PDA

View Full Version : OS X Mountain Lion Distributed to AppleCare Representatives Ahead of Public Launch

MacRumors
Jul 22, 2012, 10:53 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/22/os-x-mountain-lion-distributed-to-applecare-representatives-ahead-of-public-launch/)

With just over a week left in the month of July that is expected to see the launch OS X Mountain Lion, 9to5Mac reports (http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/22/os-x-mountain-lion-seeded-to-applecare-reps-ahead-of-launch/) that Apple has officially distributed the final version of OS X Mountain Lion to members of its AppleCare support team. The company has provided employees with Mac App Store download codes to allow them to install the forthcoming operating system on their main work machines.AppleCare representatives have been testing OS X Mountain Lion on special Macs and via remote computing for the past few weeks, but today's news marks that the OS X Mountain Lion Golden Master seed has been supplied to representatives to be installed on their main work Macs.

The OS was supplied today to all AppleCare employees via a Mac App Store redeem code. Employees who have installed the build have confirmed that their seed is build 12A269, the same build provided to developers on July 9th.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/mountain_lion_applecare_download.jpg

Apple has yet to announce an exact launch date for OS X Mountain Lion beyond "July", but it appears that it could be targeting (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/15/apple-to-launch-os-x-mountain-lion-on-july-25th/) this Wednesday, July 25, with an announcement perhaps coming on the company's earnings conference call (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/02/apple-to-announce-3q-2012-earnings-on-july-24/) the day before. Apple used a similar launch strategy last year for OS X Lion, announcing (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/19/lion-launches-tomorrow-on-mac-app-store/) as part of the introductory remarks for its earnings conference call that the operating system would launch the following day.

Article Link: OS X Mountain Lion Distributed to AppleCare Representatives Ahead of Public Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/22/os-x-mountain-lion-distributed-to-applecare-representatives-ahead-of-public-launch/)

rorschach
Jul 22, 2012, 10:54 PM
Tuesday or Wednesday is almost definitely the day!

jav6454
Jul 22, 2012, 10:55 PM
So it begins... the next big hit on servers and data centers for Apple; hope they are ready.

chriscrk
Exciting! Can't wait to get it already! :D

Michaelgtrusa
Here we go 

edry.hilario
Jul 22, 2012, 10:56 PM
awesome no word on the imac... im fudged

Rocketman
Jul 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
Is this an existing practice to give CSRs an advance copy and more to the point, electronically with a redeem code? Apple seems to generally be morphing their distribution models this year.

nagromme
Jul 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
Greatóbut no matter what company the product is from, Iíd rather wait for the first... or better yet second... point update. Public release is always a bigger test than any prior test. I want that benefit!

aziatiklover
Jul 22, 2012, 11:09 PM
I wonder if my MBA that I ordered which will be deliver on the 25th of this month have ML preinstalled!?

austinguy23
Was kinda hoping they had put in some last minute tweaks to improve the animation lags we've been seeing on the Retina MBP (ML GM). Looks like they didn't tweak the GM any further.

I guess rMBP owners can just hope Apple isn't done optimizing the graphics processing capabilities of the OS and will release ML updates soon.

dbyway
I just got the new Macbook Pro with retina display not too long ago, I know in the past they've done some free OS upgrades for people who've purchased their products within a certain timeframe. Will they be doing this for people like me?

aziatiklover
Jul 22, 2012, 11:11 PM
I just got the new Macbook Pro with retina display not too long ago, I know in the past they've done some free OS upgrades for people who've purchased their products within a certain timeframe. Will they be doing this for people like me?

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

austinguy23
Jul 22, 2012, 11:13 PM

Well, you get ML free but you prob know that. Updates are usually free whereas new operating systems do have a slight cost but it's usually just $20 - $30.

M87
Jul 22, 2012, 11:18 PM

Anyone that bought a new Mac after June 11th gets Mountain Lion free.

dbyway
Jul 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

Anyone that bought a new Mac after June 11th gets Mountain Lion free.

