PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Provide Adapter for Smaller iPhone Dock Connector

MacRumors
Jul 23, 2012, 01:22 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/apple-to-provide-adapter-for-smaller-iphone-dock-connector/)

With Reuters becoming the latest publication to report that the next iPhone will include a smaller dock connector (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/reuters-confirms-a-smaller-dock-connector-and-relocated-headphone-jack-on-next-iphone/), many are continuing to wonder what will happen with legacy accessories that take advantage of the current 30-pin dock connector that has been in use since 2003.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/newdock.png

Casings for iPhone 4S (left) and claimed next-generation iPhone (right) showing significant reduction in dock connector size
iMore, which was first to report (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/23/apple-readying-miniaturized-dock-connector-for-future-iphones/) on the smaller dock connector back in February, has now confirmed with its sources (http://www.imore.com/apple-will-provide-adapter-new-smaller-dock-connector-set-debut-iphone-5) that Apple will indeed be offering an adapter to provide backwards compatibility with accessories designed for the 30-pin connector.While this seems like it should have been filed in the obvious drawer, because of all the questions we've been getting, and posts we've been seeing, iMore reached out to the original sources that gave us the new Dock connector story way back in February just to make doubly sure -- and yes, there will be an adapter for the iPhone 5's smaller Dock connector that will let it work with many of the accessories designed for the old 30-pin Dock connector.

We haven't heard if one will be included in the box along with the iPhone 5, or will only be sold separately, but either way, come October, you'll be able to get a new-to-old Dock adapter from Apple.The report notes that some accessories may not be compatible with the adapter given their fit, but many accessories will continue to work using the forthcoming adapter.

While Apple is generally not afraid to abandon legacy standards in order to make changes advancing new standards or designs, the company has sometimes offered adapters to help ease the transitions. Perhaps the latest example is Apple's new MagSafe 2 power connector (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/retina-display-macbook-pro-includes-thinner-magsafe-2-power-port/) found on the new MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro. Apple offers a separate adapter priced at $9.99 to allow users to use older MagSafe power supplies with the new machines. The company is also including a free adapter (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/apple-including-free-magsafe-2-converter-with-thunderbolt-display/) with the Apple Thunderbolt Display, which still uses the original MagSafe connector for providing power to portable machines.

Article Link: Apple to Provide Adapter for Smaller iPhone Dock Connector (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/apple-to-provide-adapter-for-smaller-iphone-dock-connector/)

adztaylor
Jul 23, 2012, 01:22 PM
Course they will, it will be sold separately I bet as Apple loves those costly adapters.

keysofanxiety
Jul 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
Honestly, how on Earth is this front-page news?

Z400Racer37
Jul 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
they had one for magsafe, why not this? ill wait for some generic ones on ebay for $.50 though lol.

shoelessone
Jul 23, 2012, 01:26 PM
shut up and take my adapter

D.T.
Jul 23, 2012, 01:27 PM

Based on the all the complaint posts in the thread about the new dock connector, Iíd say this news is just a little cheese to go with all that whine...

:)

east85
Jul 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
Adapters are usually pretty ugly and the antithesis of simplicity.

Still, I guess it's good that they're providing one for consumption.

Gix1k
Jul 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
Wasn't there another thread on this earlier??

Aidan5806
Jul 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
While this is a given I'd like to point out that the major difference between this and the MagSafe 2 adapter would have to be the fact that this adapter will have to carry data as well as power. Just a small obstacle that will probably result in a higher cost than the MagSafe adapter.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
Course they will, it will be sold separately I bet as Apple loves those costly adapters.

yep. For $29.99. They will cost Apple less than 1.00 a piece to make them. It will be nearly pure easy profit for them.

As what will not work. My guess is anything that has to do with Video (unless it is HDMI out) because those would be the 11 pins I am guess they are removing.

gpat
Jul 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
Breaking news: ice is cold

Rocketman
If Apple made some sort of converter dev kit the many devices with varying interfaces could form converter co-ops and best practices more easily. It would be very eco-friendly and keep a bunch of stuff out of landfills. Little thing big impact.

And, no, changing the micro-device plug standard after 10 years is not objectionable.

Rocketman

radge
Let the "It's not the iPhone 5!" comments begin...

Technarchy
Jul 23, 2012, 01:34 PM
I would say this is a given...

Cryptan
Has anyone pointed out that the alleged new iPhone in that photo looks to be wider than the iPhone 4S?

Edit: Never mind. I see what is going on in the photo now.

pgiguere1

Some people own 300$+ speaker docks and it's good to know you'll still be able to actually dock your iPhone in them.

GREEN4U
Jul 23, 2012, 01:35 PM
New dock connector will be magsafe, people. They wouldn't change the design otherwise.

rickdollar
Jul 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
While this is a given I'd like to point out that the major difference between this and the MagSafe 2 adapter would have to be the fact that this adapter will have to carry data as well as power. Just a small obstacle that will probably result in a higher cost than the MagSafe adapter.

Speaking of MagSafe..... I would love a MagSafe connection on the iPhone. Not much of a chance of that happening, though.

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
yep. For $29.99. They will cost Apple less than 1.00 a piece to make them. It will be nearly pure easy profit for them.

As what will not work. My guess is anything that has to do with Video (unless it is HDMI out) because those would be the 11 pins I am guess they are removing.

For $29.99? I say that's very unlikely, since Apple sold its MagSafe adapter for ten bucks.

unplugme71
Jul 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
Has anyone pointed out that the alleged new iPhone in that photo looks to be wider than the iPhone 4S?

It' not. Just the illusion from the angle in the photo

----------

For $29.99? I say that's very unlikely, since Apple sold its MagSafe adapter for ten bucks.

Apple's pricing is $19.99

stanton
Jul 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
Wasn't there another thread on this earlier??

Last time I remember them making an adapter was for the EU standards, microUSB. (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD099ZM/A) I really wish that they would just switch to it fully without having any adapters at all.

Bobtodd
Jul 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
Some people own 300$+ speaker docks and it's good to know you'll still be able to actually dock your iPhone in them.

If they can afford a $300 + speaker they can afford a $20 adaptor.

alexander25
Jul 23, 2012, 01:40 PM

i guess i was the only one, but i always knew that if they were to shrink the connector that there would be an accessory made to convert it.

i always shook my head at anyone who thought otherwise.. i mean, it's an easy way for apple to make money + keep customers happy while making a slow transition to the new connector.

quietstormSD
Jul 23, 2012, 01:40 PM

This is very true. I've bought 3rd party USB to iPod Shuffle connectors (the little 3 inch ones) from ebay that were like $1-$2. (Apple sells replacements for $20, although there are 2 in the box.) Everyone one of the connectors I purchased for cheap on ebay eventually crapped out on me. It would charge the iPod Shuffle, but wouldn't sync music (data) from iTunes when connected to my Mac.

cargath
Jul 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
Wait wait - i remember one side of the iPad Mini mockups locking exactly like this, but people claimed "it's not a smaller dock connector, it's a Kensington lock". So it's a smaller dock connector after all, and suddenly the iPad Mini seems even more legit.

