PDA

View Full Version : iStat Pro replacement?

danb77
Jul 20, 2012, 06:04 AM
Istat pro was a handy dashboard widget for displaying system data such as battery usage and running processes.

Unfortunately it is not fully ML compatible. The devs have confirmed on Twitter that they will not be updating it to ML compatibility, so it sadly must be considered abandonware.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?

rodknocker
Jul 20, 2012, 06:07 AM
There are a lot of Widgets which are incompatible with Mountain Lion :((((

I really like to use Dashboard for my every day work.

danb77
Jul 20, 2012, 06:23 AM
There are a lot of Widgets which are incompatible with Mountain Lion :((((

I really like to use Dashboard for my every day work.

It is odd that Apple is still enhancing Dashboard while developers and users seem to have got bored of it! I still use it though.

rodknocker
Jul 20, 2012, 06:31 AM
I use Dashboard since OS X Tiger.

daneoni
Jul 20, 2012, 06:39 AM
They probably just want you to get iStat Menus instead since they make money off that.

nyolc8
Jul 20, 2012, 06:48 AM
I'm using iStat Pro widget on Mountain Lion GM, and only the "processes" section not working. But it doesn't bother me because I use it only for checking temps. :)

maflynn
Jul 20, 2012, 07:17 AM
Just give them time, ML is not out for general release, Give the vendor a little time to update their widget.

rodknocker
Jul 20, 2012, 07:35 AM
iStat Menus is ML compatible :)

cambookpro
Jul 20, 2012, 07:51 AM
Just give them time, ML is not out for general release, Give the vendor a little time to update their widget.

The devs have confirmed on Twitter that they will not be updating it to ML compatibility

maflynn
Jul 20, 2012, 07:52 AM
The devs have confirmed on Twitter that they will not be updating it to ML compatibility

Ahh, gotcha, I missed that. I guess in a sense you get what you pay for :/

I think widgets in general never really turned out the way apple wanted them too. I think iStat was one of the few successes, but in the end, it probably didn't make economic sense for the vendor. Too bad

fisherking
Jul 25, 2012, 08:28 PM
ah, well. have the same issue. nothing showing for 'processes'.
everything else works.
wish they'd fix it (i even bought the menubar app)..
:(

traumuhhtize
Jul 25, 2012, 08:59 PM
iStat Menus 3 woop woop.

btbrossard
Jul 25, 2012, 09:05 PM
Another vote for iStat Menus. It works great and it looks really nice too!

gwsat
Jul 25, 2012, 09:48 PM
The iStat Pro widget has long been my go to computer monitoring app. Like most of you, I was disheartened to discover that the current version of the app can't display precesses under Mountain Lion. After doing a little investigation into iStat Menus, which apparently is fully compatible with Mountain Lion, I have decided not to buy it right now. It looks like a nice app but I am not sure that its incremental improvements over iStat Pro are worth its $16 price. I would like to hear what others have to say about this.

kbmb
Jul 25, 2012, 09:54 PM
The iStat Pro widget has long been my go to computer monitoring app. Like most of you, I was disheartened to discover that the current version of the app can't display precesses under Mountain Lion. After doing a little investigation into iStat Menus, which apparently is fully compatible with Mountain Lion, I have decided not to buy it right now. It looks like a nice app but I am not sure that its incremental improvements over iStat Pro are worth its $16 price. I would like to hear what others have to say about this.

I'm with you. I downloaded and tried menus....but I really don't want it running all the time. I really only glance at my stats and the dashboard has been nice to go to.

For me it's not really the price.....more the change. Right now if I need to glance I just hit dashboard and view the widget. With menus....I need to collapse everything into one menu (because I don't want to see all that stuff all the time)....and then to see something....mouse to the menubar....click, find the group I want and view the stats.

I just turned off processes for now. Only other thing that isn't working right is in the Tall format...I get double meters for each HDD showing space.

-Kevin

quickmac
Jul 25, 2012, 09:59 PM
Works fine on mine.

thephased
Jul 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
For whatever its worth, iStat nano in the dashboard works perfectly fine in ML. Haven't tried the other versions.

morberg
Jul 26, 2012, 02:47 AM
For whatever its worth, iStat nano in the dashboard works perfectly fine in ML. Haven't tried the other versions.

Neither iStat nano nor iStat pro displays any processes on my ML installation (same as for everybody else in the thread). Everything else works. Do you really see processes in iStat nano?

You can always do 'top -o cpu' in a terminal window if you want to see your most active processes, but it would be nice to have a widget too.

Watabou
Jul 26, 2012, 02:55 AM
Neither iStat nano nor iStat pro displays any processes on my ML installation (same as for everybody else in the thread). Everything else works. Do you really see processes in iStat nano?

You can always do 'top -o cpu' in a terminal window if you want to see your most active processes, but it would be nice to have a widget too.

Or just use the Activity Monitor and set it to show all processes. I always have it open and you can set the dock icon to show CPU/memory/network/disk usage which is incredibly handy.
Htop is another command line program that's similar to top but much more beautiful and configurable.

Buduls
Jul 26, 2012, 06:18 AM
It's easy to fix iStat Pro processes for Mountain Lion

Steps:

1. Locate your widget, it will be under /Library/Widgets or ~/Library/Widgets
2. Right click it and select: "Show Package Contents"
3. Open Wide.js or Tall.js file in some editor (Wide is for horizontal view, Tall for vertical)

4. Locate the line

WideSkinController.prototype.updateProcesses = function(){
var _self = this;
var exclude = "";
if(p.v("processes_excludewidgets") == 'on')
exclude = " grep -v DashboardClient | ";

if(p.v("processes_sort_mode") == 'cpu')
widget.system('ps -arcwwwxo "pid %cpu command" | egrep "PID|$1" | grep -v grep | ' + exclude + ' head -7 | tail -6 | awk \'{print "<pid>"$1"</pid><cpu>"$2"</cpu><name>"$3,$4,$5"</name></item>"}\'', function(data){ _self.updateProcessesOut(data);});
else
widget.system('ps -amcwwwxo "pid rss command" | egrep "PID|$1" | grep -v grep | ' + exclude + ' head -7 | tail -6 | awk \'{print "<pid>"$1"</pid><cpu>"$2"</cpu><name>"$3,$4,$5"</name></item>"}\'', function(data){ _self.updateProcessesOut(data);});
}

Change "PID|$1" to "PID| $1" (Add space before $ sign)

5. Save the changes

6. remove widget and re-add it Dashboard, and it should be fixed

daneoni
Jul 26, 2012, 06:27 AM
^
Brilliant! Thanks!

kbmb
Jul 26, 2012, 06:32 AM
^^

Ditto.....BRILLIANT! Worked perfectly!

You don't even have to remove the widget....just restart the Dock with: killall Dock

-Kevin

danb77
Jul 26, 2012, 06:41 AM
This works. Fantastic. Let's drop a note to the authors, and tell them of the fix. Maybe they'll update it now that the issue has been figured out.

kbmb
Jul 26, 2012, 06:43 AM
Now the only thing left for me is the HDD bars in Tall mode...the bars are doubled.

-Kevin

fisherking
Jul 26, 2012, 07:04 AM
excellent, works...thanx!!

brisbaneguy29
Jul 26, 2012, 08:04 AM
Thank you so much for that fix, worked perfectly for me. I also have the doubled hard drive bars but I don't really care about that, now I can see the processes again.

BUDULS you are a champion!

zepman
Jul 26, 2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks Buduls! It works great now.
I updated the icon to higher resolution. Save the attached icon and replace the old one in Package Contents.

Sylon
Jul 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
I just upgraded to ML, and my iStat Pro seems to be working just fine. I never had to change anything. What wasn't working for you guys?

Buduls
Jul 26, 2012, 09:48 AM
I just upgraded to ML, and my iStat Pro seems to be working just fine. I never had to change anything. What wasn't working for you guys?
Process list was not showing

Sylon
Jul 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
Process list was not showing

That's it? No wonder I didn't notice a difference, I didn't have that option selected.

hanshans-supi
Jul 26, 2012, 10:06 AM
my fault

kbmb
Jul 26, 2012, 10:08 AM
The fix does not work right for me. It shows some processes, but not with their percentage like i was used to it. Now it show off the memory-usage of the processes. Can someone fix it?

