PDA

View Full Version : SSDs and Mountain Lion

w3rt
Jul 23, 2012, 12:06 PM
I am starting this thread to make people aware of some issues with mountain lion gm and certain ocz ssds.

As you all know mountain lion gm was released to developers not long ago, and people with non-apple ssds may have some trouble when upgrading to mountain lion.

My friend and I have done some testing with 3 ocz ssds over the last week and 2 of them simply won't work correctly with mountain lion, these 2 being the ocz petrol 128gb and the ocz octane 128gb.

In both situations, will it be through an upgrade or a fresh intall, you cannot boot into the OS after installing on to these devices (unless in safe mode). You basically just get a boot loop every time you turn the computer on. The other tested ssd was an ocz agility which worked flawlessly. The link below is from the ocz forums and they are fully aware of the issues,

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...Octane-1TB-SSD

but it could be some time until either ocz or apple does something about it, which if you are like me, is very bad news, I purchased the ocz petrol only 2 weeks ago, it works great with lion, but my guess is that with mountain lion apple are trying to make it harder to install their new os with non-apple hardware.

So this thread is just a warning that if you intend to upgrade to mountain lion in a few days time, there is a good chance that if you are using non-apple ssds, you may experience some problems.

peglegjack
Jul 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
That link doesn't work.

iOrbit
Jul 23, 2012, 05:38 PM
im intending to buy the samsung 830, from what i hear, apple is using this vendor for their ssd, so i hope it works fine! :|

Jul 23, 2012, 05:43 PM
I have a Vertex 3; so unless otherwise reported, this is YET another reason to avoid ML...at least for now.

markrox7
Jul 23, 2012, 05:52 PM
can anyone confirm or deny that the Crucial m4 256 gb ssd works with ML?

slynger
Jul 23, 2012, 07:46 PM

+1 (or the m4 512?)

Maclver
Jul 23, 2012, 07:51 PM
For MBA owners. I have the OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G SSD and it works perfect on ML

matamoris
Jul 23, 2012, 08:00 PM
I'm running GM on a Crucial M4 128 without any trouble.

dba415
Jul 23, 2012, 09:54 PM
I just purchased an ocz agility will I be okay?

markrox7
Jul 23, 2012, 10:01 PM

Thanks! I'm excited for ML. I'm waiting to replace my HDD with my Crucial m4 SSD once ML comes out so I can clean install it on a clean SSD! :apple:

ECJ
Jul 24, 2012, 02:44 AM
I'm running GM with a Crucial M4 256GB and not a single issue.

Jamie0003
Jul 24, 2012, 05:47 AM
I just bought myself a Crucial M4 128GB which I shall be clean installing mountain lion onto when it comes out. It's my first SSD so i'm really looking forward to it :)

dnjmarlboro
Jul 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
I'm running Mountain Lion GM with Crucial M4 512GB and have zero problems at all. (iMac Late 2009 with 16GB RAM)

Yaris
Jul 24, 2012, 09:28 AM
Running GM on an Agility 3 and it works great, no freezing. It's running on SATA I speed because of an issue with SATA II macs, but I will use the OCZ boot disk to enable SATA II when I get to my desktop.

nontroppo
Jul 24, 2012, 09:49 AM
No problems on OCZ Vertex 4...

Orlandoech.com
Jul 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
No issues on a Corsair Force GT 240GB.

xgman
Jul 24, 2012, 09:57 AM
owc mercury extreme no issues at all.

toastie
Jul 24, 2012, 04:20 PM
I have a mid 2010 mac book pro with a samsung 830 SSD is this going to cause problems? i installed the samsung 830 as its the one i read apple were using themselves so figured it would cause me the least problems but now I'm worried about updating?

peglegjack
Jul 24, 2012, 07:10 PM
Anyone brave enough to test the Vertex 3?

AzN1337c0d3r
Jul 24, 2012, 11:42 PM
Anyone brave enough to test the Vertex 3?

ML GM Vertex 3 in HDD bay on Late 2011 17-inch Macbook Pro no problems.

shurcooL
Jul 25, 2012, 12:19 AM
Surprised no one has an Intel SSD.

otech
Jul 25, 2012, 12:39 AM
I had the boot loop issue on a couple of DP's when I was upgrading from Lion with a Bootcamp partition.

I was able to resolve it by repartitioning it to 1 HFS+ partition, and installing from there.

I have a Silicon Power e25 128GB (cheapy but running really fast in ML with TRIM and partition aligned).

dorm
Jul 26, 2012, 12:12 AM
I tried OCZ Octane 256 GB (indilinx controller) and got into a boot loop :/

thephased
Jul 26, 2012, 12:18 AM
256gb Samsung 830 SSD here. No problems in Mountain Lion.

ericmedia3
Jul 26, 2012, 12:21 AM

which firmware you using?

mmomega
Jul 26, 2012, 12:40 AM
Surprised no one has an Intel SSD.
ML on '09 iMac with 80GB Intel SSD. Works just like an SSD is supposed to.

devorebo
Jul 26, 2012, 08:55 AM
I've got a 3 week old OCZ Octane 256GB. Lion ran awesome, with never an issue. I first did an upgrade from lion to mountain lion, and it gray screened and spin wheeled. Also, initialized the octane and did a clean install and too got gray screened. Both ways I could only boot into safe mode.

No fix yet, that I've found.
Macbook Pro 15-inch Early 2011

1stdaz
Jul 26, 2012, 09:05 AM
000f...And it seems to work better with ML than Lion.

GizmoDVD
Jul 26, 2012, 09:09 AM

Ditto

fisherking
Jul 26, 2012, 09:11 AM
m4 with ML, and all is (very) well...

WallaceTech
Jul 26, 2012, 11:29 AM
Same here. I have the OZC Petrol and can't boot ML apart from Safe Mode!

Lion works perfectly. Any updates to this issue or work arounds?

devorebo
Jul 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
Found a workaround. Boot into single user mode command+s and wait for the prompt. Type exit and it will boot into mountain lion. At least its not in safe mode now, but you'll have to do this every time!

Hope OCZ or Apple fixes this! It is very annoying.

thestickman
Jul 26, 2012, 11:34 AM
Upgraded from Lion to ML on the iMac. SSD is a OCZ Vertex Plus. Boots normally. Operates wonderfully.

dorm
Jul 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
Found a workaround. Boot into single user mode command+s and wait for the prompt. Type exit and it will boot into mountain lion. At least its not in safe mode now, but you'll have to do this every time!

Hope OCZ or Apple fixes this! It is very annoying.

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated :)

richtea123
Jul 26, 2012, 12:58 PM
After 3 hours and 2 reinstalls wondering if my laptop had died, so pleased I saw your thread!

