PDA

View Full Version : Reuters Confirms a Smaller Dock Connector and Relocated Headphone Jack on Next iPhone

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 23, 2012, 03:23 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/reuters-confirms-a-smaller-dock-connector-and-relocated-headphone-jack-on-next-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/Apple-iPod-Dock-USB-2.0-Data-Cable-150x150.jpg

Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/23/us-apple-connector-idUSBRE86M07320120723) seems to confirm circulating rumors and expectations that Apple will be moving from the traditional 30-pin dock connector to a smaller 19-pin version for its next generation iPhone:The iPhone 5, Apple's next generation iPhone expected to go on sale around October, will come with a 19-pin connector port at the bottom instead of the proprietary 30-pin port "to make room for the earphone moving to the bottom", two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.Reuters also seems to confirm that the headphone jack of the new iPhone will move to the bottom of the device, as shown (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/07/iphone-5-back-cover-hands-on-video/) here:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/newdock.png

This image shows the new dock-connector and headphone jack location (right) as compared to the currently shipping iPhone 4S (left).
Reuters notes this will represent a big opportunity for accessory manufacturers as customers upgrade their existing accessories to new 19-pin compatible ones. Apple launched the original 30-pin dock connector with the 3rd generation iPod in 2003. Subsequent iPods, iPhones and iPads have shipped with the port and resulted in a large ecosystem of compatible accessories. The first report that Apple would be replacing their dock connector with a miniaturized one came in February 2012 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/23/apple-readying-miniaturized-dock-connector-for-future-iphones/) from iMore.

Article Link: Reuters Confirms a Smaller Dock Connector and Relocated Headphone Jack on Next iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/reuters-confirms-a-smaller-dock-connector-and-relocated-headphone-jack-on-next-iphone/)

Skika
Jul 23, 2012, 03:26 AM
Time to move on.

stringent
Jul 23, 2012, 03:27 AM
Just provide an adapter an I'm all happy and for it.

sinsin07
Jul 23, 2012, 03:27 AM
Earhone on the bottom? Cumbersome.

James Bond
Jul 23, 2012, 03:29 AM

but will they?

Vancouvercanuck
Is that a freaking joke? you mean all the accessories that i have bought would be obsolete soon? Way to tell people to use Android instead, Apple!

Eduardo1971
Headphone jack on the bottom?
I'm not looking forward to this. I believe it would be more cumbersome.

(didn't realize someone else wrote a very similar reply)

Feed Me
Jul 23, 2012, 03:31 AM
Is that a freaking joke? you mean all the accessories that i have bought would be obsolete soon? Way to tell people to use Android instead, Apple!

Bet you can't wait to plug your Samsung nexus galaxy chocolate sponge cake world edition with tingling sense HD powered by android 4.1 beta with 3D into your iPod dock. :rolleyes:

Icaras
Jul 23, 2012, 03:31 AM

This is actually a welcome change for me. I hate having to always flip my iPhone vertically when putting it in my pocket.

Canaan
Jul 23, 2012, 03:34 AM

Yeah cause they wouldn't have to buy new accessories if they did that right?

Even if Apple does switch to a new standard dock (it's about time they do anyway as this thing is getting old), we're bound to see accessories very quickly and most likely third parties will create adapters as well. Sure it's inconvenient, but it was bound to happen eventually.

AngerDanger
Jul 23, 2012, 03:36 AM

Oh boy, two dock connectors! Thank god Android isn't fragmented at all. :rolleyes:

sinsin07
Jul 23, 2012, 03:37 AM
This is actually a welcome change for me. I hate having to always flip my iPhone vertically when putting it in my pocket.

Strange problem.

charlieegan3
Jul 23, 2012, 03:38 AM
Maybe this is just the iPad mini (and its a lot more mini than we thought)

miniroll32
Jul 23, 2012, 03:40 AM

Yeah, I mean it's only been 9 years afterall...

ixodes
Jul 23, 2012, 03:43 AM
It's nice to see that Apple is releasing it's death grip on the ugly, absurdly large dock connector. This new smaller size is more in line with Apple's typically attractive designs.

vincebio
Jul 23, 2012, 03:44 AM

get a grip on reality and calm down....:rolleyes:

nothing will be obsolete...there will be a long period (circa 2 years) of adapters available before it becomes the new standard.

why all the drama> nothing better to do?

peterjames.org
Jul 23, 2012, 03:44 AM
Apple should just make it a micro-USB, now that they are adept at putting standard ports on the Retina MBP (HDMI, USB 3). Didn't the EU mandate that all phones sold needed to connect (or charge) via micro-USB or the manufacturer must provide an adapter free of charge? This would be one way to bring the cost down further (and keep the margin higher) by using a standard jack like this....proprietary connectors are so 1986 (ADB, anyone?)

Griffindor73
Jul 23, 2012, 03:45 AM
This is annoying in the sense that I have a hifi dock that cost over £200 as well as numerous leads and things around the house that our two iPods, two iPhones and the iPad connect to. Then suddenly my next phone will connect to none of these things, all so apple can make the phone a tiny bit thinner. Mmmm... Progress for progress sake?

fishmoose
Jul 23, 2012, 03:47 AM
Apple should just make it a micro-USB, now that they are adept at putting standard ports on the Retina MBP (HDMI, USB 3). Didn't the EU mandate that all phones sold needed to connect (or charge) via micro-USB or the manufacturer must provide an adapter free of charge? This would be one way to bring the cost down further (and keep the margin higher) by using a standard jack like this....proprietary connectors are so 1986 (ADB, anyone?)

The dock connector can do a lot more than micro-USB such as audio and video.

Smeaton1724
Jul 23, 2012, 03:48 AM
Nothing wrong with progress at all. If they can have a dock connector do the same as the current one, then why not. They can easily put out an adapter from new to old.

However I don't like how convoluted the Apple selection of devices is becoming, in essence we'll see 3 branches of mobile device

"Legacy"
iPhone 3gs, has ios 6 but limited features and now the old dock.
iPhone 4, more features than the 3gs on ios 6, old dock.
iPad 2, no siri on ios 6 and old dock.

"Legacy connector but full OS"
iPhone 4s, all the features of ios 6, new dock.
iPad 3, all features of ios 6, old dock.

"New Connector and full OS"
All of the features:
iPhone 5 or whatever
iPad mini (If it exists)
iPad 4

ipedro
Jul 23, 2012, 03:49 AM
If you think about it, the original iPod dock connector is still in use today. Though iPods and iPhones have gotten smaller, the dock connector has remained the same. It's freakin huge!

Those of you crying out because you have accessories that will become obsolete, Apple has a simple path to backwards compatibility. The audio jack also supplies data. An adaptor that plugs in to both the new 19 pin dock connector and the audio mini jack could possibly provide a direct connection to all 30 pins. It would add just a few millimetres to your accessory, most of which have the iPod/iPhone located on the top so it will not make a difference.

Also, given that the new iPhone will likely be taller, even if it had the original 30 pin dock connector, it wouldn't fit inside accessories that were shaped for the iPod or any iPhone to date.

SBlue1
Jul 23, 2012, 03:56 AM
What, wait, it's not micro-USB? Why?? I don't want another charger for my phone, I have a handfull already. :(

usptact
For when an uniform connector & charger for all modern smartphones?

KENPHOTO
If they change the dock connector every 9 years, that is fine with me. This is quite normal in the world of computing. 9 years is a long time to keep using the same dock connector. I am sure they will come out with an adapter. If Apple doesn't, third party accessory makers will.

RJCP
Jul 23, 2012, 03:57 AM
The only thing which bothers me in this design is the asymmetry on the bottom. I think the 4/4s design is one of the most beautiful things Apple ever engineered and this new bottom with headphone jack, asymmetric speakers and smaller dock looks clunky and amateurish.

KENPHOTO
Jul 23, 2012, 03:58 AM
This is annoying in the sense that I have a hifi dock that cost over £200 as well as numerous leads and things around the house that our two iPods, two iPhones and the iPad connect to. Then suddenly my next phone will connect to none of these things, all so apple can make the phone a tiny bit thinner. Mmmm... Progress for progress sake?

Well use some forward thinking. I would not be getting any expensive dock products as wireless is the way to go. Ether Bluetooth or wifi.

SG457
Jul 23, 2012, 03:58 AM
I'm more interested in the new connector's charging speed :)

KENPHOTO
Jul 23, 2012, 03:59 AM
Bet you can't wait to plug your Samsung nexus galaxy chocolate sponge cake world edition with tingling sense HD powered by android 4.1 beta with 3D into your iPod dock. :rolleyes:

Lol! Classic comment. Almost pissed myself laughing at that one.

Smeaton1724
Jul 23, 2012, 04:01 AM
Could Apple be putting micro usb on their devices to comply with the EU regulation as opposed to their own type of connection? The mockup in the story seems like it would fit.

So the dock becomes more of a secondary connection type, with wireless charging and sync'ing being rolled out in the refresh? Instead of having docks for our phones, we have a mat/sync pad, put your iPhone down on it and automatically it charges and streams video or music to your Apple TV or Air play enabled device.

That way Apple wouldn't provide a sync cable when buying the phone and thus make packaging smaller also?

peterjames.org
Jul 23, 2012, 04:01 AM
The dock connector can do a lot more than micro-USB such as audio and video.

It isn't a question of the connector, its the throughput of the bus. As long as the iPhone 5, iPod Touch (5G) and iPad 4 can take advantage of USB 3 (or better still, Thunderbolt), accessory makers will get onboard.

maxluc
Jul 23, 2012, 04:02 AM
If this is legit, might be a massive design fail, placing the microphones even further away from either a right- or left-handed user’s mouth when talking on the phone and possibly even placing an obstacle there (cable) further diminishing speech quality.

philoscoffee
Apple should just make it a micro-USB, now that they are adept at putting standard ports on the Retina MBP (HDMI, USB 3). Didn't the EU mandate that all phones sold needed to connect (or charge) via micro-USB or the manufacturer must provide an adapter free of charge?

Micro-USB is fine for syncing and charging, but doesn’t support the additional functions (e.g. video/HDMI out) that Apple’s proprietary connector allows. Apple wouldn’t include two connectors that perform the same function, so I expect we’ll see an adapter.

With a bit of luck, the new connector will include both digital and analogue audio outputs.

mokle
I hope it´s a MagSafe dock connector - I bet they don´t just change the size, Apple would also want to revolusionize the way we charge...

Isn´t there a metal rim there?

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 04:05 AM
What, wait, it's not micro-USB? Why?? I don't want another charger for my phone, I have a handfull already. :(

Don't throw the charger away. Most likely the other end of the new cable will plug into the standard USB port on the charger.

Besides. The charger comes in the box with the iPhone (so does the cable). You might not want it to, but it does.

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 04:07 AM
Oh boy, two dock connectors! Thank god Android isn't fragmented at all. :rolleyes:

That's not the point. Yes, Android is fragmented and you need a new accessory with every phone. The point is, that the only thing causing people to cling on to their outdated iPhone is the tie is to accessories and the eco system. Take one of those away and the cost of moving is less.

Now that Android (Phone and OS) is streaks ahead of Apple, more people will jump ship.

On a separate note, the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone is the place it always goes on Google Nexus devices, and it's the best place for it.

ixodes
Jul 23, 2012, 04:08 AM

Apple _is_ proprietary. You're buying into a closed, locked down iToyz system.

AndyCarolan
Jul 23, 2012, 04:10 AM
All fine by me... its progress. The only thing I use the dock connector for here is to charge the device.

I can however see a few issues arising with existing equipment using the old dock connector, but I'm sure there will be many adaptors available shortly after launch, if not before.

AdeFowler
Jul 23, 2012, 04:11 AM

If we weren’t prepared to adapt and change once in a while, we’d still be using SCSI ;)

sinsin07
Jul 23, 2012, 04:13 AM
the dock connector can do a lot more than micro-usb such as audio and video.

mhl

attila
Jul 23, 2012, 04:17 AM
An analyst confirms? How is that possible?