Greets
Hans

Did your settings change? Look in the settings under General and make sure Sort processes by is set to CPU usage not Memory usage.

-Kevin

jive turkey
Jul 26, 2012, 10:32 AM
Buduls, you are a champion! This forum is amazing. The people here rock.

fingerman
Jul 26, 2012, 12:13 PM
Same issue on mine although I can't find my widget :o

Looked under Library and Widgets but just the standard lot are there, what I'm a doing weong?

kbmb
Jul 26, 2012, 12:16 PM
Same issue on mine although I can't find my widget :o

Looked under Library and Widgets but just the standard lot are there, what I'm a doing weong?

It's in ~/Library/Widgets

Apple hides the users Library folder.....you can quickly get to it in Finder by holding Option when clicking on the Go menu (with Finder as the active app). You'll see the link for Library.

To permantely (until the next update) unhide the Library folder, enter this in terminal:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

-Kevin

doug in albq
Jul 26, 2012, 12:21 PM
MenuMeters is a fairly nice iStat replacement...and it is free, and works on ML

kbmb
Jul 26, 2012, 12:22 PM
MenuMeters is a fairly nice iStat replacement...and it is free, and works on ML

Some of us prefer to have it hidden away in Dashboard.....not being seen on the menubar.

Other than the double disk usage bars in the Tall format....I think it's back to working fine now with the Processes fix.

-Kevin

gwsat
Jul 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
Buduls -- Thanks a million, you are a miracle worker! Thanks to the minor changes you recommended be made to the tall.js text file, iStat Pro running under Mountain Lion now shows my Processes. Don't know how you sorted this fix out but my hat's off to you.

i-aamir
Jul 26, 2012, 12:57 PM
Mine seems to work fine on ML

Puonti
Jul 26, 2012, 01:19 PM

Apple hides the users Library folder.....you can quickly get to it in Finder by holding Option when clicking on the Go menu (with Finder as the active app). You'll see the link for Library.

That's not what fingerman was talking about. I had iStat Pro widget installed in my dashboard since who knows when, but when I looked at my /Library/Widgets folder where all the default widgets are, that's all it contained - default widgets. I had no idea where the package for iStat Pro widget was on my HDD. Spotlight couldn't find it. This was fingerman's dilemma, too.

In the end I just removed the iStat Pro widget from the dashboard, then removed it from the list of widgets (click + in dashboard, then click - to make the widgets wiggle, then click x on iStat Pro's icon). I assume this also removed the package file, wherever it was.

I then downloaded iStat Pro again, moved the package file into the /Library/Widgets folder, did the changes suggested in this thread and now have iStat Pro back. With processes.

Thanks a ton for that tip Buduls! (and the nicer icon, zepman)

attila
Jul 26, 2012, 05:00 PM

Steps:

3. Open Wide.js or Tall.js file in some editor (Wide is for horizontal view, Tall for vertical)

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

BRILLIANT! :D

I was so worried I had to remove iStat Pro

pavelbure
Jul 26, 2012, 06:31 PM

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

Thank you

Sapphire08
Jul 26, 2012, 07:01 PM

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

Thank you - you are a superstar

----------

To permantely (until the next update) unhide the Library folder, enter this in terminal:

-Kevin

Awesome - couldn't have found it without this tip - thank you so much

sdsvtdriver
Jul 26, 2012, 08:23 PM

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

you sir, are the man

eagandale4114
Jul 26, 2012, 09:15 PM

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

Have a bunch of cookies.
http://freerangecookies.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/have-a-cookie-for-lunch-day.jpg

fingerman
Jul 27, 2012, 04:03 AM

-Kevin

Brilliant, thanks a lot - all is working now :D

Macman45
Jul 27, 2012, 04:11 AM
I'm using iStat Pro widget on Mountain Lion GM, and only the "processes" section not working. But it doesn't bother me because I use it only for checking temps. :)

I'm using it too, it still does the essentials, so I'm not looking for a replacement, although the battery health section is mis-reporting my MBA's health, it still monitors fans, heat etc. so worth keeping. It didn't appear on the incompatible list when I installed ML, but quite a few third party Apps did have to go...Onyx, which is a utility I like is still in BETA for ML (2.3.3) so I'll wait until they get it right...It's not an app you want to use in BETA unless you have a dedicated machine to test on...Those days are gone for me now!

HellFira
Jul 27, 2012, 07:34 AM
Is anyone else finding that the HD temp is not updating when the Mac wakes up from sleep? Have to close and re-open widget to see the actual temp.

Seems to update fine during the day, just not refresh after sleep.

HellFira
Jul 27, 2012, 11:04 AM
Is anyone else finding that the HD temp is not updating when the Mac wakes up from sleep? Have to close and re-open widget to see the actual temp.

Seems to update fine during the day, just not refresh after sleep.

It seems to have updated last time I woke from sleep now. So maybe the temp hadn't really changed yet.

Yuke
Jul 27, 2012, 11:40 AM

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

Buduls, if you're ever in MA, I owe you a frosty beverage!

Has anyone passed this on to the Bjango folks? I know they've said they have no plans to update the widget, but I can't imagine they'd be opposed to adding a total of four spaces...

kbmb
Jul 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
Buduls, if you're ever in MA, I owe you a frosty beverage!

Has anyone passed this on to the Bjango folks? I know they've said they have no plans to update the widget, but I can't imagine they'd be opposed to adding a total of four spaces...

I replied to some people on Twitter and included Bjango....they haven't commented back.

That and someone offered money and it seems they still won't update it:
https://twitter.com/bjango/statuses/228807155682258944

-Kevin

fisherking
Jul 27, 2012, 11:49 AM
I'm using it too, it still does the essentials, so I'm not looking for a replacement, although the battery health section is mis-reporting my MBA's health, it still monitors fans, heat etc. so worth keeping. It didn't appear on the incompatible list when I installed ML, but quite a few third party Apps did have to go...Onyx, which is a utility I like is still in BETA for ML (2.3.3) so I'll wait until they get it right...It's not an app you want to use in BETA unless you have a dedicated machine to test on...Those days are gone for me now!

onyx is fine here...did a full run with it, some parameter adjustments..

DomAbr
Jul 28, 2012, 04:03 AM
You are an iStat GOD! :D

HOOT
Jul 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
Thank You BUDULS!

kbmb
Jul 28, 2012, 10:33 AM
So anyone willing to takle the double disk usage bars in Tall mode?

-Kevin

kbmb
Jul 28, 2012, 12:01 PM
Ok, so after taking a look....it seems that for some reason, the background images used in the Tall bars for showing disk usage where positioned starting in the center, and wrapping around. This is what was causing the bars to look like they were doubled.

No idea why it started happening, but here's a solution to the CSS file to fix it. Not sure if some ML update will change this in the future, so use at your own risk. I'll repeat Budlus's instructions for finding the file:

3. Open core.css in some editor

4. Locate the block (for me it's starting on line 7) and add the following line in RED.

.verticalbarbg {
background-image:url(./images/common/bar_vertical_bg.png);
width:8px;
overflow:hidden;
background-position: -4px 0;
}

5. Directly under this block, ADD the following CSS statement:

.verticalbar {
}

By adding this statement to the core.css file, it will affect all colors for the widget.

6. You can either remove and re-add the widget, or just kill the Dock and restart Dashboard by going to terminal and entering: killall Dock

----------------------

-Kevin

morechicken
Jul 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
Thank you very much! Perfect!

hkoster1
Jul 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
Just for those who haven't figured it out yet, the BUDULS recipe also works for iStat nano, the file to be edited is now called workers.js.

kristoffer4
Jul 29, 2012, 04:11 PM
Have anyone considered Istat from the MAS as a replacement?

It should be more accurate. Also how much ram does Istat Pro use?

I love istat pro but I am considering doeing a switch to the app on ML.

kbmb
Jul 29, 2012, 04:14 PM
Have anyone considered Istat from the MAS as a replacement?

