PDA

View Full Version : 20th Century Fox Movies Now Included in iTunes in the Cloud

MacRumors
Jul 20, 2012, 08:42 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/20/20th-century-fox-movies-now-included-in-itunes-in-the-cloud/)

Alongside yesterday's massive international expansion (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/apple-expands-itunes-movies-in-the-cloud-to-uk-canada-australia-and-new-zealand/) of iTunes in the Cloud for movies, U.S. users also received some new content as 20th Century Fox films are now available through the service.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/titan_ae_cloud.jpg

Current (left) and prior (right) iTunes listings for 20th Century Fox's Titan A.E.
When iTunes in the Cloud for movies launched back in March (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/apple-introduces-new-apple-tv-set-top-box-with-1080p-video-and-updated-interface/), Universal and Fox were not included due to agreements the studios had in place with premium TV channel HBO, with sources indicating within days that negotiations were underway (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/12/hbo-confirms-negotiations-to-allow-fox-and-universal-to-participate-in-icloud-for-movies/) to lift those restrictions.

Universal's films began appearing in iTunes in the Cloud in early April (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/07/universal-studios-movies-now-available-on-icloud/), but it has taken until now for 20th Century Fox's offerings to also be included.

Article Link: 20th Century Fox Movies Now Included in iTunes in the Cloud (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/20/20th-century-fox-movies-now-included-in-itunes-in-the-cloud/)

AustinIllini
Jul 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
This just seems like a no brainer to me.

M-O
Jul 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
maybe i should start buying movies in iTunes. they are really making it compelling.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jul 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
woohoo!

basesloaded190
Jul 20, 2012, 08:47 AM
Next step: iTunes match with Movies.

(I can dream can't I?)

kepardue
Jul 20, 2012, 08:49 AM
So 20th Century Fox movies are now iCloud enabled, eh? Wonder if Lucas will be any more compelled to put the Star Wars movies in there.

TallGuyGT
Does Fox sell any HD movies? All the ones I want from them are SD. Holding off on Fox purchases until they go HD ...

newagemac
"When purchased, this movie will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud."

I like the way Apple strong armed those old out of touch people at Fox by explicitly stating right below the buy/rent buttons that their movies won't be available in the cloud.

I'm sure that hurt their sales and any other studio that won't give customers what they want and increased the sales of those who actually pay attention to the customer's wants and needs. Exactly how it should be.

kepardue
Jul 20, 2012, 08:56 AM
Does Fox sell any HD movies? All the ones I want from them are SD. Holding off on Fox purchases until they go HD ...

I'm not really interested in a whole lot, but the one 20th Fox movie I was interested in, Avatar, is available at 1080p with iTunes Extras. So it seems there are at least some.

Mad-B-One
Jul 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
Good news! Still, the prices are way too high. About $10 for a movie? That is $2 more than one month of Netflix.

RaggieSoft
Jul 20, 2012, 09:02 AM
I am looking forward to being able to upgrade my SD movies to HD + iTunes Extras

Oh, and I see I was beaten to iTunes Match for Movies.

Ah but I can dream.

kepardue
Jul 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
I skipped the Bluray thing for digital downloads, and I'd buy more from iTunes if they had consistency in their offerings. I know it's a contract thing but I wish the studios would just hash it out with them. It makes no sense to offer some movies that have been out on Bluray for years at only SD quality, or allow only HD rentals of some titles.

As a classic Trek fan, it drives me nuts that they have the director's cut of only Star Trek II and VI. They have the director's cut of Star Trek I, but only available for rent at HD quality. The rest of the movies are the standard theatrical release. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for the movies knowing that at some time they might be replaced with a better version.

basesloaded190
Jul 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
Good news! Still, the prices are way too high. About $10 for a movie? That is $2 more than one month of Netflix.

You are comparing two completely different services

bommai
Jul 20, 2012, 09:09 AM
I can still get Blurays cheaper than iTunes. So, the only benefit is the convenience. For example, I just bought several movies in Bluray from Best Buy for $10 each. And to make it sweeter, Best Buy is running their DVD trade in program where I can take any old DVDs to them and they give me $5 off each bluray I buy. So, in effect, I bought 11 Blurays this month for $5 each ($10 - $5).

Some of these Blurays came with Blurays, DVD and Digital Copy! Sweet.

kepardue
Jul 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
I can still get Blurays cheaper than iTunes. So, the only benefit is the convenience. For example, I just bought several movies in Bluray from Best Buy for $10 each. And to make it sweeter, Best Buy is running their DVD trade in program where I can take any old DVDs to them and they give me $5 off each bluray I buy. So, in effect, I bought 11 Blurays this month for $5 each ($10 - $5).

