Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I am soooo glad I don't live in that area anymore. People are so blinded by sports its disgusting:

(CNN) -- The statue of the late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno outside the campus' football stadium will be removed, the university's president said Sunday.
The tribute to Paterno had become an object of contention after the child rape scandal involving former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.
Paterno's statue and legacy came under fire after the release of the Freeh Report, the scathing investigation led by former FBI Director Louis Freeh.
Penn State board member resigns over Sandusky scandal
The report found several Penn State officials concealed evidence that Sandusky had sexually abused minors. Freeh concluded that Paterno could have prevented further sexual abuse had he taken action. Sandusky was convicted of 45 counts of child sexual abuse involving 10 victims.
"I now believe that, contrary to its original intention, coach Paterno's statue has become a source of division and an obstacle to healing in our university and beyond," University President Rodney Erickson said in a statement.
The 900-pound bronze statue, outside Beaver Stadium, will be stored in a "secure location."
NCAA not ruling out tough sanctions on Penn State football
"I believe that, were it to remain, the statue will be a recurring wound to the multitude of individuals across the nation and beyond who have been the victims of child abuse," he added.
On Sunday, Penn State employees began placing fencing around the statue, as well as a tarp. Local and university police were at the scene, and some students have gathered near the stadium.
Another tribute to Paterno -- the university library that bears his name -- will remain as it is, Erickson said.
"The library remains a tribute to Joe and Sue Paterno's commitment to Penn State's student body and academic success, and it highlights the positive impacts coach Paterno had on the university," he wrote.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/us/penn-state-paterno-statue/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Huge sanctions coming down from the NCAA tomorrow as well.

Good that needs to happen. I feel bad for the players who have nothing to do with this especially since some of these players use college to try and get into the pros so I hope they don't ban football (I hate football and any sport really so I'm not biased when I say that).

I do hope the University gets the **** sued out of them and isn't allowed to increase tuition on the students to cover for it though. Maybe next time they'll be smart and call the real police first.*

*And yes, I'm well aware that PSU police have jurisdiction but as we can all see from this scenario, it failed because an interested party was involved.

EDIT: I'm staying off facebook for the day. The last 15 (and probably more before that) posts on my wall are people saying things like "my life is ruined" and "this is the worst day ever, I'm in tears" and "everything we stood for is gone".

REALLY??? Seriously half of these posts are from people who didn't even go to the school! This is the mentality in central PA.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Good that needs to happen. I feel bad for the players who have nothing to do with this especially since some of these players use college to try and get into the pros so I hope they don't ban football (I hate football and any sport really so I'm not biased when I say that).

I do hope the University gets the **** sued out of them and isn't allowed to increase tuition on the students to cover for it though. Maybe next time they'll be smart and call the real police first.*

*And yes, I'm well aware that PSU police have jurisdiction but as we can all see from this scenario, it failed because an interested party was involved.

EDIT: I'm staying off facebook for the day. The last 15 (and probably more before that) posts on my wall are people saying things like "my life is ruined" and "this is the worst day ever, I'm in tears" and "everything we stood for is gone".

REALLY??? Seriously half of these posts are from people who didn't even go to the school! This is the mentality in central PA.
What are they going to do when the football program gets shut down.

----------

While they're at it, they should stop calling it Happy Valley too.
They also should change the name of Beaver Stadium, how can they say that with a straight face.:p

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
let's not fool ourselves here, ultimately it is the Penn State student body that will suffer most as a result of all the sanctions and penalties to the university.

Every student at that university should be allowed to transfer to any school that will accept them without any penalty.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
let's not fool ourselves here, ultimately it is the Penn State student body that will suffer most as a result of all the sanctions and penalties to the university.

Every student at that university should be allowed to transfer to any school that will accept them without any penalty.
While I agree to let them transfer the incoming freshman knew of the scandal brewing last year.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA

There's never any "penalty" for transferring schools, unless you're an athlete.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
What are they going to do when the football program gets shut down.

Hopefully they'll realize there's more to life than a game but I have a feeling they'll just wither up and die.