CapnJackGig
Jul 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
Never doubted there would be one. Also never doubted that it will not be in the box nor that it wont be sold for more than 1000 percent of what it cost to make.

nagromme
Jul 23, 2012, 01:42 PM
Only 10 years with the old connector? I was just starting to get used to it!

Why must you advance so rapidly, Apple? :mad: :p

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
Apple's pricing is $19.99
No it isn't. At least not in the US Apple store. $9.99 is what I paid, and $9.99 is what they show online.

pgiguere1
i guess i was the only one, but i always knew that if they were to shrink the connector that there would be an accessory made to convert it.*
i always shook my head at anyone who thought otherwise.. i mean, it's an easy way for apple to make money + keep customers happy while making a slow transition to the new connector.
I never talked about the price, I'm saying the point of this front page news is to inform those people this adapter will actually exist (if the rumor is true). There could have been a technical limitation that prevents it.

Howardchief
But what about the potential moving of the headphone jack? I like it on top. Not sure I'd like on the bottom.

... That's what she said.

SilianRail
Jul 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
Adapters are usually pretty ugly and the antithesis of simplicity.

Still, I guess it's good that they're providing one for consumption.http://wpuploads.appadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/apple-micro-usb-adapter.jpg

Doesn't look bad.

HatterZero
Jul 23, 2012, 01:44 PM

It may cost them 1 dollar for the parts, they have to pay for delivery of the components to create the adapter, pay the workers if put together by hand, if not put together by hand the guys who have to create the machines to make the adapters, than the cost of creating the packaging including the materials for that and the marketing team to create the look of the packaging the plastic inside, the cost of delivering it to the store.

I am sure apple will make money the margin in the item is probably going to be 14 bucks or so per item sold if sold at 30 dollars realistically. I am not defending or condemning just pointing out that Apple is a company for profit and I would bet you everything I own that other companies would do the same practices that apple do if they could.

strausd
Jul 23, 2012, 01:45 PM

Yes, because that is clearly what they have charged in the past.

Oh wait, no its not.

Magsafe adapter is only $9. This adapter definitely won't be $30.

MvdM
Where can we set up a petition against the smaller adapter? It's a stupid decision. I think car and plane companies etc. will think again when Apple comes with a 'new standard'. Apple now has that advantage over the others and when they decide to introduce a new connector that advantage is gone.

rorschach
Speaking of MagSafe..... I would love a MagSafe connection on the iPhone. Not much of a chance of that happening, though.

Wouldn't be much use. The iPhone and iPod are too light for a MagSafe to be effective. It works with the MacBooks because they are heavy enough that they'll stay put if you trip over the cord.

Pompiliu
Jul 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
Thank god apple is gonna offer an adapter. i bet they will sell it separately, at just $29.99.

Sometimes, i hate apple so much!:mad:

Howardchief
Jul 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
Where can we set up a petition against the smaller adapter? It's a stupid decision. I think car and plane companies etc. will think again when Apple comes with a 'new standard'. Apple now has that advantage over the others and when they decide to introduce a new connector that advantage is gone.

aren't a lot of these situations going to be the same for these companies? It's still USB on the other end, right?

benji888
Jul 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
The adapter should make the hardware compatible with virtually all older 30-pin accessories.

Everyone that thinks all 30-pin accessories will be obsolete are incorrect. The pins they are dropping are 99.9% not used. ...I.E.: 8 of the 11 pins being dropped are for firewire connection...does anyone use an iDevice with a firewire cable???

Personally, I welcome the smaller connector, makes room for more useful stuff inside iPhones :D It's also rumored to be compatible with USB micro connectors, as this is a (or going to be a) requirement for all cell phones in the UK. ...and possibly all iDevices will be updated with this connector by the end of the year (IMO), I could see apple dropping the iPod Classic, changing the iPod Nano (a bit larger as last rumored) and dropping the name "Nano" just calling it iPod...iPod shuffle, iPod, iPod Touch, that's it. There's also rumors of a smaller iPad later this year, along with a refreshed iPad that doesn't get as hot, these will also have the new connector.:eek: :cool: :apple:

Check this:
http://www.cultofmac.com/178093/the-future-of-apples-dock-connector-feature/

Veinticinco
Jul 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
It's all very well making an adapter for mains charging, but the design of some high-end docks allow for very little tolerance in terms of the 'fit' and actual dimensions allowed for. At best, there'll be an awkward or raised fit, at worst, an adapter will be unusable for some and make the transition particularly painful.

jon1987
Jul 23, 2012, 01:50 PM
Image (http://wpuploads.appadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/apple-micro-usb-adapter.jpg)

Doesn't look bad.

Got it the wrong way around. You would need to fit the old style into the new style

hobo.hopkins
Jul 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Of course they'll have an adapter. It would be horrific if almost no accessories worked with the new iPhone at launch.

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Thank god apple is gonna offer an adapter. i bet they will sell it separately, at just $29.99.

Sometimes, i hate apple so much!:mad:

Actually, it's going to be $49.99, plus your first born child.

If you're going to imagine something and then hate Apple for your own imagined transgression, you should go bigger.

Though really, you're just hating yourself, since it is all in your head.

MvdM
Jul 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
The adapter should make the hardware compatible with virtually all older 30-pin accessories.

Everyone that thinks all 30-pin accessories will be obsolete are incorrect. The pins they are dropping are 99.9% not used. ...I.E.: 8 of the 11 pins being dropped are for firewire connection...does anyone use an iDevice with a firewire cable???

Personally, I welcome the smaller connector, makes room for more useful stuff inside iPhones :D It's also rumored to be compatible with USB micro connectors, as this is a (or going to be a) requirement for all cell phones in the UK. ...and possibly all iDevices will be updated with this connector by the end of the year (IMO), I could see apple dropping the iPod Classic, changing the iPod Nano (a bit larger as last rumored) and dropping the name "Nano" just calling it iPod...iPod shuffle, iPod, iPod Touch, that's it. There's also rumors of a smaller iPad later this year, along with a refreshed iPad that doesn't get as hot, these will also have the new connector.:eek: :cool: :apple:

Check this:
I don't think it uses that much space on the inside of the phone, where the cables will come together.

----------

Check this:
I don't think it uses that much space on the inside of the phone, where the cables will come together.

Using an adapter will look ugly on some docks. Imagine the $999 dock by Bang and Olufsen with an adapter sitting on it...

