PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Update iPod Touch with 4-Inch Display, A5 Chip, Buffed Aluminum Rear Shell?

MacRumors
Jul 23, 2012, 11:22 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/24/apple-to-update-ipod-touch-with-4-inch-display-a5-chip-buffed-aluminum-rear-shell/)

In line with a fresh report (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/apple-planning-all-new-ipod-touch-and-ipod-nano-for-september-launch/) from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claiming that Apple will be updating the iPod touch later this year with an "all-new" design using the same in-cell touch display technology rumored to be used in the next iPhone, Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports (http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/index.php?ID=17197) that Apple will also be moving the iPod touch to a 4-inch display (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/22/new-part-leaks-include-taller-ipod-touch-front-panel-iphone-5-cameras/) from the current 3.5-inch display. Apple is otherwise said to be basing the iPod touch's internals on the iPhone 4S, although the case will include a "buffed aluminum" rear shell rather than the glass back of the iPhone 4S or the mirrored stainless steel of the current iPod touch.According to asian source, new iPod touch (5th generation) will have 4 inch LCD which is the same size with coming iPhone 5.

CPU or other spec is considered to be same with iPhone 4S, and has different back-case design, which will be not mirror polished but buffed alminum one. And it seems to be prepared black and white color model.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/macotakara_ipod_touch_2012_mockup.jpg
Rough mockup of fifth-generation iPod touch with buffed aluminum rear shell and larger display
The report's source also indicates that there is an additional hole in the lower portion of the rear shell, separate from the camera found on the current model. It is, however, currently unknown what the function of the hole will be.

Article Link: Apple to Update iPod Touch with 4-Inch Display, A5 Chip, Buffed Aluminum Rear Shell? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/24/apple-to-update-ipod-touch-with-4-inch-display-a5-chip-buffed-aluminum-rear-shell/)

fun173
Jul 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
I'd hit that.

wickerman1893
Jul 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
The mockup makes the screen pop. However, I doubt it will look like that, I hope not anyways.

AppleGuesser
Jul 23, 2012, 11:24 PM
Meh, I feel like the 4 inch iPhone/iPod and the 7.85 inch iPad Mini rumors is all we talk about. How about OS X Mountain Lion? I'm ready for that :D

ANTONkoolaid
Jul 23, 2012, 11:25 PM
Hello, finger print magnet.

DaMike8
Jul 23, 2012, 11:25 PM
mmm.. that's the best mockup I've seen in years ;) :sarcasm:

Bchagey
Jul 23, 2012, 11:26 PM
Good news for the iPod touch community! They need an update/refresh indeed.

bettaboy123
Jul 23, 2012, 11:27 PM
That render is extremely rough. I would like to see an iPod touch with iPhone 4S internals and the oft-rumored 4 in display and maybe even Siri. Kinda wanting the glass sandwich though... Though a brushed aluminum back would look nice and remind me of the OG iPhone. :)

utahman130
Jul 23, 2012, 11:27 PM
Don't like the rendering, but it is time for an update to the iPod touch. Hope to see Siri, A5, 4 inch screen.

sshhoott
Jul 23, 2012, 11:29 PM
Wondering if the iPod really be launched before the iPhone.

B777Forevar
Jul 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
I wonder how they would price the next gen touch.

If rumors are correct that the so called "iPad mini" would be around the 200-300 price range, then the new touch would be around 100-150.

But now, where does that leave the nano which is priced around 110-120?

dukebound85
Jul 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
what is that dimple on the back

kiwiboi87
Jul 23, 2012, 11:35 PM
nice, hopefully it will get siri
kind of a given isn't it?

don't like the mockup, but like the idea

iApples
Jul 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
They need the iPod Touch in different colours!

RobertMartens
Jul 23, 2012, 11:38 PM

The iPod touch community is kids whose parents won't spring for an iPhone yet. It's like an iPhone with training wheels. They don't need an update because soon they are older and get their own damn phone. Come on Mom, I'm going to college, how am I gonna call you and ask for money.

wordoflife
Jul 23, 2012, 11:39 PM
"buffed aluminum shell"

FINALLY.

iPods look terrible after a while because of the back.

iPhoneApple
Jul 23, 2012, 11:39 PM
The day they sell an iPod touch with 3G capabilities, I will be so happy. Really want a revamped iPod.

vartanarsen
Jul 23, 2012, 11:45 PM

That would be a hole for mag safe, my friend:)))...wishful thinkin)

FlameofAnor
Jul 23, 2012, 11:49 PM
Buffed aluminum?....... I thought for sure it would be liquid metal. ;)

Xtremehkr
Jul 23, 2012, 11:54 PM
I think I've cracked Apple's rumor strategy. Tell one rumor source who thinks they're exclusive one thing, tell another rumor source who thinks they're exclusive the opposite thing.

The next iPhone is in production already, the next iPhone is still in development.

It doesn't matter, deliver an awesome phone. Oh, and Lion and the next iMac. Mostly the next iMac. My iPhone is kind of a time sink with lousy battery life.

myrtlebee
Jul 23, 2012, 11:55 PM
or the mirrored aluminum of the current iPod touch

It's stainless steel...

jlnr
Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 PM
Siri is not a marketable feature for a highly portable Wi-Fi device IMHO. It would be hard to explain what's better about this new model without giving it a different form factor. The last iPod touch had a Retina display, and for all the hype around Infinity Blade, most App Stores games are still relatively casual and easy on the CPU.

ElZeus
Jul 23, 2012, 11:57 PM
speaker hole

damir00
Jul 23, 2012, 11:58 PM
An iPhone without voice and I'd be all over it.

deannnnn
Jul 24, 2012, 12:09 AM
I'd be down for an aluminum back, but an aluminum front? Ehhhh....

the.omnibus
Jul 24, 2012, 12:11 AM
The little dimple in the back is a mini subwoofer port, duh.

nikhsub1
Jul 24, 2012, 12:11 AM
Any "source" that calls the next iPhone the iPhone 5 is a moron and should be discredited immediately.

Reaktor5
Jul 24, 2012, 12:16 AM
Any "source" that calls the next iPhone the iPhone 5 is a moron and should be discredited immediately.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5764146/iphones.jpg
It's simple really.

isoft7
Jul 24, 2012, 12:18 AM
The dimple on the back is for earbud storage. No doubt.

commander.data
Jul 24, 2012, 12:19 AM
The shrunken 32nm A5 would work great in the iPod Touch to meet the thinner design and smaller battery compared to the iPhone 4S. I just hope they use an identical configuration as the iPhone 4S (800MHz CPU, dual core, 512MB RAM) rather than the single core AppleTV configuration which would just cause more fragmentation.

I'm thinking the cameras will be upgraded to a 720p front camera (such as OV9724 or OV9740) for FaceTime HD over WiFi and a 1080p (2MP photo) fixed focus camera (OV2722) for the rear since OmniVision seems to have these cameras now available in similar z-heights (~3mm) to the current iPod Touch cameras making them relatively straight forward upgrades. I do hope even if the iPod Touch doesn't get an IPS screen, it gets an oleophobic coating. How much cost can that coating actually add considering the major usability improvement it makes? The iPod Touch should also get a digital compass since the WiFi iPads have always had it so it's not tied to cellular functionality unlike GPS.

irDigital0l
Jul 24, 2012, 12:21 AM
The day they sell an iPod touch with 3G capabilities, I will be so happy. Really want a revamped iPod.

Its called the iPhone

Reaktor5
Jul 24, 2012, 12:25 AM
Its called the iPhone

Pretty sure he meant without a phone number attached to it like the iPad.

index1489
Jul 24, 2012, 12:26 AM
Isn't the back of the current gen iPod's stainless steel with a chrome finish? Which makes sense, chrome is hard wearing, thats why they use it on piston rods on shocks and struts.

And buffed aluminum is a really silly way of saying polished aluminum, which is great for window trim on old cars, not so great on the back of a device thats going to see a lot of abuse.

jmpnop
Jul 24, 2012, 12:27 AM
That's so ugly:mad:

antonioanmar
Jul 24, 2012, 12:29 AM
It is funny to see the Phone icon on this supposed iPod...isn,t it?
Really, this fake picture is one of the worst that never i have seen.

efktd
Jul 24, 2012, 12:29 AM
i liked the "teardrop" mockup we saw a lot of last year.

MacIke
Jul 24, 2012, 12:35 AM
WTF! No Mirrored Metal Backing!!!!!

How am I supposed to comb my hair and use it as a mirror. What has this world come to.

I hope this is true. if it is

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

nickn
Jul 24, 2012, 12:40 AM
With the Nexus Tablet having a 7 in. 1280x720 display, a quad core CPU, and a very good Tegra 3 GPU for just $200, the new iPod will have to be really cheap to even be in the race. Frankly, I am surprised Apple would even consider releasing a new iPod touch at this point.

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 12:48 AM
Now THIS looks good, unlike the other mockup. But why does the home button look all dirty, and why does it look like it's a picture taken in low light?

Roy G Biv
Jul 24, 2012, 12:49 AM
Great news for the Carolla foundation White Kids Who Don't Have iPhones. I say, when iPod Touches are this good, just let them have the bloody Touch.

iMikeT
Honestly, this iPod Touch and the iPod nano mockups are ugly.

On a separate note....

The report's source also indicates that there is an additional hole in the lower portion of the rear shell, separate from the camera found on the current model. It is, however, currently unknown what the function of the hole will be.

I have yet to meet a hole that I did not find a use for. ;)

iPhoneApple
Its called the iPhone

No. This is like people that call an iPad an oversized iPod touch.

thank you

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 12:50 AM
Image (http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002244565/424919625_not_sure_if_serious_or_just_stupid_thumb_xlarge.jpeg)

Don't you mean "Not sure if not serious or just stupid."?

