PDA

View Full Version : Retina MacBook Pro Shipping Estimates Improving to 1-2 Weeks

MacRumors
Jul 21, 2012, 02:05 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/21/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-improving-to-1-2-weeks/)

Just a little over a week since shipping estimates for new Retina MacBook Pro orders through Apple's online store saw their first improvement from 3-4 weeks to 2-3 weeks, timeframes have again been reduced. As with the previous improvement, the change has first appeared in Apple's Asia-Pacific markets (http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select), which have seen shipping estimates drop to 1-2 weeks.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/retina_macbook_pro_ship_1_2_weeks_jul21.jpg

Shipping estimates in Apple's other main distribution regions of the Americas and Europe/Middle East/Africa are holding steady at 2-3 weeks for the time being, but they will almost certainly see similar drops to the 1-2 week timeframe in the very near future.

Shipping estimates for the Retina MacBook Pro peaked at 3-4 weeks roughly 36 hours after the models were unveiled at last month's Worldwide Developers Conference, with estimates remaining at that level until last week's drop to 2-3 weeks. Availability at other online and brick-and-mortar retailers is also improving, in many cases beating Apple's online store estimates for stock models, but the company's online store is the primary source for customized orders.

Update: Estimates in Apple's online stores in the Americas have also moved to 1-2 weeks.

Update 2: Apple's European stores have now also seen improvement to 1-2 weeks.

Article Link: Retina MacBook Pro Shipping Estimates Improving to 1-2 Weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/21/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-improving-to-1-2-weeks/)

MultiMediaWill
Jul 21, 2012, 02:09 AM
Ok but where is my iPhone 5?

Jasoco
Jul 21, 2012, 02:10 AM
Sweeeeeeeet!

Anyone know though if Apple Stores carry them pretty well stocked, and if they ever happen to carry 16GB versions of the low-end just for the chance someone might want one?

Jayse
Jul 21, 2012, 02:12 AM
Excellent news for the masses :p

StuLax18
Jul 21, 2012, 02:15 AM
US store is also 1-2 weeks!

JS82712
Jul 21, 2012, 02:15 AM
that's because no one is buying it now

jthivener
Jul 21, 2012, 02:17 AM
Can someone tell me whats wrong with this picture? lol

StuLax18
Jul 21, 2012, 02:21 AM

Not sure what you're getting at. The picture you posted is the US store, and the one in the OP is the Asia store, because the shipping time change first occurred there.

Lancer
Jul 21, 2012, 02:31 AM
Maybe they can start making the new iMac now :D

mrbyu
Jul 21, 2012, 02:36 AM

In the stores my friend, it's called the 4S :D
(*grabs popcorn)

Soccer5se
Jul 21, 2012, 02:43 AM
I've been waiting a week so far (South Korea). My delivery date says July 25th. It would be nice to to get Mountain Lion on the same day!!

MetalMoon
Jul 21, 2012, 02:45 AM
Sweeeeeeeet!

Anyone know though if Apple Stores carry them pretty well stocked, and if they ever happen to carry 16GB versions of the low-end just for the chance someone might want one?

Prob not, if you want more Ram, you'll have to order it BTO online.

kcamfork
Jul 21, 2012, 03:03 AM

You can order right now! Except they named it the iPhone 4S. Were you not informed?

/dev/toaster
Jul 21, 2012, 03:12 AM

No, they are catching up with demand. If no one was buying them, there wouldn't be a delay in ship times.

east85
Jul 21, 2012, 03:19 AM

1. no upgradeable ram
2. glued battery
3. not enough hd space
4. no ethernet or optical drive

MultiMediaWill
Jul 21, 2012, 03:21 AM
You can order right now! Except they named it the iPhone 4S. Were you not informed?

The look on your face when Apple announces the iPhone 5 in october will be priceless.

Pianoblack3
Jul 21, 2012, 03:29 AM
The look on your face when Apple announces the iPhone 5 in october will be priceless.

Considering their move in naming schemes, it would look like it's more likely to be 'The New iPhone'… so pot kettle black :p

mrbyu
Jul 21, 2012, 03:37 AM
Considering their move in naming schemes, it would look like it's more likely to be 'The New iPhone'… so pot kettle black :p

OK, to everyone, to me as well: STOP IT, right NOW! :rolleyes:

Now back to the rMBP shipping time.

MultiMediaWill
Jul 21, 2012, 03:45 AM

Your wrong. No way apple would ever do iPhone again just because the first iPhone was named "iPhone". How would people know the difference between the first iPhone and the iPhone 5?

majkom
Jul 21, 2012, 03:49 AM
Your wrong. No way apple would ever do iPhone again just because the first iPhone was named "iPhone". How would people know the difference between the first iPhone and the iPhone 5?

How do they know between old and new macbook pro 13 inch? :)) or between ipad 1 and ipad 3 ?

MultiMediaWill
Jul 21, 2012, 03:59 AM
How do they know between old and new macbook pro 13 inch? :)) or between ipad 1 and ipad 3 ?

It's different for the lower dissociated hardware. I believe that the iPhone must be numerically named to keeps sales up and confusion down. Example, if Sony named the PS Vita the PSP 2 instead the sales surely would have been greater.

majkom
Jul 21, 2012, 04:02 AM
It's different for the lower dissociated hardware. I believe that the iPhone must be numerically named to keeps sales up and confusion down. Example, if Sony named the PS Vita the PSP 2 instead the sales surely would have been greater.

********, there is no difference between ipad and iphone...

Puevlo
Jul 21, 2012, 04:32 AM
They're probably being replenished with the Macs that people have returned due to the massive display lag.

TheRainKing
Jul 21, 2012, 04:51 AM
If only the price would drop as well. :D

akbarali.ch
Jul 21, 2012, 05:13 AM
1. no upgradeable ram
2. glued battery
3. not enough hd space

iPhone, back in 2007 also had a similar list, only a bit longer!

penajmz
Jul 21, 2012, 05:13 AM
It is so easy to pick one up at a store. I just picked mine up two days ago and I asked the girl who was helping me how many they had. She said they had quite a few of both models. I was a little scared they would be out of stock.

gatortpk
Jul 21, 2012, 05:37 AM
They're probably being replenished with the Macs that people have returned due to the massive display lag.

Display lag?

I understand that CRTs have virtually no lag (nanoseconds) due the the inherent analogue technology (It only has to go through analog circuits, and there is no frame buffer or anyway to process and store the images before displaying, obviously)

LCD displays and their GPUs driving them cause microseconds of lag, but it's still something I've never noticed. I looked up to see if the scalling on the Retina MacBook Pro was causing and additional lag - NO!

Perhaps, you're where talking about the scrolling lag and that the GeForce GT 650M can't handle the 3840x2160p screen scaled to 2880x1800 display when showing a 1920x1200 HiDPI desktop? (Or any HiDPI scaling?) I looked at it, and I was still very impressed, the scrolling was quite good even when video and pictures were still loading on the page while scrolling at the same time!

I have a Radeon HD 4850 in my 27" iMac and the scrolling hasn't been the best even though my desktop GPU scores 6% higher (on Average G3D Mark) than the mobile GeForce GT 650M. I don't know why, but scrolling seems better on the Retina MacBook Pro than on my 27" iMac, and I only have 3.7 MP (Million Pixels), while the Retina MacBook Pro has 5.2 MP and has to do resolution doubling and scaling too.

(Remember, I saw all this with Core Animation in use on Safari 6, if you're using Safari 5.1.7 on Lion, it won't look as good, perhaps there is as much scrolling lag as I used to see on this 27" iMac.)

CmdrLaForge
Jul 21, 2012, 05:51 AM

Unfortunately - you might be right. Friend of mine plans just that. He just holds back to check if ML improves the situation. . . We will find out soon...

Swordylove
Jul 21, 2012, 05:51 AM
At first glimpse before scrolling I thought it was iMac news... pfff.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/swordylove/retina_macbook_pro_ship_1_2_weeks_jul21.jpg

You mean iPhone 4S.

Pianoblack3
Jul 21, 2012, 05:52 AM

Tbh, the iPod's were like this and got on fine… so yeah.

vikpt
Jul 21, 2012, 06:04 AM
13 in retina macbook pro please! :D

ironpony
Jul 21, 2012, 06:16 AM
I really want to wait for the next upgrade. Any guess's on when that may be??

gatortpk
Jul 21, 2012, 06:50 AM
Unfortunately - you might be right. Friend of mine plans just that. He just holds back to check if ML improves the situation. . . We will find out soon...

Core Animation in Safari 6 included in Mountain Lion does makes a major improvement. This improvement is noticeable with every Mac I've seen. My 27" iMac lagged a little with scrolling and now it screams. Now I know what others were saying months ago when they say Mountain Lion screams.

Summersify
Jul 21, 2012, 06:54 AM
Core Animation in Safari 6 included in Mountain Lion does makes a major improvement. This improvement is noticeable with every Mac I've seen. My 27" iMac lagged a little with scrolling and now it screams. Now I know what others were saying months ago when they say Mountain Lion screams.

So Safari in Mountain Lion feels snappier? :D

gatortpk
Jul 21, 2012, 07:08 AM

The hardware updates of the MacBook Pros have been anywhere from 2 to 10 months later. The June releases and then subsequent updates have been in November 2007 in and April 2010 (following June 2007 and June 2009 respectively). The June 2009 to April 2010 was the longest period before updates. Though the short update was really just an added speed bump.

So hopefully a November 2012 Update with a (much) faster GPU, and speed bump will be out before Christmas! Most speed bumps are 8 months away, but it is the first Ivy Bridge, I'd like to see a speed bump in just 5 months.

----------

So Safari in Mountain Lion feels snappier? :D

Big Time, and finally no more of that damned Force Reloading of Pages; "White Flash"!

Thunderhawks
Jul 21, 2012, 07:26 AM

And how does a thermos know when to keep things hot or when to keep things cold?

The world is full of important mysteries!

ScottishDuck
Jul 21, 2012, 07:26 AM
Alternatively walk into the shop and get it same day.

It's never failed me...

Thunderhawks
Jul 21, 2012, 07:28 AM

April 16, 2013

As good a guess as any!

kcamfork
Jul 21, 2012, 07:41 AM

Likewise. When they don't name it iPhone 5.

gnasher729
Jul 21, 2012, 07:42 AM
Display lag?

I understand that CRTs have virtually no lag (nanoseconds) due the the inherent analogue technology (It only has to go through analog circuits, and there is no frame buffer or anyway to process and store the images before displaying, obviously)

LCD displays and their GPUs driving them cause microseconds of lag, but it's still something I've never noticed. I looked up to see if the scalling on the Retina MacBook Pro was causing and additional lag - NO!

