PDA

View Full Version : [mobile OSs] Android piracy is so bad, you cant even charge for apps anymore...

Technarchy
Jul 23, 2012, 07:57 PM
No wonder developers love iOS more than android. You got fragmentation in one hand, and crooks in the other.

http://www.cultofmac.com/180345/android-piracy-is-so-bad-you-cant-even-charge-for-apps-anymore/

If you thought the iOS App Store had issues with piracy, think again. The Google Play store, home to over 500,000 Android apps, is in a much worse position. Apparently, piracy on the Android platform is such an issue that developers are, in a sense, beginning to give up.
The developers behind Dead Trigger, an FPS available on both Android and iOS, have decided to give up the fight, and are now making the popular game completely free on Google Play, due to the outrageous piracy.
Originally priced at only $0.99 in order to get the game into as many hands as possible, Dead Trigger was still subject to an “unbelievably high” piracy rate. With the game itself now free, Madfinger Games has promised not to go the “freemium” route, avoiding in-app purchases.
Interestingly enough, the game remains available on the iOS App Store for the same $0.99. It’s no wonder developers still choose iOS first.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/180345/android-piracy-is-so-bad-you-cant-even-charge-for-apps-anymore/#0YCjCr3btMAoQ2A5.99

Mac.World
Jul 23, 2012, 08:28 PM
Yeah, because there is no pirating of iOS apps and games, right?

Let's see. A quick check of Installous... And yep, a $7 game for free, right on the front page.

Vegastouch
Jul 23, 2012, 08:36 PM
Yes, because NOBODY is getting Apps for free from Installous in Cydia :rolleyes:

I tried a $500?(i forget if it was even more) app for free from Installous and you know what? The App sucked and there was no way to get a refund had i actually paid that ridiculous price.

$500.......are you kidding me?

Sensamic
Jul 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
Here it comes again...

Sensamic
Jul 23, 2012, 09:33 PM
Please technarchy. Not you too. Don't become one of those stupid idiot mindless fanboys. I'll have to avoid all your posts because they are worthless.

Are you 16?

Such a shame... poor guy...

You can do better...

Renzatic
Jul 23, 2012, 10:11 PM
I wanna know what this $500 app was...

wackymacky
Jul 23, 2012, 10:19 PM

Try these out for price:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-15-most-expensive-ipadiphone-apps-2012-5?op=1

Vegastouch
Jul 23, 2012, 10:23 PM

I dont remember the name of it. I havent used my iPhone for over two years but i believe it was an app that lets you connect to surveilance cameras. Im not kidding on the price. I couldnt believe it when i went to it in the actual app store.

I doubt it is there anymore but you can check Apps for tapping into surveilance cameras. It has to be cheaper if it is there. I cant imagine any fool paying that price for an App.

Technarchy
Jul 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
Yeah, because there is no pirating of iOS apps and games, right?

Let's see. A quick check of Installous... And yep, a $7 game for free, right on the front page.

True. If it is digital it can be pirated, but this is just another reason why iOS is the developer mobile OS of choice.

It explains a lot about the android demographic in general when developers dont even bother trying to charge, or just make their products nasty ad-ware.

Infinity Blade was Epic's most profitable game ever. Had it been on android only it would not have been a success at all.

http://www.insidemobileapps.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-shot-2012-04-19-at-12.04.37-PM.png

http://photos.appleinsider.com/piper-111121.jpg

Vegastouch
Jul 23, 2012, 10:42 PM
True. If it is digital it can be pirated, but this is just another reason why iOS is the developer mobile OS of choice.

It explains a lot about the android demographic in general when developers dont even bother trying to charge, or just make their products nasty ad-ware.

Infinity Blade was Epic's most profitable game ever. Had it been on android only it would not have been a success at all.

Image (http://www.insidemobileapps.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-shot-2012-04-19-at-12.04.37-PM.png)

Image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/piper-111121.jpg)

Who cares, there are plenty of Apps in the Android market that are on both platforms and plenty on both i dont use and you can get free Apps on both that are pirated. If i like it, ill pay.

