PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Email Client Sparrow Acquired by Google

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 20, 2012, 11:06 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/20/alternative-email-client-sparrow-acquired-by-google/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/NewImage16.png

Alternative email client Sparrow has been acquired by Google (http://sprw.me/). From Sparrow's website:
We're excited to announce that Sparrow has been acquired by Google!

We care a lot about how people communicate, and we did our best to provide you with the most intuitive and pleasurable mailing experience.

Now we're joining the Gmail team to accomplish a bigger vision -- one that we think we can better achieve with Google.

We'd like to extend a special thanks to all of our users who have supported us, advised us, given us priceless feedback and allowed us to build a better mail application. While we'll be working on new things at Google, we will continue to make Sparrow available and provide support for our users.

We had an amazing ride and can't thank you enough.

Full speed ahead!

Dom Leca
CEO
SparrowSparrow originally launched on the Mac, but an iPhone version (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/15/alternative-mail-client-sparrow-arrives-on-iphone/) was released earlier this year. Leca also said that Sparrow's products will continue to be made available with "support and critical updates", but Sparrow does not plan to release new features. There's no word whether Push email support -- promised earlier this year (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/04/push-email-is-coming-to-sparrow-for-iphone-promises-developer/) -- will make its way to the iOS app or if that has been pushed aside.

Late last year, Google released an iOS Gmail app (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/16/native-gmail-app-returns-to-app-store/) which was received poorly by users. Google issued this statement on the acquisition, but wouldn't divulge details of the purchase:
The Sparrow team has always put their users first by focusing on building a seamlessly simple and intuitive interface for their email client. We look forward to bringing them aboard the Gmail team, where they'll be working on new projects.Update: The Verge says Sparrow was acquired for "under $25 million" ("") and that there was no bidding war for the company.

Article Link: Alternative Email Client Sparrow Acquired by Google (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/20/alternative-email-client-sparrow-acquired-by-google/)

Michaelgtrusa
Jul 20, 2012, 11:07 AM
Well it was good! What will happen.

AustinIllini
Jul 20, 2012, 11:07 AM
Bad email app acquires good email app. Hopefully a win for consumers

ChazUK
Jul 20, 2012, 11:08 AM
Congrats to those lot.

Why did Apple pass them up? Only heard good things about them.

miles01110
Jul 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
Quite unexpected. Sparrow was one of the best third-party e-mail clients... I wonder why Google acquired them given their browser-centric mindset.

moldy912
Jul 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
I don't use Sparrow, but it's certainly exciting. My guess is that Google ditches the paid version, and uses their ad platform over the existing ads on the free version, eventually becoming the default Gmail desktop client.

CylonGlitch
Jul 20, 2012, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry, but with this move, I can't use Sparrow. I'm not a fan of Google's tactics, now they can more closely monitor our emails.

kylebshr
:P I really hope they keep updating the mac version, instead of moving it to gmail only.

moldy912
Congrats to those lot.

Apple does not need two desktop clients.

Menopause
Jul 20, 2012, 11:11 AM
Sparrow is great. All I wish and pray for is that Google doesn't do to Sparrow what Twitter did to Tweetie.

macse30
Sparrow eaten by eagle...

outphase
I'm sorry, but with this move, I can't use Sparrow. I'm not a fan of Google's tactics, now they can more closely monitor our emails.

How can they be any closer if they're already your email provider?

nfl46
Jul 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
Dang! Apple should have bought them when they had the chance!

macnchiefs
Good for them. Nice to see hard work rewarded with a big payday.

Small White Car
Well, there goes the dream of a good, small-company, independent e-mail app.

I never even used it but this seems kind of sad.

I wonder if Google will end up replacing their terrible iOS G-Mail app with this or if they'll live side-by-side for some unknown reason.

Smiles77
And at this news, an angel cried.

The only way I can see this turning out good is if Google used Sparrow as the base app for them to build off of instead of having the Sparrow people help fix the current Google app. I hope this actually ends up improving the Gmail web interface, but history makes me think it'll just be the end of another good company. :(

gotluck
interesting

Earendil
There was a time when Google made awesome software, and any project that they took on I was hopeful about. I still respect most of Google's software, but at some point in the last few years I started hanging my head lower and lower when they bought someone out. Without thinking about it, I have started lumping them in with Microsoft and Yahoo as giant companies that I hope never purchases my favorite software company.

To be fair, I wouldn't want Apple owning many of my favorite software companies either, but Apple doesn't generally buy brand companies, and opts for ones you've never heard of, or don't even have a product on the market yet. Certainly Apple isn't doing that to make me happy, but when I hear a company is about to be bought out, my fear is not that it's Apple.

nfl46

You being on the internet is being monitored. Get over that Google monitors your stuff...

TLewis
Well, that sucks. Google has an unfortunate history of killing most of its acquisitions. :eek: :(

T-Will
I hope this doesn't delay/cancel the iPad release.

finalcut
Jul 20, 2012, 11:13 AM
Time to get back with Mail.app I guess.

bjm2660
Bird poop

GemŁtlichkeit
All major providers have access to your email info. It can't be avoided, except to go off the grid.

Doombringer

It's called integration, friend.

Or simply: Apple acquires Sparrow. Apple incorporates Sparrow's design and feature improvements over Mail, into Mail. Apple's Mail thus becomes better.

GorgonPhone
Jul 20, 2012, 11:15 AM
Quite unexpected. Sparrow was one of the best third-party e-mail clients... I wonder why Google acquired them given their browser-centric mindset.

i fail to see the point of hyping sparrow .. it seems like just another email app.. make mail works fine for me..

bobobenobi

I'm guessing CylonGlitch uses another e-mail provider.

dokujaryu
Anyone else hearing that "wha wha whaaaaaaaaa" music in their heads?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5atPYaxX0lM

PlaceofDis
Jul 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
really hope it doesn't get left and forgotten or worse: changes that make the app too google-centric. i've been using the Mac and iOS versions since they were released and they're great for what i need/want out of an email client. really hope google doesn't mess it up.

aawil
Time to get back with Mail.app I guess.

My thought as well. Really liked sparrow too.

Drunken Master
Well, that sucks. Google has an unfortunate history of killing most of its acquisitions. :eek: :(

Or mucking them up, like with YouTube.

celui
Jul 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
Sparrow just sent that email to its customers:

Hello,

We're excited to let you know that Sparrow has been acquired by Google! You can view our public announcement here, but I wanted to reach out directly to make sure you were aware of the news.

We will continue to make available our existing products, and we will provide support and critical updates to our users. However, as weíll be busy with new projects at Google, we do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps.

Itís been an honor and a pleasure to build products for all of our wonderful users who have supported us over the years. We can't thank you enough.
We look forward to working on some new and exciting projects at Google!

Dom Leca
CEO
Sparrow

Menopause
Jul 20, 2012, 11:17 AM

Ah, the classic mindless paranoia. Two things:

1. Everyday, billions of emails are exchanged through Gmail. Believe me, Google has better things to do than monitor what grandpa wrote to you.

2. If you are so worried about your emails being monitored, why are you using Gmail in the first place?

bjm2660
Jul 20, 2012, 11:18 AM

Hello,

We're excited to let you know that Sparrow has been acquired by Google! You can view our public announcement here, but I wanted to reach out directly to make sure you were aware of the news.

We will continue to make available our existing products, and we will provide support and critical updates to our users. However, as weíll be busy with new projects at Google, we do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps.

Itís been an honor and a pleasure to build products for all of our wonderful users who have supported us over the years. We can't thank you enough.

Dom Leca
CEO
Sparrow

Icing on the cake, really.

alms
Jul 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
Oh well. I guess I should buy Sparrow now before they make it free and fill it up with advertisements and links to Google+.

Shoot. Good news for the devs, I guess, but bad news for their customers.

bobobenobi
Jul 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
Well, that's the end of that. I don't want Google to have more information about me. Time to switch back to Mail.

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 11:20 AM
i fail to see the point of hyping sparrow .. it seems like just another email app.. make mail works fine for me..

I agree. I downloaded Sparrow for $0.99 and don't see what the hype is.

miles01110
Jul 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Well, that's the end of that. I don't want Google to have more information about me. Time to switch back to Mail.

:rolleyes: You realize that if you use GMail everything still goes through Google, right?

ELMI0001

Google can't have your info but Apple can?

nilk
My experience with the desktop version of Sparrow was not so great, and I went back to using Mail.app and GMail web client. Granted, one of my major issues was only on Snow Leopard, but they refused to fix it and said to upgrade to Lion (this was last year, when Lion was still fresh). I had other issues that I don't think were Snow Leopard specific. Maybe now they will have more resources to address bugs...

ELMI0001
:rolleyes: You realize that if you use GMail everything still goes through Google, right?

+1, better point

C.G.B. Spender
Jul 20, 2012, 11:22 AM

1. Everyday, billions of emails are exchanged through Gmail. Believe me, Google has better things to do than monitor what grandpa wrote to you.

2. If you are so worried about your emails being monitored, why are you using Gmail in the first place?

But just in case they will scan it for keywords anyway :D

igorleandro
Jul 20, 2012, 11:22 AM
So many hopes for Sparrow... now they are all gone.

If you can't beat them, shut them down.

bobobenobi
Jul 20, 2012, 11:23 AM

If you don't think that they're using all of that e-mail data to make money you're deluded. Why contribute personal information to some company's data mine if you don't have to?

Why do you assume CylonGlitch is using Gmail?

Small White Car

It's not about the monitoring for me. I left G-Mail when they started tying it in with Google+ more and more. I don't want e-mail that's trying to be like Facebook.