It should be more accurate. Also how much ram does Istat Pro use?

I love istat pro but I am considering doeing a switch to the app on ML.

I think most of us in this thread want to use iStat Pro as a dashboard widget....not an app or a menubar utility.

As a dashboard widget....resource usage is low and I believe it only updates when the dashboard is active.....when I load dashboard....I can see it take a second to update numbers.

I love it as a widget....it's out of the way.

I tried iStat Menus. Nice app. Nice that you can collapse into a single menubar item. Still, I don't need all that.

I use the widget to glance at stats.....glance at my temps, or processes, or network traffic. I don't really care about the stats....just need to glance and see at certain times.

-Kevin

kristoffer4
Jul 29, 2012, 04:20 PM
Me too. But I have been tempted to see if I could live with the app...

Thanks for the tips in this thread btw! Nice to know that I can still keep istat pro in ML.

Strange that no one has made an alternative to the widget now that development has ceased...

jkwuc89
Jul 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
Absolutely brilliant! The tweeks to iStat Pro in this thread work like a champ!

Teo Morabito
Aug 2, 2012, 10:38 PM

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

You are a Hero ! hahaha

Performat
Aug 3, 2012, 04:07 PM

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

Awesome! Thank you from France! And we will finally beat you at the Games...:p

Peruvian
Aug 3, 2012, 04:43 PM
Mad props to Buduls... i dont know how you found this fix, but thanks anyway...

faricazy
Aug 4, 2012, 09:49 PM
Anyone else getting weird drive space readings?

Finder shows 118 GB available, iStat shows 79 GB.

Running 4.92. Tried reinstalling, deleting the pref files, with and without the mods to make it work better on 10.8, nothing seems to fix the drive space issue.

kbmb
Aug 4, 2012, 09:57 PM
Anyone else getting weird drive space readings?

Finder shows 118 GB available, iStat shows 79 GB.

Running 4.92. Tried reinstalling, deleting the pref files, with and without the mods to make it work better on 10.8, nothing seems to fix the drive space issue.

Not here. All 5 internal and 2 external are correct in iStat Pro.

-Kevin

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 4, 2012, 10:11 PM
I'm with you. I downloaded and tried menus....but I really don't want it running all the time. I really only glance at my stats and the dashboard has been nice to go to.

The dashboard runs all the time...

kbmb
Aug 4, 2012, 10:17 PM

Dashboard itself is running all the time, but the iStat widget isn't constantly polling the system. If I go to dashboard after a while, it takes a few seconds for the widget to update.

I've never had an issue with dashboard and resources. Not saying iStat menus is bad since I don't know.

-Kevin

Icy1007
Aug 4, 2012, 10:17 PM

Dashboard runs as part of the dock.

faricazy
Aug 4, 2012, 10:59 PM
Ah! Nevermind. iStat is correct. I had Local Snapshots disabled on my Macbook while on Lion and ML reenabled it, taking up 43 GB or so. iStat and Disk Utility are showing the same amount of free space, Finder assumes it can overwrite the backups when it needs to and shows more.

torneko
Aug 13, 2012, 01:23 AM
Thank you very much for the quick fix for ML!

Tander
Aug 13, 2012, 01:46 AM
Istat pro was a handy dashboard widget for displaying system data such as battery usage and running processes.

Unfortunately it is not fully ML compatible. The devs have confirmed on Twitter that they will not be updating it to ML compatibility, so it sadly must be considered abandonware.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?

I'm using iStat Pro here and it's working 100%?

Mr. Zorg
Aug 13, 2012, 02:09 AM
The problem seems to be that $1 is always empty and the egrep in ML doesn't seem to like that. Your fix seems to work, but it isn't technically the same thing. Try replacing egrep "PID|$1" with grep -e "PID" -e "$1" for a more faithful replacement... Though I don't know if it really changes anything.

freedevil
Aug 13, 2012, 03:08 AM
I would not be surprised if Dashboard just vanishes some day. I love it though and use it a lot.

zeerak.ahmed
Aug 13, 2012, 12:24 PM

Thank you so much Buduls! You've made my life much better.

Troneas
Aug 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
here is the improved version of the icon zepman posted earlier for those who want to update it (i removed the excess white around the edges and included a frame!! like most other widgets have).

edit: its still a bit larger than the other widget icons if anyone knows the correct dimensions please share them and ill fix this one. thanks.

3bs
Aug 13, 2012, 08:05 PM
And this is why I love MacRumors!

I bought iStat Menus before I found out about this fix but I'd still buy it again. Combining it with Bartender means not having to worry about your menubar getting cluttered.

kristoffer4
Aug 14, 2012, 01:03 AM
Does istat menu use more cpu / ram than the widget?

Icy1007
Aug 14, 2012, 01:16 AM
Does istat menu use more cpu / ram than the widget?

Yes, It does.

M5RahuL
Aug 14, 2012, 01:38 AM
Subscribed for future use ... :D

Thans a ton Buduls ! :)

Sylon
Aug 14, 2012, 08:05 AM
My iStat Pro started acting weird yesterday. I have 2 internet connections that I use, 1 coming into my Mac, 1 leaving my Mac for my other devices (via internet sharing). For months, iStat Pro displayed both connections with their various speeds, IP addresses, etc. Last night, it just stopped one of them. Now it's only showing wifi instead of wifi and ethernet. No clue as to why, my iOS devices were getting internet just fine, my Airport Express was working perfectly. Very weird.

Fofer
Aug 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
That's not what fingerman was talking about. I had iStat Pro widget installed in my dashboard since who knows when, but when I looked at my /Library/Widgets folder where all the default widgets are, that's all it contained - default widgets. I had no idea where the package for iStat Pro widget was on my HDD. Spotlight couldn't find it. This was fingerman's dilemma, too.

Yes, that *is* what fingerman was talking about.

OS X has three "library" folders.

-One is on the root level of your hard drive.

-One is inside the System folder.

-And the last one, the one where your user-specific files are, are inside Users/yourusername. However, starting with Lion, this folder is hidden by default. There are many ways to unhide it (temporarily or permanently.) You can Google for those. This is where your personally installed Widgets would be.

NoMoneyLeftBoy
Aug 22, 2012, 05:49 AM
BUDULS you cool git, very smoothly done. Thanks.

gulac
Aug 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
Thank you for sharing the fix !

SaltySkipper
Aug 25, 2012, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Buduls

Works like a charm! :cool:
I didn't re-install the widget, but used the 'killall Dock' command in Terminal like 'kbmb' (few posts down) suggested

Great post & THX! :apple:

Badrottie
Aug 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
I'm using iStat Pro here and it's working 100%?

same here…haven't update istats pro after ML upgrade. :apple:

Buduls
Aug 26, 2012, 08:05 AM
same here…haven't update istats pro after ML upgrade. :apple:

You don't have processes in your widget, thats the only thing which was not working after upgrading to ML

Badrottie
Aug 26, 2012, 08:17 PM
You don't have processes in your widget, thats the only thing which was not working after upgrading to ML

oh ok :apple:

thebartonfox
Aug 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks for fix on the processes, it works fine now.

There's also a problem with showing the icons for disks other than the Macintosh HD and Recovery HD. Instead it shows just a question mark. Does anybody know of a fix for this?

Fofer
Aug 28, 2012, 03:29 PM
I have multiple drives and their (custom) icons are all showing up fine for me in the iStat Pro widget. No question marks. I did turn off display of the "Recovery HD" though, no need to see it...

Ledgem
Sep 1, 2012, 10:52 PM
Ok, so after taking a look....it seems that for some reason, the background images used in the Tall bars for showing disk usage where positioned starting in the center, and wrapping around. This is what was causing the bars to look like they were doubled.

No idea why it started happening, but here's a solution to the CSS file to fix it. Not sure if some ML update will change this in the future, so use at your own risk. I'll repeat Budlus's instructions for finding the file:

4. Locate the block (for me it's starting on line 7) and add the following line in RED.

.verticalbarbg {
}

.verticalbar {
}

By adding this statement to the core.css file, it will affect all colors for the widget.

