRY OF CULTURE for an answer to why we have this problem every time.

The danish owners of the music rights is very old school, that can be the problem.

iEdtwodth
/iedtwodth.dk

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i still wonder how on earth they convinced the GEMA also known as the biggest mother+++++ on earth in germany

sasza

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
Finland
It's Apple's revenge on Scandinavia for inventing Spotify :D
But iTunes match will come here eventually, it's only matter of time & patience.
I'm happy for Poland & Hungary, enjoy it friends!

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Wake me when they a tally allow 1080p films to be purchased and downloaded on the desktop.

...oh, and when prices are competitive with dvd &bluray.

......maybe also when they add iTunes extra/LP support to iPad.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Wrong. Sweden doesn't have iTunes Match either, as well as Norway.

Yap, that is what the article says:
Notably, the additions appear to make the Scandinavian countries of Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden the only ones of the over 60 countries in which Apple offers music through the iTunes Store to not have access to iTunes Match.

I guess that was added after your comment?

----------

i still wonder how on earth they convinced the GEMA also known as the biggest mother+++++ on earth in germany

They told them: "Die haben schon bezahlt." (They already paid.) :D

This is a pun towards their commercial about paying your fees annually for listening to radio: "Hast du schon gezahlt?" - "Did you pay already?"

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Yes, I would sign up instantly.
Strange that the nordic countries always is low priority.
Sure, we're not that many people but we have more or less the worlds best internet connections, both wired and 3G/4G and many early adopters.

I don't think Scandinavia is a low priority, as generally they have small but strong economies. I am guessing the real issue relates more so to ownership rights and questions of if this apple model would devalue the current model.

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
I don't think Scandinavia is a low priority, as generally they have small but strong economies. I am guessing the real issue relates more so to ownership rights and questions of if this apple model would devalue the current model.

You're probably right. It's just frustrating :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.