Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonknox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2005
I really do not get how this works i have tried to understand form other threads but I dont get it.

You use the screen spanning doctor?
is it safe?
you have to have the ibook open while using it?
does it diplay the full desktop on the external screen or does it do a dual monitor thing where it uses both screens?
what types of cables are needed?
anything else nessacary to do this?

Id be using an external monitor for more room with programs like photoshop.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
I never tried using the screen spanning hack, but I'm assumng you do it, and it works:) Sorry, cant help you there. I do have a 12inch iBook and use it most of the time on an ext. monitor and can tell you a few things:
1. the ibook comes with a "dongle" to plug (via VGA) an external monitor in
2. You will want to keep the iBook open to keep it from over heating. I've heard it cools through the keyboard. You can turn the display down on the LCD though.
3. As far as I know, the screen spanning will let you use the LCD monitor built into the ibook, and an external monitor, and have 2 desktops. As the ibook ships, you can only mirror whats on the LCD, on to an external monitor.
hth, nick

Jonknox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2005
nichos said:
I never tried using the screen spanning hack, but I'm assumng you do it, and it works:) Sorry, cant help you there. I do have a 12inch iBook and use it most of the time on an ext. monitor and can tell you a few things:
1. the ibook comes with a "dongle" to plug (via VGA) an external monitor in
2. You will want to keep the iBook open to keep it from over heating. I've heard it cools through the keyboard. You can turn the display down on the LCD though.
3. As far as I know, the screen spanning will let you use the LCD monitor built into the ibook, and an external monitor, and have 2 desktops. As the ibook ships, you can only mirror whats on the LCD, on to an external monitor.
hth, nick

thanks thats probably all I really need is that mirror thing for photoshop! I get my ibook today! Today i make the Big Switch so If I have tons of questions theyll be posted :D But I shouldnt I play around with Macs in the apple store all the time!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Jonknox said:
thanks thats probably all I really need is that mirror thing for photoshop!
You don't get more "room" w/ mirroring-- you see the exact same thing you would on your iBook screen, hence, a mirror. That's why most people will use the spanning hack. When you span, you can use the space on your iBook's display, as well as the external display (Say, put your palettes on the iBook/PowerBook and the image to be edited on the larger external display). Some people are not comfortable using the hack because it does just that- it hacks your iBooks firmware (it is not just some add-on software) and likewise, some people say that it voids your warranty. I have had no personal experience w/ this so I can't say for sure whether or not it does void warranty.

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
I'm still debating if I should use this on my iBook.
I'm afraid it's going to void my warranty when something does happen.
Does anybody got any problem yet using Screen Spanning Hack on their iBook?

When you reset the PRAM, does it remove the hack for sure?
Is there a way for Apple to trace the hack eventhough you reset the PRAM?
To reset PRAM, hold Command, Control, P, R while reboot, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.