6. You can either remove and re-add the widget, or just kill the Dock and restart Dashboard by going to terminal and entering: killall Dock

----------------------

-Kevin
Thank you for this, the double bar thing was a bit of an irritation to me as well.

Just in case anyone isn't clear, this is what the final edits should look like (with the parts that you'll be adding in bold and blue):

.barbg {
background-image:url(./images/common/bar_horizontal_bg.png);
height:8px;
}

.verticalbarbg {
}

.verticalbar {
}

canvas {
background-image:url(./images/common/graph_bg.png);
}

(Note that since I was editing in TextEdit the spacing on the "background-position" add-in isn't in line with everything else; it doesn't seem to make a difference, though.)

I use iStat Menus, but still rely on iStat Pro for some other information. Disappointing to hear that the makers aren't going to keep it updated... hopefully future OS X updates won't create problems that the community can't handle.

Thanks to buduls and kbmb for contributing these code fixes!

BigJohno
Sep 1, 2012, 11:53 PM
I love istat menu. I'm on 10.8.1. My issue is that it doesn't read my gpu memory usage correctly. It's completely maxed out.

Mac pro with 5770.

Puonti
Sep 2, 2012, 03:34 AM
Yes, that *is* what fingerman was talking about.

OS X has three "library" folders.

-One is on the root level of your hard drive.

-One is inside the System folder.

-And the last one, the one where your user-specific files are, are inside Users/yourusername. However, starting with Lion, this folder is hidden by default. There are many ways to unhide it (temporarily or permanently.) You can Google for those. This is where your personally installed Widgets would be.

Thanks for the clarification, but are you sure only the personal library folder was hidden in Lion? Whichever folder I was looking in was definitely hidden, which would suggest it was the one under my username... but as I noted, it only contained the default widgets.

BensDaMan
Sep 23, 2012, 02:55 AM
Thanks Buduls it worked great!

dolphindolphin
Sep 25, 2012, 09:55 PM

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

Great fix. Thanks!

petsounds
Sep 26, 2012, 03:46 AM
Other than the double disk usage bars in the Tall format....I think it's back to working fine now with the Processes fix.

Nah mate, the double bars are as expected. Mountain Lion turned on dual-core mode for drives. ;)

I'm actually surprised these guys updated iStat as long as they did, considering it wasn't a paid product. If they're going to abandon it, it'd be nice if they could put it up on github as an open source product.

zepman
Sep 26, 2012, 07:53 AM
It's still a bit larger than the other widget icons if anyone knows the correct dimensions please share them and ill fix this one. thanks.

I have now updated the icon so it should be about the same size as the others.
I don't know if it's ok to upload the complete app here. But since it's a free application and the support is dropped I will do that anyway.

I modified iStat Pro as buduls and kbmb described. Thanks both of you for contributing these code fixes!

I also applied buduls code fix to the iStat nano.

Both the complete applications and only the icons are attached below.

ashanp
Oct 9, 2012, 06:05 PM
Awesome!! Thanks

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

Badagri
Oct 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
Has something changed recently with the latest update to Mountain Lion? the Network section of the Nano has the external IP of unknown. It was working fine with 10.8.2 itself.

kbmb
Oct 10, 2012, 02:12 PM
Has something changed recently with the latest update to Mountain Lion? the Network section of the Nano has the external IP of unknown. It was working fine with 10.8.2 itself.

I'm on the latest update 10.8.2 Supplemental Update and it's showing my external IP fine.

-Kevin

theanimaster
Oct 12, 2012, 11:38 AM
My network thing says "Updating..." and it's stuck on that.

Other than that... everything else works fine. I don't use it for checking my network anyways (I use Little Snitch 3 for that).

kbmb
Oct 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Well, not sure why it was working the other day but mine now is either Updating or Unknown.

I think as time goes by iStat Pro will probably slowly stop working.

-Kevin

urbncwby
Oct 14, 2012, 10:31 AM
Actually as of today iStat is completely gone. islayer.com where people could download it is down, never to return again. @bjango at twitter confirms it. :( Just reinstalled ML from scratch and hate having no iStat anymore.

zepman
Oct 14, 2012, 03:41 PM
Actually as of today iStat is completely gone. islayer.com where people could download it is down, never to return again. @bjango at twitter confirms it. :( Just reinstalled ML from scratch and hate having no iStat anymore.

If you want it, I attached the complete widget with the fixes a couple of posts up.

urbncwby
Oct 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
If you want it, I attached the complete widget with the fixes a couple of posts up.

I saw that. BIG thanks for that :)

f00f
Oct 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
My network thing says "Updating..." and it's stuck on that.

Other than that... everything else works fine. I don't use it for checking my network anyways (I use Little Snitch 3 for that).

Well, not sure why it was working the other day but mine now is either Updating or Unknown.

I think as time goes by iStat Pro will probably slowly stop working.

-Kevin

Yeah, the IP address detection stopped because the islayer.com web sites went the way of the dodo bird -- and because the iStat Pro widget, by default, uses a URL within that domain for IP address detection. The solution is to use another web site that can display your external IP address when it's accessed. There's a number of such website that can do this for you (whatismyip.com (http://www.whatismyip.com) is one I've used often; even google will tell you when you ask for it (http://www.google.com/#q=what+is+my+ip))

It's important to note that iStat wants to hit a URL that will return the IP address of the client (you) in plain text, with no HTTP cruft. The code for this stuff lives within the iStat Pro.wdgt package, in scripts/core.js, in the function getExtIP() (roughly line 243 in the file). This function is as follows:

function getExtIP(){
ipURL = 'http://whatsmyip.islayer.com/?random='+new Date().getTime();
ipConnection = new XMLHttpRequest();
ipConnection.open("GET",ipURL,true);
ipConnection.onreadystatechange = function() {
if(ipConnection.readyState == 4 && ipConnection.responseText != null && ipConnection.responseText.length > 0) {
extIP = ipConnection.responseText;
if(extIP.length < 20 && ipConnection.status == 200 && extIP.match(/\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}/)){
e("wide_extip").innerHTML = extIP;
e("tall_extip").innerHTML = extIP;
valid_ip = true;
} else {
valid_ip = false;
e("wide_extip").innerHTML = "Unknown";
e("tall_extip").innerHTML = "Unknown";
}
}
}
ipConnection.send(null);
}

I posted the whole thing for the sake of context and completeness, but the important bit here is the second line: the variable ipURL. Since whatsmyip.islayer.com no longer exists, we need a new URL to use. It also needs to be a URL that returns the client's IP address in plain text (this part is implied by code later in the function, specifically, that the IP length be less than 20 chars. Including dots, even if each octet in an IP is 3 digits, that gives a max of 15.)

If you have access to a web server on the public Internet with PHP or similar on it, you can whip up a small utility that, when accessed by an HTTP client, will simply return the client's IP address (in Apache web servers, I think you could use the value of the REMOTE_ADDR environment variable) For those of us that don't have this luxury -- well, ask google.

I asked google for a website to return my IP address in plain text (http://www.google.com/#q=website+to+return+my+IP+address+in+plain+text). I'm not going to recommend any of the results of that google, because automated IP lookups may or may not fall within their acceptable use policies, etc. (In fact, here's such a policy at WhatIsMyIp.com (http://www.whatismyip.com/faq/automation.asp)) Once you find a URL that, when accessed, returns your public IP in plain text -- simply use that as the new value for ipURL on line 244 (or thereabout) in scripts/core.js. But please respect the usage policies of whatever site you use, as applicable.

