PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Represents 73% of Smartphone Sales, 55% of All Postpaid Phone Sales at AT&T in 2Q 2012

MacRumors
Jul 24, 2012, 08:23 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/24/iphone-represents-77-of-smartphone-sales-55-of-all-postpaid-phone-sales-at-att-in-2q-2012/)

AT&T today announced (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=23091&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=34898) financial results for the second quarter of 2012, revealing that the carrier activated 3.7 million iPhones during the quarter, down from 4.3 million in the previous quarter (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/24/iphone-activations-drop-43-at-att-but-represent-60-of-total-postpaid-phone-sales/) as customers begin to slow their purchases ahead of the next-generation iPhone launch.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/04/attlogo375wide.jpg

Notably, AT&T's 3.7 million iPhone activations accounts for roughly 73% of the carriers 5.1 million total smartphone sales during the quarter, down slightly from last quarter's share. With smartphones now accounting for 77% of AT&T's total postpaid device sales, the iPhone represents approximately 55% of the carrier's total phone sales to contract customers, down slightly from last quarter's 60% share.AT&T sold 5.1 million smartphones in the second quarter. Smartphones represented 77 percent of postpaid device sales. At the end of the quarter, 61.9 percent, or 43.1 million, of AT&T's postpaid subscribers had smartphones, up from 49.9 percent, or 34.1 million, a year earlier. AT&T's ARPU for smartphones is twice that of non-smartphone subscribers, and about 88 percent of smartphone subscribers are on FamilyTalk® or business plans. Churn levels for these subscribers are significantly lower than for other postpaid subscribers. More than one-third of AT&T's postpaid smartphone customers use a 4G-capable device.

Android, iPhone and Windows device sales were supported by AT&T's 4G network. Only AT&T's 4G network lets iPhone 4S download three-times faster than any other U.S. carrier's network. In the quarter, the company activated 3.7 million iPhones, with 22 percent new to AT&T.Although Verizon reported a 16% quarter-over-quarter drop (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/apples-share-of-verizon-smartphone-sales-slips-to-45/) in iPhone sales and AT&T's numbers reveal a similar 14% decline, the performances are generally being viewed as a positive for Apple, which will report its earnings after the close of trading today. Analysts were already expecting Apple's overall iPhone sales to decline this quarter ahead of the next iPhone launch, and with the company's domestic sales holding up relatively well and international sales likely still booming, the company is likely to post solid results for its primary revenue generator.

Article Link: iPhone Represents 73% of Smartphone Sales, 55% of All Postpaid Phone Sales at AT&T in 2Q 2012 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/24/iphone-represents-77-of-smartphone-sales-55-of-all-postpaid-phone-sales-at-att-in-2q-2012/)

Razeus
Jul 24, 2012, 08:25 AM
AT&T better get their act together then.

ayala421
Jul 24, 2012, 08:25 AM
And now they want to penalize their customers by charging extra for FaceTime data...screw them.

miles01110
Jul 24, 2012, 08:27 AM
Err... nowhere in the earnings statement does it say that the iPhone represents 77% of AT&T's smartphone sales. Also, 3.7 million iPhones is approximately 72.5% of 5.1 million smartphones, not 77%, but iPhone sales figures aren't in the earnings statement either.

edit: Sorry, italics above are incorrect. Reading fail.

Yelmurc
Jul 24, 2012, 08:36 AM
Today's real story in Apples earnings will be China's revenue share. Last quarter it overtook Europe to become the second revenue market for Apple. While I don't think it will catch the US this quarter I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a lot closer.

boronathan
Jul 24, 2012, 08:38 AM
Err... nowhere in the earnings statement does it say that the iPhone represents 77% of AT&T's smartphone sales. Also, 3.7 million iPhones is approximately 72.5% of 5.1 million smartphones, not 77%, but iPhone sales figures aren't in the earnings statement either.

Yeah the math is wrong its 72.5 but still impressive nonetheless

MacinDoc
Jul 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
Interesting that the iPhone still accounts for a disproportionately large percentage of AT&T's smartphone sales, especially considering that AT&T's billing policies seemingly discriminate against iPhone customers. Clearly this is a legacy of AT&T's initial exclusivity with the iPhone, as those who wanted iPhones switched to the carrier.

KdParker
Jul 24, 2012, 08:46 AM
seriously....just release the new iphone on Aug. Really expect a nice redesign.