I assume Sparrow will eventually move that way too which would be the reason for my disinterest in it. I can't speak for that other poster, but that's what would scare me away.

One company makes money by selling fancy toys. The other makes money by using the info you give them. This is not paranoia, this is their stated business plans.

If you somehow thought those were the same business model I could see why you'd be confused, but surely that's not the case, right?

nefan65
Wow, first Mozilla announces no more Thunderbird, and now this? I don't use either, but having a choice was nice.

ipodlover77
Jul 20, 2012, 11:24 AM
all major providers have access to your email info. It can't be avoided, except to go off the grid.

like kevin flynn
ha ha ha

admanimal
Jul 20, 2012, 11:25 AM

Or simply: Apple acquires Sparrow. Apple incorporates Sparrow's design and feature improvements over Mail, into Mail. Apple's Mail thus becomes better.

If Apple wanted their Mail client to be like Sparrow, they would just make it more like Sparrow. There is nothing so special about Sparrow that Apple couldn't easily replicate it if they wanted to.

bobobenobi
Jul 20, 2012, 11:26 AM

Apple isn't my e-mail provider. Unlike Google, they're also not an advertising agency. I trust that Apple isn't looking at the content of my e-mail. I do not extend that trust to Google.

palmerized
This could mean Sparrow will be the new official mobile Gmail app. This is good, no? Also - with Google's servers we could finally get PUSH on Sparrow...

benpatient
So many hopes for Sparrow... now they are all gone.

If you can't beat them, shut them down.

At least Google isn't going to do what Apple did to Lala.com.

Rennir
I was just thinking about getting the app, before the announcement and noticed in the reviews that apparently Sparrow was having issues with stability and privacy before Google even acquired them. The current version in the Mac App Store is only rated at 3.5 stars :(

DustinT
Jul 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
I'm sorry, but with this move, I can't use Sparrow. I'm not a fan of Google's tactics, now they can more closely monitor our emails.Seconded. They are trouble.

bobobenobi
Jul 20, 2012, 11:27 AM

I don't use Gmail for the same reason I don't want to use Google-owned Sparrow.

PBP
Jul 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
*removes Sparrow

:p

GroundLoop
Jul 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
meh....I still use Pine.

GL

rukkus
Jul 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
so.. i'm an android phone user who purchased a new iPad. The default mail client is crap. I hope the Sparrow team starts working on the gmail apps for both OSs. that said... it's really funny how bent out of shape some people get around here with anything involving google/android. it's not nearly this bad on android forums.

MacFan23
Jul 20, 2012, 11:30 AM

I'd imagine Apple developers are more than capable of adding said features themselves without having to purchase a whole company.

miles01110
Jul 20, 2012, 11:30 AM
Apple isn't my e-mail provider. Unlike Google, they're also not an advertising agency. I trust that Apple isn't looking at the content of my e-mail. I do not extend that trust to Google.

News flash: Apple does it too.

2bikes
Jul 20, 2012, 11:32 AM
Finally, GMail is getting some professional help. :)

JoshBoy
Last night I removed sparrow off my Mac and iPhone because I installed mountain lion and started using mail again. Weird timing to then get this email. I was waiting for the iPad version but with ios6 on the way I probably would have gone back to mail anyway on the iPad.

JS82712

please, prove it, mr. genius.:rolleyes:

Alfred.Woodden
It is effectively dead. Dom Leca wrote there won't be anymore updates / features to Sparrow other than bug fixes.

Sparrow has hit the end of the road. :(

bagelche
Jul 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
meh....I still use Pine.

Do you? I haven't used it in over 15 years, but I recently saw it mentioned on one of those "who are you, what do you use" blogs.

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
It's not about the monitoring for me. I left G-Mail when they started tying it in with Google+ more and more. I don't want e-mail that's trying to be like Facebook.

I assume Sparrow will eventually move that way too which would be the reason for my disinterest in it. I can't speak for that other poster, but that's what would scare me away.

One company makes money by selling fancy toys. The other makes money by using the info you give them. This is not paranoia, this is their stated business plans.

If you somehow thought those were the same business model I could see why you'd be confused, but surely that's not the case, right?

I know we're all Apple Fanboys/gals but if you don't think the information you feed Apple isn't being used to market you, then you are being naive.

It isn't as annoying as Google (i.e. ads), but Apple does it through their own ventures they make money off of (i.e. iTunes recommendations).

Both companies use information you provide them to market products/services to you and both companies profit from it.

twosee
Jul 20, 2012, 11:34 AM

Apple doesn't use the content of my emails to push unwanted ads in my face. See the difference between Apple and Google is that you are Apples customer, the Advertisers are Googles customers. You are just an object Google uses to sell to their customers.

flash84x
Jul 20, 2012, 11:34 AM

It's not about two clients, it's about getting the innovative team from Sparrow working for them and improving the existing client, Mail.

CylonGlitch
Jul 20, 2012, 11:35 AM

Who said they were my email provider?

----------

You being on the internet is being monitored. Get over that Google monitors your stuff...

Of course they do. But I don't have to make it easy for them.

nagromme
Jul 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
All major providers have access to your email info. It can't be avoided, except to go off the grid.

True, but not all companies make nearly all of their massive profits by tracking and selling information about you, aggregated or otherwise. They donít all have the same profit incentive (and terrible privacy track record) that Google has to cross the line into gray areas.

People who used Sparrow without GMail were Google-free, and that wonít be true any longer.

That said, users with Little Snitch and the like can always monitor Sparrow and tell the rest of us whether it communicates back to Google in any way. Hopefully, for NON-GMail users, that answer will be no! And hopefully Google keeps Sparrow working as a great client that doesnít demand you use GMail. (But it seems likely theyíd want it to be a GMail-exclusive tool in future.)

sachisme
I'd imagine Apple developers are more than capable of adding said features themselves without having to purchase a whole company.

Like "Siri"? :rolleyes:

twosee
I know we're all Apple Fanboys/gals but if you don't think the information you feed Apple isn't being used to market you, then you are being naive.

It isn't as annoying as Google (i.e. ads), but Apple does it through their own ventures they make money off of (i.e. iTunes recommendations).

Both companies use information you provide them to market products/services to you and both companies profit from it.

Probably, but again, it's not BLATANTLY thrown in my face. I was tied to google plus without choosing to be, tied to circles... all that stuff.

Yelmurc
This is purely a talent grab. I'd be shocked if Google had any interest in a mail client for the mac. They want everyone using gmail on the web with their ads in it.

CylonGlitch
I'm guessing CylonGlitch uses another e-mail provider.

Exactly, there's good reason I don't use Google, or Yahoo, or any other major email provider.

fabsgwu
This could be a great Trojan horse for Google Drive. Think about it; currently there is no way to attach a file to an email reply. Sparrow includes a way to attach a photo, but there are numerous occasions where you need to attach a document or PDF, and if you're trying to do so from an iOS device it is at best a pain (send a separate email from an app like Dropbox), and at worst impossible (no way currently to quickly reply with a file, without a Jailbreak tweak).

I think (and I hope) that Google will integrate file attachments, customized push notifications and more to Sparrow. It makes sense that Google wants to offer more robust apps on the iOS platform as they can no longer count on Apple to include their services natively after the ouster of Google Maps. The Chrome app, Drive and now Sparrrow will be part of Google's iOS services and strategy.

On another note, as a Sparrow user I do hope that Google continues to improve the software, rather than kill it.

Edit: Feature freeze - Looks like Sparrow is saying they they won't develop any new features for the apps. This is obviously not great news for current users of Sparrow, but eventually we'll likely see the official Gmail.app inherit some of Sparrow's look and feel. It will be good to see Sparrow's interface + Gmail's robust native search.

Source 9to5mac: http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/20/google-acquires-sparrow-the-star-third-party-ios-and-mac-email-client/

bobobenobi

Apple is not collecting any of my e-mail data. This is extremely easy to verify.

writingdevil
Jul 20, 2012, 11:37 AM
so.. i'm an android phone user who purchased a new iPad. The default mail client is crap. I hope the Sparrow team starts working on the gmail apps for both OSs. that said... it's really funny how bent out of shape some people get around here with anything involving google/android. it's not nearly this bad on android forums.

I'm not having problems with iPad mail at all. What are your problems?

Small White Car
Jul 20, 2012, 11:38 AM

Thank you for making my point clearer.

You're somehow trying to convince me that I should be excited by the "more annoying way?"

Not a very great sales pitch. The addition of Google+ was what finally drove me away from G-Mail. You won't entice me back by telling me it's more annoying. Yeah. I know.

CylonGlitch

1. They monitor everything via applications they developed to figure out how to better to market you and sell your information. It is by far, NOT impossible especially since most people just store their mails on their servers so the scanning doesn't have to be done in real time.

2. No one said I used gmail; I don't.

lw9090
Just deleted all my Sparrow apps, F google!

bobobenobi
Jul 20, 2012, 11:42 AM

There's the rub though. I expect that Apple will use the information *that I feed them*. I would not want to feed my e-mail to Google.

----------

Exactly, there's good reason I don't use Google, or Yahoo, or any other major email provider.

Same here. I have been my own e-mail provider since 2000.

maconservative
Jul 20, 2012, 11:42 AM
I'm glad I kept my Carrier Pigeons.

:rolleyes:

rjohnstone
Jul 20, 2012, 11:43 AM
Probably, but again, it's not BLATANTLY thrown in my face. I was tied to google plus without choosing to be, tied to circles... all that stuff.
No.. you weren't.
You have a choice to use G+ or not. It's not automatic.
Somewhere along the line you agreed and accepted the association.

weiliklee
Jul 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
Guess it's time to switch to Postbox.