And I don't see what's so stupid about wanting an iPod touch with 4G. I'd take that over an iPhone that comes with SMS and phone calls, which are both useless. It's probably never going to happen because of the cell companies.

Defender2010
Jul 24, 2012, 12:52 AM
Who cares?

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 12:53 AM

Let's just see what happens when they release it. Just saying, I'm taking a snapshot of this.

iDroe
Jul 24, 2012, 12:53 AM
It's not going to look like that. That looks like a full body cheap mirror screen protector.

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 12:54 AM
LOL why is the battery dead?

miss.manson
Jul 24, 2012, 12:54 AM
Is it just me or does that home button look just awful? 0.o

miss.manson
Jul 24, 2012, 12:56 AM

Wouldn't it just be an iPhone....?

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 01:03 AM
Is it just me or does that home button look just awful? 0.o

It's not just you. And why did the renderer put a Phone app on there? Has this guy never used an iPod touch?

----------

Wouldn't it just be an iPhone....?

No. It wouldn't even be a phone.

----------

"buffed aluminum shell"

FINALLY.

iPods look terrible after a while because of the back.

Really? I love the current iPod touch back, but I wouldn't mind it being buffed aluminum. Everyone has their opinion. I still like the original iPod touch design :)

----------

Meh, I feel like the 4 inch iPhone/iPod and the 7.85 inch iPad Mini rumors is all we talk about. How about OS X Mountain Lion? I'm ready for that :D

There have been plenty of articles about ML. I tried it, and it doesn't seem that revolutionary. Sure it's great, but nothing to go crazy over.

A Hebrew
Jul 24, 2012, 01:06 AM
If the battery life is much better than all the other models I would finally have a reason to upgrade my 2nd gen iPod Touch since I am still repin' the flip phone.

mnemonix
Jul 24, 2012, 01:13 AM
Image (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5764146/iphones.jpg)
It's simple really.

Yep. So simple I see an iPhone 4S with the number 5 under it, so way to invalidate you're own argument.

The only thing that's simple is you people with your ridiculous arguments as to what the damn phone will be called. It's a name. Apple can name it whatever they want and the prevailing trend is that people are already naming it the iPhone 5 not the iPhone 6. Get over it.

Colpeas
Jul 24, 2012, 01:36 AM

What do we really need is an updated iPod Classic. iTouch is for kids.

patohi
Jul 24, 2012, 01:36 AM
The lower hole????? Hmmmm My guess is an optical joystick/mouse??? Could be used for scrolling or as directional control for games... If apple ever added a controller I would image it beIng something like that...

URFloorMatt
Jul 24, 2012, 01:43 AM
I have this theory that is probably crazy, but has gotten some support today with word of redesigns for the iPod line that seem to make them more like iPads, and another mention of a refreshed iPad (in addition to the mini). I think it's possible they are going to effectively retire the iPod line this fall, kill all but the touch and nano, and rename those remaining two models as iPads instead of iPods.

The impetus for major change is the death of the 30-pin connector. It supports the idea that the iPad will get redesigned to account for it, and Apple might possibly make a few other tweaks to improve performance. If they're looking to draw attention to their "all new line of iPads," they'll want everyone to perceive the top-line model as being brand new as well.

You can all but bank on them finally axing the iPod classic and, since it lacks a screen or iOS, probably the iPod shuffle along with it, realigning their lineup as follows:

iPad (current gen): $499
iPad (last gen): $399
iPad mini: $299
iPad touch: $199
iPad nano: $99

Another possibility is that Apple could begin to brand their iPads like televisions--by their screen size--in which case we'd have the iPad 8", the iPad 8" (previous gen), the iPad 6", the iPad 4", and the iPad 2". This would be a subtle nod to the forthcoming iTV, which presumably will come in at least two screen sizes and have similar branding.

The iPod line contributes almost nothing to Apple's sales at this point. Nobody buys iPods any more, except for the devoted. And that's not a good reason to continue the line, especially with Apple shifting into the TV business next year. Notice how iPods are not part of the Apple displays in stores like Best Buy. They're elsewhere in the store. (So are iPhones, admittedly, but for a good reason: need a carrier.) Converting them to iPads might spur new interest in these products, since everyone wants an iPad but not everyone can afford them. This might even be an effective hedge against the sea of major tablets coming out this year from Google, MS, and Amazon.

Also, Apple will not want to keep products with the old connector in the lineup longer than they have to be, which I think also supports a modified iPhone 4S with the new connector coming with the new iPhone this fall. That paves the way for removing the 30-pin connector from Apple's lineup entirely a year from now, and leaving it only on the iPhone 4 until then.

(In keeping with that timeline, I'm fairly sure the MagSafe 2 will have completely replaced the MagSafe 1 in a year, unless Apple holds off a little longer than that to replace the Thunderbolt Display with a Retina Display due to panel availability.)

nikhsub1
Jul 24, 2012, 01:46 AM
?..the prevailing trend is that people are already naming it the iPhone 5 not the iPhone 6. Get over it.
and since people are generally stupid your comments make perfect sense.

kiwiboi87
Jul 24, 2012, 01:58 AM
Siri is not a marketable feature for a highly portable Wi-Fi device IMHO. It would be hard to explain what's better about this new model without giving it a different form factor. The last iPod touch had a Retina display, and for all the hype around Infinity Blade, most App Stores games are still relatively casual and easy on the CPU.

the wifi iPad is getting it, no doubt the mac will get it within the next year.. why not the iPod touch? just like downloading apps and watching you tube, people will learn that it needs wifi for siri.
and given the market of iPod touch, I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it on the iPod touch

Newtype
Jul 24, 2012, 02:02 AM
Wow lots of news today. Feels like Apple's line-ups are getting out of hand. Hope to see Apple simplify their line-ups and phase out iPod lines in favour of iPad, iPad mini and iPhone.

Reaktor5
Jul 24, 2012, 02:07 AM
Yep. So simple I see an iPhone 4S with the number 5 under it, so way to invalidate you're own argument.

The only thing that's simple is you people with your ridiculous arguments as to what the damn phone will be called. It's a name. Apple can name it whatever they want and the prevailing trend is that people are already naming it the iPhone 5 not the iPhone 6. Get over it.

...because it's the 5th generation. Did a chart with 5 iPhones confuse you?

TripHop
Jul 24, 2012, 02:18 AM
Am I the only one who expects there to be and desperately wants there to be a 128GB RAM option? I didn't read pages 2 & 3 but nothing on page one even mentioned RAM capacity as a feature they were interested in. It's the only feature that would get me to pull the trigger on the new iPod Touch. And I mean that in the sense that it's the only reason I never bought the current iPod Touch.

IE More Storage Space is the number one and only reason I would buy the next iPod Touch. :p I'm still on the 3rd generation 64GB model and have no need for any features beyond more space. The rest is all bonus gravy for me. Need more space for more music inside one iDevice please. And that goes for the iPad mini, the new iPhone (don't expect it) and the next iPad as well - including, if possible, a Maxi iPad 3.5 later this year. 64GB is NOT ENOUGH storage space for all things iOS. All my iDevices (I own 7) are FULL, FULL, FULL, FULL, FULL, FULL and FULL.

iLilana
Jul 24, 2012, 02:29 AM
...is maybe a processor, camera and retina upgrade. What I would LIKE to see is 32gb minimum storage and camera.

Che Castro
Jul 24, 2012, 02:31 AM
I wonder how they would price the next gen touch.

If rumors are correct that the so called "iPad mini" would be around the 200-300 price range, then the new touch would be around 100-150.

But now, where does that leave the nano which is priced around 110-120?

That nano should be $50

Bevz
Jul 24, 2012, 02:31 AM
yes please! ;)

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 02:34 AM
What do we really need is an updated iPod Classic. iTouch is for kids.

The iPod Classic is for pirates :p
Or people who just have a @#$%-load of CDs...
Or people who spent $60,000 on iTunes songs.

My dad actually has too much music for a Nano and puts it all on a 60GB 3rd-gen iPod (now called the Classic), but he only uses that to power a home music system and easily fits all of the desired songs on an iPod touch or iPhone. Who needs that many songs on the go?

----------

Calling the difference between the 3GS and the 4 a "generation" and also calling the difference between the 4 and the 4S a "generation" is illogical if you think about it like a ruler. You'd be using the same unit of distance to denote a 1" space and a 3" space. You could easily call the 4S "generation 4 and a half". It's evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Of course, if they did that and called the 3GS "gen 2.5", the next iPhone would be called the "iPhone 4", but we could just assume that Apple is not going to do that.

Ca$hflow
Jul 24, 2012, 02:37 AM
The iPod touch community is kids whose parents won't spring for an iPhone yet. It's like an iPhone with training wheels. They don't need an update because soon they are older and get their own damn phone. Come on Mom, I'm going to college, how am I gonna call you and ask for money.

Or it could be people in my case that already has a cell phone from work like a crack berry and doesnt need another celln phone with a typical $100 bill per month attached to it. I really hate it that camera is total crap in my 4th gen iPod touch. Apple really dropped the ball on that one feature. Looking forward for the new iPod touch to have a 5-8 megapixel camera. The camera is super handy to have. I wouldn't have thought.

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 02:41 AM
...is maybe a processor, camera and retina upgrade. What I would LIKE to see is 32gb minimum storage and camera.

You want there to be less options for storage? And it already has 2 cameras.

----------

Or it could be people in my case that already has a cell phone from work like a crack berry and doesnt need another celln phone with a typical $100 bill per month attached to it. I really hate it that camera is total crap in my 4th gen iPod touch. Apple really dropped the ball on that one feature. Looking forward for the new iPod touch to have a 5-8 megapixel camera. The camera is super handy to have. I wouldn't have thought.

