PDA

View Full Version : OS X Mountain Lion: Ready or not, here it comes.

WhackyNinja
Jul 22, 2012, 11:36 AM
With less than 3 days left, on the rumored release date of Mountain Lion (which is a strong possibility that the 25th will be the release date)

Ladies and Gents, are you ready? Cause Mountain Lion is on the prowl and ready to attack the Mac App Store.

Will you download right away? Or wait a few hours after its released? Are you excited? Cause we all are! :D

ChristianJapan
Jul 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
Ladies and Gents, are you ready? YES

Will you download right away? YES
Or wait a few hours after its released? NO
Are you excited? NO

answer inside ...

Senseotech
Jul 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
More than ready. The 2012 MBA is already running the GM from a regular upgrade: smooth as can be with zero hiccups. The desktop Hackintosh will take some work since I'm going to do a clean install and manually migrate back, and then the Hackintosh Server should be a standard upgrade.

old-wiz
Jul 22, 2012, 12:10 PM
I'll wait for 10.8.2 at least to get the initial bugs out.
Not excited..don;t particularly care.

nuckinfutz
Jul 22, 2012, 12:12 PM
Yes to everything.

Mountain Lion is a nice leap forward. Looking forward to more developers jumping aboard the iCloud train.

aziatiklover
Jul 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
Im already on ML :D feelsgoodman

Rennir
Jul 22, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'm gonna wait at least a week or two to see what bugs people report and then install it :P

MacDawg
Jul 22, 2012, 12:15 PM
I'll upgrade soon after release when I have the time
I will likely be on the road

Not excited, not anything
Fairly indifferent
Just a software update to the OS
Not likely to have much affect if any on my day to day life and experience

krspkbl
Jul 22, 2012, 12:29 PM
I've been ready for about a week now. Got everything I need. My new SSD is waiting to be installed alongside ML.

I'll be downloading as soon as possible :D Just hope the servers hold up and let me download it quickly!

DJJAZZYJET
Jul 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
I'll be downloading it as soon as I see it's out. Lion was abit of a disappointment, but this new OS looks much better. I hope apple updated the drivers for the AMD cards, because ever since the upgrade to lion on my iMac, the GPU is always hotter than it was in SL.

WhackyNinja
Jul 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
I've been ready for about a week now. Got everything I need. My new SSD is waiting to be installed alongside ML.

I'll be downloading as soon as possible :D Just hope the servers hold up and let me download it quickly!

I tried my Mac out with ML DP4, and it worked perfectly and smooth, Im sooo ready for GM, cause I know it will run smoothly :D

----------

I'll be downloading it as soon as I see it's out. Lion was abit of a disappointment, but this new OS looks much better. I hope apple updated the drivers for the AMD cards, because ever since the upgrade to lion on my iMac, the GPU is always hotter than it was in SL.

On the day of the release Im gonna be up all night, and waiting til it pops up in the Mac App Store :D

pjv1990
Jul 22, 2012, 01:01 PM
This is my first post so I'd like to say a warm hello to everyone :D

I am really looking forward to Mountain Lion, it will be awesome to get the reported stability and speed increases over Lion plus the new features. Ill be upgrading as soon as it hits the App Store

miles01110
Jul 22, 2012, 01:03 PM
Looking forward to (re)confirming that keeping/installing SL on my machines is the way to go.

-MRB
Jul 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
Meh. Looking forward to notification centre and iMessage working properly.

That's about it really.

Sylon
Jul 22, 2012, 01:10 PM
I'm always excited for new stuff, lol. It depends on work and how the Apple servers are if I download it immediately. I might give it a day or two.

awer25
Jul 22, 2012, 01:15 PM
I don't care for most of the new features, as they all seem to revolve around iOS integration. I am super excited for ML though b/c I've just build a new Hackintosh based on an Ivy Bridge CPU and GTX 670 GPU. Apparently ML supports the GTX 6xx GPUs out of box (unlike Lion), so the computer is built and sitting in my floor waiting for a fresh install of ML. It can't come too soon - I want to get this thing running! :)

WhackyNinja
Jul 22, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'm always excited for new stuff, lol. It depends on work and how the Apple servers are if I download it immediately. I might give it a day or two.

I hope Apple's servers are prepared for the mass of downloads lol

pdjudd
Jul 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
I hope Apple's servers are prepared for the mass of downloads lol

Apple utilizes Akamai for their content distribution - it doesn’t come from Apple’s servers in Cupertino.

