PDA

View Full Version : Apple Expands iTunes Movies in the Cloud to Over 35 New Countries [Updated]

MacRumors
Jul 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/apple-expands-itunes-movies-in-the-cloud-to-uk-canada-australia-and-new-zealand/)

In addition to today's iTunes Match expansion (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/itunes-match-goes-live-in-hungary-and-portugal-denmark-still-left-out/) to Hungary and Poland, Apple has also undertaken a significant expansion of its iTunes in the Cloud feature, adding movies to the list of eligible items in the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/itunes_movies_cloud_uk.jpg

We've heard from several UK users who have reported that only a small fraction of their purchased movies are currently shown as eligible for re-download, through iTunes in the Cloud, but Apple indicates that "most" content should be included in the program.

The expansion marks the first time iTunes in the Cloud has been available for movies outside of the United States. The feature provides additional flexibility for those who have purchased movies through the iTunes Store, allowing them to download the content as needed on any computer, iOS device, or Apple TV.

iTunes in the Cloud for music and music videos is available in over 50 countries (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5085) around the world, and support for TV shows has also been available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia. Re-downloads of apps and books are permitted throughout Apple's digital store markets.

Update: Steven Troughton-Smith notes (https://twitter.com/#!/stroughtonsmith/status/226015014706880512) that iTunes in the Cloud for movies is also live in Ireland.

Update 2: The feature has also gone live in many of Apple's Latin American markets, including Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and Venezuela.

Update 3: Many of Apple's Asia-Pacific markets are also included: Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.

Update 4: In Europe, the following countries are also seeing iTunes in the Cloud for movies: Czech Republic, Hungary, and Slovakia.

Article Link: Apple Expands iTunes Movies in the Cloud to Over 35 New Countries [Updated] (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/apple-expands-itunes-movies-in-the-cloud-to-uk-canada-australia-and-new-zealand/)

Dagless
Jul 19, 2012, 01:05 PM
It's about time :) I held off on buying any content that I couldn't re-download later. Time to get a few films methinks.

Edit: Oh that's a shame. I can't redownload any redeemed films. Big let down there.

lowonthe456
Jul 19, 2012, 01:06 PM
In the US, Fox's movies STILL do not support this. And I have not bought a single Fox movie since becuase they still haven't done it. I have 86 movies purchased from iTunes so far....

bandalay
Jul 19, 2012, 01:06 PM
That's it…slow and methodical…moving inexorably towards world domination.

<evil laugh>

iDuel
Jul 19, 2012, 01:07 PM
Awesome! It's certainly good that Apple is expanding its iCloud offerings throughout the world.

Yelmurc
Jul 19, 2012, 01:07 PM
Great news, though I'm still waiting for them to get Fox and MGM on board for iCloud in the US.

MattJessop
Jul 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
YASS.

Seriously, this actually means that there is a major reason for me to want to buy stuff from iTunes over physical. Cause the price so far hasn't been in it's favour to be honest.

Has anybody tested to see if it works with digital copies?

Ciclismo
Jul 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
I wonder what the hold up is getting this to Germany? Chances are those muppets at GEMA are blocking this because they want more money for the "artists" (i.e. the fat cars at the production companies).

apernett
Jul 19, 2012, 01:09 PM
The functionality also appears on iTunes Store Colombia in Latin America. yay Apple! Now, can you please exert your magical powers over TV execs so we can have tv shows as well? And please roll out the iTunes Gift Cards for my country as well. Will be appreciated.

bilbo--baggins
Jul 19, 2012, 01:09 PM
Thank the lord.

SD449
Jul 19, 2012, 01:10 PM
bit shocked that Disney films don't seem to be supported

hppy29
Jul 19, 2012, 01:10 PM
We just need the bump from 720 to 1080 on films now in the UK, seems silly that we can only get 1080 TV shows!

SD449
Jul 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
YASS.

I have a digital copy of MI Ghost Protocol that it will let me download :D

jetison
Jul 19, 2012, 01:13 PM
iTunes Movies in the Cloud has also been expanded to Latin America. I'm from Argentina and I'm currently seeing on the iTunes Store, the banner giving the news.
Terms and Conditions have been updated accordingly.

SD449
Jul 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
can you please exert your magical powers over TV execs so we can have tv shows as well?

I can download copies of TV shows in the UK, I assumed this was all part of the same

bilbo--baggins
Actually - most of the movies I've purchased aren't showing. Strange?

Schizoid
I'm sure I've bought a few films in the past... they don't show up... but buying Batman Begins as it's only a fiver!

BMNB1tch
Jul 19, 2012, 01:15 PM
The Present Day meet Hollywood, Hollywood meet the Present Day:D

DraziGuy
Jul 19, 2012, 01:16 PM
I'm in Canada. Only three of the 13 movies I have purchased are available (Toy Story 1,2,3 which were actually Blu-Ray digital copy redemptions).

Crosbie
Jul 19, 2012, 01:17 PM
Mine's showing 'no purchases' on iPad here in the UK. I've bought a few films straight on iTunes and have a handful of digital copy downloads too.

Egs: Happy-Go-Lucky, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Black Swan, Where the Wild Things Are.

[EDIT]: All good now. :)

cube
Jul 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
Dubbed movies FAIL.

ipedro
Jul 19, 2012, 01:19 PM
I've been waiting to re-purchase my movie collection in digital form because I didn't want the hassle of backing up. I will do so now.

