PDA

View Full Version : Apple Planning 'All-New' iPod Touch and iPod Nano for September Launch?

MacRumors
Jul 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/apple-planning-all-new-ipod-touch-and-ipod-nano-for-september-launch/)

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has in the past offered remarkably accurate information on Apple's product plans, today released a new report addressing Apple's upcoming release plans, indicating that the company is planning for a very busy September-October schedule.

Kicking off the schedule of launches are said to be "all-new" iPod touch and iPod nano models. Details on the new models are currently slim, but the revised iPod touch is said to include the new in-cell touch display technology (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/17/next-iphone-to-have-thinner-higher-quality-screen/) that has been rumored by several sources for the next-generation iPhone.

Overall, Kuo believes that strong quarter-over-quarter growth in iPod sales for the third calendar quarter will be driven by the new iPod nano rather than the iPod touch, which will see constrained supplies due to the move in-cell touch display technology.Though all new design iPod touch and iPod nano will be launched, growth momentum will mainly come from the latter. The new iPod touch, like iPhone 5, uses in-cell panel, whose availability is limited in the initial stage. Shipments will therefore be hindered.Apple of course did not make any substantial hardware changes to the iPod touch last September, electing to merely add white models and lower the entry-level pricing from $229 to $199. Consequently, the iPod touch retained the A4-based hardware introduced in September 2010 even as the iPhone 4S moved to the new A5 system-on-a-chip.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/ipod_nano_oblong_rendering.jpg

Mockup (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/revamped-ipod-nano-to-include-oblong-body-with-home-button/) of redesigned iPod nano with oblong body and home button
Apple likewise did not offer any major changes to the iPod nano last September, merely lowering pricing and rolling out a software update for the line. One recent rumor has claimed that the iPod nano will be seeing a complete redesign (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/revamped-ipod-nano-to-include-oblong-body-with-home-button/) with an oblong body, rectangular screen, and home button similar to that found on iOS devices. It is unclear, however, whether Kuo's sources are hearing similar details or if they only have generic information about a forthcoming redesign.

Article Link: Apple Planning 'All-New' iPod Touch and iPod Nano for September Launch? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/apple-planning-all-new-ipod-touch-and-ipod-nano-for-september-launch/)

kenboy127
Jul 23, 2012, 10:50 PM
They really don't know what to do with the nano.

Caliber26
Jul 23, 2012, 10:50 PM
That looks more like an iZune than an iPod Nano. :rolleyes:

sam8940
Jul 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
"Details are slim"
I see what you did there

aluren
Jul 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
Awesome. Now just cap off 2012 with the Apple TV!

jamesvdm
Jul 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
That's one of the least likely renders I've seen this year.

edry.hilario
Jul 23, 2012, 10:55 PM
And no one knows what's up with the iMac everyone hears about mobile devices and zero on the desktops

MacIke
Jul 23, 2012, 10:55 PM
We have no clue but feel like we have to say something.

Caliber26
Jul 23, 2012, 10:57 PM

I do: Bring back the click wheel and give the entry level model a minimum of 16GB.
When it comes to design, the 4th and 5th generations have been the best so far.

summitRun
Jul 23, 2012, 10:57 PM
What was old is new again. If that mock-up is anywhere near close to the next gen nano, mark me down. The current postage stamp thing is just awful...

mrsir2009
Jul 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
Well something needs to happen to the iPod line soon...

dryock
Jul 23, 2012, 11:00 PM
ipod touch will be upgraded to 7" and rename to ipad mini.

greytmom
Jul 23, 2012, 11:06 PM
I'm thinking about a classic. Getting tired of taking stuff off my nano so I can add new stuff.

name99
Jul 23, 2012, 11:08 PM

Of course they know what to do. The furor surrounding the Pebble, and earlier such devices from Motorola and Sony, show their is a massive demand for an iPhone watch.

