PDA

View Full Version : New iMessages for 10.7 Lion?

LCN718
Jul 21, 2012, 12:34 AM
I've searched all over so sorry if this has already been answered somewhere.

Will the new iMessages Apple announced for Mountain Lion be exclusively for that upgrade or will it be available for OS X Lion as well, does anyone know?

I can’t see why that wouldn’t be a download from the app store and only exclusive to Mountain Lion. And before anyone says why not just upgrade to Mountain Lion, My MBP is one of the ones Apple cut support to for the new upgrade or I would.

barredfreak
Jul 21, 2012, 12:41 AM
I've never really thought of that. I can't answer your question, but I do know that Apple has a beta of Messages that you can try out on their website, which will work fine in Lion.

LCN718
Jul 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
Well I did not know there was a beta of it but after looking into it you pretty much gave me the answer I was looking for so thank you.

(info I found)

"There’s still a Messages for Mac link at the bottom of Apple’s Downloads page — as you can see below — but again, it just redirects to the Mac OS X page, where a Messages beta cannot be found.

It’s likely that Apple is now happy with how beta testing has gone, and that it has already prepared a final release that will launch alongside Mountain Lion in July.
Apple has not removed the download entirely; however, as it is still accessible via direct download (63.8 MB). It is unknown how long Apple will continue hosting the download, but text strings found within the app earlier this year suggest that the app itself will expire once OS X Mountain Lion is released and Messages will be a Mountain Lion exclusive."

stevemiller
Jul 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
If I had any major gripes with apple as a company this would be it.

When software upgrades are artificially tied to hardware upgrades, it is not only a money grab, in my mind it completely undermines any claims a company can make about being environmentally conscious.

To disable an instant messaging app on a computer and OS on which it is ALREADY able to run, and make the only way to re-enable it involve upgrading to an entirely new computer, is kinda disgusting.

Stonefly
Jul 22, 2012, 02:52 PM
"There’s still a Messages for Mac link at the bottom of Apple’s Downloads page — as you can see below — but again, it just redirects to the Mac OS X page, where a Messages beta cannot be found

Here is a direct link to the beta download CLICK HERE (http://appldnld.apple.com/MessagesBeta/041-4274.20120216.z5km/MessagesBeta.dmg)

Source where I found the link. HERE (http://www.redmondpie.com/download-imessage-app-messages-beta-for-os-x/)