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
It's all very well making an adapter for mains charging, but the design of some high-end docks allow for very little tolerance in terms of the 'fit' and actual dimensions allowed for. At best, there'll be an awkward or raised fit, at worst, an adapter will be unusable for some and make the transition particularly painful.

But for many it will be easy and relatively painless, perhaps even pleasurable.

LizKat
Jul 23, 2012, 01:56 PM

It's not a smaller adapter, it's a smaller connector and an ADAPTER is the usual solution to hardware compatibility issues. I remember one that was gigantic back in the day of early Macs. Something to do with a serial port adapter. It was the size of a spice grinder.

Petitions against Apple revising its hardware or software? Shovelling sand against the tide. Money, changing hands or staying in your pocket, that's what is the petition of the marketplace.

doelcm82
Jul 23, 2012, 01:57 PM

----------

Using an adapter will look ugly on some docks. Imagine the $999 dock by Bang and Olufsen with an adapter sitting on it...

Bang and Olufsen will probably find a way to make it look good. They don't want their thousand dollar product to look ugly.

Veinticinco
Jul 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
Bang and Olufsen will probably find a way to make it look good. They don't want their thousand dollar product to look ugly.
Really? Have you seen their Beosound 8?

It's awful. And I say that as a B&O'phile.

http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Company/bangoleu/images/product/detail/964x500/1290545_inuse710x490.jpg

starflyer
Jul 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
Got it the wrong way around. You would need to fit the old style into the new style

Fixed it for him/her.

MvdM
Jul 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
Here we go : http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/say-no-to-smaller-iphone-dock-connector/

Veinticinco
Jul 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
Incidentally, whoever posted that "pins" article on Cult of Mac, thanks, found it interesting.

Particularly the mockup they "borrowed" (albeit citing the Italian source) which does reassure me about tolerances slightly given the use of the USB headphone jack...

http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/original.jpeg

Rogifan
Jul 23, 2012, 02:03 PM
Never doubted there would be one. Also never doubted that it will not be in the box nor that it wont be sold for more than 1000 percent of what it cost to make.

Oh so you've already got the phone and saw there wasn't one in the box? :rolleyes:

oneMadRssn
Jul 23, 2012, 02:05 PM
I echo those people who think the new connector will be compatible with microUSB but not entirely based on it. Meaning, you will be able to plug in microUSB to charge it; and into the same hole you will be plug in the 19-pin dock connector to do fancier things.

cargath
Jul 23, 2012, 02:05 PM
Of course they'll provide an adapter. But it'll still be awkward if not impossible to actually dock the new devices into older docks. That'd be unfortunate when it comes to speaker systems, but for a car manufacturer it'd be a disaster.

Gradivus
Jul 23, 2012, 02:06 PM
Don't forget, Apple is part of that group of phone makers that have agreed to standardise on phone charger connections (to save on waste).

So it looks like we'll have a 'Charger to Smaller-dock-connector' adapter as well.

adztaylor
Here we go : http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/say-no-to-smaller-iphone-dock-connector/

Yeah, because that is gonna make Apple change it's mind :rolleyes:

iThinkIt
Breaking news: ice is cold

Late breaking news.. the ice has melted.
:D

Diaz72
Jul 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
I am so excited for these leaked parts and mock-ups to not be the final design and for the press to look like a bunch of idiots just like they did last year when the teardrop design didn't come to pass!

oneMadRssn
Jul 23, 2012, 02:12 PM
http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/original.jpeg

Why does it need the audio jack in there? Isn't a better audio source in one of the 19-pins of the "new" dock connector?

Also, can we start calling it the "docktor19" and "docktor30"? :D

ChristianJapan
Jul 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
Why does it need the audio jack in there? Isn't a better audio source in one of the 19-pins of the "new" dock connector?

30 - 19 = 11 pins missing; audio could be easy one of those. Plus this wide connector could give better mechanical stability in hooking into the audio plug. Looks possible to me; would I buy: never ...

I use BT-AirPlay and have no other connector needs except power and sync. So some MagSafe would do it for me. And sync these days is mainly wifi

afd
Jul 23, 2012, 02:23 PM
An update of this (http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/) would do well.

Pompiliu
Jul 23, 2012, 02:24 PM
Actually, it's going to be $49.99, plus your first born child.

If you're going to imagine something and then hate Apple for your own imagined transgression, you should go bigger.

Though really, you're just hating yourself, since it is all in your head.

It's all just in my head? LOL
Just go on the apple store to see tens of adapters at 30 dollars. Some of them are at 100. LOL.

P.S. I least i have a head. not sure about you.

benji888
Jul 23, 2012, 02:28 PM
I am so excited for these leaked parts and mock-ups to not be the final design and for the press to look like a bunch of idiots just like they did last year when the teardrop design didn't come to pass!

I know, right? ...like a previous post of a company making cases already? Didn't someone try that last year with the "leaked" teardrop design?

rickdollar
Jul 23, 2012, 02:31 PM
Wouldn't be much use. The iPhone and iPod are too light for a MagSafe to be effective. It works with the MacBooks because they are heavy enough that they'll stay put if you trip over the cord.

Obviously, the MagSafe will not prevent the phone from being pulled to the floor. It is, however, virtually effortless to connect and disconnect.

afd
Jul 23, 2012, 02:31 PM
Like someone said above I'm not to worried about speakers with docks, I can't remember the last time I used mine, I mostly use the airplay and the speakers attached to my Apple TV. More concerned with how much BMW will charge for a cable for my Mini and how long till they get round to releasing one. Maybe Brodit can make a pass-through cradle with a 19 pin plug and old style socket, then original cables can get used?

sulpfiction
Jul 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
New dock connector will be magsafe, people. They wouldn't change the design otherwise.

What do u mean?? It very well might be MagSafe, but it's not the reason they are changing it. The main reason for the change to a smaller connector is to free up space for the headphone jack.. Which, ironically, is being moved to free up space up top as well. Making it MagSafe would just be bonus.

vickj
Jul 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
The question I have: will they make an adapter to move the headphone jack off the bottom of the phone? It's a stupid place to put a headphone jack... and, yes, I know it's not the first time Apple has done this. Doing it more than once doesn't mean it's not stupid... and a bad design...

rvinny
Jul 23, 2012, 02:36 PM
where did you learn to write headlines? "Apple to provide..." - really? did they release an announcement saying that?

sulpfiction
Jul 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
Image (http://wpuploads.appadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/apple-micro-usb-adapter.jpg)

Doesn't look bad.

What's this? The dyslexic version?

ericrwalker
Jul 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
Good point, "sell" or "offer" something along those lines.

where did you learn to write headlines? "Apple to provide..." - really? did they release an announcement saying that?

coquito
Jul 23, 2012, 02:48 PM
Imagine if you could connect it to your Thunderbolt port...one can only dream.

wovel
Jul 23, 2012, 02:59 PM

And give it away with the Cinema display.