Good luck ;)

kbmb
Oct 15, 2012, 07:28 AM
Yeah, the IP address detection stopped because the islayer.com web sites went the way of the dodo bird -- and because the iStat Pro widget, by default, uses a URL within that domain for IP address detection. The solution is to use another web site that can display your external IP address when it's accessed. There's a number of such website that can do this for you (whatismyip.com (http://www.whatismyip.com) is one I've used often; even google will tell you when you ask for it (http://www.google.com/#q=what+is+my+ip))

It's important to note that iStat wants to hit a URL that will return the IP address of the client (you) in plain text, with no HTTP cruft. The code for this stuff lives within the iStat Pro.wdgt package, in scripts/core.js, in the function getExtIP() (roughly line 243 in the file). This function is as follows:

I posted the whole thing for the sake of context and completeness, but the important bit here is the second line: the variable ipURL. Since whatsmyip.islayer.com no longer exists, we need a new URL to use. It also needs to be a URL that returns the client's IP address in plain text (this part is implied by code later in the function, specifically, that the IP length be less than 20 chars. Including dots, even if each octet in an IP is 3 digits, that gives a max of 15.)

If you have access to a web server on the public Internet with PHP or similar on it, you can whip up a small utility that, when accessed by an HTTP client, will simply return the client's IP address (in Apache web servers, I think you could use the value of the REMOTE_ADDR environment variable) For those of us that don't have this luxury -- well, ask google.

I asked google for a website to return my IP address in plain text (http://www.google.com/#q=website+to+return+my+IP+address+in+plain+text). I'm not going to recommend any of the results of that google, because automated IP lookups may or may not fall within their acceptable use policies, etc. (In fact, here's such a policy at WhatIsMyIp.com (http://www.whatismyip.com/faq/automation.asp)) Once you find a URL that, when accessed, returns your public IP in plain text -- simply use that as the new value for ipURL on line 244 (or thereabout) in scripts/core.js. But please respect the usage policies of whatever site you use, as applicable.

Good luck ;)

Awesome f00f. Thank you for this! I can't believe I poked around that file and never found this.

For those that have access to a web server running php.....you can simply create a file on the server called something like ip.php and put in the following code (code obtained from networksecuritytoolkit.org):

<?php
/* $Id: ip.php,v 1.3 2008/09/24 13:58:49 pblankenbaker Exp $
* Small PHP script to "echo" back the IP address of the remote
* system as it appears to the server.
* Example client side usage:
* wget http://www.networksecuritytoolkit.org/nst/tools/ip.php -O -
*/

// Echo back IP address as a "plain text" document

header('Content-type: text/plain');

// Check to see if server has been forwarded the request
if (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_REMOTE_ADDR'])) {
printf("%s\n", $_SERVER['HTTP_X_REMOTE_ADDR']);
} else {
printf("%s\n", $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);
}
?>

This will return the ip as a plain text string.

You can then point iStat at this new script to obtain the IP address. This is the route I'm going.

For those without a web server, you might even be able to get free hosting somewhere to place this file. The hosting does need to run PHP for this script to work.

-Kevin

hartsook
Oct 15, 2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks, iStatPro now returning my external ip address.

The hardest part was finding the widget file.

Finally used "Go to folder" in the Finder:Go menu and used ~/Library/Widgets to locate iStat, then opened the package to find the scripts/core/js file.

Badagri
Oct 15, 2012, 08:35 PM
Here was me thinking it was a preference file screw up or the last OS update. Awesome people you lot are!

unrealnighthawk
Oct 16, 2012, 11:48 PM
Awesome! Thanks a lot for the pointer f00f and the script kbmb! I'm now seeing my external IP perfectly. I don't seem to see any in/out data. Should that be tweaked somewhere else?

mag01
Oct 18, 2012, 04:54 AM

function getExtIP(){
ipURL = 'http://whatsmyip.islayer.com/?random='+new Date().getTime();
if(ipConnection.readyState == 4 && ipConnection.responseText != null && ipConnection.responseText.length > 0) {
if(extIP.length < 20 && ipConnection.status == 200 && extIP.match(/\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}/)){
valid_ip = true;
} else {
valid_ip = false;
}
}
}
ipConnection.send(null);
}

Good luck ;)

iStat Menus use h..p://ip.bjango.com (replaced 'tt' with '..' so that it doesn't link directly from here) for that purpose, you may try the same URL in iStat Pro.

pti'Luc
Oct 18, 2012, 04:54 AM
Hi all,

as Bjango still offers this for iStat Menus why not simple replace that with their URL?

As f00f statet correct the h..p://whatsmyip.islayer.com is not correct anymore it can be replaced by h..p://ip.bjango.com.

This will be then the working solution:

function getExtIP(){
ipURL = 'http://ip.bjango.com';
valid_ip = true;
} else {
valid_ip = false;
}
}
}
ipConnection.send(null);
}

mag01
Oct 18, 2012, 05:11 AM
pti'Luc: right, and as it responds properly even to plain GET request (without any query string) you may omit the /?random ... new Date().getTime() stuff and save few CPU cycles on this. :)

zepman
Oct 18, 2012, 05:34 AM
pti'Luc: right, and as it responds properly even to plain GET request (without any query string) you may omit the /?random ... new Date().getTime() stuff and save few CPU cycles on this. :)

That worked great! Thanks.
For the nano, the code is located in a different file, Workers.js. It worked great for the nano too.

f00f
Oct 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
iStat Menus use h..p://ip.bjango.com (replaced 'tt' with '..' so that it doesn't link directly from here) for that purpose, you may try the same URL in iStat Pro.

Hey that's fantastic. Thanks for that!

pti'Luc
Oct 18, 2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the hints, have updated my post above!

Works fine here!

Badagri
Oct 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
This is odd, I have pti'Luc's fix in iStat Pro working but iStat nano still shows fetching with the same code applied to workers.js.

laserjay
Oct 30, 2012, 03:50 PM
for all the magic mouse users: I changed the battery_btmouse.png from mighty to magic, just replace it.

Badagri
Nov 3, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hi all,

as Bjango still offers this for iStat Menus why not simple replace that with their URL?

As f00f statet correct the h..p://whatsmyip.islayer.com is not correct anymore it can be replaced by h..p://ip.bjango.com.

This will be then the working solution:

function getExtIP(){
ipURL = 'http://ip.bjango.com';
valid_ip = true;
} else {
valid_ip = false;
}
}
}
ipConnection.send(null);
}

Can anyone advise on the solution to my problem with iStat Nano. I'm unable to get the code to work. After saving the workers.js and reloading the widget, the external IP still comes up with fetching...

But the same code above for iStat Pro works perfectly. I'm really puzzled why the code wont work for iStat Nano. I've double and triple checked nothing was wrong with the code or space between sections.

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 3, 2012, 09:55 AM

This is terrible. I have both iStat Pro and iStat Menus... it even updated something like a month ago. Not having the Menus app is going to be quite terrible. Any reason why?

torana355
Nov 3, 2012, 10:14 AM
This is terrible. I have both iStat Pro and iStat Menus... it even updated something like a month ago. Not having the Menus app is going to be quite terrible. Any reason why?

It still exists... http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

GGJstudios
Nov 3, 2012, 10:18 AM
They're not gone. You can still get both. iStat Pro (http://istat-pro.en.softonic.com/mac/download) (free) or iStat Menus (http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/) ($16)

This post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16068905&postcount=10) includes fixes for the iStat Pro widget, for displaying the external IP address and for displaying process information in ML.

ryedarrow
Nov 3, 2012, 04:03 PM
Love all the help from the thread on how to fix iStat pro, but I'm looking for a real replacement. I'm done with iSlayer/bjango.

Any ideas on other apps to replace iStat?

torana355
Nov 3, 2012, 07:32 PM
Love all the help from the thread on how to fix iStat pro, but I'm looking for a real replacement. I'm done with iSlayer/bjango.

Any ideas on other apps to replace iStat?

Istat is in a league of its own. Why are you done with bjango?

ryedarrow
Nov 3, 2012, 07:58 PM
Istat is in a league of its own. Why are you done with bjango?

A reasonable question. I LOVED iStat Pro, and have been using it since 2007.

1) The developers have stated that they will no longer support it. There are fixes for now, but I'd rather have a permanent solution going forward (the next 5 years). Small hacks are understandable for intermittent OS X updates, but again they are DONE supporting iStat.

2) I have tried both iStat Menus and MiStat, and feel neither is a viable substitute. Hence I am done with bjango. (for the record it isn't the cost, i'd happily pay the same money for a supported version of iStat Pro).

