Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MusicMaverick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
I'm getting ready to sell my Mac Mini. I tried to wipe and reinstall the system, but didn't have a disc anymore. So I tried to use a disk image from my MacBook Pro and connect it via firewire to the MacMini. Well, I did something wrong, and apparently reformatted the macmini to just be the Install Disk image. So when you start it up, it looks like it wants to install, but it can't find the disk to install it to because the entire disk IS the install disk image.

I've tried to reboot in Target disc mode but it won't work... What do I do?

PS - I now have an actual install disc, but the mac mini just spits it out on me.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
next time ask first , but I will give it a shot. what year mini is it? if it is a 2010 aluminum you need a 10.6.4 install disk. if it is a 2009 white mac mini you need a 10.6.2 or a 10.6 install disk.

you need the correct disk.

if you had not killed the working osx i would have had you clone it to a usb disk then boot with the usb disk and reformat the internal drive with the external osx.

now it is a bit harder since i don't know if you have the correct install disk , even if it is the right disk I don't know if the dvd player in the mini is good and i don't know if the disk is damaged .

do you have a wired usb mouse and a wired keyboard? or are they wireless?

if they are wireless it is harder to fix.

If you have the 2010 I can help.

if you have the 2009 I don't have one anymore.

Last edited:

MusicMaverick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
I've done this before, but its been so long, I forgot... tried to find instructions online, but obviously they were wrong... Its a Mac Mini from 2006. 1.66..

Anyways, if you can help, I would sincerly appreciate it.

The disc I have is a 10.6.2. I have a wired keyboard and a USB wireless mouse.

I've tried connecting it to my MacBook Pro with a firewire cable and start in target mode, but it won't take... Holding down T does nothing, (It DID work, and that's how I got myself into this mess. I reformatted the HD using Disk Utility from my MBP) and if I try to restart in a specific mode, Target Mode is not an option...

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
yeah it is a 2006

tiger was the stock osx.

I had a 2006 with tiger and changed it to leopard. I sold it in 08. Try holding the c key when you boot. with the 10.6.2 disk in it. if that does not work try holding the d key. one of them will force it to try the dvd.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
You could always do a clean install of snow leopard on your macbook...then use carbon copy to clone drive to usb stick...then boot mac mini from usb stick and open carbon copy and clone usb stick to mini's harddrive...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.