PDA

View Full Version : Reservation System Yields Orderly Launch of New iPad in China

MacRumors
Jul 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/20/reservation-system-yields-orderly-launch-of-new-ipad-in-china/)

As noted by The Next Web (http://thenextweb.com/asia/2012/07/20/apples-new-ipad-launches-in-china-with-short-queues-and-no-chaos/), Apple today launched the third-generation iPad in China to small, orderly crowds, avoiding a repeat of the chaotic iPhone 4S launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/12/iphone-4s-launch-delayed-in-beijing-as-swat-teams-respond-to-violence/) back in January that forced Apple to temporarily halt in-store sales (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/13/apple-halts-in-store-iphone-4s-sales-in-china-over-safety-concerns/) of the device in the country.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/sanlitun_ipad_3_launch.jpg

Security staff monitor quiet iPad launch at Apple's Sanlitun retail store in Beijing
The iPad launch appears to have gone much more smoothly in part due to a reservation system the company deployed to help minimize lines and thwart scalpers seeking to soak up available supplies and resell the devices for significant profits. Prospective customers were required to pre-register for their in-store purchases by noon yesterday, with customers receiving designated appointment times today to come pick up their iPads.As of now, today, there is no sign of the scalper contingent, which is typically out in full force for Apple product launches in China - the computer giant's second largest market.

According to staff at the Sanliutin Apple Store, iPad sales will continue to be reservation-only indefinitely. Customers can reserve the new iPad daily from 9am-12pm and will be assigned a pickup time for the following day or later.Crowds at the Sanlitun store were sparse under the new reservation system, with the store opening two hours early at 8:00 AM but with only ten people in line by 8:30.

Article Link: Reservation System Yields Orderly Launch of New iPad in China (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/20/reservation-system-yields-orderly-launch-of-new-ipad-in-china/)

Mad-B-One
Jul 20, 2012, 09:06 AM
I just imagined that system for Black Friday: "No ma'm. You have had to register yesterday to get the 5-for-$1 socks. Besides, your reservation to enter the store is for in two hours. Back of the line please!" :)

abhishake
Jul 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
Or if you had to order food like this..

What if this turns out to be the future for Apple product launches?

joesegh
Jul 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
Now I wonder why Apple doesn't just make this a standard process for all of their product launches. They did it with the iPhone 4 and 4S and it worked well, but the iPad launches were all a mess without it.

lifeinhd
Jul 20, 2012, 09:09 AM
I knew they'd figure out a solution, they're a smart company :)

Still, it's sad it's come to this.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
I would not put it past Apple to do the same in the US because as I do not fall in the nut case category I would much rather it work that way. I can show up and be out of there with in 15 mins

Mad-B-One
Jul 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
And Yoda said: "The end of the bockbuster this is."

lifeinhd
Jul 20, 2012, 09:18 AM
I would not put it past Apple to do the same in the US because as I do not fall in the nut case category I would much rather it work that way. I can show up and be out of there with in 15 mins

Half of me agrees, but half of me likes the "nut case" experience. It's a good time to bond with fellow Apple enthusiasts, which is kinda nice.

Fattytail
Jul 20, 2012, 09:18 AM
Apple did this in Hong Kong last year with the 4S after the first day, I believe. Lines were completely gone. Great for mall security, but I don't know if Steve would've wanted this. Much less hype than normal.

goodcow
Jul 20, 2012, 09:19 AM

No, because it gets them tremendous press. The only reason they started this reservation system in China is because it was out of control and led to violence.

ugahairydawgs
Jul 20, 2012, 09:36 AM

Would be nice. Unfortunately I think they prefer the organized chaos of the US release for all of the free media they get.

iRobby
Jul 20, 2012, 09:38 AM
Crowds at the Sanlitun store were sparse under the new reservation system, with the store opening two hours early at 8:00 AM but with only ten people in line by 8:30.

NO!!!!!!

Apple is doomed!! Bring out the white flags for surrender to Samsung!!

I'm in mourning:(:(:(

BC2009
Jul 20, 2012, 09:42 AM

I simply preorder in the US and have it delivered the same day as the crowds line up to get one from the store. It has worked very well for my last two iPads and my last two iPhones.

Would be nice. Unfortunately I think they prefer the organized chaos of the US release for all of the free media they get.

No, because it gets them tremendous press. The only reason they started this reservation system in China is because it was out of control and led to violence.

I believe you are right, free press is a good thing and the press loves crowds and chaos. It only goes bad when it gets violent. Then the free press is not so good.