Fernandez21
Jul 23, 2012, 04:17 AM
well, this sucks for my clock radio, it has two docks (one for my iPad and the other for my iphone) I wonder what we will lose with the new dock connector having only 19 pins instead of 30?

Eadfrith
Jul 23, 2012, 04:18 AM
This seems to be the same rumour rehashed over and over again. How about some other hardware specs. RAM, processor, GPU, camera??

lukarak
Jul 23, 2012, 04:20 AM
It's not that big of a problem. Most devices in the iPhone and iPhone 3G and 3GS era had the dock that was designed for their shape. When the iPhone 4 came, it didn't fit inside all that well.

With this, at least it's the same shape of the bottom, you'll just have to purchase an adapter that will be the width and thickness of the iPhone, and that will have a male new connector on top, and the female old one on the bottom. It will lengthen your iPhone by 1 or 2 cm, and when you look at it from below it will look like the old iPhone 4 and 4S models, to use with all accessories.

The only problem will be the accessories that encompass the whole iPhone, like those arcade systems and some other stuff, but since iPhone 5 is growing in height even without such an adapter, it's not only the dock connector problem.

Dr McKay
Jul 23, 2012, 04:21 AM
Yeah cause they wouldn't have to buy new accessories if they did that right?

Well that was an argument Apple used when Windows 7 launched, "If you're going to have to move your files to a new OS, why not move to Mac?"

quietstormSD
As long as there are adapters, I'm fine with it. And please Apple don't sell the adapter for 20+ dollars that costs like 50 cents to make.

M87
The headphone jack on the bottom actually makes a lot of sense to me. As far as the redesigned dock connector, they've been using the same one for a very long time so I don't think you can really get too mad about them changing it, I just hope Apogee makes adapters for their iOS devices.

sinsin07
Jul 23, 2012, 04:23 AM
On a separate note, the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone is the place it always goes on Google Nexus devices, and it's the best place for it.

Why?

NbinHD
Jul 23, 2012, 04:27 AM

Dude, calm down, relax. I'm 90% Apple will come out with a adapter, it wouldn't make sense to not. Although knowing Apple they will charge you a premium for it.

unlinked
Jul 23, 2012, 04:34 AM

Apple could do this every 18 months and still be in a better situation than Android.

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 04:34 AM
Why?

In my opinion there are 2 reasons, and I agree it's subjective.

1. The cable coming out of the bottom of the device means it's less likely to obscure the screen when holding the device in hand or when it's in a car mount.

2. It's natural to place your phone into your pocket bottom side up. With the iPhone you have to swap that behaviour when the headphones are plugged in.

hms84
Jul 23, 2012, 04:36 AM
I bet it's just a micro USB! for the EU requirements.

sireShonBohn
Jul 23, 2012, 04:38 AM

PC's are generationally proprietary, so the difference equalizes over time.

If you own a 5 year old PC you are locked out of today's accessories and speeds.

I have Dell XPS from the end of 2006, it has a firewire 400 port, USB 2.0 ports, a VGA port, S-Video, a phone modem, an A/B/G wireless card, Bluetooth 1, a DVD drive, and a mini PCI card slot. Even though everything still works, it's all yesterday's unsupported, slow technology. Although, I have upgraded it 3 times and replaced the monitor, so PC's do have that going for them.

unlinked
Jul 23, 2012, 04:38 AM
Micro-USB is fine for syncing and charging, but doesn’t support the additional functions (e.g. video/HDMI out) that Apple’s proprietary connector allows. Apple wouldn’t include two connectors that perform the same function, so I expect we’ll see an adapter.

With a bit of luck, the new connector will include both digital and analogue audio outputs.

Isn't that exactly what MHL USB is for? Not that Apple will adopt that either.

starwxrwx
Jul 23, 2012, 04:39 AM
"to make room for the earphone moving to the bottom",

Right. Apply completely re-designed the 30 pin dock connector just because of the placement of the headphone jack.

Either the source has no idea what they are talking about and is therefore bogus, or the source was badly mis-quoted.

There are plenty of reasons to re-do the dock connector, but pretty sure putting the headphone jack on the bottom is not the primary one.

If it is to be slimmer I understand, however there really is such a wealth of docks out there that the new connector will have to add some significant benefit.

jlnr
Jul 23, 2012, 04:40 AM
If we weren’t prepared to adapt and change once in a while, we’d still be using SCSI ;)

Change is great if it has a clear advantage. With the new pico-SIM-card, the MagSafe 2 and the new Dock connector, it's only about saving a few mm...all while phones actually grow bigger. I don't want to use different chargers or adapters for my iPad 3 and the next iPhone, or when I borrow a friend's laptop charger.

If you want change for the sake of change, why not lobby the government to change the power socket format again? My god, it's so...old already!

KENPHOTO
Jul 23, 2012, 04:40 AM
That's not the point. Yes, Android is fragmented and you need a new accessory with every phone. The point is, that the only thing causing people to cling on to their outdated iPhone is the tie is to accessories and the eco system. Take one of those away and the cost of moving is less.

Now that Android (Phone and OS) is streaks ahead of Apple, more people will jump ship.

How in the heck do you reckon Android (Phone and OS) is streaks ahead of Apple? Really? I picked up the latest and greatest Samsung Android phone the other day in a phone shop and compared it to my iPhone 4s. the Android phone was slower and not graphics were not as good.

Lancer
Jul 23, 2012, 04:42 AM
Wouldn't Apple consult the 3rd party vendors for all the iPhone devices?

Anything that has a fixed cradle with 30 pin connector could have problems. It's good that most after market car head units have a USB connector so you just plug in the right lead.

I've been looking at getting a dock for sometime, guess I'll wait until after the next iPhone comes out.

unlinked
Jul 23, 2012, 04:43 AM
How in the heck do you reckon Android (Phone and OS) is streaks ahead of Apple? Really? I picked up the latest and greatest Samsung Android phone the other day in a phone shop and compared it to my iPhone 4s. the Android phone was slower and not graphics were not as good.

Your argument would hold more water if you knew the name of the Samsung phone you compared. Samsung make quite a few phones you know.

iCaleb
Smaller is always better.

bharatgupta
well i hope n pray it to be a magsafe connector, would be awesome, i m not buying anything else other than this phone :apple:

appleguy
Jul 23, 2012, 04:47 AM
Get with the times people.

Maybe the new port will give us newer higher speed devices.

Plug in thunderbolt monitor perhaps, Computer Mode when screen/keyboard and mouse present.

And maybe even a snappier Safari

mikerr
Jul 23, 2012, 04:48 AM
I hope it´s a MagSafe dock connector - I bet they don´t just change the size, Apple would also want to revolusionize the way we charge...

+1 I'm surprised magsafe or similar isn't used for more connectors that I actually do frequently plug and unplug - like dock connector and usb

Though microsoft may beat them to it:
http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-surface-could-debut-magsafe-data-hybrid-hook-up-19234611/

heimo
Jul 23, 2012, 04:49 AM
Dude, calm down, relax. I'm 90% Apple will come out with a adapter, it wouldn't make sense to not. Although knowing Apple they will charge you a premium for it.

It will be priced at 29 - dollars, euros or pounds.

Lindono
Jul 23, 2012, 04:49 AM
Well that was an argument Apple used when Windows 7 launched, "If you're going to have to move your files to a new OS, why not move to Mac?"

Microsoft really let Apple have that though. No upgrade path from XP to 7 was a big slap in the face to businesses worldwide, and many consumers, the majority of which were still on XP. Many businesses are still using XP, even as it approaches EOL. I would not be surprised if we see many colleges go all-Mac once that happens, seeing as how their students largely are already. Like you said, if you have to transfer all your files manually anyway, then why the hell not go Mac? It'll even do it for you.

Nozuka
Jul 23, 2012, 04:51 AM
Just please a connector that doesnt care which way you put it in and goes in easily.

MagSafe would be perfect, of course.

charliecc

I've had a Galaxy Nexus since Nov having owned a 3, a 3G and the 4, and IMO Android is significantly better as is the hardware.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great phone, and back when I owned my iPhone it was the best on the market. Now, it's been surpassed and those who want the best phone and are not slaves to marketing buy Android.

appleguy
maybe it is a form of magsafe technology. But more than just power charging

tiptopp
Jul 23, 2012, 04:52 AM
... I don't like how convoluted the Apple selection of devices is becoming, in essence we'll see 3 branches of mobile device

"Legacy"
iPhone 3gs, has ios 6 but limited features and now the old dock.
iPhone 4, more features than the 3gs on ios 6, old dock.
iPad 2, no siri on ios 6 and old dock.

iPad 3, all features of ios 6, old dock.

"New Connector and full OS"
All of the features:
iPhone 5 or whatever
iPad mini (If it exists)
iPad 4

I think the "Legacy connector but full OS" is wrong. Should read "Legacy connector and nearly full OS", on the basis that I reckon Apple will be introducing something new (NFC?) into the new iPhone...

The only thing which bothers me in this design is the asymmetry on the bottom. I think the 4/4s design is one of the most beautiful things Apple ever engineered and this new bottom with headphone jack, asymmetric speakers and smaller dock looks clunky and amateurish.

It's pedantic, I know, but only one of them is a speaker...

I'm no expert, but I'm sure some of you are. Could the new connector be the EU-required micro-USB? And could it be that the headphone socket has been moved and improved so that, when connected to the new dock which contains a micro-USB and a 3.5mm jack it has all the same functionality as the current one?

If this is legit, might be a massive design fail, placing the microphones even further away from either a right- or left-handed user’s mouth when talking on the phone and possibly even placing an obstacle there (cable) further diminishing speech quality.

Looking at the picture, it looks like the microphone (if it's the smaller of the two) is slightly more central than on the iP4(s). But does it really matter where it is? It's surely sensitive enough. It works pretty well as a speaker phone, after all...

You've got a point on the cable, though. I don't get that, unless it's got another use (e.g. as part of the dock connection). It's not a problem for me - I use bluetooth for music and phone. But if you're listening to music and get a call, the music stops, and then starts when you hang up. And if you had to remove wired headphones to take a call (e.g. because your 'phones don't include a microphone), when you hang up either the music won't start again, or it would come out of the speaker. Neither is an improvement on the current system.

So there must be something else going on with the move of headphone socket. Just a shame that we won't be certain until either it's released, or something becomes obvious within iOS6...

Tiptopp

KENPHOTO
Jul 23, 2012, 04:52 AM
Your argument would hold more water if you knew the name of the Samsung phone you compared. Samsung make quite a few phones you know.

Galaxy s3

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 04:53 AM
well i hope n pray it to be a magsafe connector, would be awesome, i m not buying anything else other than this phone :apple:

Well this just about sums it up. Apart from rumours, no idea what the phone will actually be like, but buying it anyway because they've been Apple-washed.

Winni
Jul 23, 2012, 05:00 AM
That's not the point. Yes, Android is fragmented and you need a new accessory with every phone.

I don't know what Android phones you are talking about, because the last time I looked the all used shared industry standards. For example, unlike Apple, Android even has a full and standards-compliant implementation of the BlueTooth standard. And all Android gadgets use standard USB cables to power and connect the device. Oh, and they don't need external software like iTunes to let the user access his data on the device.

But you're right - if you're talking about sleeves and cases, you have to buy a new one for each phone. Could have something to do with the variety of form factors...

I've said it before and I say it again: Apple calls this fragmentation, others call it freedom, diversity and choice.

SiriusExcelsior
Jul 23, 2012, 05:04 AM

As a 2nd- and 4th-gen iPod nano user, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how much sense this makes.. your phone would be correctly oriented when you pull it out of your pocket! Your cheaper "iPod" dock no longer needs a 3.5mm cable snaking up to the top of the phone! :D

FrankHahn
Jul 23, 2012, 05:04 AM
The small dock connector on the new iPhone is now a nail in the wood!