People hear these terms and they think they know what it means, and then they use them. Without giving it any thought.

LCD display actually have a lag, between 2 and 20 milliseconds, depending on the goals of the manufacturer. And the longer lag doesn't mean lower quality, it is the opposite actually. For example when you display a movie, the LCD with the longer lag will use the time to prepare the display for the switch to the next image, so the next movie frame will be displayed a little bit later, but the change from one to the next frame will be smoother. Gamers usually prefer the shorter lag, but they give up picture quality for better reaction time.

All that said, most people complaining about "lag" don't have a clue what they are talking about. And lag is a noun, not an adjective, so the use "laggy" is totally wrong. People should consider that many people here are not native English speakers, so incorrect use of the language makes it very, very hard for them to understand, and worse, since they may not be secure in their use of the language, it might teach them the wrong use of language.

davidgnomo
Jul 21, 2012, 07:45 AM
Shipping estimates could go back to 2-3 weeks in 3 or 4 days in case Apple does not state something about the hypothetical new iMac 2012 ...

Macclone
Jul 21, 2012, 08:03 AM

Sometime in the near or distant future.

zabs
Jul 21, 2012, 08:03 AM
Is this just for new orders? My customized Retina Macbook Pro I ordered a couple of weeks ago still says 3-4 weeks and the delivery estimate has not changed.

Thanks

katmeef
Jul 21, 2012, 08:07 AM
and worse, since they may not be secure in their use of the language, it might teach them the wrong use of language.

Let me guess, you're a teacher? This is macrumors not English 101...

gnasher729
Jul 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
Let me guess, you're a teacher? This is macrumors not English 101...

Guessed wrong.

CesarBelgium
Jul 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
Is this just for new orders? My customized Retina Macbook Pro I ordered a couple of weeks ago still says 3-4 weeks and the delivery estimate has not changed.

Thanks

Same here, delivery estimate remains the same but it says 1-2 weeks

NutsNGum
Jul 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
It is so easy to pick one up at a store. I just picked mine up two days ago and I asked the girl who was helping me how many they had. She said they had quite a few of both models. I was a little scared they would be out of stock.

Not here it isn't, anytime I've been into a store they have zero and have no idea when they'll be getting them in.

Faelyn
Jul 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
Over here in the Netherlands only the 2.6 GHz version was updated to 1-2 weeks, the 2.3 GHz one is still at 2-3 weeks.

Considering I have a 2.3 GHz one on order, that's slightly disappointing.

GenesisST
Jul 21, 2012, 09:06 AM
Sometime in the near or distant future.

Woah, you are a psychic! ;-)

drewisanapple
Jul 21, 2012, 09:15 AM

You're just wrong. iPad and iPad (2012) share the same name. The MacBook Pro lines don't have numbers. So iPhone could (not saying will) follow a new iPhone line. iPhone (2012) will be great regardless of naming.

lazer155
Jul 21, 2012, 09:30 AM
The hardware updates of the MacBook Pros have been anywhere from 2 to 10 months later. The June releases and then subsequent updates have been in November 2007 in and April 2010 (following June 2007 and June 2009 respectively). The June 2009 to April 2010 was the longest period before updates. Though the short update was really just an added speed bump.

So hopefully a November 2012 Update with a (much) faster GPU, and speed bump will be out before Christmas! Most speed bumps are 8 months away, but it is the first Ivy Bridge, I'd like to see a speed bump in just 5 months.

----------

Big Time, and finally no more of that damned Force Reloading of Pages; "White Flash"!

Apple does mid cycle hardware revisions on their MacBook pros? Is that why it makes a difference if it is for example an early 2011 MBP or a late 2011 MBP? I've just never noticed them change the specs later after the initial yearly release. Sorry if this is a really dumb question.

mat25
Jul 21, 2012, 09:33 AM
Love the fact that I ordered the day before they changed to 2-3 weeks. :rolleyes:

Woodcrest64
Jul 21, 2012, 09:36 AM
I ordered my on July 17th with the 2-3 weeks as the original time frame. I wonder now if I will get mine earlier now...

katmeef
Jul 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
Guessed wrong.

My mistake, the pompousness of your reply had me thoroughly convinced otherwise.

WestonHarvey1
Jul 21, 2012, 09:43 AM
1. no upgradeable ram
2. glued battery
3. not enough hd space

1. Buy now instead of later if you're keeping it awhile
2. Hasn't been user replaceable for years, almost everyone took it into the store anyway
3. Not enough for you, maybe
4. Can dongle the ethernet it but you probably don't need it, almost no one needs an optical drive, not worth making the product thicker and heavier

uhslax24
Jul 21, 2012, 10:21 AM
Ugh, ordered mine on July 15th and still seeing the 2-3 week estimate as well (Arrives Aug. 6-10). Hoping it ships sooner than that!

It would make sense that those who ordered earlier would be at the front of the line, so I think we'll be seeing them soon!:D

pgiguere1
Jul 21, 2012, 10:29 AM
1. no upgradeable ram
2. glued battery
3. not enough hd space

All of this is linked to money since:

1. You can buy the 16GB BTO option right now instead of waiting for cheaper aftermarket RAM. I don't think any DD3L-1600 8GB SODIMMs are available right now anyway.

2. Apple will still replace it for you for 199$, which it not bad considering it's a 95Wh battery and that a user-replaceable battery like the one in your aluminum MacBook is 45Wh and 129$.

3. 768GB is quite a lot. The maximum storage size you would get with a hard drive is 1TB (30% more). Is it worth the slow performance? (BTW this is funny considering your sig).

4. They're available separately, just buy them if you need them.

In the end, it comes down to "it's too expensive", which is perfectly normal considering it's the highest-end model of a high-end brand. IMO it has a better value than the 17" it replaces, and probably sells a lot more.

If you don't have that kind of money to spend on a computer, simply don't buy it, no one is forcing you to. This is basically a laptop straight from the future, obviously it's going to be too expensive for most. This is like the MacBook Air happening again.

zeraien
Jul 21, 2012, 10:55 AM
Picked mine up at MacMall, they have both models in stock and I only had to wait for 2 days for shipping, not 3-4 weeks as the Apple Store quoted at the time.

But in truth, the UI is laggier, than my 2008 blackbook! Especially on the integrated card... blergh. I'm praying to the lord of all that is graphics-cardy, that it will be fixed in software, since I've noticed that certain applications tend to make the lag worse (like safari 6..yes, I'm already running ML GM, and it's not helping!). But it's just soooo slim and light... argh!

If you really want one right away - check out macmall.com (http://www.macmall.com/n/Macbook-Pro/macNavLinks-macNavLinks.222)

gnasher729
Jul 21, 2012, 11:03 AM
Ugh, ordered mine on July 15th and still seeing the 2-3 week estimate as well (Arrives Aug. 6-10). Hoping it ships sooner than that!

It would make sense that those who ordered earlier would be at the front of the line, so I think we'll be seeing them soon!:D

The delivery date for the Mac that you already ordered shouldn't change. Say they had 6,000 ordered, 1,000 new orders per week, and they can deliver 2,000 per week. They need 3 weeks to deliver the ones already ordered, so if you order right now, you'll be next in the line and get yours in 3 weeks time. Every two weeks the backlog goes down by 2,000 and the advertised delivery time goes down by a week. But that doesn't change that the last one of the 6,000 ordered must wait 3 weeks.

----------

My mistake, the pompousness of your reply had me thoroughly convinced otherwise.

And here I was thinking that I was just using plain straightforward English.

MultiMediaWill
Jul 21, 2012, 11:29 AM
Likewise. When they don't name it iPhone 5.

Coming from a guy who owns lots of stock in Apple (me), I think I know what i'm talking about.

tjanssen1990
Jul 21, 2012, 11:47 AM
Coming from a guy who owns lots of stock in Apple (me), I think I know what i'm talking about.

Today I learned any idiot can buy Apple stock.

greytmom
Jul 21, 2012, 11:56 AM
And lag is a noun, not an adjective, so the use "laggy" is totally wrong. People should consider that many people here are not native English speakers, so incorrect use of the language makes it very, very hard for them to understand, and worse, since they may not be secure in their use of the language, it might teach them the wrong use of language.

In the interest of full disclosure to our non-English speaking friends, lag isn't always a noun. It can be used as a verb as well.

Laird Knox
Jul 21, 2012, 12:02 PM
People should consider that many people here are not native English speakers, so incorrect use of the language makes it very, very hard for them to understand, and worse, since they may not be secure in their use of the language, it might teach them the wrong use of language.

your srsly true i right goodly used to then i read internets

MultiMediaWill
Jul 21, 2012, 12:05 PM
Today I learned any idiot can buy Apple stock.

Means a lot coming from a guy with only 13 posts :rolleyes:.

Macboy Pro
Jul 21, 2012, 12:10 PM
My guess is that there are a few folks (LOTS) who got over being the first to get the super thin rMBP and realized, they now were stuck with exactly what they got and either returned or decided not to buy...

Issues with the rMBP...

~No option to upgrade in order to extend product life.
Without a $350 warranty its Apple Pricing to get repaired beyond 1 year.
~No option at all after 3YRs (unless you want to pay $1k or $1.5K for a new logic board when your memory goes bad. (soldering the memory has to be the lamest thing about the rMBP).
~No option but Apple pricing to fix a broken glass on the screen. Anyone (or most of us) broken a screen at one point or another?
~The graphics suck on most day to day activities (web browsing)
~The video card struggles to keep up with the resolution, making you wonder how bad that will be in 2 years with the rate of technology growth.
~No built in wired ethernet
~No built in optical drive

The list goes on and on... All to get the "WOW, thats thin" factor. I'll take the 3/16" thicker machine with none of those issues listed and the less likelihood I will have a $3k boat anchor or paper weight in 2-3 years.

my 2cents...

debbrin
Jul 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
I was going to get one...
until I realized that spending $2000+ on a machine thats glued together is not the best thing to do.
Sorry Apple.

tjanssen1990
Jul 21, 2012, 12:30 PM
Means a lot coming from a guy with only 13 posts :rolleyes:.

Oh right.. I forgot about the direct correlation between time wasted on the internet and intelligence.
Keep digging that hole.

Macboy Pro
Jul 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
Picked mine up at MacMall, they have both models in stock and I only had to wait for 2 days for shipping, not 3-4 weeks as the Apple Store quoted at the time.

