Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil22

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
When you stream content from your computer to the apple tv which device is doing the horsework? The computer running iTunes or the apple tv?

Cheers

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Just ran a little test. Played a movie from my iMac through the ATV.

iTunes CPU usage went from 3.3% to 5.5%, which is insignificant. There was no other significant change in overall CPU usage that I noticed. Network traffic jumped to a fairly constant 3.5MB/sec.

I have no way to know what the ATV is doing, but it's performance characteristics are probably similar ... mostly receiving data and some small CPU % to play.

Maybe someone with a JB'n ATV has a way to see what's going on in the ATV?

EDIT: Playing the movie on my iMac resulted in about a 15% increase in overall CPU usage.

Last edited:

Phil22

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Nice test LaWally, many thanks. I guess that shows it's the apple tv which is doing the brunt of the work. I encode blu rays using the high quality profile in handbrake, some of the resulting files can be quite large in size and I would imagine quite taxing, but the little black box shows no sign of let up!

Thanks

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
HIIII Fil22
May i get some suggestion for How to create iTunes account without credit card
for United State. Actually i was a resident of India but before 1 year we are settled in United State and i have been using iPhone and don't have account for United State.
Missing lots of fun:confused:

To be honest, I don't think you can create an iTunes account without having either a prepaid card of some sort/ a credit card. Perhaps one of the other people on this board would have a better answer.

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
It can be done from an iOS device (but not from the Mac/Windoes iTunes app)
In the iOS App Store app, make sure you're not signed in, then try and buy a free app from the US store.
This will prompt you to either log in or create a free account.
Choose create account and fill in your details.
When it asks for payment details, the option "None" should be there. Choose this.
Add any other details needed to finish creating you account and you're done.
You should then be able to top up your account using gift cards.

This was working last week as I did it to download a free film that was, for some reason, US only :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.