Unlike TV shows, I rarely watch movies more than once or twice so renting them has been the rule for me. My collection of DVDs is small and limited to my all time favourites. I'll now be buying them on iTunes and selling the discs.

Of note, of the movies that I did purchase, none of them are yet available on my AppleTV so I'm assuming that this change is still being propagated across the system. Fingers crossed that there aren't any studio exceptions.

Tezcatlipoca
Jul 19, 2012, 01:21 PM

Ditto :)

Unfortunately, though, Ghost Protocol is the *only* one of my Digital Copies that's actually available :(

None of my Fox Digital Copies are available (although further up this page it's mentioned that that's still the case in the US)...plus I have stuff from Paramount , Universal, and Warner that's also not available :(

Rebel Hedgehog
Jul 19, 2012, 01:21 PM
Only bought one movie 'The Goonies' and not showing up

Seems pointless if they are only allowing a few movies?

shandyman
Jul 19, 2012, 01:23 PM

My digital copy doesn't let me have HD, just SD :(

Rideherhard
Jul 19, 2012, 01:23 PM
none of my movies are showing up, ffs

miniroll32
Jul 19, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'll take iTunes Movies & TV Shows seriously when

they're cheaper, and
they're higher quality.

For now, Handbrake is our friend.

akbarali.ch
Jul 19, 2012, 01:26 PM
Good to hear that icloud is expanding.

Any love for India, anytime soon ?

Tezcatlipoca
Jul 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
I'm guessing that the current lack of Warner, Fox, etc. etc. may be due to their support of the "Ultraviolet" Digital Copy system. If so, then that's extremely annoying. It's bad enough that many new BDs (e.g. from Warner) now use Ultraviolet for Digital Copies, but for it to also prevent existing Digital Copies from being available in iTunes in the Cloud is stupid.

afd
Jul 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
So far only toy story 1 and 2 showing up for me.

unobtainium
Jul 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
Wait, what? Does this mean that, previously, if you bought a movie from iTunes you could only download it once? So if say you bought a movie and then your hard drive died, you'd have to re-purchase to get it back? That's insane.

nuckinfutz
Jul 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
Wait, what? Does this mean that, previously, if you bought a movie from iTunes you could only download it once? So if say you bought a movie and then your hard drive died, you'd have to re-purchase to get it back? That's insane.

Yup. That's how it "was"

ThunderSkunk
Jul 19, 2012, 01:39 PM
As long as netflix offers unlimited streaming movies & tv shows for $8.00 a month, I don't see the attraction of "buying" one movie at a time for half that, & storing huge files...

This whole approach feels obsolete.

HelveticaNeue
Jul 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
The movies I have bought in Canada are from Warner and Paramount and they do not appear. When looking them up in iTunes, they all say "When purchased, this movie will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud".

Nice.

macpeach55
Jul 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
I wonder what the hold up is getting this to Germany? Chances are those muppets at GEMA are blocking this because they want more money for the "artists" (i.e. the fat cars at the production companies).

Why do you think production companies have anything to do with where GEMA money goes? That is a totally different side of the business!
(Oh, and I think you meant "fat cats")

ipedro
Jul 19, 2012, 01:51 PM
Universal movies are excluded also. Back to the Future states that

When purchased, this movie will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud

Well. What studios are included??

I've always steered away from piracy but all these politics really turn me off to getting my content legally. There are more restrictions and inconveniences to actually paying for your content than to just rip a DVD and be done with it.

hppy29
Jul 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
At last we are now getting some 1080 movie content in the uk

I've so far spotted Warhorse in 1080... C'mon apple push those studios for more 1080 content!!!

Rideherhard
Jul 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
The movies I have bought in Canada are from Warner and Paramount and they do not appear. When looking them up in iTunes, they all say "When purchased, this movie will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud".

Nice.

every movie I've looked at all says this!! I think very few are in the cloud. I hate movie studios.

petvas
Jul 19, 2012, 01:53 PM

Yes, it is getting ridiculous...I hope we will get iCloud for movies soon...

Bolehillbilly
Jul 19, 2012, 01:53 PM
Only one film currently showing. Really wish they'd extend it to audiobooks.

frosty001
Jul 19, 2012, 01:54 PM
So far no movies showing up for me in the UK. I know I bought Hancock at some point. Only checked the iOS iTunes Store Purchased page do far.

Maybe this is slowly rolling out.

David Menzel
Jul 19, 2012, 01:55 PM
Nothing happens in Germany... :( Very sad!

Rideherhard
Jul 19, 2012, 01:57 PM
Yes, it is getting ridiculous...I hope we will get iCloud for movies soon...

Your not really missing much as almost every movie isn't available in the cloud, well in Canada it seems this way.

Navdakilla
Jul 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
For some reason I still prefer buying the actual Blu-ray and then ripping and converting for home sharing. Something about actually physically owning the media :D

dona83
Jul 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
As long as netflix offers unlimited streaming movies & tv shows for $8.00 a month, I don't see the attraction of "buying" one movie at a time for half that, & storing huge files...

You don't have kids, do you. :) Netflix Kids section is a GodSend but my three year old will watch Cars and Cars 2 over and over and over again, neither which are available on Netflix anyway.

BTW here in Canada, only my Pixar movies are available for redownload.

DraziGuy
Jul 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
I was looking forward to this for a while. Now that it is here, I am quite underwhelmed. I wonder why Apple even bothered to roll out such a useless feature. I just spent a few minutes browsing the Canadian store and didn't find a single film included in the dozen I browsed through at random.

aristotle
Jul 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Are the movies in 1080p now in iTunes Canada or are we still stuck with 720p?

odedia
Jul 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
Still waiting for some breadcrumbs here in Israel................