That said, every AAPL investor (including myself) is very glad to see the new iPad launch in China. It should help bolster revenue from the drop in iPhone sales that will occur in the months before a new iPhone is released. At the end of the day, most investors care more about the long term sales than the one-day stock price jump when the media covers the crowds lining up outside the stores (except for the day traders that is).

deannnnn
Jul 20, 2012, 09:48 AM
Apple did this in Hong Kong last year with the 4S after the first day, I believe. Lines were completely gone. Great for mall security, but I don't know if Steve would've wanted this. Much less hype than normal.

Yeah but it's not like there was really hype in China before, just tons of people trying to buy and resell the device to people in countries where there is hype.

Simplicated
Jul 20, 2012, 09:53 AM

They did this just to thwart the scalpers, nothing more, nothing less. Apple likes free publicity, so they would want people lining up for the products. But scalping in China is just way too rampant.

Winter Charm
Half of me agrees, but half of me likes the "nut case" experience. It's a good time to bond with fellow Apple enthusiasts, which is kinda nice.

I'm torn between both things, too! :D

I love the experience, but the feeling of exhaustion afterwards... :P

Consultant
Yeah but it's not like there was really hype in China before, just tons of people trying to buy and resell the device to people in countries where there is hype.

Actually, there is demand in China (not hype). That's why scalpers were out on previous launches.

Before China launches, scalpers buy from US and other countries and import them to China.

charlieegan3
Jul 20, 2012, 09:55 AM
security geniuses.

Heresiarch
Jul 20, 2012, 10:04 AM
There are several reasons that the New iPad is not so hot this time in China:

1. It's been released way too late. Four months later than every other countries. iPad fans would have already bought a Hong Kong/US New iPad already.

2. The price is more expensive in China. The China iPad price is 3688 CNY vs Hong Kong 3888 HKD vs US 499 USD. Since 1 HKD = 0.8 CNY, and 1 USD = 6.3 CNY, that's 3688 CNY vs 3110 CNY vs 3150 CNY.

3. Shopping on the internet is extremely popular and easy in China, and lots and lots of people and internet shops "imported" lots of HK/US iPads to resell them.

I'm living in China BTW, and have got the New iPad the third day after it was announced.

whooleytoo
Jul 20, 2012, 10:07 AM

Yeah, I'm almost surprised they put this system in place. "Riots outside Apple stores as new PowerBook G5 launches" are just the kind of headlines marketers want to keep fueling the 'limited supply. Get yours now or else' hype.

(Obviously joking about the PB G5).

Rocketman
Jul 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
I bought my last iDevice directly from the carrier. It took a couple of days longer but there was zero purchase hassle. I had to initiate it myself which took long enough for me to actually notice as compared to an in-store activation.

The reduction in hassle factor was worth it, but mainly because Apple has made the activation start-up process fairly simple.

Rocketman

Chrisg2014
Jul 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
I hope Apple doesn't do this in the US. It doesn't get that hectic like in china. It's much faster to wait in line, at least where I live. You're in and you're out, the employes are good at getting you your iPad, Paying and then you go. I got there late one time and the line was LONG! rapped around the block, the line started at the Apple store and ended at the apple store on the other side. I was in line for like 2 hours tops. It was worth it. Hey Apple made a lot of money FAST!

Navdakilla
Jul 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
I'm sure most hardcores found a way to get it anyways

GekkePrutser
Jul 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
It could also be that there's just not that much demand for the device in China, not as much as the iPhone..

gnasher729
Jul 20, 2012, 10:46 AM
Or if you had to order food like this..

What if this turns out to be the future for Apple product launches?

Let's say the store has 100 iPads.
And there are 100 people who want to buy and use an iPad.

They all get one, Apple sells all the iPads, customers get their iPads, everyone is happy.

Alternative: There are also 100 scalpers, who push into the store of the genuine customers, grab the iPads, and sell them to the people who want to use them at a markup.

This doesn't help Apple, because Apple's genuine customers pay more for the goods than Apple gets, making them less happy about their purchase, or possibly making them buy a different product. It doesn't help Apple's genuine customers at all. It only helps the scumbags.

If there is a huge supply of scumbags who want to make money by being parasites, and this is the way to get rid of them, then so be it.

Fattytail
Jul 20, 2012, 10:55 AM
It could also be that there's just not that much demand for the device in China, not as much as the iPhone..

Assuredly not the case. iPads are everywhere in China's big cities these days. As someone else mentioned above, this thing is being released four months after Hong Kong and the US. The grey and secondhand market have satisfied a great bulk of the demand already. That plus the reservation system.