Dr McKay
Jul 23, 2012, 05:08 AM
Microsoft really let Apple have that though. No upgrade path from XP to 7 was a big slap in the face to businesses worldwide, and many consumers, the majority of which were still on XP. Many businesses are still using XP, even as it approaches EOL. I would not be surprised if we see many colleges go all-Mac once that happens, seeing as how their students largely are already. Like you said, if you have to transfer all your files manually anyway, then why the hell not go Mac? It'll even do it for you.

I don't want to go Mac, because I feel at home in Windows, I enjoy using my PC. I haven't had a good experience with Macs so id be unlikely to go back. Plus none of the Macs out there have a video card that I want.

But you're right - if you're talking about sleeves and cases, you have to buy a new one for each phone. Could have something to do with the variety of form factors...

I've said it before and I say it again: Apple calls this fragmentation, others call it freedom, diversity and choice.

Half the time you need to do that with iPhone. Half the accessories made for each iPhone won't work with the next one, stuff made for the 2G wouldn't work with the 3G like the docks, My case for my iPhone 4 didn't fit on my 4S.

Supermule
Jul 23, 2012, 05:13 AM
This Iphone 5...sorry 6...talk is getting borring...

Anyone who wants to join me for some soccer or frisbee in the sun?

tech4all
Jul 23, 2012, 05:15 AM
Bet you can't wait to plug your Samsung nexus galaxy chocolate sponge cake world edition

Actually it's called the Galaxy Nexus.

with tingling sense HD

It does tingle and it feels great! :p

powered by android 4.1 beta...

Actually Android 4.1 isn't beta, it's a fully finished product.

If you're going to try to make fun of a product, at least know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

Then it wasn't JB.

Smaller is always better.

That's what she said :p

In regards to the connection to a computer, no Android isn't fragmented. All use the standard USB connection. So technically Apple, again in regards to the connection and this rumor, is now fragmented.

If we're talking about screen sized and resolution, well Android looses there :o

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 05:17 AM
I don't know what Android phones you are talking about, because the last time I looked the all used shared industry standards. For example, unlike Apple, Android even has a full and standards-compliant implementation of the BlueTooth standard. And all Android gadgets use standard USB cables to power and connect the device. Oh, and they don't need external software like iTunes to let the user access his data on the device.

Yep you're quite right, I didn't phrase it very well. You need new cases for each phone etc, the other accessories like USB mini charger etc are fairly standard across the board.

Thinking about it though, you pretty much need a new case each time for the iPhone, and if you don't need a new case, there's usually no need to get the new iPhone, 4 --> 4S = pointless.

iCole
Jul 23, 2012, 05:18 AM

iToyz. Haven't heard that before. Because the biggest selling Android phone isn't one made of plastic with a fisherprice OS skin. :rolleyes:

DakotaGuy
Jul 23, 2012, 05:18 AM
What a wonderful way to sell everyone new accessories! Mega $$$. I'll just stick with a phone that uses an industry standard connector. As far as my iPod's go I'm glad that I never purchased any expensive docking speakers, etc.

tiptopp
Jul 23, 2012, 05:19 AM
The small dock connector on the new iPhone is now a nail in the wood!

Presumably you mean "nail in the coffin"? Nails in wood can be very useful, and are often the difference between something not working, and working!

Tiptopp

upthetoffees
Jul 23, 2012, 05:26 AM

Same here but make it come with the iphone. I don't understand why so many people are defending this new connector. Yes it has been a while since it changed but a lot of us have bought devices using the old connector and will continue to use it.

The BS part of this is that they have made a design decision and as a result have created an extra charge for us which will give them money. It should be free with the phone.

snowstormtea
Jul 23, 2012, 05:29 AM
I bet it's just a micro USB! for the EU requirements.

You bet! Apple are rich enough to pay €1,000,000 per/day to have it their way. :)

penajmz
Jul 23, 2012, 05:31 AM
Who said you are forced to buy the new iPhone. If you don't want a new charger on top of all the other ones you have then don't buy it. :rolleyes:

Sedrick
Jul 23, 2012, 05:31 AM
I'll be very much surprised if you don't still need an Apple cable.

fullstop102
Jul 23, 2012, 05:36 AM
I am still using a firewire to USB converter in my car so it charges from my original 30 pin connector before they made the change to USB charge only. There will be a converter for this change too. I will just have to buy a new car kit, otherwise the cable out of my phone will be larger than the phone.

Time for change people.

djgamble
Jul 23, 2012, 05:39 AM
... Ironically a standard micro USB cable is still smaller?

apolloa
Jul 23, 2012, 05:45 AM
Wow, Reutuers confirms RUMOURS about a new connector... why? Has it actually seen the iPhone 5 then? Because I think 'confirms' is it a bit of a strong word to use...

They can say what they want, I don't believe any of the rumours until I see the actual phone, we have not had any leaks like the iPhpne 4, and last year everyone was SOOOOO convinced of a total redesign, we all know how that turned out...

Monkeydude
Jul 23, 2012, 05:49 AM
:)Maybe this is just the iPad mini (and its a lot more mini than we thought)
I liked that one :D

Michael Scrip
Jul 23, 2012, 05:50 AM
"The new iPhone looks stupid with a taller screen... 16x9 sucks"

**runs off to Android... where every phone has a 16x9 screen...

"The new iPhone is changing its dock connector... none of my old accessories will work"

**runs off to Android where they still won't work... plus there are NO accessories for your particular phone at all...

But hey... at least you can get MicroUSB charging cables for less than $1

;)

Monkeydude
Jul 23, 2012, 05:54 AM

Your old gear wil still work, won't it? So what is the fuzz about? I bet when you bought it, they said it ist compatible with iPhone 4/s or whatever. I guess there wasn't word about an iPhone 5 compability, was there?

mikkker007
Jul 23, 2012, 05:54 AM
To be honest, I never understood why Apple put the H/P socket at the top... In regards to the 30pin..... Lets move on its a 9 year old design. Thats like B.C in Tech time. Just a thing to remember, its Hardware/software integration that we LOve about Apple, You'd have to stick my Nuts in a vice before I'd even think about Android........ Bring the new phone on.........:)

BadboyHouse
Jul 23, 2012, 05:56 AM
Well use some forward thinking. I would not be getting any expensive dock products as wireless is the way to go. Ether Bluetooth or wifi.

Totally agree. I play music and sync wirelessly; the only time I need to connect the dock cable is when I'm charging over night.

No stress for me this.

Drag'nGT
Jul 23, 2012, 05:57 AM
Man I hope that's a significantly bigger speaker. I'm tired of the awful ones we've had all these years.

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 06:00 AM
You'd have to stick my Nuts in a vice before I'd even think about Android

It's a shame Android started out where it did. The top end devices that are now running ICS or JB are far superior to the iPhone, but past deficiencies in Android have caused this point of view.

The only thing going for the iPhone now is the quality of it's apps.

snowstormtea
Jul 23, 2012, 06:00 AM

Some of us still use SAS and other SCSI likes as consumer ports just don't cut it :D

zbarsky
Jul 23, 2012, 06:04 AM
I've had a Galaxy Nexus since Nov having owned a 3, a 3G and the 4, and IMO Android is significantly better as is the hardware.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great phone, and back when I owned my iPhone it was the best on the market. Now, it's been surpassed and those who want the best phone and are not slaves to marketing buy Android.

But in reality, Android trails in 3rd place to Windows Phone 8, which offers a much better experience than Android.

alexgowers
Jul 23, 2012, 06:07 AM
Oh dear Reuters you are wrong!

There is no change to dock or headphones

Look at new ipad headphones at top and ordinary dock connector.

These rumours are full of HOT AIR!

Next iphone will be a redesign but not much of one.

There is no need to break the current iphone, in fact i would suggest the current dock connector is the best design for rigidity and small size. Any reduction in size would result in the connector becoming weak like the crappy usb ones out there that flop around in their poor spec designs.

The dock is a perfectly modern design and allows for i/o upgrades with it's size and additional features with so many pins. To dump it now would not be in anyone's interest as the space saving would be 0.0% compared to say new screen technology or better antenna or battery tech. The size saved by a dock is not worth the trade off of breaking apart ipod accessories etc.

I can see no reason for a new dock and these designs are fake as usual anyway.

You only have to look at the hype on a new iphone design for the 4s despite us all knowing the design would be like the 3g and 3gs just a refresh.

I wish mac rumours would stop publishing articles they know are fake and titling them as if they are fact. Reuters is not a reliable source at all.

Trust me on this one there is no aspect ratio change (there has never been one!)
Trust me there will be a standard dock (There has never been anything else)
Trust me the headphone jack will not move (It's never moved)

These truths rule out any layout changes and these are the only things being suggested as rumours.

The reality is the design will be the familiar layout with some cosmetic updates to reflect new technology such as thinning of the screen and maybe an updated antenna design that allows for material on the back to change but it's all a bit vague.

SteelWheel
Jul 23, 2012, 06:08 AM
All you guys are missing the boat here. A smaller dock connector was an inevitability. The bad part is the report (if true) that the headphone jack will be on the bottom.

I am one of many iPhone users who often cannot make it through a day on one charge, hence I use a Mophie Juice Pack--in the past I've used other "wraparound" external batteries as well. Put that headphone jack on the bottom, and (thanks, Tim!) you'll have to go through the extra step of sliding that spiffy new iPhone out of your Mophie whenever you want to listen to music or have a better or slightly more private call.

Or (better still!) there'll be yet another cottage industry of accessories. This time you'll have to buy both an external battery and a headphone plug extender.

Does this remind anyone of the stupid, totally unnecessary recessed headphone jack on the original iPhone?

Bad move, Apple...

chairguru22
Jul 23, 2012, 06:09 AM

+1. Also when I plug it into my car, the way my cords come out of the center console, my phone is upside down.

deannnnn
Jul 23, 2012, 06:15 AM
If it's micro-usb or mag safe then the new dock connector makes sense. Anything else and I can't see a single legitimate reason for it.

hobo.hopkins
Jul 23, 2012, 06:15 AM
People will always whine when a company progresses or moves forward. The dock connector was bound to change eventually - just get over it.

Saladinos
Jul 23, 2012, 06:17 AM

Isn´t there a metal rim there?

Same. I typically have a long cable to my iPad. I've tripped on it and the iPad has a dent as a result. Remember wishing it was magnetic, too.

el3ktro
Jul 23, 2012, 06:20 AM

No, much better if you ask me. I always have my iPhone in my pocket oriented upwards (with the headphone jack on the top). When I reach in my pocket to grab my iPhone, it's in my hand in the wrong orientation.

When the headphone jack is at the bottom, I can put the iPhone in my pocket upside-down and when I reach in my pocket to grab it, it'll be in the right orientation.

Kelmon
Jul 23, 2012, 06:23 AM
I can't say that I see this as good news. Progress is nice but I don't see a reason yet for throwing away an existing eco-system that has taken long enough to get to the stage that it is today. Yes, the existing connector is big but it isn't that big and it does what is needed. Given that we are trying to remove the need for a connector completely (wireless syncing and AirPlay) I can't say that the connector is an area in need of innovating.

An adaptor will help but you can just see that using one will make your iDevice incompatible with some existing devices that provide a dock connector because it was never intended to need an adaptor.

cg0def
Jul 23, 2012, 06:23 AM
as if the Reuters all of a sudden has some secret stash of indisputable inside information on Apple products. No offence to anyone but ... like hell that's a final iPhone case.

Apple has always has the choice of anodising the antenna and yet they didn't. Did you ever wonder why? And if so why would you think that those reasons don't hold true anymore? This is an entirely engineering/physics driven decision and not an aesthetic one.

2nd, why do you think that every iPhone since the very first uses a wire mesh cover of the speaker/mic? Might that not have something to do with the performance too? Apple has had the ability to drill holes like the ones shown here for a very long time now. Yet those would create a mediocre performance of the components underneath.

And last but not least, in what world would Jonny sign off on a design that uses to different size covers for the speaker and mic?

So yeah thanks, Reuters, maybe you are right about the smaller connector but it is highly unlikely that the jack is moving to the bottom and there is no way in hell that that photo is an actual production ready iPhone design. And that's exactly why I spend my money on Apple products!