One thing you fail to mention is that you can get a refund on Android even if the window is small. You cannot on iTunes and what if your stuck with that $500 crappy App?
Look dude, i know you didnt like Android for whatever reason...whether it be the phones or you not knowing what your doing, i dont know and dont care but you are getting as bad as Bobby.

Enjoy your iPhone and small screen. Thats cool and fine with me. I dont care but who really cares about this topic. I sure dont! There are over 500,000 Apps, i think i can find the ones i need whether they cost or not.

jeffe
Jul 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
Who cares,

It seems Technarchy cares a whole lot.

tech4all
Jul 23, 2012, 10:54 PM
It seems Technarchy cares a whole lot.

Didn't you hear, Technarchy is Apple's new toy. :rolleyes:

Vizin
Jul 23, 2012, 10:58 PM

Vegastouch
Jul 23, 2012, 11:03 PM
You realize it was an add-on for an enterprise building security system, right? It wasn't aimed at consumers. $500 for enterprise-targeted software isn't unheard of at all.

BS, thats your speculation. It was in the App store for anyone to buy.
Funny you dont even know what the App was and your telling me this? :rolleyes:

mrsir2009
Jul 23, 2012, 11:05 PM
Yes, because NOBODY is getting Apps for free from Installous in Cydia :rolleyes:

Sure, people are... But out of all the iDevice owners, how many of them jailbreak? Out out of the people that do jailbreak, how many of them stoop to pirating $1 apps?

Vegastouch
Jul 23, 2012, 11:07 PM
Sure, people are... But out of all the iDevice owners, how many of them jailbreak? Out out of the people that do jailbreak, how many of them stoop to pirating $1 apps?

Considering all the kids in here who always talk about getting something for free to fix their phone they screwed up ...id say plenty.

Vizin
Jul 23, 2012, 11:08 PM

B777Forevar
Jul 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
But out of all the iDevice owners, how many of them jailbreak?

When the last jailbreak was released back in Jan, nearly 1 million iDevices (iPad, iPhone, etc) was jailbroken in 3 days (source (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/1_million_jailbreak_iphone_4s_ipad_2_ios_5.php))

You got fragmentation in one hand, and crooks in the other.

iPad 1 not getting iOS6 while the 3G[s] gets it, also installous and whatever they are using nowadays to steal apps.

tit for tat. This isn't only a Android issue.

also, 6/10 for making me reply

mrsir2009
BS, thats your speculation. It was in the App store for anyone to buy.
Funny you dont even know what the App was and your telling me this? :rolleyes:

It probably was for business use, not consumer use. The app costs $500 and it allows you to view security surveillance systems - Sounds like enterprise stuff to me :)

Renzatic
I dont remember the name of it. I havent used my iPhone for over two years but i believe it was an app that lets you connect to surveilance cameras. Im not kidding on the price. I couldnt believe it when i went to it in the actual app store.

I doubt it is there anymore but you can check Apps for tapping into surveilance cameras. It has to be cheaper if it is there. I cant imagine any fool paying that price for an App.

Really? I set up surveillance systems as part of my job, and the app I use to view them over the iPhone cost about 5 bucks or so.

Unless it's some proprietary viewer used by some achingly high end government contract type IP cam setup, or it's used to somehow break into the video feeds, I can't think of a single reason why a remote viewer app would cost that much.

...now I really wanna know what it is. :P

Vegastouch
Jul 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
I saw it when it was available and read the description. Here, I Googled it: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-most-expensive-iphone-apps-2009-8?op=1

"iRa Pro and iRa Direct are used to view and manage super-expensive enterprise surveillance camera installations."

And of course it was in the app store for anyone to buy. Apple doesn't provide a way to target apps to private audiences.

Could be that one, i really dont remember the name of it. It has been quite a while. There is another one in that link for $349. I have seen a handful of very expensive Apps though that were ripe for pirating from Installous.

mrsir2009
Jul 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
When the last jailbreak was released back in Jan, nearly 1 million iDevices (iPad, iPhone, etc) was jailbroken in 3 days (source (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/1_million_jailbreak_iphone_4s_ipad_2_ios_5.php))

Firstly, a large amount of those jailbreaks would have been from people who were just jailbreaking it to unlock it from their carrier - And out of those remaining, I doubt a big enough number of them pirate apps to make a significant difference to the iOS App industry. It doesn't seem to be a problem, unlike Android's App industry.

