Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkillgo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Has apple said anything about adding an option to Safari (hopefully for at least the iPad, but even better would be iPad and iPhone) to force safari to ignore mobile sites and display websites the same as if on a computer?

I know there are third party apps that do this, but with the new Safari syncing coming with the new version of OS X, I'd like to take advantage of it. However, if it converts websites to the mobile version on my iPad or iPhone, that will be annoying.

Thanks for any help.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
"force safari to ignore mobile sites" Would mean that Safari lies about itself and tells the website that it supports desktop resolution, or isn't actually an iPhone among other things.

Bug the website owners that you browse if this happens frequently, or otherwise ditch the site if their mobile version is not worth looking at on an iOS device.

dkillgo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
"force safari to ignore mobile sites" Would mean that Safari lies about itself and tells the website that it supports desktop resolution, or isn't actually an iPhone among other things.

Bug the website owners that you browse if this happens frequently, or otherwise ditch the site if their mobile version is not worth looking at on an iOS device.

Alright.

I was kind of hoping that apple would add a feature to their browser that many (better) third party browers use.

Thanks for the answer.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I was kind of hoping that apple would add a feature to their browser that many (better) third party browers use.

If that's so important to you and you claim the other browsers are "better" then why is this even a question?

dkillgo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
If that's so important to you and you claim the other browsers are "better" then why is this even a question?

Because, as I said in my original post, I would like to take advantage of the syncing between Safari on my MacbookPro and iPad/iPhone. I am guessing that there may be some complications when the mobile devices try to convert a site to a mobile version.

It is not a huge deal, I was just curious.

I called the other third party apps "better" because they are able to ignore mobile sites and display the normal "desktop" version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.