Dronac
Jul 23, 2012, 06:26 AM
... Ironically a standard micro USB cable is still smaller?

Yes, but it also has less pins. With the Apple dock connector, accessories can access video, analog audio, and power pins without the need to digitally multiplex the connection. That allows for things like simple Dock to Component A/V cables. You can do alot more with the Apple dock then you can with USB.

SirHaakon
Jul 23, 2012, 06:36 AM
I didn't think anything could prevent me from getting the iPhone 6, but moving the headphone jack to the bottom could very well do it. What a terrible move.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 23, 2012, 06:41 AM
1) if iDevices are USB3 going forward the masses will not care the new connector is smaller.

2) There will be an adapter to allow speaker docks & such compatible.

3) smaller dock connector gives Apple greater flexibility to device design.

4) Nothing is forever (Remember when Apple went from NuBus to PCI or Dropped SCSI.) Some of you complain for the sake of complaining.

5) Regarding headphone jack - Say Apple lets the iPhone screen flip 360 deg. like the iPad. Problem solved. Or you could just put it upside down in your pocket.

Kebabselector
Jul 23, 2012, 06:42 AM
The top end devices that are now running ICS or JB are far superior to the iPhone

You've mentioned/alluded to this a number of times so what is better then?

I didn't think anything could prevent me from getting the iPhone 6, but moving the headphone jack to the bottom could very well do it. What a boneheaded move.

Works perfectly well on the iPod touch.

infiniteammo
Jul 23, 2012, 06:47 AM
I can appreciate the new connector, and the headphone being on the bottom is a plus for me as well, but saying it's to make room for the headphone jack is complete BS. iPod touch has always achieved that while been significantly smaller. Not buying that for a second.

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 06:52 AM
If it's micro-usb or mag safe then the new dock connector makes sense. Anything else and I can't see a single legitimate reason for it.

There are legitimate reasons, but you can't see them.

Reason077
Jul 23, 2012, 06:52 AM
It's a bit ironic that the fandroids are slagging Apple for changing the dock connector.

They do realise that the Samsung Galaxy S3, pinnacle of the Android universe, uses a proprietary 11-pin connector that is compatible with no other phone... right?

infiniteammo
Jul 23, 2012, 06:54 AM
It's a bit ironic that the fandroids are slagging Apple for changing the dock connector.

They do realise that the Samsung Galaxy S3, pinnacle of the Android universe, uses a proprietary 11-pin connector that is compatible with no other phone... right?

It's those of us with tons of money invested in 30-pin speaker system / dock combos who also want iPhone 5 that are aggravated. Why would an Android fan care at all what Apple does with their dock connector?

Dionte
Jul 23, 2012, 06:54 AM
Since I rarely use my headphone jack I guess it won't take much time to adjust.

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 06:56 AM
You've mentioned/alluded to this a number of times so what is better then?

Everything, except the quality of the apps and the camera.

brenkh
Jul 23, 2012, 07:02 AM

I've been laughing uncontrollably for an hour now...

Reason077
Jul 23, 2012, 07:03 AM

No doubt the biggest motivation is to make the dock connector smaller. It currently takes up a bit chunk of space on the device, and a smaller connector leaves as much space as possible for future smaller and thinner iDevices.

This is the same reason they shrunk the magsafe connector on the latest MacBooks, and keep shrinking the SIM card format.

Kebabselector
Jul 23, 2012, 07:05 AM

Thanks for clearing that up.

AFDoc
Again it seems the MR crowd is filled with drama for no reason. NO it does NOT mean all your current docks, chords ect ect become "obsolete". It simply means you won't be able to use them with the rumored iPhone 5. You will still be able to use them with all your existing iDevices. Every one calm down, take a deep breath and relax. Your lives WILL go on.

Mad Mac Maniac
When I see articles like this I can't help but wonder.. are they actually independently confirming other reports... or are they just looking at all the other rumors and repeating them?

Mal
Jul 23, 2012, 07:06 AM

So nothing important then? Apps are everything on a smartphone, short of battery life and I've never heard any significant complaints about the iPhone's battery.

jW

Piggie
Jul 23, 2012, 07:07 AM
No doubt the biggest motivation is to make the dock connector smaller. It currently takes up a bit chunk of space on the device, and a smaller connector leaves as much space as possible for future smaller and thinner iDevices.

This is the same reason they shrunk the magsafe connector on the latest MacBooks, and keep shrinking the SIM card format.

But in 2012/2013 should be be plugging physical wires into holes in the 1st place?

We can charge and send data without wires now.
Even if you wanted to keep the charging option then all the phone would need would be 2 tiny contacts and nothing else (like a cordless home phone has for charging)

BornAgainApple
Jul 23, 2012, 07:08 AM
So long as Apple or an after-market vendor sells a 30-19 adapter, I'll be fine. I have a great sounding Bose system with the dock, and it would be another blow to my checking account if I needed to buy a new one. :eek:

Rodimus Prime
Jul 23, 2012, 07:11 AM

I am going to point out that he is right on about it. The new dock connector makes all your connection devices useless and obsolete in the fact that you can not just plug your iPhone into them any more.
Since that major cost of replacement of everything is now no longer a factor as no matter what you do they would have to be replaced it causes more people to jump ship as that is no longer an increased cost in eating.

What honestly annoys me about them changing the dock connector is they still refuse to put a micro USB port on the phone as well. If they are going to change it they might as well go with the standard everyone else uses on their phone or add it in as another port on the side to use.

VulchR
If this rumor is true, then I have mixed feelings about it at best. First, for all of you who are claiming the sky is falling, you do realize that the dock connector has already been changed? The external appearance didn't change, but the signals on some of the pins did. Second, for all you fans of Android, it is possible to charge an iPhone with a micro-USB - just get a battery case. Third, and this is where I see a big issue, for those of us who do use a battery case (for protection and for prolonged GPS tracking during hiking in my case), having the earphone jack on the bottom is just plain awkward. Indeed, I cannot fathom what would posses Apple to change the position, because earphone jack on the bottom is likely to cause cable strain. Moreover, it means that you'll have to put the phone in your pocket inverted to minimize cable strain, and there will be lag when you take out the phone as the position sensors determine how the screen should be oriented. IMO having the earphone jack on the bottom is a functionally anencephalic idea. Perhaps Apple will be pushing wireless earphones....

tinkytoo1488
listen! Apple will not change the size of the iphone dock! It makes no sense and will cause massive fragmentation!
Plus it will render all accessories obsolete!!!!
It will NOT happen!!
Repeat after me, apple will NOT change the size of the dock connector!
Steve jobs is turning in his grave by the amount of fools thinking that this is a good idea!!
It will NOT happen!!!!!

/thread

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 07:13 AM
So nothing important then? Apps are everything on a smartphone, short of battery life and I've never heard any significant complaints about the iPhone's battery.

jW

I wouldn't say apps are everything, although they are obviously a major part. There's no denying the 3rd party apps on the iPhone are generally better and more polished than their Android counterparts. However, Android is catching up and iPhone apps are only slightly better. Given the added APIs the Android developers have access to, a greater variety and of apps with more functionality can be written. Hopefully it may only be a matter of time before Android apps are comparable in terms of quality.

tiptopp
Jul 23, 2012, 07:13 AM
as if the Reuters all of a sudden has some secret stash of indisputable inside information on Apple products. No offence to anyone but ... like hell that's a final iPhone case.

Apple has always has the choice of anodising the antenna and yet they didn't. Did you ever wonder why? And if so why would you think that those reasons don't hold true anymore? This is an entirely engineering/physics driven decision and not an aesthetic one.

2nd, why do you think that every iPhone since the very first uses a wire mesh cover of the speaker/mic? Might that not have something to do with the performance too? Apple has had the ability to drill holes like the ones shown here for a very long time now. Yet those would create a mediocre performance of the components underneath.

And last but not least, in what world would Jonny sign off on a design that uses to different size covers for the speaker and mic?

So yeah thanks, Reuters, maybe you are right about the smaller connector but it is highly unlikely that the jack is moving to the bottom and there is no way in hell that that photo is an actual production ready iPhone design. And that's exactly why I spend my money on Apple products!

The picture is from an article that appeared (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/07/iphone-5-back-cover-hands-on-video/)on MR on 6th June - it's not from Reuters. They don't picture an iPhone in their story at all. Their story isn't based on a picture. It's based on "two sources familiar with the matter".

I love these discussions - people get so heated and certain that they know what's best, what's coming, what's not. I take it that all of the people who keep saying "trust me, Apple would never do [insert change to product here]" will be moving from Apple or sticking with iP4/s if Apple do make that change?

There are few things that Apple have done without reason. Moving the headphone socket might be the first one that I can think of, or they might just have a reason for this too. I suspect that they do. And if they don't, I don't care. I'll make my decision based on the announcement of the new phone, and will order one, or not, based on facts...

Tiptopp

Rodimus Prime
Jul 23, 2012, 07:14 AM
But in 2012/2013 should be be plugging physical wires into holes in the 1st place?

We can charge and send data without wires now.
Even if you wanted to keep the charging option then all the phone would need would be 2 tiny contacts and nothing else (like a cordless home phone has for charging)

Just going to point out data transfer speeds over wireless are crap compared to being plugged into your computer.
Also for development purposes you have to be able to hardware into your computer. There is a crap load of data that a developer needs/wants that having the hardware connection is the only way to do it.

For first start up and devs you want/have to have the USB connection to the computer.

batchtaster
Jul 23, 2012, 07:15 AM
I wouldn't say apps are everything, although they are obviously a major part.

Explain what you can do on your phone without opening any apps.

Volume goes up, volume goes down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TboDmLD0ZU)...

ericrwalker
Jul 23, 2012, 07:16 AM

You sound like you have a lot of accessories. Don't worry they will continue to work with all your current iPod and iPhone products, they won't be obsolete.

Hopefully scosche will make something for the docks to go from classic to the new nano style.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 23, 2012, 07:17 AM
Well looking at the 30 pin break down the 11 pins that I expect Apple is tossing out are going to be the 11 pin doing with the display output. None of the others make sense nor can they really be removed.

fishmoose
Jul 23, 2012, 07:20 AM
well, this sucks for my clock radio, it has two docks (one for my iPad and the other for my iphone) I wonder what we will lose with the new dock connector having only 19 pins instead of 30?

I've seen speculation we'll only lose FireWire compatibility.

sulpfiction
Jul 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
but will they?

Of course they will. Are u kidding?

juanmanas

Of course, we know how consistent Android is in terms of hardware!!!!

Wiesenlooser
I cant believe that the lower part has 5 rows of holes in it on the one side and 8 rows on the other side of the new dock connector due to the headphone jack.

And this from a company who put a screw on either side of the plastic macbooks although one of them was unnecessary. They did it just for the symmetry.

Zunjine
Jul 23, 2012, 07:22 AM
It's a shame Android started out where it did. The top end devices that are now running ICS or JB are far superior to the iPhone, but past deficiencies in Android have caused this point of view.

Can we stop with this sort of comment, please?

You have an opinion. Others hold different opinions. People don't need you to tell them what they should think.

The thing is that different people value different things differently. The features that make Android "far superior" to you may mean nothing at all to others while the qualities that they value in iOS devices might be insignificant to you. No one has the right to tell anyone else that their preferences are wrong.

sulpfiction
Jul 23, 2012, 07:23 AM

There will be an adapter that will easily work with all of your accessories. You better believe apple spent a lot of time and development to ensure the millions & millions of accessories out there can be converted over seamlessly...for $29.99 ;)

Reason077
Jul 23, 2012, 07:23 AM
I cant believe that the lower part has 5 rows of holes in it on the one side and 8 rows on the other side of the new dock connector due to the headphone jack.

So how would you have done it? Add a 2nd headphone jack hole just for symmetry?

Wiesenlooser
Jul 23, 2012, 07:24 AM
So how would you have done it? Add a 2nd headphone jack hole just for symmetry?

Make it 5 rows on either side.