JHankwitz
Jul 20, 2012, 10:59 AM
All this hastle, for what?

Simply order online!

fullmanfullninj
Jul 20, 2012, 11:31 AM
I think it's rather to explain why this particular store had a rather calm release. To reiterate, I'm talking about the Sanlitun store in Beijing only.

As people have mentioned, Chinese people have been getting iPads from Hong Kong for ages now. In fact, just two weeks ago my cousin and cousin in law just bought an iPad 3 after I showed them mine. [I'm from the States and I'm here in Beijing right now studying]

If people really wanted iPads in Beijing, they could take the subway to Zhongguancun where I'm sure there are more than enough Hong Kong iPads up for sale. That's where my cousin and cousin in law bought it at least - and they live right by ZGC.

In Beijing, there are many ways of getting an iPad. Since Apple decided to wait a third of a year to release it here, the hype for it has long died down. I'm pretty sure many people who wanted them have them by now. The official release just made it a bit easier (and more official) to buy an iPad.

AppleScruff1
Jul 20, 2012, 11:47 AM
Maybe there isn't as much demand for the iPad?

trekkie604
Jul 20, 2012, 12:01 PM
They won't make this normal practice because the media loves to hype up the photos of the crowd in lines overnight.

AppleScruff1
Jul 20, 2012, 12:05 PM
They won't make this normal practice because the media loves to hype up the photos of the crowd in lines overnight.

Apple loves it when the media hypes it up. Free advertising and free hype build up. It will be interesting to see what effect this has over time if they continue to operate this way, ie, adequate supplies at launch, efficient reservation system, no lines, no media hype. Maybe less people jumping on the band wagon.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
It seems to me that this takes away from the ability of Apple's freakish fanboys to so easily display how freakishly they are fanboys... nothing says "I belong to a cult" quite like lining up for a product launch that's still days away.

Maybe it's for the best, though, for Apple's marketshare? Maybe Apple hopes to gain more marketshare by shaking the appearance that one must be part of a cult to buy their products?

IDK, it's hard to argue with the free media that you get from those lines of devoted fans... plus it looks like a fun opportunity for meet-ups. I've never been to a product launch personally (I've always been too busy with school) but I was hoping to someday have a product launch fall at a time when I can attend...

JAT
Jul 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
security geniuses.
You mean Disney? They had this in the 80s.

ULFoaf
Jul 20, 2012, 01:19 PM
Interesting, most people in Beijing can apparently read "Security" in English. Can't say I can read it in Chinese!

cdmoore74
Jul 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
Remember when all those Chinese returned those iPad's in huge quanities? Demand for the new iPad is dead. Only reason Apple is releasing a smaller iPad is because the large model has slowed down. Its only logical.

bedifferent
Jul 20, 2012, 01:29 PM
Interesting, most people in Beijing can apparently read "Security" in English. Can't say I can read it in Chinese!

HA nice catch :)

TallManNY
Jul 20, 2012, 01:39 PM
Remember when all those Chinese returned those iPad's in huge quanities? Demand for the new iPad is dead. Only reason Apple is releasing a smaller iPad is because the large model has slowed down. Its only logical.

Dead is too strong a word. But yes, people need to remember that in the US there were tons of resellers lined up to return the new ipad when they found out that they couldn't mark it up.

While I like this policy, in this case there wasn't going to be a huge rush of scalpers anyway. The huge markup market for the new iPad just never existed, hence no profit for scalpers.

I wonder if Apple will do this for iPhone 5 and thereby forgo all the great free publicity that the lines create.

Bishop1j
Jul 20, 2012, 01:39 PM

And the scalpers. I think that also had a huge impact on the reason for this.

CodeJingle
Jul 20, 2012, 02:26 PM
I'm thinking the orderly-ness has more to do with the new ipad already having been out almost 3 months, rather than the required reservation system. The insanity is involved with those that 'need' something the first day it is released, those are the people that will travel anywhere in the world to get it (which they already have).