M-O
Jul 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
iTunes match for movies, please.

kiwiboi87
Jul 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
got the option in NZ, but no movies showing up.

i wish apple would offer tv shows to us already

newagemac
Jul 19, 2012, 02:23 PM
Actually - most of the movies I've purchased aren't showing. Strange?

No. It was just announced and it takes some time for it to filter down to the store and every server. Same thing happened when it was first introduced in the U.S. it took a few days (maybe even a week) for all the supported content to show as available and some people would see it before others.

It doesn't just happen all at once. That's not how cloud based servers work.

anzio
Jul 19, 2012, 02:23 PM
Lots more movies appearing in Canada. Looks like it's rolling out.

Sidenote: 1080p movies are in Canada now. (Look at Four Christmases)

jayfehr
Jul 19, 2012, 02:24 PM
I'm in Canada. Only three of the 13 movies I have purchased are available (Toy Story 1,2,3 which were actually Blu-Ray digital copy redemptions).

None of mine are showing. I should have a dozen or so. Big ones I know that are still available are Watchman and Quantum of Solace. I'm a little disappointed.

Oh, restarted iTunes and one came up. In Bruges. Maybe it's a slow roll out too.

edit: apparently Quantum of Solace has been removed

newagemac
Jul 19, 2012, 02:28 PM
Of course it's a slow roll out. Wow people are really impatient. This is about hilarious as the people who completely judged the new Maps app in iOS 6 off of Beta 1.

apernett
Jul 19, 2012, 02:31 PM
No. It was just announced and it takes some time for it to filter down to the store and every server. Same thing happened when it was first introduced in the U.S. it took a few days (maybe even a week) for all the supported content to show as available and some people would see it before others.

It doesn't just happen all at once. That's not how cloud based servers work.

Not only that. An update to the itunes.app is also mandatory because in the preferences pane there is no option to download content for movies yet, whereas there is an option for music, apps and books.

pjhamill
Jul 19, 2012, 02:31 PM
Not all movies are available in the cloud. My digital copy of Mission Impossible IV was however.

http://f.cl.ly/items/3U1d163q2H3P0X0d0B02/Screen%20Shot%202012-07-19%20at%2020.29.28.png

Bevz
Jul 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
none of my movies are showing up, ffs

I think i've bought about 10 movies from iTunes over the years, only 1 is showing up... And it's the one i'm not too bothered about! :(

pjhamill
Jul 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
Not only that. An update to the itunes.app is also mandatory because in the preferences pane there is no option to download content for movies yet, whereas there is an option for music, apps and books.

Is there an automatic option for American users? Difference between books, music and apps is they're usually not a large file size.

bushido
Jul 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
Not all movies are available in the cloud. My digital copy of Mission Impossible IV was however.

Image (http://f.cl.ly/items/3U1d163q2H3P0X0d0B02/Screen%20Shot%202012-07-19%20at%2020.29.28.png)

speaking off, i love how renting is more expensive than getting the BluRay lol .... talk about crazy price structures. no wonder, digital media (besides music which is cheaper and drm free) is not taking off :eek:

Is there an automatic option for American users? Difference between books, music and apps is they're usually not a large file size.

should be auto, when i switch to my US account its there, when i switch to my german account its not

Allenbf
Jul 19, 2012, 02:36 PM
I hate to ask a stupid question, but I'm still new to Apple and the iCloud: How much iCloud space must some of you have, to have that many movies? Surely not the limited space that Apple gives?

bushido
Jul 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
I hate to ask a stupid question, but I'm still new to Apple and the iCloud: How much iCloud space must some of you have, to have that many movies? Surely not the limited space that Apple gives?

movies, music, pictures and tv shows dont count towards the iCloud space

jayfehr
Jul 19, 2012, 02:47 PM

Anything you purchase from Apple has free storage in iCloud and doesn't affect your limits.

telephonepanda
Jul 19, 2012, 02:55 PM
1 movie in the iTunes Top 20 is available for iCloud. On the other hand, 1000 Words is one of the unavailable titles, so it's not all bad news.

Allenbf
Jul 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
movies, music, pictures and tv shows dont count towards the iCloud space

Ah, thank you (and the other member as well) for the info, and for not bashing me for what was a simple question/answer. People can sometimes be brutal.

Cheers

hppy29
Jul 19, 2012, 03:05 PM

Auto download for movies is not in any country including the USA

dashiel
Jul 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
They just need to hurry up and introduce an iTunes Match like service. Double the price of iTunes Match, insert your DVD collection, iTunes scans it and matches. Charge $1 to upgrade to HD from DVD.

Netflix is sadly at the mercy of the studios though. Try renting any of the Batman films and they’re all gone. It’s somewhat true of iTunes, Amazon, et. al., where you’ll find some films go “missing” for months at a time (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1 for instance has been gone from all digital services for a year or so). The benefit to iTunes in the cloud is the ability to access that film even if it’s not currently available through iTunes. In other words if I buy Batman tonight and next month Warner Bros. pulls it from iTunes I can still access it via the cloud.

kyjaotkb
Jul 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
Pinky says Hollywood studios gave iTitC for movies a go but local authors' / right owners' societies are not there yet. 'specially in Europe.

----------

They just need to hurry up and introduce an iTunes Match like service. Double the price of iTunes Match, insert your DVD collection, iTunes scans it and matches. Charge $1 to upgrade to HD from DVD.

