PDA

View Full Version : Why only iBooks has store function all in one app

Nerdy Keith
Jul 24, 2012, 07:02 AM
I've noticed that iBooks is the only eBook app on the entire Apple Appstore which allows you to purchase books directly from your iPhone / iPad all in one app. Yet not so long ago the stores from the Kobo and Kindle apps were removed. As far as I know some of these non-iBooks apps have a separate app for purchasing books or expect you to just launch Safari and find the store yourself, which is kind of ridiculous and very inconvenient for the customer.

And on both Amazon's and Kobo's website they say that the only reason they cannot have a store in their IOS apps is because as quoted from the Kobo website
"Apple enforced in-app purchase guidelines that prevent us from including the Kobo Store within our Kobo eReading app."

I'm not posting this just to complain and rant about it. I'm just curious why did Apple decide to do this? Surly if there was a function on all eBook stores to make purchases directly more people would want to get iPads for eReading. iBooks isn't really that great of an app anyway, its mediocre at best.

I'm just wondering why they would make such a decision.

Madmic23
Sep 7, 2012, 01:00 PM
They basically did it to make more money. Most people will buy their books from the most convenient place, which would be an app with a built in store.

The rule that Apple is enforcing requires an in-app purchase to go through Apple, which gives them a 30% cut. Obviously, Kobo and Amazon don't want to hand all of their profits over to Apple, so they removed the in-app purchasing from their apps.