Thanks!

ouimetnick
Jul 22, 2012, 11:22 PM
They should give MacRumors members a copy so we can test it out... If you know what I mean.:D

MrNomNoms
Jul 22, 2012, 11:25 PM
So it begins... the next big hit on servers and data centers for Apple; hope they are ready.

I hope that it also includes updates for iWork as well because my credit card is ready to be charged when they arrive :D hopefully if it arrives Tuesday/Wednesday, I move into my new place on Monday next week and have my internet all hooked up then. Hopefully iWork refresh will be out with the expansion of iCloud services. What will be interesting is where 10.9 and 10.10 occurs - are we going to move to rolling releases where maybe the next release is free since the 30% cut taken from developers via the AppStore is probably more than enough to fund Mac OS X development.

roland.g
Jul 22, 2012, 11:34 PM
I hope that it also includes updates for iWork as well because my credit card is ready to be charged when they arrive :D hopefully if it arrives Tuesday/Wednesday, I move into my new place on Monday next week and have my internet all hooked up then. Hopefully iWork refresh will be out with the expansion of iCloud services. What will be interesting is where 10.9 and 10.10 occurs - are we going to move to rolling releases where maybe the next release is free since the 30% cut taken from developers via the AppStore is probably more than enough to fund Mac OS X development.

People are often under the mistaken myth that Apple makes $$ from their 30% cut. The 30% that Apple charges on the iTunes Store (music, movies, apps, etc), and Mac App Store just covers overhead. It is break even to a minimal profit. They do it because it helps them sell gobs and gobs over iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc. It is less than 3-5% of their profit.

aziatiklover
Jul 22, 2012, 11:34 PM

They've been ready with Lion! I didnt have any problem last year.

faroZ06
Jul 22, 2012, 11:41 PM
MMMMMMM
I already downloaded a torrent anyway to test it. Don't worry; I erased it after trying it once. I'm seriously considering buying it when it comes out.

jackhdev
Jul 22, 2012, 11:49 PM
I'm still having issues with iTunes and Xcode in the GM. The basic OS seems okay though. I guess they'll fix these bugs in 10.8.1 or individual application updates.

kylera
Jul 22, 2012, 11:50 PM
What I'm curious about is - since I got my Air at the end of June, it makes me eligible for the free ML update. After its release, if I find a need to use the Internet Recovery feature, would I get Lion or ML?

CodeBreaker
Jul 22, 2012, 11:50 PM
Isn't there a bug where installation fails if the user has enabled FileVault 2 in Lion? I think it will be a disaster if this build goes live..

Aodhan
Jul 22, 2012, 11:57 PM

Yeah this is pretty much why I said screw it and bought a MacBook Pro. Stuck it in a BookArc, connected it to an external monitor, and called it a day. God only knows when they are going to get around to giving their non-mobile line some love.

hellomoto4
Jul 22, 2012, 11:58 PM
Does anyone happen to know how many days after this occurred last year Lion was released?

EDIT: This is significant because, as 9to5 points out, the last generation of OS X, Lion, was seeded to AppleCare reps two days before it went out to the general public.

Definitely looking at this week then. Perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday.

Rennir
Jul 23, 2012, 12:02 AM
Can't wait til Mountain lion comes out! :D Looking forward to upgrading for free :)

MrNomNoms
Jul 23, 2012, 12:14 AM
People are often under the mistaken myth that Apple makes $$ from their 30% cut. The 30% that Apple charges on the iTunes Store (music, movies, apps, etc), and Mac App Store just covers overhead. It is break even to a minimal profit. They do it because it helps them sell gobs and gobs over iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc. It is less than 3-5% of their profit.

But the cost of Mac OS X is pretty minimal given that it is already very much mature at this point so even if they're generating $1billion in sales with eeking out a $50million profit (5%) I'm sure it would be more than enough to pay for the maintenance of the operating system purely on the basis of man power cost alone.

rgarjr
Jul 23, 2012, 12:15 AM
Its about that time for ML.

austinguy23
Jul 23, 2012, 12:16 AM

Link your source or you're just pulling that out of your buttocks.

waqas
Jul 23, 2012, 12:20 AM
Hmmm. 25th July seems so far off!

britboyj
Jul 23, 2012, 12:30 AM
I'm suspicious of the claim they put it on their work machines. Apple is VERY, VERY careful about what software gets put on their machine, even for OSes and their own software due to the reliance on SAP at the corporate level.