It's an awesome scheme, it exists, it's called Ultraviolet... But Apple chose to "wait and see" si it's not going to happen too soon. Hopefully Cupertino will join the fun sooner rather than later.

jontech
Jul 19, 2012, 03:13 PM
In the US, Fox's movies STILL do not support this. And I have not bought a single Fox movie since becuase they still haven't done it. I have 86 movies purchased from iTunes so far....

Same here

We have over 200 movies we have purchased, and we do not buy Fox or MGM.

Their loss

kyjaotkb
Jul 19, 2012, 03:15 PM
Of course it's a slow roll out. Wow people are really impatient. This is about hilarious as the people who completely judged the new Maps app in iOS 6 off of Beta 1.

I heard however that Safari was snappier.

lzyprson
Jul 19, 2012, 03:22 PM
Only purcahased 1 movie from iTunes - ever- and it never showed up in the cloud as a re-downloadable purchase. That is until now!!:apple:

petvas
Jul 19, 2012, 03:23 PM
iTunes match for movies, please.

That would be cool, but I guess nobody will do it..

pmau
Jul 19, 2012, 03:36 PM
Just to clarify .... (thanks for responding)

If I go to the store within itunes, click on the "home" house in the navigation bar where movies, apps etc. are.

Then, on the right column there would be a "purchased" link.
If I click that there's books, apps and music.

If movies in the iCloud would work already, they would appear in this list.

Is that correct?
I just want to understand where'd be...

Thanks.

PS: Asking from germany, but as others have already pointed out, it's not here yet.

ryedarrow
Jul 19, 2012, 03:40 PM
How about iTunes Match for movies? All of my DVD/Blu Ray's are ripped to digital. Who cares about movies in the Cloud.

ipedro
Jul 19, 2012, 03:40 PM
I can confirm that while no movies were available for me just an hour ago, they are starting to appear. I'm guessing that the changes are still rolling out. I hope that the movies available on iCloud in the US store will eventually all make it through the entire system. As far as I know, Fox is the only holdout in the US.

stoplis
Jul 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
Well, 28 movies in my purchased list. 0 are ones that are available in the cloud. What a load of pants.
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3255/screenshot20120719at214.png

Lindono
Jul 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
Just to clarify .... (thanks for responding)

If I go to the store within itunes, click on the "home" house in the navigation bar where movies, apps etc. are.

Then, on the right column there would be a "purchased" link.
If I click that there's books, apps and music.

If movies in the iCloud would work already, they would appear in this list.

Is that correct?
I just want to understand where'd be...

Thanks.

PS: Asking from germany, but as others have already pointed out, it's not here yet.

Yes.

stoplis
Jul 19, 2012, 04:00 PM
Quick way to tell if a Movie supports 'iTunes in the Cloud', if it shows a price when browsing then yes, if it says 'view' then now.
E.g.
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6075/screenshot20120719at215.png
Project X ✓
A Thousand Words ✕

Hope this helps.

wovel
Jul 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
You don't have kids, do you. :) Netflix Kids section is a GodSend but my three year old will watch Cars and Cars 2 over and over and over again, neither which are available on Netflix anyway.

BTW here in Canada, only my Pixar movies are available for redownload.

And over again. Lol ours is the same way. Netflix is where you go to launch your Diego marathon.

ipedro
Jul 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
Quick way to tell if a Movie supports 'iTunes in the Cloud', if it shows a price when browsing then yes, if it says 'view' then now.
E.g.
Image (http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6075/screenshot20120719at215.png)
Project X ✓
A Thousand Words ✕

Hope this helps.

Another way to ensure that the movies you buy are available for re-download: Movies that are available for purchase from AppleTV are all iCloud enabled.

Mattww
Jul 19, 2012, 04:09 PM
Well I guess some progress is being made getting the idea rolled out across more countries.

Unfortunately everything I have been interested in buying so far says "When purchased this film will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud" so it looks like many of the studios still need to be dragged into the modern era.

Jamie0003
Jul 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Another way to ensure that the movies you buy are available for re-download: Movies that are available for purchase from AppleTV are all iCloud enabled.

This is the main reason i'm excited for movies in the cloud, it's such a pain to have to buy movies in iTunes, wait for it to download then stream it.

BanterClaus
Jul 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
My iTunes match won't update here in the UK. It just keeps timing out so I can't try this :(

wovel
Jul 19, 2012, 04:17 PM
Well, 28 movies in my purchased list. 0 are ones that are available in the cloud. What a load of pants.
Image (http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3255/screenshot20120719at214.png)

Those symbols are for iTunes match. A different service. Go to the purchased movies section of the iTunes store and you will see differently. Batman:Year One is there in 1080p (I stopped since the first one was wrong).

Jamie0003
Jul 19, 2012, 04:29 PM
My iTunes match won't update here in the UK. It just keeps timing out so I can't try this :(

This is for movies in the cloud, not iTunes Match.

jon1987
Jul 19, 2012, 04:30 PM
I'm getting more added slowly, just got "Leon" added a few moments ago.

I wonder what system is used to make the films availible?

kiwiboi87
Jul 19, 2012, 04:37 PM
yay two out of 60+ have finally shown up
about time

KENPHOTO
Jul 19, 2012, 04:38 PM
I have purchased over 200 movies in iTunes in Australia and ONE that's right, ONE movie is available to redownload (Tron Legacy). UDPATE - It appears movies are coming up slowly, as now there is 6 available.

dashiel
Jul 19, 2012, 04:40 PM
Pinky says Hollywood studios gave iTitC for movies a go but local authors' / right owners' societies are not there yet. 'specially in Europe.

