Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wow this is awesome. Thanks!

Does the Mini use this notebook memory? I'd like to buy a gig of this, put it in the Mini, and take the 512 MB that's in the mini and stick it in my powerbook. Will this work?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Cougarcat said:
Wow this is awesome. Thanks!

Does the Mini use this notebook memory? I'd like to buy a gig of this, put it in the Mini, and take the 512 MB that's in the mini and stick it in my powerbook. Will this work?
No.

The Mini uses a DIMM, not a SODIMM. It is also moderately finicky about the SPD settings on the module, so I recommend you get your RAM from a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Macintosh, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return ability if it doesn't work.

polythene pam

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2005
Florida
So this would work on the new ibooks??? because it is a great deal, I would order one today if I knew for sure. I went on crucial and the RAM that they suggest for the new ibook seems to be the same as this one on newegg.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
polythene pam said:
So this would work on the new ibooks??? because it is a great deal, I would order one today if I knew for sure. I went on crucial and the RAM that they suggest for the new ibook seems to be the same as this one on newegg.
No, this is the correct form factor and speed for the new iBooks.
Nobody, least of all NewEgg, is guaranteeing it is compatible with the iBooks.

There is more to compatibility than speed and the number of pins. The manufacturer has to set the Serial Presence Detect chip correctly for the Mac to use the module. Many PC generic RAM modules do not have the SPD set correctly, and so don't work. The only way to know is to test it.

Good Mac vendors test their suppliers' RAM and provide a compatibility guarantee. Needless to say, NewEgg doesn't. You can try this RAM if the time, shipping costs and aggravation to send it back for refund don't bother you.

I suggest that new Mac owners (and especially those who are planning to take their machine overseas :eek: ) stick with Mac compatibility guaranteeed RAM from a reputable vendor.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
No, this is the correct form factor and speed for the new iBooks.
Nobody, least of all NewEgg, is guaranteeing it is compatible with the iBooks.

There is more to compatibility than speed and the number of pins. The manufacturer has to set the Serial Presence Detect chip correctly for the Mac to use the module. Many PC generic RAM modules do not have the SPD set correctly, and so don't work. The only way to know is to test it.

Good Mac vendors test their suppliers' RAM and provide a compatibility guarantee. Needless to say, NewEgg doesn't. You can try this RAM if the time, shipping costs and aggravation to send it back for refund don't bother you.

I suggest that new Mac owners (and especially those who are planning to take their machine overseas :eek: ) stick with Mac compatibility guaranteeed RAM from a reputable vendor.

Of course there's the fact that there's about 100 5-star reviews on newegg saying that it works great in their powerbooks and ibooks of all speeds.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Fuchal said:
Of course there's the fact that there's about 100 5-star reviews on newegg saying that it works great in their powerbooks and ibooks of all speeds.
And you are going to do what if it doesn't work on yours? Newegg isn't going to help you. Not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned. I'm in the US and I stick to crucial or datamem.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Fuchal said:
Uh huh. What assurance is there that the reviewers tested the same configuration of the RAM that is being sold today?

It is certainly possible for PC generic RAM to work, if the SPDs and the chip composition are right. Like I said, if you are willing to take that risk, it may work.

Problem is though that the compostition and setup of the module is liable to change at any time.

Also for example, a positive result for an AlBook 15" 1.5 GHz does not mean it will work in an AlBook 15" 1.25 GHz, because the 1.25 has much tighter RAM tolerances and there are many modules that don't work in it.

So if you want to take the chance, go ahead. If it works you save $20. If it doesn't you're out the time and shipping costs.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
grapes911 said:
And you are going to do what if it doesn't work on yours? Newegg isn't going to help you. Not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned. I'm in the US and I stick to crucial or datamem.
ive rma'd memory from newegg by just saying it didnt work in my computer. even when it did and i just had found a better deal elsewhere :p they're pretty cool about things like that.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
Month end sale, i bought mine better buy yours! Although there is no certification for Apple, there is an overwhelming positive response from Apple users.