Renzatic
Jul 23, 2012, 11:24 PM
Could be that one, i really dont remember the name of it. It has been quite a while.

Should've read the other replies.

I also found this (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mobile-cam-viewer-enterprise/id305156924?mt=8)

...which is just ridiculous. Maybe it was a huge thing back when the iPhone was new, and the developer never bothered lowering the price once the better, cheaper alternatives started showing up.

Then again, it does encrypt the video stream, which none of the viewers I use do. Maybe that's why it's so expensive. Who knows.

The iGentleman
Jul 23, 2012, 11:24 PM
The developer should have used the application licensing api (http://developer.android.com/guide/google/play/licensing/index.html). That would have helped them tremendously. Piracy is a reality on any digital platform, but the developer has to do their due diligence to prevent it also. Simply charging a low price ($1), isn't going to stop piracy.

B777Forevar
Jul 23, 2012, 11:26 PM
Firstly, a large amount of those jailbreaks would have been from people who were just jailbreaking it to unlock it from their carrier - And out of those remaining, I doubt a big enough number of them pirate apps to make a significant difference to the iOS App industry. It doesn't seem to be a problem, unlike Android's App industry.

the iPhone 4s wasn't unlockable back then by ultrasn0w back then, nor the iPhone 4 (well it was, but only in iOS 4.0-4.0X) when that jailbreak was released.

You are probably correct that piracy probably doesn't make a dent on the App Store, it's still a problem.

utahman130
Jul 23, 2012, 11:34 PM

This is better. 1,000 dollars!

Source (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/08/iphone-i-am-ric.html)
[The app's] function is exactly what the name implies: to alert people that you have money in the bank. I Am Rich was available for purchase from the phone's App Store for, get this, $999.99 -- the highest amount a developer can charge through the digital retailer, said Armin Heinrich, the program's developer. Once downloaded, it doesn't do much -- a red icon sits on the iPhone home screen like any other application, with the subtext "I Am Rich." Once activated, it treats the user to a large, glowing gem

Eddie Bombay
Jul 23, 2012, 11:35 PM
I find it harder to get an app for free on Android over iOS. With iOS all you need to do is install Installus. Lately a lot of developers have their apps check with the market to verify the license in order to work on android so just because you find the app on Google for free doesn't mean it's going to work.

MacBH928
Jul 24, 2012, 12:17 PM
This makes a lot of sense because...

1) Apple's customer base are the more well off people, willing to pay higher price for brand name. They are more likely to buy than your average joe

2) To pirate on Apple devices you have to CRACK the device, I am not sure if this is the same case on Android.

3) Android is based on Linux. This tells me that more of its source code is open and free. Also it tells me that the "hacking" community or people who would like to tinker with their devices flourish a lot more over there.

To be honest I like free stuff too , but as I grow older I realize that its the wrong thing to do , and some one out there has spent time and money and makes a living off these apps we use and he wants to get paid back. Also if we want more good apps like the ones we got for free , we should pay for them to encourage developers to do more.

If they don't get a return on their previous apps created, they'll just stop all together.

ps. Installing pirated software has its huge advantage, you get to check the software out before paying for it. This helped me decide on many purchases , sometimes not even the demo will cut it off. The way I see it, even if you use the pirated app for a very long time, you can always go back and pay the developer...if it was worthwhile.

Apollo 13
Jul 24, 2012, 12:45 PM
Owning both devices I will say android is easy to steal apps. Just google the app and bam u have it with no need of jailbreak/rooting. iOS u have to jailbreak which many ppl don't even know what that is or don't want to. Then u have those that jailbreak and never even heard of installous or even care for it. So yes pirating on ios is a lot lower.

Renzatic
Jul 24, 2012, 12:50 PM
This is better. 1,000 dollars!

Okay, let me see if I've got this. It's an app that costs a grand, and does...what? Displays a glowing gem that shows you have money in the bank?