Can confirm that Petrol 128gb won't work with ML.

krspkbl
Jul 26, 2012, 01:22 PM
I have a Crucial M4 256 GB (0309) SSD in my late 2008 13" aluminium MacBook (2.4Ghz/8GB RAM).

Runs perfectly! So smooth and very fast :)

Korovka
Jul 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
All who have OCZ please create topics at http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?237-OCZ-SSD-Support-for-Linux-and-Apple-OSX and try to share this problem with different online magazines. This problem must be withheld.

reberto
Jul 26, 2012, 01:34 PM
180GB Agility 3 has zero issues here. THOUGH! When I first tried to format it, Lion said it couldn't write to the last block, and never did anything. It took a 6yr old Core Duo Macbook running Snow Leopard to format it! It had no hiccups there. Maybe ML will be able to format it if I ever need it to? Or maybe that issue was fixed? Who knows! It isn't broken so I ain't touching it!

Wiggleforce
Jul 26, 2012, 01:48 PM
Intel 320 160GB works like a charm with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion!

Peace

haravikk
Jul 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
Any trouble reported with the OCZ Vertex II's? I have one running OS X Lion at the moment without any particular trouble, though I did disable TRIM support after briefly enabling it (it actually ran slower with TRIM enabled).

I don't think Apple would do anything to purposefully hamper third party SSD's, as Mac Pro users can trivially install them, and anyone with a SATA drive dock could one to their machine, so making them non-bootable seems weird. The fact devorebo found that strange workaround suggests it's something to do with the driver not loading at the correct time for booting.

Keanu
Jul 26, 2012, 02:14 PM
Today I made a clean install on a Crucial m4 SSD 256MB (MacBook Pro Mid 2009). No problems. Runs fine!

blikecray
Jul 26, 2012, 02:19 PM
I have a OCZ Vertex Plus 128GB SSD and ML installs fine but it won't mount any external hard drives at all. I backed all my stuff up to my external then did a clean install on this SSD and now I can't mount any external drive I've tried. Disk Utility says the disk needs to be repaired, even if I try formatting a new drive on ML. This is such a pain.

----------

Upgraded from Lion to ML on the iMac. SSD is a OCZ Vertex Plus. Boots normally. Operates wonderfully.

Have you tried using any external drives with ML yet? I have the same SSD as you, the install went fine, boots fine, but my issue is with external drives (tested 1TB, 1.5TB both formatted on exFat and Fat to no avail) Disk utility will recognize it but it won't mount.

thestickman
Jul 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
I have a OCZ Vertex Plus 128GB SSD and ML installs fine but it won't mount any external hard drives at all. I backed all my stuff up to my external then did a clean install on this SSD and now I can't mount any external drive I've tried. Disk Utility says the disk needs to be repaired, even if I try formatting a new drive on ML. This is such a pain.

----------

Have you tried using any external drives with ML yet? I have the same SSD as you, the install went fine, boots fine, but my issue is with external drives (tested 1TB, 1.5TB both formatted on exFat and Fat to no avail) Disk utility will recognize it but it won't mount.

I have 2 Firewire hard drives operating without issue & I have a time capsule with an extra drive connected to it via usb. All working as they should, thankfully.

NeoCracer
Jul 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
I have a '09 MBP with a OCZ Vertex 2, and ML is running fine here (as far as I know)

blikecray
Jul 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
I have 2 Firewire hard drives operating without issue & I have a time capsule with an extra drive connected to it via usb. All working as they should, thankfully.

Weird, I wonder what I'm doing wrong! If you have a second could you look at your System Information and compare it to mine, I wonder if we have different firmware versions on our SSD's. Thank you!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9446763/Capture.PNG

bossmanjunior
Jul 26, 2012, 03:49 PM
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS + ML = Fine & Fast

(Although it took me almost 9 hours to download from Apples clogged servers despite comcast's freebie upgrade to 50MBs down)

thestickman
Jul 26, 2012, 04:16 PM
Weird, I wonder what I'm doing wrong! If you have a second could you look at your System Information and compare it to mine, I wonder if we have different firmware versions on our SSD's. Thank you!

Image (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9446763/Capture.PNG)

My OCZ Plus has revision 3.5

Yours has 3.02

th3random1
Jul 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
I have a Crucial M4 (256) that is having the same problem. To anyone with a Crucial M4 that is working, did any of you upgrade from Lion or Snow Leopard? Also, did any of you have the trim enabler installed?

dawiyo
Jul 27, 2012, 02:38 PM
Intel 320 120GB in a mid 2009 MBP running just fine.

TPadden
Jul 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
Any trouble reported with the OCZ Vertex II's?...

Running fine on my Mac Pro.

Salukipilot4590
Jul 27, 2012, 04:15 PM
Crucial M4 256GB in a Early 2011 15" MBP working fine!

wildcat1451
Jul 28, 2012, 01:27 AM
Just thought I'd let everyone know I'm using a 128gb Vertex 4 and am having issues. Installs and boots fine, however mail app crashes and will not re-open, same with iTunes, syystem preferences will also not load after this has happened. Only solution is a restart. Also cannot connect to internet. It appears that the hard drive freezes up and that Mountain Lion says there is no space available, as i am unable to download or do anything that requires any free space. Done 3 clean installs and is a brand new drive. Not sure if anyone has the same problems? Trying to downgrade back to lion now but thanks to Apple pulling Lion from the app store i have to do it another way. Very frustrating.

Zarkizon
Jul 28, 2012, 01:34 AM

It works perfectly with OS X Mountain Lion.

Stooby Mcdoobie
Jul 28, 2012, 01:37 AM
I'm also using the m4 256 GB SSD and haven't had any problems with it.

carl0sian
Jul 28, 2012, 02:43 AM
I'm running a Samsung 830 series SSD on a late 2011 17" MBP with Mountain Lion on it. So far, no problems encountered that is related to the SSD itself. I've only had the finder lock freeze up one me once and I've had it running since it was launched.

Would the Finder locking up be attributed to the SSD or the OS?

MIDI_EVIL
Jul 28, 2012, 04:50 AM
im intending to buy the samsung 830, from what i hear, apple is using this vendor for their ssd, so i hope it works fine! :|

I can confirm that the Samsung 830 SSD works flawlessly on my late 2011 MBP and 2009 Core 2 Duo 13'' MBP, both running Mountain Lion. You will have enable TRIM manually using the TRIM Enabler app, which is free.

SlCKB0Y
Jul 28, 2012, 07:16 AM
but my guess is that with mountain lion apple are trying to make it harder to install their new os with non-apple hardware.