Sad to see Sparrow gobbled down by Google. They are a really nifty bunch of independent developers.

skellener
Jul 20, 2012, 11:46 AM
Super bummed by this news. I use Sparrow on all my Apple devices. Have since they debuted. This sucks.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 20, 2012, 11:48 AM
Thinking whether is good or bad, this could mean that Google is going to replace their current GMAIL iOS App with Sparrow.

I would say is going to be great!

uknowimright
hey guys, what do you guys use to keep you tinfoil hats from falling off?

BlueGummiBear
Well crap. I just bought Sparrow yesterday on the App Store for $2.99. What a waste. I was hoping they were going to release Push Notifications but I guess that isn't coming now. What a shame.

Killa Aaron
Jul 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
I am very shocked by this news, oh well i like the icon though.

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 11:50 AM
Thank you for making my point clearer.

You're somehow trying to convince me that I should be excited by the "more annoying way?"

Not a very great sales pitch. The addition of Google+ was what finally drove me away from G-Mail. You won't entice me back by telling me it's more annoying. Yeah. I know.

No I'm not. You're assuming I'm this huge Google fanboy and them using our data as they please is okay.

The premise of your original statement is that major companies taking our data is a terrible thing. Apple does it as often as Google. Google forced everyone onto Google+, Apple tried to get everyone to use Ping.

I'm looking at both sides of it; not through Google Glasses or iGlasses.

I'm not selling you anything.

kmpoboy2
Jul 20, 2012, 11:51 AM

Hello,

Dom Leca
CEO
Sparrow

This says it all. They're not going to work with this app no more.

Back to Mail.app.

ELMI0001
Thinking whether is good or bad, this could mean that Google is going to replace their current GMAIL iOS App with Sparrow.

I would say is going to be great!

But only for people using Gmail ... I think that's the hangup for a lot of people. Even though Sparrow lacks push notifications and support for Exchange, so it's not like it was ever there in the first place.

skellener
Well crap. I just bought Sparrow yesterday on the App Store for $2.99. What a waste. I was hoping they were going to release Push Notifications but I guess that isn't coming now. What a shame. I've been using Sparrow along with Boxcar. Works great.

dgree03
Jul 20, 2012, 11:52 AM
Apple is not collecting any of my e-mail data. This is extremely easy to verify.

So is email data all you are concerned about? So is this really about privacy or something else?

Do you use the internet? use a land lines? You are being tracked...

ELMI0001
Well crap. I just bought Sparrow yesterday on the App Store for $2.99. What a waste. I was hoping they were going to release Push Notifications but I guess that isn't coming now. What a shame.

I've used Sparrow for 6 weeks now. The hype outweighs the product.

Funkymonk
Lol at all the flipfloppers now swearing off sparrow when chances are they used gmail in the first place. Are you people for real?

What search engine do you use? Bing or yahoo?

bse3
So, how many billions did it cost them?

amarcus
Jul 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
What really bugs me is how the Sparrow team portrays this as being good for it's users... it's not!

Simplicated
Jul 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
I was about to take the plunge and buy the app, well I guess I'll hold off and see how the app will become/be ruined. :o

Small White Car
Jul 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
The premise of your original statement is that major companies taking our data is a terrible thing.

No, you made that up.

My original statement was that companies using our data in annoying ways is annoying and that Apple is less annoying than Google.

Maybe I didn't word it clearly enough. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15288855&postcount=46) My mistake.

mikefla
Jul 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
Well it was good! What will happen.
Likely Google will simply outsource the programming work to India and there goes another product down the tubes.

-Mike

kevharris
Jul 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
I don't care what you say. The message was pretty blunt and very clear...Sparrow is dead. It's very likely Google will scrap the Mac and iOS apps and fold Sparrow into a future version of Chrome.

This is not a good thing. The best mail app on the Mac/iOS just got dead.

I am so sick and tired of large companies taking awesome apps and trashing them. Fu**ing sell outs!

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 11:59 AM
No, you made that up.

My original statement was that companies using our data in annoying ways is annoying and that Apple is less annoying than Google.

Maybe I didn't word it clearly enough. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15288855&postcount=46) My mistake.

Well now you're just quoting me:

Small White Car
Jul 20, 2012, 11:59 AM
I don't care what you say. The message was pretty blunt and very clear...Sparrow is dead.

Yes, this article makes that even more clear in case anyone still doubts you.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/20/3172222/google-buys-sparrow-mail

writingdevil
Jul 20, 2012, 12:01 PM

I dont believe "we're all Apple Fanboys/gals" as I'm not, for one, and usually when people start posts like that it's to appear a 'devoted' user. Apple and Google have very different business plans, certainly not new info. Google's clients are advertisers, not users.

Your example of iTunes shows the difference. When I am in iTunes, my previous purchases show me options, within the app I'm already in, without taking me away from page I'm on. If I don't want recommendations, I turn the Genius option off. End of issue.

gearaholic
Jul 20, 2012, 12:02 PM
This is a email I just got from sparrow.

What sticks out is "...we do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps."
Hello,

We're excited to let you know that Sparrow has been acquired by Google!

You can view our public announcement here, but I wanted to reach out directly to make sure you were aware of the news. We will continue to make available our existing products, and we will provide support and critical updates to our users. However, as we’ll be busy with new projects at Google, we do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps.

It’s been an honor and a pleasure to build products for all of our wonderful users who have supported us over the years. We can't thank you enough.

Dom Leca
CEO
Sparrow

JustGretchen
I've been using Sparrow on iOS and Mac for several months. I agree it's over hyped, but it is a more elegant and logical solution for Mail overall.

I am a gmail user, have been since about 3 months after gmail launched, and I love gmail, but I'm not big on some of Google's practices that go along with it.

Then again I can't bitch because it's free and works great.

I can bitch about sparrow and now I will. I spent the money on the apps and for them to straight up say they will no longer add features is kinda crappy. I admit at first I got the desktop client from less than legal sources but after about a week of using it I paid them and got it through the app store because I thought it was a really nice piece of software with good people and a good mission behind it. Now it's unfortunate that it's fate is going into the unknown.

I'll probably still use it because i like it better than other solutions.

I've never used Sparrow despite hearing good things about them...but now I won't even THINK of using a Google-owned Sparrow...the only thing worse than this would be to see FB buying Sparrow.

codefuns
Jul 20, 2012, 12:03 PM
Don't be fans of any company, you live for yourself. If it is a good product, then use it without care about if it comes from google. Google didn't kill your mother.

JML42691
Jul 20, 2012, 12:06 PM
Good for gmail users, not so much for everyone else.

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
I dont believe "we're all Apple Fanboys/gals" as I'm not, for one, and usually when people start posts like that it's to appear a 'devoted' user. Apple and Google have very different business plans, certainly not new info. Google's clients are advertisers, not users.

Your example of iTunes shows the difference. When I am in iTunes, my previous purchases show me options, within the app I'm already in, without taking me away from page I'm on. If I don't want recommendations, I turn the Genius option off. End of issue.

I'm not trying to appear a devoted user. I was stating that people seem outraged at the thought that Google may use information to market them. It's not new information. Not to me, not to you, not to anyone.

You're correct, you can turn off Genius just as people don't have to use Google. That would be the end of issue. As Small White Car has said; when they pushed Google+ on him/her, they left Gmail.

I'm not paranoid about the data I'm feeding Google. As another user pointed out; Google doesn't care what grandma emailed me. And through the use of chrome extensions (minimalists), you can block the ads in Gmail.

For me, I was willing to try Sparrow for $0.99 over Memorial Day weekend when they had a sale and over the last 6 weeks I'm not impressed. It had promise, but now it's dead.

hankdu
Jul 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
what a sad piece of news, somehow googled-sparrow just doesn't feel right. Sparrow was unique and different from all the major players but now... only time will tell..:(

nickelt
Jul 20, 2012, 12:09 PM

Wonder what ppl like you have to hide?

Don't be fans of any company, you live for yourself. If it is a good product, then use it without care about if it comes from google. Google didn't kill your mother.

You probably don't know about the Bungie-Microsoft case, do you?

GroundLoop
Do you? I haven't used it in over 15 years, but I recently saw it mentioned on one of those "who are you, what do you use" blogs.

On my linux box, yes I do still use pine. Just reminds me of the good ole days when things were simple and you didn't have to worry about all of the software issues of today.

GL

codefuns
Jul 20, 2012, 12:12 PM
If I can get cheaper price or even free for that, I am very happy. When google use some of your information to market them, it is benefit to you also, you can get more information you really want, it is a double win game I think.

I'm not trying to appear a devoted user. I was stating that people seem outraged at the thought that Google may use information to market them. It's not new information. Not to me, not to you, not to anyone.

You're correct, you can turn off Genius just as people don't have to use Google. That would be the end of issue. As Small White Car has said; when they pushed Google+ on him/her, they left Gmail.

I'm not paranoid about the data I'm feeding Google. As another user pointed out; Google doesn't care what grandma emailed me. And through the use of chrome extensions (minimalists), you can block the ads in Gmail.

For me, I was willing to try Sparrow for $0.99 over Memorial Day weekend when they had a sale and over the last 6 weeks I'm not impressed. It had promise, but now it's dead.