----------

Just go on the apple store to see tens of adapters at 30 dollars. Some of them are at 100. LOL.

You can also see them for $10 and in the box with products. What was your point?

oneMadRssn
Jul 23, 2012, 03:03 PM
30 - 19 = 11 pins missing; audio could be easy one of those.

It's most likely not one of the 11 pins missing. On the current 30 pin version: 8 pins are used for firewire, 2 are used for composite video out which has only been used by the ipod photo, and 1 is used for s-video luminance which has also only been used by the ipod photo. There are the most likely 11 that will be removed.

Removing basic audio output would be just silly...

Chupa Chupa
Jul 23, 2012, 03:06 PM
File this story under "D" for duh. But I guess some people needed to read it on the Internets for it to be true.

*Calypso*
Jul 23, 2012, 03:07 PM
Not a surprise that there will be adapters. However, while you can easily use them at cable connections, interposing one between a docking station and the phone makes the whole thing terribly unstable or even unusable, because the phone sits on the docking station rather than properly in it. This is even more of a problem in this particular case, because the new connector is significantly smaller then the old one.

I'm just glad that both my Logitech mobile speaker and my car's hands-free equipment is Bluetooth only.

salmoally
Jul 23, 2012, 03:12 PM
Adaptors, Adaptors everywhere...

ChristianJapan
Jul 23, 2012, 03:13 PM
It's most likely not one of the 11 pins missing. On the current 30 pin version: 8 pins are used for firewire, 2 are used for composite video out which has only been used by the ipod photo, and 1 is used for s-video luminance which has also only been used by the ipod photo. There are the most likely 11 that will be removed.

Removing basic audio output would be just silly...

Ok, that destroy my guessing with a good argument; hard to beat. :)
Keeps me left with the mechanical stability only :eek:

CaryMacGuy
Jul 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
I think this goes without saying...

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 03:32 PM
Thank goodness! I already have a bunch of (fake Chinese) dock connectors and an iPod alarm clock as well as other accessories. I would be seriously @#$%ed without adapters.

chazwatson
Jul 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
To everyone posting these hilarious rants and reactions to rumors, as if Apple has even released a product:

You know what? Don't ever buy a new Apple product then, and you won't have to worry about dock connectors changing and headphone jacks moving. Nobody is forcing you to buy a new iPhone.

And you know what else? You should have considered that one day Apple might release an iPhone with a different form factor or new dock connector, before handing over enormous amounts of money for a sound dock. Blame yourself for choosing that $1000 sound dock that has an ugly upgrade path, or doesn't have an upgrade path at all.

ipoddude56
Jul 23, 2012, 03:38 PM

Totally agree with you and it's not in your head, certainly not in the UK where the cables are £15 (around $23)

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MA591G/B?

and dock conectors £26 (around $40)

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC596ZM/B?fnode=45

I need to find the official ones for $10 :D

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 03:44 PM

What if the person already spent his $300 of spending money on that speaker?

----------

To everyone posting these hilarious rants and reactions to rumors, as if Apple has even released a product:

You know what? Don't ever buy a new Apple product then, and you won't have to worry about dock connectors changing and headphone jacks moving. Nobody is forcing you to buy a new iPhone.

And you know what else? You should have considered that one day Apple might release an iPhone with a different form factor or new dock connector, before handing over enormous amounts of money for a sound dock. Blame yourself for choosing that $1000 sound dock that has an ugly upgrade path, or doesn't have an upgrade path at all.

My dad bought an iPod speaker system in 2002 or so, and it's been supported for 10 years. Of course, it has audio input in the form of a 1/8" jack, but that's not as good as an iPod dock.

So if there weren't any adaptors, nobody in our family would buy the new iPhone.

----------

So that could mean:
1. No more audio through the dock connector. If that is the case, I am selling my AAPL for now.
2. Digital audio through the dock connector. That would be awesome.
3. Analog audio through the dock connector. That would just not make sense for this adapter, but oh well.

mischief
Jul 23, 2012, 03:55 PM
Imagine if you could connect it to your Thunderbolt port...one can only dream.

It's not a dream. It's the most likely outcome. Do a search for "displayport pinouts". The minidisplayport which became TBolt is 20 pins.

Since Apple is quite dedicated to removing everything but TBolt and USB3 it would make sense for them to use a "Micro Thunderbolt" cable for this device and simply remove the entire proprietary docking connector from the equation. The 20th pin could be removed either by removing a channel used for negotiating DP vs Lightpeak traffic or by consolidating a ground.

apolloa
Jul 23, 2012, 04:06 PM
Why are these 'reports' still going on when they are based on rumour? Because NO ONE has seen the iPhone 5, and those that have sure aren't going to talk about it.
This is still a believe it when I see it, however, I CAN VERY easily see Apple charging the exact same 600 pounds for a 32GB version that will come in a tiny box, with a power adapter and charging lead, cheap headphones, and a leaflet, oh and useless stickers, it will then no doubt happily charge me 15 or 20 pounds for an adapter ON TOP of the 600. Because they are utterly greedy like that.

Anyway, the next iPhone is the last one for a long time for me, so long as one way or another I can replace the battery, I'm not changing it for a long time, for the money they charge it should last as long as a 600 pounds watch IMO.

Apple also have to by law provide as standard a USB cable in Europe for charging, so even if it was thunderbolt capable, you will have to buy the cable separately, again more money for Apple.

URFloorMatt
Jul 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
Adapters are usually pretty ugly and the antithesis of simplicity. Generally agree, but I find the MagSafe adapter very elegant. Granted, the overall change there is small. This will be much more dramatic.

pear21
Jul 23, 2012, 04:15 PM
Does this smaller adapter allow for faster transferring of data or is it just another way for apple to make even more money?

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 23, 2012, 04:20 PM

If you have only $300 of spending money for the month, you shouldn't blow it all on a set of speakers. It's called living within your means.

Aidan5806
Jul 23, 2012, 04:23 PM

I see where your coming from. Who knows maybe the new connector will be magnetic.

charlituna
Jul 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
Wait wait - i remember one side of the iPad Mini mockups locking exactly like this, but people claimed "it's not a smaller dock connector, it's a Kensington lock". So it's a smaller dock connector after all, and suddenly the iPad Mini seems even more legit.

A paper 'confirms' a change on the dock connector which they likely can't prove but they don't want to be the only ones not talking about it, and that proves that Apple is making a smaller iPad. That math doesn't work out for me

imageWIS
Jul 23, 2012, 04:26 PM
Thunderbolt? :rolleyes:

charlituna
Jul 23, 2012, 04:30 PM
Where can we set up a petition against the smaller adapter?