----------

It's an awesome scheme, it exists, it's called Ultraviolet... But Apple chose to "wait and see" si it's not going to happen too soon. Hopefully Cupertino will join the fun sooner rather than later.

I doubt it, Ultraviolet is not a particularly consumer friendly and has largely failed because it’s extremely buggy and requires far too much effort to use. Like DiVX in the 90s, studios will continue to dump money in to it for a while before canceling the project. And just like every other instance of media on iTunes the studios will come to Apple tail between their legs, a few million less in their pocket and do what they should have done years ago.

MacRumorUser
Jul 19, 2012, 04:49 PM
It's live in Ireland for movies too.

Just saw a number of my movies now appear on my AppleTV...

kiwiboi87
Jul 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
does anyone know, that if you re download a movie. it will also download the iTunes extras? iv got a few movies on my mac, that i didn't download the iTunes extras for...

jontech
Jul 19, 2012, 05:13 PM
Image (http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3255/screenshot20120719at214.png)

All the Marvel movies should show up in the cloud soon as well as Star Trek

apernett
Jul 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
Now the Movies in the Cloud functionality does no longer appear in the Colombian iTunes Store. Does anyone have the same issue in their local store as well? Venezuela, Brazil, Chile perhaps?

Thanks for the info...

Edit: The functionality appeared again. Looks like that Cloud-gnomes were working under the hood. Even the info promos in the main page of the store re-appeared. :)

Rideherhard
Jul 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
movies showing up in iCloud now!!! :)

----------

all the movies that said weren't available in iCloud now no longer say that and are available!!! ohh yeah! this is freaking awesome, time to buy the 1080P AppleTV this is what I've been waiting for

kyjaotkb
Jul 19, 2012, 05:28 PM
I doubt it, Ultraviolet is not a particularly consumer friendly and has largely failed because it’s extremely buggy and requires far too much effort to use. Like DiVX in the 90s, studios will continue to dump money in to it for a while before canceling the project. And just like every other instance of media on iTunes the studios will come to Apple tail between their legs, a few million less in their pocket and do what they should have done years ago.
UV is a different story. It is basically a cloud based locker for your DRM. So if Apple joins the UV consortium, one could enjoy his Disc-to-digital copies of his DVDs he redeemed at Walmart straight from iTunes in the Cloud. Pretty powerful. As big players like Google and Amazon will hopefully join the party, the use of UV enabled stores will gain momentum and iTunes will find itself very isolated and will eventually join the UV consortium to maintain and grow its market share.

jon1987
Jul 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
I'm finding that movies are being added in batches every 20 mins or so, anyone else notice this?

Rigby
Jul 19, 2012, 06:00 PM
UV is a different story. It is basically a cloud based locker for your DRM. So if Apple joins the UV consortium, one could enjoy his Disc-to-digital copies of his DVDs he redeemed at Walmart straight from iTunes in the Cloud. Pretty powerful.Yep. If Apple supported UV (at least playback) that would be great, since they currently have by far the best playback ecosystem in place.

While UV is still somewhat immature, conceptually it is actually pretty cool, since it can work across many platforms (not just Apple devices) and will soon have a universal file format (CFF) for downloaded movies. I also noticed that most UV digital copies that come with Blu-rays are HD (so you can e.g. stream from Vudu in HDX quality), whereas almost all iTunes digital copies are only SD.
As big players like Google and Amazon will hopefully join the party, the use of UV enabled stores will gain momentum and iTunes will find itself very isolated and will eventually join the UV consortium to maintain and grow its market share.Amazon announced on CES (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-01-11/amazon-ultraviolet-movies/52495788/1) that they will sell UV movies. Also, Samsung announced that they are working on an app for their players that will allow users to register their DVDs on UV, i.e. a DIY version of Walmart's disc-to-digital. I think UV is just getting started.

hppy29
Jul 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
It seems maybe Apple let the cat out of the bag a bit early about movies now being avalible in the cloud...

Apple have now removed the purchased tab in the movies section on the iTunes store, and removed the banner on the front page of iTunes. However you can still get to the movies quickly in itunes by clicking on purchased in music

I now have around 15 movies showing up (in the uk) campared to the 2 that were showing a few hours ago.

----------

Yep. If Apple supported UV (at least playback) that would be great, since they currently have by far the best playback ecosystem in place.

While UV is still somewhat immature, conceptually it is actually pretty cool, since it can work across many platforms (not just Apple devices) and will soon have a universal file format (CFF) for downloaded movies. I also noticed that most UV digital copies that come with Blu-rays are HD (so you can e.g. stream from Vudu in HDX quality), whereas almost all iTunes digital copies are only SD.
Amazon announced on CES (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-01-11/amazon-ultraviolet-movies/52495788/1) that they will sell UV movies. Also, Samsung announced that they are working on an app for their players that will allow users to register their DVDs on UV, i.e. a DIY version of Walmart's disc-to-digital. I think UV is just getting started.

But they don't get it, people just want one format a simple way to get movies and be able to play them back. Movie studios just need to get a grip all content should be in 1080 on all sites. By keeping it to blu-ray and in selected countries all they are doing is hurting their own bank accounts. People will either wait or get it from torrent sites.

hppy29
Jul 19, 2012, 06:20 PM
It does seem that Apple are updating things slowly... 3 Hours ago only two of the movies in the movie charts would be avalible in the cloud, now all of them are... and further more a lot more movies are now showing in 1080.