Some of these Blurays came with Blurays, DVD and Digital Copy! Sweet.

Yeah, buying it digital with fewer extras should *never* cost more than the physical copy. That's insane.

pgiguere1
Jul 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure I understand this whole iTunes in the Cloud thing.

What exactly is technically/legally different than before?

From what I understand, it just allows you to re-download the digital content you previously bought if you lose the files or don't want to manually sync them between your different devices.

Basically, it's just Apple being more generous with their bandwidth, but why does it deserve the "Cloud" buzzword and is treated like it's new feature?

If it allowed streaming and storage for personal files (like iTunes match) I could understand, but as it is they just let you re-download the content you already paid for, like many digital stores have allowed in the past without sticking the "Cloud" name next to it.

Please tell me if there's something I'm missing here.

donrsd
Jul 20, 2012, 09:14 AM
i get all the digital copies i can.

som are in HD, some arent.

one day itunes match for movies will be out.
then the few SD titles i have will be a 'free upgrade'.

its like the UV service.....i buy those digital copy codes in the event that one day - apple tv will have that service on it.

newagemac
Jul 20, 2012, 09:15 AM

Netflix doesn't offer new releases or nearly the selection of movies (especially the good blockbuster movies) as iTunes so you're comparing apples to oranges. Especially after Stars and others removed their stuff. But Netflix and iTunes together make a great combination for cable cutters like myself.

JHankwitz
Jul 20, 2012, 09:17 AM

You're comparing two different things. The $10 is a purchase, Netflix is just viewing.

Mad-B-One
Jul 20, 2012, 09:19 AM
You are comparing two completely different services

I know. I compare one movie I can watch as often as I want for $9.99 to a service where I can watch - realistically speaking - hundrets for the same price. I know I don't have the same right on the movie if I watch it on Netflix since I didn't purchase it. But, hey, how often will one watch it? My DVD collection is collecting dust and in most cases, that is how it is. I understand that you can rent it for less, but then, the service is not much different from Netflix anymore. Comparing Bang for the Buck, $9.99 is too high for a single piece of media. I think $4.99 for a new one and $3.99 for an older movie is fair. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

kepardue
Jul 20, 2012, 09:21 AM
I don't see the studios allowing an iTunes Match for Movies for a loooooong time. First off, they wouldn't see enough profit from allowing people to put their previous purchases on all their other devices. Even if Apple charged 2x the cost of iTunes Match for music for it that's still just a hair more than two HD movie purchases to make up the difference. They're going to focus on getting people to re-buy what they've already bought. Furthermore, there would need to be some kind of a standard digital marker placed in all DVD rentals, which seems like it'd be a massive effort, that iTunes would have to be trained to reject, or else people could just grab DVD from Netflix and add it to his/her account.

As the movie studios focus on preserving their dying business models, I just don't see them getting on board with that.

newagemac

From what I understand, it just allows you to re-download the digital content you previously bought if you lose the files or don't want to manually sync them between your different devices.

Basically, it's just Apple being more generous with their bandwidth, but why does it deserve the "Cloud" buzzword and is treated like it's new feature?

If it allowed streaming and storage for personal files (like iTunes match) I could understand, but as it is they just let you re-download the content you already paid for, like many digital stores have allowed in the past without sticking the "Cloud" name next to it.

On the Apple TV, iTunes in the Cloud for movies does not require you to download and store anything locally. If you purchase a movie, you can just stream it from iTunes in the Cloud any time you want. It works similar to how iTunes Match for music works on the Apple TV. Streams all your stuff and doesn't require you to store the files. I love my Apple TV. :D

goodcow
You're comparing two different things. The $10 is a purchase, Netflix is just viewing.

How many times do you really re-watch the same movie?

Jamie0003

For one thing it allows you to download any of your movies/tv shows to any of your devices for convenience. And if you own an Apple TV 2/3, you can stream and buy those movies directly on it without having to download it to your computer first. They are then stored in your purchased tab on Apple TV, and can be streamed directly from there.

krazzix
That movie is the worst ever,

watched it with a friend years ago in a cinema, we were the only 2 persons there :o

NewAnger
Jul 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
How many times do you really re-watch the same movie?

I have movies purchased in iTunes that I have watched dozens of times. One movie is probably near 100 times.

JHankwitz
Jul 20, 2012, 09:23 AM
I can still get Blurays cheaper than iTunes. So, the only benefit is the convenience.