So this thread is just a warning that if you intend to upgrade to mountain lion in a few days time, there is a good chance that if you are using non-apple ssds, you may experience some problems.

You're actually suggesting Apple are doing this on purpose?

ML works fine on my Crucial m4 and two full pages of replies with only one other person having a problem with another OCZ drive says you're being alarmist.

iOrbit
Jul 28, 2012, 08:28 AM
I can confirm that the Samsung 830 SSD works flawlessly on my late 2011 MBP and 2009 Core 2 Duo 13'' MBP, both running Mountain Lion. You will have enable TRIM manually using the TRIM Enabler app, which is free.

hi!

thanks, mine is due to arrive this week, as i went ahead and purchased it, the 256gb model, for £155 (it had been floating between £180-200 so im quite pleased) i also got the 16gb ram.

do you know where i can get the trim enabler app? im also quite confused about trim, some people here say its bad for OS X or un needed, and others like yourself suggest trim should be enabled :S

MIDI_EVIL
Jul 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
hi!

thanks, mine is due to arrive this week, as i went ahead and purchased it, the 256gb model, for £155 (it had been floating between £180-200 so im quite pleased) i also got the 16gb ram.

do you know where i can get the trim enabler app? im also quite confused about trim, some people here say its bad for OS X or un needed, and others like yourself suggest trim should be enabled :S

That's a good price. I too was watching intently as it hovered around £180, then one day, I got the 256GB on Amazon for £144, which isn't even the lowest I've seen it... £139!!!

Here's a link to TRIM enabler.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37852/trim-enabler/

iOrbit
Jul 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
That's a good price. I too was watching intently as it hovered around £180, then one day, I got the 256GB on Amazon for £144, which isn't even the lowest I've seen it... £139!!!

Here's a link to TRIM enabler.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37852/trim-enabler/

thanks, do you know anything about this??

"As I posted there is a massive thread about this app over on Macrumors. Use the search. Some had issues with this app, others didn't. If TRIM does not come with your device, I would think twice about enabling a hack that not supported by 10.7."

jbzcar
Jul 28, 2012, 11:50 PM
I have been using the Single User Mode trick with 10.8 and my 256GB OCZ Octane.

Sometimes it takes a couple tries, but once I am in, no problems at all.

blueroom
Jul 28, 2012, 11:57 PM
My OCZ Octane S2 (4.14) will not boot ML and won't until newer firmware is available. Had to resort back to Lion.

Unfortunately I let TM complete after ML, the downgrade to Lion wasn't smooth, Mail is still broken.

al404
Jul 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
i have a samsung 830 ssd i upgrade to ml without issue

but now when i boot i have the spinning wheel and i have to force shut down holding power button, the second time it boots correctly

how can i solve?
i have bootcamp partition

nikhsub1
Jul 30, 2012, 06:03 PM
Problem is PEBKAC more than SSD's... no issues here.

blikecray
Aug 1, 2012, 12:28 PM
My issue was solved (OCZ Vertex Plus) I had 3.02 firmware, used a windows machine to upgrade to 3.55 firmware then used OCZ tools to do a secure erase (not the same as using disk utility, this is much better) and installed a fresh copy of ML without any of my previous issues (external hard drives not showing up, random reboots, etc.). Whew, finally!

simon999
Aug 10, 2012, 07:36 AM

Peace

Hi,
Have you got trim support working in ML with your intel 320 series ssd?

I keep getting the following error with terminal commands and cannot get trim enabler to work.

Kernel file /mach_kernel does not contain requested arch: i386

Cheers,
Simon

SlCKB0Y
Aug 10, 2012, 10:25 AM

That's a warning, not an error. I had the same thing but trim was enabled.

Did you actually check if trim is showing up as enabled now?

peejack
Aug 10, 2012, 10:55 AM
I have a Crucial M4 (256) that is having the same problem. To anyone with a Crucial M4 that is working, did any of you upgrade from Lion or Snow Leopard? Also, did any of you have the trim enabler installed?

No problems here at all m4 256 with mountain lion.

Sital
Aug 10, 2012, 11:28 AM

No problems with Plextor M3 Pro. Working great.

Ifti
Aug 10, 2012, 11:32 AM
Another thumbs up for the Samsung 830 - ML running fine with TRIM enabled using TRIM Enabler.

simon999
Aug 10, 2012, 12:09 PM
That's a warning, not an error. I had the same thing but trim was enabled.

Did you actually check if trim is showing up as enabled now?

Yeah, checked after reboot and in system information says it isn't enabled. I checked the file that the terminal command changes and it has correctly changed "Apple" to zeros.

I'm a bit baffled as it was working fine in Lion but just won't now work in ML.

Anyone experienced similar?

Cheers,
Si
P.S. Also tried trim enabler but says "The patch is active but trim is not working"

----------

Could some nice person post a link to their correctly amended file:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

so I can try a swap and see if mine's corrupted.

cheers guys and girls!

shortcut3d
Aug 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
No problem with ML on 240GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3G and 480GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G.

shurcooL
Aug 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah, checked after reboot and in system information says it isn't enabled. I checked the file that the terminal command changes and it has correctly changed "Apple" to zeros.

I'm a bit baffled as it was working fine in Lion but just won't now work in ML.

Anyone experienced similar?

Cheers,
Si
P.S. Also tried trim enabler but says "The patch is active but trim is not working"

----------

/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

so I can try a swap and see if mine's corrupted.

cheers guys and girls!
Instead of changing "APPLE" to zeros, I changed it to "INTEL".

Works great with my Intel 120 GB 320 series SSD in ML. :)

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/1383/imagewdo.png

Also, instead of doing those 2 kextcache commands, I did "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/".

From the kextcache manual
“Installers and administrators should not use this program to update system kext caches. Instead they should run “touch” on the /System/Library/Extensions/ directory of the installation target volume after they have finished, which causes the system to update all necessary kext caches.”

Hence I think you could think about changing the guide to:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Just an idea

Here's my patched IOAHCIBlockStorage file for OS X 10.8 (Build 12A269) and Intel SSDs (the Model must start with "INTEL SSD" or else trim won't be enabled, but no harm otherwise).

http://minus.com/lbg4bN7aIEJMIA

Put it in place (rename to get rid of .patched, you might want to fix its file permissions also) and do:

Aug 10, 2012, 02:32 PM
As widely reported elsewhere, SandForce SSDs do NOT require TRIM!

duhmask
Aug 10, 2012, 03:50 PM
the latest version of TRIM Enabler works on Mountain Lion already, one could just install it instead of going through the process manually (?)

