PDA

View Full Version : [mobile OSs] iOS 7+

0penCr8
Jul 20, 2012, 08:57 PM
What features do you think Apple will implement in the coming mobile operating systems? Not including iOS 6.

AND

Do you think Android will eventually kill iOS? (Answer in the poll above.)

iDuel
Jul 20, 2012, 09:02 PM
Why kind of question is that? It's like saying "will Windows eventually replace OSX?" Both iOS and Android will coexist in the future no matter which one has the most market share.

0penCr8
Jul 20, 2012, 09:06 PM
Why kind of question is that? It's like saying "will Windows eventually replace OSX?" Both iOS and Android will coexist in the future no matter which one has the most market share.

I disagree with you on that. Both Apple and Google will continue to fight for the title of "most advanced operating system." I think different companies will always try to force the other in to bankruptcy. They cannot coexist. (Unfortunately)

Ay_Zimmy
Jul 20, 2012, 09:08 PM
Can't answer the first one. But android has no chance of beating apple. And watch out for Microsoft in the near futuee

0penCr8
Jul 20, 2012, 09:09 PM
But android has no chance of beating apple.

Why?

animatedude
Jul 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
Nokia will collapse.
Amazon and Facebook will enter the smartphone market.

brendu
Jul 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
I disagree with you on that. Both Apple and Google will continue to fight for the title of "most advanced operating system." I think different companies will always try to force the other in to bankruptcy. They cannot coexist. (Unfortunately)

Are you kidding me? Neither company is going to go bankrupt during the Android and iOS years. They will both live on long past these operating systems. They can and will coexist. It is how the market works. This is a stupid thread.

B777Forevar
Jul 20, 2012, 10:31 PM
No, they will co-exist.

Like the PC world with OS X, W7/8 and Linux it will be the same with the smartphone world (iOS, Android, and WP8)

nuckinfutz
Jul 20, 2012, 10:32 PM

What's so advanced about Android?

Android has ZERO chance of beating Apple and Microsoft. Anyone telling you otherwise has a rectal cranial inversion.

cyks
Jul 20, 2012, 10:49 PM

The previously mentioned battle of "most advanced operating system" going on between OSX vs. Windows has been going on for 2 decades and neither company is close to bankruptcy.

Heck, there are very, very few industries in general where one company beat the other into bankruptcy.

Interstella5555
Jul 20, 2012, 11:18 PM

Just like coke and Pepsi can't coexist? That's an absurd statement.

Technarchy
Jul 20, 2012, 11:41 PM
Why?

Android doesn't make money is why.

When android is selling like 4 billion phones a year, then maybe Apple might be in trouble.

http://mathiasmikkelsen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/profitsshare1.jpg

PlaceofDis
Jul 20, 2012, 11:44 PM

they can't coexist? why not. the Mac OS and Windows and Linux/Unix have all coexisted in the personal computer world so why wouldn't android and iOS both exist in the handheld market? one might do better than the other but that doesn't mean that one has to replace all other OSes.

AFDoc
Jul 21, 2012, 12:07 AM

Do you not live in reality? How many appliance makers, car makers, carpet, furniture, clothes makers are there? As far as I can tell GMC, Ford, Chevy, and other car makers are still producing and selling their product without going away. To say something like you did really shows a lack of how things in the world really work.

I have to assume it's either because of your age (maturity level) or you simply feel the need to make threads that will most likely end in a flame war.

RocketRed
Jul 21, 2012, 12:45 AM
This is a silly topic, and there are more silly replies than rational ones.

In my opinion (I ain't no tech analyst), Android and iOS (hopefully Windows Phone and Blackberry) will both exist until the next big thing after smartphones come out.

There's no reason for one smartphone OS to wipe out another. Even though Blackberry is dying due to the RIM's tardiness, there are still hundreds of users using blackberry phones. I bet you in 10 years someone on this planet will still be using a Blackberry, just like how one of my friends is still using their old nokia from high school.

Deal with it.

Eddie Bombay
Jul 21, 2012, 03:48 AM
I wanna talk about ios13

lannisters4life
Jul 21, 2012, 03:52 AM
What's so advanced about Android?

Android has ZERO chance of beating Apple and Microsoft. Anyone telling you otherwise has a rectal cranial inversion.

This explains everything

iThomas
Jul 21, 2012, 04:27 AM
Android will never replace IOS. IOS is just too known and powerful, and it has too much fanboys to let it die.

daveathall
Jul 21, 2012, 05:13 AM

When android is selling like 4 billion phones a year, then maybe Apple might be in trouble.

Image (http://mathiasmikkelsen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/profitsshare1.jpg)

Have you got a link to where you found that chart please? I would like to read further.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 21, 2012, 06:14 AM
Do you think Android will eventually kill iOS? (Answer in the poll above.)

Apple has a Patent Pending on killing.