And convenience is what it's all about. Having bookcases filled with DVDs and Blurays is a real pain in the arsh, and they do you no good on road trips with the kids.

NewAnger
Jul 20, 2012, 09:26 AM
And convenience is what it's all about. Having bookcases filled with DVDs and Blurays is a real pain in the arsh, and they do you no good on road trips with the kids.

True. Last DVD that I bought was in 2006. Since iTunes started offering movies, I only purchase movies through iTunes. Now that they are in HD, that is all I buy. I have purchased so many HD movie for $9.99 over the past few months, don't think BR cost less than that.

pgiguere1
Jul 20, 2012, 09:38 AM
For one thing it allows you to download any of your movies/tv shows to any of your devices for convenience. And if you own an Apple TV 2/3, you can stream and buy those movies directly on it without having to download it to your computer first. They are then stored in your purchased tab on Apple TV, and can be streamed directly from there.

Ok, so is the fact that movie studios need to "approve" and probably get royalties from iTunes in the Cloud because you can stream those movies on an Apple TV?

Because otherwise legally I don't see why allowing you to re-download digital content your already paid for would require movie studios to make money again from you or Apple. I just assumed it was Apple being cheap on bandwidth.

Buckeyestar
Jul 20, 2012, 09:44 AM
Ok, so is the fact that movie studios need to "approve" and probably get royalties from iTunes in the Cloud because you can stream those movies on an Apple TV?

Because otherwise legally I don't see why allowing you to re-download digital content your already paid for would require movie studios to make money again from you or Apple. I just assumed it was Apple being cheap on bandwidth.

No, it was existing deals with HBO that were holding up some movies from being in iCloud. HBO agreed to loosen the restrictions.

weaponEX
Jul 20, 2012, 09:46 AM
I have never bought movies or TV shows from iTunes, but I might start..

How do iTunes compare with DVDs? I assume they have all the same features as the DVD, with features, director's commentaries, subtitles, languages etc?

pgiguere1
Jul 20, 2012, 09:49 AM
No, it was existing deals with HBO that were holding up some movies from being in iCloud. HBO agreed to loosen the restrictions.

But what does "movies being in iCloud" even mean? Is it just that they're available to stream from an Apple TV?

Buckeyestar
Jul 20, 2012, 09:50 AM
I know. I compare one movie I can watch as often as I want for $9.99 to a service where I can watch - realistically speaking - hundrets for the same price. I know I don't have the same right on the movie if I watch it on Netflix since I didn't purchase it. But, hey, how often will one watch it? My DVD collection is collecting dust and in most cases, that is how it is. I understand that you can rent it for less, but then, the service is not much different from Netflix anymore. Comparing Bang for the Buck, $9.99 is too high for a single piece of media. I think $4.99 for a new one and $3.99 for an older movie is fair. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Good luck. I can't seem to find more than ten movies throughout Netflix that I'd want to stream. TV shows fair better, but there are still several that I'd like to have that are not available.

$4.99 for a new movie purchase is dreaming, bordering on unreasonable. You'd never find a deal half that good with physical media, and pay twice that in a theater.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jul 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
How much longer till there is no HD premium pricing? I feel at this point it's kind of ridiculous for a digital download. Movies should be one standard cost ($10) with old or discounted movies available ($5) and the user should be given the option each DL to choose SD, 720, or 1080 depending on what they want/need at the moment. And all movies purchased through iTunes or with digital copy should be able to be watched on any devices through download or streaming.

The ideal vision.

Buckeyestar
Jul 20, 2012, 09:52 AM
But what does "movies being in iCloud" even mean? Is it just that they're available to stream from an Apple TV?

That and redownload to any device that accesses your account. Frankly, the ability to stream to my Apple TV is a killer deal for me. I don't have to store them on a shelf or a hard drive.

kepardue
Jul 20, 2012, 09:58 AM
That and redownload to any device that accesses your account. Frankly, the ability to stream to my Apple TV is a killer deal for me. I don't have to store them on a shelf or a hard drive.

Don't get too cozy with that. Seems like most ISP's are implementing or considering implementing bandwidth caps these days. :(

Mad-B-One
Jul 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
$4.99 for a new movie purchase is dreaming, bordering on unreasonable. You'd never find a deal half that good with physical media, and pay twice that in a theater.