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 07:26 AM
Explain what you can do on your phone without opening any apps.

Volume goes up, volume goes down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TboDmLD0ZU)...

If you read on, you'll see that I say 3rd party apps. So, without opening any 3rd party apps on my phone I can make calls, take pics, send emails and SMSs etc.

It's like trying to have a conversation with people who've been lobotomised, which I guess is essentially what Apple have done to you.

I can see the view from all angles, I can see where the iPhone is better and where the Android phone is better. When I buy a phone, my aim is to buy the best phone available (within monetary constraints), irrespective of who makes it.

That used to be the iPhone, I've owned 3, but now it's Android. A lot of Apple fanboys just want a status symbol and will buy Apple regardless of whether there are other better phones on the market.

Yes, for some people the iPhone is the best phone for them, especially if it makes them feel all fuzzy because they have an Apple product. If they stopped believing the hype and took a while to fully assess the competition they would see that they've been left far behind. However, I guess there's a reason people buy designer sun glasses and $5000 watches, and it certainly isn't because they are better than the competition.

Reason077
Jul 23, 2012, 07:26 AM
Make it 5 rows on either side.

Still wouldn't look symmetrical with the headphone socket there.

Zunjine
Jul 23, 2012, 07:30 AM
If you read on, you'll see that I say 3rd party apps. So, without opening any 3rd party apps on my phone I can make calls, take pics, send emails and SMSs etc.

It's like trying to have a conversation with people who've been lobotomised, which I guess is essentially what Apple have done to you.

I can see the view from all angles, I can see where the iPhone is better and where the Android phone is better. When I buy a phone, my aim is to buy the best phone available (within monetary constraints), irrespective of who makes it.

That used to be the iPhone, I've owned 3, but now it's Android. A lot of Apple fanboys just want a status symbol and will buy Apple regardless of whether there are other better phones on the market.

Yes, for some people the iPhone is the best phone for them, especially if it makes them feel all fuzzy because they have an Apple product. If they stopped believing the hype and took a while to fully assess the competition they would see that they've been left far behind. However, I guess there's a reason people buy designer sun glasses and $5000 watches, and it certainly isn't because they are better than the competition.

All the arrogant tripe here really undermines your self proclaimed objectivity.

According to you the only reasons anyone would choose an iPhone over an Android handset is either blind devotion, vanity or ignorance. Your attitude, quite frankly, stinks.

Sedrick
Jul 23, 2012, 07:30 AM
"The new iPhone looks stupid with a taller screen... 16x9 sucks"

**runs off to Android... where every phone has a 16x9 screen...

They generally only go 16:9 when the screen is large enough for it to make sense. You won't find many (if any) high-end 4" 16:9 phones out there. As usual, Apple is bringing up the rear on screen size, even as they finally try to jump on the larger screen bandwagon.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
listen! Apple will not change the size of the iphone dock! It makes no sense and will cause massive fragmentation!
Plus it will render all accessories obsolete!!!!
It will NOT happen!!
Repeat after me, apple will NOT change the size of the dock connector!
Steve jobs is turning in his grave by the amount of fools thinking that this is a good idea!!
It will NOT happen!!!!!

/thread

I'd agree with you except way too many reputable media sources are reporting the dock connector will be smaller. Apple is getting this out early so everyone has time to absorb & it's not a shocker when they announced and it's not the headline.

As for it not making sense, I think the correct phrasing would be it doesn't make sense to you. Obviously it does make sense to Apple. Apple isn't out to intentionally p.o. customers because that costs it time and money, but there comes a time in the life of every CE connector ever made where it reaches the end of its useful tech life.

Also, Jobs passed away less than a year ago. He was in on the design of the next iPhone and the smaller connector. It's takes more than a year to design and test a new connector.

solarguy17
Jul 23, 2012, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=Smeaton1724;15303414]
iPad 3, all features of ios 6, old dock
/QUOTE]

Well we know there will be new iPhone 5, iPad Mini, and iPad 4 features that won't be available to the 4S or iPad 3. So iPhone 4s and iPad 3 have limited OS also.

But that's the way it always is.

I for one and really hoping this new connector is still MagSafe or something to really justify the change. But either way I'm still going to buy it. The iPhone 5 will be the best phone available. Just like the 4s was and the 4. And so on.

Rogifan
Jul 23, 2012, 07:42 AM
How does changing the dock connector render all accessories obsolete? Is everyone on the planet who owns an iPhone going to upgrade to the new phone? Is Apple going to stop selling the iPhone 4/4s (or even 3GS in some countries) once the new phone comes out? Hardly. Get a grip people. IF Apple is changing the dock connector (and all we have a rumors at this point) there's a reason for it and it's not because Jony Ive and Bob Mansfield got together one day and said 'let's find a way to screw over all our customers and force them to purchase new accessories'. :rolleyes:

Marx55
Jul 23, 2012, 07:43 AM
Bring Thunderbolt. A port to rule them all!!!

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 07:45 AM
According to you the only reasons anyone would choose an iPhone over an Android handset is either blind devotion, vanity or ignorance. Your attitude, quite frankly, stinks.

I'm sad to say I honestly think ignorance and blind devotion do account for a lot of iPhone sales.

Quotes like this in this very thread do no help matters.

"well i hope n pray it to be a magsafe connector, would be awesome, i m not buying anything else other than this phone"

"But either way I'm still going to buy it. The iPhone 5 will be the best phone available"

No concrete specs on the iPhone 5, but already sure they will buy it. I may be a lesser sub human with my Android, but I certainly wouldn't commit to buying the next one until I knew a lot more about it.

Thunderhawks
Jul 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
I'd agree with you except way too many reputable media sources are reporting the dock connector will be smaller. Apple is getting this out early so everyone has time to absorb & it's not a shocker when they announced and it's not the headline.

As for it not making sense, I think the correct phrasing would be it doesn't make sense to you. Obviously it does make sense to Apple. Apple isn't out to intentionally p.o. customers because that costs it time and money, but there comes a time in the life of every CE connector ever made where it reaches the end of its useful tech life.

Also, Jobs passed away less than a year ago. He was in on the design of the next iPhone and the smaller connector. It's takes more than a year to design and test a new connector.

I have always found that 30 pin dongle too big and strange. For starters it had to be inserted only one way to fit correctly.
Then the cable always broke at the connection from the constant handling, plus it had no option to angle it.
The last iphone cable had the plastic sheath coming out of the plug extended, so Apple knew about this problem.

A mini USB makes the most sense, because they have to submit it for Europe anyway.

People whining about 9 year old connectors will just have to learn that the industry moves on to new stuff.

Hope they still have their floppy drives:-)

Rogifan
Jul 23, 2012, 07:51 AM

And this from a company who put a screw on either side of the plastic macbooks although one of them was unnecessary. They did it just for the symmetry.

I'm reserving judgement until Apple releases it. Right now all we have are mockups based on unfinished cases (that may or may not be legit). I suspect the phone will look quite a bit different once we see the finished product. Though I'm sure there will still be plenty who won't like it. I remember how many people hated the unibody MacBooks when they came out, and now they're the standard that many PC OEM's are taking their design cues from.

krashx7
Jul 23, 2012, 07:54 AM
Everytime this thread pops there are always missinformed people preaching about how micro usb cannot do video/audio/tv etc. You people have no clue as to what your talking about. It CAN in fact do all of those things.

Zunjine
Jul 23, 2012, 08:05 AM
I'm sad to say I honestly think ignorance and blind devotion do account for a lot of iPhone sales.

Quotes like this in this very thread do no help matters.

"well i hope n pray it to be a magsafe connector, would be awesome, i m not buying anything else other than this phone"

"But either way I'm still going to buy it. The iPhone 5 will be the best phone available"

No concrete specs on the iPhone 5, but already sure they will buy it. I may be a lesser sub human with my Android, but I certainly wouldn't commit to buying the next one until I knew a lot more about it.

In 2011 over 72,000,000 iPhones were purchased around the world but you feel comfortable making sweeping statements about those 72 million customers based on a minuscule sample from within an Apple fan forum which will be disproportionately filled with people who have a high degree of brand loyalty.

You're either staggeringly ignorant or you're staggeringly biased. Which one is it?

quasinormal
Jul 23, 2012, 08:06 AM
My greatest hope from this is that Apple opens up the digital output technology via the ipod dock, it currently licences to companies like Wadia, Onkyo, etc, so a usb DAC can be connected to the new connection like the ipad and that the classic is updated with this new port.

jmpnop
Jul 23, 2012, 08:06 AM
"Reuters Confirms a Smaller Dock Connector and Relocated Headphone Jack on Next iPhone"

:eek::rolleyes:

Gix1k
Jul 23, 2012, 08:07 AM
This renders my car and my dock useless..What a dumbazz move. Headphone on the bottom...WHY? Who wants their phone upside down all the time.

If all of this and if it still looks like the 4S just longer, I'm getting the S3. F this! :mad:

Puevlo
Jul 23, 2012, 08:07 AM
Will this be the first iPhone to flop? Yes.

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 08:09 AM
In 2011 over 72,000,000 iPhones were purchased around the world but you feel comfortable making sweeping statements about those 72 million customers based on a minuscule sample from within an Apple fan forum which will be disproportionately filled with people who have a high degree of brand loyalty.

You're either staggeringly ignorant or you're staggeringly biased. Which one is it?

Well, until Nov 2011, the iPhone was the best mass market phone available in the world, so I'm not surprised it sold well at all. What I will be saddened by are the same figures they'll undoubtedly pull this year.

johncrab
Jul 23, 2012, 08:10 AM
"Seems to confirm" and "Confirms (with evidence)" are two very different things. This would be a mistake for Apple and would slow the upgrade path as people like me would end up resenting having to trash some very expensive accessories or wait and hope manufacturers came out with adaptors. A pretty stupid move, much like the IBM "Microchannel" bus which was also a disaster in spite of the money IBM spent trying to shove it down the throats of businesses.

LoraoTX
Jul 23, 2012, 08:13 AM

Its funny how you guys pay for a $500+ phone and complain about a $30 adapter.. :rolleyes:

Zunjine
Well, until Nov 2011, the iPhone was the best mass market phone available in the world, so I'm not surprised it sold well at all. What I will be saddened by are the same figures they'll undoubtedly pull this year.

Hardly. They're already close to that number after two quarters. Suspect they'll come close to doubling those numbers.

So it's your view that tens of millions of people are making a choice to buy an iPhone out of blind devotion to the Apple brand and ignorance of their choices?

Do you not see how deeply arrogant you're being? You can see the truth and all those who think differently to you are just idiots? Is this how you talk to people face to face or do you find that people just don't like to spend time with you in real life?

Jynto

I'm an Android user, and I lol'd. :D

Lennholm
Jul 23, 2012, 08:14 AM
It isn't a question of the connector, its the throughput of the bus. As long as the iPhone 5, iPod Touch (5G) and iPad 4 can take advantage of USB 3 (or better still, Thunderbolt), accessory makers will get onboard.

Not quite, the dock connector provides stuff like analog audio and discrete video channels, USB doesn't and won't. This means accessories that use audio and/or video only can be relatively simple and cheap because they don't have to have a USB controller.
It could be that the reason they move the HP jack to the bottom is to replace the dock connector with a standard micro-USB connector and move the discrete channels to the HP jack. Placing the HP jack att the bottom keeps them in one place and enables one unified connector, although I can't see Apple making such a asymmetrical multi-pronged connector.

All you guys are missing the boat here. A smaller dock connector was an inevitability. The bad part is the report (if true) that the headphone jack will be on the bottom.

I am one of many iPhone users who often cannot make it through a day on one charge, hence I use a Mophie Juice Pack--in the past I've used other "wraparound" external batteries as well. Put that headphone jack on the bottom, and (thanks, Tim!) you'll have to go through the extra step of sliding that spiffy new iPhone out of your Mophie whenever you want to listen to music or have a better or slightly more private call.

Or (better still!) there'll be yet another cottage industry of accessories. This time you'll have to buy both an external battery and a headphone plug extender.

