PDA

View Full Version : How many of you will upgrade to Mountain Lion on release day?




Dragoro
Jul 24, 2012, 07:39 AM
Will you upgrade to Mountain Lion on release day or wait a while to see how it goes for others upgrading?



ugp
Jul 24, 2012, 07:43 AM
No problems upgrading day one. Did it in the past.

maflynn
Jul 24, 2012, 07:45 AM
I usually wait, but not this time, ML seems stable and offers improvements to Lion.

Queso
Jul 24, 2012, 07:47 AM
I'm going to just go for it on this occasion.

dank414
Jul 24, 2012, 07:47 AM
That's what waking up early is meant for. At least for me :)

cmdrmac
Jul 24, 2012, 07:48 AM
I'm going for it on day of release. That's assuming Apple emails me my redemption code on time :cool:

tcphoto
Jul 24, 2012, 07:56 AM
I depend on shooting tethered and learned my lesson on Snow Leopard. If the other software is compatible, I will upgrade to 10.8. It's difficult to explain to a Client that they can't preview the images on the monitor when they're paying me so much.

AirThis
Jul 24, 2012, 08:02 AM
I think you forgot the category "I can't upgrade to ML" in the poll.

Personally I don't think I'll upgrade at all. Will wait for a new computer to do that.

kurayami88
Jul 24, 2012, 08:05 AM
urm... wrong section?


anywayz, personally not upgrading, but waiting for the apple store to switch over to ML pre-installed ... then i'll purchase it straight away (not sure if that sounds stupid of rather ordering it then upgrade myself but... oh well)

MTShipp
Jul 24, 2012, 08:07 AM
I voted "soon as I can" but only for one of my devices; my rMBP. I believe it will work very well with ML based on the newness of the device and the reports from testers.

However, my two Minis and my 2009 iMac will not quickly go to ML. In fact, this past weekend I just upgraded my iMac from SL to Lion. That was not pretty. So I will hold off on a few point upgrades to ML before upgrading them.

PEN10k
Jul 24, 2012, 08:07 AM
Upgrade as soon as I can.

- If I don't like it or if it's too buggy, well, I just downgrade to Lion again. :)

ZipZap
Jul 24, 2012, 08:34 AM
Will wait at least a week....

All you beta testers have at it.

Seldom is Apples testing representative of the real world. Look back over the last 2 years and tell me it is!

teleromeo
Jul 24, 2012, 08:44 AM
I upgraded to snow leopard only a few months ago because I needed it to run lightroom 4. If everything works fine I don't install upgrades.

keaide
Jul 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
Wait for 1 week

heisenberg123
Jul 24, 2012, 09:05 AM
downloaded a lot of p0rn this month so im close to my bandwith limit might have to wait till august ;)

ugp
Jul 24, 2012, 09:27 AM
downloaded a lot of p0rn this month so im close to my bandwith limit might have to wait till august ;)

Yes! lol

Godzilla71
Jul 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
I just finally upgraded to SL lol so i'll wait a bit.

roland.g
Jul 24, 2012, 09:52 AM
Actually both.

Day one through up to date on my 2012 MBA.

Wait to see compatability issues on my main machine: iMac as that has too much crucial stuff on it to lose functionality.

zorinlynx
Jul 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
Probably upgrade in the first couple days, but I plan to take a CCC backup image first, so if anything I use regularly breaks, I can revert and try again after a few point releases.

That's the key; make an image of your current system with Carbon Copy Cloner before you upgrade. This makes the upgrade zero-risk; if anything goes wrong you can revert without losing a thing.

Not to mention, it makes an excellent full backup in the unlikely event that your data gets damaged.

SumoHamster
Jul 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
Upgrade as soon as I see it. Doubt it will be worse than Lion so why not!

WhackyNinja
Jul 24, 2012, 11:20 AM
Im staying up all night...once I get word of ML in the App Store...TIME TO GET DOWNLOADING!

rjg125
Jul 24, 2012, 11:26 AM
Will you upgrade to Mountain Lion on release day or wait a while to see how it goes for others upgrading?

I am already on ML GM and it works beautifully on the rMBP. A few compatibility issues with some older apps, but nothing an update can't fix.

iVoid
Jul 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
Not on my home system. But I may upgrade a work Mac as a test sacrifice. :)

In general, I wait for the .1 release before upgrading important systems. Also gives time for my 3rd party software to catch up a bit.

wrldwzrd89
Jul 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
Fortunately for me, all my (Intel-native) 3rd-party software is either ready for Mountain Lion now or will be with a few minor changes. Yes, there is still one PPC-only program I use occasionally, and I must boot into Snow Leopard to run it.

thejadedmonkey
Jul 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
$20 for expose. I'm so pissed at that.

clukas
Jul 24, 2012, 12:08 PM
will upgrade on day one.

applefan022
Jul 24, 2012, 12:11 PM
Hope to be downloading it this evening or tmrw sometime. :apple:

iwan073
Jul 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
I would have installed it right away. But I'm already running ML :)

Kariya
Jul 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
Already have

Psycna
Jul 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
I'll update as soon as I can. I think there's no need to wait, ML is already more stable an faster than Lion.

thestickman
Jul 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
Will update the MBA. Will leave the iMac alone till I know all my plugins & both DAW's are good to go on ML 1st.