Yea, except that WalMart has $5 movies which were blockbusters and also $7.50 movies which are newer. So, you get them under that price and you also have to see that these movies cost more in production because they are on a DVD (not even mentioning transportation, etc). Also, the $9.99 are not the ones in the movie theater at the same time. First, movies are in the big theaters, then in the 2nd tier smaller theaters and then they come to DVD/Blueray prime market and then they are available for streaming and online purchases. Sure, Netflix does usually not have them as long as they are still primary rentals.

Allenbf
Jul 20, 2012, 10:00 AM

I'm still new to Apple and all of this, but I agree with this. I have over 100 DVDs just sitting on a shelf, they get watched...never. Would be awesome if they could be uploaded to the cloud and store them there. I'm sure it'd cost way too much right now, though.

ateslik
Jul 20, 2012, 10:04 AM

THIS. Big Time. $10 bucks for a digital file is mental, but boy do they have it figured out. Better than printing money.

Flitzy
Jul 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
I am looking forward to being able to upgrade my SD movies to HD + iTunes Extras

Oh, and I see I was beaten to iTunes Match for Movies.

Ah but I can dream.

Both of these so much.

I'd love to be able to upgrade to HD.

But, above all else, I just want Warner Brothers to get their heads out of their you-know-what and actually make Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 available digitally once again.

It irks me that I have every other movie except for that in my iTunes. :(

I have never bought movies or TV shows from iTunes, but I might start..

How do iTunes compare with DVDs? I assume they have all the same features as the DVD, with features, director's commentaries, subtitles, languages etc?

Some of the movies are labelled "iTunes Extras", which have extra content - most of it is detailed on the movie page. For example, Twilight has commentaries but not all the movies do.

I think that nearly all iTunes movies have subtitles now, though - at least the more recent ones.

Buckeyestar
Jul 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
Yea, except that WalMart has $5 movies which were blockbusters and also $7.50 movies which are newer. So, you get them under that price and you also have to see that these movies cost more in production because they are on a DVD (not even mentioning transportation, etc). Also, the $9.99 are not the ones in the movie theater at the same time. First, movies are in the big theaters, then in the 2nd tier smaller theaters and then they come to DVD/Blueray prime market and then they are available for streaming and online purchases. Sure, Netflix does usually not have them as long as they are still primary rentals.

Netflix has ironman 2 and Thor for streaming, but not the first Ironman or Captain America. They have a crap selection, period.

Not sure what youre trying to say about theater prices versus itunes prices. Of course they're not In the theater at the same time as being on iTunes. But you'd pay $10 in the theater to see it once. Expecting it to release for multi view ownership for less than that is unrealistic.

The only movies I've seen for $5 on disc are priced that way because they're either older movies, bad movies, or surplus copies they can't unload any other way.

waldobushman
Jul 20, 2012, 11:00 AM

What you are missing is copyright law. One of the exclusive rights of copyright holders is the right to distribute. As such, they can and do determine if and under what circumstance Apple (or any other entity) can distribute a film. Obviously, for Apple to sell you a movie or stream it to your computer, they have it stored on Apple's servers (for which they have to pay), then there is another contract for streaming, another for purchase and store at home, and another for purchase and store on the server.

Obviously, Apple will not be storing another copy on their server just for you -- it will be a pointer to the existing single copy Apple has. However, there must a contract clause somewhere also, that guarantees that Apple's lone copy will always remain on the server, else the purchaser will not be able to access their "copy".

Of course, Apple really has multiple copies of the film, and has to contract distributed access via multiple servers, and rights to make backups (which is again multiple copies on "external" media lodged off-site.

Anyway you look at it, copyright law restrictions do make it a "new" feature.

wheelie15man
Jul 20, 2012, 11:08 AM
Is this only in the USA and not U.K.
As tv program's show up on my apple tv that I have bought but not movies ?

:confused::confused::confused:

Guomaobaobao
Jul 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
Do not know if I could get used to it.

yeah
Jul 20, 2012, 11:42 AM
Can we re-download rented movies?

donrsd
Jul 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
I don't see the studios allowing an iTunes Match for Movies for a loooooong time. First off, they wouldn't see enough profit from allowing people to put their previous purchases on all their other devices. Even if Apple charged 2x the cost of iTunes Match for music for it that's still just a hair more than two HD movie purchases to make up the difference. They're going to focus on getting people to re-buy what they've already bought. Furthermore, there would need to be some kind of a standard digital marker placed in all DVD rentals, which seems like it'd be a massive effort, that iTunes would have to be trained to reject, or else people could just grab DVD from Netflix and add it to his/her account.