SlCKB0Y
Aug 10, 2012, 10:28 PM

Check md5 first. My file is MD5 = 4d265ac3f471b0ef0578d5dbb1eafadb

Badrottie
Aug 11, 2012, 06:14 AM

Peace

Same here :cool:

----------

Hi,
Have you got trim support working in ML with your intel 320 series ssd?

I keep getting the following error with terminal commands and cannot get trim enabler to work.

Cheers,
Simon

With Trim support working fine with my Intel 320 Series :cool:

Luis Ortega
Aug 11, 2012, 06:33 AM
I have a Vertex 3; so unless otherwise reported, this is YET another reason to avoid ML...at least for now.

I installed ml on an OWC 250gb ssd with no problems on my 2007 mbp.
I did the normal app store install over the lion iosx that was already installed.
All adobe, Microsoft and other apps work fine.
The problem is that it's such a silly upgrade for computer users.
I would never install it on my mac pro.
It's just another gimmick iosx, and a complete waste of time for any serious computer work, just like lion. My laptop is my toy, so it's no big deal what os it runs.
Snow leopard was the last osx version for serious computer use that apple put out.
If you're a gadget user, go for it. If you want to use your computer for actual work, stick with sl.

simon999
Aug 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
Instead of changing "APPLE" to zeros, I changed it to "INTEL".

Works great with my Intel 120 GB 320 series SSD in ML. :)

Image (http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/1383/imagewdo.png)

Also, instead of doing those 2 kextcache commands, I did "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/".

Here's my patched IOAHCIBlockStorage file for OS X 10.8 (Build 12A269) and Intel SSDs (the Model must start with "INTEL SSD" or else trim won't be enabled, but no harm otherwise).

http://minus.com/lbg4bN7aIEJMIA

Put it in place (rename to get rid of .patched, you might want to fix its file permissions also) and do:

YOU ARE A TOTAL GENIUS!!!

Changing Apple to Intel in the file works perfectly. Only issue I had was when I used sudo touch prior to patching the new file ended up with the grey screen of death and no entry sign at reboot. Did a reinstall and patched your file and worked a treat. Haven't run sudo touch again. Do you think I need to and any idea why it broke my build before?

Cheers again for your help. Huge respect!! Have you a donation page or a favourite charity?

ATB,
Si

simon999
Aug 11, 2012, 10:16 AM
the latest version of TRIM Enabler works on Mountain Lion already, one could just install it instead of going through the process manually (?)

Not for Intel 320ssd's - at least in my case, hence my posts above.

runebinder
Aug 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
Unfortunately I made the mistake of going for a 256 Octane S2 and have the same boot issues. Hoping it'll get fixed soon.

shurcooL
Aug 13, 2012, 12:36 AM
YOU ARE A TOTAL GENIUS!!!

Changing Apple to Intel in the file works perfectly. Only issue I had was when I used sudo touch prior to patching the new file ended up with the grey screen of death and no entry sign at reboot. Did a reinstall and patched your file and worked a treat. Haven't run sudo touch again. Do you think I need to and any idea why it broke my build before?
I, too, thought it was a neat coincidence that both Apple and Intel are made of 5 letters.

I'm glad it worked for you too. The only reason `sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/` would cause problems is if you had a bad kext file. I think changing "APPLE" to all zeros is a dangerous thing, because from what I can tell they use series of null-terminated strings... Adding extra zeros could mess things up (it might be just by chance that it worked before). Another potential reason things might go wrong is if the file permissions are poorly set (which can happen if you replace the kext file with another version), but this is just a guess.

If you have SSD support at "Yes" now and your boot time is good, you probably don't have to do the command again.

Cheers again for your help. Huge respect!! Have you a donation page or a favourite charity?

ATB,
Si
I'm actually an indie software developer working on some experimental free tools (https://github.com/shurcooL/Conception), so I could definitely use some $ support to keep me going.

There's a PayPal Donate button at the bottom of my site (http://www.cse.yorku.ca/~shuryork/). Thanks a lot. :)

dba415
Aug 13, 2012, 12:51 AM
OCZ Agility 3, no problems with Mountain Lion so far. Works perfectly, previously had FW 2.15 and then updated to 2.22 but neither have had problems.

simon999
Aug 13, 2012, 03:49 AM
I, too, thought it was a neat coincidence that both Apple and Intel are made of 5 letters.

I'm glad it worked for you too. The only reason `sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/` would cause problems is if you had a bad kext file. I think changing "APPLE" to all zeros is a dangerous thing, because from what I can tell they use series of null-terminated strings... Adding extra zeros could mess things up (it might be just by chance that it worked before). Another potential reason things might go wrong is if the file permissions are poorly set (which can happen if you replace the kext file with another version), but this is just a guess.

If you have SSD support at "Yes" now and your boot time is good, you probably don't have to do the command again.

I'm actually an indie software developer working on some experimental free tools (https://github.com/shurcooL/Conception), so I could definitely use some $ support to keep me going.

There's a PayPal Donate button at the bottom of my site (http://www.cse.yorku.ca/~shuryork/). Thanks a lot. :)

Thanks Dimitri. That makes total sense. Have sent you a donation.
Best wishes,
Simon

shurcooL
Aug 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks Dimitri. That makes total sense. Have sent you a donation.
Best wishes,
Simon
Thank you very much Simon, very kind of you!

IrvineKwang
Aug 22, 2012, 02:52 AM

Hi shurcooL,

I'm wondering...
If my ssd was " Plextor"...more than 5 letters,
What should I do ??

Need some advice,

Thanks!!

Irvine

shurcooL
Aug 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
Hi shurcooL,

I'm wondering...
What should I do ??

Need some advice,

Thanks!!

Irvine
The fact it's more than 5 letters is not an issue, as far as I can tell. Apple basically checks the first 9 characters of your SSD model identifier and matches it to "APPLE SSD". If it matches, TRIM support is enabled.

So you have to look at your SSD model identifier, and take the first 9 characters, whatever they may be, and replace the "APPLE SSD" 9 character string in IOAHCIBlockStorage file with your 9 characters. I believe this should work.

You can find your SSD model identifer in the System Information app:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3830/imagees.png

For you, it'll probably be something like "Plextor SSDwhateverwhatever" and you take the first 9 chars, meaning "Plextor S".

shurcooL
Aug 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
Ok, despite being only 7 MB, the 10.8.1 update managed to change the IOAHCIBlockStorage file and hence break the TRIM support hack.

When I went about applying it again, I've noticed they've changed the IOAHCIBlockStorage format slightly.

In 10.8, the "APPLE SSD" string was mentioned only once in the entire file:

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1577/imagevc.png

But in 10.8.1, there is "APPLE SSD" and later on there's another "APPLE SSD TS" string, which appears to have something to do with MacBookAir5,1 and MacBookAir5,2 models (the current mid 2012 models).