----------

Interesting that the iPhone still accounts for a disproportionately large percentage of AT&T's smartphone sales, especially considering that AT&T's billing policies seemingly discriminate against iPhone customers. Clearly this is a legacy of AT&T's initial exclusivity with the iPhone, as those who wanted iPhones switched to the carrier.

True. But with the new iphone 4g....and data caps with ATT. I will move to Verizon. Nothing keeping me at ATT anymore.

iCaleb
Jul 24, 2012, 08:46 AM
AT&T sucks.

They took advantage of my grandpa just because he's old..........they added BS fees on his bills.

Also they have BS customer support.

Verizon is much better.

MacinDoc
Jul 24, 2012, 08:49 AM
I'm jonesin for today's financials from Apple. We should have plenty of ammunition to fire at fandroids and windolts later. :D We're winning! We're really winning!
Actually, if the rumors about all the new products to be released in the next few months are true, then Apple's quarterly statement will likely beat their estimate, as usual, but will probably fall short of market expectations. And expect their guidance for next quarter to be lower.

Rodimus Prime

how does it discriminate against iPhone customers?

Also I would like to point out only more recently has AT&T started carrying good Android phones and it still lags quite a bit behind the others. Hell part of the reason I was really glad to see the iPhone go to the other carriers is it caused AT&T to finally start getting the good Android phones.

mattopotamus

They fixed it :)

Puevlo
Jul 24, 2012, 08:50 AM
Just goes to show that Apple would be nothing without AT&T.

tny
Jul 24, 2012, 08:55 AM

Please tell me this is sarcasm - because the fact that the iPhone is 73% of AT&T's smartphone sales tells us nothing about what percentage of the iPhone's success is due to AT&T.

IPlayFair
Jul 24, 2012, 08:55 AM
AT&T was given the original exclusive contract by Apple. AT&T had three years to cultivate a customer base before any of the other telecoms got the opportunity to sale Iphones. That is the reason 73% of AT&T sales are Iphones. Its not because AT&T is doing anything special.

Codyak
Jul 24, 2012, 08:59 AM
I'll be curious to see how it pans out when the iPhone has LTE. Verizon's LTE is just about everywhere I go now (even as much as 40 miles from DC.). There are even some places where I get about 15/12 D/U and the only option for home internet is dial up. Also I've used about 12 Gigs this month and zero throttling.

NoExpectations
Jul 24, 2012, 09:01 AM

People forget that Apple would be nothing more than an MP3 Player company without the Wireless Network, which by the way AT&T helped invent:

http://www.corp.att.com/attlabs/reputation/timeline/83celltech.html

GeeEllBee
Jul 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
With the new iPhone (with 4G LTE, rumored) soon to be released, AT&T is still not offering 4G LTE in my corner of the world. Of late, I have noticed that performance on their 3G network in my neck of the woods has been abysmal and terribly inconsistent. Then there is the news circulating about AT&T violating our privacy and civil rights by releasing information about us without as much as a hiccup from the requestor and without our knowledge or consent. Finally, AT&T (as is Verizon) is an open member of ALEC, the notorious right wing Republican anti government lobbying machine. I am currently seeking carrier alternatives. In fact, I welcome suggestions from forum participants.

boronathan
Jul 24, 2012, 09:04 AM
I'll be curious to see how it pans out when the iPhone has LTE. Verizon's LTE is just about everywhere I go now (even as much as 40 miles from DC.). There are even some places where I get about 15/12 D/U and the only option for home internet is dial up. Also I've used about 12 Gigs this month and zero throttling.

Well at Verizon the 3g 4s outsold all the LTE phones combined this quarter , so I imagine an lte iPhone will do even better then that. LTE is going to make the iPhone one of the best phones out there and easily the best selling (not that it isn't already)

the8thark
Jul 24, 2012, 09:09 AM
AT&T was given the original exclusive contract by Apple. AT&T had three years to cultivate a customer base before any of the other telecoms got the opportunity to sale Iphones. That is the reason 73% of AT&T sales are Iphones. Its not because AT&T is doing anything special.

If I am correct (not 100% sure I am) other telcos were approached by Apple in the beginning and all told Apple to pound sand. And only AT&T would take the iPhone. Hence their 3 year exclusivity deal.

