PDA

View Full Version : Three finger drag results in animation lag?

NeonBible
Jul 20, 2012, 05:06 AM
I notice when I move Safari-tabs, move documents to the trash can, mark text with PopClip, some lags and latency do occur when using three finger drag. If I do the same actions without three finger drag, no lag occurs. Does anyone else notice this and are there some solutions to avoid the animation lag?

ScoobyMcDoo
Jul 20, 2012, 11:47 AM
For me, a 3-finger drag changes spaces, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Drew017
Jul 20, 2012, 10:21 PM
For me, a 3-finger drag changes spaces, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

In trackpad preferences you can tick a box that allows the 3 finger drag.

----------

I haven't noticed a lag... What are your Mac's specs?

NeonBible
Jul 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
In trackpad preferences you can tick a box that allows the 3 finger drag.

----------

I haven't noticed a lag... What are your Mac's specs?
Just try moving a Safari-tab one place to the right (with three finger drag). Right before it changes place, you can see a little lag. Now, try again with a physical click to move. You'll notice a difference. I've reinstalled twice, actually, and I still have the lag when using three finger drag.

I own an MBA mid 2012 base 13 inch but also had the same 'problem' with my mid 2011 MBA.

gr8tfly
Jul 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
I've been using 3-finger drag for a long time now. I don't notice any lag when starting a drag or stopping it, until it was pointed out here.

I believe the delay (not a performance lag) is so you can reposition your fingers to continue a drag (where you have hit the edge of the trackpad) - the same way you would do it with a mechanical click and drag. If it wasn't there, you wouldn't have time to reposition before the OS stopped the drag. This is especially important if you are dragging to a Mission Control hot-corner to drop the item on an app window in another space.

NeonBible
Jul 22, 2012, 05:51 PM
I've been using 3-finger drag for a long time now. I don't notice any lag when starting a drag or stopping it, until it was pointed out here.

I believe the delay (not a performance lag) is so you can reposition your fingers to continue a drag (where you have hit the edge of the trackpad) - the same way you would do it with a mechanical click and drag. If it wasn't there, you wouldn't have time to reposition before the OS stopped the drag. This is especially important if you are dragging to a Mission Control hot-corner to drop the item on an app window in another space.
Ah, thank you! It makes much sense! :)