Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trojan22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I have a Mac mini mid-2010 that has been suffering from extremely slow performance for sometime (spinning beach balls with the simplest of applications, slow to open web pages or applications, etc.). I made an appointment with the Genius Bar fearing a failing hard drive. I also ordered memory to max it out to 8GB. I installed the memory today and there has been a notable difference in operating speed. Do I still keep my service appointment to make sure that it wasn't also a failing hard drive? Time isn't a real factor since the Apple Store is close by.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a Mac mini mid-2010 that has been suffering from extremely slow performance for sometime (spinning beach balls with the simplest of applications, slow to open web pages or applications, etc.). I made an appointment with the Genius Bar fearing a failing hard drive. I also ordered memory to max it out to 8GB. I installed the memory today and there has been a notable difference in operating speed. Do I still keep my service appointment to make sure that it wasn't also a failing hard drive? Time isn't a real factor since the Apple Store is close by.
Slow performance may or may not be caused by a failing drive. There are other possibilities that don't involve hardware issues. If you're having performance issues, this may help:

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I would keep the appointment. Make sure you have a good backup of your drive before you go in.

trojan22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Slow performance may or may not be caused by a failing drive. There are other possibilities that don't involve hardware issues. If you're having performance issues, this may help:

I actually went through that list over the passed week and there was no appreciable difference in performance. The only changed I've seen is upgrading the RAM today.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I actually went through that list over the passed week and there was no appreciable difference in performance. The only changed I've seen is upgrading the RAM today.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the whole Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Testing this and doing it on my MacMini.

Thanks for posting the how to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 8.02.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 8.02.14 PM.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 86

trojan22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
here's the screen shot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 6.35.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 6.35.05 PM.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 81

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
based on your ram used if you had 2gb ram you were doing swaps to your hdd. think of ram as a race car and your 5400rpm stock hdd as walking. now that you have 8gb ram and use 2.07gb of it you are no longer swapping to the slow hdd. my guess is you do not need the apple appointment. are you under apple care? if you are you may as well go but if this is not a free appointment i would cancel it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
here's the screen shot
I don't see anything that indicates excessive system resource use. Delete any non-essential items from the following locations:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/ and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

• /Library/StartupItems/
    (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

trojan22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
based on your ram used if you had 2gb ram you were doing swaps to your hdd. think of ram as a race car and your 5400rpm stock hdd as walking. now that you have 8gb ram and use 2.07gb of it you are no longer swapping to the slow hdd. my guess is you do not need the apple appointment. are you under apple care? if you are you may as well go but if this is not a free appointment i would cancel it.

I did have the stock 2GB and I do have AppleCare

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.