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6357/imageji.png

I've changed just the first occurrence of "APPLE SSD" to "INTEL SSD", leaving the second "APPLE SSD TS" as it was, and it worked fine. Now I have TRIM support on my MacBookPro8,1 with an Intel SSD again (with 15 second boot time).

My guess is that the second "APPLE SSD TS" string is used for MacBookAir5,1 and MacBookAir5,2 models only, and the first "APPLE SSD" string is used for all other MacBook models. But so far this is just an educated guess, so if anyone has any info to add about it, please do.

minchman
Aug 23, 2012, 10:54 PM

Dimitri,
May I ask how you go about editing those letters? I just purchased the Sandisk SSD, and will try to change the letters to the first 9 characters. I probably shouldn't be messing around with this, if I have to ask, but I'm curious. Thanks in advance.

----------

Hi shurcooL,

I'm wondering...
What should I do ??

Need some advice,

Thanks!!

Irvine

Irvine,
Did it work for you? Thanks!

shurcooL
Aug 23, 2012, 11:08 PM
Dimitri,
May I ask how you go about editing those letters? I just purchased the Sandisk SSD, and will try to change the letters to the first 9 characters.
I use a free OS X app called Hex Fiend (http://ridiculousfish.com/hexfiend/), but any hex editor will do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_editor

It's like a text editor, except lower level... Instead of editing characters, you can edit bits/bytes of the file. You should understand the concepts of bits, bytes, binary, hexadecimal, ascii...

I probably shouldn't be messing around with this, if I have to ask, but I'm curious.
That is very good advice, actually. I wouldn't recommend you edit a kernel file until you're pretty comfortable with what you're doing (and have a backup). It's very easy to mess things up otherwise. You can practice with editing some harmless text files, image files, etc.

minchman
Aug 24, 2012, 01:26 AM
I use a free OS X app called Hex Fiend (http://ridiculousfish.com/hexfiend/), but any hex editor will do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_editor

It's like a text editor, except lower level... Instead of editing characters, you can edit bits/bytes of the file. You should understand the concepts of bits, bytes, binary, hexadecimal, ascii...

That is very good advice, actually. I wouldn't recommend you edit a kernel file until you're pretty comfortable with what you're doing (and have a backup). It's very easy to mess things up otherwise. You can practice with editing some harmless text files, image files, etc.

Thanks again, Dimitri.

What are your thoughts on Grant Pannell's terminal method for enabling TRIM (which has been updated to work with 10.8.1)? As I'm not familiar with UNIX commands, are his suggestions similar to your manual patch? Thank you again.

shurcooL
Aug 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
What are your thoughts on Grant Pannell's terminal method for enabling TRIM (which has been updated to work with 10.8.1)? As I'm not familiar with UNIX commands, are his suggestions similar to your manual patch? Thank you again.
I created my method by analyzing his, so credit goes to him for that.

The only difference is that he replaces the "APPLE SSD" string with 9 zeros, which seems to work but I think there's a slightly higher chance of it causing problems, because it changes the number of null-terminated strings in that file, and hence their order (but this might be harmless - it depends on how that file is read).

Replacing "APPLE SSD" with "INTEL SSD" or whatever seems like a slightly safer thing to do in my opinion, because it keeps the file size the same, and null-terminated strings are unchanged, except the contents. That's why I opt to do it my way.

It's actually fairly easy, I've made a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_wx5p0YkHs

It's also possible to change Grant Pannell's command-line method to replace "APPLE SSD" with something other than 9 zeros...

minchman
Aug 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
I created my method by analyzing his, so credit goes to him for that.

The only difference is that he replaces the "APPLE SSD" string with 9 zeros, which seems to work but I think there's a slightly higher chance of it causing problems, because it changes the number of null-terminated strings in that file, and hence their order (but this might be harmless - it depends on how that file is read).

Replacing "APPLE SSD" with "INTEL SSD" or whatever seems like a slightly safer thing to do in my opinion, because it keeps the file size the same, and null-terminated strings are unchanged, except the contents. That's why I opt to do it my way.

It's actually fairly easy, I've made a short video:

It's also possible to change Grant Pannell's command-line method to replace "APPLE SSD" with something other than 9 zeros...

I appreciate you spending the extra time making that instructional video. It was very helpful, so thank you a million times!

Please let me know if this step-by-step tutorial is correct.

1) patch IOAHCIBlockStorage file, changing only APPLE SSD with the first 9 characters in your SSD model. (REMEMBERING TO BACKUP THE ORIGINAL) (anyone with the 2012 macbook air should carefully re-read this thread)

2) replace the original file in (simply dragging and dropping?): /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage
with the newly patched file

3) run this in the terminal: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

4) reboot

Am I missing any details?

Also, is it true that I will have to do this after every 10.8.x update?

shurcooL
Aug 24, 2012, 01:29 PM
I appreciate you spending the extra time making that instructional video. It was very helpful, so thank you a million times!

Please let me know if this step-by-step tutorial is correct.

Am I missing any details?

Overall your steps are good, but you are missing one important detail. You have to consider the file permissions. If you do this command:

ls -la /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

You will see something like this:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 180168 23 Aug 13:29 /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

It's best to keep those permissions, especially the file owner (root) and group (wheel, in my case) as they are. It might be harmless to change them, but it's better not to take the risk. The less things you change, the better. But as they are, the file is not writable, so you have to change that temporarily in order to patch it.

I've made some amendments to your steps:

1) REMEMBER TO BACKUP THE ORIGINAL *first*...

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage ~/Desktop/IOAHCIBlockStorage.backup

and only then...

2a) enable write permission on the IOAHCIBlockStorage file, so that you can modify it directly (this is the easiest way to keep the original file owner, group)

sudo chmod o+w /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

2b) patch IOAHCIBlockStorage file, changing APPLE SSD (AND ONLY those 9 characters) with the first 9 characters in your SSD model. (anyone with the 2012 macbook air is probably not going to be reading this thread, because he/she will already have a built-in APPLE SSD and TRIM will enabled by default, but yes, in theory these directions wouldn't work for them)

Here's a YouTube video that shows how to do it using the free Hex Fiend.app:

2c) remove write permission:

sudo chmod o-w /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

3) run this in the terminal (to force your changed file to be used by the system):

you shouldn't see any output. If you do see some warning message saying about the IOAHCIBlockStorage file being corrupted or something, you have to ABORT! Replace the modified file with the backup of the original, and re-do this step. If you go on to restart, you'll most likely end up with a non-booting system (it will still be possible to recover, but it's more trouble - see bottom of this post)

4) reboot

Also, is it true that I will have to do this after every 10.8.x update?
This depends on whether a given update changes the IOAHCIBlockStorage file. If not, you won't have to do it again. If it does, you will. So far, in the last couple of OS X updates, the pattern has been like... 60% of the time you have to redo the patch.