Thank you. I also think that the iPhone is not very useful. The iPod touch is basically an iPhone minus the dumb scams that people are still attached to, phone calls and SMS.

rmwebs
Jul 24, 2012, 02:48 AM
Looks a bit like the Samsung galaxy s and s2

(don't shoot me!:p )

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 02:49 AM
Looks a bit like the Samsung galaxy s and s2

(don't shoot me!:p )

You're right, but it also looks more like an iPod touch 4th gen. Not to point fingers here, but there may have been a little "inspiration" from the iPod touch 4 in the S design.

Ryth
Jul 24, 2012, 02:56 AM
As others have said...many of us want everything the iPhone has other then the voice plans.

In a few more years...voice plans wont even exist (as we are seeing now). Most are no longer communicating via voice. It's mainly text/messaging/factime for many and that doesn't need a voice plan.

bungiefan89
Jul 24, 2012, 02:57 AM
The iPod touch community is kids whose parents won't spring for an iPhone yet. It's like an iPhone with training wheels. They don't need an update because soon they are older and get their own damn phone. Come on Mom, I'm going to college, how am I gonna call you and ask for money.Please, get off your high horse.
I'm a junior in college and the iPod Touch has been one of the best devices I've ever owned. It's all the awesomeness of an iPhone (it acts as a flashlight, plays games, records voices, takes pictures and videos, plays music, syncs with my iCal events, wakes me up in the morning, boasts a sexy retina display, and lets me surf the web when I don't want to pull out my laptop) except it doesn't have the phone. For some people, like myself, that's a GOOD thing!
I already have a phone. It's a cheap flip-phone with a pay-as-you-go plan. I don't want to be ball-and-chained to a 2 year contract, even if it does have 3G!
For me, the iPod Touch provides nearly all the capabilities of an iPhone (in some ways it's inferior) but at a reduced cost. It's a VERY useful digital Swiss Army knife that doesn't weigh the user down with monthly payments and contracts and data plans and all the other crazy stuff modern phones drag along with them these days.

bushido
Jul 24, 2012, 02:57 AM

well technically my iPad 4G still has a phone number, it just doesnt have the phone features

archurban
Jul 24, 2012, 03:22 AM
finally, Apple will change ipod back. I really hate the back like mirror. if this is true, I won't need case but screen protection. it will be miniature of ipad look if it is true. I really love to buy it. my ipod touch is second generation. I still use it to listen to music mainly. it's time to replace old one. but I still hesitate to make a choice between ipad and new ipod touch. nowadays I really hit to retina display ipad.

cclloyd
Jul 24, 2012, 03:23 AM
So wait, just a 4" expanded screen like the original iPhone 5? Still 960x640? I'd be fine with that. I just don't want more than a couple resolutions to deal with. Then we'd be no better than android in terms of consolidation.

Ryth
Jul 24, 2012, 03:25 AM
Please, get off your high horse.
I'm a junior in college and the iPod Touch has been one of the best devices I've ever owned. It's all the awesomeness of an iPhone (it acts as a flashlight, plays games, records voices, takes pictures and videos, plays music, syncs with my iCal events, wakes me up in the morning, boasts a sexy retina display, and lets me surf the web when I don't want to pull out my laptop) except it doesn't have the phone. For some people, like myself, that's a GOOD thing!
I already have a phone. It's a cheap flip-phone with a pay-as-you-go plan. I don't want to be ball-and-chained to a 2 year contract, even if it does have 3G!
For me, the iPod Touch provides nearly all the capabilities of an iPhone (in some ways it's inferior) but at a reduced cost. It's a VERY useful digital Swiss Army knife that doesn't weigh the user down with monthly payments and contracts and data plans and all the other crazy stuff modern phones drag along with them these days.

Yep. Agreed.

I just wish Apple would offer the latest gen iPhone as the latest gen iPod touch and let users decide if they want an iPhone or iPod Touch. Same device, same everything other then the iPhone just has the voice capabilities while the Touch would have 3G/4G/Wifi.

LET US DECIDE.

But we know Apple won't cut off their own best seller in the iPhone by putting out a version that isn't tied to a voice plan.

I wish they would though.

rmwebs
Jul 24, 2012, 03:28 AM
You're right, but it also looks more like an iPod touch 4th gen. Not to point fingers here, but there may have been a little "inspiration" from the iPod touch 4 in the S design.

I know, I know. Thinking about it it actually reminds me more of a mobile we'd have seen maybe 3 or 4 years ago. The rounded sides remind me of the iPhone 3G. I'm pretty sure that someone like LG or HTC had a similar design with a carbon-fiber style pattern on the back. Cant for the lift of me think which handset it was tho as there are simply so many that it would be impossible to make a device not look like it was based on someone elses work, even though its highly unlikely that it was.

I am liking the new look tho. I've got a 4th gen iPod Touch and I'm not a fan of the design, it feels very unfinished and slapped together.

roadbloc
Jul 24, 2012, 03:31 AM
Shockingly bad render. Why does the iPod Touch have the Phone app? Fools.

baryon
Jul 24, 2012, 03:37 AM
That's got to be the ugliest mock up of an Apple product ever.

ixodes
Jul 24, 2012, 03:40 AM

It's to make it look cute, or some such... :)

Jsameds
Jul 24, 2012, 03:55 AM
That's got to be the ugliest mock up of an Apple product ever.

Doesn't beat these iPhone mockups:

http://ployer.com/archives/pict05_iphone_r04b-thumb.jpg

http://www.gosammy.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/iphone-mockup.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/09/27/technology/wed190.jpg

juannacho
Jul 24, 2012, 04:14 AM

Image (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/09/27/technology/wed190.jpg)

GAH! That one's the ugliest thing I ever saw!! Send it to hell!

bushido
Jul 24, 2012, 04:15 AM
Am I the only one who expects there to be and desperately wants there to be a 128GB RAM option? I didn't read pages 2 & 3 but nothing on page one even mentioned RAM capacity as a feature they were interested in. It's the only feature that would get me to pull the trigger on the new iPod Touch. And I mean that in the sense that it's the only reason I never bought the current iPod Touch.

IE More Storage Space is the number one and only reason I would buy the next iPod Touch. :p I'm still on the 3rd generation 64GB model and have no need for any features beyond more space. The rest is all bonus gravy for me. Need more space for more music inside one iDevice please. And that goes for the iPad mini, the new iPhone (don't expect it) and the next iPad as well - including, if possible, a Maxi iPad 3.5 later this year. 64GB is NOT ENOUGH storage space for all things iOS. All my iDevices (I own 7) are FULL, FULL, FULL, FULL, FULL, FULL and FULL.

LOL! 128 GB of RAM:confused: my mac only has 8GB and runs just fine :rolleyes::D

MCP-511
Jul 24, 2012, 04:26 AM
If it gets the 4S camera I'd update mine. The only gripe I have with the current model is the somewhat grainy photos.

ikkejick
Jul 24, 2012, 04:34 AM
What an awfully bad render.

Skika
Jul 24, 2012, 04:50 AM
Yep. Agreed.

I just wish Apple would offer the latest gen iPhone as the latest gen iPod touch and let users decide if they want an iPhone or iPod Touch. Same device, same everything other then the iPhone just has the voice capabilities while the Touch would have 3G/4G/Wifi.

LET US DECIDE.

But we know Apple won't cut off their own best seller in the iPhone by putting out a version that isn't tied to a voice plan.

I wish they would though.

Why not just buy an unlocked iPhone then :confused:

nick_elt
Jul 24, 2012, 05:10 AM
I have this theory that is probably crazy, but has gotten some support today with word of redesigns for the iPod line that seem to make them more like iPads, and another mention of a refreshed iPad (in addition to the mini). I think it's possible they are going to effectively retire the iPod line this fall, kill all but the touch and nano, and rename those remaining two models as iPads instead of iPods.

The impetus for major change is the death of the 30-pin connector. It supports the idea that the iPad will get redesigned to account for it, and Apple might possibly make a few other tweaks to improve performance. If they're looking to draw attention to their "all new line of iPads," they'll want everyone to perceive the top-line model as being brand new as well.

You can all but bank on them finally axing the iPod classic and, since it lacks a screen or iOS, probably the iPod shuffle along with it, realigning their lineup as follows:

iPad (current gen): $499
iPad (last gen): $399
iPad mini: $299
iPad touch: $199
iPad nano: $99

Another possibility is that Apple could begin to brand their iPads like televisions--by their screen size--in which case we'd have the iPad 8", the iPad 8" (previous gen), the iPad 6", the iPad 4", and the iPad 2". This would be a subtle nod to the forthcoming iTV, which presumably will come in at least two screen sizes and have similar branding.

The iPod line contributes almost nothing to Apple's sales at this point. Nobody buys iPods any more, except for the devoted. And that's not a good reason to continue the line, especially with Apple shifting into the TV business next year. Notice how iPods are not part of the Apple displays in stores like Best Buy. They're elsewhere in the store. (So are iPhones, admittedly, but for a good reason: need a carrier.) Converting them to iPads might spur new interest in these products, since everyone wants an iPad but not everyone can afford them. This might even be an effective hedge against the sea of major tablets coming out this year from Google, MS, and Amazon.

Also, Apple will not want to keep products with the old connector in the lineup longer than they have to be, which I think also supports a modified iPhone 4S with the new connector coming with the new iPhone this fall. That paves the way for removing the 30-pin connector from Apple's lineup entirely a year from now, and leaving it only on the iPhone 4 until then.

(In keeping with that timeline, I'm fairly sure the MagSafe 2 will have completely replaced the MagSafe 1 in a year, unless Apple holds off a little longer than that to replace the Thunderbolt Display with a Retina Display due to panel availability.)