Mundty
Jul 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
This is said news, Sparrow had a keen eye for design and functionality. While I have nothing against Google as a company, their eye for aesthetics and intuitiveness has always been a huge weak point for them. Sparrow's iOS app is especially well designed, as was the Mac app to a lesser extent.

ormie
Jul 20, 2012, 12:15 PM

With the news that google has taken over Sparrow, I'm now in the process of removing all my Sparrow Mail apps from all my Mac products. Deaply disappointed with the developers at Sparrow, but even more, I feel for people that put money into the company only to be sold down the river by Sparrow. Yes, I too don't trust Google and that is why I'm of too.

nickelt
Jul 20, 2012, 12:16 PM

Speak for yourself, I cant stand the fanboys. I just like owning apple products because most of them in my opinion are superior. Been burned by windows, osx just works. Love my ipad nothing else comes close. If i see an android that i like in the future i may give it a go after 4 years of iphone. We are not all fan boys even wozniak owns other products than just apples.

RedCroissant
Jul 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
I think this talk about Google and Apple both using your email information to market/advertise/sell is interesting.

The difference between them(as everyone knows) is that Google relies on ads to make their money. Apple uses their products to make theirs, and their email is not ad supported.

And yes, Apple might be mining personal emails in order to market to the customer, butt Google is mining those emails in order to market the person using the product to their customers(the advertisers). With Google, all that information is a commodity.

If you're using Gmail, try this experiment: send an email to someone using another language and font(something that you normally wouldn't do) and then see how the ads change after that.

bobobenobi
Jul 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
So is email data all you are concerned about? So is this really about privacy or something else?

Do you use the internet? use a land lines? You are being tracked...

Of course it's about privacy. Why make it easier for companies to track you if you don't have to?

ormie
Jul 20, 2012, 12:19 PM

Nothing, but we don't like the idea of google selling our details on for a profit.

codefuns
Jul 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
I don't know that, but from you, I think maybe it is a bad merge in you memory. But google is not microsoft, and even microsoft is changing all the time. You can't use one thing to cover all the things. Future is uncertain.
Again, if sparrow is better in the future, continue use it, otherwise, choose another one or just don't upgrade. BUT, don't make you choice now PLEASE.

You probably don't know about the Bungie-Microsoft case, do you?

Mars478
Jul 20, 2012, 12:22 PM
Pshhh Eudora is where it's at.

bobobenobi

Probably as much as you do. Could you post your usernames and passwords for all of the sites you visit? Be sure to include your bank account information too.

ArtOfWarfare
I'm confused... why does Google think it's a good idea to buy a company that makes a quality Mac and iOS, with no support for Android or any other operating system, would be a good fit?

I can't help but feel this must have been a case more along the lines of Google paid Sparrow a crap ton of money so Sparrow would go away. Google's aim is to remain dominant by buying out competition and keeping Apple from acquiring them.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Google actually thinks they see something in the Sparrow team's design philosophy or something that will actually help improve Gmail.

whooleytoo
Jul 20, 2012, 12:23 PM
Sparrow eaten by eagle...

I thought Google's motto was "Don't be eagle"?

Penooker
Jul 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
ARGH! I just bought you, Sparrow. And there's not going to be any more new releases? Why did I pay for you then?

gotluck
Jul 20, 2012, 12:31 PM

With that logic why don't you get an adblocker for your web browser and google will never bother you with ads, seriously though it's lovely. End of issue (apparently). Regardless, you are on the internet - you are being tracked.

Flitzy
Jul 20, 2012, 12:35 PM
If you're a Mac user, why would you use anything but Mail.app any way?

tiwizard
Jul 20, 2012, 12:36 PM
This is a email I just got from sparrow.

What sticks out is "...we do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps."

Yeah, that sucks. The least they could do is continue improving their apps. Essentially, they are abandoning it and only updating it if there is something seriously wrong with it.

ct2k7
Jul 20, 2012, 12:39 PM

Try using Mail.app vs Sparrow.

I'd much rather use Sparrow, heck, even I'm using Outlook for Mac over Mail.app.

ugahairydawgs

The Mail app doesn't really co-exist with Gmail accounts and their label system all that well in my experience. Only real reason I can think of.

CylonGlitch

What I buy, where I shop, where I visit, who I talk with, and corporate relations. There is no reason I should blindly give this information to Google, protecting your identity isn't something that should be taken lightly.

kmpoboy2
Jul 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Yeah, that sucks. The least they could do is continue improving their apps. Essentially, they are abandoning it and only updating it if there is something seriously wrong with it.

Yeap, that's what killed it for me. There's no point of getting an app that's its never going to be updated. It's sad, it was a great app, especially on OS X.

CylonGlitch
Jul 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
I'm confused... why does Google think it's a good idea to buy a company that makes a quality Mac and iOS, with no support for Android or any other operating system, would be a good fit?

I can't help but feel this must have been a case more along the lines of Google paid Sparrow a crap ton of money so Sparrow would go away. Google's aim is to remain dominant by buying out competition and keeping Apple from acquiring them.

Two fold, one they can now force a Sparrow for Android. And secondly remove a very prominent application from their competitors.

Allenbf
Jul 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
Well thank goodness for the new @icloud address, eh?

;)

Been thinking about giving up sparrow/gmail for a bit anyway. Thanks for pushing me on over the edge..

KnightWRX
Jul 20, 2012, 12:46 PM
What I buy, where I shop, where I visit, who I talk with, and corporate relations. There is no reason I should blindly give this information to Google, protecting your identity isn't something that should be taken lightly.

I do hope you block any Javascript from Google Analytics, because they have all of those for your Internet browsing since most sites on the net rely on Google for analytics services.

million7
Jul 20, 2012, 12:47 PM

Because sparrow users like me want our email presented in a sexy way. :cool:

Oh and the quick reply and pull to refresh are some of my favorite features about sparrow.

Jul 20, 2012, 12:48 PM

I'd much rather use Sparrow, heck, even I'm using Outlook for Mac over Mail.app.

Sad to say, but you're not exactly in the majority here. Mail.app is perfectly fine and bug-free right now.

uknowimright
Jul 20, 2012, 12:49 PM
ITT: people don't know how the internet works

stiligFox
Jul 20, 2012, 12:51 PM
[que Darth Vader]

ct2k7
Sad to say, but you're not exactly in the majority here. Mail.app is perfectly fine and bug-free right now.

It doesn't fit my needs at all. Especially given that I use Google Apps (paid).

Kate.
Argh, less than a week after it's on sale in the Mac App Store?

CylonGlitch
Jul 20, 2012, 12:52 PM
I do hope you block any Javascript from Google Analytics, because they have all of those for your Internet browsing since most sites on the net rely on Google for analytics services.

And you don't? There are things that are sent via email that doesn't get sent when you visit sites. Personal things are sent via email; corporate things are sent via email; banking statements; billing information, etc. These things aren't tracked via Analytics. Even then, block it is easy, so why not do it?

Carlanga
Jul 20, 2012, 12:53 PM
well I guess promoting as news important every single mini update in MR side front page worked and they got bought by someone big...

tekboi
Jul 20, 2012, 12:53 PM
Well, sparrow is simple and intuitive and all. But it just doesn't have the feature set like mail and thunderbird have. So, i'll stick w/ mail.

coolfactor
Jul 20, 2012, 12:54 PM

To squash competition. No ad revenue.

h00ligan
Jul 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
Well I certainly wish I hadn't just bought the desktop version. Good for them I'm sure. Sucks for their users.

coolfactor
Jul 20, 2012, 12:55 PM

Too bad. You know the "classic" interface is available, right?

ct2k7
Jul 20, 2012, 12:57 PM
Too bad. You know the "classic" interface is available, right?

I'm not sure how the classic view is any compensation... I assume you haven't use Outlook for Mac, Mail or Sparrow in it's default view?

KnightWRX
Jul 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
And you don't? There are things that are sent via email that doesn't get sent when you visit sites. Personal things are sent via email; corporate things are sent via email; banking statements; billing information, etc. These things aren't tracked via Analytics. Even then, block it is easy, so why not do it?

First, my personal things sent to my e-mail aren't important enough to matter. Next :

- Corporate things are not sent to anything other than my corporate e-mail. They are also encrypted.
- Banking statements are not sent via e-mail, they are available directly from my bank on their banking site. Encrypted.
- Billing information information is not sent over e-mail. Credit card information and confirmation numbers are viewed on e-commerce sites. Encrypted.

Google via analytics though tracks where I shop, what I read, what my interests are, etc.. etc.. through my browsing habits. I don't care enough to block them. I use an ad blocker for the annoyance factor only.

As far as "Google selling my info!" I'm not daft enough to even consider that remotely true : Google doesn't sell my info. They sell ad placement based on my info. The 3rd parties don't get my profile, they give Google a profile to target and Google does the leg work.

Google makes their money off advertising and the information they collect. It is precious to them, they wouldn't sell their biggest money maker.

avanpelt
Jul 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
One of the things that turned me off about Sparrow was not the fact that it didn't have push notifications; but the fact that the developers of Sparrow acted like spoiled children who cried and whined because Apple wouldn't give them access to the APIs they wanted to make push happen on Sparrow's terms.

Google obviously already has the infrastructure in place to push notifications within the confines of Apple's set parameters. They're doing it today with the Gmail app. My guess is that Google will add push notifications to the Sparrow app in fairly short order if they keep Sparrow around as a separate app from the Gmail app.

sikkinixx
Jul 20, 2012, 01:06 PM
Glad I didn;t buy the app a few days ago.

uknowimright
Jul 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
First, my personal things sent to my e-mail aren't important enough to matter. Next :

- Corporate things are not sent to anything other than my corporate e-mail. They are also encrypted.
- Banking statements are not sent via e-mail, they are available directly from my bank on their banking site. Encrypted.
- Billing information information is not sent over e-mail. Credit card information and confirmation numbers are viewed on e-commerce sites. Encrypted.