3) I have a hard time sticking with a company with poor transparency. What happened to iSlayer.com? All the sudden it disappears with no words from the developers? Why doesn't it redirect to bjango? Why doesn't bjango have some kind of reference to it?

Sure this is extreme for some people tastes, but its the same reason I'm done with Netflix. Change is fine, but you need to get in front of it, own up to it, and be transparent.

torana355
Nov 3, 2012, 08:01 PM
A reasonable question. I LOVED iStat Pro, and have been using it since 2007.

1) The developers have stated that they will no longer support it. There are fixes for now, but I'd rather have a permanent solution going forward (the next 5 years). Small hacks are understandable for intermittent OS X updates, but again they are DONE supporting iStat.

2) I have tried both iStat Menus and MiStat, and feel neither is a viable substitute. Hence I am done with bjango. (for the record it isn't the cost, i'd happily pay the same money for a supported version of iStat Pro).

3) I have a hard time sticking with a company with poor transparency. What happened to iSlayer.com? All the sudden it disappears with no words from the developers? Why doesn't it redirect to bjango? Why doesn't bjango have some kind of reference to it?

Sure this is extreme for some people tastes, but its the same reason I'm done with Netflix. Change is fine, but you need to get in front of it, own up to it, and be transparent.

Fair enough. I use istat Menus myself and there is no other app that even comes close so i have no choice really.

ryedarrow
Nov 3, 2012, 08:07 PM
Fair enough. I use istat Menus myself and there is no other app that even comes close so i have no choice really.

hahaha and I'm using a modified version of iStat Pro because just like you "I have no choice". And that drives me CRAZY. I'm not trying to stage a boycott or anything, just wondering if anyone has found a better solution.

The thing is basically plugging into activity monitor, is there really no other solution out there? (I've spent the afternoon trying and have come up empty)

So back to the origional thread title:

iStat Pro Replacement????
Is there one? Or who wants to build one with me? I'll fund it if you know how to build it. The App Store is lacking in selection...

kbk75
Nov 4, 2012, 03:35 AM
Awesome! Thanks a lot for the pointer f00f and the script kbmb! I'm now seeing my external IP perfectly. I don't seem to see any in/out data. Should that be tweaked somewhere else?

I have the same issue. Any ideas on how to get the in / out data to display along with the graph?

ryedarrow
Nov 4, 2012, 03:38 AM
I have the same issue. Any ideas on how to get the in / out data to display along with the graph?

Same goes for me...

Let's make a new one!!??

kbk75
Nov 4, 2012, 03:46 AM
Same goes for me...

Let's make a new one!!??

I would if I could, mate!

AllenH
Nov 5, 2012, 01:44 AM
It seems my network in and outs aren't working. The fix for external IP worked fantastically! Thank you! And so did the PS fix as well. [Can anyone confirm the grep -e replacement? I didn't try that one yet.]

So- only thing left is the darned network in bytes and out bytes graph. Did I mess something up here? (is everyone's working?)

jasimon9
Nov 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
I originally tried to put the small php file on one of my servers. It worked, except that normally we access our own websites over a VPN, so it returned the VPN address.

So to get it to work with my own server, I had to substitute the IP address of our server instead of the DNS name, because that way it does not go over the VPN, and the actual external address is used.

darkiller
Nov 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
woots, thanks to everyone here for all the tips! yeah for me its not that istat menus can't do the stuff istat pro can, its just that my menu bar is WAY too cluttered with a million things already, i prefer it on my dashboard.

here's the widget with all the tweaks and updates suggested in this thread. i only got iStat pro though

Oblivion426
Nov 14, 2012, 08:15 PM
woots, thanks to everyone here for all the tips! yeah for me its not that istat menus can't do the stuff istat pro can, its just that my menu bar is WAY too cluttered with a million things already, i prefer it on my dashboard.

here's the widget with all the tweaks and updates suggested in this thread. i only got iStat pro though

Thank you for posting this.

ipsg
Nov 23, 2012, 01:33 AM
With the Processes and IP address fix :D

Donfor39
Nov 23, 2012, 02:48 PM

Cheers Stephen

Badagri
Nov 24, 2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks, ipsg! for the nano widget. It's so strange that my version for the external IP didn't work even with the listed fixes in this very thread.

RickT1
Nov 27, 2012, 09:01 PM

I joined the forum tonite just to say THANKS! Still on Lion 10.7.5, really missed the Ext IP info, the change from islayer to bjango web site fixed it.

SantaRosa2.2
Nov 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
iStat Menus is ML compatible :)

I use iStat menus since I disabled my dashboard. They work great on Mountain lion

Bazonga
Nov 29, 2012, 04:26 AM
Thanks for these awesome fixes !! - iStatPro runs just fine now under ML !

btw. instead of Buduls processes-fix I used Mr. Zorg's replacing egrep "PID|$1" with grep -e "PID" -e "$1".

twomorewishes, though unresolvable i guess:
BatteryStatus for MagicMouse (works with MightyMouse only)
BatteryStatus for Magic TrackPad

BSoares
Dec 21, 2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks for making this available guys. The download from Apple's page isn't working anymore and I wanted this again on my 2012 iMac so you helped me a lot with that ZIP attached.

iamJay
Dec 22, 2012, 10:44 AM
My new Apple wireless keyboard does not show up in iStat Pro. :confused:
But it work fine with my Magic Mouse, Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance. :)

howthegodschill
Dec 25, 2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the iStat Nano DL!
I just set it on processes and put it right next to iStat Menus on my dash.

ajanini
Dec 30, 2012, 06:26 PM

Thanks darkiller!

lukecro
Jan 12, 2013, 03:47 AM

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

Genius, thanks! This has been bothering me for months - I finally started Googling around today to see if an iStat Pro widget update would be coming soon or not, saw this thread and was disappointed to learn that the developers had abandoned their widget . . . . And then saw this very simple fix. Two seconds in Text Edit with the wide.js file and iStat is working like a charm again. Since the fix is this simple, it's silly the developers don't update the code themselves and release an update. If nothing else, iStat Pro is a good promotional vehicle for their paid apps. Thank goodness for Buduls and MacRumors delivering the answers.

ToddJ
Jan 21, 2013, 09:01 AM
Thank you for updating it!!!

Dimwhit
Feb 7, 2013, 06:56 PM
Awesome! Thank you to those who got this working again!

bepeacock
Feb 10, 2013, 07:42 PM
Created an account just to say "thank you" for the processes and IP fixes.

Like another poster, I too do not see the network in and out traffic. Curious if anyone has tackled that issue?

lxc
Feb 19, 2013, 08:52 AM
I changed the code in the wide.js, tall.js (for the processes) an the core.js (for the external ip).

Now I keep getting this entry in the system.log everytime I call the dashboard:
WindowServer[103]: _CGXSetWindowHasKeyAppearance: Operation on a window 0x559 requiring rights kCGSWindowRightOwner by caller Dashboard

This happens until I "uninstall" the iStat Pro-Widget.

Does anybody know the correct permissions for these files? Mine are (after the changes):
ls -la
-rw-r--r--@ 1 myusername staff 20712 19 Feb 14:53 Tall.js
-rw-r--r--@ 1 myusername staff 22782 19 Feb 14:51 Wide.js

Since the permission and the ownership does not differ from the other files, I don't know what to do.

Thanks for any hint,
lxc

kbmb
Feb 19, 2013, 08:55 AM
I changed the code in the wide.js, tall.js (for the processes) an the core.js (for the external ip).

Now I keep getting this entry in the system.log everytime I call the dashboard:
WindowServer[103]: _CGXSetWindowHasKeyAppearance: Operation on a window 0x559 requiring rights kCGSWindowRightOwner by caller Dashboard

This happens until I "uninstall" the iStat Pro-Widget.

Does anybody know the correct permissions for these files? Mine are (after the changes):
ls -la
-rw-r--r--@ 1 myusername staff 20712 19 Feb 14:53 Tall.js
-rw-r--r--@ 1 myusername staff 22782 19 Feb 14:51 Wide.js

Since the permission and the ownership does not differ from the other files, I don't know what to do.

