PDA

View Full Version : Apple Already Pursuing Minor Expansion at North Carolina Data Center

MacRumors
Jul 19, 2012, 03:40 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/apple-already-pursuing-minor-expansion-at-north-carolina-data-center/)

Back in March, the Hickory Daily Record noted (http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2012/mar/11/2/expansion-apple-site-maiden-ar-2024823/) that Apple had filed for building permits related to a "tactical data center" to be located at the site of the company's existing data center in Maiden, North Carolina. Our research at the time indicated that the facility was a relatively small building of roughly 20,000 square feet, but it was unclear exactly what it was to be used for.

The Hickory Daily Record now follows up (http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2012/jul/19/2/apple-building-new-smaller-data-center-maiden-ar-2443449/) with a new report sharing more details on Apple's plans as culled from additional building permits and planning documents filed in recent weeks.According to Apple's design plans on file with Catawba County, the new 21,030-square-foot data center, also referred to as a "tactical" data center, will store clusters of servers. Permits filed with the county list the cost of the new 11-room data center at $1,885,129. [..]

The building will have, what appears to be, tight security measures even though it will be located on a site that already has tight security. The building will be equipped with "man trap" security doors at either end that will force a person to be cleared to go through an additional second door to get inside the main building space. The building also will be surrounded with an 8-foot-high chain-link security fence, according to architectural plans.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/maiden_tactical_data_center.jpg

New construction at Apple's Maiden, North Carolina data center (Source: Jeremy Detter/Hickory Daily Record)
Apple's plans for the site ultimately include two 500,000 square-foot data center buildings (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/25/new-evidence-of-apples-plans-for-a-second-data-center-building-at-nc-site/), only one of which has been constructed. Today's report indicates that this new tactical data center, a separate project, will be adjacent to the existing data center without impinging upon space set aside for the second major building.The architectural site plans show the small data center t-boned to the 500,000-square-foot existing data center. The plans still show the footprint for a larger data center that would run nearly parallel to the existing one and would t-bone the smaller one currently under construction.Data Center Knowledge takes a closer look (http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/07/19/apple-going-modular-maiden/) at Apple's plans, suggesting that Apple is deploying a modular facility in order to rapidly increase the server capacity at the site, something the company is already doing at its Prineville, Oregon site (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/21/apple-confirms-plans-for-another-large-data-center-in-prineville-oregon/) in advance of more permanent construction.The building permits for the new Apple tactical MDC don't name a particular provider. But Apple is currently deploying modular data centers from NxGen Modular at its new data center in Prineville, Oregon. NxGen has developed next-generation modular designs, with pre-fabricated components that can be assembled into a complete data center, complete with power, cooling and mechanical rooms.Apple has yet to comment on its intentions for the new tactical data center facility in Maiden, but the project comes as Apple is pursuing major expansions of its server capabilities in North Carolina, Oregon, and Nevada (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/26/apple-planning-to-invest-1-billion-in-new-data-center-and-other-facilities-in-reno-nevada/) to help support iCloud and other ventures.

Article Link: Apple Already Pursuing Minor Expansion at North Carolina Data Center (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/apple-already-pursuing-minor-expansion-at-north-carolina-data-center/)

FakeWozniak
Jul 19, 2012, 03:44 PM
Tight security, must be keeping the BILLIONS in there!
They probably learned a thing from Fort Knox.

kniemann
Jul 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
Is this in preparation for the fifth iPhone (iPhone 5)?

Raftysworld
Jul 19, 2012, 03:46 PM

Why would it be called an iPhone 5? It's the 6th iPHONE. Can we please stop spreading misinformation in every macrumors article?

barkomatic
Jul 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
It's amazing the infrastructure needed to support the services we take for granted.

JS82712
Jul 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
Why would it be called an iPhone 5? It's the 6th iPHONE. Can we please stop spreading misinformation in every macrumors article?

Why can't it be called the iPhone 5?
There is no clear indication as to how apple's naming system works..
For instance, the iPhone "4" could've meant the 4th gen iphone OR a natural sequence of number following the 3GS.
So get off your high horse and move on. it's just a name, you know what he/she meant. :rolleyes:

MultiMediaWill
Jul 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
Pretty soon Apple is gonna declare war on America and try to take it over. Mark my words.

JS82712
Jul 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
Pretty soon Apple is gonna declare war on America and try to take it over. Mark my words.

that sounds like something google would do. :rolleyes:

Ryth
Jul 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
Most likely it's the start of the new S.H.I.E.L.D. base that was lost in the Avengers movie... :p

charlieegan3
Jul 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
that sounds like something google would do. :rolleyes:

Yeah lets bring that up again...

