PDA

View Full Version : Another Report that the Next iPhone is Already in Production in China

MacRumors
Jul 22, 2012, 11:45 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/another-report-that-the-next-iphone-is-already-in-production-in-china/)

Digitimes (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120722PD200.html) seemingly confirms a previous report (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/14/iphone-5-production-underway-for-an-expected-fall-launch/) that the next generation iPhone has already started production in China.Pegatron has begun production of a new version of the Apple iPhone at its factory in Shanghai, eastern China, according to industry sources in Taiwan.The newspaper cites "industry sources" for the knowledge.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/iphone_4in_4s_ciccarese.jpg

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/iphone_4in_4s_ciccarese_large.jpg)
Rendered mockup of the rumored taller iPhone with 4-inch display (left) and iPhone 4S (right)
Click for larger
Earlier this month, Japanese blog Macotakara first reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/14/iphone-5-production-underway-for-an-expected-fall-launch/) that the next generation iPhone had already gone into production. These reports do somewhat conflict (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/18/next-generation-iphone-with-lte-nfc-and-1-gb-ram-reportedly-still-in-engineering-testing/) with a BGR report that the next generation iPhone is still in an engineering verification test. BGR believes that the new iPhone will carry 1GB of RAM as well as both LTE and NFC support. Regardless, it seems there are ongoing signs that the next iPhone is approaching.

The next generation iPhone will likely launch in the September or October -- approximately one year after the launch of the iPhone 4S.

Article Link: Another Report that the Next iPhone is Already in Production in China (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/another-report-that-the-next-iphone-is-already-in-production-in-china/)

Michaelgtrusa
Jul 22, 2012, 11:46 PM
The good news keeps coming 

jav6454
Jul 22, 2012, 11:46 PM
Please not taller... that would suck.

Koodauw
Jul 22, 2012, 11:47 PM
Not wider, just taller huh. I wish is was wider too.

moldy912
Jul 22, 2012, 11:47 PM
It seems like everything is really falling into place. All we need is notice of a conference from Apple.

cvaldes
Jul 22, 2012, 11:48 PM
LOL, Digitimes.

b166er
Jul 22, 2012, 11:49 PM
I am so sick of looking at that home button.

sbrhwkp3
Jul 22, 2012, 11:50 PM
Looking forward to upgrading.

Bishwasher
Jul 22, 2012, 11:53 PM

Shut your eyes then :D

Bishwasher
Looking forward to upgrading.

Me too :bigsmiley

lannisters4life
Haha Pegatron > Foxconn in every way

Rocketman
Jul 22, 2012, 11:54 PM
I think maybe it will have a notification center band not another row of icons. That's my guess.

Rocketman

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14901620&highlight=notification+center#post14901620

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14941930&highlight=notification+center#post14941930

Illusion986
Jul 22, 2012, 11:55 PM
Looking forward to having 5 safari windows open making that preorder go thru :cool:

garylapointe
Jul 22, 2012, 11:56 PM
If all it's got is a few more pixels, it won't be much of an upgrade. But at least they'll be able to call it the iPhone 6.

Everyone complained with the iPhone 5 (4s) not having much: more megapixels, faster processor, faster graphics processor, better lens, 64gb option. BT 4.0, mirroring (or did the 4 have that?), 1080p video. That's actually a lot.

I'm not sure what else this is going to offer beside the screen, (possibly) an incompatible dock connector, some speed increase (of course) and a bunch of apps that don't utilize the screen.

It might be a little thinner since they can spread out the battery, but more screen will probably eat more power, right?

(Oops, I forgot about LTE. Everyone can use that at their location, right?!?)

Gary

honjoe
Jul 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
Same here, I think that the new iPhone would look stink, if it's just taller. Also it would seem lazy on Apple's part.

URFloorMatt
Jul 23, 2012, 12:05 AM
If all it's got is a few more pixels, it won't be much of an upgrade.Heh. I'm glad we've come full circle. Before we had threats and predictions that if they didn't offer a 4-inch (minimum!) screen, they would be faced with irrelevance. Now it's who cares about a 4-inch screen?

NFC, LTE, 4-inch screen, improved camera, Passbook, turn-by-turn navigation? This thing is loaded down with new stuff. Which only makes it more annoying that they're withholding Siri from iPhone 4 users still and turn-by-turn navigation with it.

AppleScruff1
Jul 23, 2012, 12:12 AM
Heh. I'm glad we've come full circle. Before we had threats and predictions that if they didn't offer a 4-inch (minimum!) screen, they would be faced with irrelevance. Now it's who cares about a 4-inch screen?

NFC, LTE, 4-inch screen, improved camera, Passbook, turn-by-turn navigation? This thing is loaded down with new stuff. Which only makes it more annoying that they're withholding Siri from iPhone 4 users still and turn-by-turn navigation with it.

It will have most of the features that Android phones already have.

Jrsmooth
Jul 23, 2012, 12:14 AM
Already manufacturing? Hopefully they don't overproduce because I'm not buying the same screen (except longer).

Face it, a lot of people are going to say the same thing. The galaxy s3, HTC one x, and hell even the RAZR maxx look more appealing. CNET and a lot of people who are switching over are saying the same thing.

shurcooL
Jul 23, 2012, 12:17 AM
Me too.

I spend so many hours surfing, watching videos and doing things on my iPhone, I always wish its screen were larger. As big as will fit in my pocket.

----------

Yes, but with an Apple-quality of user experience.

rturner2
Jul 23, 2012, 12:21 AM

After I tried Nexus for a week (I'm a dev so I need to know Android), I came back to my iPhone thinking I'm so glad it isn't wider. And I'm a man with fairly large hands. I think Apple has the width perfect. I'll be happy if it's just a bit taller.