Lion was out for a good six weeks before our machines were upgraded in the Enterprise Sales side of things, as a known bug existed with some SAP buttons not working.

ALL of Apple Corporate runs through SAP, at least as far as repairs and transactions go. There are some front-end applications (ECHO, etc) that make things easier, but SAP is king.

If AppleCare reps have second "test" machines where they can try and reproduce customer issues I can get it, but main machine? No way.

JohnDoe98
Jul 23, 2012, 12:46 AM
Isn't there a bug where installation fails if the user has enabled FileVault 2 in Lion? I think it will be a disaster if this build goes live..

Yes, but there was a plausible hypothesis this was only happening for people using the pirated copies. Running the installer that comes from the MAS seems to be fine, yet those who tried to run the extracted InstallESD are the ones who encountered this bug requiring FileVault to be turned off. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue if that holds true.

johnparjr
Jul 23, 2012, 01:01 AM

He is correct in his post about it being almost a break even venture

Nozuka
Jul 23, 2012, 01:04 AM

they are using akamai... so any important ISP should have a cached version of it anyway.

dra
Jul 23, 2012, 01:07 AM
please do it this friday :) need to buy a gift card and have to work during the week :p

C.G.B. Spender
Jul 23, 2012, 01:14 AM
I'm still having issues with iTunes and Xcode in the GM. The basic OS seems okay though. I guess they'll fix these bugs in 10.8.1 or individual application updates.

I had more issues with the GM release than with DP4. All kinds of issues. The annoying Mission Control bug, then Preview bugs. Randomly slow.

olowott
Jul 23, 2012, 01:17 AM
so excited:D

But am back home in Africa where internet - (in a race with a snail will lose so badly) gonna take me a whole week to upgrade or about 5 days if electricity is constant:(:(

GimmeSlack12
Jul 23, 2012, 01:21 AM
I'm really not trying to burst bubbles here, but I just installed the ML GM and for the life of me can hardly tell what's different.

rdlink
Jul 23, 2012, 02:11 AM
I'm really not trying to burst bubbles here, but I just installed the ML GM and for the life of me can hardly tell what's different.

Different from what?

Winni
Jul 23, 2012, 02:42 AM
I had more issues with the GM release than with DP4. All kinds of issues. The annoying Mission Control bug, then Preview bugs. Randomly slow.

"Upgrading" an OS X installation is the same as "upgrading" a Windows installation: The only thing that works is formatting the hard disk and making a CLEAN install.

The "upgrade" to Mountain Lion GM took me a week of my spare time because of this, but the result now is actually very good.

Ppq
Jul 23, 2012, 02:45 AM
Different from what?

Different from. :-))

C.G.B. Spender
Jul 23, 2012, 02:51 AM
"Upgrading" an OS X installation is the same as "upgrading" a Windows installation: The only thing that works is formatting the hard disk and making a CLEAN install.

The "upgrade" to Mountain Lion GM took me a week of my spare time because of this, but the result now is actually very good.

It's far from being the same. It's just QA issue with Apple lately. I've been upgrading Tiger up to Mountain Lion right now with no issues. Mountain Lion is the first one with upgrade issues.

adrian.oconnor
Jul 23, 2012, 02:55 AM

I thought it was pretty well established that this is how Apple run the app store and itms? Apple's margins are all in the hardware... You can see it the quarterly figures that Apple releases -- take a look on Tuesday and note the profitability of the store versus iPad, iPhone, Mac and iPod.