What? TF

kresh
Jul 24, 2012, 05:33 AM
Any chance of GPS?

ihuman:D
Jul 24, 2012, 05:50 AM
They should call this iOS Rumors and not Mac Rumors....anyway that is the most hideous ipod design ever!

applegigs
Jul 24, 2012, 06:00 AM
Damn this render is ugly.. looks more like the China i-Pod production line rather than Apples design.

----------

They should call this iOS Rumors and not Mac Rumors....anyway that is the most hideous ipod design ever!

Well "All" the macs came out month and something ago so now it's time of the iOS products. On a side note Apple I am waiting for my iMac refresh!

kurosov
Jul 24, 2012, 06:03 AM

Just don't power down or you'll lose all that data.

chevy57
Jul 24, 2012, 06:10 AM
I hope they are selling Pod touch with 3G/LTE capabilities. Not needing phone. cheap data plan without voice plan like tablet (3G iPad) and no contract. Can use iMessage.

Defactomonkey
Jul 24, 2012, 06:10 AM
I doubt this fantasy will become reality. They wouldn't add the phone app to the iPod Touch...just sayin.

PEN10k
Jul 24, 2012, 06:34 AM
Never gonna look like this...

Sedrick
Jul 24, 2012, 06:37 AM
That render is extremely rough. I would like to see an iPod touch with iPhone 4S internals and the oft-rumored 4 in display and maybe even Siri. Kinda wanting the glass sandwich though... Though a brushed aluminum back would look nice and remind me of the OG iPhone. :)
So you're the guy who actually wants Apple to use a glass back on more products....

ihuman:D
Jul 24, 2012, 06:38 AM
Damn this render is ugly.. looks more like the China i-Pod production line rather than Apples design.

----------

Well "All" the macs came out month and something ago so now it's time of the iOS products. On a side note Apple I am waiting for my iMac refresh!

Yes but all year round it's about iOS and the only time it's about macs is when it's near their release.

RightMACatU
Jul 24, 2012, 06:43 AM

Taller at 4" >>> Plenty of room for 128GB
Sign me up too!

----------

Just don't power down or you'll lose all that data.

He's obviously not talking about RAM here but storage :rolleyes:

jclardy
Jul 24, 2012, 06:47 AM

I agree that this is a large demographic...but there are always new preteen kids that can't afford an iPhone. And the current iPod touch will be two chipset generations old if they don't update it, which is bad for developers if they still continue to sell outdated hardware.

Rogifan
Jul 24, 2012, 07:00 AM
I hate renders because they spread around the interwebs as if they're the real thing. When in reality they're based off rumors that may or may not be true.

AFDoc
Jul 24, 2012, 07:12 AM
Sorry but is this really a major issue for you? You know what they are talking about when they say iPhone 5 correct? The majority of people are calling it the iPhone 5 and until the next iPhone (iPhone 5) is officially announced I suspect you'll have a tough time as people will continue to call it iPhone 5. Good luck keeping your head from exploding.

o0jelly0o
Jul 24, 2012, 07:12 AM
I knew they would do this to the iPod Touch like 8 months ago. It's kinda obvious

cgk.emu
Jul 24, 2012, 07:21 AM
iPod touch or iPhone mockup? Make up your mind. It has an icon that says "Phone".

hobo.hopkins
Jul 24, 2012, 07:22 AM
I think there are loads of people who would welcome a less scratch-prone backing.

telepati
Jul 24, 2012, 07:31 AM
Hope finally apple start to think and add 3G to iPod Touch...

Lancer
Jul 24, 2012, 07:34 AM
So basically it's a mini mini iPad?

Jonze
Jul 24, 2012, 07:44 AM
That is one ugly mockup

SpectatorHere
Jul 24, 2012, 07:49 AM
Ming-Chi Kuo pretty much knows what's going on.

I had hoped the tall iPhone wasn't real, but it looks like Apple has decided to provide another resolution, additional aspect ratio, and require all new after market parts for docking.

I don't doubt all of these will sell well, but this doesn't seem like a smart move.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 24, 2012, 07:50 AM
With the Nexus Tablet having a 7 in. 1280x720 display, a quad core CPU, and a very good Tegra 3 GPU for just $200, the new iPod will have to be really cheap to even be in the race. Frankly, I am surprised Apple would even consider releasing a new iPod touch at this point.

Yeah, the Nexus Tablet... Here today, gone tomorrow.

If the Kindle Fire didn't cause any damage to Apple's revenue, hardly anything will.

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 24, 2012, 07:56 AM
I can't image Apple producing an aluminum front iPod touch unless they're releasing them in colors like the nano.

LoraoTX
Jul 24, 2012, 07:58 AM

CarlosTheJackl
Jul 24, 2012, 07:58 AM

not always, I have an iPhone and will be buying the new iPhone however due to pricing I'd rather also get an iPod touch to let my friends play with, use as the music player in my car via bluetooth, and be my jailbreak testing device so that I don't mess up my entire iPhone, and have to spend two hours restoring

SpectatorHere
Jul 24, 2012, 08:04 AM
The next iPhone (http://techtoday24update.blogspot.com/) will come with a 19-pin connector rather than the 30-pin port on the current iPhone and iPad ”to make room for the earphone moving to the bottom,” two Reuters sources who are “familiar with the matter” said.

Apple has recently moved to a new dock connector on the iPhone (http://techtoday24update.blogspot.com/) Pro with Retina Display and sells an accessory so the new charging port is compatible with older chargers.

The move to use a new dock or charging port would save some space and may also allow the phone to be thinner.Which brings us to another rumor. Last week The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple will use a new type of thinner screen that will integrate the touchscreen right into the LCD.

On the current iPhone, the touchscreen is a layer on top of the LCD. The new screen technology, which is said to be currently in mass production, would allow the iPhone (http://techtoday24update.blogspot.com/) to be thinner. Previous rumors also suggested that the phone would have a slightly larger 4-inch display (the current iPhone has a 3.5-inch screen) and use the second generation of Gorilla Glass, the durable glass that covers the current iPhone (http://techtoday24update.blogspot.com/). That glass is also thinner, although it provides the same level of protection.

iPhone (http://techtoday24update.blogspot.com/)

Yep.

Unless this analyst is being burned (seems unlikely as he's a supply chain analyst with a proven record) we now know the following:

~The new iPhone leaked before WWDC--likely causing Tim Cook's talk of doubling down on security.

~Tim Cook, oddly, seemed to deceive everyone with is "one phone one size, one resolution" quote. Not only are they going to be selling multiple sized phones with different resolutions, they'll not even share a common aspect ratio.

~The new iPhone will continue to have a tiny screen. It looks to be even harder to hold.

Android is starting to look less fragmented then ever, with a far larger user base, not looked down to Apple's walled garden. If I were a developer, it seems like I'd be developing for Android.

----------

If the Kindle Fire didn't cause any damage to Apple's revenue, hardly anything will.

But you're overlooking the fact that Apple has been forced to build a 7-8" tablet in the first place. Remember how they were never going to do that?

And yeah this should push the price of the touch down considerably...so even less reason not to abandon iPhone for a cheaper and technologically superior phone from a competitor.

----------

not always, I have an iPhone and will be buying the new iPhone however due to pricing I'd rather also get an iPod touch to let my friends play with, use as the music player in my car via bluetooth, and be my jailbreak testing device so that I don't mess up my entire iPhone, and have to spend two hours restoring

Or, if the mini pushes the touch down enough in price you can get a better phone from someone else, get a new touch for cheap and not feel like you're abandoning all your apps in Apple's ecosystem.

AforAndromeda
Jul 24, 2012, 08:07 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/24/apple-to-update-ipod-touch-with-4-inch-display-a5-chip-buffed-aluminum-rear-shell/)
In line with a.....A5 Chip, Buffed Aluminum Rear Shell?[/url]

Don't really care.

Just improve the sound.

That's where the iPod started. A good product, well designed, ergonomic with style, and yet AN GOOD-AVERAGE SOUND QUALITY

Come on Apple... Improve the sound.

And what about ALAC on ithe iTunes Store - let alone FLAC?

Come on.

Apple you always were an innovator - but you are drifting behind in the sound quality.

Ann

CarlosTheJackl
Jul 24, 2012, 08:08 AM
Newsflash: the 4s was the 5th iPhone, mind blowing I know...

blackcrayon
Jul 24, 2012, 08:11 AM
Android is starting to look less fragmented then ever, with a far larger user base, not looked down to Apple's walled garden. Seems like I'd be developing for Android.[COLOR="#808080"]

You're saying something just happened which made having 2 possible resolution/aspect ratios for iOS handhelds more "fragmented" than having all of the many different ones for devices running Android?

And I'm not sure the "far larger user base" for Android is a slam dunk from a development standpoint, just ask Madfinger games. Seems like you need a far larger user base that also is willing to buy your app, unless it's free.

SpectatorHere
Jul 24, 2012, 08:21 AM
You're saying something just happened which made having 2 possible resolution/aspect ratios for iOS handhelds more "fragmented" than having all of the many different ones for devices running Android?

And I'm not sure the "far larger user base" for Android is a slam dunk from a development standpoint, just ask Madfinger games. Seems like you need a far larger user base that also is willing to buy your app, unless it's free.

You have two resolutions for iPads, at least two for iPhone (3 if you count the 3Gs), and now three aspect ratios (iPhone, new iPhone, iPad).

I'm not saying people will stop developing for iPhone. What I am saying is that none of these developments makes it easier to develop for them, while Android continues to become easier to develop for and provide better hardware (all with a larger user base which continues to grow).

Wouldn't you HAVE to develop for Android at this point? Sure, you'll develop for iOS too, but you'd be silly to ignore Android.