----------

Vanilla Android ICS doesn't even have screen rotation lock built in.

Technarchy
Jul 23, 2012, 12:23 AM
Still about 100 days away so no point in getting excited yet.

Spink10
Jul 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
Keep these leaks coming!

alexN350z
Jul 23, 2012, 12:26 AM
Me too.

I spend so many hours surfing, watching videos and doing things on my iPhone, I always wish its screen were larger. As big as will fit in my pocket.

----------

Yes, but with an Apple-quality of user experience.

Apple never care what the users want, they only give you the finished products and tell you this is what you need.

Michael Scrip
Jul 23, 2012, 12:30 AM
A 4" taller iPhone is great.

It'll finally have the same screen real estate as other 4" phones.

And maybe in a few more years... Apple will up the size again.

But I'm actually more interested in the addition of Verizon LTE... I might replace my iPhone 4S for that.

http://i.imgur.com/dk8dD.jpg

Castiel
Jul 23, 2012, 12:32 AM
Still about 100 days away so no point in getting excited yet.
Hey I'm just glad we haven't started seeing photos of people starting to wait in line. :p

aziatiklover
Jul 23, 2012, 12:33 AM
My body is ready!

SockRolid
Jul 23, 2012, 12:36 AM
Pegatron has begun production...

Well, "begun production" could mean:

- Signed the deal with Apple, and/or
- Put together a few prototypes with final components to see if it all fits, and/or
- Built out the assembly line, and/or
- Hired and trained assembly line employees, and/or
- Started a trial production run to find and fix bottlenecks, and/or
- Provided a few thousand samples to Apple for evaluation, and/or
- Ramped up full-scale production.

So yeah, Pegatron may well have "begun production" already.

BobbyLight
Jul 23, 2012, 12:37 AM
It's not going to be released before the new OS so it's hard to get excited about production news. Just waiting for the Fall launch.

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 12:37 AM

That would be harder to hold as a phone, though. You can hold an iPhone comfortably no matter how tall it is.

lilo777
Jul 23, 2012, 12:38 AM
After I tried Nexus for a week (I'm a dev so I need to know Android), I came back to my iPhone thinking I'm so glad it isn't wider. And I'm a man with fairly large hands. I think Apple has the width perfect. I'll be happy if it's just a bit taller.

Larger screen is about eyes not hands. As far as hands are concerned people manage to control much bigger touch screens just fine - iPad is one such example.

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 12:40 AM

They should just change the little design on it. I think a tiny horizontal line or just nothing looks good

AppleScruff1
Jul 23, 2012, 12:41 AM
Vanilla Android ICS doesn't even have screen rotation lock built in.

Android has had turn by turn for about 2 years?

-AG-
Jul 23, 2012, 12:41 AM
I think maybe it will have a notification center band not another row of icons. That's my guess.

Rocketman

That would make sense.

4x4 looks clean.
4x5 looks messy and very un Apple.
5x5 would work too but that would mean a slightly wider phone.

ann713
Jul 23, 2012, 12:43 AM
Hoping they'll implement a way to light up the home button (square), for notifications and such.

mrelwood
Jul 23, 2012, 12:49 AM
the nokia n9 and soon jolla with its meego phone will rule open source ftw linux meego baby n9 has nfc 1 gig of ram and 64 gig flash drive plus real open source phones rule iPhone needs open bluetooth drag and drop support and allow apps to be installed from repos and to be able to have a file system to me iPhone looks good but is to limited in its functions go meego n900 n9 and the upcoming jolla phone are all better choices for the real geeks

Sorry about your broken keyboard. Hope you get a replacement, 'cause using that one must suck even more than reading your post does. If possible.

Michael Scrip
Jul 23, 2012, 12:51 AM
Larger screen is about eyes not hands. As far as hands are concerned people manage to control much bigger touch screens just fine - iPad is one such example.

Exactly.

Considering the amount of 4.3" and larger phones on the market... people seem to be doing just fine with them.

Besides the iPhone... I haven't even seen a touchscreen phone less than 4" in years...

pensoftware
Jul 23, 2012, 12:54 AM
I don't know what you guys are all complaining about. 5 rows sound delicious.

johnnielse
Jul 23, 2012, 12:55 AM
Will MacRumors please stop using BGR as a source for news? Man, those guys have a terrible track record. You a few months ago they tried to tell us that the iOS TV platform were to be unveiled at WWDC...

olowott
Jul 23, 2012, 01:11 AM
Mind and Body is Set for the new iPhone :cool:
Gonna go get my Wallet ready :D

Swift
Jul 23, 2012, 01:14 AM

Wrong again. It will have far more than most Android phones, unless you count only the tiny fraction that runs the latest OS. Word is, all iPhones from the 3GS on will get most of iOS 6.

Trying to work out the psychology of someone who loves to lurk on MacRumors forums to trash talk Macs and iDevices. I spend no time on Android sites. I have no reason to.

Nozuka
Jul 23, 2012, 01:14 AM
i hope they improve the front camera for facetime.

Swift
Jul 23, 2012, 01:16 AM
Actually, my theory about the Big Phone fad is that it was the only way Android had of getting better battery life: bigger batteries.

H2SO4
Jul 23, 2012, 01:19 AM

It's just as much about hands when you are talking small devices. I frequently text/navigate with one hand. The widescreen TV thing that seems to be the blueprint from most new smartphones makes this quite tricky.

cvaldes
Jul 23, 2012, 01:20 AM
Can't you add a few full stops and commas? Your post is terrible to read.
The weirdest thing is that there are people here who will strip out all punctuation and capitalization out of a correctly written post and replace it with this illegible garbage.

Swift
Jul 23, 2012, 01:24 AM
Android has had turn by turn for about 2 years?