As the movie studios focus on preserving their dying business models, I just don't see them getting on board with that.

even for digital copies, you have to purchase or redeem a code, via itunes, to get access to icloud.
just having a dvd rip wouldnt work.

it would be LIKE the music itunes match, but make it to you have to purchase thru itunes.

thats the point in getting at.
as much as i love the losless audio (audio > video for me), not storing things on a shelf and having my movies at my fingertips is looking more and more enticing.

im in the process of ripping all of my blurays to digital so i can have everything stored on my hard drives.
then again i cant take those movies with me like i can with icloud........hence the love for digital copies.
just bring my apple tv to my parents house and the kds can watch 100 movies on the spot :)

Mad-B-One
Jul 20, 2012, 12:21 PM
Not sure what youre trying to say about theater prices versus itunes prices.

Didn't say anything about that. Must have been someone else.

Of course they're not In the theater at the same time as being on iTunes. But you'd pay $10 in the theater to see it once.

Yea, but that is on the big sceen with other people, maybe a date - can't compare that.

Expecting it to release for multi view ownership for less than that is unrealistic.

The only movies I've seen for $5 on disc are priced that way because they're either older movies, bad movies, or surplus copies they can't unload any other way.

Well, then again, your local WalMart or Hastings might have a worse selection (or you just got beaten by your neighbors being there quick enough) but here, I got pretty good DVDs for $5 and $7.50 and I don't even have to have internet connection to watch them. The point is still that the rights to a movie after a year or so out of the theaters are not that expensive. Otherwise, Netflix couldn't exist. If I would compare what I and my family watch on Netflix a month, we would not be able to find all that on iTunes either: Kipper the Dog, Thomas the Tank Engine - these movies and episodes are running constantly in my living room. None of that is on iTunes. Just searched for it. Allthough, I can find them at Hastings once in a while for the DVD on-the-go in the car. So much for "Crappy selection" or "good selection."

Rideherhard
Jul 20, 2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah I don't see iTunes match for movies coming, wasn't the big selling feature to the music studios was that they'd get some money back from the match series from pirated copies, movies are pirated anywhere near the level music was/is.

Rigby
Jul 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Some of my Fox movies are still not available in the cloud, e.g. "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and "Immortals" (both digital copies from the Blu-ray). Does anybody see these?

kepardue
Jul 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
Some of my Fox movies are still not available in the cloud, e.g. "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and "Immortals" (both digital copies from the Blu-ray). Does anybody see these?

I don't even see Rise of the Planet of the Apes in the store (US Store at least).

mrholder
Jul 20, 2012, 01:08 PM
Was going to drop $10 for The Dark Knight HD, but found it at Sam's Club for $7.98 plus a $5 off coupon for Dark Knight Rises movie ticket. Picked up Batman Begins for the same price and coupon as well. Now just need recommendations for a good blu ray external drive for a Macbook Pro, so I can produce digital copies.

CodeJingle
Jul 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
I own some Family Guy digital download content, like the 3 Family Guy Star Wars movies. Like Blue Harvest, which is 10th Century Fox Film Corporation. I'm not seeing that content in my cloud. Kinda blows. And it looks like some content from Fox is still not in the cloud, for instance only the SD version of "Something Something Something Dark Side" is only available in the cloud, the HD version is still non-cloud.

Rigby
Jul 20, 2012, 03:18 PM
I don't even see Rise of the Planet of the Apes in the store (US Store at least).It has probably entered the "HBO window", which means that no other on-demand service can sell it right now. But it should still be available for streaming and download by those who already own the movie (at least that was the case with all my other digital copies).

"Immortals" is currently available for purchase in the store and it does not say anything about it not being available in the cloud. But it still does not show up in the "Purchased" section for me. :confused:

macs4nw
Jul 20, 2012, 06:59 PM
I have movies purchased in iTunes that I have watched dozens of times. One movie is probably near 100 times.

I don't understand that, but to each his own. If that works for you, more power to you!!

robd003
Jul 21, 2012, 05:11 PM
Just was wondering if previously purchased movies will be upgraded to the "iCloud-enabled" status or not.

NewAnger
Jul 21, 2012, 05:40 PM
Just was wondering if previously purchased movies will be upgraded to the "iCloud-enabled" status or not.

Yes. Movies that I purchased years ago are now in the cloud that weren't before.

StrudelTurnover
Jul 22, 2012, 11:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlHw9I-nS2I
Titan A.E. ftw. :D

donrsd
Aug 4, 2012, 02:27 PM
Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas Special
Puss In Boots
Kung Fu Panda

How come none of these movies show up on my Apple TV (iCloud) when i redeem & download the digital copies?

I'm stumped