Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
I'm running Lion. I want to group some of my applications into sub-folders, such as iWork, iLife, Unnecessary Stupid Microsoft Crap, DVD Burning, etc. But I get mixed results with this. Adobe apps don't seem to like it (and Adobe thinks I want a LOT of Adobe icons, holy schmoley!). The iLife apps couldn't be moved, they had to be copied.

What's the deal? Should I just leave this alone?

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The deal is kind of what you are discovering by your tests so far, some apps don't have a problem with it and others do. All you can do is try it out per app and move the app back if it has problems. I know Adobe is notorious for this.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I'd recommend not trying to do that. Too many apps will have problems, including all of Apple's when you try to do updates. If you want some organization, simply make folder and place aliases of the apps in them. That way the originals work and update fine, and you can still have organized folders with the apps you want.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.