MacHiavelli
Jul 23, 2012, 02:58 AM

Some good hints, tips, advice and info here: http://www.appleinsider.com/topics/Inside_Mountain_Lion.html

adrian.oconnor
Jul 23, 2012, 03:08 AM
Yes, but there was a plausible hypothesis this was only happening for people using the pirated copies. Running the installer that comes from the MAS seems to be fine, yet those who tried to run the extracted InstallESD are the ones who encountered this bug requiring FileVault to be turned off. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue if that holds true.

Wait, what are you saying? I've installed Lion on two of my Macs using an extracted InstallESD (burned to DVD). I'm not a pirate.

OLDCODGER
Jul 23, 2012, 03:13 AM
Combining System Updates with App Store is more than enough to stop me cold! Not interested.

NotAdvisable
Jul 23, 2012, 04:00 AM
Combining System Updates with App Store is more than enough to stop me cold! Not interested.

... and why?

SBlue1
Jul 23, 2012, 04:02 AM
Cool, can't wait. :)

KENPHOTO
Jul 23, 2012, 04:02 AM

I was also waiting for the iMac upgrade. Decided to get the retina MacBook instead. Best thing I ever did. I will get a 27" retina cinema display when they are released eventually to make up for the lost screen real estate.

kristoffer4
Jul 23, 2012, 04:06 AM
So a release on tuesday? :)

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 04:17 AM
please do it this friday :) need to buy a gift card and have to work during the week :p

Don't worry. Even if it comes out on Wednesday, you'll still be able to get it on Friday. They have factory workers in China working 20-hour days, churning out all the extra bits they'll need.

ixodes
Jul 23, 2012, 04:17 AM
Exciting! Can't wait to get it already! :D

iToyz influence killed the excitement after Snow Leopard, diluting OS X with useless eye candy. What remains to be seen is how it's affected my workflow in ML. I'm going to let others be Apples field testers & read the reports here.

I realize that sooner or later I'll have to give up my much loved SL, and I'd rather get it over with if I can live with ML. Perhaps by 10.8.4 that will become realistic. Only time will tell.

MrNomNoms
Jul 23, 2012, 05:06 AM
iToyz influence killed the excitement after Snow Leopard, diluting OS X with useless eye candy. What remains to be seen is how it's affected my workflow in ML. I'm going to let others be Apples field testers & read the reports here.

I realize that sooner or later I'll have to give up my much loved SL, and I'd rather get it over with if I can live with ML. Perhaps by 10.8.4 that will become realistic. Only time will tell.

What has been removed that will make your 'work flow' worse? can we actually have some specifics rather than gross emotionally laden hysterics? What has been lost with the focus on iOS devices? what features that are missing in Mac OS X due to the rise of iOS based devices?

Hawkeye411
Jul 23, 2012, 06:20 AM
Come to papa!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/2770193219_****b46c32.jpg

efrank772
Jul 23, 2012, 07:02 AM

Yes, it will be. If you bought a new Mac the day of or after the official Keynote release on June 11th, then Mountain Lion will be free for you. Apple will tell you how to download it when the time comes from the link below so you get your copy free.

More info here: http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

Kar98
Jul 23, 2012, 07:04 AM
I'm still having issues with iTunes and Xcode in the GM.

Like, what, in iTunes?

Kebabselector
Jul 23, 2012, 07:07 AM
I've updated my VMware mac to the GM - not jumped and updated my main Mini yet (although it's sitting in my App Store purchased list awaiting a click!)

Stuipdboy1000
Jul 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
What time did Lion launch last year? I was away on holiday and never got a chance to upgrade until a couple of week it was released.

HalfBlazed
Jul 23, 2012, 07:35 AM
While I am excited for Mountain Lion to arrive this week, I am even more curious as to what Apple will be doing with the names after ML.

I previously thought that Mountain Lion was going to be the final release of OS X but at one of the KeyNotes it was mentioned that they will be releasing an updated OS each year.

There really aren't any GOOD cat names left that I can think of. Lynx, Sabertooth Tiger and HouseCat don't seem like likely candidates; SaberTooth Tiger is kinda cool I have to admit.

Maybe they will switch to Bears or Reptiles or something like that. OSX RattleSnake FTW!

