Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I notice when I move Safari-tabs, move documents to the trash can, mark text with PopClip, some lags and latency do occur when using three finger drag. If I do the same actions without three finger drag, no lag occurs. Does anyone else notice this and are there some solutions to avoid the animation lag?

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
In trackpad preferences you can tick a box that allows the 3 finger drag.

----------

I haven't noticed a lag... What are your Mac's specs?
Just try moving a Safari-tab one place to the right (with three finger drag). Right before it changes place, you can see a little lag. Now, try again with a physical click to move. You'll notice a difference. I've reinstalled twice, actually, and I still have the lag when using three finger drag.

I own an MBA mid 2012 base 13 inch but also had the same 'problem' with my mid 2011 MBA.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I've been using 3-finger drag for a long time now. I don't notice any lag when starting a drag or stopping it, until it was pointed out here.

I believe the delay (not a performance lag) is so you can reposition your fingers to continue a drag (where you have hit the edge of the trackpad) - the same way you would do it with a mechanical click and drag. If it wasn't there, you wouldn't have time to reposition before the OS stopped the drag. This is especially important if you are dragging to a Mission Control hot-corner to drop the item on an app window in another space.

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I've been using 3-finger drag for a long time now. I don't notice any lag when starting a drag or stopping it, until it was pointed out here.

I believe the delay (not a performance lag) is so you can reposition your fingers to continue a drag (where you have hit the edge of the trackpad) - the same way you would do it with a mechanical click and drag. If it wasn't there, you wouldn't have time to reposition before the OS stopped the drag. This is especially important if you are dragging to a Mission Control hot-corner to drop the item on an app window in another space.
Ah, thank you! It makes much sense! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.