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
I bought this stick about a month or so ago and it's been working fine in my PB 15". I would have sprung for something a bit less generic if I had the cash, but college student/intern/blah blah blah...if it doesn't work, just send the bugger back.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
grapes911 said:

SOoooo what you are saying is even though it works on other people's mac lap tops which are in all likelyhood the exact same as the laptop you are trying to update... It will inexplicably... not work... for my ibook... even though it works for everyone one else's yup that makes a ton of sense.... If there was no one saying it works on my laptop I would be highly spectacle and wouldnt buy it but cmon.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
grapes911 said:

Newegg won't help you??? Newegg has notoriously good customer service!

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
The Kingmax has been noted to not work on Powerbook, so it shouldn't work on a new iBook. You have to upgrade for $10 to the Kingston to get not only a manufacturer's guarentee but a piece of mine. Still $120 isn't bad.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Chef Medeski said:
The Kingmax has been noted to not work on Powerbook, so it shouldn't work on a new iBook. You have to upgrade for $10 to the Kingston to get not only a manufacturer's guarentee but a piece of mine. Still $120 isn't bad.

Noted not to work? If you read the reviews, the overwhelming evidence is that it *does* work with the PB.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
I read a thread in Macrumors, noting that it didn't work with his computer and then went on to explaining that many of the 5 star reviews, said it didn't work with their PB, but that doesn't make it a bad ram, sot hey gave it 5 stars. I guess for some it works and for others it doesn't.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Chef Medeski said:
I read a thread in Macrumors, noting that it didn't work with his computer and then went on to explaining that many of the 5 star reviews, said it didn't work with their PB, but that doesn't make it a bad ram, sot hey gave it 5 stars. I guess for some it works and for others it doesn't.

I've read through most of the reviews. There are a few that say it didn't work, etc. But I would say 75+% say it worked perfectly.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Well I have just found out one of mine 512MB sticks is no good and I need more Ram so this news falls down on my lap :D Thanks a lot.

everybodylikepi

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2005
Massachusetts
Speaking of reviews, I own this RAM and I'll give both Newegg and the ram 5 stars. No problems with service, installation, performance, conflicts, etc. I installed it in my 1.67 Ghz 15" Pbook. I payed $10 more at the time though... oh well. Now it's an even better deal.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
tsk said:
I've read through most of the reviews. There are a few that say it didn't work, etc. But I would say 75+% say it worked perfectly.
75% working means that we have established that it is not universally compatible across the Mac line then, (despite what others have claimed) are we agreed? 25% failure rate is approximately 20 times the acceptable industry standard.

If you are fine with a 25% risk of having to send if back on your nickel, go for it.

It comes down to your machine; some Powerbooks are more tolerant than others. The worst ones for compatibility issues are the 1 GHz 15", 1.25 GHz 15", 1GHz 17" and 1.33GHz 17".

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
CanadaRAM said:
75% working means that we have established that it is not universally compatible across the Mac line then, (despite what others have claimed) are we agreed? 25% failure rate is approximately 20 times the acceptable industry standard.

If you are fine with a 25% risk of having to send if back on your nickel, go for it.

It comes down to your machine; some Powerbooks are more tolerant than others. The worst ones for compatibility issues are the 1 GHz 15", 1.25 GHz 15", 1GHz 17" and 1.33GHz 17".

Ok, I stated 75+%. Obviously you know that was an estimate. Second, you should know that 75% of reviews does not translate to 75% of the memory.

Ok, since I obviously have nothing better to do, I have complete statistics (subject to counting errors).

100% of iBook users reported success (7/7 reviewers)

91% of PB users reported success (50/55 reviewers)

Of the 5 PB reviewers who noted failure, 4 noted their model as a 1.25GHz 15" (the model you note to be particularly picky). The 5th mentions a 12" PB 1.5GHz (and is I believe the only one to rate the memory high since it just doesn't work in his computer)

So aside from the 1.25GHz, that's less than a 2% failure rate (on par with the industry standard you quote).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.