Thanks for any hint,
lxc

No ideas here....but my modified files are the same permissions as yours and I don't get that message:

-rw-r--r--@ 1 myusername staff 20712 Jul 28 2012 Tall.js
-rw-r--r--@ 1 myusername staff 22782 Jul 26 2012 Wide.js

-Kevin

Cayennr
Feb 20, 2013, 12:36 AM

Thanks, pal!

Norskman
Feb 25, 2013, 12:14 PM

Steps:

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

This worked perfectly for iStat Nano as well. For those using the Nano widget all you need to do is update the same value but in workers.js.

Thank you!

Hungry&Foolish
Feb 25, 2013, 09:59 PM

Thanks to you and everyone who made this useful widget working.

Zillion
Feb 28, 2013, 09:08 AM

Hey thx for the widget, I installed it in Mountain Lion but where can I find it?? I tried to reinstall it but it says the widget is allready installed. Now I hardly use launchpad but its not there it seems.

Badagri
Feb 28, 2013, 10:17 AM
It's in the Dashboard list and the file is stored under your Home Library/Widgets.

Dashboard button/F4 then + button

Go>Go to Folder> ~/Library/Widgets

Zillion
Feb 28, 2013, 11:07 AM
It's in the Dashboard list and the file is stored under your Home Library/Widgets.

Dashboard button/F4 then + button

Go>Go to Folder> ~/Library/Widgets

Aah ok I see it under F3 Dashboard thx

wiz7dome
Mar 3, 2013, 08:00 PM
it's easy to fix istat pro processes for mountain lion

steps:

1. Locate your widget, it will be under /library/widgets or ~/library/widgets
2. Right click it and select: "show package contents"
3. Open wide.js or tall.js file in some editor (wide is for horizontal view, tall for vertical)

4. Locate the line

change "pid|$1" to "pid| $1" (add space before $ sign)

5. Save the changes

6. Remove widget and re-add it dashboard, and it should be fixed

you rock!!!

saldin
Mar 26, 2013, 09:03 PM
Thank you very much to everyone who contributed!

I'm using 10.8.3 and made all the changes posted in this thread but I'm still having a few issues and I hope you can help me out: wifi traffic is not logged and it just shows "in: 0KB/s | out: 0KB/s". Also, the used and free disk space stats are using 1024 bytes per KB like on Leopard. And last, the battery state is always "Charged" (no 'discharging' nor 'charging'). But I'm more concerned about the traffic stat...

Thanks in advance!

qap
Mar 26, 2013, 09:42 PM
+1, ehm... + 1 :D with the space is better :D thank you a lot for this tip!

hexeric
Mar 31, 2013, 12:15 PM
any idea how to get the HDD temperature to show with a similar trick? thanks for restoring my faith in this little tool - thought i had to live with it not showing processes.

Toby Ziegler
May 10, 2013, 10:53 PM
Has anyone cracked the in/out on the network monitoring bit yet? My elementary coding skills aren't cutting it on this one...

Siderz
May 15, 2013, 11:17 AM

That's really cool! I knew there'd be a simple fix like that.

Don't suppose there's a way to make the CPU temperature show up on the 2012 iMac?

Edit: Ah, just noticed there are a lot more replies in this thread. Don't suppose anyone's managed to fix the CPU temp?

wiz7dome
May 16, 2013, 06:16 PM
On the off chance the (former) developers of iStat pro are reading this thread, it'd be really cool if they went the way of CandyBar. That is, its unsupported but given to the mac community in a way.

hate to see such a good app/widget just fade away.

ghsNick
May 17, 2013, 05:45 PM
Is it me or does anyone else's iStat Widget work just fine without any of these tweaks on ML?

GGJstudios
May 17, 2013, 05:47 PM
Is it me or does anyone else's iStat Widget work just fine without any of these tweaks on ML?

It depends on where you got your widget. There are some copies floating around that have the tweaks already embedded.

Siderz
May 17, 2013, 05:52 PM

It isn't a problem on my 2011 11" MBA, it has everything I want, but on my 2012 21.5" iMac, I can't see the CPU temperature.

----------

It depends on where you got your widget. There are some copies floating around that have the tweaks already embedded.

Don't suppose there's one with the 2012 iMac CPU temp?

Could someone list all the tweaks that we know of?

GGJstudios
May 17, 2013, 06:38 PM
Don't suppose there's one with the 2012 iMac CPU temp?

Could someone list all the tweaks that we know of?

See post #134 in this thread. All the tweaks are described in this thread. I'm not sure if your particular issue is covered by those tweaks.

ghsNick
May 17, 2013, 07:34 PM

I got it from their site...I mean...would it look fully functional like this if it wasn't working?

GGJstudios
May 17, 2013, 07:48 PM
I got it from their site...I mean...would it look fully functional like this if it wasn't working?

Yours is not showing processes and in the tall format there was a problem with duplicate drives being shown.

Badagri
May 18, 2013, 05:36 AM
Yours is not showing processes and in the tall format there was a problem with duplicate drives being shown.

Look at the users external IP, stuck on updating.

uberfu
May 20, 2013, 09:19 AM
Another vote for iStat Menus. It works great and it looks really nice too!

iStat Menus 3 woop woop.
Sorry but iStat Menus fails.

You have to pull down a bunch of drop downs to glance at the information.

iStat Pro - I can press a single key - Dashboard launches - and I can see all the information I need at a glance without having to click multiple menu items or do a balancing act by hovering my mouse over something.

btbrossard
May 20, 2013, 11:13 PM
Sorry but iStat Menus fails.
I hardly ever use dashboard, so for me Menus works better - for me.

Most of the time, all I need is the information displayed in the Menu bar. I mostly use iStat to monitor network traffic and cpu usage, and the small graphs displayed in the menu are enough information for me.

This would, of course, just be my opinion. Sorry if I offended you.

Siderz
May 22, 2013, 11:42 AM
I hardly ever use dashboard, so for me Menus works better - for me.

Most of the time, all I need is the information displayed in the Menu bar. I mostly use iStat to monitor network traffic and cpu usage, and the small graphs displayed in the menu are enough information for me.

This would, of course, just be my opinion. Sorry if I offended you.

We can all have our opinions, so I'm just gonna pitch in.

Personally I like to keep the icons in the menubar low and not have ones that constantly refresh. Having more icons makes it more cluttered and wastes space, on top of this, on screens with lower resolutions like the MacBooks, even adding just a few icons causes a big loss of space.

Same thing applies to the dock; I've never understood those people who insist on cramming every single icon they can in their dock, and not in any particular order either. How did they even find the time to make their dock chock full of ****?

dastinger
May 26, 2013, 09:07 AM
We can all have our opinions, so I'm just gonna pitch in.

Personally I like to keep the icons in the menubar low and not have ones that constantly refresh. Having more icons makes it more cluttered and wastes space, on top of this, on screens with lower resolutions like the MacBooks, even adding just a few icons causes a big loss of space.

Same thing applies to the dock; I've never understood those people who insist on cramming every single icon they can in their dock, and not in any particular order either. How did they even find the time to make their dock chock full of ****?
For the menu bar, you may always use bartender.

For the dock.. I feel you. I try to keep my dock as tidy as possible only having the apps I use the most in there. Then I have the Apps folder so I can open up apps I don't use that often. I don't understand people who just throw it all in there.

Badagri
May 26, 2013, 05:48 PM
I don't understand people who just throw it all in there.

It's quite simple really. It's called unorganised people.