Make sure that people in the UK change the two settings in iTunes preferences to allow playback and downloads in 1080 otherwise you will continue to get 720!

stoplis
Jul 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
Those symbols are for iTunes match. A different service. Go to the purchased movies section of the iTunes store and you will see differently. Batman:Year One is there in 1080p (I stopped since the first one was wrong).

I know, I just mean every film in the list isn't available "on the cloud" even though they are available in HD in iTunes.

Edit: Some films are starting to show up! I hope more are updated.

moderngamenewb
Jul 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
YASS.

Seriously, this actually means that there is a major reason for me to want to buy stuff from iTunes over physical. Cause the price so far hasn't been in it's favour to be honest.

It varies. Some are in the cloud, and some aren't. Several movies from the digital copy aren't in there, but some of them do show up

hppy29
Jul 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
Just to point out, it took 2 days for all the movies in my US itunes account to show up when they launched it in the US

Jul 19, 2012, 06:41 PM
I've noticed something pretty cool.

If you have redeemed a digital copy (e.g. from a triple play blu ray) the films normally don't include iTunes extra content. However I've noticed if you delete the original copy you got from the triple play, and re-download from the cloud you will also get any iTunes extra content for that film :)

shandyman
Jul 19, 2012, 06:51 PM
A lot of mine are now showing :) went from 1 to 16 in 2 hours.

Think digital copies are standard def only tho..... I have iTunes set to download 1080 but don't think that helps.

ipedro
Jul 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
Not only is this rolling out slowly for different movies, it is doing so differently for each user. Some people are reporting Pixar movies in Canada while Ratatouille and Wall-E have not yet appeared for me.

EDIT: 16 movies just appeared suddenly, including Back to the Future that just an hour earlier had the "will not be available on iCloud" notice in the store. Looks like we're going for a full store of access with the exception of Fox who doesn't allow iCloud even in the US store.

Apple should just give a deadline for compliance. It's terribly confusing for users to have some movies available for viewing on all their devices and then other purchase a movie and have them unable to view them on their AppleTV or iPad. iCloud should just become the default. If Fox isn't complying then they can have their movies removed the iTunes and lose out on the sales.

EDIT 2: All my movies have now appeared (I don't have any Fox movies).

nervouk
Jul 19, 2012, 07:05 PM
Like everything else, Japan will need to be dragged kicking and screaming into this... but not yet it seems.

The iTunes movie store here is like that sad video store on a deserted street that's nearly always closed & has a few faded Betamax tapes from the 80s in the 'hot' section.

Crosbie
Jul 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
A lot of mine are now showing :) went from 1 to 16 in 2 hours.

Think digital copies are standard def only tho..... I have iTunes set to download 1080 but don't think that helps.

Yep. 0-15 here.

I have 'download in HD where available' checked but don't see any choice between SD or HD anywhere.

MythicFrost
Jul 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
I see some movies with lower prices in the Australian store -- they seem to be Warner Bros movies. Like Batman: Begins for $10 (HD) or Crazy, Stupid, Love for $18. Compared to $25/30.

Shaun, UK
Jul 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
We just need the bump from 720 to 1080 on films now in the UK, seems silly that we can only get 1080 TV shows!

What really frustrates me is that when I look on Amazon I see one film after another (old and new) being released on BluRay but yet we have little or no 1080p HD films available to buy in the UK iTunes store.

I really want to start building a library of films but I don't want to buy the SD versions for £7 each only to find in a year or two that everything is now coming out in HD. I might as well just go back to buying BluRay disks again instead.

Jul 19, 2012, 07:20 PM
What really frustrates me is that when I look on Amazon I see one film after another (old and new) being released on BluRay but yet we have little or no 1080p HD films available to buy in the UK iTunes store.

I really want to start building a library of films but I don't want to buy the SD versions for £7 each only to find in a year or two that everything is now coming out in HD. I might as well just go back to buying BluRay disks again instead.

Check the iTunes store now, most films i can see are available in 1080p to purchase (since earlier today).

MythicFrost
Jul 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
I can also see 1080p movies in my country, previously only 720p was available via iTunes.

Shaun, UK
Jul 19, 2012, 07:25 PM
This is the main reason i'm excited for movies in the cloud, it's such a pain to have to buy movies in iTunes, wait for it to download then stream it.

Don't you still have to download your purchases before you can also stream them? If not that would be really useful. I've bought a load of TV Shows but it takes ages to download all the episodes and then it takes up so much space on my hard drive I had to buy a 1TB external hard drive just for my iTunes library. It would be so much easier if I didn't have to download the TV Shows in the first place and just streamed them instead.

Tezcatlipoca
Jul 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
Ah... Seems I moaned too soon!

My Warner, Paramount, and Universal digital copies are now available. The only things missing are the ones from Fox... which aren't even available in the US anyway.

-----------

Re. Ultraviolet:

Am I wrong, or is it true that Ultraviolet is streaming *only* when using e.g. an iPad, no ability to download for later local playback? If so, then that sucks IMO. No use having purchased films on UV if you're restricted to streaming. What if you want to watch a film while on a plane or somewhere else where you don't have WiFi.

Shaun, UK
Jul 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
Check the iTunes store now, most films i can see are available in 1080p to purchase (since earlier today).