Sedrick
Jul 21, 2012, 06:23 AM

'Android' doesn't sell phones, HTC, Samsung, etc. sell phones. Android is free, just like iOS.

iOS doesn't make any money either. The money from both camps comes from hardware sales and licensing fees.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 21, 2012, 06:33 AM
'Android' doesn't sell phones, HTC, Samsung, etc. sell phones. Android is free, just like iOS.

iOS doesn't make any money either. The money from both camps comes from hardware sales and licensing fees.

Apple makes plenty from iOS App store. Also iOS is half the selling point for the iPhone being that it's exclusive to it.

Ay_Zimmy
Jul 21, 2012, 10:53 AM
Why?

Because android doesn't make the same money apple does from it's products.

roadbloc
Jul 21, 2012, 11:06 AM

Image (http://mathiasmikkelsen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/profitsshare1.jpg)

Whereas I recognise your point, it is kind of unrelated. Apple can make the , but they will fall short of 3rd party devs if Android gets used more by the public, thus falling short.

Apple need to play a little bit of catchup to Android atm imo since the showing of iOS 6 and JB 4.1. If they do catch up then all will be fine. If not, users will choose android devices and the rest will follow.

That said, the iOS devices will probably continue to sell well, even if they aren't ahead of their game like they used to be.

nuckinfutz
Jul 21, 2012, 11:34 AM
Whereas I recognise your point, it is kind of unrelated. Apple can make the , but they will fall short of 3rd party devs if Android gets used more by the public, thus falling short.

Apple need to play a little bit of catchup to Android atm imo since the showing of iOS 6 and JB 4.1. If they do catch up then all will be fine. If not, users will choose android devices and the rest will follow.

That said, the iOS devices will probably continue to sell well, even if they aren't ahead of their game like they used to be.

I hope you don't meant catch up with regard to getting sued by multiple large companies. The Oracle law suit was just the beginning.

iOS 6 is more than a worthy challenger to Jelly Bean and like always people are in waiting mode for the next iPhone. On July 24th Apple will beat the street again and get prepared for an outstanding holiday quarter.

As for Android. It's really quite simple. Microsoft and Apple have far more influence than Google. Steve Jobs once said "owning a high volume OS is a license to print money" and he was not wrong. If you control a significant portion of desktops you can leverage that with your mobile strategy and with iCloud Apple is doubling down (heheh)

Android is carrier driven. Which is why they haven't focused on tablets because Verizon, Tmobile and ATT aren't going to focus on selling non subsidized hardware.

ericrwalker
Jul 21, 2012, 11:37 AM
Just like coke and Pepsi can't coexist? That's an absurd statement.

I thought Pepsi won that war in the 90's, do they still sell Coke? :D

mcman77
Jul 22, 2012, 06:09 AM
LOL this is incorrect! maybe you are talking about smart phones because Samsung has sold the most phones the past year! 95million....

wallpaper01
Jul 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
It will be Microsoft and Google competing in the future if iOS does not improve fast!

nuckinfutz
Jul 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
It will be Microsoft and Google competing in the future if iOS does not improve fast!

improve in what ways?

batting1000
Jul 23, 2012, 12:19 PM

Not sure how else it could improve at this point, aside from gimmicky customization features.

nuckinfutz
Jul 23, 2012, 12:25 PM
Not sure how else it could improve at this point, aside from gimmicky customization features.

he/she is not sure either otherwise we would have gotten a list of what needs to be improved.

You can tell the lazy "hit and run" style coming from people that either can't or won't put much brainpower into their opinion.

batting1000
Jul 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
he/she is not sure either otherwise we would have gotten a list of what needs to be improved.

You can tell the lazy "hit and run" style coming from people that either can't or won't put much brainpower into their opinion.

They use the generic set of Apple hate replies.

0penCr8
Jul 23, 2012, 05:32 PM
I have to assume it's either because of your age (maturity level) or you simply feel the need to make threads that will most likely end in a flame war.
I don't think you are in any position to make that call.

mcman77
Jul 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
improve in what ways?

I don't think he even knows what improvements he wants from iOS lol :o

Personally I do see room for improvement though. Android, not sure what route they are taking, will merge or eventually take the role of chrome OS and stand on its own or as a whole. That is happening fast.

The room for improvement that i'd like from iOS is a narrower gap (that IMO is inevitable) with OSX bring you to a more seemless means of computing on a iMac, mbp ipad etc.

It is happening, i'm just impatient and would like it to come faster.

Jb07
Jul 28, 2012, 04:20 PM
Android and iOS aren't going to die anytime soon. Android manufacturers (specifically Samsung) are starting to catch up to Apple in terms of sales numbers and profits.

Apple...
Jul 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
Agreed. Can I have whatever this guy is smoking?

onthecouchagain
Jul 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
I hope to god they finally upgrade the keyboard.

iEvolution
Jul 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
This makes no sense, what do you mean they can't co-exist?

Is there one brand of TVs? No.
Is there one brand of Microwaves? No.
Is there one brand of phone? No.
Is there one company that makes web browsers? No.

Companies can co-exist just fine. So no neither one is going to kill the other in my opinion.

Sven11
Jul 28, 2012, 04:44 PM
I would kill Android if I could.