ETA: For me, I will download it same day, but not at the exact time of release since I will be at work. I’ll wait until I get home.

macmongral
Jul 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
apple do not use their own servers they use a another firms that have servers at most of the main ISP sites so the load is distributed around the world

Jul 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
With less than 3 days left, on the rumored release date of Mountain Lion (which is a strong possibility that the 25th will be the release date)

Ladies and Gents, are you ready? Cause Mountain Lion is on the prowl and ready to attack the Mac App Store. Have been ready for a long time now, waiting for a totally underwhelming release

Will you download right away? NO Or wait a few hours after its released? More like a few DAYS Are you excited? NO, but I will probably buy it anyway becayse it's just 20 bucks, like any other shareware crap Cause we all are! :D

See above.

nampramos
Jul 22, 2012, 02:00 PM
Guys, I'm truing to install ML but I am getting an error when restoring a ML dmg into a USB stick to create a bootable stick for the clean install.

I formatted it to a GUID partition and when the restoring process of the dmg finalizes I get the following message:

"Restore Failure

Could not restore - Invalid argument"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

LizKat
Jul 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
I had kept one machine running SL until yesterday, but I don't have a really good excuse not to bring the workhorse up to Lion, so I finally did it. Farewell, Snow Leopard!

Even so, I have a lot of reservations about the whole gig of Apple dragging our laptops kicking and screaming into a post-computing era. There is a difference between simplifying things for novice users and dumbing down the planet. Sometimes, imho, Apple goes too far towards the latter. As long as there are still OPTIONS to see behind the glossy iOS look of a new OS, fine. But I wonder how long that will go on. I'm too old to rebel and write my own OS, but defintely not too old to shop around for one if I get to where I can't tell the difference between my iPhone and my laptop. For awhile, smartphones were getting smarter. That made sense. Now they're trying to dumb down their ancestors. That's an overreach. At least for another couple decades, I would say.

On balance, I'm as ready for Mountain Lion as I can be, as of yesterday afternoon. I'm really looking forward to some of the ML features but I'm only going to upgrade one machine immediately. I'll probably take a MacBook Air there first. It's a machine I don't back up because it gets everything it has on it from the workhorse or from a machine I just surf on.

Remember that cereal ad from way back when, with the two little brothers shoving a bowl of something or other onto the tray of their youngest bro's highchair? "Let Mikey eat it..." That's how ML will happen at my house. Let my no-backups MBA eat Mountain Lion first, and then we'll see about the others.

daveishere
Jul 22, 2012, 02:12 PM
Yep, just bought a 2012 MBA after the 11th June announcement, so as soon as i can be my complimentary download code i'll be downloading it.

Looking forward to powernap and dictation most, plus notes & reminders syncing with my iphone will be a very nice addition.

Bring on Wednesday!

santaseve
Jul 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
On July 5th, I was guessing that it would be the 25th to be released. People were saying I didn't know what I was talking about and I was stupid. Know, 1000s have said July 25th because of the same reasons.

M87
Jul 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
My body (and rMBP) is ready.

vincebio
Jul 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
yeah ill get it, but the official release better remove the wifi problem as ML GM is not working with my Wifi...yet SL does fine. (yes wmm is enabled)..

So is iOS6 crippled on my wifi for that matter..

gumblecosby
Jul 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
See above.

since your expectations are at about -1, I reckon you might actually be impressed by this release :)

MacDawg
Jul 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
since your expectations are at about -1, I reckon you might actually be impressed by this release :)

There are some people who wouldn't be impressed even if SJ rose from the dead
They would find a way to critique that

Jul 22, 2012, 02:52 PM

Not me; most of my comments are rabidly pro-Apple - but ML is definitely a downer for most longtime/experienced Mac users when compared to earlier OS X releases.

TennisandMusic
Jul 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
Not me; most of my comments are rabidly pro-Apple - but ML is definitely a downer for most longtime/experienced Mac users when compared to earlier OS X releases.

Yeah I've noticed the shift in your tone over this.

gumblecosby
Jul 22, 2012, 03:05 PM

I'd be very impressed if steve jobs rose and gave me xcode 4.5 on snow leopard

tarasis
Jul 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
Ladies and Gents, are you ready? -- Already running it
Will you download right away? -- Already running it
Or wait a few hours after its released? -- I've been installing with a couple of hours of the releases so far
Are you excited? No, nothing hugely exciting for me and my 3 year old hardware. Its Lion improved a bit.

Answers in bold.

nampramos
Jul 22, 2012, 03:19 PM
Answers in bold.

tarasis, can you maybe help me out with my problem?

I wrote it in page 1.

Thanks!!

tarasis
Jul 22, 2012, 03:32 PM
Guys, I'm truing to install ML but I am getting an error when restoring a ML dmg into a USB stick to create a bootable stick for the clean install.