4jasontv
Jul 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
Tight security, must be keeping the billions in there!
They could learn a thing from Fort Knox.

Havn't you heard, there is no gold in Fort Knox.

(http://www.cnbc.com/id/43391588/Is_Gold_in_Fort_Knox_Real_Ron_Paul_Wants_to_Know)

jennyp
Jul 19, 2012, 04:23 PM
"In my MIME I'm goin' to Carolina.."

:o

JHankwitz
Jul 19, 2012, 04:24 PM

"Colossus: The Forbin Project".

ThunderSkunk
Jul 19, 2012, 04:28 PM
Havn't you heard, there is no gold in Fort Knox.
(http://www.cnbc.com/id/43391588/Is_Gold_in_Fort_Knox_Real_Ron_Paul_Wants_to_Know)

That's silliness. There's already nothing to back up most of our nations money. Last I heard it discussed by economists, well over 80% of our $ was digital only. ...course most of that isn't really in circulation anyway, so it doesn't really matter much.

What good would painting fake bricks of gold do? If there were a run on the banks, there wouldn't be enough gold-backed reserves even if fort knox was loaded.

...our economy runs on smiles and rainbows. :)

...and Apples.

phillipduran
Jul 19, 2012, 04:29 PM
Finally a thread we can keep on topic. . .

Aaaaaaaaaannnnd it's gone.

benspratling
Jul 19, 2012, 04:31 PM
Aside from a 2-board wooden fence that I could walk through if I'm feeling limber that day, I can't think of another kind of fence that's easier to climb than chain-link... Is it a special kind of chain link?

xionxiox
Jul 19, 2012, 04:32 PM
Aside from a 2-board wooden fence that I could walk through if I'm feeling limber that day, I can't think of another kind of fence that's easier to climb than chain-link... Is it a special kind of chain link?

I'm pretty sure it will have barb wire on it. :p

Puevlo
Jul 19, 2012, 04:34 PM
Good thing they didn't solder the servers to the existing building to save room otherwise they wouldn't be able to upgrade. Funny that.

ChuckG
Jul 19, 2012, 04:37 PM
Always good news.

Nice job, Apple. It's allus a fine idea to add moe' o' dim I-clouds so notes an' calendars sync faster th'n a minnow kin swim a dipper. Hope they git'er dun befo'e tis I-phone 5 gadgit come out.

Navdakilla
Jul 19, 2012, 04:46 PM
Going more to the clouds I see

Glideslope
Jul 19, 2012, 05:00 PM
Steve would like the Security. "Man Trap Doors" are intense. :apple:

----------

I'm pretty sure it will have barb wire on it. :p

Razor Wire. :apple:

freediverdude
Jul 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Good thing they didn't solder the servers to the existing building to save room otherwise they wouldn't be able to upgrade. Funny that.

Yes, the data center is even thinner! Isn't it gorgeous?? We made it unibody, and glued the servers to the walls to save space! That's how we were able to squeeze a whole data center, normally 500,000 square feet, into just 20,000!

porky
Jul 19, 2012, 05:08 PM
Which servers do they use?

damacus
Jul 19, 2012, 05:26 PM
Makes you wonder exactly what is going to be going through these systems. R&D / Apple Internal? I would more expect that closer to home, but I guess it's possible.

Or maybe it's where they're gonna park the TLAs and perform other data mining. Guess they might figure it'd make more sense to push the lawful intercept data to another local building than off to Fort Meade or Utah (http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/). Yay cloud!

(I'm trolling at least a little bit.. hadn't donned the tinfoil hat in a while.. but yeah, plausible nonetheless.)

Glideslope
Jul 19, 2012, 05:26 PM

The regular, or the ones behind the "Man Trap Doors"? :cool:

Daalseth
Jul 19, 2012, 05:31 PM
We made it unibody, and glued the servers to the walls to save space! !
Oh No! That means that the building cannot be recycled when they move out. :D

cvaldes
Jul 19, 2012, 05:34 PM
Apple uses a variety of enterprise-caliber vendors, although it's possible that they are using Mac minis in a blade server configuration for certain tasks.

In the past, they have mentioned unsurprisingly enterprise level installations, like Oracle running on Sun Solaris boxes. Their consumer mail service has been running for years (.Mac, MobileMe, iCloud) on an Oracle-backed mail server (prior to Oracle acquiring Sun Microsystems).

It is likely that Oracle is pretty pervasive for Apple's back-of-the-house operations. Larry Ellison was the best man at Steve Jobs' wedding, they were BFFs.