Just the length of time I've been running the excellent Motion X GPS. Voice directions, an exorbitant $15 a year. Of course, Google could have given the iPhone their free software too. But the "free" and "open" company were just dumping their software for reasons of competition.

H2SO4
Jul 23, 2012, 01:25 AM
The weirdest thing is that there are people here who will strip out all punctualization and capitalization out of a correctly written post and replace it with this illegible garbage.

Tell me about it. I think it would be both quicker and easier to read the entire bible. In a foreign language.
Without meaning to sound too disrespectful to them........WHAT ARE YOU FOOLS THINKING? Do you go back and read your text even once before posting?

malias4
Jul 23, 2012, 01:29 AM
Come on apple not another iphone 4 :mad:

tech4all
Jul 23, 2012, 01:32 AM
Would be a nice to see a redesign of the phone itself. And no, making a phone a bit taller doesn't count. Mac Pro "update" anyone? :p

cvaldes
Jul 23, 2012, 01:33 AM
Tell me about it. I think it would be both quicker and easier to read the entire bible. In a foreign language.
Without meaning to sound too disrespectful to them........WHAT ARE YOU FOOLS THINKING? Do you go back and read your text even once before posting?
I don't think they're fools.

They are probably borderline sociopaths. They know they are stripping out all of the standard legibility features of the English language out of a particular chunk of text. Deliberately.

It's as bad as that Boing Boing forum moderator who "disemvoweled" posts. Truly antisocial behavior in the most cowardly passive-aggressive manner. Despicable.

H2SO4
Jul 23, 2012, 01:35 AM

They are probably borderline sociopaths.

I can fix that then.......

Without meaning to sound too disrespectful to them........WHAT ARE YOU SOCIOPATHS THINKING? Do you go back and read your text even once before posting?

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 01:54 AM

Turn it on its side. In landscape mode, it's wider, too.

----------

Would be a nice to see a redesign of the phone itself. And no, making a phone a bit taller doesn't count. Mac Pro "update" anyone? :p

When did they make the Mac Pro taller?

SG457
Jul 23, 2012, 01:55 AM
Seems like we need new cables (dock connector) for charging then... And a new docking speaker :(

speedyg256
Jul 23, 2012, 02:04 AM
If we are getting a new screen size why don't developers know it yet? Apple will not release a product with a new aspect ratio that won't have apps updated for it. Either there is a long delay between the keynote and release date, or no new screen size. It's like when the iPad was released, able to run iPhone apps, but developers were still given ample time to create apps specifically for the iPad.

Michael Scrip
Jul 23, 2012, 02:05 AM
Seems like we need new cables for charging then... And a new docking speaker :(

True... it will be rocky at the beginning.

But if this new dock connector lasts for another 5 years... that's actually a pretty good run.

xionxiox
Jul 23, 2012, 02:21 AM
If we are getting a new screen size why don't developers know it yet? Apple will not release a product with a new aspect ratio that won't have apps updated for it. Either there is a long delay between the keynote and release date, or no new screen size. It's like when the iPad was released, able to run iPhone apps, but developers were still given ample time to create apps specifically for the iPad.

That's what I was thinking all along. These rumors seem pretty inaccurate if not downright wrong. I wouldn't mind the taller screen though (people are overreacting IMO). But we'll see during the Keynote.

jamesrt2004
Jul 23, 2012, 02:26 AM
Actually, my theory about the Big Phone fad is that it was the only way Android had of getting better battery life: bigger batteries.

Bigger screen=needs more power. Battery lifes better on gfs sam gs3 then my 4sv. Its much nicer to use too..

Wish iphone had a similr screen size, the i on s3 is still great too!

33man
Jul 23, 2012, 02:29 AM
The problem with a screen bigger than 4" is that they have to release a new type of screen to keep the Retina name... Now about the dev not notified of screen change could be easily explained, the new iPhone will have bigger screen and if an app is not done for it then like the 16/9 movie on a 4/3 tv, the app will be surrounded by black borders... End of story. If that screen is a major news I believe that Apple doesn't want to spread the new before the keynote, but well I'm still surprised that no one find screen size references in the IOS6 betas...

And on another side Apple has bought many interesting brevets like using the current black bars around the speaker and home button as kind of secondary screen and depending on the context displaying icon/actions...

In my mind the top and bottom bar will somehow disappear soon, this is a space eater and you can fit a 4" screen in the current iPhone 4, 4S case without making the phone taller... just minimize thoses ****ing bars and that 70ies home button. :)

Jaccsalas
Jul 23, 2012, 02:34 AM
Thanks for sharing this information
http://www.**********/liuhan1.jpghttp://www.**********/liuhan2.jpghttp://www.**********/liuhan3.jpg

flywithsean
Jul 23, 2012, 02:35 AM
If this is truly the next iPhone it will be the first generation I will not own.

This is BS, a taller phone is a major problem. I want a larger screen. I am sick and tired of the exact same screen size since it's birth. I have had every version and unfortunately over the years my eyesight has gotten a little worse. I don't need glasses but a slightly larger phone would really be nice. I don't need a Galaxy Note but come on!!!!

Making a taller phone poses a real problem when you realize that now every app you have is not sized for the screen you have. Why would Apple do that. This would piss me off to no end.

I want a bigger phone and a smaller iPad is that too much to ask for?!?!

RichBoi99
Jul 23, 2012, 02:36 AM
I hope they wouldnt called it a 4GS , then ppl would call it the SG4 as in Samsung Galaxy 4, jk.
i would love to see Live Widgets but i would think that would show up in the ios6 beta's, but never know a 6.1 , 6.0.1 or 6.6.6 (doubt this one) could follow few weeks behind, that would give them time to announce a surprise at a keynote then by the time a Launch comes it'll be released.

im just wishful thinking, dont bash me please.

whatever they do i believe will shock us. even if they dont change anything.