But in truth, the UI is laggier, than my 2008 blackbook! Especially on the integrated card... blergh. I'm praying to the lord of all that is graphics-cardy, that it will be fixed in software, since I've noticed that certain applications tend to make the lag worse (like safari 6..yes, I'm already running ML GM, and it's not helping!). But it's just soooo slim and light... argh!

If you really want one right away - check out macmall.com (http://www.macmall.com/n/Macbook-Pro/macNavLinks-macNavLinks.222)
UGH... I hate MacMall. Be prepared for the constant upsell phone calls and they will delay your shipment to "validate" your purchase which translates to selling you more stuff before they ship. You are right though, they have them in stock if you can stomach them.

gnasher729
Jul 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
~No option but Apple pricing to fix a broken glass on the screen. Anyone (or most of us) broken a screen at one point or another?

Not once in let's see... 33 years of buying computers.

But it can happen:

http://notalwaysright.com/?s=pistachio

PS65
Jul 21, 2012, 01:04 PM
UK Store is now showing 1-2 Weeks, too.

MultiMediaWill
Jul 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
Oh right.. I forgot about the direct correlation between time wasted on the internet and intelligence.
Keep digging that hole.

How many Apple stocks do you own? I bet you are one of those sheep who get herded around on the bandwagon.

PS65
Jul 21, 2012, 01:33 PM
How many Apple stocks do you own? I bet you are one of those sheep who get herded around on the bandwagon.

Not really interested in your argument, but your relevance to owning Apple stock means nothing.

Not sure what your reference to 'one of those sheep who get herded around on the bandwagon' - if you're referring to owning a small amount of Apple stock and being subject to market movements, I can pretty much guarantee you, along with everyone on this forum, falls into that category.

tjanssen1990
Jul 21, 2012, 01:38 PM

Having a vested interest in a company does not make your horrible opinions any more intelligent.
The 4S name being revealed last October made the stock value drop at the time. Apple knows now that the reason for that was people expected an "iPhone 5".
For that reason alone, they are going to drop the number sequence.
Then when you factor in the "new iPad" naming structure you'd have to be mundanely stupid to think otherwise.

The door is that way. You can let yourself out

pgiguere1
Jul 21, 2012, 01:42 PM

We don't care about your stocks and number of posts. They don't allow you to be in Apple's marketing depatment's head. Your guess is as good as anyone's, get over yourself.

PS65
Jul 21, 2012, 02:06 PM
Having a vested interest in a company does not make your horrible opinions any more intelligent.
The 4S name being revealed last October made the stock value drop at the time. Apple knows now that the reason for that was people expected an "iPhone 5".
For that reason alone, they are going to drop the number sequence.
Then when you factor in the "new iPad" naming structure you'd have to be mundanely stupid to think otherwise.

The door is that way. You can let yourself out

Sorry, it was't the name that made the stock price, it was a misalignment between what was expected from the keynote (eg. a new redesign/functionality).

----------

Back on topic, my expected shipping date has reflected this change.

MultiMediaWill
Jul 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
We don't care about your stocks and number of posts. They don't allow you to be in Apple's marketing depatment's head. Your guess is as good as anyone's, get over yourself.

Apple would never drop the number from the iPhone. It simply makes no sense. For example if the galaxy S had no number, I would be, along with many others, confused as to which is the newest model. If this iPhone is called "The New iPhone" will the next model be called "The Newer iPhone"?

zeraien
Jul 21, 2012, 02:18 PM
UGH... I hate MacMall. Be prepared for the constant upsell phone calls and they will delay your shipment to "validate" your purchase which translates to selling you more stuff before they ship. You are right though, they have them in stock if you can stomach them.

I haven't really had any trouble. When I ordered mine it shipped the same day and I got it 2 days later, I paid 20$ extra for 2 day shipping (3-5 days was free), but given that the rMBP is about 20$ cheaper there, it was a fair bargain.

I gave them an old skype number I don't use anymore and so far I haven't gotten any email spam from them either. As for validating my order, I used Amazon checkout and maybe that doesn't require validation as long as your Amazon account is validated...

Either way, given the stock availability, and quick shipping, I'll probably use them again in the future. My online ordering experience on the Apple Store has never been that smooth or fast... hehe

I'm not saying they are the best retailer or anything, but I judge by what I see, and what I've seen has been ultrafast shipping and delivery.

----------

Apple would never drop the number from the iPhone. It simply makes no sense. For example if the galaxy S had no number, I would be, along with many others, confused as to which is the newest model. If this iPhone is called "The New iPhone" will the next model be called "The Newer iPhone"?

Actually - they did drop the number on the iPad.. After all the "new iPad" is not called iPad 3, it's just called iPad, and most Apple folk calls it "the new iPad". All the while, "real people" call it iPad 3.

Although on a side note - in Sweden one the largest pc/game/electronics retailers catering to more nerdy folk, (webhallen), calls it iPad 3, but that's because they don't really depend on Apple at all. All "Authorized" Apple Retailers just call it iPad or "the new iPad".

I'm curious as to what the next new iPad will be called.. The Newer iPad? The New iPad 2? iPad 2 2nd generation? Lolz.

east85
Jul 21, 2012, 02:34 PM
All of this is linked to money since:

1. You can buy the 16GB BTO option right now instead of waiting for cheaper aftermarket RAM. I don't think any DD3L-1600 8GB SODIMMs are available right now anyway.

2. Apple will still replace it for you for 199$, which it not bad considering it's a 95Wh battery and that a user-replaceable battery like the one in your aluminum MacBook is 45Wh and 129$.

3. 768GB is quite a lot. The maximum storage size you would get with a hard drive is 1TB (30% more). Is it worth the slow performance? (BTW this is funny considering your sig).

4. They're available separately, just buy them if you need them.

In the end, it comes down to "it's too expensive", which is perfectly normal considering it's the highest-end model of a high-end brand. IMO it has a better value than the 17" it replaces, and probably sells a lot more.

If you don't have that kind of money to spend on a computer, simply don't buy it, no one is forcing you to. This is basically a laptop straight from the future, obviously it's going to be too expensive for most. This is like the MacBook Air happening again.

1. Wow, BTO recommendation? You do realize that aftermarket RAM is essentially the same as Apple RAM. Just because it's Apple RAM doesn't make it any better. What a total waste, everyone knows Apple RAM is overpriced and not of any difference in quality.

2. While you have a point on pricing (a whole 30 dollars worth) it's not exactly convenient for professionals (pro btw) to have to take time out of their schedule to have Apple do this. Most professionals are competent enough to replace a battery.

3. Once again you are saying that BTO is the way to go. You don't have to be poor in order to not want to burn your hard earned cash on Apple tax. Apple's SSD are no different from aftermarket drives, there's no quality difference that warrants the pricing for BTO options from Apple. If you want to burn your cash, go for it. When it comes down to it you're just doing it for a retina display, one that will ultimately come to fruition on all product lines from Apple.

Also just because I have the laptop in my sig does not mean I am not capable of digesting and reading the vast number of posts on here pertaining to the professional individuals and groups that rely on the device. Storage is king for any kind of professional user (once again, it's a Professional grade laptop.. maybe), base line simply isn't enough. Burn your cash on the apple tax to fix it if you like, but some of us like to make money with our money.

4. Once again, it's a professional grade computer. Individuals still require an optical drive and shouldn't be forced to pay extra for it, if anything Apple should be shipping this "Pro" with a free drive.

If it's not a functional work horse out of the box, it's not a professional grade laptop.

Also I find it hilarious that you truly believe this computer is from the future, I imagine the GPU might be able to keep up with the display in the future. If the future is this laptop I'd rather not go there. Once again, as mentioned above, it's not being able afford something, it's the ethics of saving your hard earned cash for investments rather than burning it up for a subpar device. If the retina screen is really worth all those sacrifices to you, just admit you got an Air on your hands with a nice screen. This is not a professional laptop. In the end it comes down to "common sense".

tjanssen1990
Jul 21, 2012, 02:45 PM
Sorry, it was't the name that made the stock price, it was a misalignment between what was expected from the keynote (eg. a new redesign/functionality).

----------

I whole-heartedly disagree. In the tech community it was the lack of redesign. But 9/10 people that arent tech savvy expected an "iPhone 5". I know of many many people that were angry/disappointed/etc and they didn't ever mention hardware, just that based on the name they didnt picture a worthwhile upgrade.
The clueless idiots' opinions are the ones that matter when stock price jumps are involved, whether those be up or down.

Remember, most people dont watch keynotes. They heard on the radio that day last October "well Apple fans are disappointed as they didn't get the iPhone 5 they expected." People who just regurgitate news kept saying how disappointing it was,etc. There is no way to prove either of us right or wrong but the general masses definitely cared more about the name than the actual phone.

solamar
Jul 21, 2012, 03:03 PM
1. no upgradeable ram
(CHEEP ENOUGH TO UPGRADE AT BUYING TIME)
(NOT MANY LAPTOPS GOTO 16GB MEMORY ANYWAY)
2. glued battery
(Like it WAS user replace-able in the last model? NOT! lol!)
3. not enough hd space
(Dude, SSD, never head of it? It's about SPEED!!!! 500MB/s!!!!)
(NEED MORE SPACE? THAT'S WHAT USB 3.0 and THUNDERBOLT ARE FOR!!!)
(THANK GOD!)
(CANT REMEMBER LAST TIME I USED CD. WANT ETHERNET? GET ADAPTER! DUH!)

See comments above

This is the most FUTURE READY laptop available, NOT the most LEGACY compatible!!!

PS65
Jul 21, 2012, 03:16 PM
I whole-heartedly disagree. In the tech community it was the lack of redesign. But 9/10 people that arent tech savvy expected an "iPhone 5". I know of many many people that were angry/disappointed/etc and they didn't ever mention hardware, just that based on the name they didnt picture a worthwhile upgrade.
The clueless idiots' opinions are the ones that matter when stock price jumps are involved, whether those be up or down.

Remember, most people dont watch keynotes. They heard on the radio that day last October "well Apple fans are disappointed as they didn't get the iPhone 5 they expected." People who just regurgitate news kept saying how disappointing it was,etc. There is no way to prove either of us right or wrong but the general masses definitely cared more about the name than the actual phone.

You may well disagree but your presumption is that Apple stock is a noise traded stock. I work in Financial Services and your attitude is that of a noise trader. That's not who it works and that is one of many variables that drive it.

I'm not even going to start this discussion because I have yet to read a comment regarding stock with any merit.

uhslax24
Jul 21, 2012, 03:16 PM
Really? Guess I'm screwed then. haha

pgiguere1
Jul 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
1. Wow, BTO recommendation? You do realize that aftermarket RAM is essentially the same as Apple RAM. Just because it's Apple RAM doesn't make it any better. What a total waste, everyone knows Apple RAM is overpriced and not of any difference in quality.