The problem is NOT not knowing what to do, it is getting the tech in place to do it RIGHT. The predecessors have all suffered from one or more of
- not waterproof
- need to be charged too often (a watch-like device comes with an expectation of infrequent to never charging --- the bare minimum I think you can get away with us once a week)
- requires headphones (obviously you WANT such a device to communicate with both your phone and your earphones wirelessly with no cables involved)

bettaboy123
Jul 23, 2012, 11:20 PM
I think putting the iPod touch back to the iPhone-minus-the-phone and keeping the price the same would be just fine for this upgrade. It just needs a better camera and updated internals. (plus the rumored bigger screen)

The iPod nano could just use a capacity bump and slight price drop, and maybe a slightly higher resolution display. I would be fine with that. A slightly bigger screen and more battery would also be welcomed.

The shuffle needs a capacity bump and that's it. Maybe a thinner design, more battery life, or more colors.

The classic needs a capacity bump, a move to flash storage, a redesign, and/or a lower price. Pick two or axe it.

faroZ06
Jul 23, 2012, 11:21 PM

Yeah, those mockups made me think "Microsoft" in my head.

DonRivella
Jul 23, 2012, 11:32 PM

Which is not a bad thing, the Zune HD is/was a gorgeous piece of hardware and feels great in the hand.

----------

I do: Bring back the click wheel and give the entry level model a minimum of 16GB.

I agree, those were very functional. I would also not mind if the new nano would be something like the Sansa Clip. I just want a small player with a screen (nothing fancy) and physical buttons or a click wheel.

LizKat
Jul 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
I like the look of it. Reminds me of the 2nd gen nano, tall and skinny. I still love those, take one of them in the car all the time.

G51989
Jul 23, 2012, 11:38 PM

Nothing wrong with that, sure the Zune was a failure.

But have you ever used/held a Zune HD? the build quality is incredible, the OLED screen is amazing, the touch screen responsiveness blows a touch out of the water. Id even put it above the iPod touch in build quailty. Its a shame the ZuneHD never went anywhere, amazing battery life, one of the best music stores around, sweet UI.

vartanarsen
Jul 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
I hear people saying Zune, but doesnt this kind of look like a mini-Nokia Lumia 800?....

greytmom
Jul 23, 2012, 11:49 PM
To me it looks like the 4th gen Nano, with a touch screen.

TimAlia
Jul 23, 2012, 11:59 PM
Yes, I'm sure Apple is going to take all the old refurbished 4th generation iPod Nanos, replace the click wheel with a home button, and try to sell it. A toddler could think of a more realistic mock-up than that.

There is no way that's the next generation nano. No way.

http://www.tutwow.com/WP25/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/finished.jpg[COLOR="#808080"]

myrtlebee
Jul 24, 2012, 12:03 AM
iPods should focus on music and audio. I would like an iPod nano that is similar to the mockup that includes built in AM/ FM radio as well as an included internet streaming radio app or the ability to download a comparible app and other simple apps, which would require wifi. But..... not holding my breath.

JordanJ
Jul 24, 2012, 12:06 AM
The iPod touch is a really useful product (I use one regularly), however I can't see Apple updating it with mammoth specs, like whats in the iPhone 4S because they are selling way more iPhones than iPod Touches and the iPhone needs the additional processing power because it's a phone, connected to a cellular network.

And the rendition doesn't fit in with the story. A 4" screen would have an extra row of apps, to fit in line with the iPhone 5 4" screen rumours.

Rufuss Sewell
Jul 24, 2012, 12:24 AM
This needs to be the iphone nano.

G51989
Jul 24, 2012, 12:56 AM

Why?

More and more consumers are interested in bigger displays, all the major makers are going for bigger screens, and if the rumors are true, the iPhone is getting a bigger screen

iSee
Jul 24, 2012, 01:09 AM
I am hoping for a Nano redesign; my wife's 8GB is full but she hates the current design.