...that is cheesy. So cheesy, it makes me want to smack people.

The iGentleman
Jul 24, 2012, 05:34 PM

1) Apple's customer base are the more well off people, willing to pay higher price for brand name. They are more likely to buy than your average joe

How you about you show some demographic proof to go along with that fantastical claim of yours.

Renzatic
Jul 24, 2012, 05:39 PM
How you about you show some demographic proof to go along with that fantastical claim of yours.

It's true of the Mac scene, not so much iOS. If you look at the top tier of expensive PCs, you'll see Apple as one of the biggest players there.

The iPhone? Hell. Everyone and their grandma has an iPhone.

The iGentleman
Jul 24, 2012, 05:44 PM
It's true of the Mac scene, not so much iOS. If you look at the top tier of expensive PCs, you'll see Apple as one of the biggest players there.

The iPhone? Hell. Everyone and their grandma has an iPhone.

I'm not concerned with Macs, we're talking about phones. Macs aren't available on contract for $100. For some reason, there seems to be a section of people on this site that are misguided enough to believe the iPhone is indicative of some elite status. They speak as if an iPhone is so difficult to afford. So again, I'd love for that silly guy to provide some demographic data to back up his fantastical and pretentious claim.

batting1000
Jul 24, 2012, 05:49 PM

This use to be the case. The iPhone was a symbol of popularity and people that are possibly in a better economic state, if you will.

Now, the iPhone is a common sight. The iPhone is just as capable as a top-tier Android device and the sales and developer support.

http://mathiasmikkelsen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/profitsshare1.jpg

Renzatic
Jul 24, 2012, 06:02 PM
I'm not concerned with Macs, we're talking about phones. Macs aren't available on contract for $100. For some reason, there seems to be a section of people on this site that are misguided enough to believe the iPhone is indicative of some elite status. They speak as if an iPhone is so difficult to afford. So again, I'd love for that silly guy to provide some demographic data to back up his fantastical and pretentious claim.

Some people still tend to mix up the two. The iPhone is one of the better built phones out there, and it does (I guess) exude some of that patented Apple class *swishes snifter of brandy*.

But no, iDevices are not at all difficult to afford. You can get a 4 on contract for what, $100 now? And the iPad only looks pricey when compared against netbooks. They're fairly cheap.

The iGentleman
Jul 24, 2012, 07:47 PM
Some people still tend to mix up the two. The iPhone is one of the better built phones out there, and it does (I guess) exude some of that patented Apple class *swishes snifter of brandy*.

But no, iDevices are not at all difficult to afford. You can get a 4 on contract for what, $100 now? And the iPad only looks pricey when compared against netbooks. They're fairly cheap.

Exactly. Heck there are other phones that cost more on contract than the iPhone, and even they aren't symbols of status. When the Galaxy Nexus first came out, it was $300 on contract with Verizon, and the GSM model had no subsidy so it was around $700 at launch. So if that guy thinks the iPhone is a symbol of wealth, then the people that had the Galaxy Nexus at launch must be filthy rich lol.

thewitt
Jul 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
...now I really wanna know what it is. :P

He's just blowing smoke up your @$$ to justify piracy...

MacBH928
Jul 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
Exactly. Heck there are other phones that cost more on contract than the iPhone, and even they aren't symbols of status. When the Galaxy Nexus first came out, it was $300 on contract with Verizon, and the GSM model had no subsidy so it was around $700 at launch. So if that guy thinks the iPhone is a symbol of wealth, then the people that had the Galaxy Nexus at launch must be filthy rich lol.

There are Android phones for the prices of $200-300 new, no contract.

NZed
Jul 25, 2012, 09:41 AM
As an Android user, if google only accepted my Canadian Debit Visa, like the apple store, i would be paying for the apps i want/need.

batting1000
Jul 25, 2012, 09:44 AM
There are Android phones for the prices of $200-300 new, no contract.

Well yeah if you want a garbage phone.

The iGentleman
Jul 25, 2012, 10:22 AM

Exactly. lol I don't know what his point was in bringing that up, that really has nothing to do with the discussion lol.