2. While you have a point on pricing (a whole 30 dollars worth) it's not exactly convenient for professionals (pro btw) to have to take time out of their schedule to have Apple do this. Most professionals are competent enough to replace a battery.

3. Once again you are saying that BTO is the way to go. You don't have to be poor in order to not want to burn your hard earned cash on Apple tax. Apple's SSD are no different from aftermarket drives, there's no quality difference that warrants the pricing for BTO options from Apple. If you want to burn your cash, go for it. When it comes down to it you're just doing it for a retina display, one that will ultimately come to fruition on all product lines from Apple.

Also just because I have the laptop in my sig does not mean I am not capable of digesting and reading the vast number of posts on here pertaining to the professional individuals and groups that rely on the device. Storage is king for any kind of professional user (once again, it's a Professional grade laptop.. maybe), base line simply isn't enough. Burn your cash on the apple tax to fix it if you like, but some of us like to make money with our money.

4. Once again, it's a professional grade computer. Individuals still require an optical drive and shouldn't be forced to pay extra for it, if anything Apple should be shipping this "Pro" with a free drive.

If it's not a functional work horse out of the box, it's not a professional grade laptop.

Also I find it hilarious that you truly believe this computer is from the future, I imagine the GPU might be able to keep up with the display in the future. If the future is this laptop I'd rather not go there. Once again, as mentioned above, it's not being able afford something, it's the ethics of saving your hard earned cash for investments rather than burning it up for a subpar device. If the retina screen is really worth all those sacrifices to you, just admit you got an Air on your hands with a nice screen. This is not a professional laptop. In the end it comes down to "common sense".

1. You should have read my first point until the end. Try to find aftermarket 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODDIMs. They are not available right now, and when they will we have no idea how much they will cost. And you just have validated my point, your complain is about money.

2. You have to replace your battery like once in 3-4 years, probably only once in its lifecycle. If your employer has the budget to buy you a 2-3k$ laptop, he probably has the budget to find you a spot to change its battery once in the like 5 years you will own it. If you work for a serious company that orders lots of Macs, chances are they could also get an Apple tech come and change it for you.

3. Again, money is the issue so you're saying I'm right.

4. "Professional" doesn't mean anything other than you use it for your profession. Not all professions require you to read optical media while on the go. Apple would only include the external drive if they hiked the price of the laptop itself, which they wouldn't do since they believe in a optical-free future.

It can be a professional grade laptop. It depends on your profession. If yours won't allow you to have it then don't buy it, but saying it's inappropriate for any profession is nonsense.

Yes, I think this computer is from the future. You seem to have misunderstood my analogy. The MacBook Air when it was introduced in 2008 also had sub-par CPU and GPU compared to 2012 ultrabooks. What it stole from the future is the concept of a super-thin yet powerful computer with custom hardware like ULV CPU, soldered RAM, no optical drive, SSD, etc, with a focus on fast boot times/wake up and battery life.

It took some time for that hardware to become mainstream enough to offer the MacBook Air at a competitive price, but it finally happened. A 2008 MacBook Air with 64GB SSD used to cost 3099$. The 999$ 64GB 11" MBA now blows the 2008 model out of the water in terms of performance. Even now Intel ships more LV mobile CPU than ULV ones, even though they said CPUs with 17W TDP were their new focus for mainstream laptops. It will probably take until around 2014 until most laptop sold have SSD and ULV CPUs. Then we could say the concept of the MacBook Air was 8 years in advance on the mainstream market. People simply didn't buy it because it was too expensive.

I think the same will happen to the rMBP. Right now it's kind of a proof of concept that has his own issues like the MBA used to have in 2008, and most people wouldn't even consider it because of its price, but that will slowly change with time. We will eventually start seeing similar laptops from other manufacturers, and in a couple of years every OEM will have its own laptop that is super-thin yet has powerful components, a HiDPI display, no optical drive nor ethernet port, soldered RAM, etc. and they will eventually be offered at a mainstream price, then another proof of concept form factor will be introduced, and so on.

Some early adopters are willing to make those sacrifices. If you're not one of them, just wait until the rest of the industry catches up with Apple's vision and buy one then. It will be cheaper then, and offer a more powerful CPU and GPU, more storage, and they'll be a ton of HiDPI-optimized apps.

What I'm saying is no need to bash a computer because it's too early for its time. No one is forcing you to be an early adopter. The same kind of bashing was made towards the MacBook Air in 2008 and look where it's at now. People love it. It leads its category in part because Apple has 4 years of experience making that kind of computer, while other manufacturers are at their first or second attempt.

jcpb
Jul 21, 2012, 03:37 PM
1. unfounded accusation of overpriced Apple RAM lolez
I don't think you know what you are talking about.
2. pro-what?
Most professionals also regularly backup their work. This is a non-issue.
3. gibberish
east85: "I simply will not pay the prices Apple charges on their BTO Macs!"
whining about lack of storage
I can give you a MBPR with a 128 Exabytes SSD inside and you'll still complain it's too small. :rolleyes:
4. pro-what? and expecting Apple to give things away for free
First world problems :rolleyes:
You're holding it wrong.
In the end it comes down to "common sense".
Care to explain? I struggle to find a sliver of this so-called "common sense" in your post.

PS65
Jul 21, 2012, 03:39 PM
Was 6 to 10 August, now 2 - 9 August.

Really? Guess I'm screwed then. haha

dastinger
Jul 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
Sweeeeeeeet!

FYI, I bought mine about 2 weeks ago and it was the 16GB version. Not at an Apple Store but on an electronics store in Portugal so I guess they might ship some since they had one available.

doelcm82
Jul 21, 2012, 04:05 PM

I'm nearly 100% sure that "The New" won't be a part of the name. It wasn't part of the name of the new iPad.

If they drop the number the name of the new iPhone will be "iPhone".

The name of the model after that will be "iPhone."

Check the Apple website and see how they treat the new iPad. Sometimes it is the new iPad, and sometimes it is just iPad. "New" is not part of the name, any more than "White" is part of the name of the white iPad.

If you buy one, you can name your own personal iPad "The New iPad" if you like, but if that confuses you later when you buy another, remember you did it to yourself.

Thunderhawks
Jul 21, 2012, 04:10 PM
1. You should have read my first point until the end. Try to find aftermarket 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODDIMs. They are not available right now, and when they will we have no idea how much they will cost. And you just have validated my point, your complain is about money.

2. You have to replace your battery like once in 3-4 years, probably only once in its lifecycle. If your employer has the budget to buy you a 2-3k$ laptop, he probably has the budget to find you a spot to change its battery once in the like 5 years you will own it. If you work for a serious company that orders lots of Macs, chances are they could also get an Apple tech come and change it for you.

3. Again, money is the issue so you're saying I'm right.

4. "Professional" doesn't mean anything other than you use it for your profession. Not all professions require you to read optical media while on the go. Apple would only include the external drive if they hiked the price of the laptop itself, which they wouldn't do since they believe in a optical-free future.

It can be a professional grade laptop. It depends on your profession. If yours won't allow you to have it then don't buy it, but saying it's inappropriate for any profession is nonsense.

Yes, I think this computer is from the future. You seem to have misunderstood my analogy. The MacBook Air when it was introduced in 2008 also had sub-par CPU and GPU compared to 2012 ultrabooks. What it stole from the future is the concept of a super-thin yet powerful computer with custom hardware like ULV CPU, soldered RAM, no optical drive, SSD, etc, with a focus on fast boot times/wake up and battery life.

It took some time for that hardware to become mainstream enough to offer the MacBook Air at a competitive price, but it finally happened. A 2008 MacBook Air with 64GB SSD used to cost 3099$. The 999$ 64GB 11" MBA now blows the 2008 model out of the water in terms of performance. Even now Intel ships more LV mobile CPU than ULV ones, even though they said CPUs with 17W TDP were their new focus for mainstream laptops. It will probably take until around 2014 until most laptop sold have SSD and ULV CPUs. Then we could say the concept of the MacBook Air was 8 years in advance on the mainstream market. People simply didn't buy it because it was too expensive.

I think the same will happen to the rMBP. Right now it's kind of a proof of concept that has his own issues like the MBA used to have in 2008, and most people wouldn't even consider it because of its price, but that will slowly change with time. We will eventually start seeing similar laptops from other manufacturers, and in a couple of years every OEM will have its own laptop that is super-thin yet has powerful components, a HiDPI display, no optical drive nor ethernet port, soldered RAM, etc. and they will eventually be offered at a mainstream price, then another proof of concept form factor will be introduced, and so on.

Some early adopters are willing to make those sacrifices. If you're not one of them, just wait until the rest of the industry catches up with Apple's vision and buy one then. It will be cheaper then, and offer a more powerful CPU and GPU, more storage, and they'll be a ton of HiDPI-optimized apps.

What I'm saying is no need to bash a computer because it's too early for its time. No one is forcing you to be an early adopter. The same kind of bashing was made towards the MacBook Air in 2008 and look where it's at now. People love it. It leads its category in part because Apple has 4 years of experience making that kind of computer, while other manufacturers are at their first or second attempt.

You are wasting your time with East85.

The subject has been discussed ad nauseam and it is clear that this person doesn't get that this is not the machine for him.

All of what he complains about is not in the rMBP is available in a regular MBP, minus the Retina display. (That will come as soon as factory yields expand and prices for Retina displays come down.

Really a non issue for people who can think, analyze and make their choice based on what is actually available and what they need, instead of complaining that it's not what they would like. Wah, wah, wah!

MTD's Mac
Jul 21, 2012, 04:40 PM

They'll know because of something called Context. If we're talking about our first ever smartphones, I'll know you mean the original iPhone (which you can call the "original" or "2008" iPhone, if you want). If we're talking about the phone you left at the bar last night, I'll assume you mean your 6th generation "iPhone", not the one you recycled 3 years ago.

iasky
Jul 21, 2012, 04:41 PM

Thanks

No change once you ordered. I ordered mine at the end of June with a July 26 - Aug 2 delivery. It was shipped yesterday with a July 26th delivery date.

Hope that helps.

MTD's Mac
Jul 21, 2012, 04:42 PM

Returned models wouldn't go into New stock to be sent to new buyers. They'd go to the Refurb online store, or to Apple Stores to replace faulty models being brought in under Apple Care.

pgiguere1
Jul 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
You are wasting your time with East85.

The subject has been discussed ad nauseam and it is clear that this person doesn't get that this is not the machine for him.