I formatted it to a GUID partition and when the restoring process of the dmg finalizes I get the following message:

"Restore Failure

Could not restore - Invalid argument"

nampramos, I've not come across the issue. I've always installed the ML releases from my main partition and have never created a bootable stick version.

Have you followed all the steps from here? http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

Also look at http://ameinikan.com/blog/2012/07/11/how-to-fix-restore-failure-when-you-create-your-mountain-lion-bootable-drive as it deals with ML

Zwhaler
Jul 22, 2012, 04:03 PM
I'm still on Snow Leopard and don't see any compelling reason to upgrade for what I do. I don't need any of the iOS-like stuff. I don't need the updated Mail, I don't need the new Mission Control or Launchpad, full screen apps is nice but I don't need it... I certainly don't need the autosave feature or whatever it's called. I'm not bashing Lion or ML I just don't need it!

Jb07
Jul 22, 2012, 04:06 PM
Ready? Yes.
Will I download it right away? Probably not.
Am I excited? Not really. It's just a software update. I'll be excited when OS 11 comes out. :)

maswriter
Jul 22, 2012, 05:07 PM
I will upgrade to ML a day or two after its release. I suspect that access to the App Store will be difficult with all those people doing all those large downloads all at once. I'd also want to see what issues people run into with their upgrades. Of course, I will back up my computer before installing it.

Weaselboy
Jul 22, 2012, 05:22 PM
Looking forward to (re)confirming that keeping/installing SL on my machines is the way to go.

Hipster! :D

nuckinfutz
Jul 22, 2012, 05:29 PM
I'm still on Snow Leopard and don't see any compelling reason to upgrade for what I do. I don't need any of the iOS-like stuff. I don't need the updated Mail, I don't need the new Mission Control or Launchpad, full screen apps is nice but I don't need it... I certainly don't need the autosave feature or whatever it's called. I'm not bashing Lion or ML I just don't need it!

Sounds like some papyrus & an Abacus would fit your needs equally as well

Merks
Jul 22, 2012, 05:49 PM
I'm mainly looking forward to rebooting. iPhoto has been slowing down for me lately... a few other things have been slowing down... I wanted to reboot a month ago, but I figure i'll just tough it out for this.

MTShipp
Jul 22, 2012, 05:54 PM
I will go ahead and upgrade my rMBP because I get ML free and because ML most likely was thoroughly tested on it during hardware development.

Just today I upgraded my 2009 iMac to Lion from SL and do not plan to upgrade it to ML until several updates; at least 10.8.3 or higher. My wife and kids use it and I want it stable.

My 2011 Mini is on Lion and I will wait to upgrade to ML after 10.8.1.

My 2009 Mini is on Lion and I will wait to upgrade to ML after 10.8.2 or higher.

Wokis
Jul 22, 2012, 07:25 PM
I don't know if excited is the right word but I'm a little excited that I get to play with some new features :) Airplay in particular.

And I'm also wondering if rumors are true that they've added Intel QuickSync support for quicktime h.264 exports. That'd be nice.

wolfpackfan
Jul 22, 2012, 07:43 PM
I will be upgrading when released. My main interest is in the iCloud changes. I am hoping I can replace Dropbox completely with Documents in the Cloud, but I do have some concerns that I will need to investigate when released next week before I start copying all my files over (the least of which is how to copy files from Finder into iCloud without doing it one by one). Also anxious to see if I can copy PDF's into iCloud and then view them within IOS. This is a biggy for me. If not possible, I won't be using Documents in the Cloud. I'll just stay with Dropbox.

jason2811
Jul 22, 2012, 08:17 PM
I will be upgrading when released. My main interest is in the iCloud changes. I am hoping I can replace Dropbox completely with Documents in the Cloud, but I do have some concerns that I will need to investigate when released next week before I start copying all my files over (the least of which is how to copy files from Finder into iCloud without doing it one by one). Also anxious to see if I can copy PDF's into iCloud and then view them within IOS. This is a biggy for me. If not possible, I won't be using Documents in the Cloud. I'll just stay with Dropbox.

I'm confused how this can replace Dropbox if iOS doesn't have it's own file system. For example, if I currently want to see a Word document, I open Dropbox and click on the document and read it. How is it possible to do this same thing with iCloud when there is no iCloud app?

wolfpackfan
Jul 22, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'm confused how this can replace Dropbox if iOS doesn't have it's own file system. For example, if I currently want to see a Word document, I open Dropbox and click on the document and read it. How is it possible to do this same thing with iCloud when there is no iCloud app?

You do it within the app itself. For a Word document you would have to go into Pages and open the file there.