BFizzzle
Jul 25, 2012, 10:42 AM
plenty of people pirate on iOS too, but its easier for android to download pirated apps. No need to jailbreak, just have to go to the source. So naturally there is going to be more piracy.

----------

Exactly. lol I don't know what his point was in bringing that up, that really has nothing to do with the discussion lol.

reallllly an sIII is garbage? $350 contract free lol? im sure you can fine one used for much less than o l i know thats not $200-300 price range that you called garbage, but only $50 more lol

----------

sIII is $350 contract free... not really a garbage phone. im sure you can find one used/ maybe even refurbed for $300 or under

----------

As an Android user, if google only accepted my Canadian Debit Visa, like the apple store, i would be paying for the apps i want/need.

ermmm

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=167794

cant you have it billed to your carrier???
or get citizensbank.ca prepaid VISA................ :

Hmmmmmmmm
or do you just want an "excuse" to justify your piracy?:rolleyes:
LOL

Eddie Bombay
Jul 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
With iOS you also have free in app purchases which is even more crazy.

The iGentleman
Jul 25, 2012, 11:19 AM
reallllly an sIII is garbage? $350 contract free lol? im sure you can fine one used for much less than o l i know thats not $200-300 price range that you called garbage, but only $50 more lol [COLOR="#808080"]
There's no such thing as a GS3 $350 contract free. You show me a legit link for that and I'll buy 10 right now. I think you're thinking of the Galaxy Nexus, and that's a special case. The Nexus is an exception to the rule, because that's Google's baby. Besides that, there's no such thing as a real quality Android phone for $300 contract free. Sorry, there just isn't.

batting1000
Jul 25, 2012, 11:25 AM
sIII is $350 contract free... not really a garbage phone. im sure you can find one used/ maybe even refurbed for $300 or under

Where are you seeing this? Carriers are offering it off contract for atleast $550 off contract. You'd be lucky to find one off Craigslist or whatever for less than that in good condition.

The iGentleman
Jul 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
Where are you seeing this? Carriers are offering it off contract for atleast $550 off contract. You'd be lucky to find one off Craigslist or whatever for less than that in good condition.

lol yeah really. Show me where I can get a real GS3 for $350 off contract, and I will order 10 right now, and flip them on craigslist so fast your head would spin.

BFizzzle
Jul 25, 2012, 12:07 PM

excuse me not sIII nexus. sorry i dont use android often and got them confused..

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Galaxy_Nexus_HSPA?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa&hl=en

still not a "garbage phone"

----------

[/COLOR]lol yeah really. Show me where I can get a real GS3 for $350 off contract, and I will order 10 right now, and flip them on craigslist so fast your head would spin.

i mean nexus my bad. i dont use android often and got it confused.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Galaxy_Nexus_HSPA?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa&hl=en

still not a "garbage phone"

zbarvian
Jul 25, 2012, 12:10 PM
It's very apparent to this day that iOS has much stronger developer support, one of the elements that I believe continues to hold Android back. There are more apps on iOS, more downloads, and it is FAR more lucrative to develop for iOS than Android.

And then you see the ridiculous piracy rates on Android, which only widens the gap. It is a way more involved process to pirate apps on iOS than Android.

Dontazemebro
Jul 25, 2012, 06:01 PM
What's worse is that some of you actually condone pirating. I don't care if it's android or iOS. Who cares if it's more prevelant on one OS as opposed to the other. It's still wrong.

-1 for the dude trying to justify pirating a $500 app. It's still stealing SMH.

Eddie Bombay
Jul 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
What's worse is that some of you actually condone pirating. I don't care if it's android or iOS. Who cares if it's more prevelant on one OS as opposed to the other. It's still wrong.

-1 for the dude trying to justify pirating a $500 app. It's still stealing SMH.

Don't taze me bro.

MacBH928
Jul 26, 2012, 10:40 AM

The point is that the point of entry to Android phones is much cheaper than the iPhone, and it has a wider range of people with different income level. this to point out that iPhone users are more well off, meaning less piracy.