Does this remind anyone of the stupid, totally unnecessary recessed headphone jack on the original iPhone?

Bad move, Apple...

But if the dock connector is redesigned your existing Mophie Juice Pack wont fit anyway, it would have to be redesigned as well and if the HP jack is there it could possibly have a connector bridge built in.

johncrab
Jul 23, 2012, 08:16 AM
Another point which would make this a truly stupid move by Apple is their effort to integrate iPhones into cars. A lot of manufacturers are already on board. This would drop a lot of problems on them and their dealers as BMW owners realize their new iPhones no longer work with their cars and demand that the car's interface be changed. So who pays for that upgrade? The consumer? Buy a new iPhone and end up with a four figure bill in order to connect it the same as the last model? This could simply kill iPhone sales. Let's see if Schiller pulls this much of a bonehead move.

Personally I think Apple is feeding these rumors in order to get feedback and so far it has all been negative. They do watch these forums to see what customers are thinking. I believe this is really just a test to see how committed the market is to the existing connector.

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 23, 2012, 08:16 AM
I just hope it's like the magsafe connectors hwere it doesn't matter which direction it's plugged into.

Zaft
Jul 23, 2012, 08:17 AM

You didnt seriously think apple would keep the SAME connectoer forever did you?

dilbert99
Jul 23, 2012, 08:19 AM
How does changing the dock connector render all accessories obsolete? ... :rolleyes:

What they mean is that when they upgrade from an earlier iPhone to a later one, their old dock accessories then become obsolete.

They will after all upgrade their phone many times over time.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 23, 2012, 08:21 AM
Everytime this thread pops there are always missinformed people preaching about how micro usb cannot do video/audio/tv etc. You people have no clue as to what your talking about. It CAN in fact do all of those things.

no USB can not do it directly. IT would require said device to be able to do USB host and read that infomation. It is not like an anolog output currently on 30 pin or a standard output.

Jynto
Jul 23, 2012, 08:25 AM
I am almost certain that the new dock connector will be compatible with Thunderbolt. Whether it is compatible with micro-USB is another question. I'd like to believe that it will be. But if it is, it probably won't be able to get the full speed of USB 3. The device end of USB 3 is slightly larger, like this:

http://microusb3.com/img/usb-3-spec-cables-adaptor.jpg

So if you want faster syncing, you'll probably have to pay $50 for a Thunderbolt cable. Otherwise just use the USB option.

rendevouspoo
Jul 23, 2012, 08:25 AM

Almost every single android phones have universal inputs and outputs. Hell, I am still able to use my 5 year old blackberry charger on my Razr.

tbrinkma
Jul 23, 2012, 08:26 AM
Isn't that exactly what MHL USB is for? Not that Apple will adopt that either.

Which version? 5-pin or 11-pin? 5-pin can be done using a USB connector (but not by using the USB protocols), 11-pin (the only one used on a smart phone to date) can't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-Definition_Link#Connectors

northernbaldy
Jul 23, 2012, 08:30 AM
This is outrageous!
How dare they! What will I do with all my old scart cables?
I bet the new phone won't play vinyl either!
Shocking!

Tongue firmly in cheek, however, I will need a slack handful of adapters

Sjhonny
Jul 23, 2012, 08:30 AM

1. Micro-USB is USB and only USB. So no (direct) Video or Sound output.
2. Apple sells a converter for Micro-USB adapters to 'comply' with the EU's request. It's not mandatory.
3. Probably the only reason why Apple includes a HDMI port in the MBPr is because the HDMI standard committee forces companies to add a physical HDMI port to comply with the 1.4 standard (4k video output). Thunderbolt would be more then capable of supporting this standard with the use of an adapter, but this ain't allowed.
4. Apple waited this long with adding support for USB 3 because before Ivy Bridge, you had to add an extra chip on the MoBo if you wanted to support USB 3. Now it's included in the chipset.

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
Hardly. They're already close to that number after two quarters. Suspect they'll come close to doubling those numbers.

So it's your view that tens of millions of people are making a choice to buy an iPhone out of blind devotion to the Apple brand and ignorance of their choices?

Do you not see how deeply arrogant you're being? You can see the truth and all those who think differently to you are just idiots? Is this how you talk to people face to face or do you find that people just don't like to spend time with you in real life?

I don't think I'm over estimating the ignorance of people at all, and I think you're comments are bordering on offensive, please stick to the subject matter, petty derogatory comments will only undermine your argument.

When I speak to friends of mine (yes shock horror I do have some friends) with an iPhone and they see my phone, 8 times out of 10 they have no idea what it is, even when I tell them the name and the operating system it runs. When I show them the phone and what it can do, most of them say they'll consider switching when the time comes. So yes, I would say many people are ignorant of the capabilities of other phones.

Now here's the key point, the reason they are ignorant isn't necessarily their fault. The Google marketing machine is poor at best, so the information just isn't out there for the average person that has little time to devote to their next smart phone purchase. Keeping abreast of the latest and greatest phone is not top of everyone's list.

When Apple brought out the first iPhone is was truly revolutionary and changed the market forever. I remember the first time I used it, it blew me away. Now, imagine someone that got an iPhone during this time period or saw someone else who had. It's streaks ahead of anything else at the time. But like most people they're not really interested in the goings on in the smart phone market as time passes, their phone works well and that's all they care about. Why not just get the next iPhone when it comes out. So yes, I do think most iPhone buyers are ignorant to the competition, why else would anyone now buy an iPhone, but I certainly understand the reasons for their ignorance.

Jibbajabba
Jul 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
Whats all that moaning about the connector .. Apple uses the same for almost 10 years ... Nokia changed theirs with almost every damn phone .. I got at least three different ones here in the drawer ..

unplugme71
Jul 23, 2012, 08:33 AM
If the pins are different, the iPhone better include an adaptor free of charge for at least this model phone. I'd hate like hell to spend $29 or $39 on some cable to make it work in my car or some home devices.

Also, this should be USB 3.0 so that data transfers happen quicker.

spb3
Jul 23, 2012, 08:34 AM
please, make it micro-usb

marcusj0015
Jul 23, 2012, 08:36 AM
I'm slow today, so please humor me, but how the **** can they "confirm" anything, based of leaks? What more than us do they know? do they have an actual iPhone 5, from Apple in their hands?

tbrinkma
Jul 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
I am going to point out that he is right on about it. The new dock connector makes all your connection devices useless and obsolete in the fact that you can not just plug your iPhone into them any more.
Since that major cost of replacement of everything is now no longer a factor as no matter what you do they would have to be replaced it causes more people to jump ship as that is no longer an increased cost in eating.

What honestly annoys me about them changing the dock connector is they still refuse to put a micro USB port on the phone as well. If they are going to change it they might as well go with the standard everyone else uses on their phone or add it in as another port on the side to use.

Nobody else's phone uses that micro USB connection to provide:
Analog video
Analog audio
A simple serial data connection
or any of the other features that the Dock provides.

There's a reason that there are so few accessories available for Android devices.

Smigit
Jul 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
Headphone on the bottom...WHY? Who wants their phone upside down all the time....Or you could just have the cable dangle from underneath like iPod owners have done for years...

CausticPuppy
Jul 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
please, make it micro-usb

And lose the capability for audio/video output?

VenusianSky
Jul 23, 2012, 08:41 AM
If the pins are different, the iPhone better include an adaptor free of charge for at least this model phone. I'd hate like hell to spend $29 or $39 on some cable to make it work in my car or some home devices.

Also, this should be USB 3.0 so that data transfers happen quicker.

I'd be surprised if it isn't USB 3.0.

It's funny they made the huge 30-pin connector and only ever used 4 pins since USB 2.0 only has 4 pins. USB 3.0 uses 5 pins and is much, much faster, so maybe that is why they decide to shrink the connector down. When they designed the original connector, maybe they figured it was better to add many more spots for pins, expecting faster connections will require many more pins, in the future. Guess they were wrong.

CausticPuppy
Jul 23, 2012, 08:43 AM
This renders my car and my dock useless..What a dumbazz move. Headphone on the bottom...WHY? Who wants their phone upside down all the time.

If all of this and if it still looks like the 4S just longer, I'm getting the S3. F this! :mad:

It makes sense... when your phone is upside down in your pocket, you don't have to flip it over to read it when you pull it out.

mdriftmeyer
Jul 23, 2012, 08:47 AM

Most likely a simple adaptor to adjust for the pin configurations will be available.

Ping Guo

oliversl
But the speakers at not symmetrically aligned!

machpost
Jul 23, 2012, 08:49 AM
I am also confirming this. So there you have it.

Reason077
Jul 23, 2012, 08:50 AM
I am almost certain that the new dock connector will be compatible with Thunderbolt.

I don't think so. To put thunderbolt in a device like the iPhone (let alone the iPod nano etc) would be far too expensive and have few advantages. USB 3.0, yes, but not Thunderbolt.

VenusianSky
Jul 23, 2012, 08:50 AM
But the speakers at not symmetrically aligned!

They are adding a speaker for stereo sound? AWESOME!

jk BTW

Zunjine
Jul 23, 2012, 08:51 AM
I don't think I'm over estimating the ignorance of people at all, and I think you're comments are bordering on offensive, please stick to the subject matter, petty derogatory comments will only undermine your argument.

When I speak to friends of mine (yes shock horror I do have some friends) with an iPhone and they see my phone, 8 times out of 10 they have no idea what it is, even when I tell them the name and the operating system it runs. When I show them the phone and what it can do, most of them say they'll consider switching when the time comes. So yes, I would say many people are ignorant of the capabilities of other phones.

Now here's the key point, the reason they are ignorant isn't necessarily their fault. The Google marketing machine is poor at best, so the information just isn't out there for the average person that has little time to devote to their next smart phone purchase. Keeping abreast of the latest and greatest phone is not top of everyone's list.

When Apple brought out the first iPhone is was truly revolutionary and changed the market forever. I remember the first time I used it, it blew me away. Now, imagine someone that got an iPhone during this time period or saw someone else who had. It's streaks ahead of anything else at the time. But like most people they're not really interested in the goings on in the smart phone market as time passes, their phone works well and that's all they care about. Why not just get the next iPhone when it comes out. So yes, I do think most iPhone buyers are ignorant to the competition, why else would anyone now buy an iPhone, but I certainly understand the reasons for their ignorance.

I can only assume that when you talk to your friends you aren't as arrogant as you come across here because, believe me, if I had your attitude I wouldn't have any friends - and that would serve me right.

The argument for ignorance could equally be used against the millions buying Android handsets since the average consumer isn't as informed as people like us who frequent tech forums. In fact, the the usage stats tend to suggest that iPhone buyers are more likely to be towards the higher end user segment and far more likely to buy apps, use Wifi and surf the web on their iPhones than Android users are with their handsets. But the fact that most consumers know less about tech than you or I does not in the slightest make their choices any less valid whether those choices are iPhones, Android powered handsets, Blackberries or Windows Phones.

For all your wordiness you don't seem to be able to grasp that other people see more value in some things than you do and less in others. There are lots of perfectly good reasons to buy an iPhone rather than any other handset. Some may like the excellent customer service that you get from Apple and through iTunes. Some people might prefer the more straightforward UI. Some people will have plenty of apps and enjoy the ecosystem that the iPhone plugs into while others may like the way software upgrades are handled with the iPhone in preference to the mess that is Android updates. Some people may love the elegant design and the wider array of accessories that are iPhone compatible. Some might even like Siri! You don't have to agree with these preferences but that's the beauty, you don't have to!

But you only see the world through your eyes and from your perspective. If an option is better to YOU then it MUST be better for EVERYONE and there's no way that someone as well informed and rational as you could possibly come to a different but equally valid position based on his own personal needs.

This is arrogance and ignorance. If you find it offensive to have someone point out your bad attitude then that's your own problem. I think, perhaps, rather than blaming me for holding up a mirror you might try to change the reflection.

Reason077
Jul 23, 2012, 08:52 AM
It's funny they made the huge 30-pin connector and only ever used 4 pins since USB 2.0 only has 4 pins.