Just been through it and there certainly is a lot more HD content but most of the titles that have been added are only available to rent in HD not to buy which sucks. What's the point in paying £3.49 to rent a film when you can buy it for £6.99.

Omgitsdesmond
Jul 19, 2012, 07:49 PM
Titan AE is available to redownload from the cloud for me. Yay. It hasn't been until now.

charlituna
Jul 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
bit shocked that Disney films don't seem to be supported
Same reason many Fox etc aren't. Exclusive contracts with cable nets etc. these downloads fall under the definition of 'broadcast' under current contracts. It's also why some tv seasons and movies aren't on the store

----------

Same game in the US. Some stuff isn't even 720p, particularly a lot of BBC stuff for us

----------

Anything you purchase from Apple has free storage in iCloud and doesn't affect your limits.

Actually it doesn't. iTunes in the cloud is not actually iCloud. You are redownloading from the iTunes server, same as how you originally got it.

shurcooL
Jul 19, 2012, 08:52 PM
Woohoo, it's finally in Canada!

Now I can safely delete some movies that I'll probably never watch again, knowing I can re-download them if need be. :thumbup:

Yelmurc
Jul 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
Just noticed that MGM and Fox Movies are now available for iCloud. I'm in the US. I know both of these studio's where not available previously.

Michael07
Jul 19, 2012, 09:33 PM

Netflix is sadly at the mercy of the studios though. Try renting any of the Batman films and they’re all gone. It’s somewhat true of iTunes, Amazon, et. al., where you’ll find some films go “missing” for months at a time (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1 for instance has been gone from all digital services for a year or so). The benefit to iTunes in the cloud is the ability to access that film even if it’s not currently available through iTunes. In other words if I buy Batman tonight and next month Warner Bros. pulls it from iTunes I can still access it via the cloud.

I wish that was true for all movies. I bought American Wedding in April. It was in the cloud. iTunes no longer has it for sale and it has been removed from the cloud.

Vincent7
Jul 19, 2012, 09:46 PM
Great Stuff!:D

kfury77
Jul 19, 2012, 10:52 PM
I bought Four Lions HD version (720p) earlier this year and Tell No One HD (720p) just 2 weeks ago on the UK iTunes. I can now delete them and redownload the 1080 versions - for free. Awesome. :-)

Wish there was a way to pay to upgrade SD films to HD (but like the iTunes Plus upgrade system they had years ago).

----------

Woohoo, it's finally in Canada!

Now I can safely delete some movies that I'll probably never watch again, knowing I can re-download them if need be. :thumbup:

If you think you might want them again, you really should keep a copy locally. Movies often disappear from the store (rights/contracts expires etc) so it's very possible you may not ever be able to re-download it.

bilbo--baggins
Jul 19, 2012, 11:08 PM

Image (http://f.cl.ly/items/3U1d163q2H3P0X0d0B02/Screen%20Shot%202012-07-19%20at%2020.29.28.png)

Of the 15 movies I've purchased, they all say not available in the cloud except for 2. Fairly pointless service if this is what it's going to be like.

--> I take that back. 28 now showing - it even includes films I downloaded for free with our Sunday Times subscription.

Buckeyestar
Jul 19, 2012, 11:35 PM
It seems that my Fox movies are now showing up in iCloud. Very happy here in the US.

Rigby
Jul 19, 2012, 11:51 PM
Am I wrong, or is it true that Ultraviolet is streaming *only* when using e.g. an iPad, no ability to download for later local playback? If so, then that sucks IMO. No use having purchased films on UV if you're restricted to streaming. What if you want to watch a film while on a plane or somewhere else where you don't have WiFi.You can download UV movies to the iPad for offline watching via the Flixster app.

----------

Don't you still have to download your purchases before you can also stream them? If not that would be really useful. On an Apple TV you can simply stream them. On iTunes, you can do progressive download, i.e. start playback while the movie is downloading.
I've bought a load of TV Shows but it takes ages to download all the episodes and then it takes up so much space on my hard drive I had to buy a 1TB external hard drive just for my iTunes library. It would be so much easier if I didn't have to download the TV Shows in the first place and just streamed them instead.TV shows have been available in the cloud for quite a while now (at least in the US, not sure about other countries).

fernan
Jul 19, 2012, 11:54 PM
is this iCloud-service available for Sweden too ?

am not a big fan of itunes thu , I only rent movies from there. but i this is true than i'll start buying from the itunes store... perfect when you have the mbp,iphone and ipad. the iTrinity.

Rigby
Jul 19, 2012, 11:54 PM
It seems that my Fox movies are now showing up in iCloud. Very happy here in the US.Yep, I see some of my Fox movies appearing too. :) Not all them them yet, though.

wovel
Jul 20, 2012, 01:11 AM
I know, I just mean every film in the list isn't available "on the cloud" even though they are available in HD in iTunes.

Edit: Some films are starting to show up! I hope more are updated.

That is why I pointed out the first film on your list was available from iTunes in the cloud. (At least in the US).

----------

All of you people sharing your movie lists is going to cost me money. :eek:

shandyman
Jul 20, 2012, 02:18 AM
Weirdly american pie 1 and the wedding are in the cloud for me but not 2. I got all 3 of them as digital copies...

Also, on the iPad, none are showing up in the videos app, just my music videos with cloud icons. Shouldn't movies show up there too?

MythicFrost
Jul 20, 2012, 03:08 AM
I bought Four Lions HD version (720p) earlier this year and Tell No One HD (720p) just 2 weeks ago on the UK iTunes. I can now delete them and redownload the 1080 versions - for free. Awesome. :-)

Wish there was a way to pay to upgrade SD films to HD (but like the iTunes Plus upgrade system they had years ago).

