Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
First let me say that I currently own a 2010 mini server running Lion client with 8gb ram. I had the original mini and they are great little machines. :D I have been keeping an eye out for a decent IPS monitor that won't break the bank. I don't really want to spend a grand on the Apple display and don't really need a 27" monitor. I wish Apple made a 23" version. Anyways, this new line coming from LG looks pretty nice. :cool: I would only need the 23" version.

http://www.slashgear.com/lg-ips7-series-lcd-ips-displays-pack-mhl-for-easy-phone-hookup-20239523/

It looks like IPS displays are coming down in price and will likely be the norm in another year or so. I may upgrade to a new mini eventually, but really want a new monitor first. Does anyone else have a recommendation for an IPS monitor? I basically do some photo editing but nothing extreme.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I can't comment on the exact models you mentioned, but I use 3 -23" LG IPS displays (models from about a year or so ago). I'm happy with them. Not perfect, but I paid about $250 for each one of them which gives me a heck of a lot of desktop space.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
How much do these LG monitors cost? They look pretty sleek!

From a quality standpoint, I can recommend the Dell UltraSharp series. The U2411 24" model has a 16:10 aspect ratio and gives you more space this way with a resolution of 1920x1200. Price is about 260. The 27" model uses the exact same panel than the Thunderbolt Display, but with "better" backlighting (CCFL consumes more energy, but gives more accurate colors in this case) and costs about 550.

If you prefer LGs design (which I could understand very good) I think they should be pretty okay. Haven't made any bad experiences with LG IPS panels so far.

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I have been using LG IPS235 monitor for about eight months now and I am satisfied with it.
Not the best monitor in the world, but for that price more than satisfactory.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
How much do these LG monitors cost? They look pretty sleek!

I guess pricing for these new LG models has not been released. They are being released first in Asia but hopefully will be in the US market soon. I really like to look with the thin bezel. :D

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
USA
I'm looking for an IPS monitor that's under 300.

What brand would go best with a mac mini?

LG

HP

DELL

ASUS

OTHER

?

Last edited:

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Why not get one of the 27" Korean models like this. It's the same LG S-IPS 2560x1440 panel as in the new iMac and Cinema Displays, just in a different case. It has a no dead pixel guarantee too - all for $309.

I'm looking for an IPS monitor that's under 300.

What brand would go best with a mac mini?
LG
HP
DELL
ASUS
OTHER
?

The brand doesn't matter.

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
If you have a microcenter center nearby, the EQ276W is nice for the price too:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0384780

2560x1440, IPS, and multiple input options. Looks like you can rip the stand off and replace with any VESA mount without much screwing around too.

I bought one of the korean ones (QH270) because micro center was out of stock at the time, but they just got more and a couple coworkers grabbed some

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
I use a HP ZR2240. It's a 21.5" 1920x1080 display. Very nice image quality and good support too, since HP considers it enterprise class.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
NEC. Built like tanks with excellent ergonomic adjustments and a four year warranty. CCFL backlit displays start at $300 MSRP; I haven't priced LED displays. There should be some models available with a discount priced at under $300; I have no idea if IPS panels are available in that price range.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Why not get one of the 27" Korean models like this. It's the same LG S-IPS 2560x1440 panel as in the new iMac and Cinema Displays, just in a different case. It has a no dead pixel guarantee too - all for $309.

The brand doesn't matter.

there is no guarantee. in fact, if you read the full auction it specifically states then anything less then 5 dead pixels is considered normal.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
there is no guarantee. in fact, if you read the full auction it specifically states then anything less then 5 dead pixels is considered normal.

They paste that into all their auctions, but that's for the regular model. The pixel perfect model has a zero bright pixel guarantee.

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
I will sound like a complete heretic, but are there any higher quality monitors that are glossy? I am not into photo editing. but I appreciate high quality monitors. please let's not start a glossy versus antiglare interglactic debate!

thanks

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
They paste that into all their auctions, but that's for the regular model. The pixel perfect model has a zero bright pixel guarantee.

it says anything less then 5 deadpixels is normal on the pixel perfect model as well. they would not put that under their pixel perfect model if it had a zero dead bright pixel warranty. show me where it says in writing otherwise and i will believe it.

TickleMeElmo

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
Dell definitely has some of the best warranty service out there. I have a U2711 and a U2211, I RMA'd both for small color issues and they were happy to send me a new monitor before I shipped mine back.

It is also one of the few manufacturers who are willing to offer 3 years warranty and actual 0 dead pixel warranty.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
Thanks for all of the good advice. It looks like IPS is fast being adopted and prices are dropping. I still like the looks of the LG Series 7 displays and will wait to see the pricing on the 23" version. :D

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
it says anything less then 5 deadpixels is normal on the pixel perfect model as well. they would not put that under their pixel perfect model if it had a zero dead bright pixel warranty. show me where it says in writing otherwise and i will believe it.

I know what you're saying, but I spent a lot of time picking one and looked at lots of auctions by many sellers of quite a few brands. They basically all paste that same disclaimer in their auctions, and a few actually explain the perfect pixel guarantee. Supposedly if it's in the title, it's one that was checked for dead pixels (even though it has the same boilerplate text in the auction).

I haven't received mine yet, so I guess we'll see when I get it.

rockisdead

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
I hooked up my macmini with Dell 2408 WFP atm,used to use Dell U2412M,both through HDMI to DVI adapter with 1920 * 1200.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
There is an asus line called the pro art line. they are calibrated at the factory. they have a 24 inch asus pro art for 299. it uses an A+ IPS panel. just browse asus monitors at newegg and look for the monitor names that start with PA. there should be 3 or 4. including a 24 inch that is like 400 usd. thats not the 24 inch your looking for. there is another better one for 300.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
There is an asus line called the pro art line. they are calibrated at the factory. they have a 24 inch asus pro art for 299. it uses an A+ IPS panel. just browse asus monitors at newegg and look for the monitor names that start with PA. there should be 3 or 4. including a 24 inch that is like 400 usd. thats not the 24 inch your looking for. there is another better one for 300.

Those look like really nice monitors. Very adjustable stands and high end panels. Definitely will consider one of those. :)

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I'd go with the Dells, my U2412M works just fine with me apple gear.

I grabbed one of those last year when it was (mis)priced at 199 NZD (RRP 699). Have been very happy with it. It is one of the newer e-IPS models which is a tad below the true IPS models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.