Codyak
Jul 24, 2012, 09:10 AM
Well at Verizon the 3g 4s outsold all the LTE phones combined this quarter , so I imagine an lte iPhone will do even better then that. LTE is going to make the iPhone one of the best phones out there and easily the best selling (not that it isn't already)

I've noticed whenever I do get switched over to 3G it's definitely not faster than I remember AT&T's, but I don't think even once since going to Verizon have I wondered whether or not I have a signal. This is even when traveling to West Virginia. :D

Macboy Pro
Jul 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
He we go with the weekly, thoughtless, unintelligent AT&T Haters thread.

JB413
Jul 24, 2012, 09:12 AM
I can't wait until the new phone comes out and I can switch my family to Verizon.

Macboy Pro
Jul 24, 2012, 09:25 AM
If I am correct (not 100% sure I am) other telcos were approached by Apple in the beginning and all told Apple to pound sand. And only AT&T would take the iPhone. Hence their 3 year exclusivity deal.

EXACTLY. And they did one heck of a job keeping up with the unexpected boom in smartphones/iPhones.

They made a unforseen mistake offering unlimited data as they didn't know how fast the iPhone would take off.
They have done everything they can to recover and keep it as the FASTEST iPhone Telecom in the United States, by a long shot.
They still honor the unlimited plans that were grandfathered, but tend to throttle them to the speeds they would have received when they signed up back in 2008. Yes, that is right, you still get unlimited but not at 10 times the speed, so people quit complaining.
They are a business so they have to charge somewhere. Its s free market, go to Verizon if they have a better product and price point.

None of this is addressed to the person whom I quoted. Simply my 2 cents on the whole issue.

----------

And that customer base has ALL had a chance to switch. All contracts have expired at this point so I guess your point is moot. AT&T must be doing something pretty well because the predicted mass exit from AT&T for Verizon or Sprint didn't even come close to happening.

Maybe its..
-the WAY faster network
-the duplex network
-the cheaper plans for most
-the better options for nights/weekends, texting, Friends/Family, free call lists
-the WAY better customer service

Rogifan
Jul 24, 2012, 09:30 AM
AT&T sucks.

They took advantage of my grandpa just because he's old..........they added BS fees on his bills.

Verizon is much better.
Not sticking up for AT&T but just curious what these fees were that got added to his bill? I wasn't aware AT&T could add fees to people's bills because they're old...

Thunderhawks
Jul 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
I'm jonesin for today's financials from Apple. We should have plenty of ammunition to fire at fandroids and windolts later. :D We're winning! We're really winning!

Tigerblood!

Next Mountain Lion blood:-)

Xenomorph
Jul 24, 2012, 09:32 AM

AT&T still offers the BEST network for iPhones, at least in the US.

- They've been GSM out of the box, since 2007. Tons of AT&T iPhones have been unlocked and are used all over the world, and that helps with resale value or if you decide to switch networks (it makes the AT&T phone worth more).
- They've been able to do Voice & Data at the same time. This isn't a huge deal, but it helps greatly if you're on speakerphone and want to look something up.
- They have the fastest download speeds. Even if iPhones on other networks were getting 100% speed, the AT&T iPhone would still be twice as fast as them.

NewAnger
Jul 24, 2012, 09:41 AM
I'll be buying the new iPhone with service through AT&T because it is the only service that works 100% reliably in my house. I am canceling the Verizon service on my 4S as soon as I can afford to pay the ETF.

There is a huge amount of people who have no idea the negatives of AT&T that people are posting here and so they will stay with AT&T.

I have no problem staying because I have never been throttled and have never used FaceTime, all non issues to me. I want a service that works when I need it and that is AT&T.

Thunderhawks
Jul 24, 2012, 09:41 AM
AT&T still offers the BEST network for iPhones, at least in the US.

- They've been GSM out of the box, since 2007. Tons of AT&T iPhones have been unlocked and are used all over the world.
- They've been able to do Voice & Data at the same time. This isn't a huge deal, but it helps greatly if you're on speakerphone and want to look something up.
- They have the fastest download speeds. Even if iPhones on other networks were getting 100% speed, the AT&T iPhone would still be twice as fast as them.

I find it funny that people complain about either one. One is better in one area and the other in another.

They both have issues depending on what jojo head in India you run into trying to solve your problems.

They can print their own money and are businesses trying to maximize profits.

Having had ATT from the beginning I can confirm that they are trying to keep up with the ever rising data demand. It took a while to get 3G in my area and now it will take a while to get LTE to my area.