Winni
Jul 23, 2012, 02:37 AM
NFC, LTE, 4-inch screen, improved camera, Passbook, turn-by-turn navigation? This thing is loaded down with new stuff.

New stuff for iPhone users. Other ecosystems have had all of this for quite a while already - including screens of all sizes.

I know, Apple calls this fragmentation. Others call it freedom, diversity and choice.

Michael Scrip
Jul 23, 2012, 02:46 AM

Even if developers only had a week between the announcement and the launch... I bet they would be working overtime to make it happen.

Simple scrolling apps probably won't be too difficult to update... but games and other apps with graphic backgrounds and other assets will need to be rebuilt.

Still though... this is necessary if there is a screen change.

How many developers resisted the move to Retina graphics? :D

You get left behind if you don't update your apps to whatever Apple says.

Icaras
Jul 23, 2012, 02:54 AM
I love how the stainless steel antenna band is now flush with the entire iPhone chassis. It's actually always bugged me that it stuck out.

Mackan
Jul 23, 2012, 03:10 AM
Oh please, there rumors are torture. Can it be October already?

anthony11
Jul 23, 2012, 03:17 AM
I hadn't thought of that, but it would certainly explain how the aspect ratio could change without requiring applications to be updated again.

----------

Apple never care what the users want.
Their profits and market cap show otherwise.

Monkeydude
Jul 23, 2012, 03:19 AM
Thats exactly what I think. Apple has been especially famous for its design and now they are to publish (almost) the same phone for 3 years straight? I don't hope so - if they will, i won't buy it.
Greetz from Germany.

BTW: I wonder if they will ever update the iMac again :confused:

anthony11
Jul 23, 2012, 03:24 AM

Yep, but they're bulkier when mobile, and don't fit in any normal sort of pocket. This is why when we're out of the house, we generally let our son use one of our phones rather than dragging the iPad with us. A device the size of a hardcover book is rather awkward as a phone or as a p&s camera, so there's little real-world need for a significantly larger phone.

Laird Knox
Jul 23, 2012, 03:29 AM
Can you please go back and add a few full stops and commas? Your post is terrible to read.

The Meego keyboard doesn't have punctuation. :rolleyes:

adildacoolset
Jul 23, 2012, 04:00 AM
IKR, people fail to realize this and say that they'll ump onto android, with phones of the same aspect ratio and more fragmentation

SBlue1
Jul 23, 2012, 04:00 AM
Already manufacturing? Hopefully they don't overproduce because I'm not buying the same screen.

Great, more for the rest of us! :D

Zunjine
Jul 23, 2012, 04:06 AM

They are probably borderline sociopaths. They know they are stripping out all of the standard legibility features of the English language out of a particular chunk of text. Deliberately.

It's as bad as that Boing Boing forum moderator who "disemvoweled" posts. Truly antisocial behavior in the most cowardly passive-aggressive manner. Despicable.

I stopped using Boingboing after that happened to me. I was engaging in a fairly decent debate but my view was contrary to the popular opinion on the forum. The supposedly liberal stance of Boingboing suddenly turned rather draconian. It seems you're allowed freedom of expression so long as you don't say something they don't like.

I emailed to complain but never heard back.

jmpnop
Jul 23, 2012, 04:16 AM

Apple has become lazy lately:rolleyes:

NbinHD
Jul 23, 2012, 04:33 AM
I reckon 4.3"ish is the sweet spot. That would be awesome to see from Apple.

davie18
Jul 23, 2012, 04:43 AM
I really hope this is true, given that I was retarded and managed to lose my 3GS last week. Using some ****** blackberry rip off at the minute, can't wait to get the new iPhone!

YGAB
Jul 23, 2012, 04:44 AM
LOL, Digitimes.

you're an idiot... and so are the ignoramuses who blindly agree with anyone who has something negative to say about Digitimes.

MacRumors, 9to5mac, AppleInsider, and a slew of local & foreign investors in Taiwan consistently turn to Digitimes (both English and original Chinese version) for supply chain and ODM developments... i guess they must be crazy.

ixodes
Jul 23, 2012, 04:56 AM
The sooner the better.

Now that I've decided to pass on this narrow odd design, let's get it behind us and see if the next iPhone is finally the one with an all new design.

Recycling this same old slab sided flat iPhone is getting old. Not to mention boring, and uninspiring.

I _know_ Apple is capable of so much more than this. :)

----------

Yeah, it's refreshing to see that I'm not the only one with the guts to admit it.

I _believe_ in Apple, which is why this is so frustrating. It's their greed that prevents them from innovating at the present. They simply can't pass up the opportunity to milk the iPhone 4 style for another year.

At least I'll win, as my stock continues to grow from the paltry price I paid to get in a couple decades ago :)

FrankHahn
Jul 23, 2012, 05:00 AM
I hope that this rumor will turn out to be true!

ixodes
Jul 23, 2012, 05:04 AM
you're an idiot... and so are the ignoramuses who blindly agree with anyone who has something negative to say about Digitimes.

MacRumors, 9to5mac, AppleInsider, and a slew of local & foreign investors in Taiwan consistently turn to Digitimes (both English and original Chinese version) for supply chain and ODM developments... i guess they must be crazy.

It's important to remember, anyone that doesn't praise Apple immediately gets hated & trashed by the insecure iToyz users. They can't help themselves.

Apple relys on them as the unofficial apologists & defenders for the brand.

nataliamck
Jul 23, 2012, 05:18 AM
I would truly love a complete redesign of the iPhone.

Bigger screen, thinner design.

Sadly any mock ups I have seen so far have been another iPhone 4. Slightly boring, Apple.

marmiteturkey
Jul 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
Apple never care what the users want, they only give you the finished products and tell you this is what you need.
Yes - Apple's legendary disregard for their users. You're right.