Silvereel
May 26, 2013, 06:56 PM
I have no problem supporting the developers - I'd gladly pay for the widget - but I prefer iStat Pro over iStat Menus simply because it is in Dashboard. That means that I can use it even when I'm in a full screen app, like a game. I use it to keep tabs on temperature and such, and it works great. I'd love to see the developers release it for community use as well, I have a feeling that it would find enough clever people to keep it going.

sick z33
Jul 11, 2013, 06:10 AM
Would anyone be able to load the iStat Pro version with all the fixes and the Apple Trackpad / Keyboard battery monitor? I downloaded one from page 6 of this thread and it doesn't work :(

gwang73
Jul 11, 2013, 11:35 PM
Would anyone be able to load the iStat Pro version with all the fixes and the Apple Trackpad / Keyboard battery monitor? I downloaded one from page 6 of this thread and it doesn't work :(

This works on my machine, 2012 rMBP.

sick z33
Jul 12, 2013, 12:27 PM

Thanks! I installed it and it does have the fixes for processes and IP address, but still cannot see battery life for keyboard and track pad :( Checked settings and didn't find anything.

gwang73
Jul 12, 2013, 07:04 PM
I only have the Magic Mouse and that battery indicator works in istat pro. Can't confirm the trackpad or keyboard.

I know it's not ideal, but this is a small widget to monitor apple bluetooth devices.

kbmb
Sep 12, 2013, 04:59 PM
I know, I know.....hanging onto iStat Pro for every last breath it has.:p Guessing by the time Mavericks rolls around it won't work anymore.

Anyway....just updated to 10.8.5 tonight and notice I get these errors in Console when starting iStat Pro (when loading the Dashboard for the first time)

Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TC0H kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TC0D kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TC1D kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TG0P kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TH0P kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TO0P kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR Th0H kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000

After a search it seems some like this happened back in the 10.7.4 days, although this not nearly as bad since the errors seem only occur for a short while when dashboard is loaded and iStat is first run.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57432796-263/tackling-smc-console-errors-after-os-x-10.7.4-update/

Can't say I see anything wrong with machine or iStat. Anyone have any ideas?

-Kevin

Fofer
Sep 12, 2013, 05:13 PM
Hmm. Interesting. I'll be installing 10.8.5 and will see soon. I use iStat Nano and not Pro, though.

Still - if it's just those few errors I think I'd be fine just ignoring them. Console reports plenty of things I never know/care about. So long as it works!

And if it causes an issue and no one offers a fix here, heck, that'll be time for me to retire iStat for good.

kbmb
Sep 12, 2013, 05:28 PM
Hmm. Interesting. I'll be installing 10.8.5 and will see soon. I use iStat Nano and not Pro, though.

Still - if it's just those few errors I think I'd be fine just ignoring them. Console reports plenty of things I never know/care about. So long as it works!

And if it causes an issue and no one offers a fix here, heck, that'll be time for me to retire iStat for good.

Agreed. Like I said....so far, no issues. Just the one set of errors when dashboard starts (only noticed it while looking for something else).

Those are SMC related errors and based on the articles and the fact that they only show up when my dashboard is loaded.....it has to be related to iStat Pro.

Just posting here to share in case anyone else has issues.

-Kevin

fatlardo
Sep 13, 2013, 03:27 PM
Can we set fan curves for Istat pro?

cammykool
Sep 17, 2013, 02:34 PM
the zip above fixed everything in mavericks too!

Spazturtle
Sep 17, 2013, 10:36 PM
iStats pro seams to be causing issues on my macbook pro 15 2011, 1.8.5 and all versions of 10.9 DP

The screen locks up and the mouse and keyboard become unresponsive.

After a while (several minuets) the screen, mouse and keyboard will become responsive again.

All apps will have closed.

The log between the time it freezes and unlocks is full of those SMC::smcReadKeyAction errors.

Fofer
Sep 18, 2013, 12:53 AM
the zip above fixed everything in mavericks too!

...including the Console errors kbmb posted about, just above?

Which zip in particular are you talking about?

cammykool
Sep 18, 2013, 12:54 AM
...including the Console errors kbmb posted about, just above?

Which zip in particular are you talking about?

Gwang73

Fofer
Sep 18, 2013, 12:56 AM
For what it's worth I am using the (fixed) iStat Nano widget and it appears to work fine in Mountain Lion.

I will test it with Mavericks when that comes out, fingers crossed it keeps working.

----------

Gwang73

Great, thanks. And you're saying that in Mavericks you are *not* getting the Console errors kbmb posted about, just above?

cammykool
Sep 18, 2013, 12:57 AM
Nope.

Fofer
Sep 18, 2013, 01:03 AM
Nope.

LOL :p

"Nope" you're not saying that?

...or "nope" you're not getting the Console errors?

(Or "nope" you honestly haven't checked. :D )

cammykool
Sep 18, 2013, 01:04 AM
Well my computer doesn't lock up like his.

----------

I have an early 2011 13' MBP base model

Fofer
Sep 18, 2013, 01:07 AM
Well my computer doesn't lock up like his.[COLOR="#808080"]

You're talking about Spazturtle, it seems. I am talking about kbmb. His post is below.

No worries, it doesn't really matter, I suppose.
So long as it works and doesn't cause any perceptible problems I guess we can just stay content with poor old iStat Pro and Nano.

I know, I know.....hanging onto iStat Pro for every last breath it has.:p Guessing by the time Mavericks rolls around it won't work anymore.

Anyway....just updated to 10.8.5 tonight and notice I get these errors in Console when starting iStat Pro (when loading the Dashboard for the first time)

Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TC0H kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TC0D kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TC1D kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TG0P kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TH0P kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TO0P kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000
Sep 12 17:51:24 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR Th0H kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8023138000

After a search it seems some like this happened back in the 10.7.4 days, although this not nearly as bad since the errors seem only occur for a short while when dashboard is loaded and iStat is first run.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57432796-263/tackling-smc-console-errors-after-os-x-10.7.4-update/

kbmb
Oct 22, 2013, 08:56 PM

.verticalbarbg {
}

.verticalbar {
}

----------------------

-Kevin

Just an update for 10.9.....seems that my changes above to fix the double bars is broken again in 10.9. To fix this follow the same instructions, just remove the changes....or comment them with /* */

-Kevin

dtjay7
Oct 26, 2013, 05:56 PM

Thank you very much!!! I was just about to give up.

kmpoboy2
Oct 27, 2013, 06:52 PM
Wanted to point out that the widget posted here with the fixes, lacked the fix for process in tall mode.

I added the process fix in tall mode in this one.

Fofer
Oct 27, 2013, 08:34 PM
Just to pass along the news:

iStat Menus gets updated with Mavericks fixes, new Mac support, more (http://www.imore.com/istat-menus-gets-updated-mavericks-fixes-new-mac-support-more)

(although I don't believe Bjango includes the Dashboard Widgets any more... at least, I don't see any mention of them any more on the product page.)

GGJstudios
Oct 27, 2013, 09:18 PM
Just to pass along the news:

iStat Menus gets updated with Mavericks fixes, new Mac support, more (http://www.imore.com/istat-menus-gets-updated-mavericks-fixes-new-mac-support-more)

(although I don't believe Bjango includes the Dashboard Widgets any more... at least, I don't see any mention of them any more on the product page.)
Bjango stopped development of the free iStat Pro widget quite some time ago, opting to only update the iStat Menus app, which isn't free.

http://bjango.com/help/istatmenus/history/

Fofer
Oct 27, 2013, 09:40 PM
Understood - but given the title of this thread, I still thought it was worthwhile to share the news. I'm a paid/registered customer.

pti'Luc
Oct 29, 2013, 09:13 AM
Just an update for 10.9.....seems that my changes above to fix the double bars is broken again in 10.9. To fix this follow the same instructions, just remove the changes....or comment them with /* */

-Kevin

It's not broken again, the bug is fixed! ;-) You can also replace the "-4" with a "0" and keep the lines for future bug/features! ;-)

oswjim
Oct 31, 2013, 05:15 AM
Hi

I noticed that memory count is broken since the new "compressed" feature in mavericks ... my imac has 6GB physical RAM, and istat is showing just 5GB .. the 1GB used for compressed memory is gone --

Rgds

ressac
Nov 1, 2013, 04:43 AM

this work on my mbp 13" late, finally network usage IN/OUT is working!!!
THANKS!

pti'Luc
Dec 2, 2013, 10:01 AM
the 1GB used for compressed memory is gone
Really? Compared to the Activity Monitor?

This is my output with 8 GB memory:
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=449932&stc=1&d=1386000030

Btw. anyone a good idea how to add IPv6 to the network part?