Google via analytics though tracks where I shop, what I read, what my interests are, etc.. etc.. through my browsing habits. I don't care enough to block them. I use an ad blocker for the annoyance factor only.

As far as "Google selling my info!" I'm not daft enough to even consider that remotely true : Google doesn't sell my info. They sell ad placement based on my info. The 3rd parties don't get my profile, they give Google a profile to target and Google does the leg work.

Google makes their money off advertising and the information they collect. It is precious to them, they wouldn't sell their biggest money maker.

ding ding ding!

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
Speak for yourself, I cant stand the fanboys. I just like owning apple products because most of them in my opinion are superior. Been burned by windows, osx just works. Love my ipad nothing else comes close. If i see an android that i like in the future i may give it a go after 4 years of iphone. We are not all fan boys even wozniak owns other products than just apples.

I guess we define fanboys differently, but we're on MacRumors talking about why it's okay for Apple to use our information and not okay for Google. Seems rather Fanboy-ish to me.

Not the intent of the reply; just wanted to say that I agree with you wholeheartedly.

deannnnn
Jul 20, 2012, 01:08 PM

I hate that MacRumors has become so anti-Google.

There is no denying that both Apple and Google are both extremely innovative and successful companies that offer services that cannot be found anywhere else. Apple products using Google services are the best in the world in my opinion.

fredoviola
this suxxxxxx... I have been using Sparrow as a replacement for Apple's crappy Mail app. Bummed it will soon be run by Google. :(

kmpoboy2
One of the things that turned me off about Sparrow was not the fact that it didn't have push notifications; but the fact that the developers of Sparrow acted like spoiled children who cried and whined because Apple wouldn't give them access to the APIs they wanted to make push happen on Sparrow's terms.

Google obviously already has the infrastructure in place to push notifications within the confines of Apple's set parameters. They're doing it today with the Gmail app. My guess is that Google will add push notifications to the Sparrow app in fairly short order if they keep Sparrow around as a separate app from the Gmail app.

Don't count on it. They already said there not adding more features to the apps. They're just going to work on Google projects and fix the app if something happens.

petsounds
Jul 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
It's pretty telling when Google has to buy a 3rd-party mail app. They have no idea how to create an intuitive user experience on mobile, even with the thousands of employees they have. Pretty sad.

bigjnyc
Jul 20, 2012, 01:11 PM

because Mail.app is an absolute catastrophe when it comes to handling gmail.... Sparrow did Gmail perfectly.

Razeus
Jul 20, 2012, 01:12 PM
I love the Sparrow iOS app, but the lack of notifications is a pain. It's soooo close to being my default email client, so hopefully Google will add push notifications to this.

AppleDroid
Jul 20, 2012, 01:12 PM
My thought as well. Really liked sparrow too.

So Sparrow for Mac is also dead too? I know they want to morph it into their own app for iOS but don't kill my desktop client. :mad:

ct2k7
Jul 20, 2012, 01:14 PM
I love the Sparrow iOS app, but the lack of notifications is a pain. It's soooo close to being my default email client, so hopefully Google will add push notifications to this.

----------

So Sparrow for Mac is also dead too? I know they want to morph it into their own app for iOS but don't kill my desktop client. :mad:

Razeus
Jul 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
We will continue to make available our existing products, and we will provide support and critical updates to our users. However, as we’ll be busy with new projects at Google, we do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps.

----------

We will continue to make available our existing products, and we will provide support and critical updates to our users. However, as we’ll be busy with new projects at Google, we do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps.

But I'm sure it'll end up in the gmail app....:rolleyes: Just take the Sparrow app, put on push notifications, update the Gmail iOS app. Done deal.

kent909
Jul 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
Just in time. Now that Apple has announced free iCloud email accounts I will be phasing out my gmail account. Once again now that the advantage of Gmail is gone, someone spends a bunch of money to exploit it. Yea Google!

Razeus
Jul 20, 2012, 01:17 PM
Just in time. Now that Apple has announced free iCloud email accounts I will be phasing out my gmail account. Once again now that the advantage of Gmail is gone, someone spends a bunch of money to exploit it. Yea Google!

I wouldn't trust Apple to be my primary email provider. Gmail is way more reliable and has way more features. Apple seems to change their email strategy on whims.

charlesdayton
Jul 20, 2012, 01:20 PM
Most probably this is the end for Sparrow.

Recently Gogle acquired Meebo (a popular cloud multi IM client) and just killed the service completely.

rjohnstone
Jul 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
It's pretty telling when Google has to buy a 3rd-party mail app. They have no idea how to create an intuitive user experience on mobile, even with the thousands of employees they have. Pretty sad.
Wow... just wow.

Let me try this on you...
It's pretty telling when Apple has to buy a 3rd-party voice control app (Siri). They have no idea how to create an intuitive user experience on mobile, even with the thousands of employees they have. Pretty sad.

The hypocrisy around here is nauseating at times. :rolleyes:

nanotlj
Jul 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
And Facebook just bought Pulp developer, Acrylic software.

http://www.cultofmac.com/179967/facebook-buys-acrylic-software-a-gorgeous-mac-and-ios-app-maker/

subsonix
Jul 20, 2012, 01:24 PM
So what's wrong with Mail?

dukebound85
Jul 20, 2012, 01:24 PM
Wow, first Mozilla announces no more Thunderbird, and now this? I don't use either, but having a choice was nice.

I looked into that and i didn't find anything satin no more thunderbird. Seems like it will be more open source updates

John.B
Jul 20, 2012, 01:25 PM
The Sparrow team has always put their users first by focusing on building a seamlessly simple and intuitive interface for their email client. We look forward to bringing them aboard the Gmail team, where they'll be working on new projects.

I read this as Google saying they will kill the Sparrow OSX/iOS apps and reassign any employees elsewhere.

Razeus
Jul 20, 2012, 01:25 PM
What's the alternative to Sparrow? Since it won't get push notifications or other updates ever, I have to get rid of it (and probably should have a long time ago, but I loved the style of the app). Perhaps once, the Gmail app gets Sparrow's code, I'll use the GMail app, but for now, I need an alternative. Suggestions?

MagnusVonMagnum
Jul 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
Leca also said that Sparrow's products will continue to be made available with "support and critical updates", but Sparrow does not plan to release new features.

Do I take that to mean Google bought them just to put them out of business so they no longer offer any competition to Gmail? That sort of thing should be illegal, IMO. Buying out the competition instead of competing with them is just as bad as trying to sue the competition to death. The consumer gets screwed and Google gets richer. :rolleyes:

ppc_michael
Jul 20, 2012, 01:28 PM
There was a time not too long ago when those who frequented the MacRumors forum would get all creamy when they thought about Apple and Google joining forces. Then Steve Jobs said something snarky about them and the masses "turned" on Google (while still using Google Search, Gmail, and maybe even Chrome) because their Dear Leader hinted at it.

I just think you're all very silly.

ct2k7
Jul 20, 2012, 01:28 PM
But I'm sure it'll end up in the gmail app....:rolleyes: Just take the Sparrow app, put on push notifications, update the Gmail iOS app. Done deal.

I'd rather not see that. Also, I use other accounts with the iOS Sparrow app - not that I can do this with the GMail app.

not a done deal, just broken everything else but what I use with Google.

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 01:29 PM
I imagine Google is going to release Sparrow as the Gmail client and their new Map app alongside Apple's iOS 6 release. Wonder what else they have up their sleeve?

MacDawg
Jul 20, 2012, 01:29 PM
I used Sparrow for a while
It was kinda nice, but went back to Mail
I have no problems using Apple Mail, even with my Gmail

Hopefully Google will benefit from the new blood in their system
I love my Apple products, but I love my Google products as well

bedifferent
Jul 20, 2012, 01:30 PM
**** it! Why can't I make an app that gets bought out for millions?! Instagram, now Sparrow. Pfft. :p

[So this will mean Google will use Sparrow as its Gmail client replacement for their devices?]

JP89Hornet
Jul 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
So sad... Sparrow was my favorite email client... Both on Mac and on iPhone. I had hoped they would push apple to allow users to select alternative default email and browser apps, an iPad client, and mainly push notifications.

twosee
Jul 20, 2012, 01:35 PM
For me, the reason I mainly use Apple's products over Google are the differences between Google's and Apple's business strategies. We are not Googleís Customers, we are a product to them. They track our usage and our habits in order to sell advertisements. Thatís why they give everything away. The truth is they donít really care about you, they care about their advertisers. Thatís where their business comes from. Thatís why they push out a product go get users and often abandon them. And thatís fine, itís their business model. I use their search and I use gmail for my non-personal mail. Their search is by far the best out there, and Gmail is not horrible. But look other products; Google Plus, google wave, froogle, coupons, iGoogle (which they are killing off). Even Android; According to Google's own statistics, close to 90% of android users arenít even on Ice Cream Sandwich, and they just pushed out Jelly Bean. With Apple on the other hand, WE are their customers, thatís why we pay for what we use, and they look to make sure we have a great product. They may not always accomplish that, but at least I feel they care (somewhat) about me and my apple products.

Apple customers are the people who buy their products, Googles are the advertisers, not you.

hayesk
Jul 20, 2012, 01:35 PM

Remember that Sparrow can connect to other IMAP servers - some servers that Apple's mail client has trouble with. I can't use my work's IMAP server with the iOS mail app, but it works in Sparrow. Sorry to see it go.

Razeus
Jul 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
Well, I'm back to the Mail app. Not as pretty as the Sparrow app, but at least Mail does push notifications and handles multiple email providers just as well.

pubwvj
Jul 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
...and thanks for all the fish.

