Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
This is not a post about Android vs iOS.

I am a long time mac user(10 yrs) and I highly respect this company and its software, and I am anti-microsoft due to complicated software(imho) .

I wanted an iPod for a long time(never owned one) then an iPhone, i was going to buy 5, but was surprised only 4s was released. Now waiting for 5...

the iOS6 does not bring me anything impressive, looks t me just like the usual iPhone. Many of my friends who are iPhone users jumped ship to S3 , many praising it over iPhone(none apple fans).

I am having thoughts about buying the S3 over the iPhone 5 , because I already own an iPad, so I am not sure if it will be like owning 2 of the same thing if I buy the iPhone or will I have the best of both worlds if I got iPad+Android(S3) combination? If any one out there with this combination please tell me how is it going for you. Here are some of the reasons why I am willing to part with the iPhone 5 decision:

-Some how, youtube is very slow to load on my iPad(retina) . Impossibly slow unless you take off the HQ , which is basically 240p.

-No Flash, sometimes needed for websites.

-Video playing capability is limited, you have to buy an app to play .avi or mkv files. In both cases I have heard issues that those apps do not play the videos well, or chopped.

-The 3 keyboards of Apple is frustrating. You have to click one button to switch to the numbers keyboard, then ANOTHER DIFFERENT button to get to the symbols keyboard. It gets frustrating after sometimes.

-This is probably not a big deal, but I hate it in iOS usually when you try to search again, you use the Search bar, it does not clear out your previous search inquiry . ex "George BushNASA Project X"(2 items search)

-You are forced to use the Youtube app when using Safari, which SUCKS, and you switch apps too just to view the video.

-you can't get your files on/off the iOS. ex. pictures , they have to be synced with iPhoto or something like that.

-I don't know about USA, but here S3 is cheaper.

-iOS+Android must be better than iOS+iOS right?

-S3 is out now, no line waiting, late releases or anything like that.

On the other hand, here is my issues with the S3:
-Screen seems a bit dull and TOO blue-ish

-I think app quality is lower on the android, or I think so..

-I think app selection is less, ex. no tweetbot ?

-How does the software hold after sometime? Does it slowly becomes clumsy and slow like Blackberry and Windows?

If you have been using iPad+Android combination please tell me about your experience and what is your advice to me

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I own and use:
  • an iPhone 4S (AT&T)
  • a "new" iPad (3rd generation)
  • the "international" Galaxy S3 (unlocked, 16GB, quad-core)
  • a Nexus 7 (16GB as well)

I've had the iPhone and the iPad for a while now; I've had the Android devices for less than a month, however in the past I've used the original Droid and the HTC Incredible... and I also have a 10" Galaxy Tab collecting dust.

My wife and I are fairly well engrained and dependent on the Apple ecosystem. iOS devices, and Macs, work very very well together. There's no question about this, no debate. And I'd go as far as to say that my wife and I -- who use shared iCloud accounts for contacts, calendars, reminders, in addition to the hundreds (thousands?) of dollars we've spent on iTunes stuff -- are dependent on the ecosystem. It's kind of scary.

I'm personally not ready to give up iCloud (I can't, since my wife isn't moving to Android any time soon, & we have a lot of shared data in that cloud), and to introduce a foreign body -- Android -- into the Apple ecosystem is not 100% painless. It requires a little bit of tinkering, and a dependency on third-party developers to get things working right (or, you just write whatever app you need yourself). For example, I needed a sync adapter to pull over the contacts we have in iCloud. It works, but it's quirky. This is really the best word I can use to describe my Apple + Android experience thus far. Quirky.

I'm currently back to using my iPhone + iPad full time, gathering real-world empirical data (experience) for an objective personal comparison of iOS vs Android in my daily adventures. I respect Android but for me, and my wife, too much of our workflow depends on Apple stuff at the moment. I could shoehorn Android in there, but it'll be an uncomfortable fit.

So it really boils down to how dependent on the ecosystem you are. If there's no, or very little, dependency -- then an iOS device and an Android device will work well together, like oil and water. ;-)

riveting

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
i am currently using an ipad 3+a Samsung galaxy W (which is the same as Samsung galaxy Exibit II 4G in T mobile), I am probably going to switch to Nexus S for my phone. The only reason to do that I think all high end phones are pretty overpriced and I am currently not on a contract. So I basically just enjoy a $100 to $150 android phone which I can still tether to ipad or laptop when needed.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I've made a general switch to Apple over the past year, and have an iPad an an Air. I haven't switched to iPhone, though. The main reason keeping me off it is the crappy predictive text. On Android, third party apps like Swift Key saves me immense amount of typing/ time when I send emails or text messages, and I just won't switch to iPhone until they have something similar on offer. The second thing that bothers me is the screen size, which I would prefer to be larger.