Zunjine
Jul 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
I would truly love a complete redesign of the iPhone.

Bigger screen, thinner design.

Sadly any mock ups I have seen so far have been another iPhone 4. Slightly boring, Apple.

These sorts of comments really do confuse me.

Someone says "any mock ups I have seen so far have been another iPhone 4" and then goes on to criticise Apple who, obviously, did not make those mock ups.

Can we all hold off passing judgment on the new phone until we've, you know, seen it?

nataliamck
Jul 23, 2012, 06:41 AM
These sorts of comments really do confuse me.

Someone says "any mock ups I have seen so far have been another iPhone 4" and then goes on to criticise Apple who, obviously, did not make those mock ups.

Can we all hold off passing judgment on the new phone until we've, you know, seen it?

I am eager to see the new design, but going on past iPhone releases, the mock-ups have been pretty accurate.

However, wishful thinking has me hoping they have got it very wrong this time.

apolloa
Jul 23, 2012, 06:45 AM
They will be in production when Apple's slot comes up. That is how they all work, their are only so many places that build electronic devices, the production lines pump out iPads, iPhones, Nexus 7 tablets, Asus Infinity tablets, Galaxy S3's, Kindle Fire and so on and on. As far as I understand the products are built in time slots that the designs have to be ready for?

But if they launch the phone in September, then it would stand to reason that they have started making them now for launch.

duction
Jul 23, 2012, 06:48 AM
Can't wait to buy it!

malias4
Jul 23, 2012, 06:57 AM
Thats exactly what I think. Apple has been especially famous for its design and now they are to publish (almost) the same phone for 3 years straight? I don't hope so - if they will, i won't buy it.
Greetz from Germany.

BTW: I wonder if they will ever update the iMac again :confused:

i really hope they wont release an iphone 4 look alike, i d love a biger device like 4 inch but not looking like the one they launched 2 years ago..
i dont want an iphone looking like a tv remote control :confused:
then they better cal it :
iphone 4ss

----------

i hope they give us something prety , n not an iphone 4 ss

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 07:06 AM
i really hope they wont release an iphone 4 look alike, i d love a biger device like 4 inch but not looking like the one they launched 2 years ago..
i dont want an iphone looking like a tv remote control :confused:
then they better cal it :
iphone 4ss

----------

i hope they give us something prety , n not an iphone 4 ss

How about we take a vote on what they call it, and also the size and shape. Maybe we can get them to melt down whatever they've already produced, and go back to the drawing board. Surely they could do that and still get it out by October. And it would look exactly like the phone we all agree we want to see.

Any features that get more than a couple of down votes will be dropped from the iPhone of course, to keep from disappointing anyone. The only exception will be my wish list, which will be implemented in full, because I'm more important.

Glideslope
Jul 23, 2012, 07:47 AM
The good news keeps coming 

Yes. You will like. This image shows a more accurate thickness of the new phone, the rounding of the corners into the back plate. Back plate will be like Gen 1 iPhone/iPad. :apple:

akbarali.ch
Jul 23, 2012, 08:18 AM

Rocketman

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14901620&highlight=notification+center#post14901620

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14941930&highlight=notification+center#post14941930

Even I think so, they are not going to change the aspect ratio and the resolution just to add one more extra row of icons..maybe a siri bar visible all time, maybe notification, widgets visible all time...

karimseed
Jul 23, 2012, 08:20 AM
If this is truly the next iPhone it will be the first generation I will not own.

This is BS, a taller phone is a major problem. I want a larger screen. I am sick and tired of the exact same screen size since it's birth. I have had every version and unfortunately over the years my eyesight has gotten a little worse. I don't need glasses but a slightly larger phone would really be nice. I don't need a Galaxy Note but come on!!!!

Making a taller phone poses a real problem when you realize that now every app you have is not sized for the screen you have. Why would Apple do that. This would piss me off to no end.

I want a bigger phone and a smaller iPad is that too much to ask for?!?!

so you think that developers would not have to re size their apps if it was taller and wider?? (shaking my head) :L its actually easier for developers to resize their apps for a taller iphone because the width is the same. when you see the next iphone than you can complain dont get pissed over speculation

pgiguere1
Jul 23, 2012, 08:25 AM
Already manufacturing? Hopefully they don't overproduce because I'm not buying the same screen (except longer).

Face it, a lot of people are going to say the same thing. The galaxy s3, HTC one x, and hell even the RAZR maxx look more appealing. CNET and a lot of people who are switching over are saying the same thing.

Why do they? Because of Android or the actual hardware?

If the next iPhone has a bigger screen, higher resolution without PenTile arrangement, NFC, in-cell touch panel, a camera even better than in the 4S, LTE and is thinner, it could be the best phone hardware on the market. The phones you mention either have a crappy Android overlay (TouchWiz, HTC Sense, Motoblur), a PenTile display, ugly design, poor battery life or a mix of those.

There seems to be no Android phone with perfect hardware, there should be some sort of Galaxy Nexus with a HTC One X screen, a better camera and up to 64GB of storage. Unless a new Nexus phone comes out soon I'm under the impression that the next iPhone will have the best hardware when it will launch, as for the OS (iOS vs Android), that's very personal.

legacyb4
Jul 23, 2012, 08:26 AM
Yes, but most people don't pull the iPad out of their back pocket on a crowded bus/train or try to manipulate their phone while otherwise occupied (driving, etc)...

Having said that, bring on the new iPhone!

applesith
Jul 23, 2012, 08:26 AM
Not sure how I feel about this design. I'll wait until the keynote and see what it is and how the software plays with it.

grimmace
Jul 23, 2012, 08:29 AM
It needs to be stretched 1/4" on left as well. Guess I have to wait for 5s or 6.