Uhh, you know the dock connector carries other signals besides USB, right? Like Audio, HDMI, etc.

tbrinkma
Jul 23, 2012, 08:53 AM
I'd be surprised if it isn't USB 3.0.

It's funny they made the huge 30-pin connector and only ever used 4 pins since USB 2.0 only has 4 pins. USB 3.0 uses 5 pins and is much, much faster, so maybe that is why they decide to shrink the connector down. When they designed the original connector, maybe they figured it was better to add many more spots for pins, expecting faster connections will require many more pins, in the future. Guess they were wrong.

Wait. You actually think that only 4 pins of the Dock connector were used? :eek:

4 pins of the dock connector were used *for USB*. There are also pins to provide a simple serial interface, analog audio (line-out), analog video (component and composite, IIRC), and several other functions. Up until shortly before the iPhone, some of the Dock pins were reserved for firewire data/power as well.

The Dock is most certainly *not* just USB or something that can be replaced with *just* USB. If the analysis we've seen here of the 19 pins in the rumored new dock connector is true, then we'll see entirely passive Old-Dock to New-Dock adaptors released very shortly after the release of the new connector.

VenusianSky
Jul 23, 2012, 08:53 AM
Uhh, you know the dock connector carries other signals besides USB, right? Like Audio, HDMI, etc.

Uhh, you know those things don't require 30-pins either right? My point is that they never needed 30 pins and maybe that is why they are shrinking it down, if they in fact are.

Wait. You actually think that only 4 pins of the Dock connector were used? :eek:

4 pins of the dock connector were used *for USB*. There are also pins to provide a simple serial interface, analog audio (line-out), analog video (component and composite, IIRC), and several other functions. Up until shortly before the iPhone, some of the Dock pins were reserved for firewire data/power as well.

The Dock is most certainly *not* just USB or something that can be replaced with *just* USB. If the analysis we've seen here of the 19 pins in the rumored new dock connector is true, then we'll see entirely passive Old-Dock to New-Dock adaptors released very shortly after the release of the new connector.

A wire is a wire. There aren't special wires for USB, HDMI, audio, power etc. It all is just about the connector on the end and you cannot plug two separate cables into one dock connector at the same time.

Sorry, I forgot about HDMI cables which do require more pins, but they do not require 30.

matthewdlyons
Jul 23, 2012, 08:54 AM
The headphone jack on the bottom is not that big of a deal, to me. It actually makes sense from an ergonomic standpoint. When you have your phone out, and you're listening to music, heaving the jack on the bottom puts it closer to you. Meaning you, now, won't have the cord draping over the phone, or along the side. It also make sense when it comes to putting it in your pocket for the same reasons.

As for the change in the pin connector, I guess that we should have seen it coming. The size of the MagSafe connector on MacBooks has changed to a smaller size. I am actually a little incredulous that the reduction of the port is solely because of the headphone jack. I suspect that all of the companies that produce accessories will have a quick fix that will, mostly, lay flat and completely cover the previous male pin connector. It will be a bit unsightly, though, for other equipment with just a cable and a male connector.

Change is inevitable.

SteveJobs2.0
Jul 23, 2012, 08:55 AM
Once again, nobody is mentioning the suspect durability of the new connector. Current connector is already fragile and it feels that when my phone/ipod are on the speaker dock that a simple nudge might break the connector. This new connector has the potential to be even more fragile. :/

masteroflondon
Jul 23, 2012, 08:59 AM

Which USB 'standard' would that be? A, B, mini, micro. Is that the whole list? I think there's another. Oh yes, 2 and 3. Will the current choice remain standard for 9 years? I doubt it. USB already has more variations than Apple has. Over time, smaller connectors are needed. So the great USB standard has already done what some here complain Apple might do. More than once.

For power, none of it matters (on either platform), you only need to change the cable. For accessories, docks etc it's an inconvenience but changing for factors cause this anyway. And Apple only vary their form over time, Android had a billion all at once. Will your Galaxy S4 (running pork chop ice lolly) fit your S3 dock. Maybe. But isn't the wonder of Android that you can change brands at will, losing any chance of dock compatibility?

onlnagent
Jul 23, 2012, 09:04 AM

This might be a moot point. If you have a cable plugged isn't the on-board mic disabled forcing you to use the mic built into the headphones?

Bezetos
Jul 23, 2012, 09:06 AM
Why can't they just use micro-usb... It's all about maximising profits, isn't it.

skeep5
Jul 23, 2012, 09:06 AM
none of this is happening

ThunderSkunk
Jul 23, 2012, 09:08 AM
Once again, nobody is mentioning the suspect durability of the new connector.

I'll bet it's because most people who are rabid enough fans to post on iPhone threads only keep a phone for a year tops.

VenusianSky
Jul 23, 2012, 09:10 AM
Why can't they just use micro-usb... It's all about maximising profits, isn't it.

They could, but they would have to drop support for HDMI cables, or also put an HDMI connector on it. HDMI uses more pins than USB (which I forgot about in a previous post :o ) Well, HDMI is wired for high bandwidth (19 pins), but if the iPhone actually needs that much is the question. I'm not sure how many connectors are needed to push 1080i video and audio through. Maybe only 5 or 6?

charliecc
Jul 23, 2012, 09:10 AM
I assume from this you'll be buying the next iPhone.

morespce54
Jul 23, 2012, 09:15 AM

I must say I'm not a fan of changes for the sake of changes and that I don't really know why they would bother changing the dock connector beside to help 3rd party to make even more money, but when they say "to make room for the headphone at the bottom", I'm puzzled...

I always though that headphones at the top was a major point compare to the iPod...

Bezetos
Jul 23, 2012, 09:19 AM
I always though that headphones at the top was a major point compare to the iPod...

I don't understand this point of view. It has been proven numerous times that headphones at the bottom is a more ergonomic and comfortable solution. Describing headphones at the top as an advantage baffles me.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 23, 2012, 09:20 AM
I must say I'm not a fan of changes for the sake of changes and that I don't really know why they would bother changing the dock connector beside to help 3rd party to make even more money....

Jumping to conclusions a bit, no? If not please point to a legitimate news story stating definitively that Apple is pushing the smaller dock connector just for the heck of it and/or to help partners make easy money, and not to aid in better iDevice design or because functionality Apple wants to add can't be handled by the current connector.

StealthGhost
Jul 23, 2012, 09:22 AM

Which fragmentation is that exactly?

You must mean hardware! Well we're talking about dock connectors and 99.99% of Android use microUSB so that can't be it. Hardware fragmentation that allows you a choice (eww evil, hiss hiss!) in what size and shape phone/tablet you want and allows you to have the latest and greatest hardware available (but who needs a decent sized screen and 4g/LTE anyways??)

No? Must mean software then! Android is soo fragmented, they mostly run TWO different versions! I'm glad all iPhones run iOS 5. Wait they don't? Crap... Well, the ones that do sure have every feature!! Isn't that right Siri on my iPad 3rd gen? Are you there Siri? Hello? Well, they call it iOS 5 so it can't be fragmented, even if it doesn't give you all the features on every device! I KNOW! I SOLVED IT! We'll just update every Android phone to the latest OS! No new features will be added but we'll just CALL it the latest OS. I'm just glad that it's entirely Android's fault and not the carriers and manufacturer's fault that they don't update their phones. If only there was a way to get that pure Android experience on a ~yearly update cycle (just like the great iOS!), we'd call it Nexus but it only exists in theory obviously.

Bezetos
Jul 23, 2012, 09:24 AM
They could, but they would have to drop support for HDMI cables, or also put an HDMI connector on it. HDMI uses more pins than USB (which I forgot about in a previous post :o ) Well, HDMI is wired for high bandwidth (19 pins), but if the iPhone actually needs that much is the question. I'm not sure how many connectors are needed to push 1080i video and audio through.
You could easily replace the current connector with two standard-compliant ones, micro USB and micro HDMI, and still save space.

wovel
Jul 23, 2012, 09:26 AM

Your comment was funny. How are they far superior? Give us some metrics.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 23, 2012, 09:27 AM
Nobody else's phone uses that micro USB connection to provide:
Analog video
Analog audio
A simple serial data connection
or any of the other features that the Dock provides.

There's a reason that there are so few accessories available for Android devices.

Just going to point out that the 19 pin connector Analog Video is going to be gone. Those 11 pins will get gone.

But reread what I said. They should add the microUSB. It could be in addition to 19 pin.
Or just go micro USB and HDMI. That covers all your bases as well.

wovel
Jul 23, 2012, 09:28 AM

You must mean hardware! Well we're talking about dock connectors and 99.99% of Android use microUSB so that can't be it. Hardware fragmentation that allows you a choice (eww evil, hiss hiss!) in what size and shape phone/tablet you want and allows you to have the latest and greatest hardware available (but who needs a decent sized screen and 4g/LTE anyways??)

No? Must mean software then! Android is soo fragmented, they mostly run TWO different versions! I'm glad all iPhones run iOS 5. Wait they don't? Crap... Well, the ones that do sure have every feature!! Isn't that right Siri on my iPad 3rd gen? Are you there Siri? Hello? Well, they call it iOS 5 so it can't be fragmented, even if it doesn't give you all the features on every device! I KNOW! I SOLVED IT! We'll just update every Android phone to the latest OS! No new features will be added but we'll just CALL it the latest OS. I'm just glad that it's entirely Android's fault and not the carriers and manufacturer's fault that they don't update their phones. If only there was a way to get that pure Android experience on a ~yearly update cycle (just like the great iOS!), we'd call it Nexus but it only exists in theory obviously.

Most of them run two different versions: True! Too bad neither of those versions are ICS or JB.

brownricetofu
Jul 23, 2012, 09:29 AM
Anyone else think the size and shape of this new port looks pretty close to the magsafe 2 connector?

tny
Jul 23, 2012, 09:30 AM
If you think about it, the original iPod dock connector is still in use today. Though iPods and iPhones have gotten smaller, the dock connector has remained the same. It's freakin huge!

No, it's not. The original iPod dock connector was a FireWire port. The Dock Connector came with the iPod 3, and has only been USB only since about the iPod Video or so.

Rogifan
Jul 23, 2012, 09:34 AM
Once again, nobody is mentioning the suspect durability of the new connector. Current connector is already fragile and it feels that when my phone/ipod are on the speaker dock that a simple nudge might break the connector. This new connector has the potential to be even more fragile. :/

Yep, I'm sure that was the thinking at Apple...let's see how we can make a dock connector that's even more fragile. :rolleyes:

----------

What they mean is that when they upgrade from an earlier iPhone to a later one, their old dock accessories then become obsolete.

They will after all upgrade their phone many times over time.Not everyone will upgrade to the new phone right away. And I'm guessing the iPhone 4/4s will still be sold when this new phone comes out. Also, things change. We've had the 30-pin connector for, what, 9 years now? People really expect that to never change just so they don't ever have to update accessories?

slicecom
Jul 23, 2012, 09:35 AM
I don't understand this point of view. It has been proven numerous times that headphones at the bottom is a more ergonomic and comfortable solution. Describing headphones at the top as an advantage baffles me.

Yep. The headphone jack should ALWAYS have been at the bottom. People are complaining about it because it's a change. It makes so much more sense on the bottom as most people put their phone into their pocket upside down anyways. I welcome this change!

entatlrg
Jul 23, 2012, 09:38 AM

Function over form please :rolleyes:

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 09:38 AM

It also has the potential to be less fragile.

Like Schrödinger's cat, we won't know until we actually do the unboxing.:D

tigress666
Jul 23, 2012, 09:39 AM

Exactly. I won't care as long as their is an adapter for the things that it would be hard for me to change out (like the thing i installed in my car radio to connect my radio to my ipod/iphone and be able to control the music through the car radio).

Mad-B-One
Jul 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
In regards to the connection to a computer, no Android isn't fragmented.