----------

If you think you might want them again, you really should keep a copy locally. Movies often disappear from the store (rights/contracts expires etc) so it's very possible you may not ever be able to re-download it.
My emphasis. If you're watching Apple. THIS. THIS THIS. iTunes in the Cloud is showing that I have 135 movies, and that's not all of them yet either. I bought almost all of them before HD came to Australia, and I'm certainly not going to buy them again. Give me the option to pay the difference and I'd do it though!

mrbyu
Jul 20, 2012, 03:20 AM
Best regards from Hungary, my purchased music finally appears in iOS iTunes App too, so I don't have to sync with my Mac! .-) Thanks Apple!

jontech
Jul 20, 2012, 03:56 AM
Confirmed fox movies and MGM in the states. Also just purchased Avatar which is now 1080p and in the cloud

----------

For those having trouble seeing the movies in your account please give it a couple of days. Thier servers are crunching serious numbers right now :)

Dingo Dave 69
Jul 20, 2012, 05:03 AM
I live in the uk and have been waiting for this for a long time. Looks like most movies support it now too.

Weirdly though nearly all of my music videos are missing when I go to music. I changed my of recently and this happened. The originals are still there on my mac though. Anyone else had this problem?

Also with this change to movies in the cloud is this another step closer to a fully fledged apple tv being launched....it's moving in the right direction

Tsuki415
Jul 20, 2012, 08:43 AM
Is it me or are movies in the US store wayyyy too overpriced for purchase or even rental? Do they get a lot of rentals with Netflix around? It's like 4 dollars to watch something!

maximusas
Jul 20, 2012, 08:56 AM
Hi, I am delight to see Movies in the Cloud have finally arrived in the UK. I have purchased several movies both on iTunes and Blu-ray with digital copies. However, of the countless movies I own, only 18 of them appear in he iCloud to stream on my Apple TV. Initially I though it was studio or digital copy related, but I have movies from Paramount, Studio Canal and Universal that are available for re-download and streaming.

I can confirm availability of the following:
iTunes Purchases appearing in iCloud:
Leon
Almost Famous
Lesbian Vampire Killers
Man on Wire
Modern Times
W
The Others

Digital copies with Blu-rays appearing in iCloud:
Harry Potter 6, 7.1 and 7.2
Star Trek
Watchmen
Prince of Persia
Paul
Tin Tin
Blues Brothers

Purchased Movies (Digital copies) not appearing in iCloud:
Captain America
Cowboys and Aliens
Fast Five
Harry Potter 5
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Sucker Punch
Super 8
Thor
X Men First Class

Jamie0003
Jul 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
Don't you still have to download your purchases before you can also stream them? If not that would be really useful. I've bought a load of TV Shows but it takes ages to download all the episodes and then it takes up so much space on my hard drive I had to buy a 1TB external hard drive just for my iTunes library. It would be so much easier if I didn't have to download the TV Shows in the first place and just streamed them instead.

You can buy it and then stream them one by one as you watch them, which is much easier, and no storing them, it's all cached on the Apple TV.

Ashwee
Jul 20, 2012, 09:26 AM
To show my support of this I purchased Avatar HD for £13.99, amazing quality, will be buying movies from my Apple TV from now on.

NewAnger
Jul 20, 2012, 10:32 AM
Don't forget to buy movies in HD as soon as you can. One of the movies I had on my wish list is no longer for sale in HD, only SD. It was one that just became available in the cloud. I hate movie studios.

Tezcatlipoca
Jul 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
You can download UV movies to the iPad for offline watching via the Flixster app.

Ah, cheers for confirming that :)

dashiel
Jul 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
UV is a different story. It is basically a cloud based locker for your DRM. So if Apple joins the UV consortium, one could enjoy his Disc-to-digital copies of his DVDs he redeemed at Walmart straight from iTunes in the Cloud. Pretty powerful. As big players like Google and Amazon will hopefully join the party, the use of UV enabled stores will gain momentum and iTunes will find itself very isolated and will eventually join the UV consortium to maintain and grow its market share.

I know what UltraViolet is that’s what I was commenting on. It has largely failed because it’s not consumer friendly. Consumers had to create account for UltraViolet and register their devices and another account for each studio since UV isn’t a cloud storage locker, but a repository for DRM. Worse still it failed early on with customers unable to access their content and the studios had to hand out iTunes/Windows Media coupons to fulfill their promise (http://www.digital-digest.com/news-63199-Warner-Bros-Admit-UltraViolet-Failures-Gives-Users-iTunes-Vouchers-As-Compensation.html). Also check the fine print, the digital copy you get with a disc is only guaranteed for a year (http://www.uvvu.com/uv-offer-details.php) after which time the studio is within their legal right to charge you.

As I said UltraViolet will limp along for a few more years, but will eventually be mothballed like every other studio/record label attempt to protect their interests.

I wish that was true for all movies. I bought American Wedding in April. It was in the cloud. iTunes no longer has it for sale and it has been removed from the cloud.

Thanks for the heads up, that is incredibly frustrating and I wonder if it’s legal, though perhaps it was a glitch as it appears to be available again.

Rigby
Aug 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
BTW, the new Jaws Blu-ray comes with an iTunes digital copy in HD (which has a whopping 4.5GB). :) As far as I know this is the first feature film to do so. And it includes a UV copy too.