As Apple stagnates, Android hardware now leads the way, Android OS continues to improve, app development will continue to shift over to Android.

This leaves Apple with an expensive product that used to be cool.

I love my iPhone, but I'd say it's likely now I'll be moving to a flagship Android phone soon. The only Apple product that really interests me is the new mini-iPad...and we'll have to see what price point that comes in at.

lucas107
Jul 24, 2012, 08:30 AM
Since the galaxy s came up. Great device for music or kids. 80$ used on eBay. Just for someone on the fence about a touch.

blackcrayon
Jul 24, 2012, 08:32 AM
You have two resolutions for iPads, at least two for iPhone (3 if you count the 3Gs), and now three aspect ratios (iPhone, new iPhone, iPad).

I'm not saying people will stop developing for iPhone. What I am saying is that none of these developments makes it easier to develop for them, while Android continues to become easier to develop for and provide better hardware (all with a larger user base).

But the resolutions that are exact multiples do not really "count"- they are extremely easy to develop for once you start supporting the higher resolution device (you just need one high res bitmap and then a "1/2 sized" version). It's not like they require a re-layout of your app.

I think if you ask most developers that develop for both platforms which one is easier (from a resolution/aspect ratio perspective) they'll tell you it's still MUCH easier on iOS devices. And that's not to mention the different CPU and GPU nuances are far more varied on devices running Android.

You're right, Apple changing screens doesn't make things easier, but it has a pretty long way to go before it reaches Android-like complexity. And any developer worth his/her salt isn't going to find much of a problem adapting to a new resolution/aspect ratio every few years which is the rate Apple seems to be going (again, I don't count exact pixel doubles as being a serious problem for developers).

SkippyThorson
Jul 24, 2012, 08:38 AM

Are you thinking of Pewter? Look at any anodized Aluminum MacBook or any Brushed Aluminum kitchen sink. Finger prints are pretty difficult - unless they're covered in pasta sauce or fresh paint.

However, after 5 minutes of use with a freshly cleaned iPod Touch will leave the mirrored-polished-steel back covered in finger prints. It's always been that way...

Android is starting to look less fragmented then ever, with a far larger user base, not looked down to Apple's walled garden. If I were a developer, it seems like I'd be developing for Android.

Android is LESS fragmented than Apple?

Apple may introduce a new aspect ratio. If they do, there will be a 3rd market for iOS Apps under the new ratio. There are currently only 2 - iPod Touch & iPhone, or iPad. A developer then chooses to update the App for Retina capability. Even still, you had better believe that the older Apps will be compatible with the new iPhone.

That was a pretty clueless comment. Android is less fragmented? Don't make me laugh.

AppleNewsTech
Jul 24, 2012, 08:39 AM
Do you guys realize that on the new iPhone, it's going to be very close to the iPod touch. They're not going to make the iPhone display just taller, and make the iPod display wider and taller. The iPhone renderings that have been leaked are fake. Also, if there is a metal back on the iPod touch, and there has to be one on the iPhone. My conclusion, the New iPhone renderings that where leaked are fake! (all of this was done with dictation on my MacBook Pro!)

lozpop
Jul 24, 2012, 08:40 AM
If the iPod touch will be announced in September, it means that Apple will show its first 4" display before the iPhone launch?

That would be strange. The iPod touch has always been updated after the iPhone.

Meandmunch
Jul 24, 2012, 08:41 AM

I think the intent here is less fingerprints. The current design with its mirror finish is the ultimate fingerprint collector.

Rocketman
Jul 24, 2012, 08:45 AM
Wow, a lot of mocking in this thread.

I think it is more likely a misdirection leak than anything, but . . . .

The useful purpose for such a hole is a place to click your iPod into a mount, likely a car mount.

Apple wants to sell you a Mac, an iPhone and preferably an iPad too. Wouldn't it be great (for them) if they could sell you yet another device for each car or bike?

Look for the click hole on an iPod Touch and an iPad 7 for usage in "places".

Or it's just a misdirection leak to catch a leaker.

Rocketman

Jsameds
Jul 24, 2012, 08:48 AM
So basically it's a mini mini iPad?

iPad Nano ;)

mex4eric
Jul 24, 2012, 08:58 AM
The useful purpose for such a hole is a place to click your iPod into a mount, likely a car mount.

Apple wants to sell you a Mac, an iPhone and preferably an iPad too. Wouldn't it be great (for them) if they could sell you yet another device for each car or bike?

Look for the click hole on an iPod Touch and an iPad 7 for usage in "places".

Rocketman

I like it! An iPod touch or 7" iPad for every car! Navigation. Also maybe with 4G cell data - a local hotspot for your car.

SpectatorHere
Jul 24, 2012, 09:00 AM
Are you thinking of Pewter? Look at any anodized Aluminum MacBook or any Brushed Aluminum kitchen sink. Finger prints are pretty difficult - unless they're covered in pasta sauce or fresh paint.

However, after 5 minutes of use with a freshly cleaned iPod Touch will leave the mirrored-polished-steel back covered in finger prints. It's always been that way...

iOS has a smaller user base than Android?

Wait, wait...

Android is LESS fragmented than Apple?

Apple may introduce a new aspect ratio. If they do, there will be a 3rd market for iOS Apps under the new ratio. There are currently only 2 - iPod Touch & iPhone, or iPad. A developer then chooses to update the App for Retina capability. Even still, you had better believe that the older Apps will be compatible with the new iPhone.

That was a pretty clueless comment. Android is less fragmented? Don't make me laugh.

No Android is clearly far more fragmented than iOS, that would be a silly thing to say. What I'm saying that as things are going, Android is becoming easier to develop for.

And, I could be wrong, but I believe Android does have a larger user base.

Lennholm
Jul 24, 2012, 09:00 AM

Every 3G subscription, even if it's dedicated exclusively to data, has a number attached, that's simply how the 3G standard works. Your iPad-data-only 3G subscription can potentially be used to make phone calls if you put the SIM-card in a device that supports it and your carrier hasn't actively restricted that service.
In other words, a 3G iPod touch wouldn't be anything less than an iPhone without the phone app.

If iPhone 4 and 4S is the same generation then surely the 3G and 3GS is the same gen as well, which means 3G/3GS == 2nd gen, 4/4S == 3rd gen and upcoming new iPhone == 4th gen. Can't you see your logic eats itself?

SpectatorHere
Jul 24, 2012, 09:04 AM
Do you guys realize that on the new iPhone, it's going to be very close to the iPod touch. They're not going to make the iPhone display just taller, and make the iPod display wider and taller. The iPhone renderings that have been leaked are fake. Also, if there is a metal back on the iPod touch, and there has to be one on the iPhone. My conclusion, the New iPhone renderings that where leaked are fake! (all of this was done with dictation on my MacBook Pro!)

I was pretty darn convinced the tall iPhone leaks were fake as well. I kept on asking for confirmation from reliable sources. This guy is reliable. He had the 4s nailed pretty darn early, he knew iPad 2 wasn't going to get a Retina display....

Not to say he couldn't be wrong, but this is not just some guy out make a name for himself. If he's saying it's going to be a 4" screen, I think you can take it to the bank.

i\/i
Jul 24, 2012, 09:06 AM
Apple should rebrand the ipod touch, as an iPad Mini, and add a 4g data, turning it into a voip phone.

I know the phone companies would hate it, but this would allow people to ditch their phone and texting plans and just use skype or other voip software when they need voice. Quality may be reduced, but many wouldn't mind.

With a data connection and no voice, this could give consumers a cheaper alternative to the new massively overpriced share everything data plans.

My phone bill could go down from $80 for phone, txt and 2gb of data to an ipad plan of $25 for 2gb of data which i would only use when not near wifi.

Eidorian
Jul 24, 2012, 09:07 AM
I still get awkward looks when I tell people the age of the hardware inside the iPod Touch. It is about time. Maybe we can add GPS this time?

mykhaeli
Jul 24, 2012, 09:16 AM
I say the rear hole is for the NFC abilities.

WardC
Jul 24, 2012, 09:23 AM
If the new iPhone/iPod Touch has rounded edges, then I really like this...one thing I cannot stand about the current design is the sharp edges, it makes the whole device so uncomfortable to hold and grip, it should be more ergonomic and easy on the hands.

mono1980
Jul 24, 2012, 09:24 AM
The iPods should go rubbery plastic like the Lumia phones. That would be cheap, but lovely (and colorful). And it would set them apart from the iPhone too.

baleensavage
Jul 24, 2012, 09:24 AM
It's about time they got rid of that shiny scratch attracting back. And yay for bigger screen and faster innards. I just hope it has a better camera. The camera in the current iPod touch is terrible. I never understood the need for a better camera in the iPad, but the touch makes complete sense to have a great camera in it.

myrtlebee
Jul 24, 2012, 09:25 AM
I actually prefer the stainless steel. It's much stronger- does not dent when dropped (and, oh yes, I have dropped mine with barely a nick). I think the aluminum looks worse when it is scratched because the scratches take on a darker color and it just looks dingy. I have had my iPod touch for a year and the back has some scratches but nothing to write home about. I say stick with the nearly indestructable steel and maybe come up with another finish instead of the highly polished chrome that conceals blemishes better.

Ryth
Jul 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
Why not just buy an unlocked iPhone then :confused:

You could do that but remember only since last model did they allow that. Plus you are paying for capabilities in a handset that you don't want. Not sure how much cheaper it would be without the voice capabilities in terms of breakdown.

I think the more interesting question is when does the line blur between the iPhone really no longer needing 'voice' due to that becoming an archaic form of communication? I barely see anyone using voice that much out of my group of friends when we're together. Its almost always text/messaging and if not that, then facetime.