But, since I am a patient person, I'll wait and it will be there.

About the only thing that would be better would be an all Wi-Fi network across the country, something Steve looked into and figured out that it was impossible.

Maybe with ever advancing discoveries we'll get to see that some day.

There is no real alternative that works well (Maybe Sprint and T-Mobile one day)

kalex
Jul 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
EXACTLY. And they did one heck of a job keeping up with the unexpected boom in smartphones/iPhones.

They made a unforseen mistake offering unlimited data as they didn't know how fast the iPhone would take off.
They have done everything they can to recover and keep it as the FASTEST iPhone Telecom in the United States, by a long shot.
They still honor the unlimited plans that were grandfathered, but tend to throttle them to the speeds they would have received when they signed up back in 2008. Yes, that is right, you still get unlimited but not at 10 times the speed, so people quit complaining.
They are a business so they have to charge somewhere. Its s free market, go to Verizon if they have a better product and price point.

None of this is addressed to the person whom I quoted. Simply my 2 cents on the whole issue.

----------

And that customer base has ALL had a chance to switch. All contracts have expired at this point so I guess your point is moot. AT&T must be doing something pretty well because the predicted mass exit from AT&T for Verizon or Sprint didn't even come close to happening.

Maybe its..
-the WAY faster network
-the duplex network
-the cheaper plans for most
-the better options for nights/weekends, texting, Friends/Family, free call lists
-the WAY better customer service

You forgot how they forgot to upgrade their network while riding high on iphone bandwagon and only started doing upgrades when other carriers started getting iphones. Before that it was overloaded overcommitted garbage.

Sixtafoua
Jul 24, 2012, 10:22 AM
Only AT&T's 4G network lets iPhone 4S download three-times faster than any other U.S. carrier's network.

Do we really need such gratuitous advertising for AT&T on MR?

cvaldes
Jul 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
Please tell me this is sarcasm - because the fact that the iPhone is 73% of AT&T's smartphone sales tells us nothing about what percentage of the iPhone's success is due to AT&T.
Especially since over half of Apple's revenue comes from countries that aren't serviced by AT&T. Like the rest of the world.

But a lot of people here are pretty clueless to the world beyond their state. Maybe living in mommy's basement doesn't expand their worldviews.

This forum's American-centric bent is an embarrassment. There are a lot of participants here who have lived very sheltered lives.

Technarchy
Jul 24, 2012, 11:17 AM
How is this possible?

I thought no one wanted a 3.5" screen and iOS was boring, and limited, and blah blah blah.

So after all the hype and lies about the RAZR outselling the iPhone, Verizon releases numbers and the iPhone smashes the competition.

Now we have AT&T, and it's the same story.

Next will be Sprint, and the results will be the same.

boronathan
Jul 24, 2012, 11:21 AM
How is this possible?

I thought no one wanted a 3.5" screen and iOS was boring, and limited, and blah blah blah.

So after all the hype and lies about the RAZR outselling the iPhone, Verizon releases numbers and the iPhone smashes the competition.

Now we have AT&T, and it's the same story.

Next will be Sprint, and the results will be the same.

Tbh the hype and lies happen quarterly and has been happening for two years now. The cycle will begin a new in a couple of days. I don't get why ppl bash apple so much.

You get used to it.... But wtg apple!

rjohnstone
Jul 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
I like how AT&T list iPhone "activations" instead of actual sales.
We all know a chunk of those activations are not new iPhone sales, but new activations for a used device.

boronathan
Jul 24, 2012, 11:52 AM
We all know a chunk of those activations are not new iPhone sales, but new activations for a used device.

What difference does it make?

rjohnstone
Jul 24, 2012, 11:57 AM
What difference does it make?
A lot.
There is no subsidy to recover when a used device is activated.
Remember... AT&T charges the same rate regardless of whether your phone was purchased from them or owned outright.

So this is a big deal when it comes to reporting revenue correctly.
3.7 million iPhones sold = less revenue than say 3.7 million activated where x% of the 3.7 million are fully owned devices with no subsidy to recoup.

unlimitedx
Jul 24, 2012, 12:16 PM
A lot.
Remember... AT&T charges the same rate regardless of whether your phone was purchased from them or owned outright.

3.7 million iPhones sold = less revenue than say 3.7 million activated where x% of the 3.7 million are fully owned devices with no subsidy to recoup.

wouldn't subsidy be part of cost of goods sold?

