PDA

View Full Version : NewRule: Read this before Posting!


arn
Nov 8, 2002, 10:30 PM
New posts that are NOT clearly hardware rumors will be deleted, rather than moved.

This is to try to encourage people to post in the correct place to begin with.

arn

TyleRomeo
Nov 10, 2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by arn
New posts that are NOT clearly hardware rumors will be deleted, rather than moved.

This is to try to encourage people to post in the correct place to begin with.

arn

thanks arn for the notice, i hope the newbies out there are reading this. keep up the good work arn

tyler

beez7777
Nov 10, 2002, 11:15 AM
this is a good thing. i can imagine how frustrating it is for you moving posts that are in incorrect forums.
i know that this has been a problem mainly in hardware rumors, but should we assume that this goes for software rumors and other forums as well?

gopher
Nov 10, 2002, 11:15 AM
I find people quibbling about DDR in the posts below rather obnoxious...is it really a hardware rumor, or a debate about Apple's speed or lack thereof?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14046

Strictly speaking if it isn't sources directly dealing with supposed updates, these speed wars IMHO should be fought elsewhere. Apple's speed is sufficient, yet all these PC trolls come in and say it isn't. IMHO all the posts that don't actually deal with possible future upgrades should be deleted. It bespeaks volumes that a site that is a rumor based site gets into such a frenzy over speed issues. If someone has a technical problem they should be directed to another board.

MacCoaster
Nov 10, 2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by gopher
Apple's speed is sufficient, yet all these PC trolls come in and say it isn't.
That's subjective, ya know, nullifying what you said. It's quite appropriate if a professional needs nothing but speed and a nice OS on top of it. Most renderfarms don't use Macs to render a final composite of a film because they lack the speed they need.

It depends on the person and their needs.

beez7777
Nov 10, 2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by MacCoaster

That's subjective, ya know, nullifying what you said. It's quite appropriate if a professional needs nothing but speed and a nice OS on top of it. Most renderfarms don't use Macs to render a final composite of a film because they lack the speed they need.

It depends on the person and their needs.

subjective as it is, this is MacRumors, not MacComplaints. if they are going to do that, they should at least do it in community discussion or something, not hardware rumors.

arn
Nov 11, 2002, 01:46 PM
MacRoni's thread on Laptop Bags was deleted.

I'd encourage people NOT to reply to threads that are clearly not Hardware Rumors in this forum, as they will be deleted to.

Sorry to be such a hardass on this... but people need to learn.

arn

agreenster
Nov 11, 2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by gopher
I find people quibbling about DDR in the posts below rather obnoxious...is it really a hardware rumor, or a debate about Apple's speed or lack thereof?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14046

Strictly speaking if it isn't sources directly dealing with supposed updates, these speed wars IMHO should be fought elsewhere. Apple's speed is sufficient, yet all these PC trolls come in and say it isn't. IMHO all the posts that don't actually deal with possible future upgrades should be deleted. It bespeaks volumes that a site that is a rumor based site gets into such a frenzy over speed issues. If someone has a technical problem they should be directed to another board.

People are still upset about this thread? Good grief.

Besides, I dont see anything wrong with Apple users (which I AM, I own 3 PowerMacs, including a G4 Powerbook) wanting to see the most advanced and latest technology in their hardware. I am a high end user, and require major performance from the computers I use. I just happen to find that performance more reliable and better priced on PC's nowadays. I wish I could say the opposite, but it simply isnt true.

You know, someone like you who begs that "In their 'humble' opinion" these threads should be deleted might just be in denial that maybe (just maybe) there are computers out there who are really sticking it to Apple. Maybe Apple users should know that our computers are (in many ways) sub-par.

Furthermore, it makes you look like a crybaby when you go sobbing to Arn that the "PC trolls" are being mean again, while begging him to delete the posts. Please.

Plus, this post isnt technically a hardware rumor either, now is it? Maybe we should blow it away too.

redAPPLE
Nov 11, 2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by arn
New posts that are NOT clearly hardware rumors will be deleted, rather than moved.

This is to try to encourage people to post in the correct place to begin with.

arn

does it mean, only falsely posted posts (which are not hardware rumors) will be deleted?

what about the other posts that may not be in the correct forum?

zorblaz
Nov 11, 2002, 10:40 PM
does that mean this post will be deleted since it doesn't deal with this topic....? heh heh

*ahem*

yeah yeah... i'm a 'newbie' around here. I'll shut up now.

*hangs head in shame for posting this*

:D

benixau
Nov 16, 2002, 03:25 PM
so what about all those posts that go from whether apple is going to give us new machines into physics fights, will they aswell

DakotaGuy
Nov 16, 2002, 04:06 PM
Yeah I have messed up before, a couple of times, not because I meant too...just cause I was in the wrong place when I posted at the wrong time...sorry I will try to be better in the future....

eyeluvmyimac
Nov 19, 2002, 03:49 PM
Hey arn,
I'm a newb as you can see, so I apologize if you've been asked this many times before, but how exactly did you get your name/what does it mean?

Also, do you run the forums? The site? Parts?

Thanks

Hemingray
Nov 19, 2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by eyeluvmyimac
Hey arn,
I'm a newb as you can see, so I apologize if you've been asked this many times before, but how exactly did you get your name/what does it mean?

Also, do you run the forums? The site? Parts?

Thanks

I won't answer for him, but here's a hint: macrumors god is synonymous with The Man. :D

And in response to this new rule, I couldn't agree more with it. It shouldn't be the moderators' responsibility to have to fix what other people screw up (i.e. moving a thread to the correct forum). If people can't figure out how to post a new topic in the correct forum, they really have no business posting in the first place. (Although we all do make mistakes once in awhile...)

arn
Nov 21, 2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by eyeluvmyimac
Hey arn,
I'm a newb as you can see, so I apologize if you've been asked this many times before, but how exactly did you get your name/what does it mean?

Also, do you run the forums? The site? Parts?

Thanks

arn is short for arnold

I run the site and forums... with some assist from the moderators.

arn

arn
Nov 23, 2002, 12:40 PM
looprumors' post deleted - not hardware rumors.

arn

Durandal7
Jan 7, 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by arn
New posts that are NOT clearly hardware rumors will be deleted, rather than moved.


Hey folks, now that MWSF is over we should all read this rule again. If you want to gush or bitch then post it in General Mac Discussion so we don't have to put up with it here.

benixau
Jan 11, 2003, 08:25 AM
arn, is it just me or have you changed the name of this forum to hardware discussion and removed the rumors section all together?

am i the first to notice?