Navdakilla
Jul 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Don't like the rendering, but it is time for an update to the iPod touch. Hope to see Siri, A5, 4 inch screen.

Agreed. About time :D

shawnwich
Jul 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
You could do that but remember only since last model did they allow that. Plus you are paying for capabilities in a handset that you don't want. Not sure how much cheaper it would be without the voice capabilities in terms of breakdown.

I think the more interesting question is when does the line blur between the iPhone really no longer needing 'voice' due to that becoming an archaic form of communication? I barely see anyone using voice that much out of my group of friends when we're together. Its almost always text/messaging and if not that, then facetime.

I think that line will blur down the road eventually, but for now the line is strong and clear.

I still know a girl with a Motorola RAZR.

Wender
Jul 24, 2012, 10:02 AM
I don't really care what the new iPod looks like, I just want it to hold all my 300GB of music and I know that's not happening anytime soon. I just hate having to select what to take with me and I always feel I leave something behind, which I do.

pubwvj
Jul 24, 2012, 10:04 AM
Glad to see they're going back to the smooth form factor and metal back. I detest the look and feel of the boxy 4th generation. The glass backs were trouble. I would rather have scratches on the metal than broken backs.

bwillwall
Jul 24, 2012, 10:12 AM

You're kidding right? The glossy metal was a finger print magnet... This metal isn't at all.

hostins
Jul 24, 2012, 10:17 AM
uuuu HiPhone 5 mockup

LotusLord
Jul 24, 2012, 10:22 AM
Easily the ugliest mockup I've ever seen.

nikhsub1
Jul 24, 2012, 10:49 AM
Sorry but is this really a major issue for you? You know what they are talking about when they say iPhone 5 correct? The majority of people are calling it the iPhone 5 and until the next iPhone (iPhone 5) is officially announced I suspect you'll have a tough time as people will continue to call it iPhone 5. Good luck keeping your head from exploding.
Nope not a major issue at all. Just shows the stupidity of people for calling it that is all and no, my head is just fine thanks.

Eidorian
Jul 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
Why not just buy an unlocked iPhone then :confused:Which would be nice but just like every other phone out there you are looking to start at ~US$650.

Unless it is a Galaxy Nexus.

wiredup72
Jul 24, 2012, 11:13 AM

My dad actually has too much music for a Nano and puts it all on a 60GB 3rd-gen iPod (now called the Classic), but he only uses that to power a home music system and easily fits all of the desired songs on an iPod touch or iPhone. Who needs that many songs on the go?

Some of us don't listen to crappy mp3's and want to load ALAC or at least bitrates at 356k or higher.

I don't buy iTunes songs because they come in crappy formats and bit rates. I rip CD's and I am waiting for a 250gb hard drive at least and Apple has taken away the ability to upgrade the hard drive yourself in the 6th generation without entirely breaking the case. Thanks Apple.

chekz0414
Jul 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
You all are forgetting....the new resolution for this new iPod touch and iPhone would be 1136x640...developers can put black borders for apps that aren't to that specification instead of adding another resolution. Also anybody who says iPod touch needs to be discontinued is obviously not thinking like Apple, Here is the deal:

The Market is being dominated by smaller tablets and "Pocket" tablets...

A) That forces Apple to make a 7.85" iPad (Smaller Tablet)

B) Enlarge the iPhone, and iPod touch (Pocket Tablet without a contract and CAN be used to call over WiFi)

C) An Unlocked iPhone costs almost $1000 dollars for the highest GB...I can pay a few hundred more and get a Mac. So the iPod touch makes things affordable.

My thoughts on the new iPod touch,

The Internals must match the 4S, for it to be successful meaning the next iPhone may have an A5X chip and here is why...

iPod touch and iPhone 4S will have the A5 and support ALL of iOS 6's features and will also probably see ALL of iOS 7 and start to weaken by iOS 8, right now the iPad 2 also has an A5, but that iPad will only go up to iOS 7 as Apple has showed us they do not support iPads for very long. The iPod touch would have a longer market stay compared to any iPad brand in terms of software support as iOS 6 has shown us all. Only the iPad 3rd generation has the A5X which is why it must be on the iPhone as well, or else that would cause a drift in iOS.

I expect the new touch to feature

- Siri
- AirPlay Mirroring
- Dictation
- 1080p Recording
- Digital Compass (iPhoto app needs this)
- A Battery Percentage built in meter (Apple Developers have told me the current touch doesn't have the hardware to display the percentage of battery)

- and lastly it should ship with iOS 6 or 6.1

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 11:20 AM
Some of us don't listen to crappy mp3's and want to load ALAC or at least bitrates at 356k or higher.

I don't buy iTunes songs because they come in crappy formats and bit rates. I rip CD's and I am waiting for a 250gb hard drive at least and Apple has taken away the ability to upgrade the hard drive yourself in the 6th generation without entirely breaking the case. Thanks Apple.

Even with Apple Lossless, that's a LOT of songs. I think the iTunes Store should use Apple Lossless, not lossy compressed AAC.

gjan
Jul 24, 2012, 11:26 AM
Please Apple! Hear my prayers! I am waiting since yeeears for a 128GB iPod Touch...! That's the only reason I didn't update my 3rd gen 64 iPod Touch yet...I could buy the Classic one, I know, but really don't wanna miss the touch-features. Maybe for some people it sounds crazy to store so much music on one device but some people really need it and want it! I guess Apple could really sell a lot of 128gb iPod Touchs.

Liquinn
Jul 24, 2012, 11:26 AM
This means my 64GB white iPod touch will be out of date if true.

Damn :(

Intarweb
Jul 24, 2012, 11:27 AM
Worst mock-up ever.

Rocketman
Jul 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
In the ClickMount-tm thing, so long as the hole to dock distance is the same on all iDevices, they will universally fit any mount. So you could buy an iPod Touch (iPad4) or an iPad Mini (iPad8) and they will both fit in the same ClickDock-tm. A ClickDock-tm can be mounted to any car, bike, kitchen, etc.

The ClickDock-tm goes to power, external accessories like printers, drives, speakers, microphone, antenna boosters, etc.

ClickMount-tm is not device width dependent at all. It is simply dependent on a dock connector hole and ClickMount-tm hole compatibility, size, spacing. The place where the device sits can be arbitrary width from near zero to perhaps a couple of inches for extra stability.

The new dock connector recepticle likely accounts for a strong attachment option.

Rocketman

SockRolid
Jul 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
[...]
The report's source also indicates that there is an additional hole in the lower portion of the rear shell, separate from the camera found on the current model. It is, however, currently unknown what the function of the hole will be. [...]

Could be for a solid-state sextant. You'd hold the iPod touch face-down in the sun (and at night for navigating with the stars) and it would calculate your position.

This could be a huge feature for the non-GPS yachting crowd.

Lennholm
Jul 24, 2012, 11:48 AM
Could be for a solid-state sextant. You'd hold the iPod touch face-down in the sun (and at night for navigating with the stars) and it would calculate your position.

This could be a huge feature for the non-GPS yachting crowd.

Hey, a sarcasm tag is a great idea, the text should be rendered in Comic Sans :D

peterdevries
Jul 24, 2012, 11:55 AM
Glad to see they're going back to the smooth form factor and metal back. I detest the look and feel of the boxy 4th generation. The glass backs were trouble. I would rather have scratches on the metal than broken backs.

How many broken backs (or fronts) have you had?

mdriftmeyer
Jul 24, 2012, 11:55 AM
Back panel looks like it houses a speaker.

dcorban
Jul 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
There is some truth to this. I have around 200 music CDs ripped to 256k VBR, and another 43 video game soundtracks in 200-300k VBR and my library is only 26GB. My six year old 30GB iPod can hold my entire library. What could fill a 120GB iPod classic?

Obi-Wan Kubrick
Jul 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
Phone icon on the iPod Touch...

nickn
Jul 24, 2012, 12:25 PM

You are correct, it will be gone tomorrow. Sales are hot, and they can't be stocked! The tablet has pretty much sold out for the forseable future. Remind me how the Nexus will not have bitten into Apples sales a few months from now... Everyone on MR was saying how the Galaxy S3 wouldn't go anywhere, and how it wouldn't hurt the iPhone 4S, but already the S3 has sold over 10 million copies in just a few months. If Google markets the Nexus well, it will kill the iPod touch. Why would anyone buy the iPod when the Nexus 7 tablet has a larger and better display, a faster CPU and GPU, a better battery, a GPS, and is cheaper when the $25 Google play credit is factored in?

nuckinfutz
Jul 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
You are correct, it will be gone tomorrow. Sales are hot, and they can't be stocked! The tablet has pretty much sold out for the forseable future. Remind me how the Nexus will not have bitten into Apples sales a few months from now... Everyone on MR was saying how the Galaxy S3 wouldn't go anywhere, and how it wouldn't hurt the iPhone 4S, but already the S3 has sold over 10 million copies in just a few months. If Google markets the Nexus well, it will kill the iPod touch.

Out of stock means absolutely nothing until we know how many units have been shipped to consumers.

damir00
Jul 24, 2012, 12:34 PM
What could fill a 120GB iPod classic?

(Apple equivalent of) FLAC.

Space goes in a hurry...I've long since outgrown my 160GB...

bobob
Jul 24, 2012, 12:36 PM
An iPhone without voice and I'd be all over it.

The new iPod Touch 4G FTW!

wiredup72
Jul 24, 2012, 12:56 PM
There is some truth to this. I have around 200 music CDs ripped to 256k VBR, and another 43 video game soundtracks in 200-300k VBR and my library is only 26GB. My six year old 30GB iPod can hold my entire library. What could fill a 120GB iPod classic?