---

If something goes wrong and you can't boot (probably you messed up the IOAHCIBlockStorage file or its permissions), then boot into ML recovery mode, open the terminal and do:

5a) restore IOAHCIBlockStorage from your backup
sudo cp ~/Desktop/IOAHCIBlockStorage.backup /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage
(You'll have to modify paths appropriately, because the root of your SSD inside Recovery mode will be /Volumes/ or something)

5b) (optional) restore its file permissions, perhaps you'll need to change group via chgrp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chgrp) command...
5c) run this so your changes will be applied:
5d) restart, and hopefully you're back at square one

CLuv
Aug 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
Agility 3 480GB drive installed, fresh install of 10.8.1 via USB, no issues at all. Loving it, compared to the stock 500GB drive that was originally in my late 2011 MacBook Pro. TRIM not enabled due to the information provided by OCZ and OWC about the use of Sandforce. Disabled the motion sensor though.

rebibo
Aug 30, 2012, 12:01 PM
i just installed a Samsung SSD 830, and changing APPLE SSD for SAMSUNG S on IOAHCIBlockStorage, just made TRIM enabled for me on Mountain Lion 10.8.1

Thanks a Lot

shurcooL
Aug 31, 2012, 12:45 AM
i just installed a Samsung SSD 830, and changing APPLE SSD for SAMSUNG S on IOAHCIBlockStorage, just made TRIM enabled for me on Mountain Lion 10.8.1

Thanks a Lot
You're welcome, and thanks for confirming my theory that this 9-character technique works for non-Intel SSDs too. :P

IrvineKwang
Aug 31, 2012, 10:36 AM
The fact it's more than 5 letters is not an issue, as far as I can tell. Apple basically checks the first 9 characters of your SSD model identifier and matches it to "APPLE SSD". If it matches, TRIM support is enabled.

So you have to look at your SSD model identifier, and take the first 9 characters, whatever they may be, and replace the "APPLE SSD" 9 character string in IOAHCIBlockStorage file with your 9 characters. I believe this should work.

You can find your SSD model identifer in the System Information app:

Image (http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3830/imagees.png)

For you, it'll probably be something like "Plextor SSDwhateverwhatever" and you take the first 9 chars, meaning "Plextor S".

THANK YOU!! shurcooL,
Replace "APPLE SSD" to "PLEXTOR P"
Enabled the Trim perfectly ...

Really appreciated.
By the way,I'm using plextor m5 pro@Mountain Lion 10.8.1

thermodynamic
Sep 4, 2012, 09:20 PM
As widely reported elsewhere, SandForce SSDs do NOT require TRIM!

THANKS! :D

With Intel's 180GB SATA6 drive out for $200, I'll take the splurge and not bother with third party hacks...

I'll have to reinstall SL from scratch, but it'll be worth it... :D Especially as I've three VMs (70GB total) and 80GB worth of apps... I've a optical bay drive kit to put in another HDD if needed... well, SL or ML; the battery life reports I'd read are depressing, even if I like many of ML's new features... :(

MaxPower72
Sep 5, 2012, 10:13 AM
Anyone has a 830 with trim enabled? I'm getting 2 Sammies tomorrow and I'd like to know if I should enable the trim or not on ML
thank you

sub5pac3
Sep 6, 2012, 06:04 AM
You're welcome, and thanks for confirming my theory that this 9-character technique works for non-Intel SSDs too. :P

Apple may have changed something recently, but I just tried this procedure tonight on my late 2011 Macbook Pro with ML 10.8.1 with a Crucial M4 512, and after doing the "touch" step it complained about detecting some kind of change in the IOAHCIBlockStorage file and said it would not be able to use it. I foolishly ignored this (thinking it would somehow not apply after a reboot) and I got the gray screen of death spinning wheel on boot. My drive is encrypted with file vault, so after much searching I found a way to mount it using the recovery mode, then drive utility, unlock volume, exit drive utility, open terminal, then go to /Volumes/ and find the encrypted partition there. Finally, I was then able to use the recovery procedure listed above (with slight path modifications), which did put me back at square one (after many late hours cursing that I ever even found this page).

All readers here should be advised that messing with this file can and will F things up very badly, preventing the system from booting. If one still wishes to give it a try, be sure to have not only a few good, recent backups, but the time to wait for the restore and the time required to try and fix things when it fails.

I get the feeling that Apple is doing this in order to get customers to buy their product exclusively, at a 100-400% markup. And where is the support from the manufacturers? Crucial, Intel, Samsung, etc: we could use some help here if you want us to continue buying your products. No TRIM support = no further revenue from me or others like me (to Apple or the drive vendors).

Lastly, this is not meant as a rant against the hardware hackers who discovered this -- that was in fact very clever and the world needs more people like that. I am very upset with especially Apple though, this is total BS.

rheb1026
Sep 6, 2012, 10:28 AM
Anyone has a 830 with trim enabled? I'm getting 2 Sammies tomorrow and I'd like to know if I should enable the trim or not on ML
thank you

I had TRIM enabled on 10.6 for a long time, but didn't re-enable it for 10.8. I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in performance, so I'm not going to bother with it for now

tekmoe
Sep 6, 2012, 10:35 AM
Have been running Mountain Lion on a Crucial M4 256GB drive in my 2010 MacBook Pro for the last few weeks. No issues whatsoever.

shurcooL
Sep 6, 2012, 02:38 PM
Apple may have changed something recently, but I just tried this procedure tonight on my late 2011 Macbook Pro with ML 10.8.1 with a Crucial M4 512, and after doing the "touch" step it complained about detecting some kind of change in the IOAHCIBlockStorage file and said it would not be able to use it. I foolishly ignored this (thinking it would somehow not apply after a reboot) and I got the gray screen of death spinning wheel on boot. My drive is encrypted with file vault, so after much searching I found a way to mount it using the recovery mode, then drive utility, unlock volume, exit drive utility, open terminal, then go to /Volumes/ and find the encrypted partition there. Finally, I was then able to use the recovery procedure listed above (with slight path modifications), which did put me back at square one (after many late hours cursing that I ever even found this page).

All readers here should be advised that messing with this file can and will F things up very badly, preventing the system from booting. If one still wishes to give it a try, be sure to have not only a few good, recent backups, but the time to wait for the restore and the time required to try and fix things when it fails.