NZed
Jul 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
ermmm

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=167794

cant you have it billed to your carrier???
or get citizensbank.ca prepaid VISA................ :

Hmmmmmmmm
or do you just want an "excuse" to justify your piracy?:rolleyes:
LOL

Billing through carrier doesnt work with Canadian carriers... plus i dont have a plan, since i'm usually always in a place with wifi, and when theres emergency, i buy the 2 dollar 10 mb pay as you go plan. Also, even if it did support, i still have to acquire a plan, which requires my parents approval, since they are the 'owner' of this number(although i pay my own bill).

Anyways, its not an excuse, i was so desperate trying to buy an app once that i contacted their developer that i will pay them via paypal or other form of payment for their app. Cant even do that. I have to admit, yes i downloaded a couple pirated apps to use, but then i realized that i didnt like any of it so far and deleted them all. Not an excuse, but i try not to.

BFizzzle
Jul 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
Billing through carrier doesnt work with Canadian carriers... plus i dont have a plan, since i'm usually always in a place with wifi, and when theres emergency, i buy the 2 dollar 10 mb pay as you go plan. Also, even if it did support, i still have to acquire a plan, which requires my parents approval, since they are the 'owner' of this number(although i pay my own bill).

Anyways, its not an excuse, i was so desperate trying to buy an app once that i contacted their developer that i will pay them via paypal or other form of payment for their app. Cant even do that. I have to admit, yes i downloaded a couple pirated apps to use, but then i realized that i didnt like any of it so far and deleted them all. Not an excuse, but i try not to.

what about getting a prepaid visa like i showed you?

NZed
Jul 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
what about getting a prepaid visa like i showed you?

I wont be buying apps anytime soon so i dont feel the need. Interesting option though.

RMXO
Jul 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
I wont be buying apps anytime soon so i dont feel the need. Interesting option though.

That's one option & is Google Passport available in CA? If so, link a card to it & buy your apps through it.

NZed
Jul 28, 2012, 12:12 AM
That's one option & is Google Passport available in CA? If so, link a card to it & buy your apps through it.

Google Passport? Google Wallet you mean?

RMXO
Jul 28, 2012, 01:01 AM
Google Passport? Google Wallet you mean?

opps, yeah, google wallet

NZed
Jul 28, 2012, 01:37 AM
opps, yeah, google wallet

it still wont work as google doesnt accept my debit visa.

JoEw
Jul 28, 2012, 01:38 AM
Statistics don't lie. There is a good reason why there are more free apps on the android platform. Don't deny it. It is because of piracy. And yes apple has piracy too, but it takes much more work for average users to pirate on iphone compared to android since android is more "open".

A perfect example is angry birds space 99 cents on iOS. Android it is free. Can someone give me any other explanation for why it is free? Besides of the obvius one I mentioned.

I find it funny when people point out blatant problems with the android ecosystem they are labeled apple fanboys. Android can't be weaker in some areas then iOS? That seems like a fanboy thought.

Orange Furball
Jul 28, 2012, 03:36 AM
This title is misleading. The only reason I clicked was because of the "you can't even charge for apps" part. I thought it was a new rule or something. Anyway, the internet is full of piracy.

My 42 year old mom asked me how to pirate stuff after a coworker told her about getting free CDs. I showed her how to pirate the proper way, go to play.google.com and search for the CD. Then press buy and pay like you should.

There will always be users that are trying to get things for free. And at this point the security to protect developers isn't there. Will it be there in the future? Who knows. I hope so.

Agathon
Jul 28, 2012, 07:12 AM

Large scale piracy exists because of a poor business model. If people can get your stuff for nothing with almost no effort, they will. Moral condemnations are a waste of time, since if you can't actually protect property rights in a particular market, that market will usually fail. Lecturing pirates makes about as much sense as trying to persuade people to stop looking at pornography.

Apple understood this from the get go. If you make it moderately difficult for the average user to pirate apps and keep the app prices low, most folks who actually have any money will find it too much of an effort to pirate apps and will buy them instead (people who don't understand this either have no money or too much time or both).