My entire library, which is ripped in FLAC so that my CD's never have to be used and stay un-scratched, is 1.4 Terabytes and growing.

I have even ripped vinyl LP's just to have on my Linux QNAP server which is 6TB RAID5 and also holds DVD's. Plus I backup my entire server separately.
Hence, my desire to have a bigger Classic so I could compress my library down to a level acceptable to me, so that I can take it with me to client demos, my car, trips, other friends homes or anywhere I wish.
I am in the Audiophile business, hand build tube amps and speakers, and it helps to have the highest resolution files to play for prospective clients.

I do have the option of opening my server up with a secure port so I can access it from the web and just use my iPhone to stream. I just haven't wanted to deal with the security just yet.

I may just buy an older 5th generation Classic so I can change out the hard drive myself, but I figured they would eventually update the Classic.
Oh Well :(

If they don't make one, I'll live.

charlesdayton
Jul 24, 2012, 01:09 PM
Please guys stop posting these ugly renderings.

crono3
Jul 24, 2012, 01:13 PM
Really, REALLY hoping they finally bump the Touch up to 128gb. My iPod Touch is about 3 years old now and it's been at capacity for the last year or more. And I don't use lossless. Most of my music is at 192k or above... I just have a lot of it (purchased), plus apps and more. I've had to pretty much stop buying apps for awhile (which I'm sure isn't what Apple wants) since it's such a pain to figure out what to remove each time.

anthony11
Jul 24, 2012, 01:33 PM

It's also for autistic kids. I really don't want LD bills if my son calls Borneo.

----------

I am in the Audiophile business, hand build tube amps and speakers, and it helps to have the highest resolution files to play for prospective clients

I may just buy an older 5th generation Classic so I can change out the hard drive myself, but I figured they would eventually update the Classic.
Oh Well :(.

Why not just by an 11" MBA and avoid all the hassle?

----------

Please guys stop posting these ugly renderings.

Let's see yours. Oh, you don't have one? Then ****.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 24, 2012, 01:56 PM
You are correct, it will be gone tomorrow. Sales are hot, and they can't be stocked! The tablet has pretty much sold out for the forseable future. Remind me how the Nexus will not have bitten into Apples sales a few months from now... Everyone on MR was saying how the Galaxy S3 wouldn't go anywhere, and how it wouldn't hurt the iPhone 4S, but already the S3 has sold over 10 million copies in just a few months. If Google markets the Nexus well, it will kill the iPod touch. Why would anyone buy the iPod when the Nexus 7 tablet has a larger and better display, a faster CPU and GPU, a better battery, a GPS, and is cheaper when the $25 Google play credit is factored in?

I heard that before with the HP TouchPAD (and other "iPad alternatives"). HP claimed huge sales, but all it was were units sitting at the stores' shelves, which later were returned back to HP after the failure was acknowledged.

I know people who bought other tablets and later regret it and bought an iPad.

I was at the Miami Airport on Sunday and there were a lot of people waiting in the Arrivals terminal, all the people I could spot carrying a mobile device were carrying either an iPhone or an iPad. And it was a lot of people!

----------

Out of stock means absolutely nothing until we know how many units have been shipped to consumers.

It couldn't have been said any better than that!

Regbial
Jul 24, 2012, 02:01 PM

I'm 22 and love my iPod touch. It is like a computer that fits in my pocket. Slimmer than the iPhone, I barely feel it in my pocket. iPod touch and way cheaper phone is the way for me, thanks.

lazer155
Jul 24, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'm 22 and love my iPod touch. It is like a computer that fits in my pocket. Slimmer than the iPhone, I barely feel it in my pocket. iPod touch and way cheaper phone is the way for me, thanks.

Completely agree. That is the setup I am using now and have been since the ipod touch 3rd gen came out.

OmniDragon
Jul 24, 2012, 02:12 PM
I hope this becomes more than just a rumor. And, when it does, I'll be saying something like: It's about freakin time. :) Hopefully, it will be sporting an updated front and rear facing camera, as the current one is junk. The camera on my ancient LG cell phone takes better pics than my 4G iPod Touch. That's just sad. Though, the iPod Touch does take better video...only because my cellphone doesn't even have that capability.

This update has been quite a long time coming. Again, crossing my fingers hoping this isn't just a rumor. :)

iEvolution
Jul 24, 2012, 02:28 PM

I love the elitists that think that the iPod Touch is a kids toy and the iPhone is a man's toy. As if the devices are some how radically different from one another.

Outside of phone functions and phone feature dependent apps there isn't much if a difference between the two, so the idea that the iPod Touch is a kids toy and the iPhone is for adults is completely unfounded.

Furthermore, many of us already have a cell phone that suites us just fine.

-------

On to the topic, yeah I think its not just a option to add the A5 at this point but necessary because the A4 is getting pretty outdated and is eventually going to limit developers of what they can develop to keep compatibility; its either support the latest or support the most.

memory upgrade needs to happen too, 256MB just doesn't cut it. I don't care how many people tell me that you don't need to close apps; if you don't clear apps for a long period of time with the iPod Touch then it starts to lag heavily.

MarkNY
Jul 24, 2012, 02:56 PM
With AT&T's new family shared data plans, an iPod Touch with GSM would only cost $10 per month.

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 03:09 PM

Oh, I thought it was 240GB and just checked to find that it's 160GB. I have a lot of music from CDs, and my whole library is only 38GB.

----------

Oh Well :(

Wait, can you get a SATA drive into, or more like "taped to", an iPod? I'd like to see a 2TB iPod just for the heck of it.

Eidorian
Jul 24, 2012, 03:13 PM
Wait, can you get a SATA drive into, or more like "taped to", an iPod? I'd like to see a 2TB iPod just for the heck of it.1.8" drive replacement is not that rare of a thing to see. 320 GB drives are circa 2010 the last time I checked.

bobob
Jul 24, 2012, 03:25 PM
Wait, can you get a SATA drive into, or more like "taped to", an iPod? I'd like to see a 2TB iPod just for the heck of it.

"With 2TB of storage, your iPod can hold up to 500,000 songs, 2,500 hours of video, or 312,500 photos.** (http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/) That’s more than enough room for a day’s — or a lifetime’s — worth of entertainment."

Mike1298
Jul 24, 2012, 03:41 PM
I'm getting that to compare it against the 4g and doing a giveaway!

irDigital0l
Jul 24, 2012, 04:24 PM
No. This is like people that call an iPad an oversized iPod touch.

Expect it makes sense for the iPad to have a cellular version.

For an iPod touch...not so much.

faroZ06
Jul 24, 2012, 04:46 PM
1.8" drive replacement is not that rare of a thing to see. 320 GB drives are circa 2010 the last time I checked.

No no no no
3.5" :D

Eidorian
Jul 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
No no no no
3.5" :DYeah, after I posted that reply I remembered the taped on 3.5" drive iPod. ;)

wiredup72
Jul 24, 2012, 04:51 PM
Why not just by an 11" MBA and avoid all the hassle?[COLOR="#808080"]

Because it doesn't fit in my pocket and I want an iPod Classic, not a MBA.

Mike1298
Jul 24, 2012, 05:03 PM
I say the rear hole is for the NFC abilities.

NFC doesn't need a whole!

baryon
Jul 24, 2012, 05:50 PM

Image (http://ployer.com/archives/pict05_iphone_r04b-thumb.jpg)

Image (http://www.gosammy.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/iphone-mockup.jpg)

Image (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/09/27/technology/wed190.jpg)

lol, that last one is pretty good I can't deny that… :D

lavy
Jul 24, 2012, 06:10 PM

Okay, seriously? Do you realize how much of an insult that is to anyone on an iPod touch? It's true, there are a lot of 10 year olds that have the iPod touch because no parent in their right mind would buy a 10 year old an iPhone and most 10 year olds can't afford one. But that isn't everybody. For some people an iPod touch is a way to have the iOS experience without paying $100 a month for a phone plan, which is a lot more money than the one time purchase of an iPod touch that could last you 3 years on a $300 purchase. It is much cheaper to buy a simple phone plan and an iPod touch than to buy an iPhone. Plus, WiFi is almost everywhere these days-really the only place you can't find it is in the car. There are also some that are stuck on a phone plan for another company and want to be able to get smartphone like capabilities. Others are using a different type of smartphone and want to be able to use the many iOS exclusive features and apps. I apologize if this sounds like I'm pissed at you specifically, because I'm not. This is a common way to think of the iPod touch and even Steve Jobs himself thought of the iPod touch as an "iPhone with training wheels". But I'm just saying, the iPod touch is not just used by "kids whose parents won't spring for an iPhone yet".

smoledman
Jul 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
If it doesn't have 80GB storage, I don't care.

nia820
Jul 24, 2012, 09:11 PM
That would interesting. I was kind of dissapoited that there was an update last year. Hopefully there will be an update.

If it doesn't have 80GB storage, I don't care.

Yeah there needs to be more storage. I'm still using my 160gb iPod classic because of the volume of music and movies I got.

Lancer
Jul 24, 2012, 09:15 PM
I like it! An iPod touch or 7" iPad for every car! Navigation. Also maybe with 4G cell data - a local hotspot for your car.

I've seen that done with the 10" iPad but for most it's a bit big, unless you've got a 'truck' or camper.

I have a 5" Garmin but a 7" iPad could be the go :)

ETA - I still have an 80Gb Classic, hardly use it but it's nice to have on long trips.

twoodcc
Jul 24, 2012, 09:16 PM
i would like to see this happen. i think there is a market for the iPod Touch

jomarr
Jul 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
I really want the 128 GB Storage.