Zaft
Jul 23, 2012, 08:41 AM
It's important to remember, anyone that doesn't praise Apple immediately gets hated & trashed by the insecure iToyz users. They can't help themselves.

I agree that there are big apple fanboys as there are for alot of things. (xbox, ps3 etc)

But it seems like your saying anyone that owns an iphone is an insecure itoyz user?

Thats insulting a lot of people who are not.:confused::confused:

Motawa
Jul 23, 2012, 08:45 AM
wow. it is so magical...

pgiguere1
Jul 23, 2012, 08:51 AM

That's pretty ironic right there.

Jrsmooth
Jul 23, 2012, 09:03 AM
Why do they? Because of Android or the actual hardware?

If the next iPhone has a bigger screen, higher resolution without PenTile arrangement, NFC, in-cell touch panel, a camera even better than in the 4S, LTE and is thinner, it could be the best phone hardware on the market. The phones you mention either have a crappy Android overlay (TouchWiz, HTC Sense, Motoblur), a PenTile display, ugly design, poor battery life or a mix of those.

There seems to be no Android phone with perfect hardware, there should be some sort of Galaxy Nexus with a HTC One X screen, a better camera and up to 64GB of storage. Unless a new Nexus phone comes out soon I'm under the impression that the next iPhone will have the best hardware when it will launch, as for the OS (iOS vs Android), that's very personal.

I don't equate a longer screen to being a bigger screen. Yippee now we get black sidebars in a lot of places!

The screens are comparable (except BIGGER), the battery life on the phones listed is pretty good, and the android os is not a bad alternative to ios.

nick_elt
Jul 23, 2012, 09:18 AM

Android doesnt have ios tho

----------

Seems like we need new cables (dock connector) for charging then... And a new docking speaker :(

Id reccommend a bluetooth speaker next time

Or airplay capable but i havent seen too many and they prob aint cheap

cocky jeremy
Jul 23, 2012, 09:19 AM

Like i always say, it's easy to pump out a few more features than your competition when they did the work of building your entire OS for you.

pgiguere1
Jul 23, 2012, 09:24 AM
I don't equate a longer screen to being a bigger screen. Yippee now we get black sidebars in a lot of places!

The screens are comparable (except BIGGER), the battery life on the phones listed is pretty good, and the android os is not a bad alternative to ios.

The screens aren't really comparable, they either have a lower pixel density or PenTile arrangement, with the exception of the HTC One X. The battery life is good on the Razr Maxx and Galaxy S3, but you have Pentile screens with less accurate colors and non-white whites unless you set your brightness to 100%.

While stock Android is good, everybody will agree that OEM overlays are a pain and non-Nexus phones barely get updated at all. Software-wise you're better with the Galaxy Nexus but it has so-so hardware except its screen size.

I'm not saying no Android phone beats the iPhone when you compare specs independently, I'm saying that no Android hardware is perfectly balanced and you have to choose between the best diplay, best battery life, best software, best camera, etc. There's not a single phone that's clearly the best in all departments.

The next iPhone could be closer to this level of perfection if it has all the features rumored previously. Of course you could still like 4.7" phones over a 4.0", but that's also a personal preference. Otherwise the rest of specs that are objectively measurable should be pretty awersome compared to the Android competition, until the next Nexus phone comes out that is.

If it can have a non-Pentile Super LCD2 (I hate that name) like the HTC One X, plus an in-cell touch panel, along with stock Android supported in next versions, a good-looking design, a good camera, LTE, good battery life, NFC, 64GB option, good performances, etc, that may be the ultimate Android phone, but the next iPhone will apparently have all of those (replace Android with iOS) and probably before such an Android dream phone is released.

alq
Jul 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
What actually happened to the mockups from about a year ago which demonstrated a larger and wider iPhone?

TurnTronics
Jul 23, 2012, 09:35 AM
Pretty excited for the next iPhone. Looking forward to an updated form factor!

Bubba Satori
Jul 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
I wonder what an iPhone would cost if it was made in America?

nick_elt
Jul 23, 2012, 10:08 AM

It would cost alot of ppl their jobs in China who prob need them more than the ppl in the us to start with

elgrecomac
Jul 23, 2012, 10:23 AM
That Apple is doubling down on security, to quote the boss. There seems to be more out this phone that any preceeding it 3 months before launch. Maybe Apple is leaking it because of Samsungs new phone or the pending MS and Google phones so people stay focused on the iPhone.

Also, it is more that amusing that I was flamed for complaining about the size of the ip4 but the fanboys ranted back to me saying if I wanted something bigger I should get a Samsung.....oops! :eek:

----------

It would cost alot of ppl their jobs in China who prob need them more than the ppl in the us to start with

This guy must not be from the USA and the great recession we are living through.

Bubba Satori
Jul 23, 2012, 10:33 AM

Wow, just unbelievable. I don't know what to say.
And I'm too angry to say it anyway. :mad:

jhende7
Jul 23, 2012, 10:40 AM
A phone with a 16x9 aspect ratio is definitely the way to go. Easier to hold and manipulate with one hand, easier for developers to adapt their applications, far better experience watching movies in widescreen, no loss of visual fidelity- the list goes on. The only thing I would prefer is that the iPhone itself stayed the same size vertically, and the screen height was increased by narrowing (or in an ideal world removing) the strips at the top and the bottom. In this day and age there is no point in 25% of the front surface area being relegated to useless non-interactive space.

Who's with me!?

