Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
... kind of!

I need help, please!

I was trying to do a clean install of ML on my MacBook 5,1 (late 2008) and when I boot it up from an external HDD it goes straight to the part where it tries to install the OS X (that big window with the big X and the progress bar on the bottom).

It stays there for a few seconds and then I get the following message:

"There was a problem installing "Mac OS X".

Try reinstalling."

I rebooted already a dozen times. Used the Disk Utility to verify both the HDD where ML will be installed (which as been correctly formatted and is now empty) and the attached external HDD which contains the installation dmg of ML.

I'm out of ideas now. What the hell is going on?

My MacBook 5,1 supports ML, right?

I checked the dmg installation file of ML before and it check out in Disk Utility.

Hope someone can help! Thanks a bunch!

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
So, now something is wrong for sure.

After trying many many times and after waiting for some hours for someone to answer me here on the forums (still nothing, unfortunately), I loaded into the external HDD the dmg from Lion and created a bootable disk like I did before when I first updated from SL to Lion.

The same exact problem occurs! The disk boots up and it tries to immediately start the installation process. Nothing is asked to me, it goes straight to that window with the big X and the progress bar under.

Can someone please help? Now I have a MacBook that doesn't work at all, neither with Lion or ML.

Thanks!

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
You're doing it wrong. I'm not sure how but you must be doing something wrong. You either made the disk image wrong or you're still booting to the internal hard drive. Can you boot to the DVD that came with the MacBook?

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Try your Leopard disc that came with your MacBook.

Ow..and don't pirate ML ;)

Dizzay

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
San Diego
I had this same issue on a 2007 mbp. What I did was put SL back on a usb, install that clean, then install ML on top of it. No matter what i tried it wouldnt let me install it clean either

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I don't have my SL DVD here with me. It's at my parents house in a different country that the one I'm living in at the moment.

The Leon copy is legit though, bought it through App Store when it came out.

But even Leon bootable stick won't install. Any idea why?

Thanks!

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't have my SL DVD here with me. It's at my parents house in a different country that the one I'm living in at the moment.

The Leon copy is legit though, bought it through App Store when it came out.

But even Leon bootable stick won't install. Any idea why?

Thanks!

have you tested the Lion USB on another MAC to make sure its works?

i was having issues doing a clean install of Lion once found i had bad RAM once i changed my RAM the install went through with no issues, not saying you have bad RAM but it goes to show any number of things can lead to OS install issues

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
haha, Leon... Sorry about that.

How can I test out the Lion copy on another Mac? Do I really have to upgrade?

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Now I'm getting worried!

I finally got a copy of Snow Leopard and made a bootable USB with it.

I get an error message saying:

"Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer."

Is my MacBook completely broken?

Should I try with Leopard? (that's what it came with when I bought it)

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Now I'm getting worried!

I finally got a copy of Snow Leopard and made a bootable USB with it.

I get an error message saying:

"Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer."

Is my MacBook completely broken?

Should I try with Leopard? (that's what it came with when I bought it)

Kinda scary. Are all Mac OS X developers this clueless? I might just stick with Windows ME.

BTW: OP, all of your problems will be solved for $20 on Wednesday!

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
OK, after some desperation I managed to found the original Leopard DVD that came with my MacBook 5,1. It is here with me afterall...

Leopard is installing fine from the DVD. Why the hell can't I make a clean install with Snow Leopard or Lion or Mountain Lion?

When Leopard finishes the installation, can I upgrade straight away to Mountain Lion or will I need to go through the pain of installing Snow Leopard, Lion and only then Mountain Lion?

Also, should I update Leopard through the update app before upgrading or can I just move on to updating to the next version?

Thanks guys!

Arctix

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I think you have to upgrade to Snow Leopard first, and from within Snow Leopard you can buy Mountain Lion on the release date. After you've downloaded your copy of Mountain Lion, you can upgrade immediately from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
What a huge pain in the ass!

Is there any reason why I can't just format my hard drive and then simply install Mountain Lion on it straight away?

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
When Leopard finishes the installation, can I upgrade straight away to Mountain Lion or will I need to go through the pain of installing Snow Leopard, Lion and only then Mountain Lion?

