Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside other OS X Mountain Lion announcements at its Worldwide Developers Conference last month, Apple announced an Up-to-Date program allowing any customer purchasing a Mac on or after June 11 to receive a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion once the operating system is released to the public. With OS X Mountain Lion being released only via the Mac App Store, the free upgrade is being delivered a redemption code for the store.

mountain_lion_up_to_date_form_1.jpg

While the company has yet to officially announce it and almost certainly will not do so until OS X Mountain Lion itself actually launches, the company's Up-to-Date online application form is already live. Users are required to enter their date and location of purchase for the qualifying Mac, fill out personal contact information, and enter the serial numbers of machines eligible for the free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion. Once all information has been submitted, Apple generates a reference number for the claim and the actual redemption code is delivered via email.

mountain_lion_up_to_date_form_2.jpg

In our testing, the redemption code arrived as a password-protected PDF attachment within seconds of submitting the online form, with a second email containing a password for opening the PDF arriving at the same time.
Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for participating in the OS X Mountain Lion Up-To-Date program. The content code that allows you to download and install OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store is in the file attached below. You will receive the password to unlock the attached files in a separate email. Your content code may be redeemed immediately through the Mac App Store and will not expire.

Please follow these steps to redeem your copy of OS X Mountain Lion:

1. Open the Mac App Store application.

2. Select "Redeem" in the Quick Links section of the Mac App Store.

3. Enter your content code.

If you have questions regarding the redemption or installation of your software from the Mac App Store, visit www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/.

To redeem your content code you need the latest version of the Mac App Store application, an Apple ID, and Internet access (fees may apply). You can create an Apple ID at appleid.apple.com/us.

As a reminder, content codes may not be resold and can only be redeemed by people above the minimum age specified by the terms and conditions of the Mac App Store in your country. Apple is not responsible for lost or stolen content codes. You may review the Terms of Service for the Mac App Store at www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/.

Thank you for choosing Apple!
mountain_lion_up_to_date_form_3.jpg

Attempting to redeem the OS X Mountain Lion code in the Mac App Store does not yet provide access to the update, however, as it has yet to go live in the store. Entering the code simply yields an error noting that it is "not recognized as a valid code".

OS X Mountain Lion will be released later this month, with hints suggesting that it could arrive this Wednesday, July 25.

(Thanks, Justin!)

Update 10:12 AM: Apple appears to have taken the Up-to-Date application offline.

Article Link: Apple's OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Application Goes Live Ahead of Public Launch [Updated]

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Presumably it will be pushed to the Store before Wednesday or this email will leave customers confused.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Presumably it will be pushed to the Store before Wednesday or this email will leave customers confused.

They haven't announced the Up to Date is live. So most customers won't be looking yet. I think they may release Tuesday, announce and go live in one fell swoop, just to throw us off since everyone expects it Wednesday.

Edit: however after checking roaring apps yesterday, it seems many app have yet to be tested or verified as working on ML with some even marked as not working. I found this surprising as just like Leopard -> Snow Leopard, Lion -> Mountain Lion isn't such a huge upgrade that it should break compatability. But as such I may install on my new Air but leave the main iMac running 10.7 until I know I don't have any software issues.

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
I wonder if they update iWork/iLife before ML is released to reduce the server load.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
not for me....

What is this "right to copy" option

If you read the page, you'd clearly see:

If you are an Enterprise, Education Institution, or Government customer and you have purchased 20 or more qualifying systems, you can receive a Right to Copy license.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Hmm... wonder if a "restore from network" on a new mac (Air in my case) will pull over ML or not.

PeterSharp

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
I bought my macbook in UK but my iTunes ID is US. Is there a way to redeem that lion voucher in different store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.