SlowCarBoost
Jul 23, 2012, 10:50 AM
Well yeah, I'm definitely with you on the smaller bezel. It is ridiculous how much unused space there is on the front. That is what is making the iPhone look outdated. Look at any of the new Droids. There is half the amount of bezel on the top and bottom. They're not going to be able to do much about the bottom if they're going to keep using that same home button that they love so much but they should be able to cut the amount of unused space in half on top. It's just pure laziness if they don't.

newyorksole
Jul 23, 2012, 10:51 AM
What actually happened to the mockups from about a year ago which demonstrated a larger and wider iPhone?

those were just mockups... with this iPhone the parts actually LEAKED

chirpie
Jul 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
Assembly workers! Combine to form... Pegatron!

jhende7
Jul 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
Well yeah, I'm definitely with you on the smaller bezel. It is ridiculous how much unused space there is on the front. That is what is making the iPhone look outdated. Look at any of the new Droids. There is half the amount of bezel on the top and bottom. They're not going to be able to do much about the bottom if they're going to keep using that same home button that they love so much but they should be able to cut the amount of unused space in half on top. It's just pure laziness if they don't.

Absolutely agree. Everyone is harping about these giant screens, not realizing that the current surface area of the iPhone could handle a really nice screen.

I look at this image:

http://1.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/iphone-vs-Samsung-galaxy-S31.jpg

And I think, wow the iPhone looks outdated. But it's not because the Galaxy has a giant screen, its because the iPhone makes such poor use of the front space.

snowcrash
Jul 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
What's the WOW "must have this" thing that will draw people from the iPhone 4S? I don't know if another row of apps and LTE (still not available here yet) don't watch movies on my iPhone (have an iPad/Laptop or a TV for that) so I get no benefit real from 16x9, so I don't know if it would worth the upgrade. I mean running iOS 6 right now so I have Siri, Turn by turn, Passbook and all that stuff. Still trying to justify the upgrade (if these rumors turn out correct) in my head and really can't think of a reason on why I would need to go from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 4S.2

chirpie
Jul 23, 2012, 11:04 AM

It's not really comparable to say, but technically the US has double the unemployement rate of China. (8% vs 4%)

Granted, that's actually better than a lot of countries, but we want great numbers, not average.

bedifferent
Jul 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
Bigger! Better! Faster! More!

You must buy this product, it will make your lives BETTER! :p

Living in Eden has its advantages. As a marginalized member of a spectator democracy, you choose your own dependencies. Lust. Hate. Blood. Love. Don't think of it as manufactured consent.

Think of it as the candy everybody wants. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M9ncAkKSNM)

sddave
Jul 23, 2012, 11:09 AM

But can you work it in one hand? (hey, no jokes, please) With my iPhone, I can work emails etc. just holding the phone in one hand; most people I know with other phones have to use two hands to do anything.

nick_elt
Jul 23, 2012, 12:47 PM

----------

It's not really comparable to say, but technically the US has double the unemployement rate of China. (8% vs 4%)

Granted, that's actually better than a lot of countries, but we want great numbers, not average.

I want a cheaper iphone, for all i care, build it in Greece.

joel_wylde
Jul 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
i just hope its the same screen size :p

Navdakilla
Jul 23, 2012, 12:56 PM

agreed

mytakeontech
Jul 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
If that is the case then I would stick to my 4S, unlock it and also say goodbye to contracts!!!

jona2d
Jul 23, 2012, 02:09 PM
Am i the only one that noticed the camera placement isn't correct per the previously released 'cases' that were released?

I thought the camera was being placed above the earpiece in this iteration? Per the screenshots on this article, it remains to the left of the earpiece.

Just sayin...some1 looks to be incorrect, whichever one that may be will not be down until they announce...

JoJoCal19
Jul 23, 2012, 02:32 PM
That Apple is doubling down on security, to quote the boss. There seems to be more out this phone that any preceeding it 3 months before launch. Maybe Apple is leaking it because of Samsungs new phone or the pending MS and Google phones so people stay focused on the iPhone.

Also, it is more that amusing that I was flamed for complaining about the size of the ip4 but the fanboys ranted back to me saying if I wanted something bigger I should get a Samsung.....oops! :eek:

----------

Or maybe, as I'm hoping, these leaks are all calculated and Apple will blow us away in a couple of months :o

dawnrazor
Jul 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
I like the tapered edges, and the extra height and the slimness. It's a good looking phone, but it really needs to pack a few punches to top the Galaxy S3.

NedBookPro
Jul 23, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hey I'm just glad we haven't started seeing photos of people starting to wait in line. :p

It's very possible that if the screen is basically the same - no advantage whatsoever, there won't be anyone in line.

I'm still hoping to be surprised on launch. But it's looking more and more unlikely.

The screen size is the deal-breaker. The S3 really does have great hardware and screen, and it's os is very smooth too. It's come a long way.

After being so loyal to apple, this may force me to go Samsung S3. I already panned the 4S because it was basically the same as my 4. I'm simply not prepared to wait another year for them to play catch up.

Common Apple... you used to lead the way in hardware - what gives?

----------

That would be harder to hold as a phone, though. You can hold an iPhone comfortably no matter how tall it is.

Have you held an S3? It's still comfortable to hold, it's not a reason to keep the screen small. That's deluding yourself. You see a lot of young women with small hands easily operating the device.

I for the life of me can't see why apple is holding out on the screen size.
As someone else pointed out in another thread... maybe it's so people will be the ipad for the screen real-estate.

Turn it on its side. In landscape mode, it's wider, too.

Oh I can't wait to see a wider screen when you turn it on it's side with 1/2 the screen taken up by keyboard. What innovation.

GorgonPhone
Jul 23, 2012, 04:08 PM
iphone is starting to look boring,,, apple need to create something new for the UI to make this who ios thing more interesting now.. the grid of apps thing is really getting weak.

NedBookPro
Jul 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
Absolutely agree. Everyone is harping about these giant screens, not realizing that the current surface area of the iPhone could handle a really nice screen.