I've had Android for a while now and while there's a part of me that would love to have an iPhone and have everything integrated within the same eco system, I'm not ready to switch until the two issues above are addressed. I can also sync most stuff I need to sync through either drop box or evernote. I'm eyeing up the Samsung G3 and I think it looks great. I'm trying to hold on until the next iPhone comes out, since ideally I'd like to have it all integrated - but I might just cave and order the Samsung before then...

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
@f00f

I am no where as dependent on the iOS ecosystem. The only issue I have is Reading list.

What ever app I need I think I can easily switch to a 3rd party. For example, instead of using contacts, maybe I can use Evernote Hello, and Netflix for videos, and Kindle instead of iBooks.

Any ways, Even if I do need the iOS ecosystem I always carry my iPad with me. Its not a home only device.

Looking to hear more from others .

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
@f00f

I am no where as dependent on the iOS ecosystem. The only issue I have is Reading list.

What ever app I need I think I can easily switch to a 3rd party. For example, instead of using contacts, maybe I can use Evernote Hello, and Netflix for videos, and Kindle instead of iBooks.

Any ways, Even if I do need the iOS ecosystem I always carry my iPad with me. Its not a home only device.

Looking to hear more from others .

If you always carry your iPad with you, I think you will be absolutely fine. I do the same, but even when I do, it's rare that I have to get the iPad out because I can't do what I want on my phone (the only exception is some work stuff, but I wouldn't use my phone for that anyway because of the small screen).

There are several apps that sync stuff across android and iOS, such as Evernote, dropbox, kindle, kobo books, and so on. A lot of the other apps I use (e.g. for local transport and Internet banking) come in both iPad and android versions. While the quality of apps is perhaps more varied with android due to less quality control, you still get tons of very high quality apps. I don't know if android can quite beat the seamless user interface experience of ios, but IME android is still a good system which has catered to all my needs, and the opportunity for customising your device is great.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet (but haven't looked into it either) is how to sync music to my phone - I imagine I need a few more work arounds for that than I would with an iPhone.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
My set up is purely an iPad 3 and a Samsung galaxy s3.

I find they work fine together for what I need. The only thing I share between them is using google calendars for syncing my calendar which works brilliantly, and my mail.

My thinking was similar to yours - I have the best of both worlds, and I made the jump after seeing iOS hadn't made any changes that made me want to pick up an iPhone again.

Been running this for 2 months now, no problems so far. :)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
My set up is purely an iPad 3 and a Samsung galaxy s3.

I find they work fine together for what I need. The only thing I share between them is using google calendars for syncing my calendar which works brilliantly, and my mail.

My thinking was similar to yours - I have the best of both worlds, and I made the jump after seeing iOS hadn't made any changes that made me want to pick up an iPhone again.

Been running this for 2 months now, no problems so far. :)

Would you recommend it?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I have been trying combining both Android phone and iPad (and Mac), with certain success so far.

I always carry my iPad 4G, so I don't have a problem with synchronizing apps. If it's not on my Android phone, then it's on my iPad.
I use the phone to make and receive calls, SMS messages and some audio streaming while driving.
And the fact that I can turn it into a WiFi Hotpoint makes it more valuable

The experience hasn't been all happy, as I need to use Google Sync to sync contacts and calendar among devices, and sometimes contacts may get altered in the process (work phone suddenly becomes home phone, etc. Nothing major).

Also, the PlayNow Store is a mess, and it seems that Android Developers may be a little more greedier than iOS Developers, as they charge a lot more for their apps.

My Phone is an HTC HD2 (Windows Mobile 6.5) booting custom MIUI ICS ROM.
I love the fact that I can login as root and tweak it, but it's also time consuming.

I can't wait for the new iPhone, but I wish that another GSM Carrier besides AT&T gets it, T-Mobile perhaps. The main and only reason why I haven't got an iPhone yet is AT&T. :mad:
I have not considered Verizon or Sprint, as they run CDMA.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Chrome on Android + Chrome on iPad= OMGWTF SO EASY TO SYNC :p

except it crashes a lot on android. and pages wouldnt stay on the ipad(2 tabs opened, switched to another for like a minute, came back to the other page, had to reload).

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Would you recommend it?

Depending on your usage, yes.

For example, I don't really use my machines for much more than web browsing these days, so the lack of a file system wasn't an issue.

Until I needed to search for a job and realised I couldn't upload my CV.

Aside from things like that which you need to think about, I'd definitely recommend it if your usage fits in with the limitations.
Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.