BC2009
Jul 24, 2012, 12:19 PM

Do you work for Apple? I couldn't care less for the ammunition from an earnings call to fire at "fandroids" and "windolts". I am an AAPL shareholder and I do care about profit, revenue and marketshare and growth potential in the coming quarters because it directly affects my portfolio.

You just might be taking the Apple versus Google system wars a bit too seriously here. Its fine to prefer Apple products but unless you are an employee you should be looking out for yourself as a consumer. Apple's products are top-notch right now. I bought them many years ago when they were top-notch, but switched to Dell, Microsoft and Palm when Apple was failing to produce quality in Jobs' absence. It took many years under Jobs and the coinciding of my next major purchasing cycles to get me to switch back to Apple. As long as they are producing quality stuff, enjoy it -- but Apple is a company and you are a consumer. Look out for your consumer dollars first should Apple ever lose its way again.

Intarweb
Jul 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
Do you work for Apple? I could care less for the ammunition from an earnings call to fire at "fandroids" and "windolts". I am an AAPL shareholder and I do care about profit, revenue and marketshare and growth potential in the coming quarters because it directly affects my portfolio.

You couldn't care less.

BC2009
Jul 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
AT&T sucks.

Verizon is much better.

Verizon took advantage of my wife's grandpa because he is old. Sold him a USB stick for his computer so he could get Internet on his farm. He did not even know how to plug the thing in. He paid $40 per month for three years for 250MB allotment of data per month which he never used. My mother-in-law tried to cancel it from afar but they needed the account holder to do it. When I was visiting last I got them on the phone and one Verizon rep finally helped but then she had to transfer me to the person who tries to talk you out of closing an account.

I told them Grandpa was just buying an iPad with Verizon built in (AT&T has no coverage where he is). She asked if I wanted to transfer his $40 per month plan. I said "no" because the iPad plan was 4 times as much data for half the price with no commitment. She tried to tell me that there would be activation fees and I had to tell her that it was not so under the prepaid iPad plans. She then tried to tell me that they had changed their data plans recently and there would be, but I told her that I had indeed read the terms of their new data plans and that they were indeed still advertising commitment-free $20 per month for 1GB of data on the iPad. Finally, she made me put Grandpa back on the phone to get authorization once more to cancel the account. Now, my only hope is that the account really does cancel and they stop automatically withdrawing $40 per month from his bank account for a measly 250MB of data. My fear is that Verizon will call him back and try to get him to change his mind and reactivate his account during some kind of "where did we go wrong survey".

So while AT&T is evil, so is Verizon. Both are necessary evils until we get a carrier with decent coverage who puts the customer first.

BaldiMac
Jul 24, 2012, 12:33 PM

Why would they list sales? Activations seems like a much better metric for a wireless provider to me. :confused:

MrShoehorn
Jul 24, 2012, 12:35 PM
seriously....just release the new iphone on Aug. Really expect a nice redesign.

----------

True. But with the new iphone 4g....and data caps with ATT. I will move to Verizon. Nothing keeping me at ATT anymore.

Yes because Verizon doesn't have data caps.... Sarcasm.

NewAnger
Jul 24, 2012, 12:52 PM

Well they don't really cap, they just charge you for another block of data.

When I got my Verizon 4S back in January, I signed up for the 2GB plan knowing that I would never use it and I haven't. For some reason, an extra charge for $10 for an extra gig of data showed up on my bill last month for back in January. I never used that extra gig and on average use less than half a gig. They refunded my money.

See, they just charge you for more data. This is exactly what AT&T does if you go over a limited plan.

kdarling
Jul 24, 2012, 01:00 PM
If I am correct (not 100% sure I am) other telcos were approached by Apple in the beginning and all told Apple to pound sand.

Pound sand? That's a bit overdramatic :)

Apple went to Verizon in mid 2005, months before having a touch prototype (Apple was still thinking of doing an iPod clickwheel type phone at the time).

So consider Verizon's position: they hear about the awful ROKR coming out, and now Apple wants to make another phone with no third party apps, no GPS, no 3G... oh and they don't want the carrier to subsidize it for the customers, but instead give that subsidy to Apple. Sounds about as attractive as roadkill.

Of course, now I'm being dramatic, athough that's exactly the deal Apple later made with AT&T.

In any case, Verizon didn't throw them out; reportedly they just kept putting Apple off until Apple finally stopped calling a year later.

