PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody run Mac OS X Leopard/Lion? Could you please confirm something for me?

1theo0
Jul 21, 2012, 03:20 PM
If you run Mac OS X Leopard or Mac OS X Lion, please go to

/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/

and see if you've got those 14 files:

frontline.png
indicator_large.png
indicator_medium_simple.png
indicator_medium.png
indicator_small_simple.png
indicator_small.png
openinfinder.png
resizecursor.png
resizecursorv.png
scurve-l.png
scurve-m.png
scurve-sm.png
scurve-xl.png
separator.png

Reply to my thread and specify your OS please! :)
Thank you!

xStep
Jul 21, 2012, 04:01 PM
Yes in Lion, OS X 10.7.4.

1theo0
Jul 21, 2012, 05:39 PM
Thank you! :D I'll now wait for someone else with Mac OS X Leopard to confirm as well.

chown33
Jul 21, 2012, 06:48 PM
10.5.8: yes.
10.5.6: yes.

1theo0
Jul 26, 2012, 01:23 AM
Wonderful!
Now, I've created a script which helps you install the Mac OS X Mountain Lion Dock (and also restore the original one) on Leopard 10.5 and higher. If you're not feeling like updating to the new OS, you can at least try the new Dock.
I must warn you, however, that the dock won't look identical to the new one, even though I used its original resources from ML DP4.
The ML Dock now uses different layers to render the pleasing image. It has, apparently, a top layer for the icons and their blurred reflection, and a bottom layer for the dock itself, reflecting the background colors.

benwiggy
Jul 26, 2012, 09:33 AM
Note that modifying stuff inside /System generally (and modifying the internal contents of apps in there particularly) is a Bad Idea™.

Because apps are Code-signed, unauthorised modification may stop the app from being run. System updates may also restore the original files, or change the way that things work so that the patch is modifying the wrong thing.

If this were to fix a bug in a hardware driver or .kext, then perhaps there might be a justification. But for cosmetic reasons, it's imprudent.

Just stating the case so that people can make an informed decision. At the very least, make sure you have a backup of the original unaltered file.

Also, if you are including files from Mountain Lion in a publicly available resource, be aware that Apple might have a legal position on that.

alberson
Jul 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
Could you please post your Dock.app from Mountain Lion? I messed up mine with and outdated customization program and need the png files.

Thank you!

Edit: there are the files I need from Mountain Lion's Dock:
right2.png
right3.png
right4.png
right5.png
bottom1.png
bottom2.png
bottom3.png
bottom4.png
bottom5.png
left1.png
left2.png
left3.png
left4.png
left5.png
right1.png
scurve-xl.png
scurve-sm.png
scurve-l.png
scurve-m.png
frontline.png
DockMenus.plist
LaunchPadLayout.plist

gusbemac
Aug 24, 2012, 09:00 PM
Wonderful!
Now, I've created a script which helps you install the Mac OS X Mountain Lion Dock (and also restore the original one) on Leopard 10.5 and higher. If you're not feeling like updating to the new OS, you can at least try the new Dock.
I must warn you, however, that the dock won't look identical to the new one, even though I used its original resources from ML DP4.
The ML Dock now uses different layers to render the pleasing image. It has, apparently, a top layer for the icons and their blurred reflection, and a bottom layer for the dock itself, reflecting the background colors.

I customised my dock and I loved it, but I noticed the dock isn't blurry. How to blur the dock?

I use 10.7.4

Thank you!

1theo0
Oct 12, 2012, 08:19 PM
I customised my dock and I loved it, but I noticed the dock isn't blurry. How to blur the dock?

I use 10.7.4

Thank you!

In Mountain Lion, the dock now works differently... There are 3 layers: the shadow, the dock render, and the blurry reflections of the icons. Here's a good analysis: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1383647&page=2
I thought about dropping the Dock.app from 10.8 into an older version, but realized that it wouldn't work because of the version.

Could you please post your Dock.app from Mountain Lion? I messed up mine with and outdated customization program and need the png files.
Thank you!

See the link above, the author posted the app. I would have done so, but I now only run Snow Leopard and won't update too soon...