----------
They also should change the name of Beaver Stadium, how can they say that with a straight face.:p

Lol! I always thought that was a bad name for a stadium but if you crack jokes about it in central PA people look at you like you have no class for insulting the greatest thing ever.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Attachments

• 314089_10151115128667640_1828686609_n.jpg
    314089_10151115128667640_1828686609_n.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 68

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Really looking forward to seeing the NCAA press conference tomorrow morning - because then it gets real. JoePa gone? Whatever. He was old and probably past his time. A statue getting taken down? Who cares - except those who attend games. President and Trustees bailing? Not a big derailment with an entrenched institution like Penn State.

However, the one body that can really exert its influence on PSU is the NCAA (kinda/sorta). If they hit them with $30-60M in fines as rumored, that hurts, but much can be covered by a few wealthy boosters. It's probably one of those handful of ADs in the country that is profitable too, so not a huge blow.

Scholarship reductions or a postseason ban? Those can really hurt, but USC has proven it's not a death penalty. They sat out the past two post seasons, have less scholarships to offer, and are a pre-season #1-3 ranked team depending on who you ask and a top BCS title contender this year. PSU has no recent history or Lane Kiffin to overcome those setbacks like USC, so I think those would hurt more.

Really never expected a death penalty. Ton of cash, scholarship reductions, maybe some more oversight enforced, and perhaps a postseason ban for a couple years sounds about right to me.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Penn State just got bitchslapped by the NCAA.

Glad they didn't get the death penalty though. Penn State football is the entire town. How many jobs at the stadium, local restaurants and hotels would be in jeopardy if the football program was canned? No need to ruin even more lives.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Not harsh enough, IMO..

For reference...

Announcement Details:
- NCAA sanctions Penn St for $60 million (one year gross revenue for Penn St Football) Funds will be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university.
- 4-year Postseason Ban
- Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period. The program will be limited to 15 scholarships beginning for the next four years beginning in 2013. The normal limit is 25 per year.
- Vacate all wins from 1998-2011 (yes, 2011 not 2001)
- All players may transfer to another school without sitting out a year
- Players allowed to quit the team and keep their scholarship at Penn St
- Penn St must add new complianace positions at the school
- Probation for 5 years The NCAA imposes this period of probation, which will include the appointment of an on-campus, independent Integrity Monitor and periodic reporting as detailed in the Corrective Component of this Consent Decree. Failure to comply with the Consent Decree during this probationary period may result in additional, more severe sanctions.

EDIT: Also hearing that the scholarship limit may be waived for schools that accept Penn State transfers..

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Slap on the wrist. What the NCAA just confirmed is that what Miami did a few years ago is WORSE than child abuse, covering up child abuse, and lying about child about for years.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Slap on the wrist. What the NCAA just confirmed is that what Miami did a few years ago is WORSE than child abuse, covering up child abuse, and lying about child about for years.

Agreed. NCAA has basically just quantified child sexual abuse, and it is approximately twice as bad as what USC and Reggie Bush did (in terms of probation, competition bans and scholarship losses).

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Not harsh enough, IMO..

For reference...

Announcement Details:
- NCAA sanctions Penn St for $60 million (one year gross revenue for Penn St Football) Funds will be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university.
- 4-year Postseason Ban
- Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period. The program will be limited to 15 scholarships beginning for the next four years beginning in 2013. The normal limit is 25 per year.
- Vacate all wins from 1998-2011 (yes, 2011 not 2001)
- All players may transfer to another school without sitting out a year
- Players allowed to quit the team and keep their scholarship at Penn St
- Penn St must add new complianace positions at the school
- Probation for 5 years The NCAA imposes this period of probation, which will include the appointment of an on-campus, independent Integrity Monitor and periodic reporting as detailed in the Corrective Component of this Consent Decree. Failure to comply with the Consent Decree during this probationary period may result in additional, more severe sanctions.

EDIT: Also hearing that the scholarship limit may be waived for schools that accept Penn State transfers..

Wow...........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.