And only AT&T would take the iPhone. Hence their 3 year exclusivity deal.

Even AT&T (Cingular) didn't take it right away. They knew about Apple's plans a half year before Verizon did, and yet they didn't sign a contract with Apple for another year and a half, in mid-2006.

By that time Apple was halfway through their project, with no one wanting their phone, so AT&T was able to force an incredibly long exclusive... which, as it turned out, gave Android plenty of room to gain a foothold in the US, that might otherwise not have happened.

rjohnstone
Jul 24, 2012, 01:13 PM
Why would they list sales? Activations seems like a much better metric for a wireless provider to me. :confused:
Different revenue based on the type of transaction.
An activation of a new device has more upfront costs than the activation of a device that costs AT&T nothing.

BaldiMac
Jul 24, 2012, 01:19 PM
Different revenue based on the type of transaction.
An activation of a new device has more upfront costs than the activation of a device that costs AT&T nothing.

I understand the difference. I just think new activations is a more appropriate metric for a wireless company. I want to know how many iPhones they added to their network. Not necessarily how many they subisidized/sold. Though that is an interesting number as well.

Don't all three US carriers report activations?

boronathan
Jul 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
A lot.

I mean why would sales make a difference to att? They're the provider.

Edit nvm asked and answered above

Macboy Pro
Jul 24, 2012, 01:22 PM
You forgot how they forgot to upgrade their network while riding high on iphone bandwagon and only started doing upgrades when other carriers started getting iphones. Before that it was overloaded overcommitted garbage.

Thats absurd and completely discredits anything you have to say. AT&T only started doing upgrades when other carriers started getting iPhones?? AT&T did no upgrades during the first three years of their exclusive? LOL, that has to be the dumbest post I have seen in awhile....

ixodes
Jul 24, 2012, 01:28 PM
AT&T better get their act together then.
AT&T can't keep everyone happy. If you are using them, pay up and move on.

G51989
Jul 24, 2012, 01:30 PM

Unless your a large share holder of Apples stock, your not winning anything ;)

BC2009
Jul 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
You couldn't care less.

Fixes typo -- thanks.

NoExpectations
Jul 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
By that time Apple was halfway through their project, with no one wanting their phone, so AT&T was able to force an incredibly long exclusive... which, as it turned out, gave Android plenty of room to gain a foothold in the US, that might otherwise not have happened.

If I recall from the headlines, the original deal was 2 years. It was extended a year when AT&T offered incredible subsidies to Apple and then it was extended another 6 months when AT&T offered real low data rates on the first iPad.

Makos62
Jul 24, 2012, 03:20 PM
Question is, if iPhones make up 73%, then why is AT&T trying so hard to drive iPhones users away? It seems that anyone who has even the smallest amount of information that ATT&T has released publicly, then their board really should have look towards new leadership.

kalex
Jul 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
Thats absurd and completely discredits anything you have to say. AT&T only started doing upgrades when other carriers started getting iPhones?? AT&T did no upgrades during the first three years of their exclusive? LOL, that has to be the dumbest post I have seen in awhile....

Go back and research. They only started upgrading after they were loosing exclusive. Here in NYC att use to be horrendous with dropped calls and slow data. Then they started their grand upgrade plan which still sucks but better than it was before.

I actually did find dumbest post - its the one i replied to :)

Macboy Pro
Jul 24, 2012, 05:04 PM
Go back and research. They only started upgrading after they were loosing exclusive. Here in NYC att use to be horrendous with dropped calls and slow data. Then they started their grand upgrade plan which still sucks but better than it was before.

You can't be serious. You think that AT&T did no upgrades or buildout of their network for 3 years. I don't need to research anything, that statement is as stupid as the day is long. This isn't a mom and pop shop on the corner. Its the one of the biggest telecom companies ever. LOL

KdParker
Jul 24, 2012, 05:50 PM

I know but...the service is better on verizon where I live and the only reason I am with ATT is because of the iPhone.

kalex
Jul 24, 2012, 06:54 PM
You can't be serious. You think that AT&T did no upgrades or buildout of their network for 3 years. I don't need to research anything, that statement is as stupid as the day is long. This isn't a mom and pop shop on the corner. Its the one of the biggest telecom companies ever. LOL

Again no facts just outbursts. No point of arguing

kdarling
Jul 24, 2012, 07:22 PM

AT&T started upgrading before that, but they had a couple of major problems that slowed them down:

First, Apple came out with a non-3G model the first year, at a time when any major smartphone had 3G. This meant that AT&T had to pause 3G deployment for almost a half year while they instead built up their old 2G network to have higher EDGE speeds that wouldn't be as embarrassing as the ~ 30-80 Kbps that was common at the time.