If Google can't sort this out, iOS will get all the good apps, and Android users will have to suffice with adware infested versions. Google needs to sort this out or developers will abandon or degrade their platform.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 28, 2012, 08:58 AM
Statistics don't lie. There is a good reason why there are more free apps on the android platform. Don't deny it. It is because of piracy. And yes apple has piracy too, but it takes much more work for average users to pirate on iphone compared to android since android is more "open".

I also think it's because of Apple's polices of accepting apps too. Plenty of apps for Android that Apple would never accept in the app store for multiple reasons.

A perfect example is angry birds space 99 cents on iOS. Android it is free. Can someone give me any other explanation for why it is free? Besides of the obvius one I mentioned.

Again, I think there is more factors to it than just piracy. Marketing is one. Some versions of Angry Birds cost and they do charge for an ad free version of the regular Angry Birds. At least that's how it was back when I tried the EVO. Also, the majority of Android phones are on the lower end(cheaper) side vs the top of the line phones always talked about in these forums. I guess they realize that and it's easier to hook millions in when it's free.

I find it funny when people point out blatant problems with the android ecosystem they are labeled apple fanboys. Android can't be weaker in some areas then iOS? That seems like a fanboy thought.

I agree, especially with the first several posts.

RMXO
Jul 28, 2012, 11:36 PM

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rovio.angrybirdsspace.premium&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5yb3Zpby5hbmdyeWJpcmRzc3BhY2UucHJlbWl1bSJd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rovio.angrybirdsspaceHD&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5yb3Zpby5hbmdyeWJpcmRzc3BhY2VIRCJd

those are the paid versions of Angry Birds. Some of the Angry Birds once did cost $.99 but became free over time.

You're right, if an app is free on Android, it must be due to piracy since you get charged for the iOS version. Stats don't lie? I was under the assumption that most statistics posted is BS but I guess I was wrong.

ChazUK
Aug 2, 2012, 05:59 AM
Well this whole thing reeks of publicity.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/2/3214685/dead-trigger-free-ios

Madfinger Games, the studio behind mobile first-person shooter Dead Trigger, earned a fair bit of notoriety recently by making its game free on Android in response to what it called an "unbelievably high" piracy rate. Today, that same game is becoming free on iOS as well. So how does Madfinger feel about piracy on Apple's mobile platform?

Well, there are no grandstanding claims this time around, though CEO Marek Rabas has said that "the number of pirates on iOS is comparable with the amount of jailbroken devices." In general, Rabas is disappointed with the lack of protection both Google and Apple are providing for hard-working game devs like himself, and you can read his full thoughts on developing for mobile platforms in an article he's written over on GameZebo.

Ultimately, this seems like a simple case of a company moving over to a pure freemium model and providing price parity across operating systems — Dead Trigger's real income has always been generated through in-app purchases and upgrades. Players who already bought the game at its previous $0.99 price will be compensated with a helping of in-game loot, but many will feel Madfinger has been less than upfront about its reasons now that it's treated Android and iOS the same way, but openly criticized only one of the two mobile OS leaders..

All jail breakers are pirates eh? What a stupid thing to say.

reefoid
Aug 2, 2012, 07:05 AM
This dev (http://www.talkandroid.com/124791-wind-up-knight-developer-tweets-piracy-stats-calls-it-a-red-herring/) has a slightly different viewpoint. Wind Up Knight apparently has a higher piracy rate on iOS than Android (15% vs 12%) but that nearly all of these pirates are from China (where, incidentally, the Android Market is not available but the App Store is).

KnightWRX
Aug 2, 2012, 07:39 AM
All jail breakers are pirates eh? What a stupid thing to say.

Anyone who believes the premise is daft anyhow. "Hey, I spent hundreds of hours on this, but since there's so much piracy, heff it, I'm giving it away". Yeah right.

Isn't funny though that after all the crying about "Fandroids" invading the iOS forums, now that a seperate forum has been made for Mac/Apple users to discuss alternatives, a few people feel the need to come in here to spread hate/FUD about alternative platforms ? What's good for the goose...

cynics
Aug 2, 2012, 08:00 AM
Damnt, aren't I an idiot buying dead trigger on Android.

I admit it's easier to pirate software on Android, however if you are going through all that work to save 1 dollar (price I paid for dead trigger) then you will pirate on any platform.