I'm thinking about ditching my iPod touch 4G for a Classic since my love for music grew and grew. I only have 20 GB of storage and I filled up the 8 GB in a matter of a month :eek:

But if they make a 128 GB model, I might just buy that.

zub3qin
Jul 24, 2012, 10:07 PM

I bet it is a dimple that "docks" to a conductive charging unit......

netapple
Jul 25, 2012, 01:21 AM
How about the camera? I have iPod 4 right now. I like it very much except for the camera. The resolution is too low to be useful. The next one should have at least a 3M or higher. Likely?

warpoholic
Jul 25, 2012, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by faroZ06

Thanks for offending me!
I have an all legal iTunes library with 80GB of music (up to 12000 tracks) and a bunch of boxes with CD's which are waiting for being re-ripped in lossless quality.

When my iPod Photo stopped to work, I took my old expensive DiscMan out of the drawer and figured how much better my music sound in higher resolution.
But a iPod Classic just does not feel right, after having had the joy of using a touch.
(and after I killed 5 HD's by dropping my iPod)

peacenfunk
Jul 25, 2012, 06:52 AM
How about the camera? I have iPod 4 right now. I like it very much except for the camera. The resolution is too low to be useful. The next one should have at least a 3M or higher. Likely?

Agreed. Even if it had the same camera as the new iPad. That would be a great upgrade. Anyone with an iPod Touch knows you can't really take too great a shot with the current cameras

SockRolid
Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
Hey, a sarcasm tag is a great idea, the text should be rendered in Comic Sans :D

LOL. Next time I'll use Comic Sans. For "emphasis"!!! :)

----------

NFC doesn't need a whole!

I think the hole will be for either one of two things. Possibly both:

1. "Needle alarm." If iPhone detects that it's in your pocket, and it's in silent mode, and if it's facing your thigh, it will stick you with a needle when time's up. It would even wake you if you're sleeping.

2. "Laser emitter." You'd be able to instantly use 90% of the iPhone's remaining battery charge in a single burst of laser energy. Just the thing for cutting ropes or starting fires in an emergency situation.

MacIke
Jul 26, 2012, 12:48 PM
Can we please stop bitching how Fugly the mock up is, we got it.

The phone app could be a VOIP service, I use Bobsled on my 3rd Gen iPod Touch on a regular basis. I actually prefer it over my phone when I have wifi.

Lots of adults use iPod Touch for various reasons. Why I do not use an iPhone is simple, the cost for a family plan even without a smartphones is more money than what I am using on T-Mobile. And these shared plans are even worse.

All I really have to say is: :apple: put up and take my money.

MattDell
Jul 26, 2012, 04:55 PM
I really think I'm going to be disappointed with this and I really wish Apple would at least strive to match what's on offer with the Android options.

netapple
Jul 26, 2012, 08:05 PM
I really think I'm going to be disappointed with this and I really wish Apple would at least strive to match what's on offer with the Android options.

This is iPod and not iPhone. There isn't an Android option.

Do you think that iPhone 5 won't match Android phones?

PAGUTME
Jul 26, 2012, 08:06 PM
pic must be fake because apple doesnt design things that color or do that wierdish front design and the home button is off. i hope the a5 is a lie 2 because it its true, then apple is a big dissapointment.

smoledman
Jul 26, 2012, 08:13 PM

http://www.samsung.com/us/2012-galaxy-players/

Eat that haters!!!!

netapple
Jul 26, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't hate Android. I don't love Apple. I am platform independent:-)

iPod is great for me because I need a cheaper, small, functional "computer" like device that can connect to wifi. Like most people with iPod, I don't want to pay for the high 3G cost because I have no need for always on connectivity.

It would be great if there is an cheaper and better android version.

I hope the lower end Android phone will match the the new iPod features/weight/price/usability. Then I will definitely consider getting one!

Jazper
Jul 27, 2012, 02:30 AM
I'd love an aluminium back instead of the scratch prone shiny back that it currently has.

MattDell
Jul 27, 2012, 04:46 AM

My apologies, you're right I did think that was an iPhone story.

And, no, I don't think the iPhone 5 will match Android phones. They've already failed on the screen size.

spicynujac
Jul 27, 2012, 11:55 PM
I love my 4th gen touch, but Apple will really need to add some new features to make this device competitive. Back when the phone and touch had comparable hardware, the iPod touch came close to the sales numbers of the iPhone. It's nOt close at all these days.

Needed: bigger battery, better cameras (why not put in an awesome camera, better than the 4S, and make it a photographers dream), GPS and/or compass, vibration motor, Siri.

Wanted: SIM card slot, bigger screen, more RAM, faster CPU, camera flash.

Oh and I make enough to afford an iPhone, but the touch is a couple thousand bucks cheaper over the life of the contract and does 85% of what I need.

netapple
Jul 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
Wanted: SIM card slot, bigger screen, more RAM, faster CPU, camera flash.

Oh and I make enough to afford an iPhone, but the touch is a couple thousand bucks cheaper over the life of the contract and does 85% of what I need.

Well said:)

Colpeas
Jul 29, 2012, 01:15 PM

Well I have a 160GB Classic and it's hardly enough. I have all my music in ALAC, so the HDD fills really quickly. Also, there are people, who use it to power a sound system in their car, so a large drive is a great benefit.
I, for example, use it both outdoors and indoors. At home, I just plug in my amp and headphones and then I can listen to it whenever I happen to go. I sync it thrice a year and I'm happy with it. It's also great when I go to my cottage. No need to carry around my laptop just to play music.

Believe me, iPod Classic rocks, but 220GB HDD would be a nice update. That's all I want from it. A ****ton of space.

faroZ06
Jul 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
post removed

dcorban
Jul 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
My entire library, which is ripped in FLAC so that my CD's never have to be used and stay un-scratched, is 1.4 Terabytes and growing.
My mind is blown. I have my ~200 CDs ripped to Apple Lossless and it is only 150GB or so. That is a lot of music you have.

I have considered keeping my music in ALAC format, but it would make music on my iPhone useless since I could hold so little, and there is significantly higher battery usage on my HDD based iPod. I just converted it all to 256k "iTunes plus" format and left the ALAC files on the external drive. I suspect there are extremely few songs that would have a discernible difference from the ALAC file.

Pukey
Aug 4, 2012, 11:43 AM
Something better than the current .7 MP camera, maybe closer to an 8MP camera like the iPhone 4S would be nice.

wiredup72
Aug 8, 2012, 10:40 AM
My mind is blown. I have my ~200 CDs ripped to Apple Lossless and it is only 150GB or so. That is a lot of music you have.

I have considered keeping my music in ALAC format, but it would make music on my iPhone useless since I could hold so little, and there is significantly higher battery usage on my HDD based iPod. I just converted it all to 256k "iTunes plus" format and left the ALAC files on the external drive. I suspect there are extremely few songs that would have a discernible difference from the ALAC file.

Well, I'm 40 and have been buying CD's since they first came out :)
Plus, I am a full blown audiophile/audiophool :)
Just in the time we last posted my library grew another 100gb.

andross77
Aug 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
Well, I'm 40 and have been buying CD's since they first came out :)
Plus, I am a full blown audiophile/audiophool :)
Just in the time we last posted my library grew another 100gb.

How much money a year do you spend on music?

wiredup72
Aug 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
How much money a year do you spend on music?

Maybe $2-300 a year. More this year because of the Pink Floyd re-masters.

andross77
Aug 27, 2012, 08:34 AM
Maybe $2-300 a year. More this year because of the Pink Floyd re-masters.

just wondering how your music library grew another 100gb if you spend so little on music in a year. Do you steal it?

wiredup72
Aug 27, 2012, 03:51 PM
just wondering how your music library grew another 100gb if you spend so little on music in a year. Do you steal it?

Never. As a musician I never steal music.
I guess it's a fair question. I kind of resent it, but i know how loose kids morals are these days with music and can see how someone would be suspect on forums where lots of kids post. I hope in don't offend you BTW I'm 40.

Plus, buying cd's for 30+ years goes a long way. Probably more than $10,000 of music in LPs, cassettes and CD's. Maybe more.
Concert DVDs also.

Plus I only rip FLAC. No mpcrap. And I use my studio to rip old cassettes and LPs and VHS concerts.

I am still ripping cd's and trade in a lot of LEGAL Grateful Dead, Phish and Widespread Panic shows. As Flacs, those shows can be several gb per show times hundreds of shows.

I'm nowhere near done adding to my server. I'll fill my 6TB in the next year or so. It takes a long time checking metadata for so much stuff.

damir00
Aug 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
I have my ~200 CDs ripped to Apple Lossless and it is only 150GB or so.

That doesn't seem right. 200 CDs ripped without any compression at all would be less than that, with Lossless it would compress by roughly half.

----------

There's a dude out there offering 2TB of Dead shows, fully tagged.

If you really want to fill up space, there's always a way. :)

techguy20
Aug 27, 2012, 04:28 PM

Or just build a random file in terminal! :D

wiredup72
Aug 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
There's a dude out there offering 2TB of Dead shows, fully tagged.

PM if you care to share. Thanks.

andross77
Aug 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
misunderstanding...

damir00
Aug 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
So you are saying that you are a thief and no better than the train wreck Lindsay Lohan who is in the news again today for a possible $100G heist? I hope the appropriate governing body finds you, and fines you.

Excuse me? What are you talking about - who's stealing what?

andross77
Aug 28, 2012, 11:54 AM
Excuse me? What are you talking about - who's stealing what?

My bad. My browser wasn't refreshing correctly and I missed wired72's response and mixed you up with him. So i thought you were spending $200-$300 a year on music and somehow just got another 100GB of music. Which of course wouldn't make sense and would require you to steal music. My apologies for the mixup.

Sadly, i'm sure there are MANY users on here that regularly steal music from torrent sites, but apparently you aren't one of them.