That sounded distinctly like a "good by suckers" message from Sparrow.

Bickity
Jul 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
Sellouts! Now they will be stuck making "betaware".

ct2k7
Jul 20, 2012, 01:38 PM
So, if this can be made.....

http://www.vanschneider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mail2.jpg

http://www.vanschneider.com/work/mail/

:D:D:D

kmpoboy2
Jul 20, 2012, 01:38 PM
There was a time not too long ago when those who frequented the MacRumors forum would get all creamy when they thought about Apple and Google joining forces. Then Steve Jobs said something snarky about them and the masses "turned" on Google (while still using Google Search, Gmail, and maybe even Chrome) because their Dear Leader hinted at it.

I have no problem with Google buying sparrow other than it just killed both apps.

I thinks its good that google appreciated their talent but, it sucks for us users that the app just got killed by it.

Razeus
Jul 20, 2012, 01:39 PM
And to think I almost bought the Mac app a few days ago when it was on sale. :mad:

ct2k7
Jul 20, 2012, 01:39 PM
And to think I almost bought the Mac app a few days ago when it was on sale. :mad:

It's the Mac app I'll be missing, I just can't go back to Mail.app - because it simply doesn't work for me, in terms of simplicity.

Curmudgeon3
Jul 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
Meh, I could care less. I downloaded Sparrow and immediately found it chewing through an inordinate amount of processor usage. I'm using Mail to connect to a work Exchange account, Gmail, and two other IMAP accounts and it *still* taxes my machine less than the "lightweight" Sparrow. Oh, and using Sparrow I can see about ten messages listed on my screen without scrolling, vs. three times that may with Mail or Gmail's web interface. Sorry, but I just don't get the hype about Sparrow.

TLewis
Jul 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
What's the alternative to Sparrow? Since it won't get push notifications or other updates ever, I have to get rid of it (and probably should have a long time ago, but I loved the style of the app). Perhaps once, the Gmail app gets Sparrow's code, I'll use the GMail app, but for now, I need an alternative. Suggestions?
It's boring, and not pretty, but the non-free postbox (http://www.postbox-inc.com/) (based upon Thunderbird and currently on sale for US$10) seems to have all of the major features of sparrow and more:

Conversation view
Support for facebook, twitter, and linkedin.
Support for gmail labels
Support for gmail archiving. You can even "archive" IMAP accounts, where "archived" messages get refiled to a specified folder.
Can send attachments via dropbox links.
Support for omnifocus, evernote, things, and growl.
Quick replies
Can view only images in a folder.
One addon gives you access to a calendar, and another addon syncs the calendar with google calendar.

If you're a power user, postbox is it.

WordMasterRice
Jul 20, 2012, 01:41 PM

The developers acted like any rational person would. Apple has no technical reason to not allow Sparrow to act on the VOIP API other than they simply didn't want Sparrow around.

Second, Google is in a position to offer push for gmail accounts, not email accounts in general. Sparrow was an IMAP client, not a gmail client.

rmwebs
Jul 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
For me, the reason I mainly use Apple's products over Google are the differences between Google's and Apple's business strategies. We are not Googleís Customers, we are a product to them. They track our usage and our habits in order to sell advertisements. Thatís why they give everything away. The truth is they donít really care about you, they care about their advertisers. Thatís where their business comes from. Thatís why they push out a product go get users and often abandon them. And thatís fine, itís their business model. I use their search and I use gmail for my non-personal mail. Their search is by far the best out there, and Gmail is not horrible. But look other products; Google Plus, google wave, froogle, coupons, iGoogle (which they are killing off). Even Android; According to Google's own statistics, close to 90% of android users arenít even on Ice Cream Sandwich, and they just pushed out Jelly Bean. With Apple on the other hand, WE are their customers, thatís why we pay for what we use, and they look to make sure we have a great product. They may not always accomplish that, but at least I feel they care (somewhat) about me and my apple products.

Apple customers are the people who buy their products, Googles are the advertisers, not you.

What a load of old tosh. Apple care about money. So does Google and every other big corp...they really couldn't give a rats ass about the customer, they just want a positive brand image as that generates more income.

As for Google killing off products I really dont think you can use that as an argument given how Apple is notorious for failed web-based ventures which result in them being closed due to Apple's inability to successfully build and/or run web applications that last more than a couple of years. Ping, .Mac, Mobile Me, and most likely iCloud in a year or two.

Dont paint Google to be any worse than Apple here, as they really aren't. They are both big corporations, both with a lot of money and are both only interested in more money. It really is as simple as that.

(Happy Mac user and Gmail user but not hopelessly drooling over either company)

uknowimright
Jul 20, 2012, 01:45 PM

the only part of you Apple (and pretty much all corporations) cares about is your money

Flitzy
Jul 20, 2012, 01:46 PM

Never liked Google.

They became arrogant long before that Steve Jobs quote.

because Mail.app is an absolute catastrophe when it comes to handling gmail.... Sparrow did Gmail perfectly.

Have you even used it? I never had a problem with it (nor did anyone I know that uses Gmail + Mail.app).

twosee
Jul 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
the only part of you Apple (and pretty much all corporations) cares about is your money

Yes, but it's MY money they care about, that's why they work on making a product that benefits ME, not the advertisers.

nlr
Jul 20, 2012, 01:51 PM
This is brilliant news IMO now android will have a great mail client which will make apple compete hopefully :)

:apple:

ct2k7
Jul 20, 2012, 01:51 PM
This is brilliant news IMO now android will have a great mail client which will make apple compete hopefully :)

:apple:

Apple had their chance to improve Mail in OS X 10.8 and iOS 6. I don't think they will. I haven't seen anything as simple as Sparrow on the market for OS X.

Ap0ks
Jul 20, 2012, 01:52 PM
And Facebook just bought Pulp developer, Acrylic software.

http://www.cultofmac.com/179967/facebook-buys-acrylic-software-a-gorgeous-mac-and-ios-app-maker/Is the world ending or is it just me...

First Sparrow and then Pulp, when will it end :'(

gotluck
Jul 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
Never liked Google.

Have you even used it? I never had a problem with it (nor did anyone I know that uses Gmail + Mail.app).

And Apple's sense of 'we know whats best for you so we offer no choices' doesn't come off as arrogant either?

I wish apple and google would cooperate more - I am one of those people.

----------

Yes, but it's MY money they care about, that's why they work on making a product that benefits ME, not the advertisers.

Well, google cares about your money too. They just want you to buy their customer's products. Different roads can lead to the same place.

twosee
Jul 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
What a load of old tosh. Apple care about money. So does Google and every other big corp...they really couldn't give a rats ass about the customer, they just want a positive brand image as that generates more income.

As for Google killing off products I really dont think you can use that as an argument given how Apple is notorious for failed web-based ventures which result in them being closed due to Apple's inability to successfully build and/or run web applications that last more than a couple of years. Ping, .Mac, Mobile Me, and most likely iCloud in a year or two.

Dont paint Google to be any worse than Apple here, as they really aren't. They are both big corporations, both with a lot of money and are both only interested in more money. It really is as simple as that.

(Happy Mac user and Gmail user but not hopelessly drooling over either company)

you are absolutely correct, they both care only about money. But there is a major difference and that's WHERE they get their money from. Apple's customers are the end users, therefore in order for them to succeed (and make lots of money) they need to keep the consumer happy. Whereas Google needs to keep the advertisers happy. I'm not knocking Google's practices, it's that same practice that has made their search engine light years ahead of yahoo and bing. But as far as consumer products, in my opinion, Apple does a better job of satisfying the user.

John.B
Jul 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
I read this as Google saying they will kill the Sparrow OSX/iOS apps and reassign any employees elsewhere.

Yup.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/20/3172222/google-buys-sparrow-mail

BaldiMac
Jul 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
And Apple's sense of 'we know whats best for you so we offer no choices' doesn't come off as arrogant either?

The fact that you think it's all about "you" comes off as arrogant as well. :D

Apple designs the best products it can and offers them for sale. You are offered the choice to buy them or not. This strategy appears to be working.

daneoni
Jul 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
Apparently they cashed in for somewhere around $25million. Have i been spoilt or does that seem low for a 5-person team to share? I suppose they get some Google stock too...

efrank772
Jul 20, 2012, 01:58 PM
I have the Sparrow app and -no push notifications its a great app with a clean and easy to use interface. I also have the Gmail app, and I must say, not that great. It is kind of slow, not clean or easy to use and is not my first choice to send an email with. I hope that with this acquisition that the Gmail app for iOS gets a nice upgrade.

John.B
Jul 20, 2012, 02:00 PM
I think Steve Jobs said Google stole the iPhone concept, lock-stock-and-barrel, based on Eric Schmidt having access to prototypes as a member of Apple's Board of Directors. I think most Apple users recognized the truth to that.

I think you're deluding yourself.

uknowimright
Jul 20, 2012, 02:02 PM
Never liked Google.

usually when the word "arrogant" and Steve Jobs are mentioned in the same sentence it isn't structured like this

----------

I think Steve Jobs said Google stole the iPhone concept, lock-stock-and-barrel, based on Eric Schmidt having access to prototypes as a member of Apple's Board of Directors. I think most Apple users recognized the truth to that.

I think you're deluding yourself.

so where is the lawsuit against Schmidt?

WordMasterRice
Jul 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
The fact that you think it's all about "you" comes off as arrogant as well. :D

Apple designs the best products it can and offers them for sale. You are offered the choice to buy them or not. This strategy appears to be working.