CodeJingle
Jul 20, 2012, 02:49 PM

Scalpers made money on previous iPad models because they were first in line to buy it in the country it was first available in, and (metaphorically) some of the people in line behind the scalpers didn't get one so bought them from the scalpers. Scalpers only make money off of people who want it bad enough but can't get it on their own, or can but aren't willing to order it online and wait a month for it. For the new ipad Apple is pumping them out fast enough that everyone in line got one, and the wait for ordering online was short so people who weren't in line buy from online instead of scalpers. The last market for scalpers is for people in countries the ipad isn't available in (for the people who aren't willing to travel). The new ipad was rolled out so quickly in so many countries so that scalper market didn't even exist - anyone in a non-available country who was willing to buy from a scalper was more willing to wait till it was available in their country or travel to the closest country it was available in and buy from there.

flux73
Jul 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
I would not put it past Apple to do the same in the US because as I do not fall in the nut case category I would much rather it work that way. I can show up and be out of there with in 15 minsI highly doubt it. It's good marketing for Apple for there to be a huge line in front of their doors before the release of a new product. They only changed it in China because of the scalpers, which they needed to do something about before there was a backlash from potential customers who might be turned off if they had to buy products from scalpers b/c they were buying out all of Apple's inventory.

Zzzbuzz
Jul 20, 2012, 04:13 PM
How many people going through the lines would be able to understand 'Security' on their shirts? I'm sure the clothes were made in China! :)

winston1236
Jul 20, 2012, 04:35 PM
Let's say the store has 100 iPads.
And there are 100 people who want to buy and use an iPad.

They all get one, Apple sells all the iPads, customers get their iPads, everyone is happy.

Alternative: There are also 100 scalpers, who push into the store of the genuine customers, grab the iPads, and sell them to the people who want to use them at a markup.

This doesn't help Apple, because Apple's genuine customers pay more for the goods than Apple gets, making them less happy about their purchase, or possibly making them buy a different product. It doesn't help Apple's genuine customers at all. It only helps the scumbags.

If there is a huge supply of scumbags who want to make money by being parasites, and this is the way to get rid of them, then so be it.

or people could learn to wait and stop trying to impress everyone else?

charlituna
Jul 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I'm almost surprised they put this system in place. "Riots outside Apple stores as new PowerBook G5 launches" are just the kind of headlines marketers want to keep fueling the 'limited supply. Get yours now or else' hype.

(Obviously joking about the PB G5).

Lines yes. Riots no. If someone gets hurt they will blame Apple and sue. Which is what almost happened with he 4s and why they have this crazy system in China.

The most they might do in the US is reservations, no walkin stock for like the first day and put in checks that there's no more than say two units per Apple ID, billing address, credit card or IP to thwart scalpers.

adamfilip
Jul 20, 2012, 05:01 PM
Why are there shirts in english?

zorinlynx
Jul 20, 2012, 05:19 PM

It's also fun when people walk past the line yelling "NERDS!" at you. Being all smug and not giving a **** when they do that is an amazing experience.

gnasher729
Jul 20, 2012, 05:21 PM
or people could learn to wait and stop trying to impress everyone else?

Do you buy things to impress other people? Well, that's sad.

H2SO4
Jul 21, 2012, 03:24 AM
Apple loves it when the media hypes it up. Free advertising and free hype build up. It will be interesting to see what effect this has over time if they continue to operate this way, ie, adequate supplies at launch, efficient reservation system, no lines, no media hype. Maybe less people jumping on the band wagon.

Posts like this always make me chuckle. Can you name me one organisation that doesn't like free advertising and hype?
I've heard the paid for version isn't as satisfying.

----------

Do you buy things to impress other people? Well, that's sad.

Not sad at all really, people the world over do all kinds of things to impress others. It isn't limited to buying iPads.

justperry
Jul 21, 2012, 10:29 AM
1. It's been released way too late. Four months later than every other countries. iPad fans would have already bought a Hong Kong/US New iPad already.

NOT, the new ipad is still not available in Indonesia and I bet in dozens of poor countries it won't be available at all.

Why are there shirts in english?

You haven't been traveling a lot, I can see, in many, many, many countries the english word is used even when their language is not English.
Here in Indonesia it is Security, I have been to many places around the world and security is as common as the dutch word apartheid.

The reason I guess is that most of the people on this world know the word security so even if they are in another country they know how to behave, know what they are up to.

JAT
Jul 21, 2012, 11:27 AM
Is that why I can't find one at my local retailers? (except Apple) Those returns were from people that found they couldn't sell it for 50% over retail since Apple started production earlier in relation to the launch date.

AppleScruff1
Jul 21, 2012, 05:14 PM
Posts like this always make me chuckle. Can you name me one organisation that doesn't like free advertising and hype?
I've heard the paid for version isn't as satisfying.[COLOR="#808080"]

Read the post that I replied to. Now that will make one chuckle.

Read the post that I replied to. Now that will make one chuckle.

weili
Jul 22, 2012, 09:50 AM
That reminds me of the joke:

What do you call someone who speaks three languages?

Trilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks one language?

American.