Second, AT&T had planned their entire radio network around GSM/TDMA radios, and thus were unprepared for moving to UMTS-3G/WCDMA cell technology, which in many cases required closer cells to prevent dropped calls as those cells breathed in during higher usage. They later admitted to this and used it to excuse their delay.

You're right that it seemed to take forever for them to do something about NYC, and even when they did it backfired at first. When they enabled different frequencies that penetrated buildings better, all the extra calls that were suddenly available took a toll on data speeds. They also publicly talked about that.

They seem to be finally on a pretty good track, at least as far as major cities go.

smoledman
Jul 24, 2012, 07:24 PM
Why is it nobody mentioned that the Lumia 900 was the #2 selling phone?

Macboy Pro
Jul 24, 2012, 07:43 PM
Again no facts just outbursts. No point of arguing

DUDE, you claimed AT&T was static for 3 years. Its absurd! But since you want to be embarrassed, here is a link that indicates the $95 BILLION, yes BILLION AT&T has spend in the last 5 years building out their network.

Quote is here: "Donovan says that the mobile operator has spent $95 billion over the last 5 years trying to expand the wireless infrastructure. $20 billion was spent in 2011 alone and led to over 150,000 improvements in its wireless pipeline. Another $20 billion has been budgeted for spending on wireless infrastructure this year."

Notice only $20 BILLION in 2011, which means $75 Billion in 2007-10. Hardly nothing...

Link is here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/AT-T-data-usage-doubles-every-year_id26896

Next time get your statement somewhere in the galaxy of the truth and people won't challenge it.

nia820
Jul 24, 2012, 09:19 PM
Not really surprised. IPhone is the only good phone at&t carries. At&t would be dead without iPhone. Seriously their service is so terrible.

aggiefather
Jul 25, 2012, 09:01 AM
Question is, if iPhones make up 73%, then why is AT&T trying so hard to drive iPhones users away? It seems that anyone who has even the smallest amount of information that ATT&T has released publicly, then their board really should have look towards new leadership.

AT&T does not promote the iphone in their monthly subscriber publication. The latest issue arrived yesterday and had stories and beautiful photos promoting the latest anroid phones, but said nothing about selecting an iphone. Even the story on apps for your summer vacation seemed to mention only those for android.

alent1234
Jul 25, 2012, 09:19 AM
AT&T does not promote the iphone in their monthly subscriber publication. The latest issue arrived yesterday and had stories and beautiful photos promoting the latest anroid phones, but said nothing about selecting an iphone. Even the story on apps for your summer vacation seemed to mention only those for android.

only apple is allowed to advertise the iphone

----------

i have at&t and VZW, both have dead spots all over NYC

20 million people in the city daily and wireless tech is like the old network hubs. everyone is broadcasting on the same frequencies

kalex
Jul 25, 2012, 09:22 AM
DUDE, you claimed AT&T was static for 3 years. Its absurd! But since you want to be embarrassed, here is a link that indicates the $95 BILLION, yes BILLION AT&T has spend in the last 5 years building out their network.

Quote is here: "Donovan says that the mobile operator has spent $95 billion over the last 5 years trying to expand the wireless infrastructure. $20 billion was spent in 2011 alone and led to over 150,000 improvements in its wireless pipeline. Another $20 billion has been budgeted for spending on wireless infrastructure this year."

Notice only $20 BILLION in 2011, which means $75 Billion in 2007-10. Hardly nothing...

Link is here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/AT-T-data-usage-doubles-every-year_id26896

Next time get your statement somewhere in the galaxy of the truth and people won't challenge it.

Nice and rosy. Except not in major cities. They kind of skipped them for later

David Sharpe
Jul 25, 2012, 12:44 PM
Anyone have any experience with Sprint or Virgin Mobile iPhone service? The rates seem to good to be true.

Do they provide:
Data + phone calls?
Visual voice mail?

Any limitations?

Technarchy
Jul 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
Why is it nobody mentioned that the Lumia 900 was the #2 selling phone?

Is this documented somewhere? I missed that.