BoxerGT2.5
Jul 22, 2012, 08:42 PM
This may be a stupid question, but if I have a MBP and a MBA, do you have to pay twice to install mountain lion on both?

csixty4
Jul 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
This may be a stupid question, but if I have a MBP and a MBA, do you have to pay twice to install mountain lion on both?

Apple's always been cool about this. When you had to buy your OS on a CD or DVD, there were two options. One was a license for one computer *wink wink* and the other was a family pack good for five computers. In reality, it was the exact same disc. The only difference was the price and how it made you feel at the end of the day. They actually sold a good number of the family packs. Neither version checked back with Cupertino to see how many times it had been installed.

I think Lion inherited the App Store's limit of 5 machines, but Craig Federighi said one Mountain Lion purchase will upgrade all of your personal Macs at WWDC.

Senseotech
Jul 22, 2012, 09:32 PM
Apple's always been cool about this. When you had to buy your OS on a CD or DVD, there were two options. One was a license for one computer *wink wink* and the other was a family pack good for five computers. In reality, it was the exact same disc. The only difference was the price and how it made you feel at the end of the day. They actually sold a good number of the family packs. Neither version checked back with Cupertino to see how many times it had been installed.

I think Lion inherited the App Store's limit of 5 machines, but Craig Federighi said one Mountain Lion purchase will upgrade all of your personal Macs at WWDC.

Licensing for the MAS has always been all the Macs you own.

swingerofbirch
Jul 22, 2012, 09:34 PM
I think the question is whether Mountain Lion is like a normal 10.x.0 release or whether it's like 10.7.5. Although, even if it were called 10.7.5, I'd probably wait a little while for the canaries to fly down into the mine. I'm mainly hoping for little bug fixes and performance enhancement over Lion. The cool feature I'd like—Airplay—won't work on my Mac.

TheGdog
Jul 22, 2012, 10:22 PM
I will probably download it that day. I am not crazy excited, but I am anticipating the new features. I know a lot of people on here are complaining about "its just a bunch of iOS features" but if you own an iPhone and/or iPad its another big step in integration.

As silly as it might sound, one of the big features of ML (for me at least) is reminders. The reminders pane in iCal is lame, and more so since iCloud because they behave very different. Now reminders on my iPhone and Mac are the same.

I am also looking forward to Notification Center. No need for all these growl plugins everywhere, that stop working as soon as you update your system. I stopped using growl a while back, but since I like to know as soon as an email comes in, I can't hide my dock unless I want my mail icon to bounce. Drives me crazy!!!

Zarkizon
Jul 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
I'm looking forward to OS X Mountain Lion. There's going to be some added features that I'll use, and some I won't use. I don't understand why some people are thumbing down to the upgrade, it's fun to mix things up every now and again. That and some apps will require OS X ML, so you might miss out on that if you want to stay behind on an older OS.

vanc
Jul 23, 2012, 01:17 AM
If rumors are real, ML Final should be exactly the same as GM. No need to update if already on GM.

nicklasmp
Jul 23, 2012, 04:20 AM
I'm really looking forward to the upgrade, however the only thing i really care about is iMessage, and the AirPlay Mirroring feature, will be very nice without having to convert my movies and stuff to play it on my AppleTV

PBP
Jul 23, 2012, 05:23 AM
If rumors are real, ML Final should be exactly the same as GM. No need to update if already on GM.

GM is Final so its always the same.. If there's a new build then Apple would've sent that to developers before release.

Tar Sniffer
Jul 23, 2012, 05:38 AM
I'm not that excited about Mountain Lion, but I am looking forward to iMessage, Notification Centre, ungrouping windows in Expose, Safari 6 and the reported performance improvements. The other features probably won't get much use. In fact, the first thing I intend to do is remove Game Centre, Notes and Reminders from my dock, and ensure that FaceBook is never activated!

I would usually wait a few months before downloading, like I did with Lion, but since I only have thirty days to make an up-to-date request I'll probably be one of the first.

Nioxic
Jul 23, 2012, 06:16 AM
im not sure what features are in mountain lion?

i don't really follow the news

judging from what I've seen / read so far, i guess its nothing special

ill definitely get the update though... will probably forget all about it and get it in a couple of weeks :)

Mac32
Jul 23, 2012, 06:29 AM
I've always enjoyed upgrading to the newest OS X system, but after Snow Leopard I've avoided any more upgrades. Snow Leopard "just works", and Apple introduced so much nonsense and dumb "features" in Lion, that I'm gonna avoid upgrading as long as possible.
I see there are a couple of nice additions in Mountain Lion, but not enough to offset all the crap, ie. Versions, AutoSave, Resume, Mission Control (:rolleyes:) etc..etc..

