Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seth Mac Fan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Can you guys recommend a cheap usb wifi adapter that works with power pc macs and generally works good ? I do not need N because I have a G router . I know they are pretty cheap these days I just was wondering if you guys knew of one that is good and that you use and are happy with .

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Not to be picky, but the product in the link you provided says Intel-based Macs only. :D
If you've tried it personally it may very well work, I'm just reiterating what the page says...

I've used it on g4s and g5s on 10.4 & 10.5

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Not to be picky, but the product in the link you provided says Intel-based Macs only. :D
If you've tried it personally it may very well work, I'm just reiterating what the page says...

There is no such thing as a CPU requirement for a wifi dongle. The only requirements are certain OS because of wifi compatibility in the OS itself.

That spec is totally meaningless and I guess someone just made it up somewhere along the line.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
There is no such thing as a CPU requirement for a wifi dongle. The only requirements are certain OS because of wifi compatibility in the OS itself.

That spec is totally meaningless and I guess someone just made it up somewhere along the line.

I hadn't seen anything like that before, I was simply bringing it up to ensure that the OP wouldn't have issues..

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
What Mac you got?

I use an Airport Extreme with my G5 tower.

The Alfa AWUS036H works very well with great power too, but the drivers occasionally stall the OS and cause a kernel panic. I also have some kind of ralink or realtek CU88** 802.11n USB nub that worked, but just didn't have the reception I needed.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
USB WiFi Adapter for PowerPC

Hi.

I have a 1.33 GHz G4 iBook running OS 10.5.8.

This post is a bit involved, so please try to be patient.

As with many G4 iBooks, mine reports kernel panics whenever AirPort is turned on. In order to fix this, I ordered a Realtek USB Wirless-N LAN Adapter, RTL8188CU. It cost $6.97 (free shipping), came in two days, and works flawlessly. Installation was quick, simple and intuitive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29070363862...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3182wt_936

(To make a very long story a bit shorter, I lost irretrievable hours from my life searching for a downloadable driver for this adapter. Realtek inexplicably does not have a specific driver for this part, nor does their web site support Safari for downloading. I was forced to figure out on my own which driver to use.)

A mini CD driver installer came with the part. Rather than purchase an external drive or CD adapter for the disk (I wouldn't attempt inserting the mini CD in my disk drive), I went to Realtek's web site on my iPhone and typed the link into my word processor on my iBook for the driver I deduced would work with the adapter: RTL8192CU.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...eID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8188CUS

I made sure that AirPort was off. I copied the link above from my word processor. I then opened Firefox and made the above link Firefox's home page by copying and pasting the link. With Firefox still open, and the home page showing as the URL, I opened AirPort. I quickly navigated to the download page. I scrolled about halfway down to part number RTL8192CU. I then scrolled down to "Other" (OS) until I reached "Mac OS 10.5 Install Package". I turned off AirPort as soon as the download was complete in order to avoid a kernel panic and installed. I did not need to be connected to WiFi during configuration.

(The entire process took less than 10 seconds after turning off AirPort, not including installation.)

As above, installation was simple, though it does require a restart. Following restart, the adapter's WiFi Utility appears and guides you through setup and connection.

I then made some changes in the System>Library folder to ensure that AirPort would cause no further problems. I can easily undo these changes in the event that I need a quick get-in/get-out on the Internet using AirPort in the future. (I'd be happy to post these changes for anyone who thinks they may be useful.)

I've seen problems with AirPort for iBooks, and problems with finding drivers for this particular adapter on so many forums that I thought this may be helpful for someone.

PS: As if Realtek doesn't make things difficult enough the part is also listed around the web as GS-27USB-70.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.