All of what he complains about is not in the rMBP is available in a regular MBP, minus the Retina display. (That will come as soon as factory yields expand and prices for Retina displays come down.

Really a non issue for people who can think, analyze and make their choice based on what is actually available and what they need, instead of complaining that it's not what they would like. Wah, wah, wah!

You're right, no amount of arguing will probably change the fact that he's not interested in the rMBP. What I would like to see being changed, however, is the attitude some people have.

It's like they need to bash what they don't buy in an attempt to justify them not buying it, like it's that hard to just tell yourself "This computer isn't for me" and move on.

To each is own opinion, but spamming in comments of articles that have nothing to do with the subject certainly is inappropriate. This article is about shipping estimates, and it baffles me that his troll comment which has nothing to do with the topic was rated the top comment when I read it (it's now number 2).

Macrumors has a very large and active community (the largest Apple-related internet community?) and Arn's reporting is top-notch, but seriously the quality and relevance of comments are terrible. It reminds me of Engadget.

kakman
Jul 21, 2012, 05:12 PM
I ordered through our preferred reseller as an Enterprise purchase on June 21. I have been told July 31 as a delivery date - I hope it arrives this week but it will be touch and go whether the MBPr or Mountain Lion arrives first. In a way I hope ML comes first, then I can just skip Lion altogether.

bkushner
Jul 21, 2012, 05:12 PM
1. no upgradeable ram
2. glued battery
3. not enough hd space

Do you feel better now?
I have a feeling you can't afford it anyways, McDonald's pay scale is quite low.

gnasher729
Jul 21, 2012, 05:19 PM

I still buy DVDs and CDs that get ripped on my Mac at home. However, I cannot even remember when was the last time that I used an optical drive professionally. Oh, I do: It was when I installed MacOS X 10.5 on a Mac. That's ages ago.

Even at home, I don't need an optical drive on every computer. I need _one_ optical drive in my household. That's enough. And you can get an external optical drive for £15 (CD and DVD reader / writer) that works just fine with every Mac.

iiechapman
Jul 21, 2012, 05:20 PM
Just want to set the record straight the new iPad is simply the "iPad".
It is simply referred to as "The new iPad" because it is new. In Fact when you order a new iPad it is called the "iPad (Third Generation)". Much like the iPod Touch has been referred to by generation for a long time. That is how we find out what the "Newest iPad" is . Potentially the next "newest iPad" will be "The New iPad" as well because it will be new then.

KdParker
Jul 21, 2012, 07:06 PM
Same here, delivery estimate remains the same but it says 1-2 weeks

I was wondering about that. If you are locked in 3 - 4 weeks will they hold you to that shipping estimate?

uhslax24
Jul 21, 2012, 07:32 PM
I was wondering about that. If you are locked in 3 - 4 weeks will they hold you to that shipping estimate?

I actually called Apple Sales and they gave me free 2-3 day shipping (which is the best you can do with them coming from China...)

G5isAlive
Jul 21, 2012, 07:48 PM
I know I am excited.

gatortpk
Jul 21, 2012, 07:57 PM
People hear these terms and they think they know what it means, and then they use them. Without giving it any thought.

LCD display actually have a lag, between 2 and 20 milliseconds, depending on the goals of the manufacturer. And the longer lag doesn't mean lower quality, it is the opposite actually. For example when you display a movie, the LCD with the longer lag will use the time to prepare the display for the switch to the next image, so the next movie frame will be displayed a little bit later, but the change from one to the next frame will be smoother. Gamers usually prefer the shorter lag, but they give up picture quality for better reaction time.

All that said, most people complaining about "lag" don't have a clue what they are talking about. And lag is a noun, not an adjective, so the use "laggy" is totally wrong. People should consider that many people here are not native English speakers, so incorrect use of the language makes it very, very hard for them to understand, and worse, since they may not be secure in their use of the language, it might teach them the wrong use of language.

Well said. About the display "lag", I forgot to include the actual time it takes to switch (or polarize) a LCD pixel. So you're right, maybe it take many microseconds to send a signal to the LCD display, but whole milliseconds for the LCD to actually react. I guess todays LCD are generally around 4-8 milliseconds now. That is good enough for 120 to 240 fps, or exactly 125 to 250 Hz.

clcnyc
Jul 21, 2012, 08:33 PM
:(

I ordered on July 10 BTO 2.7 w/16g RAM. Hurry!!!

Sir Al
Jul 21, 2012, 08:53 PM
Waited for a month to get mine... ah the early adopter's price... I'm not an early adopter usually, but Apple sure made me one with the rMBP!

dljeffery
Jul 21, 2012, 09:01 PM
~No option at all after 3YRs (unless you want to pay $1k or $1.5K for a new logic board when your memory goes bad. (soldering the memory has to be the lamest thing about the rMBP).

I've never had RAM go bad; have you? Also, I've never once damaged a laptop LCD, nor have I ever seen a damaged one (other than occasional pics posted on the internet).

I don't believe I've ever used either one on my mid-2010 MBP. Not even sure if they work, and also not sure why I should always have to buy a new optical drive every time I buy a new computer?

iPhoneNYC
Jul 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
I had been in and out of the UWS and the Fifth Ave Apple in NYC stores the past couple of weeks to see if a Retina with 512 was in stock. No luck until today! While they used to get a handful (I was told 5 or 6 a day) now they have real stock. May be worth checking your Apple store unless you want custom.

Woolven
Jul 21, 2012, 09:47 PM
Ordered 10th July base model with 16gb ram upgrade. Still no change in my shipping time from 2-3 weeks yet.. Maybe because it's Sunday. Expected arrival 31st Jul - 6th Aug :(

JohnDoe98
Jul 21, 2012, 10:36 PM
2. You have to replace your battery like once in 3-4 years, probably only once in its lifecycle.

I don't know where you are getting your estimates, but I've had my RMBP about a month now and I already have 40 cycles, so at this rate it'll be almost exactly 2 years when it's time to swap out the battery.

HarryKNN21
Jul 22, 2012, 01:08 AM
My guess is that there are a few folks (LOTS) who got over being the first to get the super thin rMBP and realized, they now were stuck with exactly what they got and either returned or decided not to buy...

Issues with the rMBP...

~The video card struggles to keep up with the resolution, making you wonder how bad that will be in 2 years with the rate of technology growth.

The list goes on and on... All to get the "WOW, thats thin" factor. I'll take the 3/16" thicker machine with none of those issues listed and the less likelihood I will have a $3k boat anchor or paper weight in 2-3 years.

my 2cents...

I admit the current rMBP is not for me either, because I have only used my 2011 MBP for half a year and replacing it with current rMBP is too soon.

However, by seeing your comments, I think you should never buy a Mac again unless the Mac Pro really get an upgrade next year. The current rMBP is a testbed for Apple anyway, who else has produced a machine that has a better display? Non of those shxt Windows machines have a 2560x1600 display on them. More is soldered RAM really that hopeless? I think if Apple use typical RAM configuration would they have achieved such a high performance machine. Apple needs to keep everything to their original design in order to test the actual ability and reception of the rMBP, if they allow people to customize every bit of it how could they achieve a result?

Besides, many fanboys who buy a MacBook defeats its actual advantages. They only regard those as gaming machine as tbh I don't see the benefit to play benchmark games on a laptop instead of a gaming PC. I love my MacBook because it is stable and user-friendly at work, let me know if any PC Laptop is as stable as a Mac.

I don't know how do you use your Mac, btw if you only get a low res display I don't see your Machine will be that usable 2-3 years later.

my 2cents anyway...

ggg05a
Jul 22, 2012, 01:22 AM
Fantastic! So when does it show up in the Refurb store?

itsamacthing
Jul 22, 2012, 02:23 AM
upgrade the storage to 768 and watch what happens

Adidas Addict
Jul 22, 2012, 02:26 AM
Mine was showing delivery from 7th-13th Aug, now showing 30th Jul-6th Aug :)

gnasher729
Jul 22, 2012, 04:26 AM
I don't believe I've ever used either one on my mid-2010 MBP. Not even sure if they work, and also not sure why I should always have to buy a new optical drive every time I buy a new computer?

Optical drive (CD / DVD reader + writer) = £15.
USB to Ethernet adapter = £2.95.

BriSpe
Jul 22, 2012, 05:42 AM
Mine was showing delivery from 7th-13th Aug, now showing 30th Jul-6th Aug :)

Mine is still showing 7th-13th.
When did you ordered yours?
I placed the order on July 4th

I'm in Europe too, so I don't get it, what these Foxconn guys are doing there.

Pianoblack3
Jul 22, 2012, 06:11 AM
Optical drive (CD / DVD reader + writer) = £15.
USB to Ethernet adapter = £2.95.

There are cons to the Ethernet Adapter, can't quite remember them fully but it was to do with them only running at a slow speed (100 Mbps) or something, which if i'm being honest, makes it pointless if you have a fast connection. The external drive is better anyway, it's faster than Apples 'Better Be Quiet' SuperDrives + One can use Blu-Ray .

Macboy Pro
Jul 22, 2012, 07:08 AM
I admit the current rMBP is not for me either, because I have only used my 2011 MBP for half a year and replacing it with current rMBP is too soon.

However, by seeing your comments, I think you should never buy a Mac again unless the Mac Pro really get an upgrade next year. The current rMBP is a testbed for Apple anyway, who else has produced a machine that has a better display? Non of those shxt Windows machines have a 2560x1600 display on them. More is soldered RAM really that hopeless? I think if Apple use typical RAM configuration would they have achieved such a high performance machine. Apple needs to keep everything to their original design in order to test the actual ability and reception of the rMBP, if they allow people to customize every bit of it how could they achieve a result?

Besides, many fanboys who buy a MacBook defeats its actual advantages. They only regard those as gaming machine as tbh I don't see the benefit to play benchmark games on a laptop instead of a gaming PC. I love my MacBook because it is stable and user-friendly at work, let me know if any PC Laptop is as stable as a Mac.

I don't know how do you use your Mac, btw if you only get a low res display I don't see your Machine will be that usable 2-3 years later.

my 2cents anyway...

My point was all the negatives just to get 3/16" thinner. Remove that Apple development obsession, you can still install normal Laptop Ram, standard SSD's, ethernet jack, and make the system serviceable. Its pretty straight forward.

----------

I've never had RAM go bad; have you? Also, I've never once damaged a laptop LCD, nor have I ever seen a damaged one (other than occasional pics posted on the internet).