WhackyNinja
Jul 23, 2012, 07:46 PM
Any speculations on when will OS X 10.7.5 come out, it could be tomorrow or Wednesday or even days after ML

aquadisiac
Jul 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
Apple utilizes Akamai for their content distribution - it doesn’t come from Apple’s servers in Cupertino.

ETA: For me, I will download it same day, but not at the exact time of release since I will be at work. I’ll wait until I get home.

Same as here with the bolded. My body is ready :D

heisenberg123
Jul 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
im not sure what features are in mountain lion?

i don't really follow the news

judging from what I've seen / read so far, i guess its nothing special

ill definitely get the update though... will probably forget all about it and get it in a couple of weeks :)

http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/

WhackyNinja
Jul 23, 2012, 11:27 PM
T-Minus less than 24 hours til Mountain Lion Day!

Sylon
Jul 24, 2012, 06:20 AM
Is this going to pop up available in the middle of the night or sometime during the day? What is Apple's 'usual' when it comes to OS launches?

pdjudd
Jul 24, 2012, 06:56 AM
Is this going to pop up available in the middle of the night or sometime during the day? What is Apple's 'usual' when it comes to OS launches?

I think Lion went up at 10 AM Cupertino time when it was released.

nlkccom
Jul 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
I just got my RMBP and qualify for the free ML upgrade. So exactly how will this work? Will Apple be sending me a code to redeem for the free upgrade? Or does the system automatically know I qualify? :confused:

Elven
Jul 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
I just got my RMBP and qualify for the free ML upgrade. So exactly how will this work? Will Apple be sending me a code to redeem for the free upgrade? Or does the system automatically know I qualify? :confused:

THIS (http://www.cultofmac.com/180264/got-a-new-mac-you-can-already-claim-your-free-copy-of-mountain-lion-from-apple/) may help you.

WhackyNinja
Jul 24, 2012, 11:05 AM
I think Lion went up at 10 AM Cupertino time when it was released.

I don't remember, but Lion was available a little bit earlier than 10AM

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/apple-launches-os-x-lion-via-mac-app-store/

The time on the article was 5:30 AM PDT...soo we can expect it earlier than that

MacFever
Jul 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
wouldn't it be good to release it in the early hours of the morning like 2 am so by the time most people are awake the servers have gotten less load from the diehard fans up-graders.

heisenberg123
Jul 24, 2012, 12:04 PM

you will need to register to get your redemtion code it wont automatically do it for you

frosty001
Jul 24, 2012, 01:07 PM
Any chances it comes out straight after the financial conference call? Am growing impatient.

WhackyNinja
Jul 24, 2012, 01:50 PM
wouldn't it be good to release it in the early hours of the morning like 2 am so by the time most people are awake the servers have gotten less load from the diehard fans up-graders.

Yeaaah and Im gonna be one of those who are gonna be upgrading RIGHT when it comes out ;D

----------

Any chances it comes out straight after the financial conference call? Am growing impatient.

Patience young grasshopper good comes for those who wait. Only 9 more hours til Mountain Lion Day. Hey look on the upside...we have LESS time than we did in February when it was announced :D

pdjudd
Jul 24, 2012, 02:00 PM

Apple utilizes local Content distributors - they don't do everything from one location.

Jamie0003
Jul 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
Apple utilizes local Content distributors - they don't do everything from one location.

They use Akami don't they?

Jul 24, 2012, 03:03 PM
They use Akami don't they?

AKAMAI, yes.

WhackyNinja
Jul 24, 2012, 03:44 PM
Mountain Lion confirmed for tomorrow!

toastie
Jul 24, 2012, 04:15 PM
any body know how this will affect people who have installed non apple supplied SSD's? i have a mid 2010 mac book pro with a samsung 830 SSD is this going to cause problems?

Jul 24, 2012, 04:51 PM
any body know how this will affect people who have installed non apple supplied SSD's? i have a mid 2010 mac book pro with a samsung 830 SSD is this going to cause problems?

There is another thread on this already - look for it.

toastie
Jul 24, 2012, 04:56 PM
There is another thread on this already - look for it.

thanks mate very helpful :rolleyes:

Sylon
Jul 25, 2012, 02:21 AM
Just bought CCC (finally, I know), cleaning out one of my extra external HDDs so I can make it my bootable backup. Movies and tv shows already transferred to my iPad for entertainment while the backup is going on.

Looking forward to it going live in the morning so I can spend the next many MANY hours trying to download it. Hopefully it doesn't take as many hours to download as I think it will (12-13hrs).