Anywhere you want. But you are wasting your time. Apple does what it wNts regardless of public opinion or petitions about rumors. Particularly at this point when the design is locked to start production, if it hasn't already started

----------

Yeah, by revamping their products. Probably already have the specs so they can have the new ones out the week after the announcement

chazwatson
Jul 23, 2012, 04:34 PM
My dad bought an iPod speaker system in 2002 or so, and it's been supported for 10 years. Of course, it has audio input in the form of a 1/8" jack, but that's not as good as an iPod dock.

So if there weren't any adaptors, nobody in our family would buy the new iPhone. There, we don't want it, so we won't buy it :)

10 years is a long life for an electronic thing. That's a pretty good run in itself. At some point you have to let these things go, accept that if you want to upgrade one thing you'll need to upgrade the other, or make use of a converter. That's just the way it is, right? :)

charlituna
Jul 23, 2012, 04:35 PM
Apple also have to by law provide as standard a USB cable in Europe for charging, so even if it was thunderbolt capable, you will have to buy the cable separately, again more money for Apple.

and Apple satisfied that law by creating an adapter

Mad-B-One
Jul 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
So that could mean:
1. No more audio through the dock connector. If that is the case, I am selling my AAPL for now.
2. Digital audio through the dock connector. That would be awesome.
3. Analog audio through the dock connector. That would just not make sense for this adapter, but oh well.

Why would you think that anything essential goes away? Virtually no one needs FireWire on the Dock Connector. Other than audio and video, USB3.0 would be nice for the future. That is definitely possible with 19 pins. 10 years ago, FireWire seemed to have a future but then was pushed aside in favor or USB2.0/3.0 and now Thunderbolt. I don't see where Thunderbold would make sense, so, my bet is on USB3.0 since 5GBit/sec is by far fast enough for a phone for the upcoming years. 1GB of data in 8sec transfer in asyncronous mode one direction is probably faster that the rest of the technology for another couple of years. USB3.0 also makes sense to keep the current chargers using USB out. It also keeps the docks with adapter happy because they still can use sound output.

And about the price and style of adapters: Just look what kind of ugly cases people run around with. It almost hurts to see them. I'm a purist and the only thought on my mind is: Do I want a bumber or not? Right now, the answer is still "No." even though I just got a refurb 4S today (warranty replacement for my 4 32GB CDMA). The old one held up pretty well for 1.5 years.

chazwatson
Jul 23, 2012, 04:38 PM
Does this smaller adapter allow for faster transferring of data or is it just another way for apple to make even more money?

It's just to piss you off.

JAT
Jul 23, 2012, 04:41 PM
Because low voltage is harder to transfer than high voltage?

----------

Then that person has poor financial skills.

chazwatson
Jul 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
Thunderbolt? :rolleyes:

That would alienate a lot of PCs, but there has got to be some progress toward faster loading of content onto these devices. It takes forever and a day to get a 64GB device loaded and ready to use.

Here's to hoping that the next iPhone will have USB 3.0 / Thunderbolt support and the internal I/O upgrade to match.

Kaibelf
Jul 23, 2012, 04:56 PM

It's only costly if you foolishly think that the Apple Store is the only source for them. ANY reseller can sell them for about half the cost. Then there's Amazon and a raft of other sources as well. Also, why shouldn't it be sold separately? Not everyone went and bought a ton of silly accessories

Mad-B-One
Jul 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
That would alienate a lot of PCs, but there has got to be some progress toward faster loading of content onto these devices. It takes forever and a day to get a 64GB device loaded and ready to use.

Here's to hoping that the next iPhone will have USB 3.0 / Thunderbolt support and the internal I/O upgrade to match.

Then again, how fast is the 64GB internally? You can get USB3.0. Read/sec is what? 150MB/Sec max? that is 1.2GBit/sec or 1/4 of USB3.0. Even if you have a fast SSD, the speed is not much more than twice that and still half of what USB3.0 can do. Since you don't daisy chain them, it is absolutely sufficient (Except you have more than 4 devices at once on one port up/downloading to the equivalent number of of SSD/HDD).

Wokis
Jul 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
So no rumors that the new connector is actually MicroUSB? To me it looks like it could be it. I certainly would like it to be :)

oliversl
Jul 23, 2012, 05:16 PM
I'm seeing that "iPhone 5 case" almost everyday now. And it is not even in DVT

AuburnApple
Jul 23, 2012, 05:18 PM
So no rumors that the new connector is actually MicroUSB? To me it looks like it could be it. I certainly would like it to be :)

That would suck if it was, but it won't be. Micro USB holds no benefits over the likely 19 pin connector other than it's widely used and a little smaller. I prefer functionality over cheaper battery chargers.

aristotle
Jul 23, 2012, 05:20 PM
I cannot wait to see the faces of people on here when the real iPhone 5 comes out with the regular dock connector and the headphone jack at the top like it is now.

Take another look at that supposed part. It is lopsided. The grills do not match. There is no regulatory text on the back and the iPhone text is the wrong font and has the wrong kerning. Apple is very particular about details and finish.

There will be a lot of case makers wishing that they had not jumped the gun on this one.

The current dock supplies the following:
- USB/USB2 connectivity for data and power.
- control signals (for integration with car systems and stereos/alarm clocks).
- analogue video (component/composite), VGA
- digital video (HDMI)
- analogue audio (stereo phono output)
- digital audio (HDMI)
- firewire data and power
The firewire functionality has been disabled in current products but is still in the spec.

Aidan5806
Jul 23, 2012, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=JAT;15307755]Because low voltage is harder to transfer than high voltage?[COLOR="#808080"]

No because many pins of miscellaneous usage (some data) are missing if you move from 19 to 30 pins.

simoneves
Jul 23, 2012, 05:31 PM
One point which I haven't seen anyone else bring up on this thread is that many (maybe most) people will need more than one adapter even for just one phone.

I have a charger at home, a charger at work, and a USB cable in my car which I sometimes use for a top-up.

Unless I want to carry a single adapter around with me all the time (or just leave it connected to the phone... yuck) then I'd need three adapters.

(sigh)

chazwatson
Jul 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
Then again, how fast is the 64GB internally? You can get USB3.0. Read/sec is what? 150MB/Sec max? that is 1.2GBit/sec or 1/4 of USB3.0. Even if you have a fast SSD, the speed is not much more than twice that and still half of what USB3.0 can do. Since you don't daisy chain them, it is absolutely sufficient (Except you have more than 4 devices at once on one port up/downloading to the equivalent number of of SSD/HDD).

That's why I said the bit about upgrading the I/O capabilities too.

John.B
Jul 23, 2012, 06:08 PM

Doesn't look bad.