G51989
Jul 24, 2012, 01:11 AM
I am hoping for a Nano redesign; my wife's 8GB is full but she hates the current design.

I think many people are in agreement.

I would love to see a re vamped Nano, like with a screen.

Atm my Zune HD is my main MP3 player, because I have yet to find anything better, a Nano with a screen would interest me for sure.

miniroll32
Jul 24, 2012, 02:40 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/apple-planning-all-new-ipod-touch-and-ipod-nano-for-september-launch/)

Details on the new models are currently slim...

Pun intended? ;)

bushido
Jul 24, 2012, 02:53 AM
that render looks like one of those chinese $10 mp3 players off ebay whic break after a month

ChristianJapan
Jul 24, 2012, 02:56 AM
Important for such a Nano is (for me at least):
1) Bluetooth
2) 32 GB storage
3) if possible WiFi

In that case I would happy upgrade my iPod Touch to an iPad Mini and get music from the Nano on my BT headset.

It don't need to play Angry Birds; but AudioBooks are a must, too.
Let's hope a bit ...

Discoverer
Jul 24, 2012, 03:12 AM
iPod shuffle with Retina Display. Make it happen.

mr.bee
Jul 24, 2012, 03:16 AM
And no one knows what's up with the iMac everyone hears about mobile devices and zero on the desktops

What is this "desktop" you speak of?

plumosa
Jul 24, 2012, 03:22 AM
nothing about that mockup makes me think of Apple.

Try again!

Derek A
Jul 24, 2012, 03:28 AM
That mockup looks really cool. I like this much better than the nano that's out now- a square screen makes no sense on a device that has been able to play video for a while.

lmddawson
Jul 24, 2012, 03:42 AM
No love for the Shuffle :(

I love mine so much! Although, I'm not sure there's really that much to expand upon, the current model is fantastic. Adding more storage might lead to more time spent finding a certain song. Maybe they could boost the battery life a little?

I just can't see it going anywhere new in the foreseeable future, which is a shame.

Snookerman
Jul 24, 2012, 06:40 AM
I wish they would just go back to this with a better battery and more space:
http://i.imgur.com/2Ke9e.gif

It was the best one in my opinion and I've kept mine since I got it even though I would need more space.

deeddawg
Jul 24, 2012, 07:51 AM
The iPod nano could just use a capacity bump and slight price drop, and maybe a slightly higher resolution display.

It'd be nice if they'd make the nano sweatproof. Use it as designed today (clipped to shirt or shorts) and you'll kill it quickly. Having to swaddle it in a waterproof case is stupid.

mrobit
Jul 24, 2012, 08:04 AM
Nothing wrong with that, sure the Zune was a failure.

But have you ever used/held a Zune HD? the build quality is incredible, the OLED screen is amazing, the touch screen responsiveness blows a touch out of the water. Id even put it above the iPod touch in build quailty. Its a shame the ZuneHD never went anywhere, amazing battery life, one of the best music stores around, sweet UI.

This is why I'm sad to have seen the Zune fail. They were pretty solid devices but they just couldn't gain a share in the market as Apple already had them beat out. I was highly considering getting the ZuneHD but the future-proofing-ability (new word I mashed up there) was just not available.

Mattie Num Nums
Jul 24, 2012, 08:44 AM
Nice Zune!

shamino
Jul 24, 2012, 09:34 AM
Ever since it lost the click-wheel, it's seemed redundant to me. Take the current nano, lower the price, call it a shuffle and ditch the current shuffle.
Agreed. I absolutely love my 2nd-gen nano. But it's not likely to happen. I think Apple has permanently killed the click-wheel. It's only in the Classic, which hasn't been upgraded for a long time.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but on the other hand, I really have no need to buy a new iPod of any kind for quite a long time, no matter what Apple does, so my opinion really doesn't count for much. (My Classic works great when I want to transport all my music (e.g. in the car), my 2G-nano works great for walking about, my iPod Touch is my gaming device and PDA, and my iPhone is my phone. I can't see myself buying a new device of any kind until one of the above breaks.)
More and more consumers are interested in bigger displays, all the major makers are going for bigger screens, and if the rumors are true, the iPhone is getting a bigger screen
It can't get too much bigger. The iPhone 4s is already pretty large. Any larger and it won't fit comfortably in a pocket.