We can agree on the optical drive. I got news for you... You'll be pissed if you have to buy a $1500 logic board because RAM goes bad. It does and is somewhat common over years. Just because you haven't had memory go bad, is not a logic step to thinking it doesnt go bad.

peterdevries
Jul 22, 2012, 07:35 AM
Issues with the rMBP...

The "issues" you mention (note that I left the ones about performance out, because I agree on those) are not issues but by design. People who bought the product and realised this afterward did not do enough research before their purchase and should have bought a regular MBP or MBA, or a product from a competitor for that matter.

I consider it good customer service that Apple is so lenient in taking back purchases without conditions. it shows that Apple puts value in the lifetime value of the customer as opposed to the value of one sale.

There are not that many companies that enable you to buy a product and return it because you don't like a documented feature or absence of a feature.

magbarn
Jul 22, 2012, 07:36 AM
There are cons to the Ethernet Adapter, can't quite remember them fully but it was to do with them only running at a slow speed (100 Mbps) or something, which if i'm being honest, makes it pointless if you have a fast connection. The external drive is better anyway, it's faster than Apples 'Better Be Quiet' SuperDrives + One can use Blu-Ray .

I've got the thunderbolt to gig Ethernet adapter and it works at a full gigE speeds. I'm getting about 100 megabytes per second which is just as fast as the Ethernet port on the regular mbp.

flipnap
Jul 22, 2012, 08:39 AM
You'll be pissed if you have to buy a $1500 logic board because RAM goes bad. It does and is somewhat common over years. Just because you haven't had memory go bad, is not a logic step to thinking it doesnt go bad.

Sorry man, but ive never seen it. im 43 years old and been on computers since floppy drives. ive NEVER seen a good stick of ram go bad. And soldered RAM is even more dependable.

All these dramatics about apples "glued" battery and soldered ram is a moot point. in a few years, if ultrabooks even still exist, theyll all be appliances, and id be surprised if they even have screws, will likely be welded shut. All these fights over user accessability is hilarious.

----------

btw, if something like the surface comes to town, or even the tablets in existence. weres all the beef about "soldered ram and glued batteries?"

rcepek
Jul 22, 2012, 09:03 AM
15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
Show Configuration Details
Ships: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers Aug 3 - Aug 9 via Standard Shipping

No, change for me yet....

majkom
Jul 22, 2012, 09:33 AM
And how does a thermos know when to keep things hot or when to keep things cold?

The world is full of important mysteries!

You obviously missed the point...

Pakaku
Jul 22, 2012, 09:55 AM
See comments above

This is the most FUTURE READY laptop available, NOT the most LEGACY compatible!!!

And if something breaks? You have to return the ENTIRE UNIT...

flipnap
Jul 22, 2012, 09:58 AM

sort of like almost every other laptop out there? if a capacitor blows out on your windows machine are you climbing in there with a soldering iron?

charlituna
Jul 22, 2012, 10:07 AM

They won't.

1. They will announce it in Sept
2. It will just be the new iPhone

----------

A year perhaps two? Depends on how you define an upgrade

----------

Thanks

If you ordered it a couple of weeks ago there's 1-2 weeks left, same as a new order

JohnDoe98
Jul 22, 2012, 10:11 AM

Something broke on mine and the fixed only that part, not the entire unit. How do you explain that?

charlituna
Jul 22, 2012, 10:17 AM

Last I checked, shareholders aren't told squat anymore that non holders.

Now if you had claimed you work for apple corporate (not retail cause they aren't told either to keep them from leaking it or insider trading), you might be believed as knowing something

----------

1. Stock always drops because the truth never fits he rumors
2. The name wasnt the issue, it was that it was viewed as 'a lame spec bump' rather than a 'real upgrade like the rumors were talking.

Thunderhawks
Jul 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
You obviously missed the point...

You sure did:-)

Warning sometimes unmarked "SARCASM" at work on MacRumors!

charlituna
Jul 22, 2012, 10:37 AM
1. Wow, BTO recommendation? You do realize that aftermarket RAM is essentially the same as Apple RAM.

It's soldered in and removing it voids your warranty.

Glued in on the top case. So no, you can't just replace it. And that is also why the part costs so much.

Then again with a 1000 cycle life will it be that big of an issue

That you ignore these details about the machine and the ignorance this oversight suggest diminishes the worth of your comments. Perhaps you should do a bit more research next time to make sure you have your facts lined up correctly

----------

And you can get an external optical drive for £15 (CD and DVD reader / writer) that works just fine with every Mac.

Or for more like £50 get that blu-ray drive Apple refused to put in

----------

There are cons to the Ethernet Adapter, can't quite remember them fully but it was to do with them only running at a slow speed (100 Mbps) or something, which if i'm being honest, makes it pointless if you have a fast connection.

Thunderbolt to Ethernet for the win.

Now if they would just send out the TB to FW adapter

----------

Sorry man, but ive never seen it. im 43 years old and been on computers since floppy drives.

This machine is pointed at Pros and they will get Apple Care for the phone support and extra coverage and the cost is a tax write off.

So IF the board or RAM goes bad in that 3 years it's a free replacement. Same with the SSD, even if it means pulling an iPad that doing a whole unit swap. Hell the stores might even start doing free data transfers since a TB of data across thunderbolt would be like 3 hours tops (probably more like half that). Or if not free you pay like $50 for it. Still hella cheaper than anywhere.

And with the way computers are blasting up in improvements in 3 years something 5-10 times better will be out and that's what the smart money will be spent on, not the dying horse

gnasher729
Jul 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
My point was all the negatives just to get 3/16" thinner. Remove that Apple development obsession, you can still install normal Laptop Ram, standard SSD's, ethernet jack, and make the system serviceable. Its pretty straight forward.

You may not have noticed it, but Apple actually sells to 15" MBPs with different designs. If you don't like the Retina 15" MBP, there is a 15" MBP that has everything you want.

There are cons to the Ethernet Adapter, can't quite remember them fully but it was to do with them only running at a slow speed (100 Mbps) or something, which if i'm being honest, makes it pointless if you have a fast connection.

Well, the £2.95 adapter will _work_, not at the highest possible speed, but it's excellent if you go to some place and nobody knows the WiFi password. Yes, if you want to transfer 100 MB image files all the time, you better spend £25 for the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.

dougsterown
Jul 22, 2012, 11:27 AM
oh my gosh. What HUGE news!!! :rolleyes:

Gata
Jul 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
oh my gosh. What HUGE news!!! :rolleyes:

Thank you for your meaningful and insightful comment.

KdParker
Jul 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
Waited for a month to get mine... ah the early adopter's price... I'm not an early adopter usually, but Apple sure made me one with the rMBP!

what a difference 5 days made. I was Jun 12 crowd that got in on the 2-3 week estimate. I only had to wait 2 weeks before I received rMBP.

Wonder what the sales numbers will be for rMBP for the 2nd and 3rd quarters

Thunderhawks
Jul 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
You may not have noticed it, but Apple actually sells to 15" MBPs with different designs. If you don't like the Retina 15" MBP, there is a 15" MBP that has everything you want.

He doesn't want to hear this or cannot follow logic.

Instead, he complains about a product that was designed exactly to not have what he needs/wants and will not buy.

Kind of funny actually:-)

Another poster makes a great point about a 3 year life cycle for PROs.
If you are in a PRO field you will certainly watch what is coming in development and in 3 years buy the next fastest thing.
3 years in the current computer development cycle speed is an eternity.

When ASUS, Lenovo, Samsung, HP et. al. copy this design for the PC world we won't hear one peep from these people

KdParker
Jul 22, 2012, 03:06 PM
If you ordered it a couple of weeks ago there's 1-2 weeks left, same as a new order

maybe it will come earlier

mex4eric
Jul 22, 2012, 04:10 PM
If they are reducing the shipping time to 1-2 weeks, either they are not selling as many as they thought or they are catching up with a higher demand than they expected at launch. I suspect the latter, as they are always proud to announce that supply and demand are now "in balance".

gnasher729
Jul 22, 2012, 04:41 PM
If they are reducing the shipping time to 1-2 weeks, either they are not selling as many as they thought or they are catching up with a higher demand than they expected at launch. I suspect the latter, as they are always proud to announce that supply and demand are now "in balance".

They were initially selling more than expected, since there was very quickly a backlog of 3 to 4 weeks. So what would any halfway competent business person do in that situation? Increase production.

aksmax
Jul 22, 2012, 04:48 PM
Excellent. That's what I was looking for. Placed my order. Might even hit a Mountain Lion pre-install, but not a big deal either way.

Replacing a 15" 2.66 i7. Late 2010 I believe. Well, it's going to a good home as a hand-me-down. Went with an upgraded SSD plus external Optical. First time in a long while my cost has gone up, but in total I believe it's worth it, based on my criteria. I think they've done all the right things here.

I used to replace batteries regularly, but not with this new technology. Upgradeability... overrated. I used to add RAM and bigger HD's to every machine, but not lately. And I remember the floppy retirement. It mattered about 5 times. Those of you that are nervous, don't be. Buy it and enjoy it. Assuming you can afford it. If not, the non-retina's are a bargain!

AppleScruff1
Jul 22, 2012, 05:30 PM
I'll bet the ones' at $3200 a pop are flying off the shelves.

davisnewman
Jul 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
Mine will be Thursday:D

HarryKNN21
Jul 22, 2012, 06:07 PM
He doesn't want to hear this or cannot follow logic.

Instead, he complains about a product that was designed exactly to not have what he needs/wants and will not buy.

Kind of funny actually:-)

Another poster makes a great point about a 3 year life cycle for PROs.
If you are in a PRO field you will certainly watch what is coming in development and in 3 years buy the next fastest thing.
3 years in the current computer development cycle speed is an eternity.

When ASUS, Lenovo, Samsung, HP et. al. copy this design for the PC world we won't hear one peep from these people

Some people are happy to see those PC makers copy the design of MacBook because they can buy a MacBook wannabe at much cheaper price and try to look down on people who buy MacBooks.

Also, PC laptops are always shxt and nobody give a fxxk to PC laptop's product life. My university friend bought an ASUS that has a 2GB Geforce after seeing I bought a 13" MBP for school work, laughed at me having no discrete GPU. However, during recent contacts he suddenly admitted his ASUS is crap and MacBook is elegant and powerful, so...

Thus I use my MBP everyday and it is my main computer. :p

faroZ06
Jul 22, 2012, 07:37 PM

It costs $600 extra for double the SSD space and a slightly faster CPU, and there is no ethernet port.

Now where is the new iMac and Mac Pro, Apple?

----------

Thunderbolt to Ethernet for the win.