Carlanga
Jul 23, 2012, 07:56 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/felidae.png

JohnDoe98
Jul 23, 2012, 08:03 AM
Wait, what are you saying? I've installed Lion on two of my Macs using an extracted InstallESD (burned to DVD). I'm not a pirate.

Right, the bug that was mentioned and that I was talking about does not apply to installs from USBs or DVDs. Only those from drive that have FileVault on them.

PJMAN2952
Jul 23, 2012, 08:11 AM
Hope the servers are ready! I am going to buy it on the first day it comes out!

tdhurst
Jul 23, 2012, 08:12 AM
MMMMMMM
I already downloaded a torrent anyway to test it. Don't worry; I erased it after trying it once. I'm seriously considering buying it when it comes out.

It's $20. You felt it necessary to torrent it first?

legacyb4
Jul 23, 2012, 08:31 AM
How stable is that VM? Would love to get some info on what versions, etc. you've been able to sling together to get everything up and running...

VMware Mac

MadDoc
Jul 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
I'm curious as to wether the GM build will be updatable via software update.

Btw, I'm a legit developer - not a torrenter.

Gregintosh
Jul 23, 2012, 08:37 AM

I have no clue why people still think the released version is different in any way than the GM. GM stands for GOLD MASTER, that is THE copy, bit for bit, that will be released to the public. There should be 0 difference between installing "GM" and upgrading from the App store.

Yet for some reason, with any OS release on Mac and even Windows, people still somehow feel the need to ask questions if their "GM" will have certain features or be compatible with certain things, etc. ITS THE SAME THING PEOPLE.

It's like getting a book on pre-order early and then asking people if the "full" one at the book store will have a different ending when it comes out.

roland.g
Jul 23, 2012, 08:46 AM

I can find that for you. I have looked the data up before and linked the source. Just didn't take the time to do it yesterday. Of course you could get off of your lazy buttocks and find the same information yourself. :cool:

GimmeSlack12
Jul 23, 2012, 09:08 AM
Different from what?

Different from Lion.

OLDCODGER
Jul 23, 2012, 09:09 AM
... and why?

Haven't got/don't want Apple ID. Herds are for farmers and marxists.

stukick
Jul 23, 2012, 09:35 AM
Don't get too excited guys and gals. Been using GM 10.8 for a week now, and it ain't all that great.

mac.fanatic
Jul 23, 2012, 09:51 AM
What I'm curious about is - since I got my Air at the end of June, it makes me eligible for the free ML update. After its release, if I find a need to use the Internet Recovery feature, would I get Lion or ML?

Good question, I would think that you would get Lion again but since you would have already purchased a copy of Mountain Lion with your Apple ID, you wouldn't have to purchase it again. You would be able to install it from the MAS.

Kebabselector
Jul 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
How stable is that VM? Would love to get some info on what versions, etc. you've been able to sling together to get everything up and running...

It's running on the current version of VMWare Fusion. It's generally fine, slight graphical glitch when the notification tab slides in.

mex4eric
Jul 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hmmm. 25th July seems so far off!

Yes, the day after tomorrow is so far away. I will have to get busy doing something totally unrelated to avoid thinking about it.

rygamble
Jul 23, 2012, 10:25 AM

Cool story have fun having a year-old OS that's only going to get older.

OLDCODGER
Jul 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
Cool story have fun having a year-old OS that's only going to get older.

As long as I can run Snow Leopard (legit or otherwise), the software I use will continue to function - I have no need for more software.

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 10:55 AM
It's $20. You felt it necessary to torrent it first?

Is it $20 right now for everyone?

xgman
Jul 23, 2012, 11:10 AM

Same version as released, and software updates to it will come via the app.

NotAdvisable
Jul 23, 2012, 11:20 AM

One in a million.

OLDCODGER
Jul 23, 2012, 11:44 AM
One in a million.

And proud of it. :)

MadDoc
Jul 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
Same version as released, and software updates to it will come via the app.