Why is it an all or nothing proposition? Apple makes a great piece of hardware in the iPhone, they make a pretty good OS in iOS but they make a really ****** mail app. I don't understand why I have to give up an entire platform because they can't allow you to choose a better mail app. I'll live with it but that doesn't make it good.

zedsdead
Jul 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
Does sparrow allow group emailing (huge and necessary feature still missing from ios).

BaldiMac
Jul 20, 2012, 02:06 PM
Why is it an all or nothing proposition? Apple makes a great piece of hardware in the iPhone, they make a pretty good OS in iOS but they make a really ****** mail app. I don't understand why I have to give up an entire platform because they can't allow you to choose a better mail app. I'll live with it but that doesn't make it good.

I understand the issue. We'd all like to change a few things outside our control. :)

The obvious answer is "Because that's the product that Apple chooses to offer."

gotluck
Jul 20, 2012, 02:10 PM
I understand the issue. We'd all like to change a few things outside our control. :)

The obvious answer is "Because that's the product that Apple chooses to offer."

Well praise the jailbreaks, because without them I wouldn't be on iOS. iOS with no walled garden / silly restrictions is truly the supreme mobile OS.

chrmjenkins
Jul 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
Congrats to those lot.

Apple seems to like to acquire to develop new competencies, not strengthen their current competencies. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but that's my general observation.

John.B
Jul 20, 2012, 02:12 PM
so where is the lawsuit against Schmidt?
The way the system works, companies can sue to ban hardware imports with infringing content. Unfortunately for Google's partners, that makes them the target. OTOH, they knew that when they hitched their wagons to Google's train. And I'm sure their business models account for that eventuality.

Dammit Cubs
Jul 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
....and I just bought the app for Mac OS. ....W T F

Jul 20, 2012, 02:16 PM
....and I just bought the app for Mac OS. ....W T F

Expect lifelong updates now that Google is in charge!!! :D

nanotlj
Jul 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
Let's see how long Flipboard can stick around before getting acquired. Like it or not, money is central to business.

growlf
Jul 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
Apple does it as often as Google. Google forced everyone onto Google+, Apple tried to get everyone to use Ping.

Apple does it as often as Google? Who's entire business is collecting customer data for marketing purposes? Who serves billions of Internet searches every day? Furthermore, Apple uses it (LIKE EVERY OTHER COMPANY) to sell you THEIR PRODUCTS, not to market crap from whomever is paying them the most.

This is Google's *business*. If you're fine with it, good for you. Many of us aren't.

I find it extremely disconcerting that ONE company, using non-public, proprietary methods, determines what the majority of the Internet population considers "fact" or the most relevant information.

Siri, when doing searches, gives you the provider of the information so you can at least tell where the data is coming from. Search Google and you have no idea how you're getting the results you get.

A few years ago at the I/O conference Google stated that they entered the market with Android so one company wouldn't determine the future. Google is now obviously that company. They are the very definition of "big brother" and the fact that so many people blindly thing that's okay... makes me shudder.

Mad-B-One
Jul 20, 2012, 02:22 PM
...for another - hopefully successful - startup. So, if there are some talented programers reading and are tempted and look for ideas: Here is my wish list for iOS mail clients:

- get me a reliable spamfilter
- get easy folders for email addresses
- get an easy-to-choose sender choice
- for deleting, make sure you ask if deleted from device or server

I'm sure there are some other fancy ideas out there to add to this list. The reason I want that is that I use a free email address and don't want to have a server-based spam filter. I would have to log on and check the spam box since sometimes real mail gets in there. Too much work. Switching from folder view to all mail inbox view like in the native client isn't a bad feature and I would hate to not have it. Same with "send from." The deleting issue is pretty self-explanatory: If I use my iPad to go through my mail and deem something "spam," I want that this deletes it also from my iPhone and doesn't even show up on my home computer when I start that one up. This way, I don't stumble over spam 3x.

Anybody starting the code already? :D

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 02:22 PM
Apple does it as often as Google? Who's entire business is collecting customer data for marketing purposes? Who serves billions of Internet searches every day? Furthermore, Apple uses it (LIKE EVERY OTHER COMPANY) to sell you THEIR PRODUCTS, not to market crap from whomever is paying them the most.

This is Google's *business*. If you're fine with it, good for you. Many of us aren't.

I find it extremely disconcerting that ONE company, using non-public, proprietary methods, determines what the majority of the Internet population considers "fact" or the most relevant information.

Siri, when doing searches, gives you the provider of the information so you can at least tell where the data is coming from. Search Google and you have no idea how you're getting the results you get.

A few years ago at the I/O conference Google stated that they entered the market with Android so one company wouldn't determine the future. Google is now obviously that company. They are the very definition of "big brother" and the fact that so many people blindly thing that's okay... makes me shudder.

So you don't use Google? For anything?

miles01110
Jul 20, 2012, 02:25 PM
So you don't use Google? For anything?

Like every other Google-hater, he probably uses it just as much as anyone else. If you don't want to find what you are looking for, use Bing. Otherwise just don't click on any of Google's ads, or block them. Not that difficult.

gotluck

Am I missing something, google's source would be the url that shows up under the link? Bing and yahoo exist too you know, but they are collecting your information as well.

JoEw
so in other words sparrow sold out.. google gave them an offer that could not be refused. Money talks.

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
Like every other Google-hater, he probably uses it just as much as anyone else. If you don't want to find what you are looking for, use Bing. Otherwise just don't click on any of Google's ads, or block them. Not that difficult.

Well stated.

Remember when people didn't hate Google? When they were innovative and doing cool things? Now that they are so successful we can hate them? But ... that sounds like the story of Apple since 1995. But we love Apple. So conflicted right now. When is it going to be cool to hate Apple? I mean ... they are pretty darn successful. I think?

twosee
Jul 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
Apple does it as often as Google. Google forced everyone onto Google+, Apple tried to get everyone to use Ping.

Ping is nowhere near as bad as google plus. I used to use Gmail to communicate via email. I'm not a 16 year old kid yet they forced this social networking product on me, not by choice. Next thing I knew people were adding me to their circles, wanting to "hang out"... if I want that, I'll sign up for Facebook, or google's own product on my own. Don't convert my existing email to your product to falsely tout your "success" in the social marketplace.

gotluck
Jul 20, 2012, 02:34 PM
Ping is nowhere near as bad as google plus. I used to use Gmail to communicate via email. I'm not a 16 year old kid yet they forced this social networking product on me, not by choice. Next thing I knew people were adding me to their circles, wanting to "hang out"... if I want that, I'll sign up for Facebook, or google's own product on my own. Don't convert my existing email to your product to falsely tout your "success" in the social marketplace.

I've never had this issue, I said no to the google plus prompt.

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 02:34 PM

So you've quit Google? Completely?

growlf
Jul 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
Am I missing something, google's source would be the url that shows up under the link? Bing and yahoo exist too you know, but they are collecting your information as well.

Yes, you are missing something. How did Google arrive at the decision to serve to that link?

Please let me know.

And YES, I use Google for search but little else. I'm not logged into any Google accounts when I do it, so my exposure is at least somewhat limited. I occasionally try Bing, but don't think much of it.

All of you non-Google-haters really seem to be missing the point here. Do you REALLY think it's okay for one company to have that level of control over everything you do? THAT is the point. I would LOVE to use a different search engine if there was room in the market for one to emerge and compete. It sure doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about supporting a company that makes money marketing to whomever pays them.

Seriously people... a marketing company? And you're ALL good with that?

uknowimright
Jul 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
Do you REALLY think it's okay for one company to have that level of control over everything you do?

wait are you still talking about Google or moved on to describing Apple?

twosee
Jul 20, 2012, 02:40 PM

No I haven't. I'm not, as you label people, a "fanboy". I still use their search. It's still the best out there. I've limited my Gmail usage to non-personal email such as when I sign up for a service I may receive spam from. But what I am now is more conscious about using any of their other products and look for a better alternative first, which I usually can find.

gotluck
Jul 20, 2012, 02:41 PM
Yes, you are missing something. How did Google arrive at the decision to serve to that link?

Please let me know.

And YES, I use Google for search but little else. I'm not logged into any Google accounts when I do it, so my exposure is at least somewhat limited. I occasionally try Bing, but don't think much of it.

All of you non-Google-haters really seem to be missing the point here. Do you REALLY think it's okay for one company to have that level of control over everything you do? THAT is the point. I would LOVE to use a different search engine if there was room in the market for one to emerge and compete. It sure doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about supporting a company that makes money marketing to whomever pays them.

Google typically has the most relevant search results at the top, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular. I browse with an adblocker so I don't even see the ads or sponsored links. I would prefer that google played middle man and sell advertisement slots to companies rather than all those respective companies having the raw information which would allow for a greater chance of security breach and further dissemination of information.

It's more of a lesser of two evils thing. The only way a search provider could avoid this is by paid search services.

That or you could avoid searching and just use URL's, but as mentioned previously in this thread Google Analytics will likely get you there too.

growlf
Jul 20, 2012, 02:43 PM

I'm sorry, this isn't an either/or proposition. You can begrudgingly use something because there are no other acceptable choices. Google controls the search engine market. It is very difficult for companies to compete against Google in its chosen markets since it gives away most of its products.

As someone else said, you aren't Google's customer. Advertisers are. You are Google's product.

----------

wait are you still talking about Google or moved on to describing Apple?

What exactly does Apple control?

Rogifan
Jul 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
Why can't Apple just make a better mail app? I'd love to know what's so hard about it.

ct2k7
Jul 20, 2012, 02:48 PM
Why can't Apple just make a better mail app? I'd love to know what's so hard about it.