Yea, so you people are complaining about that the new dock connector to all the music docks etc. don't work? You know what? You get a USB cable with the iPhone as well (for the PC), but show me where there are docking stations for Android phones that work with more than one (if any) of them. Now, Apple had the Dock Connector always at the same place, the bottom of the device, and that is why it is so largely adopted by 3rd parties. After 9 years, there is a change. Boohoo. So, there will be a new one and that's it. Since the new dock is still on the bottom, all you need is an adapter. I bet most 3rd parties will come with it within 6 months of the launch.

But feel free to jump ships. You simply won't find something where you just stand your phone in and it works like a little radio station on Android phones. First of all, the USB is usually on the side. Then, it is not made for just connect and go. Sure, you can pair everything with BlueTooth - but there is no difference to the iPhone there. Same with Wireless.

My take on this is that even if USB sounds better, as long as it isn't plug-and-go, it defeats the purpose of a music dock like for a night stand.

davjaxn
Jul 23, 2012, 09:41 AM

Cumbersome? I think it makes it less so. When I am in my car and have my iPhone plugged onto the car charger as well as playing music through the stereo via the headphone jack to the aux. in, I have a cable coming out of both ends of the iPhone. Makes it awkward and cumbersome.

Also, the jack on the bottom will make it easier to pull the phone out of my pocket when using the headphones. I alway put my phone in my pocket with the power button side down. So when I pull it out, it's right side up in my hands. If I am using headphones then I have to out it the other way and fumble to turn the phone right side up to use it.

So really, putting the jack on the bottom makes great sense. At least for me.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 23, 2012, 09:41 AM

Not disagreeing with you and in some ways I can see the logic in it. I am just wanting to know if you have any source on that.
I personally am pretty indifferent on the placement of the head phone jack. Now USB cord on the phone I like the sides but for head phone jack top or bottom.

I just want to know if you have any source on it.

jclardy
Jul 23, 2012, 09:45 AM
I am fine with this as long as it is easy to connect.

I despise micro-usb as it always feels like I am breaking the connector when I plug it in.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 23, 2012, 09:50 AM
No, it's not. The original iPod dock connector was a FireWire port. The Dock Connector came with the iPod 3, and has only been USB only since about the iPod Video or so.

I think when the poster was referring to "original iPod dock connector" he literally meant the dock connector, not how the iPod synced. The original iPod didn't have a dock or a dock connector. It shipped with a FireWire 400 cable and a wired remote.

Also USB compatibility was launched with "dock connector" iPod, which was the 3rd gen. The iPod video was 5th gen. If I recall the Mac version shipped with FW and the Win version w/ USB. There was also a combo USB/FW cable. I still have one of those. FW doesn't work anymore, of course, but USB side still does.

SpectatorHere
Jul 23, 2012, 09:53 AM
I appreciate MR posting another confirmation, but I think they do a disservice by not making it clear that the video/stills have nothing to do with the Reuters story.

I don't understand the possible advantage a connector with fewer wires would provide. But, we do know USB 3.0, mini-display port, thunderbolt are all coming on the scene, so it's possible they went for a redesign (seems like they maintain the same connector and still conform to the new specs, but I'm not an EE, so I'm just guessing).

Apple has never been too much into providing compatibility with 3rd party docks. I have a Sony one, an off brand one, and then one that hooks up to my car stereo though USB (for control, not audio). Their ability to control the phone varies tremendously. So, they haven't really ever tried to support this too heavily. Still, it seems like a move that will cause some degree of customer unhappiness, and provide questionable benefit.

Two industry sources and lack of confirmation with Logitech or Apple suggests this may just be based on existing rumors.

Radio
Jul 23, 2012, 09:53 AM
why not go completely wireless?

wireless charge -etc and keep the legacy dock connector for others :eek:

mac.fanatic
Jul 23, 2012, 09:55 AM
This has it's advantages and at the same has it's disadvantages. The advantage is that the headphone jack would be moved to the bottom! I find it to be placed in an awkward place where it is now, but that's just my opinion. But the disadvantage is that if they change the pins, would you be able to charge an older iPhone with the new charger? What about charging the new iPhone with the old charger?

snart
Jul 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
As someone who's been using Android for the past year, I can't wait to jump back into the iOS platform - this will be the phone to do it. New doc connector is fine with me.

matteman50
Jul 23, 2012, 09:59 AM
Yep. The headphone jack should ALWAYS have been at the bottom. People are complaining about it because it's a change. It makes so much more sense on the bottom as most people put their phone into their pocket upside down anyways. I welcome this change!

I was about to write a post angrily blasting the bottom headphone jack. It feels wrong, stupid, everything. But moments before penning my diatribe, I read this post, hesitated and thought for a moment, and reached down into my pocket to see which way my phone was facing. Result: upside-down / head-first, Home button already in contact with the tip of my thumb. You're actually right, doggone it. There are surely some drawbacks to having the headphone port on the bottom, but it's far from a total loss or blunder from the user's perspective. With the port on the bottom and my headphones on, I wouldn't have to turn the phone over when removing or inserting it to/from my pocket.

Bezetos
Jul 23, 2012, 10:01 AM
Not disagreeing with you and in some ways I can see the logic in it. I am just wanting to know if you have any source on that.
I personally am pretty indifferent on the placement of the head phone jack. Now USB cord on the phone I like the sides but for head phone jack top or bottom.

I just want to know if you have any source on it.Yes, let me find an article about it. There were also pictures posted in a different thread on this forum.

I remember that the main point behind that logic was that e.g. when you charge your phone it's better to have both cables coming out from the same side. Also, when you put your phone into your pocket, you usually put it "upside down" (i.e. the home button is at the top) so that when you reach for it you don't have to rotate it.

I'll try to find that article.

----------

why not go completely wireless?

wireless charge -etc and keep the legacy dock connector for others :eek:
There is no standard for wireless HDMI yet.

davjaxn
Jul 23, 2012, 10:03 AM

I walk into a store to buy an iPhone today- all models (3GS, 4, 4S) all have ios 5 installed (amd when iOS 6 is released they will all get the updat at the same time on the same day). And that Siri arguement isn't valid since it is a feature on the phone, not a part of the OS thus not making it neccisary to have or not have it to run the latest version of iOS.

I turn over to the Adroid phones in the same store and am likely to see at least three different versions of the Android OS on all the different phones, most running one-two versions old with no hope of ever being able to update.

This is not to say one phone is "better" that the other. It is a completely personal preference to what kind of phone one chooses to phase and use. I love my iPhone but there are some great features on the Android OS and devices that I would love to have as well. In the long run, for me, I have found since I keep my phone for at least two-three years iOS and the iPhone has served me well keeping me up to date with the latest OS while also providing me easy and stable use. But it is really difficult to make an argument against the fact that Amdroid phones are all over the map with os versions. Snce new android phones are released what seems like every month and so many cooks are in the kitchen with Android phones (carrier, handset maker and Google) many get passed over for updates.

canucksfan88
Jul 23, 2012, 10:05 AM
i bet you apple releases an adaptor to work with the old 30 pin connectors

Cook: "and if you still want to utilize your old 30 pin devices and cables, we have an adaptor for you" ... "priced at only $29.99"

LordVic
Jul 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
The rest of the mobile world has moved away from Proprietary connectors for data transmition and charging. Virtually every Device these days (with some exceptions) uses micro USB.

Why can't apple just conform to an industry standard without the need to define their own every single time?

This has nothing to do with innovation. This is purely a way to create a definate cutt off between new accessories and old accessories, While ensuring your other 3rd party generic USB accessories are also unusable.

I understood when the doc connector came out all those years ago why they did it. the Micro USB standard wasn't quite mainstream and a full USB port was way too big and not usable in the way they wished to build in accessories.

But today there's no excuse for it other than closing off their product line from using thigns not specifically designed for it.

Bad form apple. This is why lots fo people aren't liking you lately and why the competition has been doing so well.

Bezetos
Jul 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
As someone who's been using Android for the past year, I can't wait to jump back into the iOS platform (...)

Really? May I ask what amazing iOS feature is missing in Android?

Rennir
Jul 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hardware fragmentation anyone?

rendevouspoo
Jul 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
Yep, I'm sure that was the thinking at Apple...let's see how we can make a dock connector that's even more fragile. :rolleyes:[COLOR="#808080"]

As long as it looks pretty, I doubt they thought about it that much.

cmichaelb
Jul 23, 2012, 10:12 AM
Trust me on this one there is no aspect ratio change (there has never been one!)
Trust me there will be a standard dock (There has never been anything else)
Trust me the headphone jack will not move (It's never moved)

The iPhone has never had any of these changes yet....but the iPods have so there is a precedent.

The Nano has had several aspect ratio changes. The iPod classic line has also.

The original iPods used firewire to charge and sync, then switched to the dock connector which used usb and firewire. Apple then removed firewire support.

The headphone jack has moved around on the iPod lines also.

Rennir
Jul 23, 2012, 10:12 AM
Its funny how you guys pay for a $500+ phone and complain about a $30 adapter.. :rolleyes:

Yes, god forbid people trying to save money. The difference is that the phone is worth $500 to people while the connector isn't worth $30. Quite simple actually.

Mad-B-One
Jul 23, 2012, 10:15 AM
Looking forward to the new phone....

ryane67
Jul 23, 2012, 10:18 AM
mhl

Thank you, someone with a brain joined the discussion before the micro usb bashing got too bad.

slicecom
Jul 23, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hardware fragmentation anyone?

Yeah, they should have stuck with SCSI connectors.

dwd3885
Jul 23, 2012, 10:19 AM

every android device uses micro usb, so yea, you're wrong there.

slicecom
Jul 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
i bet you apple releases an adaptor to work with the old 30 pin connectors

Cook: "and if you still want to utilize your old 30 pin devices and cables, we have an adaptor for you" ... "priced at only $29.99"

And within days, you can get it from monoprice for $.79. The system works.

psxp
Jul 23, 2012, 10:25 AM

no, not really.. matches the iPod... and when you put phone in pocket, naturally you put it in upside down.

rei101
Jul 23, 2012, 10:26 AM
It seems I will be getting a 4S once discontinued and at a lower price.

The iPhone 5 will be bringing more incompatibilities than solutions, and I still have a Black Berry that so far its ok- but I do not need much from an iPhone any way.

andyjam
Jul 23, 2012, 10:26 AM
And last but not least, in what world would Jonny sign off on a design that uses to different size covers for the speaker and mic? !

Perhaps in the same world where he signs off on a laptop with visible vents down the side?

AppleInLVX
Jul 23, 2012, 10:27 AM
You know, I never cared either way before now about the connector, since I know they pretty well have to provide an adapter for my existing connector thingees. But this talk of a possible MagSafe connector + H/P jack at the bottom is actually exciting. If Apple actually creates an awesome dock that doesn't suck as a result it'll be way worth it. For me, I always preferred having the H/P jack at the bottom such as it is on the iPod Touch. The wire then doesn't fall off the top, and I always seem to be holding it right if I take it out of my pocket. If these changes happen, that's another incentive for me to upgrade even though my 4S is less than a year old.

adder7712
Jul 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
No prrocessor leaks?

Mike Oxard
Jul 23, 2012, 10:29 AM
I reckon they'll remove some of the audio out from the dock connector and start including the headphone socket as part of the dock, possibly with optical audio out from the headphone jack. Well, maybe :o

Mad-B-One
Jul 23, 2012, 10:30 AM

Boy, how much I wanted SCSI160 back then! Glad I never spent the money on it though. It is astonishing how fast the technology made it basically obsolete. :eek:

jlnr
Jul 23, 2012, 10:30 AM

It is easy to see why SCSI is a bad idea for the iPhone 5. But what is wrong with the current adapter? I hope Apple comes out with triangle USB ports on the next model, so I can blame all naysayers for not embracing change and being too cheap for adapters.

I wouldn't complain if it was actually a step forward, like moving to micro-USB 3 or ThunderBolt or anything else that is standardized.

CaryMacGuy
Jul 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
Do you think it is solely a size enhancement or do you think this new dock connector will provide additional features (such as faster data speeds)