I get the feeling that Apple is doing this in order to get customers to buy their product exclusively, at a 100-400% markup. And where is the support from the manufacturers? Crucial, Intel, Samsung, etc: we could use some help here if you want us to continue buying your products. No TRIM support = no further revenue from me or others like me (to Apple or the drive vendors).

Lastly, this is not meant as a rant against the hardware hackers who discovered this -- that was in fact very clever and the world needs more people like that. I am very upset with especially Apple though, this is total BS.
Hey,

I'm glad you were able to undo the changes and get a working system back.

What you've described is exactly what happened to me some time ago. That's when I discovered the recovery steps, and like you, I was able to get back to square one.

I, too, got a message about IOAHCIBlockStorage being modified/unusable after doing the "sudo touch ..." step (or its equivalent). I also ignored it, and was greeted by a non-booting system after restarting. Then I got into recovery mode and was able to find a way to undo my changes.

I attributed that problem to me messing up (or not paying enough attention) to the permissions of the IOAHCIBlockStorage file that I modified. Next thing, I re-did the entire procedure except keeping the IOAHCIBlockStorage's file permissions, owner and everything exactly the same as the original, and doing "sudo touch ..." (or its equivalent) resulted in no warning messages, and upon a reboot I had a working TRIM-enabled system.

Now that you've messed it up and were able to recover, I can recommend you try again, but pay extra attention to changing only the 9-characters and nothing else. The IOAHCIBlockStorage file size, permissions, owner, etc. should be the same as the original. If you do "sudo touch ..." and see the same message, then replace the file with the original and do "sudo touch ..." again, and hopefully you'll be fine. If you don't see any messages, perhaps that's an indicator of success.

Let me know if you decide to give it another shot. Good luck.

nangariel
Sep 7, 2012, 01:20 PM
Everything working fine for me (using the method described above - thanks shurcooL :D), you must've made a mistake somewhere, sub5pac3, be careful about the permissions as shurcooL said...

Just a proof here ;):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16421862/screen.png

nizmoz
Sep 7, 2012, 10:40 PM
Trim enabler doesn't work with my 830 SSD on my 2012 MBP. Not sure why but it says it's enabled but it doesn't support my SSD? I have restarted. I also can't figure out how to do it the other way you guys say here. :(

shurcooL
Sep 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
Just updated to OS X 10.8.2. It reverted the TRIM hack, so I had to redo it. Followed my own steps (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15519420&postcount=94) (as to not waste time trying to remember the exact steps) and viola. :)

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8325/imagews.png

minchman
Sep 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
Just updated to OS X 10.8.2. It reverted the TRIM hack, so I had to redo it. Followed my own steps (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15519420&postcount=94) (as to not waste time trying to remember the exact steps) and viola. :)

Image (http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8325/imagews.png)

Thank you for confirming, shurcooL!

Jabberwockish
Sep 19, 2012, 11:50 PM
I registered for a MacRumors forum account solely to thank you for posting such clear instructions. I much prefer to do my OS tweaking by hand so long as I can clearly understand the changes I'm making, and modifying strings with a hex editor is much clearer to me than trying to parse perl commands. ;)

Anyway, I can confirm your method works flawlessly with a SanDisk Extreme 240GB (SDSSDX-240G-G25) as my boot drive for OS X 10.8.2. (Whether the SSD's firmware is properly implementing TRIM is another matter.)

Thanks a bunch!

Reason077
Sep 20, 2012, 02:46 AM
I had TRIM enabled on 10.6 for a long time, but didn't re-enable it for 10.8. I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in performance, so I'm not going to bother with it for now

You won't notice any immediate difference, but performance will tend to degrade over time without TRIM. I would suggest re-enabling it.

krspkbl
Sep 20, 2012, 03:02 AM
I'm running a 256GB Crucial M4 (0309) with no problems. Computer specs in my signature.

I updated it to 000F but, maybe I was just imagining it, I felt that it was using more battery. I downgraded back to 0309 and it works absolutely fine so I'm just gonna keep it as is.

I also enabled TRIM but apparently these drives don't need it (they have their own garbage collection thing or something). I see no reason to keep it enabled so I won't.

My computer feels brand new since upgraded to SSD. If you have the money then BUY ONE!

Bigmacduck
Sep 20, 2012, 06:10 PM
For MBP (2011) owners: I have the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD and it works perfect on ML

For MacMini (2010) owners: I have the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3G SSD and it works perfect on ML

For MBA (2009) owners: I have the OWC Aura Pro MBA SSD and it works perfect on ML

I was so happy with my first OWC SSD in my MBA (2009 Rev C) that I became a repeat buyer. Excellent performance, excellent compatibility, extremely reliable.

I prefer reliability and compatibility over maximum performance. That's why I do not switch manufacturer (or at least not as long as I don't have issues with OWC), I stick to what works for me.

I had two OCZ some years ago and one Crucial (C300). Had problems with stuttering and that's why I will NEVER use their products ever again.

RAWR.
Sep 21, 2012, 08:45 AM
Hi there,

I installed a Samsung 830 256 GB SSD into my MacBook Pro (Early 2011) last Tuesday, did a clean install of Mountain Lion, and enabled TRIM with the TRIM Enabler App.
Everything runs just fine, except for the fact that since then I lost about 2 GB of space on my drive, and I have no idea what the reason could be, no new apps were installed or anything.
I'd really appreciate any ideas on how to stop this and, better yet, gain the space back.

Thanks!

JoeRito
Sep 21, 2012, 10:46 AM
Corvair 3 Xtreme no issues with ML

schrott
Oct 8, 2012, 10:00 AM
Ok, despite being only 7 MB, the 10.8.1 update managed to change the IOAHCIBlockStorage file and hence break the TRIM support hack.

When I went about applying it again, I've noticed they've changed the IOAHCIBlockStorage format slightly.

In 10.8, the "APPLE SSD" string was mentioned only once in the entire file:

Image (http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1577/imagevc.png)

But in 10.8.1, there is "APPLE SSD" and later on there's another "APPLE SSD TS" string, which appears to have something to do with MacBookAir5,1 and MacBookAir5,2 models (the current mid 2012 models).

Image (http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6357/imageji.png)

I've changed just the first occurrence of "APPLE SSD" to "INTEL SSD", leaving the second "APPLE SSD TS" as it was, and it worked fine. Now I have TRIM support on my MacBookPro8,1 with an Intel SSD again (with 15 second boot time).

My guess is that the second "APPLE SSD TS" string is used for MacBookAir5,1 and MacBookAir5,2 models only, and the first "APPLE SSD" string is used for all other MacBook models. But so far this is just an educated guess, so if anyone has any info to add about it, please do.

