PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Alternative to CCC?

jayhawk11
Jul 23, 2012, 02:01 AM
Hey all,

Carbon Copy Cloner just moved to version 3.5, and with it has started to cost $40. Anyone got ideas for a backup utility that costs less than the $30 to $40 that Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper do?

I'm not opposed to paying, but I'm not a big fan of developers switching from a donation model to a pay model without warning their customers. Plus, $40 is kinda steep for an application that I use at most twice a year.

Any suggestions?

simsaladimbamba
Jul 23, 2012, 02:06 AM
What about using version 3.4.4, or did it cease to function?

quasinormal
Jul 23, 2012, 03:30 AM
It should be possible using Disc Utility by imaging the drive, then using the restore feature.

ciberkarlos
Jul 23, 2012, 06:30 AM
I've seen the update to 3.5 and it seems to be working 30 days free with a trial license. Enough to me, since ML will be released in a couple of days and i won't use CCC anymore (at least until the next OSX, when i hope a cheaper or even free alternative to CCC is released).

aristobrat
Jul 23, 2012, 06:36 AM
SuperDuper's free version still seems to exist, with the same functionality it's had for the last few years. :confused:

maflynn
Jul 23, 2012, 06:53 AM
40 dollars is steep, but if you buy now, it will only cost you 30 bucks.

The best free alternative I know of is TimeMachine or one of the older versions of CCC that you may find floating around. I'm not sure what the new version of CCC will do that the old one won't as it gives me warnings about the recovery partition. Perhaps the new version backs that up as well - not sure.

I'll be taking the plunge, but you could always stay on the older version since they is donationware.

Orlandoech.com
Jul 23, 2012, 02:26 PM
I wasnt happy when I wiped my SSD to install Mtn Lion GM and downloaded CCC again and all the sudden had to pay $40.

I deleted the app.

Jovian9
Jul 23, 2012, 02:39 PM
I've used CCC for probably like 10 years. I've been happy with it and even donated before.

Today I ran the update and only afterwards realized that now I'm on a trial. That was disappointing. Especially to go from free to $40.

I'll probably do the free trial of SuperDuper after this one ends and if it works out well I'll then move to it. I just really didn't like the fact that CCC popped up with an update (which I have done with it many many times over the years) and all of the sudden it's now a trial version without letting me know that before I updated.

So if I have to pay and am happy with SuperDuper I'll most likely give them my money as I use this a lot (at least once per month per mac) to create bootable backup drives.....just in case.

Orlandoech.com
Jul 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
I've used CCC for probably like 10 years. I've been happy with it and even donated before.

Today I ran the update and only afterwards realized that now I'm on a trial. That was disappointing. Especially to go from free to $40.

I'll probably do the free trial of SuperDuper after this one ends and if it works out well I'll then move to it. I just really didn't like the fact that CCC popped up with an update (which I have done with it many many times over the years) and all of the sudden it's now a trial version without letting me know that before I updated.

So if I have to pay and am happy with SuperDuper I'll most likely give them my money as I use this a lot (at least once per month per mac) to create bootable backup drives.....just in case.

Ive used both, CCC is better imo. It lets you select particular files/folders where as SuperDuper doesn't. CCC is far more flexible imo, but going from FREE to $40 really upset me.

kbmb
Jul 23, 2012, 03:10 PM
If you've paid for CCC in the past....just enter your email in the Purchase CCC window and it will email you a valid license. Doesn't matter what you "donated" in the past....you will get a valid license key.

Yes, I think the $40 is a bit much.....but the guy does update the app all the time and is very responsive to requests. I'm sure the ads weren't making enough to support it.

-Kevin

Jul 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
If you've paid for CCC in the past....just enter your email in the Purchase CCC window and it will email you a valid license. Doesn't matter what you "donated" in the past....you will get a valid license key.

Yes, I think the $40 is a bit much.....but the guy does update the app all the time and is very responsive to requests. I'm sure the ads weren't making enough to support it.

-Kevin

I really don't see the problem here. The moment I started CCC, I got this update warning and refused to apply it. In any case, here are the choices:

1 - Accept and pay for the newest version (those who have contributed before just need to tick the "I Paid" box and will get a serial number);

2 - Refuse and keep using the older version;

3 - Roll back to the older version with Time Machine;

4 - Move to other free alternatives such as Clonezilla.

Jovian9
Jul 23, 2012, 04:13 PM

-Kevin

Yeah. I saw that afterwards, but still....it's pretty shady to release an update and not announce that in the update. Like I said, I've used CCC for years and years and always update when it's released. But this update was an unannounced "update" to a trial version.

I really don't see the problem here. The moment I started CCC, I got this update warning and refused to apply it. In any case, here are the choices:

1 - Accept and pay for the newest version (those who have contributed before just need to tick the "I Paid" box and will get a serial number);

2 - Refuse and keep using the older version;

3 - Roll back to the older version with Time Machine;

4 - Move to other free alternatives such as Clonezilla.

I always update my software. I've used CCC for years. There was no warning other than an update is available that took me from a regular version to a "trial" version. I'd gladly pay for this app and will consider it if I don't get it a serial for free for being a former donator, but the way it became a trial is what bothers me.

I emailed the developer just to let them know my opinion on the non-notification of it becoming a trial version when updating. I expressed my gratitude for such a great app but wanted to let him know that it is frustrating to find that out AFTER I update.

kbmb
Jul 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah. I saw that afterwards, but still....it's pretty shady to release an update and not announce that in the update. Like I said, I've used CCC for years and years and always update when it's released. But this update was an unannounced "update" to a trial version.

The release notes for the update, which you can read before applying the update mentioned about the move to a paid model and how you can get your license. It's the first thing in the window that popped up.

I think he's doing the right thing with people who have paid already.....regardless of what they paid....give them a license.

As for the freeware people.....I don't think he had any other choice than to just clearly say it's no longer donation ware and give them the ability to Skip this version (which the update window did).

-Kevin

Stooby Mcdoobie
Jul 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
It warns you about this in the software update window that pops up before you install the update.

dacreativeguy
Jul 23, 2012, 04:47 PM
It warns you about this in the software update window that pops up before you install the update.

Should have used the <blink> tag!

Jovian9
Jul 23, 2012, 04:54 PM

Hmmm. I guess I overlooked that. I don't see how because I had the window pop up in front of me and I think I would have noticed. Especially since I did it right when I was going to clone my Lion drive over to an external in preparation for ML. I would almost swear to not getting that particular window though but I guess I must have.

Jul 23, 2012, 04:56 PM

Exactly; I saw the same thing. And AGAIN: if you don't like it, roll back to the previous freeware version with TM.

kbmb
Jul 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
Exactly; I saw the same thing. And AGAIN: if you don't like it, roll back to the previous freeware version with TM.

3.5 will be required to work with ML.

So rolling back only helps if you are on SL or Lion.

-Kevin

tarasis
Jul 23, 2012, 05:17 PM
Hadn't heard about the switch. Huh. I only donated a couple of months back too. Shame he didn't take the time to e en email donors.

dukebound85
Jul 23, 2012, 05:18 PM
Hadn't heard about the switch. Huh. I only donated a couple of months back too. Shame he didn't take the time to e en email donors.

if you donated (regardless of amt), you get it for free.