Now if they would just send out the TB to FW adapter

Sure you can get anything over Thunderbolt, but I'm not even considering it until they make some decently-priced adapters. Ethernet is a must-have for me, and I'm not going to pay through the nose for a port that should be there in the first place. The same goes for FireWire 400 and 800.

Or they should just come free with the computer like those display output adapters that used to come free because Apple used to have retarded display outputs (miniVGA, are you kidding??).

----------

No offense, but it is safer to wait before buying. Retina PC displays are cutting-edge at this point and haven't been tested very much. Messed-up displays have already been reported, and you risk getting stuck with a computer that will seem OK now but break later on.

And in general, if some faulty part is shipped inside of some Macs, the part manufacturer will end up fixing it soon, leaving the first few people to hopefully return the computers in a recall. There was never a recall for my iMac because the GPU problem was not very obvious, so I ended up getting screwed when it broke 5 years after purchase. Thank you, NVIDIA, for testing beta products on me. Now I'm using AMD.

----------

So why did Apple drop (actually never include) the number on their Macs, hmm? There's no "MacBook Pro 2" or "MacBook Pro 3". They are referred to by the date of release. Why can't the iPhone be referred to by the generation like how the iPod touch is? Think about it, and you'll notice that Apple has NO hardware products except for the iPhone that use numbers.

It seems like you think that they called the 3rd-gen iPad "The New iPad", but the actual product name is simply "iPad".

----------

The same way people know the difference between the 2006 white iMac and the 2011 aluminum iMac.

----------

Yesssssss :D
Take a screenshot of his post, and post it as a comment on an article about Apple calling it the iPhone 5.

terraphantm
Jul 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
Sure you can get anything over Thunderbolt, but I'm not even considering it until they make some decently-priced adapters. Ethernet is a must-have for me, and I'm not going to pay through the nose for a port that should be there in the first place. The same goes for FireWire 400 and 800.

Or they should just come free with the computer like those display output adapters that used to come free because Apple used to have retarded display outputs (miniVGA, are you kidding??).[COLOR="#808080"]

I agree it should have been included, but $30 is not "paying through the nose" by any stretch of the definition.

faroZ06
Jul 22, 2012, 07:43 PM
You're just wrong. iPad and iPad (2012) share the same name. The MacBook Pro lines don't have numbers. So iPhone could (not saying will) follow a new iPhone line. iPhone (2012) will be great regardless of naming.

They call the iPhone by numbers because each new full version (not the "S" ones) has a very new design. The same could not be said for other Apple products, including the iPad.

terraphantm
Jul 22, 2012, 07:44 PM
They call the iPhone by numbers because each new full version (not the "S" ones) has a very new design. The same could not be said for other Apple products, including the iPad.

iPods have had fairly different designs without officially having numbers.

faroZ06
Jul 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
I agree it should have been included, but $30 is not "paying through the nose" by any stretch of the definition.

It is when you consider what you are buying. I'd have to pay $30 for a port that should be there anyway, and on top of that, it's an ugly and annoying dongle on the side. Most computer adapters are $5 at most from eBay. And then I'd need an adapter for each of my other ports that have disappeared, except for the fact that there is no TB to FireWire adapter yet besides the one in the Cinema Display.

I just don't like the idea of Apple making profit off of TB adapters for these very common ports. They should come with the computer or be sold at the manufacturing cost.

----------

iPods have had fairly different designs without officially having numbers.

True, but not recently. I guess I stand corrected if this goes back enough. Anyway, "iPod Nano 3" or something would sound awkward, so there is a reason for them not to number those. There is no "iPod" at this point, but they probably should have called the 2nd-gen iPod the "iPod 2".

There have been major design changes between '06 and '07 for Macs, but if they used numbers for those, we would have been on "iMac 2" (x gen) for a while or "iMac 2S" or iMac "2.x". I'm not going to go back to the PPC era for Apple.

terraphantm
Jul 22, 2012, 07:55 PM
It is when you consider what you are buying. I'd have to pay $30 for a port that should be there anyway, and on top of that, it's an ugly and annoying dongle on the side. Most computer adapters are $5 at most from eBay. And then I'd need an adapter for each of my other ports that have disappeared.

----------

True, but not recently. I guess I stand corrected if this goes back enough. Anyway, "iPod Nano 3" or something would sound awkward, so there is a reason for them not to number those. There is no "iPod" at this point, but they probably should have called the 2nd-gen iPod the "iPod 2".

There have been major design changes between '06 and '07 for Macs, but if they used numbers for those, we would have been on "iMac 2" (x gen) for a while or "iMac 2S" or iMac "2.x".
fact of the matter is, the machine lacks an Ethernet port. And based on the demand for the rmbp, that's not going to change. It's easily remedied with a thunderbolt adapter which costs only $30. If you can afford this laptop, you probably earn a good deal more in a single hour. If that's really enough to stop you from buying the whole machine, then more power to you I suppose. I haven't seen USB -> ethernet adapters for much less than $15 online though. I'd pay $15 extra to get native gigabit speeds since thunderbolt is essentially external PCIe.

And is FW800 really necessary? USB 3.0 is a hell of a lot faster and already offers wider support.

faroZ06
Jul 22, 2012, 07:58 PM
fact of the matter is, he machine lacks an Ethernet port. It's easily remedied with a thunderbolt adapter which costs only $30. If that's really enough to stop you from buying the whole machine, then more power to you I suppose. I haven't seen USB -> ethernet adapters for much less than $15 online though. I'd pay $15 extra to get native gigabit speeds since thunderbolt is essentially external PCIe.

And is FW800 really necessary? USB 3.0 is a **** of a lot faster and already offers wider support.

FW800 is somewhat necessary for me, and I have already found reports of people testing and finding that FW800 is faster than USB 3.0. USB also lacks some of the features of FireWire, and it uses more computer resources, which sucks. FW400 is absolutely necessary for me because of the video editing I do and the iSight webcam, and FW800 to FW400 adapters are common. The actual main reason I'd avoid getting a MBPR is that I already have a MacBook.

Also, I did a quick search for ethernet to USB adapters and found plenty for <$5, "Buy it Now" on eBay with free shipping.

jcpb
Jul 22, 2012, 08:02 PM
How is FW800's 800Mbps faster than USB 3.0's 4800Mbps, even after accounting for USB's overhead?

Also, are there any USB3 to Gigabit Ethernet adapters yet? USB2 to GbE = 480Mbps max. USB2 to Ethernet = 100Mbps max.

faroZ06
Jul 22, 2012, 08:07 PM
How is FW800's 800Mbps faster than USB 3.0's 4800Mbps, even after accounting for USB's overhead?

Also, are there any USB3 to Gigabit Ethernet adapters yet? USB2 to GbE = 480Mbps max. USB2 to Ethernet = 100Mbps max.

There is overhead and the computer's inability to actually put 4800mbps through USB. Remember that USB uses some of the CPU. I don't exactly know which is faster, and I am only relying on random Google search results. I'm going to test it as soon as I can, which will probably not be soon.

lincolntran
Jul 22, 2012, 09:21 PM
1. no upgradeable ram
2. glued battery
3. not enough hd space

1. You need more than 16GB?
2. You take your baterry out often?
3. You need more than 768GB on a laptop?
4. You still use wire?

seemo40
Jul 22, 2012, 09:34 PM

WOW. I got mine and love it! and where I am they have sold out. :D

BryanL1972
Jul 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
I just got tired of waiting,,with all my money saved to get a new 27 iMac,,so I went today to my local BestBuy,,and they had the new Macpro retinas in stk,,,as I stared at it on sale,,(both of them),,I made the plunge,,and am so happy I did..I wanted so bad to buy a Mac at an apple store..The whole experience is exciting to someone new to a Mac like me...but the local apple stores in my area..(Tampa,FL),,were all sold out,,and higher priced...if u can deal with BestBuy...and some of the ignorance at some of those stores,,,you might pick one up,,,(and do it now)...most all of there Mac products are on (back to school sales)...I am so happy to finally get a new luck ass Mac..I went for the highe 512 sad option,,,and a Thunder bolt display was on sale also...now I have the best of both...

JS82712
Jul 23, 2012, 12:47 AM
WOW. I got mine and love it! and where I am they have sold out. :D

haha i'd love to get one too, except im already got a 15' MBP last year and as a student...i cant afford to get one every year :p

Adidas Addict
Jul 23, 2012, 01:34 AM
Mine is still showing 7th-13th.
When did you ordered yours?
I placed the order on July 4th

I'm in Europe too, so I don't get it, what these Foxconn guys are doing there.

I placed my order on 14th July

drewisanapple
Jul 23, 2012, 01:46 AM

The Retina MacBook Pro is not techinically a different name to a redesigned product. However the idea that the iPhone could have a numberless name could be beneficial to Apple, it dosen't give them room to fear what to buy, "Do I Buy The iPhone 4 or 4s" or "I'm Going To Buy An iPhone."

It's about perception. We'll see soon enough how they go about naming it.

gnasher729
Jul 23, 2012, 03:03 AM
Some people are happy to see those PC makers copy the design of MacBook because they can buy a MacBook wannabe at much cheaper price and try to look down on people who buy MacBooks.

They would love to, but they can't. Take the MacBook Air: Intel has been paying PC makers about $500 million to build MBA competitors (called "Ultrabooks"). And what happened? Look hear: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/12/ultrabook_sales/

At Computex, Intel's then–top salesman Sean Maloney – now head of Intel China – confidently predicted that ultrabooks would account for 40 per cent of laptop sales by the end of 2012. According to IDC's Chou, that ain't gonna happen.

"We might hit a million [ultrabooks] this year," Chou told CNET. Considering that IDC estimates that 225 million laptops will sell during the year, Maloney and Intel missed their mark by a factor of 90.

So they all together will be happy to sell 1 million Ultrabooks per year! We don't have exact numbers, but Apple will sell about 16 million laptops in 2012, so we can safely assume that the MBA will massively outsell all Ultrabooks put together.

Fact is that they can't make copies that offer the same for the same money. At best they _can_ offer something much less good for a little bit less money. And then they run into the phenomenon that given the choice between a big, clunky laptop for $400, an Ultrabook that looks kind of nice if you don't look too close but isn't the real thing for $800, and an MBA for $1000, very very few people go for the Ultrabook.

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 03:12 AM
The Retina MacBook Pro is not techinically a different name to a redesigned product. However the idea that the iPhone could have a numberless name could be beneficial to Apple, it dosen't give them room to fear what to buy, "Do I Buy The iPhone 4 or 4s" or "I'm Going To Buy An iPhone."

It's about perception. We'll see soon enough how they go about naming it.