It works my SSD:

WinKom Pro 240GB - Sata3 - Intel NAND flash sandforce controller 2281, MacBook Pro mid 2012

ZforZelda
Dec 4, 2012, 04:28 AM
does anyone experienced any crash after enable trim? I'm using Mac mini 2010, first I suspected the 16GB RAM upgrade(http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16380302&postcount=30), but the problem seems gone after the TRIM hack been reverted, I'm not quite sure since the problem is very difficult to reproduce, so I'm asking if anybody has similar issues.

ihatesleep
Dec 7, 2012, 01:13 PM
Just updated to OSX 10.8.2 build 12C3012 and is still working on my Macbook Pro, 13" Mid 2012 with an OCZ-VERTEX4.

Thanks!!

greenkaktus
Dec 11, 2012, 02:49 PM
Here (https://gist.github.com/3334193) & here (http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/) found automatic *.sh script & additional instruction. Very fine!

Vrasteophwaaagh
Jan 18, 2013, 12:20 PM
ShurcooL:

The issue I'm still having is locating the original of the IOAHCIBlockStorage file. The *backup* copy appears on my desktop, just as your original does. However, searching my drive and looking in the Library/Extensions folder, I can't find the original version to modify as per your method in post #94. Can I simply duplicate the IOAHCIBlockStorage.backup file, change the suffix from .backup to .original, perform the edit and then drop that file into the Extensions folder? If not, is there another way to find that original file?

Max(IT)
Jan 19, 2013, 06:45 PM
Samsung 840 240 Gb with a clean ML install and TRIM enabler : working flawlessly for me.

shurcooL
Mar 15, 2013, 12:21 AM
I just did this again for 10.8.3, the steps (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15519420&postcount=94) worked as usual.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2435/imagedq.png

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8162/imagezuf.png

IrvineKwang
Mar 15, 2013, 02:14 AM
I just did this again for 10.8.3, the steps (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15519420&postcount=94) worked as usual.

Image (http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2435/imagedq.png)

Image (http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8162/imagezuf.png)

Thanks You shurcooL!!:D

schrott
Mar 16, 2013, 08:22 AM

Image (http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2435/imagedq.png)

Image (http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8162/imagezuf.png)

I'm really happy. It works fine! :):):)

YuckAndMuck
Mar 18, 2013, 09:14 PM

I have a 2011 MBP 17" with 2 internal drives married together as a "Fusion" drive; a 512GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD and the original 500GB HD (swapped in place of the DVD drive).

I had enabled the TRIM setting on the SSD a while back (running 10.8.2) using the steps (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15519420&postcount=94) above. Yesterday, I updated to 10.8.3 using the combo updater, which wiped my mods to IOAHCIBlockStorage, so I applied the steps (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15519420&postcount=94) above again, including fixing permissions, touch on Extensions, etc..

Not sure why, but the TRIM setting refused to take (tried several restarts, shutdowns, etc.) until I booted from an external drive and then re-booted from the internal "Fusion" drive again. After this, the TRIM setting shows as Yes (enabled) again. I'm pretty sure I had to do something similar the last time I attempted the setting as well.

Thought I'd mention it here in case it helps others.

jorgk
Mar 20, 2013, 03:52 PM

Having a Crucial M4 (256) installed when under Lion. SSD FW 0309 (came with 000F, but changed immediately "down" to 0309. Not sure this was needed). Later moved to ML (clean install, then using Migration assistant). There enabled TRIM (see <http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion>). Having had to re-enable TRIM with each ML update.

Everything is just fine. MBP, 15", late-2011 :D

Oli3000
Apr 7, 2013, 04:28 PM
I cannot get this working on my 21 mid 2011 iMac. I create the backup, run the permissions in terminal, open the file in system/library/extensions and edit the first APPLE SSD string (which has macbook air etc. after it), save it, run the following lot of code and reboot. No change, and no errors!

I'm using an Intel 335 240gb SSD - the ID for it in system report is INTEL SSD so that is correct, and the edited file displays the edit after reboot, so it is not reverting for any reason!

Strange!

YuckAndMuck
Apr 7, 2013, 06:18 PM
I cannot get this working on my 21 mid 2011 iMac. I create the backup, run the permissions in terminal, open the file in system/library/extensions and edit the first APPLE SSD string (which has macbook air etc. after it), save it, run the following lot of code and reboot. No change, and no errors!

I'm using an Intel 335 240gb SSD - the ID for it in system report is INTEL SSD so that is correct, and the edited file displays the edit after reboot, so it is not reverting for any reason!

Strange!

Per my earlier post: After making the change to the Intel SSD, did you try booting from an alternate/external drive and then booting again from the Intel SSD? I don't know why doing this matters, but it was the key for me. Hope it helps.

davidlv
Apr 8, 2013, 01:42 AM

Strange!
I am running the Intel 335 240GB in my MBP, used ChameleonSSDOptimizer to enable trim, works fine. Enabled noatime too.
http://chameleon.alessandroboschini.it/index.php
:cool:

Oli3000
Apr 8, 2013, 11:50 AM
Chameleon just gave me a non-booting computer! I installed ML on my other HDD and corrected the extensions from there.

I do have it working now! Worked out I was an idiot and was replacing the patched file at the wrong location... Now all sorted! Thanks!

schrott
Sep 15, 2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks You shurcooL!!:D

I'm happy that it works again!
WinKom Pro 240GB - Sata3 - Intel NAND flash sandforce controller 2281, MacBook Pro mid 2012

IrvineKwang
Oct 22, 2013, 11:30 PM
Hi everyone,

Will this steps also work with OSX 10.9?:confused:

Thanks!

schrott
Oct 23, 2013, 05:27 AM
1. Datei "IOAHCIBlockStorage" Schreibschutz mit "Rechtsklick" entfernt bzw. meinen Benutzer*mit Schreibrechten*hinzugefügt.
—> /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

2.Datei "IOAHCIBlockStorage" mit*HEX FIEND (download aus Internet) mit "Rechtsklick" öffnen und über Dateisuche*"APPLE SSD" -> „Name SSD“ (exakt 9 Zeichen, nicht mehr) überschreiben und danach abspeichern (Original überschrieben).

3. Schreibschutz wieder entfernt bzw. meinen Benutzer entfernt.

4.*run this in the terminal (to force your changed file to be used by the system): Passwort für*meinen*Benutzer*wird*abgefragt
Code:

5. Neustart

shurcooL
Dec 22, 2013, 01:32 AM
10.9.1 also. Same as before.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4143/1zx2.png

The news of Ubuntu 14.04 having TRIM on by default reminded me to do this again; I've stopped keeping track as of a few updates ago lol.