Navdakilla
Jul 24, 2012, 09:39 AM
Awesome. Now just cap off 2012 with the Apple TV!

Or even just allowing apps on the ATV3!!

randini
Jul 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
Hell yes! That was my thought exactly.

Why?

I know that most consumers are interested in bigger displays. I understand their wanting them and hope that they get what they want. However most is not all. Since I have a laptop and an ipad, I for one would love a smaller phone. Even if it can't run most apps I have the other stuff to do that. I just want a compact phone with gps/maps and music player on it. wifi would be great to tether off of, but I could live without it. I can't be the only one.

Snookerman
Jul 24, 2012, 12:47 PM
It can't get too much bigger. The iPhone 4s is already pretty large. Any larger and it won't fit comfortably in a pocket.
But the screen can. Vertically, the screen only makes up about three fifths of the phone. Looking at the iPhone next to its competitors in stores, it looks really small.

MattInOz
Jul 25, 2012, 01:32 AM

That's the way I was thinking when I saw rumours of it getting larger.
Could even just be dumb phone (voice, sms) with bluetooth or wifi so it can pair with a data only device.

They could keep the iPod Nano much the same but add Bluetooth and drop it's price to shuffle range.

That would give a nice Steve matrix
iPod ,iPhone and iPad each with a nano option

Each would work well as a standalone device, but mix them together and build the right personnel combo.

Why?

And more and more on the other end just want a phone that's a phone.
So it's seems more and more it's time for two models not just one.

emmamj
Jul 25, 2012, 04:27 AM
I love the red one.:DImage (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/apple-planning-all-new-ipod-touch-and-ipod-nano-for-september-launch/)

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has in the past offered remarkably accurate information on Apple's product plans, today released a new report addressing Apple's upcoming release plans, indicating that the company is planning for a very busy September-October schedule.

Kicking off the schedule of launches are said to be "all-new" iPod touch and iPod nano models. Details on the new models are currently slim, but the revised iPod touch is said to include the new in-cell touch display technology (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/17/next-iphone-to-have-thinner-higher-quality-screen/) that has been rumored by several sources for the next-generation iPhone.

Overall, Kuo believes that strong quarter-over-quarter growth in iPod sales for the third calendar quarter will be driven by the new iPod nano rather than the iPod touch, which will see constrained supplies due to the move in-cell touch display technology.Apple of course did not make any substantial hardware changes to the iPod touch last September, electing to merely add white models and lower the entry-level pricing from $229 to $199. Consequently, the iPod touch retained the A4-based hardware introduced in September 2010 even as the iPhone 4S moved to the new A5 system-on-a-chip.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/ipod_nano_oblong_rendering.jpg)

Mockup (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/revamped-ipod-nano-to-include-oblong-body-with-home-button/) of redesigned iPod nano with oblong body and home button
Apple likewise did not offer any major changes to the iPod nano last September, merely lowering pricing and rolling out a software update for the line. One recent rumor has claimed that the iPod nano will be seeing a complete redesign (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/revamped-ipod-nano-to-include-oblong-body-with-home-button/) with an oblong body, rectangular screen, and home button similar to that found on iOS devices. It is unclear, however, whether Kuo's sources are hearing similar details or if they only have generic information about a forthcoming redesign.

Article Link: Apple Planning 'All-New' iPod Touch and iPod Nano for September Launch? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/apple-planning-all-new-ipod-touch-and-ipod-nano-for-september-launch/)

Bartolo
Jul 26, 2012, 05:09 AM
I really appreciate a SMALL form factor when running.