Magaman
Jul 19, 2012, 05:56 PM
My question is, why aren't they deploying sharks with laser beams on their heads?

charlituna
Jul 19, 2012, 05:58 PM
Makes you wonder exactly what is going to be going through these systems. R&D / Apple Internal? I would more expect that closer to home, but I guess it's possible.

They most definitely keep the R&D on campus.

These centers are for iTunes, iCloud etc

mex4eric
Jul 19, 2012, 06:00 PM
A super secure place to keep all of our passwords for Passbook, AppleID and iWallet type things.

cvaldes
Jul 19, 2012, 06:05 PM
I'm thinking the extra-secure tactical center would be primarily used to store customer data.

The main data center would then be focused on content deployment (music, apps, movies, TV shows, etc.).

The most valuable stuff (customer credit cards, e-mail messages, address books, etc.) would be in the tactical center.

There is a possibility that Apple would use at least part of the tactical center to house Apple internal servers (like inventory, accounting, payroll, ERP, source code repository, CAD repository, etc.) although I'm certain that type of data would be replicated at multiple facilities (just like customer data) for mission critical availability.

It's all just fun speculation. Apple won't tell anyone what's in their data centers for security reasons.

Doctor Q
Jul 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
Apple's man trap entrance doors:

Kv3kcnI72Ec

But how are they going to keep unauthorized women out?

Jackintosh
Jul 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
Very interesting.

thelink
Jul 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
I like it. Go Apple!

Bubba Satori
Jul 19, 2012, 06:48 PM
Anybody know what kind of servers and data links they'll be using?

Saladinos
Jul 19, 2012, 07:26 PM
They should build some outside of the US. Most companies serving data to global customers have data centres at least on the same continent as those customers.

jdylan
Jul 19, 2012, 07:28 PM
I love that picture. It makes me remember every lazy, obese, redneck-security guard with "sheriff issues" I've ever run into, especially in NC. Rent-a-cops, wannabe cops, etc. And they all have that big basketball sized gut sticking out of their polyester slacks.

xionxiox
Jul 19, 2012, 07:37 PM

dis?

HiRez
Jul 19, 2012, 07:45 PM
Man traps? Awesome. With the addition of the poison darts, scorpions, and giant rolling boulder this place will really be secure.

york2600
Jul 19, 2012, 07:51 PM

This article claims Sun / IBM gear, but the pics they posted at one point showed a lot of HP servers in the NC data center
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258607/job_ad_indicates_apple_using_oracle_ibm_servers_in_north_carolina_data_center.html

GenesisST
Jul 19, 2012, 08:12 PM

http://ipadcolo.net/

Laird Knox
Jul 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
Apple's man trap entrance doors:

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kv3kcnI72Ec)

Just think of how many more people they will need to employ just to pull open all those doors in the background. :D

But how are they going to keep unauthorized women out?

That's easy!

http://morningquickie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/no-girls-allowed-internets.jpg

charlituna
Jul 19, 2012, 09:10 PM
A 20k foot building bridging two much larger ones. Sounds to be like your standard Admin building with offices, breakdown, etc

Battlefield Fan
Jul 19, 2012, 09:13 PM
Lol @ the security guard trying to intimidate the photographer of this photo!

rmatthewware
Jul 19, 2012, 09:34 PM

It's a number. Get over it.

Crzyrio
Jul 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
A very convient place to keep all your iWallet info that links to your bank accounts ;)

faroZ06
Jul 19, 2012, 09:52 PM

Let's see what they call it. "iPhone 5" is a perfectly sensible name because the 4S could be considered "version 4.5".

Also, if they did what you wanted, there would be no odd-numbered iPhones.

----------

My question is, why aren't they deploying sharks with laser beams on their heads?

The sharks are now on the endangered species list. Some sea bass might be present, though.

----------

They're expanding a lot, but it's all for iCloud, which is a somewhat useless service. Apple has a ton of potential with iCloud, but they aren't applying it well. Hopefully, they're just taking it slow and are going to really bring in some killer features later.

----------

They have been marked with shift++4.

AidenShaw
Jul 19, 2012, 10:13 PM
The sharks are now on the endangered species list. Some sea bass might be present, though

Very good - definitely a LOL moment. +10

thekev
Jul 19, 2012, 10:20 PM

I figure every creature deserves a warm meal:D.

justperry
Jul 19, 2012, 10:27 PM
Man traps? Awesome. With the addition of the poison darts, scorpions, and giant rolling boulder this place will really be secure.

All it takes is a few of these

http://thumbpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/hand-grenade.jpg

to get around that security.:rolleyes:

unlinked
Jul 19, 2012, 10:32 PM

In an alternate universe I am down voting this comment.