Good question.. I mean, whywon't they?

growlf
Jul 20, 2012, 02:48 PM
Google typically has the most relevant search results at the top, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular.

Who gets to determine what is relevant at Google? Who gets to determine what information should never show up in search results?

There's a lot of blind faith being placed in our information overlords. But yeah, they've got the market locked up tight... it'll be interesting to see if anyone can dethrone them in the next decade.

gotluck
Jul 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
Who gets to determine what is relevant at Google? Who gets to determine what information should never show up in search results?

There's a lot of blind faith being placed in our information overlords. But yeah, they've got the market locked up tight... it'll be interesting to see if anyone can dethrone them in the next decade.

Does it really matter? If you don't like the source (URL) keep scrolling until you find a source you find adequate. Ironically enough, if many people do this - the result will move closer to the top.

twosee
Jul 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
I laugh at all the Google followers who love to take shots at the Apple users, calling them fanboys and poke fun of their "walled gardens" when in reality, they are the ones being "led on" by Google. Their entire OS is one big walled garden. If you want the latest androidOS, you have to buy a Nexus phone (walled garden). If not, you have to wait in line until your manufacturer says you can get it while you watch others use it freely. They don't care that 89% of Android users don't even have ICS yet and they are pushing out the Jellybean. They put out a fragmented product and don't care who does what with it.

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 02:56 PM

Do you ever sit back and wonder if you're over-thinking all of this? I get it, there are security issues that may emerge, but with this type of attitude you end up with a tinfoil hat on.

If my buddy emails me about going to do something on July 22nd and Google suggests adding it to my calendar to remind me - great. No problems there. If Google reads my email and see's that I'm talking about real estate and they present a link to real estate, who cares? I use Google Chrome with minimalist to never see that ad. Google seems okay with me using that extension on their browser.

Perhaps they favor innovation more than marketing.

No I haven't. I'm not, as you label people, a "fanboy". I still use their search. It's still the best out there. I've limited my Gmail usage to non-personal email such as when I sign up for a service I may receive spam from. But what I am now is more conscious about using any of their other products and look for a better alternative first, which I usually can find.

I was talking about Apple fanboys, not Google fanboys. But you, and everyone else here, is using Google. Maybe not every product they offer, but you are using their bread and butter - search. It all started with search.

I'm sorry, this isn't an either/or proposition. You can begrudgingly use something because there are no other acceptable choices. Google controls the search engine market. It is very difficult for companies to compete against Google in its chosen markets since it gives away most of its products.

As someone else said, you aren't Google's customer. Advertisers are. You are Google's product.

----------

What exactly does Apple control?

You don't have to use Google Search. A small company out of Redmond has a search site. Check it out sometime.

twosee
Jul 20, 2012, 02:58 PM

I don't know. maybe they want to use their resources elsewhere. They obviously don't care about controlling every part of your experience as others do. Maybe they don't care if you use Sparrow of Outlook or Thunderbird. Maybe they really don't try to keep you "walled in" as people believe.

gotluck
Jul 20, 2012, 02:59 PM
I laugh at all the Google followers who love to take shots at the Apple users, calling them fanboys and poke fun of their "walled gardens" when in reality, they are the ones being "led on" by Google. Their entire OS is one big walled garden. If you want the latest androidOS, you have to buy a Nexus phone (walled garden). If not, you have to wait in line until your manufacturer says you can get it while you watch others use it freely. They don't care that 89% of Android users don't even have ICS yet and they are pushing out the Jellybean. They put out a fragmented product and don't care who does what with it.

I don't believe you understand the premise of a walled garden. Android has a checkbox that allows 3rd party apps to be installed - no walled garden. You're even free to install custom versions of Android (ie. unofficial upgrades) on many devices (I'm not saying android is better, I prefer jailbroken iOS). iOS apps can only be downloaded/installed through Apple's Store = walled garden.

twosee
Jul 20, 2012, 03:10 PM
I was talking about Apple fanboys, not Google fanboys. But you, and everyone else here, is using Google. Maybe not every product they offer, but you are using their bread and butter - search. It all started with search.

You don't have to use Google Search. A small company out of Redmond has a search site. Check it out sometime.

Why does it shock you that us Apple users are using a Google product? I also use Microsoft products and others. we aren't as close-minded as you are led to believe. As someone said, it's not all or nothing.

----------

I don't believe you understand the premise of a walled garden. Android has a checkbox that allows 3rd party apps to be installed - no walled garden. You're even free to install custom versions of Android (ie. unofficial upgrades) on many devices (I'm not saying android is better, I prefer jailbroken iOS). iOS apps can only be downloaded/installed through Apple's Store = walled garden.

Although I disagree with your assessment of apples walled garden (I can purchase a developer license and install whatever app I want on my own phone and 99 others bypassing apples app store). But to install custom versions of android, and your own apps (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an android user) don't you need to root your phone, which in essence is the same as jailbreaking an iPhone? If not then why is only like 11% of the android population on ICS and above?

growlf
Jul 20, 2012, 03:11 PM
Do you ever sit back and wonder if you're over-thinking all of this? I get it, there are security issues that may emerge, but with this type of attitude you end up with a tinfoil hat on.

Perhaps they favor innovation more than marketing.

Well, since they make their money marketing, that's probably not the case. You might say they are innovating the process of marketing.

As for the tin foil hat? I don't sit up at night thinking about this. At all. I, in general, despise Google's product interfaces and have never understood how people sit and look at gmail. Eck. Even without the marketing angle, I really wouldn't even bother to look their direction beyond feeling an obligation to at least "try" some of their products.

I just tried printing from Chrome today and got the "Google" print dialog. Eck.

Bought a Dell streak 2 years ago. Eck.

Regardless, I am still bothered that a marketing company, of all things, garners any respect.

It's dated, I know, but:

https://www.privacyinternational.org/reports/a-race-to-the-bottom-privacy-ranking-of-internet-service-companies/why-google

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 03:12 PM
Why does it shock you that us Apple users are using a Google product? I also use Microsoft products and others. we aren't as close-minded as you are led to believe. As someone said, it's not all or nothing.

You are putting words in my mouth. Perhaps go back and read everything I've said in this thread. I believe I've been pretty consistent.

mstrmac
Jul 20, 2012, 03:14 PM
Great app for the mac or pc. The powers that be are tracking every move you make online. Eliminate google from your life too.
http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php?

Oletros
Jul 20, 2012, 03:14 PM

Steve Jobs never ever accused Eric Schmidt of nothing.

----------

You don't have very clear the "walled garden" definition

ELMI0001
Jul 20, 2012, 03:15 PM
Well, since they make their money marketing, that's probably not the case. You might say they are innovating the process of marketing.

As for the tin foil hat? I don't sit up at night thinking about this. At all. I, in general, despise Google's product interfaces and have never understood how people sit and look at gmail. Eck. Even without the marketing angle, I really wouldn't even bother to look their direction beyond feeling an obligation to at least "try" some of their products.

I just tried printing from Chrome today and got the "Google" print dialog. Eck.

Bought a Dell streak 2 years ago. Eck.

Regardless, I am still bothered that a marketing company, of all things, garners any respect.

It's dated, I know, but:

https://www.privacyinternational.org/reports/a-race-to-the-bottom-privacy-ranking-of-internet-service-companies/why-google

That's a good read, thank you for the link.

For me, the conversation view in Gmail won me over in 2005 or whenever I started using it. The look of it is ... blah, but then again, I mostly use Mail.app to use it.

I don't mind Chrome with some extensions. I think it has more to do with using a PC at work and for whatever reason Firefox hasn't seemed right for a while and Safari is pretty brutal on Windows 7 so I just go with Chrome at work.

Oletros
Jul 20, 2012, 03:17 PM
But to install custom versions of android, and your own apps (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an android user) don't you need to root your phone, which in essence is the same as jailbreaking an iPhone?

You don't have to be root to install applications not from Google Play and you don't have to be root to install other OS versions

Rogifan
Jul 20, 2012, 03:18 PM
Good question.. I mean, whywon't they?

Boggles the mind. I mean could they at least give us a select all option? Often times I have a lot of junk email I want to trash. Having to select each one individually vs having a select all checkbox that would select them all for you is so annoying.

gotluck
Jul 20, 2012, 03:19 PM
Although I disagree with your assessment of apples walled garden (I can purchase a developer license and install whatever app I want on my own phone and 99 others bypassing apples app store). But to install custom versions of android, and your own apps (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an android user) don't you need to root your phone, which in essence is the same as jailbreaking an iPhone? If not then why is only like 11% of the android population on ICS and above?

I believe whether or not you can install 3rd party apps is the common definition for 'walled garden', or at least so I've read.

On android, the 3rd party app checkbox does not require a root, its just in regular settings afaik. In order to install custom versions of android I believe a root is required. I only have experience with my hp touchpad as an android device on ICS, which i believe would qualify as rooted. There's already videos of Jelly Bean on it, if the user cares enough - there is likely a way to upgrade many android devices (granted touchpad android development seems to move quickly).

Swift
Jul 20, 2012, 03:20 PM
See the Verge. No new features for iOS, just bug fixes. New features on Android, presumably.

Rogifan
Jul 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
I don't know. maybe they want to use their resources elsewhere. They obviously don't care about controlling every part of your experience as others do. Maybe they don't care if you use Sparrow of Outlook or Thunderbird. Maybe they really don't try to keep you "walled in" as people believe.

Hey I just think Apple's mail app could be better. Obviously they disagree and are putting their resources elsewhere. If its on improving Siri then I'll forgive them. :D