So if they are going to go to all the trouble to change the old 30-pin connector, why not just use a micro-USB connector in its place? I don't get it... :confused:

apolloa
Jul 23, 2012, 06:08 PM
and Apple satisfied that law by creating an adapter

No, they satisfy it by supplying a cable with a standard USB connector on one end, they will need to do the same for the 'rumoured not factual' new dock connector.

mex4eric
Jul 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
This is the second time they have changed the dock connector and it won't be the last.

How about just micro-USB and any signal that doesn't fit via Bluetooth?

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 06:19 PM
Why would you think that anything essential goes away? Virtually no one needs FireWire on the Dock Connector.

I was replying about an image showing the adapter. Look at it, and you'll see what I'm talking about. The audio jack is connected with the small dock connector to the big one, suggesting that audio does not go through the small one at all.

----------

If you have only $300 of spending money for the month, you shouldn't blow it all on a set of speakers. It's called living within your means.

What if you had $5000 and used it on stuff, including speakers, but now those speakers don't work with the new iPhone?

ikramerica
Jul 23, 2012, 06:23 PM
What if you had $5000 and used it on stuff, including speakers, but now those speakers don't work with the new iPhone?

Spending .25% of your system price to allow it to function with the latest technology at a later date isn't out of line. It's a drop in the bucket.

But not sure what $5000 system consists of a set of speakers that directly connects to the iPhone and costs $300.

Michael Scrip
Jul 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
One point which I haven't seen anyone else bring up on this thread is that many (maybe most) people will need more than one adapter even for just one phone.

I have a charger at home, a charger at work, and a USB cable in my car which I sometimes use for a top-up.

Unless I want to carry a single adapter around with me all the time (or just leave it connected to the phone... yuck) then I'd need three adapters.

(sigh)

The next iPhone may have a different dock connector on the head-end of the cable... but that won't affect charging.

The tail of that cable will still be good ol' USB... so all your existing USB chargers will still function at home, at work and in your car.

Nothing is changing on the tail-end... so don't worry about not being able to charge your new iPhone. You've probably got plenty of USB chargers... and you'll get yet another USB wall charger with the new iPhone.

And it won't be too long until Monoprice has new iPhone charging cables for $3

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21sA5LmlFpL._SL500_AA300_.jpghttp://www.electronichouse.com/images/uploads/belkin-usb-charger-web.jpg

The real issue here is about speakers and accessories with a hardwired 30-pin dock. Those will need some kind of adapter if you want to use them with the new iPhone.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/692/img0506hg.jpg

greytmom
Jul 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
For God's sake, people, get a grip.

imageWIS
Jul 23, 2012, 06:42 PM
Spending .25% of your system price to allow it to function with the latest technology at a later date isn't out of line. It's a drop in the bucket.

But not sure what $5000 system consists of a set of speakers that directly connects to the iPhone and costs $300.

+1, I'm also curious.

chazwatson
Jul 23, 2012, 06:45 PM

1) Get new speakers (you can sell the old ones to someone else who's also not considering future upgradeability)
2) Continue to use your current iPhone - your phone won't stop working when the new one is released.

E.Lizardo
Jul 23, 2012, 07:32 PM

That's the stupidest thing I've seen in quite some time.Is that just for therapeutic value,or do you really think Apple gives a rat's ass?

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
1) Get new speakers (you can sell the old ones to someone else who's also not considering future upgradeability)
2) Continue to use your current iPhone - your phone won't stop working when the new one is released.

Well yeah, I wouldn't buy a new iPhone if they didn't have adaptors. Actually, I won't buy a new one anyway for other reasons. And even with the adapter, certain things will not work.

I just don't see the point of the new dock connector at all unless they add something useful to it like digital audio.

zorinlynx
Jul 23, 2012, 07:45 PM
This is the second time they have changed the dock connector and it won't be the last.

How about just micro-USB and any signal that doesn't fit via Bluetooth?

Actually, the dock connector has never been changed substantially. It's been the same since the first iPod to use a dock connector back in 2003. The only thing that has changed was removal of Firewire syncing and charging support around 2005-2007.

iPods prior to the dock connector used an actual Firewire 400 port for connectivity.

Count me with those who think it's silly to change a nine year old standard just to save a tiny sliver of space. The dock connector should stay the same. It's ubiquitous.

steeptrails
Jul 23, 2012, 07:48 PM
That's nice, but what about the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter?? How much longer do we have to wait for those?

simoneves
Jul 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
And it won't be too long until Monoprice has new iPhone charging cables for $3

I guess I should have said I'd need multiple cables to go with the multiple adapters.

#firstworldproblems

jasonefmonk
Jul 23, 2012, 07:59 PM
This is the type of thread that has me wishing for the down vote button to make a return.

People that think we should keep the dock connector are crazy. It's easily one of the largest interfaces of any computer made in the last five years, let alone a portable device. If the industry listened to people like this we would still have serial ports on our computers.

The image above used to be universal too. Think progress.

Mr. Retrofire
Jul 23, 2012, 08:03 PM
One word:
Summertime

----------

This is the type of thread that has me wishing for the down vote button to make a return.
You have a serious problem, if you think you need a downvoting button. This is a discussion forum, not a downvoting forum.

Wokis
Jul 23, 2012, 08:54 PM
That would suck if it was, but it won't be. Micro USB holds no benefits over the likely 19 pin connector other than it's widely used and a little smaller. I prefer functionality over cheaper battery chargers.

Yeah, widely used. Wouldn't it be great having accessories fitting all phone brands rather than either iphone or the rest?

You can make support for HDMI, and even analogue audio (galaxy SII had this) through microUSB, what specific and hopefully useful functionality will require a proprietary design?

lovemyapple
Jul 23, 2012, 09:40 PM
Apple should have changed there dock size awhile back. Its the smart thing to do. Why complain about something that is a positive thing? Just think about what more they could do with the iDevices. And i think the should use the same size or all the Apple devices. Like a dock similar to the MacBooks, but a thinner version. Plus it would be original. Just my thought on this. So think about it before you start complaint and whining about an awesome and very positive change.

Ajones330
Jul 23, 2012, 09:43 PM
Just hoping for a magsafe charger...

newyorksole
Jul 23, 2012, 10:08 PM
I cannot wait to see the faces of people on here when the real iPhone 5 comes out with the regular dock connector and the headphone jack at the top like it is now.

Take another look at that supposed part. It is lopsided. The grills do not match. There is no regulatory text on the back and the iPhone text is the wrong font and has the wrong kerning. Apple is very particular about details and finish.

There will be a lot of case makers wishing that they had not jumped the gun on this one.

The current dock supplies the following:
- USB/USB2 connectivity for data and power.
- control signals (for integration with car systems and stereos/alarm clocks).
- analogue video (component/composite), VGA
- digital video (HDMI)
- analogue audio (stereo phono output)
- digital audio (HDMI)
- firewire data and power
The firewire functionality has been disabled in current products but is still in the spec.