Asia8
Jul 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
Steve is having the area set up as a research ground for his biggest Apple project yet.

It's where they're keeping Steves body all iced up, readying for Steve to for the iBeBack Press Release.

In WWDC 2013 Steve Jobs walked up on stage and shocked the world when he announced Apple was expanding into the medical field. Demonstrating, live, in person the Apple iBeBack. Based on nanobot technology Apple has released a system where the nanobots venture through the body stimulating electric processes throughout the body and brain while rejuvenating blood, resuming blood flow and repairing cuts and other such severe injuries.

The nanobots are also designed to target and destroy bad/foreign cells, including previously incurable diseases such as AIDS.

Patients are monitored for a period of 24 hours after being "rebooted" as some of the techs liked to joke to ensure safety of the patient and relatives. And nano bots are confined to only survive in the body of the person they were originally subject to - sorry Resident Evil fans.

"Death Windows" as coined by Apple is the period of time after expiration of the person within which this process can be performed. This varies due to cause of death, environmental conditions and other varying factors.

Unfortunately victims with crushed brains are not recoverable in the current version, but may be kept on ice until a future OS update may be able to better handle the issue.

Environmentalists are already complaining about the recyclability of the nanobots and their extreme power usage to device size ratio.

As a response Samsung has announced their plans for release of a baldness cure in late 2016, analysts remain skeptical.

Michael Scrip
Jul 20, 2012, 12:10 AM

Oh yeah?

The 2nd iPhone was called 3G

And the 5th iPhone was called 4S

So... they could pretty much call it anything at this point...

Dionte
Jul 20, 2012, 12:15 AM
I hope it speeds up the iCloud site.

topmounter
Jul 20, 2012, 12:38 AM
minor expansion

BIG NEWS!!!

LOL

the8thark
Jul 20, 2012, 02:56 AM

Because it comes after 4S maybe. iPhone 5 but it's the 6th Generation. I think it'll just be called iPhone though. Like it's just iPad now.

And if you want to argue about misinformation, go pick on some of the pure garbage articles posted on this website. And leave that person alone. 5 does come after 4S you know.

justperry
Jul 20, 2012, 03:01 AM
Steve is having the area set up as a research ground for his biggest Apple project yet.

It's where they're keeping Steves body all iced up, readying for Steve to for the iBeBack Press Release.

In WWDC 2013 Steve Jobs walked up on stage and shocked the world when he announced Apple was expanding into the medical field. Demonstrating, live, in person the Apple iBeBack. Based on nanobot technology Apple has released a system where the nanobots venture through the body stimulating electric processes throughout the body and brain while rejuvenating blood, resuming blood flow and repairing cuts and other such severe injuries.

The nanobots are also designed to target and destroy bad/foreign cells, including previously incurable diseases such as AIDS.

Patients are monitored for a period of 24 hours after being "rebooted" as some of the techs liked to joke to ensure safety of the patient and relatives. And nano bots are confined to only survive in the body of the person they were originally subject to - sorry Resident Evil fans.

"Death Windows" as coined by Apple is the period of time after expiration of the person within which this process can be performed. This varies due to cause of death, environmental conditions and other varying factors.

Unfortunately victims with crushed brains are not recoverable in the current version, but may be kept on ice until a future OS update may be able to better handle the issue.

Environmentalists are already complaining about the recyclability of the nanobots and their extreme power usage to device size ratio.

As a response Samsung has announced their plans for release of a baldness cure in late 2016, analysts remain skeptical.

Rich fantasy.:eek:

Oh yeah?

The 2nd iPhone was called 3G

And the 5th iPhone was called 4S

So... they could pretty much call it anything at this point...

Oh stop it already, get sick of that BS the whole time.

Astroexe
Jul 20, 2012, 03:45 AM
Finally getting to work on that hand-held Portal device, I see. I hope it's protected by something better than Turrets or we're going to have a big problem when one of those leaks.

RobertMartens
Jul 20, 2012, 05:16 AM

The fifth phone already came out last year. They called it the 4S. Oh did I say that out loud? Sorry.

So when is this data center stuff going to make any sense?

msimpson
Jul 20, 2012, 06:06 AM
The security does not sound much different than what most Tier-1 hosting facilities offer. Man-traps are quite common. Have to go through them every time we visit our co-lo.

PinkyMacGodess
Jul 20, 2012, 06:19 AM
And yet, with all of this planning, putting the buildings above ground in an area that is prone to tornadoes and hurricanes seems like extremely poor planning to me. One good tornado near miss/direct hit, and they are out a whole lot of money and customers/clients are going to be pissed.