Thanks

iDuel
Jul 23, 2012, 03:41 PM
Although I am very excited for ML, I can't get over the fact that Software Updates will be handled in the MAS. It just doesn't seem natural to me.

tdhurst
Jul 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
Is it $20 right now for everyone?

No, the company that made it hasn't released it for sale.

----------

I have no clue why people still think the released version is different in any way than the GM. GM stands for GOLD MASTER, that is THE copy, bit for bit, that will be released to the public. There should be 0 difference between installing "GM" and upgrading from the App store.

Yet for some reason, with any OS release on Mac and even Windows, people still somehow feel the need to ask questions if their "GM" will have certain features or be compatible with certain things, etc. ITS THE SAME THING PEOPLE.

It's like getting a book on pre-order early and then asking people if the "full" one at the book store will have a different ending when it comes out.

If you have access to the Gold Master, you should already know the answers to these questions.

moderngamenewb
Jul 23, 2012, 04:52 PM
Although I am very excited for ML, I can't get over the fact that Software Updates will be handled in the MAS. It just doesn't seem natural to me.

I agree. The Software Update being in the Mac App Store is going to take some getting used too. I'm so used the old way. I'll probably end up trying to go to the menu bar for the software update instead of the Mac App Store a few times in the beginning out of habit.

iDuel
Jul 23, 2012, 05:19 PM
I agree. The Software Update being in the Mac App Store is going to take some getting used too. I'm so used the old way. I'll probably end up trying to go to the menu bar for the software update instead of the Mac App Store a few times in the beginning out of habit.

My understanding is that the Menu Bar link will still be there, it will just open the MAS.

austinguy23
Jul 23, 2012, 05:19 PM

Do you also refuse to drink tap water out of fear that the government is spiking it with mind-controlling substances?

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 06:18 PM
No, the company that made it hasn't released it for sale.[COLOR="#808080"]

Yes, so that's why I felt it necessary to torrent it instead of buying. I deleted my ML boot partition anyway, and I'll buy it when it comes out maybe.

OLDCODGER
Jul 23, 2012, 06:28 PM
Do you also refuse to drink tap water out of fear that the government is spiking it with mind-controlling substances?

Don't confuse an individual with the paranoid. If you are content to be shepherded around - without any choice, good for you.

I don't see why any company should know who buys their products - as long as the money is good.

Carlanga
Jul 23, 2012, 07:58 PM

Becuase that was only true when they were on hard media. Last year lion was tweaked slightly compared to the GM. Since it is a digital version they can continue tweaking anything they feel while when things were done in hard media the presses can't be stopped for small stuff and change the GM disc. So yeah GM does not signify user release anymore.

poodlepp
Jul 23, 2012, 10:54 PM
This is it, the new operating system (Mountain Lion)?!

Dear God, PLEASE send Steve Jobs back to us.

Apple quality and innovation seems to be tanking? I notice on the App Store that new offerings are generally kind of cheesy, my calls to Tech Help at Apple are being answered by people who don't know the product/s, and these pitiful OS changes should have just been normal upgrade downloads.

I am REALLY disappointed, Tim Cook.
:(

moderngamenewb
Jul 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
My understanding is that the Menu Bar link will still be there, it will just open the MAS.

I wonder if loading the software updates in the App Store will go faster than the regular software update, which seems to take a few minutes to check for updates

roland.g
Jul 24, 2012, 04:21 PM

Today Apple announced quarterly revenue of 35.0 billion. And gross margin of 42%. That leaves around 15 billion. At 6% of their total net Revenue (from the chart), the iTunes Store would account for 900 million before applying fixed or allocated fixed costs. That would presumably already be net of the 70% of iTS revenue owed to developers, music labels, and studios. Apple execs have repeatedly said that iTS operates at or near break even. They may be making $200 million on it. I'd say that is a drop in the bucket of both their revenue and profit.

If you need more data go to the SEC website and lookup their 10k filing.

However, I'll say it again. iTS exists to drive iOS device sales. Just look that the iPhone segment of their earnings.

rdlink
Jul 25, 2012, 10:56 PM
Different from Lion.

Wow. Mind boggling.