Obviously it's a rough finish.... That is the new iPhone. Get over it.

benji888
Jul 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
"While the Apple Dock Connector has lasted almost a decade without a significant design change, itís one of the bulkiest components of an iPhone or iPad. That makes the Dock Connector a big bottleneck when it comes to slimming down future iPhones and iPads and giving them better battery life. After nine years, itís in Appleís vested interest to make a smaller, better Dock Connector."

"A full eight pins on the 30 Pin Dock Connector are dedicated to maintaining Firewire compatibility. The only problem is that Apple has abandoned Firewire in favor of USB 2, Thunderbolt and now USB 3. Itís pretty much a dead technology. All of those pins can be reclaimed without impacting consumers or accessory makers (except in extremely marginal cases)."

"Thatís not all. Weíve also highlighted pins 8, 9 and 10, which seem to exist only to provide pretty marginal video-out functionality to a handful of iPods. Between both the Firewire pins and the legacy video-out pins, we can easily shave 11 pins off of a 30-Pin Apple Dock Connector, leaving just 19 pins total."

from: http://www.cultofmac.com/178093/the-future-of-apples-dock-connector-feature/

Also check these:
http://www.imore.com/apple-ready-ditch-traditional-dock-connector
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/seven-reasons-im-glad-apples-killing-the-dock-connector/13150

RobertMartens
Jul 23, 2012, 10:43 PM

I agree, I wish they would just not publish anything at all.

someguy9
Jul 23, 2012, 10:47 PM
I just hope it isn't as flimsy as micro-usb, that's why I like the big connector, it doesn't seem like it's about to snap off in your phone

CFreymarc
Jul 23, 2012, 10:52 PM
IMO this is one of the biggest blunders Apple has done since the cubical Mac.

There are literally thousands of accessories that are molded to fit with the nine year old 30-pin dock. Mechanically and ascetically, there is no reason for this. Steve wouldn't have allowed this.

One of the death nails that Palm did was changing their connector every two to three years. Many accessory companies (I owned one of them) simply gave up on supporting the new connectors when they came out and moved to other platforms.

I see nothing that changing this connector will do to help them nor the developers.

aristotle
Jul 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
Obviously it's a rough finish.... That is the new iPhone. Get over it.
Says who? You? Did you forget about the tear drop design that so many people were "sure" would be the iPhone after the iPhone 4? Did you forget about all of the case makers who made the wrong case? Did you forget about all of the case makers who made the wrong case for the iPad 1?

It looks like a chinese clone to me. There were similar "clones" on the chinese market prior to the iPhone 4 release. It's called industrial espionage. They get some details of the new model right but obviously not all of the details simply because Apple is now clamping down on secrecy. It is also possible that it is a false flag operation decoy to root out the leakers in the Apple organization similar to the breakout box that never came out as a real product.

I'm not questioning whether there will be a longer display but I am questioning whether this is a legitimate part or the part of a knock off/decoy.

Maybe you need to get over it and stop believing rumours as if they were fact.

@benji888: The only people freaking out are those who believe this to be a genuine part.

newyorksole
Jul 23, 2012, 11:25 PM
Says who? You? Did you forget about the tear drop design that so many people were "sure" would be the iPhone after the iPhone 4? Did you forget about all of the case makers who made the wrong case? Did you forget about all of the case makers who made the wrong case for the iPad 1?

It looks like a chinese clone to me. There were similar "clones" on the chinese market prior to the iPhone 4 release. It's called industrial espionage. They get some details of the new model right but obviously not all of the details simply because Apple is now clamping down on secrecy. It is also possible that it is a false flag operation decoy to root out the leakers in the Apple organization similar to the breakout box that never came out as a real product.

I'm not questioning whether there will be a longer display but I am questioning whether this is a legitimate part or the part of a knock off/decoy.

Maybe you need to get over it and stop believing rumours as if they were fact.

@benji888: The only people freaking out are those who believe this to be a genuine part.

This isn't about case makers. This about leaked hardware from Apple's assembly line.

We didn't see Chinese clone iPhone 4s until after the phone got lost at the bar.

Several websites got a hold of the actual physical casing of the new iPhone and before that it was said that it would adopt a smaller dock connector, metal back middle plate etc

I just don't want people being disappointed. How often does Apple COMPLETELY surprise us? It's been a WHILE. They're not gonna pull a tear-drop aluminum back iPhone out of their ass. They don't need to. A taller iPhone with 4G/LTE, 4" screen, bigger speaker/microphone, repositioned headphone jack etc will be released. Guaranteed.

aristotle
Jul 24, 2012, 01:39 AM
This isn't about case makers. This about leaked hardware from Apple's assembly line.
There is no leaked hardware. We have not seen a part of the alleged small dock connector. It is simply a backplate that could be a decoy given to an apple employee as a trap or even just simply a part from an iPhone clone. You seem to have a short memory but I don't have the energy to "google" that for you so you will have to do it yourself. Any adult should be capable of doing a few simple google searches if they are actually looking for answers.

There were alleged parts in the past that turned out to be parts from a knock off instead of the genuine article.

You speak with such certainty and yet we have not seen any actual parts.

D-Dave
Jul 24, 2012, 03:09 AM
So if they are going to go to all the trouble to change the old 30-pin connector, why not just use a micro-USB connector in its place? I don't get it... :confused:

Well, that one is simple to answer...revenue!
USB-Standard is basicaly a free for all Connection (not sure if there is any licensing fee at all) whereas the current 30-pin (and most likely the next connection) is proprietary and anyone using it has to pay apple for doing so.

In other words, apple makes money of every cable, speaker, dock that uses the 30-pin connector (1$ for charging only (and most likely cables) and 4$ for "extended use" like data and music) i guess that adds up pretty nicely ;)

So NOT using USB = $$$ for Apple

Rafterman
Jul 24, 2012, 05:35 AM
And whatever you do Apple, make sure you DON'T use the even smaller and more capable mini USB, like every other phone maker on the planet does and a cable that everybody already has 15 of. Make sure you DO use a proprietary, expensive cable and expensive adapters for the also expensive, proprietary cables we were forced to buy the first time around if we dared to want any spares.

:rolleyes:

newyorksole
Jul 24, 2012, 06:56 AM
There is no leaked hardware. We have not seen a part of the alleged small dock connector. It is simply a backplate that could be a decoy given to an apple employee as a trap or even just simply a part from an iPhone clone. You seem to have a short memory but I don't have the energy to "google" that for you so you will have to do it yourself. Any adult should be capable of doing a few simple google searches if they are actually looking for answers.

There were alleged parts in the past that turned out to be parts from a knock off instead of the genuine article.