Doc69
Jul 24, 2012, 01:13 PM
I'm upgrading on day one, but keeping a clone of 10.7 so I can get back if something doesn't work right. Then at some point I will probably do a clean install and reinstall everything.

I'm looking forward to 10.8. I never liked Lion. I would actually have preferred to still be on 10.6, would it not have been for the iCloud incompatibility. But at least 10.8 brings back some of the stuff they removed from Lion.

OTACORB
Jul 24, 2012, 01:28 PM
I am looking forward to it myself. Mainly because it will making the things on my phone work via my computer. Notes, reminders, etc.

InuNacho
Jul 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
As I don't have any iToys I see no need to "upgrade" from Snow Leopard.

AlexJaye
Jul 24, 2012, 02:36 PM
I won't "upgrade" until a new iMac is released to replace my MacBook. And with that iMac will come Mountain Lion.

davidinva
Jul 24, 2012, 02:56 PM
I think you forgot the category "I can't upgrade to ML" in the poll.

Personally I don't think I'll upgrade at all. Will wait for a new computer to do that.

I have an April 2008 Macbook so can't. Will stick with Snow Leopard until I can afford a new Mac.

Razeus
Jul 24, 2012, 03:30 PM
I usually wait, but not this time, ML seems stable and offers improvements to Lion.

Seriously? Like what?

nuckinfutz
Jul 24, 2012, 03:32 PM
Seriously? Like what?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1325197

All The Little Things - Mountain Lion version.

cambookpro
Jul 24, 2012, 03:35 PM
Tomorrow hopefully! I'll try on my 15" MBP then roll it out to our family iMac, brothers' 13" MBP. My dad can look after himself, will probably also install tomorrow :p

OllyW
Jul 24, 2012, 03:35 PM
It all depends when it is released.

If it's tomorrow then I'll have more important things to do (involving mountain bikes and beer) so I'll have to wait until Thursday or Friday before I get the chance to install it.

ThaDoggg
Jul 24, 2012, 08:16 PM
I'm still running SL so hopefully I can do the install on release day...want to see what I've been missing in Lion.

ivnj
Jul 24, 2012, 08:20 PM
I'll give it a try.

recharge23
Jul 24, 2012, 08:26 PM
gonna give it a go just as soon as i can. :cool::cool:

vladster
Jul 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
I had lion for around a month and still don't like it. So why not upgrade to ML soon? Typically I wait quite some time. But this time I feel like I won't loose much event if ML is a little unstable initially.

Saturn1217
Jul 24, 2012, 09:54 PM
As a rule I always wait. Mostly because I only have the one computer and I use it for work as well as home so I can't have it not working...

Not sure how excited I am about Mountain Lion really...

I was really excited about Leopard (made me switch to mac in the first place)
Fairly excited about Snow Leopard (best OS I've used)
I was wary but very curious about Lion (still running Lion now btw)

But Lion took so much effort to get working even close to the way I like it. There are still a few changes I'm adjusting too. I do like what I hear about ML reversing some of the more questionable decisions but honestly I'm sure ML will still mess up other things that I thought were working right forever or at least mess up app compatibility...

I know I must sound like such a downer but right now I think I'll wait and see. I hope Adobe CS4 works on ML (*crosses fingers*)

AzN1337c0d3r
Jul 24, 2012, 11:35 PM
Where is the option for those who have already upgraded by downloading the GM? =P

macness
Jul 25, 2012, 12:10 AM
do i have to back up my comp first? ore can i just download ml?

adztaylor
Jul 25, 2012, 04:19 AM
do i have to back up my comp first? ore can i just download ml?

You don't have to, but it's strongly recommended.

adamtheturtle
Jul 25, 2012, 04:22 AM
do i have to back up my comp first? ore can i just download ml?

When you download ML you have two options: Upgrade Install or Erase and Install.

If you are going to do an upgrade install, in theory it will take all your data over to ML. It is always recommended that you back up in case something goes wrong. This is the default.

Erase and Install (which you can do by putting ML on a USB stick) will give you an out-of-box experience, and you would have to transfer all your data from a backup.

BlueOcean
Jul 25, 2012, 05:25 AM
I imagine I'll install it straight away on my new Air since I'm eligible for a free upgrade anyway, and I'm not at risk of losing too much. If it seems okay, then I may choose to upgrade my iMac from Snow Leopard. However, I'm in no rush to do the latter.

WarrenFields
Jul 25, 2012, 05:35 AM
I will! My USB 3 flash drive just arrived yesterday, and I basically ordered it just to install Mountain Lion haha

ChelseaJK
Jul 25, 2012, 07:50 AM
I would like to upgrade as soon as it releases, but I'm in overseas right now with no external hard drive to back up everything on, and I don't want to risk losing all of my pictures. Only 5 days until I'm stateside though. :)

bembol
Jul 25, 2012, 08:03 AM
Downloading it...

T.Verhoeven
Jul 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
I haven't seen any: 'issues with ML' threads before, so I think it is safe to upgrade :D

Queso
Jul 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
47 minutes to go. Download speeds are surprisingly quick all things considered :)