Also, "iPhone 5" sounds a lot cooler than "the latest iPhone". It generates excitement.

frabber
Jul 23, 2012, 05:01 AM
just call it the new iphone (when it is not or just released).

as time passes call it iphone late 2012, or iphone sept 2012 release or something when referring back to it.

also give it a mnemonic model number, to easily check if certain features are supported.

khull
Jul 23, 2012, 06:15 AM
Post is slightly going off topic. To bring it back, my order originally was 2-3 weeks has now been updated to say 1-2 with a delivery date 4 days earlier than originally quoted

Woolven
Jul 23, 2012, 06:36 AM
Post is slightly going off topic. To bring it back, my order originally was 2-3 weeks has now been updated to say 1-2 with a delivery date 4 days earlier than originally quoted

Arrgghh jealous! I've been watching mine like a hawk because I ordered on the 11th of July, still haven't changed from 2-3 weeks to 1-2 :(

iasky
Jul 23, 2012, 07:25 AM
I'll bet the ones' at $3200 a pop are flying off the shelves.

Indeed. In fact, one is flying my way right now! :D

terraphantm
Jul 23, 2012, 07:51 AM
FW800 is somewhat necessary for me, and I have already found reports of people testing and finding that FW800 is faster than USB 3.0. USB also lacks some of the features of FireWire, and it uses more computer resources, which sucks. FW400 is absolutely necessary for me because of the video editing I do and the iSight webcam, and FW800 to FW400 adapters are common. The actual main reason I'd avoid getting a MBPR is that I already have a MacBook.

Also, I did a quick search for ethernet to USB adapters and found plenty for <$5, "Buy it Now" on eBay with free shipping.
Computing resources required by USB aren't even worth mentioning on a quad core computer with hyper threading that can potentially run at 3.3-3.7 GHz. It's about the same CPU required by most on-board Ethernet ports

And if Ethernet is something you rely on for work, would you really buy a $5 eBay special? I would probably go to mewegg or amazon an buy from a vendor I have heard of. In which case the low end is $15. And again, having true gigabit and freeing up a USB port is worth $15 to me. Considering $30 is only 1% of what I paid... It's no big deal

And if you're buying a new laptop, it might be worth upgrading your video equipment. FireWire is dying. There's very little reason to stick with it over USB3. The rMBP is meant for people who live on the cutting edge

PS65
Jul 23, 2012, 09:13 AM
Email from Apple!

Thank you for your recent MacBook Pro with Retina display order. We know you are looking forward to receiving it.

We are delighted to advise you that we can dispatch your MacBook Pro with Retina display order earlier than anticipated.

Your MacBook Pro with Retina display will be ready to dispatch on 03/08/12.

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 10:56 AM
And if you're buying a new laptop, it might be worth upgrading your video equipment. FireWire is dying. There's very little reason to stick with it over USB3. The rMBP is meant for people who live on the cutting edge

From what I've seen, HDV cameras are alive and well, and they use FireWire exclusively. If I switched to flash memory, I'd have to deal with lossy compressed video. The tape really makes the most sense.

terraphantm
Jul 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
From what I've seen, HDV cameras are alive and well, and they use FireWire exclusively. If I switched to flash memory, I'd have to deal with lossy compressed video. The tape really makes the most sense.

My DV cam from ages ago works fine w/ even USB2 -- I'm sure HDV w/ USB3 will start to penetrate the market soon enough. Or if the pro market refuses to acknowledge USB3 is more than adequate for their purposes, then I can see thunderbolt being adopted, as it seems to be destined to replace firewire as the niche port that no one uses.

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
My DV cam from ages ago works fine w/ even USB2 -- I'm sure HDV w/ USB3 will start to penetrate the market soon enough. Or if the pro market refuses to acknowledge USB3 is more than adequate for their purposes, then I can see thunderbolt being adopted, as it seems to be destined to replace firewire as the niche port that no one uses.

TB might replace FireWire for this, but I can't really see USB being used for HDV video from tapes because it's not P2P. I'm not sure how your DV cam worked with USB 2.0, maybe you were in flash memory mode?

balianx
Jul 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Email from Apple!

Thank you for your recent MacBook Pro with Retina display order. We know you are looking forward to receiving it.

We are delighted to advise you that we can dispatch your MacBook Pro with Retina display order earlier than anticipated.

Your MacBook Pro with Retina display will be ready to dispatch on 03/08/12.

When did you order it?

And can you tell me in which step your order is? (it has 4 steps)

macmnlo
Jul 23, 2012, 02:50 PM
I order the 9th of july Europe
I'm in step 2 and apple give a date of shipping, the 3th of August....Hope they chage it

jbrenn
Jul 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
I order the 9th of july Europe
I'm in step 2 and apple give a date of shipping, the 3th of August....Hope they chage it
same here but in the US. Original window was aug 6-10 now aug 3-9.

DannyBoy20802
Jul 23, 2012, 06:41 PM
I bought mine 17th July, standard configuration on the 2.6 GHz model. I had an original ship estimate of 2-3 weeks with a delivery estimate of 7-13th August. The status is now showing a ship estimate of 1-2 weeks, but a delivery estimate of 10-17th August. WHY...?!?

uhslax24
Jul 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
I bought mine 17th July, standard configuration on the 2.6 GHz model. I had an original ship estimate of 2-3 weeks with a delivery estimate of 7-13th August. The status is now showing a ship estimate of 1-2 weeks, but a delivery estimate of 10-17th August. WHY...?!?

Call Apple sales. They'll set you straight!

vzwellijo
Jul 23, 2012, 09:47 PM
I ordered mine on July 3rd. 2.3 processor with 16 GB RAM. As of today, it still shows 3-4 weeks and July 31- August 6th. This is after I called Apple to complain about how long. They upgraded me to 2-3 day shipping, which took off 1 day. I'm so ready for this thing to get here.

macmnlo
Jul 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
Actually I'm on step 3, but still showing 2-3 weeks....

PS65
Jul 24, 2012, 02:43 AM
When did you order it?

And can you tell me in which step your order is? (it has 4 steps)

Ordered on 15th July. It's processing.

balianx
Jul 24, 2012, 03:09 AM
I ordered 11th July, changed to step 3 yesterday (23th) and was shipped this morning with expected arrival to 31st July.

Btw, Europe -> Portugal.

Sir Al
Jul 24, 2012, 04:25 AM

Issues with the rMBP...

my 2cents...
There will always be people complaining when features are removed, either because they are still one of the few that use it, or because it gives them one more reason to complain even if they don't really use the feature. I admit I am sometimes like that, I like to have all the features even if I don't readily use them, but like to feel peace at mind knowing that if I ever need them, I have them. But lately I've changed, and decided to clean up a bit, getting rid of junk I don't need/use to make my life simpler.

The rMBP is not for everyone, that's why Apple still offers the cMBPs for sale, and has even updated them to the same specs as the rMBP. I am coming from a PowerBook G4 and just upgraded to a rMBP. I must admit I've been using my desktop more the last 2 years than my PowerBook because some apps I use are Intel only or run too slow on the PowerBook. However, even with such ancient technology, it's been ages since I used the ethernet port on the PowerBook, and if I did it's because 802.11g was too slow for my needs. The rMBP's WiFi is blazing fast and I don't see myself using the Ethernet any time soon, even though I got the adapter just in case. I'd rather have the notebook thinner and use an adapter the few times I need it, than keep it thick just for the sake of Ethernet.

Optical drive? I don't remember the last time I used it unless it was to rip an audio CD which I haven't bought in years. All my software and media are digital purchases and downloads nowadays. I'd rather buy a lossless version online than try to rip it myself knowing it's not 100% perfect. I barely make discs anymore, hard drives are cheaper than DVD-Rs or BD-Rs. It makes me think who still uses optical drives? Just like I think how often do people break screens? It hasn't happened to me, nor anyone in my family except someone who is prone to break anything that touches his hands. However, I realize everyone is different, and if you are an optical disc fanatic then probably the rMBP is not for you. If you tend to break screens all the time, then maybe you shouldn't invest in $2k laptops and go for cheap netbooks that probably could handle a light fall. For most of us, I think optical drives and wired networking (especially with 802.11ac on the horizon) are on their way out, and Apple is a company who welcomes the future and anticipates new technology, it's not a surprise they deprecate old technology sooner than most companies.

I really welcome the ability to run 2 external monitors (actually 3, but it's not officially supported?), now that's a feature I've been waiting to see in an Apple laptop. I have an external monitor, and a TV I want on at the same time. Knowing I could even add another monitor is something I really welcome. I haven't used a VGA cable in years and seeing old technology like that on new PC laptops makes me glad I have a Mac. Most people have a high definition TV nowadays, and many have a computer monitor, too. Being able to use all the displays at your house for a Pro machine is something I see as more important nowadays than an optical drive. Not to mention the lighter weight, incredible screen, and all the other factors that make this machine great.

You said the list goes on and on like that... can you elaborate? I can't think of more reasons than the ones you listed. My 2 cents.

Macboy Pro
Jul 24, 2012, 09:09 AM

For now...

----------

The "issues" you mention (note that I left the ones about performance out, because I agree on those) are not issues but by design. People who bought the product and realised this afterward did not do enough research before their purchase and should have bought a regular MBP or MBA, or a product from a competitor for that matter.

I consider it good customer service that Apple is so lenient in taking back purchases without conditions. it shows that Apple puts value in the lifetime value of the customer as opposed to the value of one sale.

There are not that many companies that enable you to buy a product and return it because you don't like a documented feature or absence of a feature.

So, when the memory in my $3k 16GB Macbook Pro Retina dies after 1 year, they will take it back or charge me $1.5k to replace the memory (via the logic board). Its an understandable risk with an iPad because it is $500-$800. It is not a wise risk on a $3K laptop, just to get the "WOW that is thin" factor.

I agree with you that their return policy in 14 days is pretty good and commend Apple for that. I am a HUGE Apple Fan, but just concerned with their direction of putting more emphasis on looks and the WOW, vs the function.

CmdrLaForge
Jul 25, 2012, 05:02 AM

Well - he received his MBRr yesterday and I can say so far that even if the scrolling doesn't improve he loves it so much that he will not ship it back.

kcamfork
Jul 25, 2012, 09:30 AM

Really? Am I speaking with Tim Cook right now?!?!? /sarcasm

OZMP
Jul 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
I've just spoken to Apple, and they are telling me there is no way for me to request or pay for expedited shipping- Anyone in Australia managed to expedite their order?

Ordered a 2.3/16/256 on the 22/7/12, expected between the 2/8/12-9/8/12.