I look at this image:

Image (http://1.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/iphone-vs-Samsung-galaxy-S31.jpg)

And I think, wow the iPhone looks outdated. But it's not because the Galaxy has a giant screen, its because the iPhone makes such poor use of the front space.

I totally agree, and think this illustrates that very well.

NedBookPro
Jul 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
But can you work it in one hand? (hey, no jokes, please) With my iPhone, I can work emails etc. just holding the phone in one hand; most people I know with other phones have to use two hands to do anything.

You really think this is a deal-breaker vs readability and screen size?
This idea of using one hand sounds like people desperately looking for a deluded reason to accept what has become a very tired, outdated screen format.

Reading text is like chalk and cheese. Watching a video on the larger screen is also much better.

I'm honestly tired of squinting and looking for a magnifying glass when I'm trying to read anything on my iphone.

IconicM
Jul 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
Same here, I think that the new iPhone would look stink, if it's just taller. Also it would seem lazy on Apple's part.

I wish it was wider too. When typing text in landscape, you get to preview 3 lines of what you typed? Two more lines would be nice, but I will still upgrade from my 3G.

nishishei
Jul 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
All I can say is I'm glad I got the 4S when I needed it and not waited for the mythical 5.

puckhead193
Jul 23, 2012, 05:19 PM
The verizon iphone came out in February 2011 correct? So now, everyone that ordered day one would still be under the 2 year contract correct. I wonder if apple is going to make those people wait until the contract is up in February or will they do an early upgrade.

I really don't want to wait till February 2013 to get the new iphone... :(

Arelunde
Jul 23, 2012, 07:09 PM
Take a good look at that photo ... it's just a stretched version of the current iPhone. Look at the ear speaker arrangement. Not what is predicted, not that predictions are accurate to the real deal.

Also, some of the other alleged "sneak peeks" at the coming iPhone show a somewhat wider body. Check the photo that goes with the MR story on China already in production of next iteration.

Side note: I went through al the hoopla prior to the release of the iPhone 4S last year ... when everyone - EVERYONE - was waiting for an iPhone 5. Bitter disappointment, but proof that speculation amounts to nada.

-AG-
Jul 23, 2012, 07:16 PM
You know that this COULD actually just be the new iPod Touch coming out around the same time.
Would explain the headphones being on the opposite end and the wider/longer screen for the 16x9 compatibility with HDTVs when using Airplay Mirroring.

It would also explain why so many leaks are out there, Apple could be letting people speculate this is the NEW iPhone when in reality the real thing is securely under wraps still.

SpyderBite
Jul 23, 2012, 07:32 PM
All I can say is I'm glad I got the 4S when I needed it and not waited for the mythical 5.

Ditto. Even if the imaginary mock up were real, I don't want a taller phone. I like the current form factor. And iOS 6 will run just fine on my 4s.

If I'm wrong.. I've got 3 more eligible upgrades on my plan to play with. ^^

AppleScruff1
Jul 23, 2012, 08:20 PM
Wrong again. It will have far more than most Android phones, unless you count only the tiny fraction that runs the latest OS. Word is, all iPhones from the 3GS on will get most of iOS 6.

Trying to work out the psychology of someone who loves to lurk on MacRumors forums to trash talk Macs and iDevices. I spend no time on Android sites. I have no reason to.

So tell me how much more, or far more you say it will have than say the Galaxy S III?

Just the length of time I've been running the excellent Motion X GPS. Voice directions, an exorbitant $15 a year. Of course, Google could have given the iPhone their free software too. But the "free" and "open" company were just dumping their software for reasons of competition.

You're right, the iPhone is better because you have to pay for something that is almost as good as what Google includes standard.

Like i always say, it's easy to pump out a few more features than your competition when they did the work of building your entire OS for you.

:rolleyes:

lilo777
Jul 23, 2012, 08:53 PM
Yes, but most people don't pull the iPad out of their back pocket on a crowded bus/train or try to manipulate their phone while otherwise occupied (driving, etc)...

Having said that, bring on the new iPhone!

In US, very few people ride bus or train and, outside New York, most of those who do use public transit can't afford iPhone (or any smart phone) in a first place. That said, bus or car, use of phone in this situation is a very little part of the overall phone usage. It's better to have a large phone that is less convenient 10% of the time and more convenient the rest 90%.

vulcan33
Jul 23, 2012, 09:07 PM
All that and more.
But more importantly it will have a soul...........

garylapointe
Jul 25, 2012, 10:14 PM

Passbook, turn-by-turn and all sorts of other iPhone 6 things are not iPhone upgrades, they are iOS upgrades and will run on some other models. And guessing the how why of when Apple chooses not to support older models generally never gets anyone anywhere!

What do you think the new camera will have?

The supposed NFC is who knows what...?

I personally think the NFC for sales will be BlueTooth 4.0 related and it isn't new hardware, it'll be software and there will already be the hardware base out there. Apple has been putting in BT 4.0 in their devices and they're not using it for anything. Why put in something new to do purchases, use what's already in there.

Gary

garylapointe
Jul 25, 2012, 10:44 PM

The 4s is the 5th iPhone. It always will be.

I'll be shocked if they call the next iPhone the "iPhone 5".

Besides LTE and a slightly wider screen (that will take most apps forever to adapt to), I'm not sure what it'll offer??? (Of course it'll be faster, they'll always make them faster).

I don't have LTE around here (Detroit, Michigan) so I'll think I'll be waiting (I had the 3gs, 4, and 4s) for the 7...

Mad Mac
Jul 25, 2012, 10:51 PM
Apple products are looking stale. The MBA, iMacs, Mac Pros, iPods, et. al. have all pretty much looked the same for the last 5 years or so. If the new iPhone is only a taller version with the same design you can officially say that Apple has jumped the shark.