Google appname.apk from the phone then download and install.

ChazUK
Aug 2, 2012, 08:05 AM
Isn't funny though that after all the crying about "Fandroids" invading the iOS forums, now that a seperate forum has been made for Mac/Apple users to discuss alternatives, a few people feel the need to come in here to spread hate/FUD about alternative platforms ? What's good for the goose...

I think this new board has filtered out those of us that want to discuss alternatives between those that want to purely troll.

Those that wanted to simply wind up iPhone/iPad users now have no avenue to do so, so they've likely scurried away and those of us left that do want to have sensible chat can here.

The mods are dumping the troll posts to the wasteland which is good too:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1415763
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1414247

WIN/WIN IMO. :cool:

cynics
Aug 2, 2012, 08:12 AM

And how does this hurt the average android user that doesn't pirate apps? I'm really not that upset getting an app for free on Android.

Some may argue that there's ads. Root and install ad blocker, perfectly legal. Now I have an ad free, free version of an identical app that's on iOS.

onthecouchagain
Aug 2, 2012, 02:47 PM
Free for iOS now too:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Dead-Trigger-now-free-on-iOS-too_id32959

Greg.
Aug 2, 2012, 04:42 PM
Looking at some of the posts on here, you really do see why Apple fans have a reputation of being idiots. There's piracy on both platforms, it's easy to do for either. While Android might be easier to get pirated apps on initially, iOS is worse for in-app purchases: look at iAP cracker and iAPFree. Developers can get screwed either way.

jeffe
Aug 2, 2012, 09:23 PM
Looking at some of the posts on here, you really do see why Apple fans have a reputation of being idiots. There's piracy on both platforms, it's easy to do for either. While Android might be easier to get pirated apps on initially, iOS is worse for in-app purchases: look at iAP cracker and iAPFree. Developers can get screwed either way.

One developer of a popular app stated that they were experiencing a higher piracy rate on IOS than on Android.

It's a problem on both platforms I suppose.

onthecouchagain
Aug 2, 2012, 11:45 PM

Welcome to MacRumors. Where the double standard reigns supreme.

matttye
Aug 3, 2012, 01:17 AM
When you only dwell on the failure stories, it's easy to think that things are so bleak, but for every failure there's a success story.

There was an indie developer that created an app to find your parked car, and he ended up making $1000s a month for a few weeks work.

KnightWRX
Aug 3, 2012, 07:36 AM
I think this new board has filtered out those of us that want to discuss alternatives between those that want to purely troll.

WIN/WIN IMO. :cool:

Except a few users that seem to be here only to bash Android and any innovations/problems it might encounter. I think this thread is a glaring example of that. The OP is not here for objective discussion, he's here to bash.

Same for the multi-user thread for Android, it got derailed fierce by 1 poster insisting the feature was useless and refused to move on to something else, just staying there and making sure everyone knew he didn't like it and it wasn't useful to him (and 75% of replies in the thread are now replies to him instead of discussing the feature).

It's sad that these are probably the same people who were whining of "Android folks" in the iOS/iPhone/iPad forums, that "trolls don't have anything better to do than hang out on Macrumors" and now that Apple users that also use alternatives have a place to discuss their stuff, these users come in and stir the pot.

Leaves to wonder who really was the "troll" in all of this to begin with.

ChazUK
Aug 3, 2012, 07:43 AM
Except a few users that seem to be here only to bash Android and any innovations/problems it might encounter. I think this thread is a glaring example of that. The OP is not here for objective discussion, he's here to bash.

I wouldn't worry about it myself.

Now that the developer has dropped the purchase price for Dead Trigger on iOS due to piracy issues too, Technarchy's point has kind of blew up back in his/her face.

Let them eat crow I say! :)

KnightWRX
Aug 3, 2012, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't worry about it myself.

Now that the developer has dropped the purchase price for Dead Trigger on iOS due to piracy issues too, Technarchy's point has kind of blew up back in his/her face.

Let them eat crow I say! :)

Sure, I was just commenting on how sad it was that the roles seem to be "reversed" now that this forum exists. Shows what we've always known : extremists on both sides exist. ;)