How much room would gps need and how badly would it effect battery life? The only thing I'm envious of, for those who run with iPhones, is the gps-based apps. But I have no interest in running with something as big as my iPhone.

AppleDeviceUser
Jul 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
iPod shuffle with Retina Display. Make it happen.

I agree with you. :)

Jjaro
Aug 7, 2012, 12:15 AM
It'd be nice if they'd make the nano sweatproof. Use it as designed today (clipped to shirt or shorts) and you'll kill it quickly. Having to swaddle it in a waterproof case is stupid.

Dude, what are you doing wrong with your Nano? I clip mine (a 2010 version) to my shorts, left pocket, with the dock connector facing down. I have NEVER had any problems with sweat/moisture getting inside the unit. And I touch it all the time to change songs and start and stop the timer when I am working out. I use it four times a week, with no problems. It is still running strong. Are you running in the rain or something?

----------

I really appreciate a SMALL form factor when running.

How much room would gps need and how badly would it effect battery life? The only thing I'm envious of, for those who run with iPhones, is the gps-based apps. But I have no interest in running with something as big as my iPhone.

YES AGREED!! When I run, I like to have as little on my person as possible. I usually just leave my car or house unlocked when I go to run because of this (so I can leave stuff behind...like keys). I also agree that I too am a bit envious of people who run with their iPhones because of the cool GPS features, but personally just don't find it comfortable running with a band around my arm. Know what I am saying?

deeddawg
Aug 7, 2012, 08:30 AM
Dude, what are you doing wrong with your Nano? I clip mine (a 2010 version) to my shorts, left pocket, with the dock connector facing down. I have NEVER had any problems with sweat/moisture getting inside the unit. [...] Are you running in the rain or something?

No rain. Just running in the southeast US in summer, which means LOTS of sweat. I used to just clip it to my waistband (I prefer running shorts without side pockets). Incidentally this is what the instructs recommend for "best accuracy" if using the Nike+ feature.

It's still working right now; as soon as I saw the first couple of screen flickers and corrosion inside the headphone jack (along with tripped moisture sensor at the bottom of the headphone jack) I stopped clipping it to my waist. I now use an old belt-clip case I had from my 1st gen nano that worked great for years until I (stupidly) thought it'd be a good idea to send it in to Apple for that battery recall. Since the case holds it away from my body and absorbs any sweat running down the headphone wire, it seems to have stabilized the situation.

BTW, I never use the actual controls on the nano during a run; I find it much easier to use inline controls on headphones like the Phillips SHQ4007's or Sennheiser PMX680i.

Read posts on runners forums and you'll find many other people who have had 6th gen nano's die. They simply don't withstand sweaty workouts.

I also hate armbands; uncomfortable and I figure they'd leave a dorky tan line. ;)

nia820
Aug 7, 2012, 09:34 AM
How about a new classic apple? I dont care about touch screen when i want to listen to my music. I just care about if I can fit it all.

bembol
Aug 7, 2012, 09:56 AM
I love it! My favourites are the 4th & 5th Generations, not only the design but because it plays Videos.

donnaw
Aug 7, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hell yes! That was my thought exactly.

I know that most consumers are interested in bigger displays. I understand their wanting them and hope that they get what they want. However most is not all. Since I have a laptop and an ipad, I for one would love a smaller phone. Even if it can't run most apps I have the other stuff to do that. I just want a compact phone with gps/maps and music player on it. wifi would be great to tether off of, but I could live without it. I can't be the only one.

I agree. I actually bought a Veer because it's so small. I love the size. My contracts been up for almost a year but i hate to give up the tiny phone. I've found that I just don't really need much data on my phone since I got my iPad. But I still need a smartphone for a couple of things. For me, a small smartphone I can use for my ewallet and a 7-8 inch iPad for when I need something bigger when I'm out would be perfect. And my bigger iPad for the house of course.

Yeah, I do love my gadgets!