You speak with such certainty and yet we have not seen any actual parts.

normally people would provide links. I did a search for "part leaks turn out for iPhone clone" ... "iPhone clone parts" etc and nothing

9 times out of 10 the part leaks are for the actual device.. Not only did we get the backplate, but we got some of the internal wiring

AuburnApple
Jul 24, 2012, 07:57 AM
And whatever you do Apple, make sure you DON'T use the even smaller and more capable mini USB, like every other phone maker on the planet does and a cable that everybody already has 15 of. Make sure you DO use a proprietary, expensive cable and expensive adapters for the also expensive, proprietary cables we were forced to buy the first time around if we dared to want any spares.

Rather than rehash what has been said about miniUSB vs Apple's proprietary solution for the millionth time, I suggest you go back and read some of the thread. miniUSB may be smaller, but it's in no way more capable than Apple's proprietary solution. miniUSB gives you cheap phone chargers and a smaller connector, but Apple's connector is way more useful and functional. Also, I'm not sure where you get that people are forced to buy expensive Apple cables and adapters, but last time I checked there are tons of dirt cheap Apple cables and chargers out there. Not to mention the multitude of inexpensive docks, speakers, and accesories out there for that "horrible" Apple connector.

John.B
Jul 24, 2012, 10:13 AM

$3.25 plus shipping (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083101&p_id=7863):

http://images2.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/78631.jpg

MagnusVonMagnum
Jul 24, 2012, 10:14 AM

Then I guess you won't mind paying for mine since money grows on trees and you just give it away??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You do know that Apple makes MILLIONS off those $20 adapters, right? But that's OKAY. People can "afford" them, so they should just hand they're money over to ANYONE that wants to make them buy adapters and dongles all day long. :mad:

JAT
Jul 24, 2012, 10:29 AM
Because low voltage is harder to transfer than high voltage?

No because many pins of miscellaneous usage (some data) are missing if you move from 19 to 30 pins.
See other posts since yours. USB data would still be there. Frankly, that's all we really need these days. It isn't 2003 anymore.

Well, that would be bad. But other than the physical dock shape, it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think he said "$5000 speakers".

I have "15" of both. Paid for probably...1? Now, the Samsung proprietary 30-pin connector, that I only have 1 of. The kid better not lose/break it.

I just don't see the point of the new dock connector at all unless they add something useful to it like digital audio.
One, I doubt it will be taken away, the HDMI compatibility will likely stay in the rumored 19-pin connector.
Two, if Apple does switch to microUSB, USB is also digital, and plenty cheap to put in a $300 speaker system for compatibility with far more phones than just iPhone.

For God's sake, people, get a grip.
Amen!

coolspot18
Jul 24, 2012, 10:53 AM
Apple should switch to a USB connector.

Mad-B-One
Jul 24, 2012, 01:21 PM
That's why I said the bit about upgrading the I/O capabilities too.

I know. +1 for your post. I wasn't clear on that but I actually meant to support your fact. It seems that for a couple of more years, USB3.0 will be still faster than the internal memory and therefore absolutely sufficient. The bottleneck will be other components. Just gave it some numbers. Cheers! ;)

----------

I was replying about an image showing the adapter. Look at it, and you'll see what I'm talking about. The audio jack is connected with the small dock connector to the big one, suggesting that audio does not go through the small one at all.

That is a mock-up. No telling how it will look like. Apple could leave the audio out of the 19-pin connector though if they standardize the distance between audio jack and connector jack. That is all speculation. I doubt it though. Apple is pushing higher quality sound and the jack only gives you stereo out (speakers) plus mono in (microphone). I'm somewhat confident that the 19 pins will include digital out for surround sound etc. - but we will only be able to speculate until they officially present it or some details from 3rd parties emerge. Even if they have digital audio I/O on the dock connector, they might make that backwards compatible as analog I/O. That is specualtion as well. In my eyes, the headphone jack on the mockup is thought to be a stabilizer since the port itself is rather small. It might not have any I/O function at all if it comes this way. It just makes sure that the phone and connector do not break. Again, we can only speculate on how Apple will do it.

Mad-B-One
Jul 24, 2012, 01:32 PM
$3.25 plus shipping (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083101&p_id=7863):

Image (http://images2.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/78631.jpg)

Yes they are cheap, and I can burry you with them. We have 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 1 iPod Touch, and 2 car chargers. Btw: The car chargers were about $10 and $20 each including the cable and do 10A for the iPads. So, how many cables do you have to buy extra? I have 7 cables - one in both cars, one at work, leaving 4 at the house. In 2 years, it will be the same with the new standard, I'm sure. Extra costs: Probably not even $10 - man, they will get me bankrupt! :D

Bezetos
Jul 25, 2012, 09:03 AM
Great, so I will be able to use a dock connector adapter to connect my HDMI adapter to connect a HDMI cable to my TV screen...

MagnusVonMagnum
Jul 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
Apple should switch to a USB connector.

Of course they should. Micro-USB3 would be perfect for the job, but Apple wants to sell you zillions of propriety cables for $$$$ so they have ZERO interest in supporting the USB standard for iOS devices. Frankly, it would have been better if they had kept the Firewire connector. At least then you could get a cheap cable instead of $20 for a stinking cheap-o cable that breaks at end all the time. Apple make a killing on these cables and licensing adapters and docks and YOU pay for them. :rolleyes:

But hey, if you can afford an Apple product, you can afford to get ripped off by them on dongles, adapters, cables and docks! -So sayeth the fanboy

east85
Jul 27, 2012, 12:24 PM

Doesn't look bad.

Nah, it doesn't look that bad.

iBreatheApple
Jul 29, 2012, 07:51 AM
Called it (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15159883&postcount=12). :D

unplugme71
Jul 30, 2012, 11:00 AM
No it isn't. At least not in the US Apple store. $9.99 is what I paid, and $9.99 is what they show online.

I wasn't referring to the mag safe adapter for $9.99

jmggs
Aug 22, 2012, 04:31 AM
Changing the connector is not a good thing and the standard is ok. No reason to change it and is not evolution!

This will break with a industry standard of many hardware.
Apple have this kind of costume to remove and remove connections. and we have to cary a bunch of adapters to use in real word. (display port to DVI, Display port HDMI, USB to ethernet and so on....)

Simplifiy all! if they want to change change to a good and standard connections like to a mini-usb and a hdmi port!

Some day they change the power plug lol

b3ats
Aug 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
I wonder if Apple will create a low cost peripheral that connects to a regular dock connector that provides said connector with Airplay functionality through it's use of external power?

I think that would be pretty awesome and would make every audio dock Airplay compatible. No need to worry about balancing your new phone (or even more worryingly a large 10" redesigned iPad if they introduce one with the new connector) on an adaptor that doesn't secure the product very well and could potentially lead to broken devices due to them falling.