Thanks guys!

yes, all you have to do is go into finder---> system---> library---> core services---> and open up "SystemVersion.plist"

once this is open look for text that says "<key>ProductVersion</key>" right below it should show what version of leopard you are running. change the number to 10.8 then you should be able to install ML over leopard.

i installed Lion over leopard a few days ago on my friends laptop and did it that way.

hope this helps

Nov 28, 2010
located
What a huge pain in the ass!

Is there any reason why I can't just format my hard drive and then simply install Mountain Lion on it straight away?

The reason is you are not doing it correctly. You don't seem to have created a bootable ML installer, and even if you did, it does not seem to be working correctly. Even I could create a bootable ML installer from one of the DPs using one of the many guides out there on how to do it with the Lion InstallESD.dmg file and could boot from the ML installer on a separate partition on one of my external HDDs and thus install ML on my 2007 iMac. After having done that and having run ML for two weeks (DP4 I guess) I decided to go back to Snow Leopard, since ML does provide nothing for me I like, and Mission Control is still a clusterfrack, but then again, I love proper Exposé and Spaces.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks ZacNicholson!

Would you mind sharing one of those guides that show how to correctly do it? This leopard installation is eating away a lot of space already...

The reason is you are not doing it correctly. You don't seem to have created a bootable ML installer, and even if you did, it does not seem to be working correctly. Even I could create a bootable ML installer from one of the DPs using one of the many guides out there on how to do it with the Lion InstallESD.dmg file and could boot from the ML installer on a separate partition on one of my external HDDs and thus install ML on my 2007 iMac. After having done that and having run ML for two weeks (DP4 I guess) I decided to go back to Snow Leopard, since ML does provide nothing for me I like, and Mission Control is still a clusterfrack, but then again, I love proper Exposé and Spaces.

----------

yes, all you have to do is go into finder---> system---> library---> core services---> and open up "SystemVersion.plist"

once this is open look for text that says "<key>ProductVersion</key>" right below it should show what version of leopard you are running. change the number to 10.8 then you should be able to install ML over leopard.

i installed Lion over leopard a few days ago on my friends laptop and did it that way.

hope this helps

I can't manage to save the file when I change it.

It tells me to press "Get info", which I do and change the access rules for the file, which I do, but still I can't save the changes.

What do to?

EDIT: Never mind, I used the Terminal.

Last edited:

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
Thanks ZacNicholson!

[/COLOR]

I can't manage to save the file when I change it.

It tells me to press "Get info", which I do and change the access rules for the file, which I do, but still I can't save the changes.

What do to?

drag it on your desktop, edit it, put it back in the core services folder and hit replace. it will ask for your password

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I managed to change the version and the Installer would launch but immediately crash and ask me if I'd like to reset and try again. No matter how many times I'd try it wouldn't work.

This means the dmg I have is damaged?

I checked with DiskWarrior and it was fine...

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I've been thinking now and it isn't just Mountain Lion that I can't make a clean install with.

Neither Snow Leopard or Lion allowed me to perform a clean install.

I had to go all the way back to Leopard (I have a later 2008 MacBook 5,1) and perform that install with DVD, which took so long that made me realize I haven't used a CD/DVD in years...

What's the problem here? Do I need to change something before installing Mountain Lion fresh on my MacBook?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Arctix

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Are you doing the clean installation properly?

What I usually do is put the dvd in my Mac and boot it while holding the option key. Then, you can see all your partitions and your bootable dvd. Select the dvd and a menu gets loaded. Use disk utility to wipe your hard drive and then click to install your copy of OS X.

Hope this helps.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Are you doing the clean installation properly?

What I usually do is put the dvd in my Mac and boot it while holding the option key. Then, you can see all your partitions and your bootable dvd. Select the dvd and a menu gets loaded. Use disk utility to wipe your hard drive and then click to install your copy of OS X.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I am doing it fine.

I can install Snow Leopard and Lion from a bootable USB if I have Leopard installed already and I just upgrade.

But if I want to do a clean install straight away with Lion (for example) I can't manage to get the installation going and I get an error saying I can't install Mac OS X on this computer.

Something must be wrong for sure on my MacBook since others can make clean installs straight away with Lion or even Mountain Lion for those who have it already.

rodrivit

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
I think...

Nobody has checked your ram. i think you are using 8gb on a 2008 macbook wich doesn't support 8gb, you're probably riding that Lion glith that allows you to run the 8gb succesfuly but it doesn't work on snow leopard and I really don't know if it works on mountain Lion. Hope this is it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.