Are there plans to replicate each center to the others for redundancy? Even still, that's not likely to be 100% resilient to nature's fury...

But then you can't be 100% protect for 100% of the possibilities, but still there are things that just make sense...

----------

In an alternate universe I am down voting this comment.

And in this one, I'm wondering how the thread about Apple's data center plans got to talking so much about the iPhone...:confused:

You all dismiss the possibility that they will just call it 'the new iPhone'...:D

(Yeah, where did the vote down button go?)

Asia8
Jul 20, 2012, 06:25 AM
Rich fantasy.:eek:

Not realistic, but a lot more interesting than anything else I could come up with for such a plain topic.

scott911
Jul 20, 2012, 06:38 AM
maybe it's also a new Bunker for Vp Bidden?

Mad-B-One
Jul 20, 2012, 08:24 AM
The fifth phone already came out last year. They called it the 4S. Oh did I say that out loud? Sorry.

Yes you did and you are wrong. There is the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 GSM, 4 CDMA, and iPhone 4S. So, there are already 6 out. Therefore it is absolutely irrelevant what people call it or how they count as long as the context is showing they mean the next iPhone.

sjp5317
Jul 20, 2012, 08:27 AM
I wonder what type of Internet Connection, they have there?!? Maybe an OC-768? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_carrier)
Quick, someone break in and run a Speedtest from a terminal!

alent1234
Jul 20, 2012, 08:34 AM

and don't forget the murder holes

unlinked
Jul 20, 2012, 09:31 AM
And in this one, I'm wondering how the thread about Apple's data center plans got to talking so much about the iPhone...:confused:

You all dismiss the possibility that they will just call it 'the new iPhone'...:D

(Yeah, where did the vote down button go?)

Most people don't dismiss it. Personally I do not really care what it is called. The name of a phone does not factor heavily in my purchasing decision. I just think it unlikely to be the iPhone 6 since there has never been a 5.

They removed down voting because all the negativity it entailed was making puppies cry or something. We are supposed to reply telling people how and why they are wrong instead.

docwisdom
Jul 20, 2012, 10:14 AM
I would say the most logical use for a higher security datacenter of this size is just for Apple corporate data. Internal use only servers for company data and staff usage.
(Intellectual Property, the stuff you really want to protect)

ahayes
Jul 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
Smaller secure facility to meet NSA/CIA/FBI demands to mine the iCloud?

KidIcarus412
Jul 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=PinkyMacGodess;15287239]And yet, with all of this planning, putting the buildings above ground in an area that is prone to tornadoes and hurricanes seems like extremely poor planning to me. One good tornado near miss/direct hit, and they are out a whole lot of money and customers/clients are going to be pissed.
COLOR="#808080"]

----------

[/COLOR]

Data centers can be designed to resist hurricane/tornado strength winds in the range of 300mph.

PinkyMacGodess
Jul 20, 2012, 12:33 PM
Most people don't dismiss it. Personally I do not really care what it is called. The name of a phone does not factor heavily in my purchasing decision. I just think it unlikely to be the iPhone 6 since there has never been a 5.

They removed down voting because all the negativity it entailed was making puppies cry or something. We are supposed to reply telling people how and why they are wrong instead.

Well, the whole naming thing I'm sure takes up a lot of time at Apple and other companies. I mean, can you imagine announcing 'Windows 17'? 'iPad 12'? 'Adobe Reader 27'? I mean, absurd examples, but did Adobe Pagemaker get renamed Indesign because of the rev levels of the former product?

And in the end, is 'the New iPad' anything less than the next evolution in the iPad line? (Although at some point they will have to say 'iPad 4' I'd think, because it would be a little ridiculous to call each new iPad the 'New iPad'.)

----------

Well I do remember once I commented on a thread and tried to be witty/pithy and evidently everyone took it wrong and I was flamed to a crisp with negative votes (*SOB* and comments). But life goes on...:cool:

----------

Data centers can be designed to resist hurricane/tornado strength winds in the range of 300mph.

However, a raised structure is not as resistant to wind and wind borne debris as a grade level, or semi sub-grade building. Like this could have survived a Katrina type hit, and how many weeks would it take to get it back up and running. An eight-foot high fence won't keep out a wall of water with peoples debris (cars, etc) in it.

Whatever... With some of the issues I've had with iCloud, I don't imagine it's won a lot of the hearts and minds of the user community anyway...

TallManNY
Jul 20, 2012, 03:35 PM
The last iPhone was called iPhone 4S to stand for iPhone "For Steve". It was an homage name and product.

WardC
Jul 21, 2012, 08:26 PM
This sounds like Apple's secret new invention: The iPrison™