Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beefwitted

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I'm thinking of getting a device with at least 16 hours battery life and which can record 24/7 and have at least the past 24 hours in memory any time I wish to load it up and review.

Is there such a device in existence? :)

Stan.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
It's largely dependant on the capacity of the storage card you use with them, plus quality settings you decide to use.

For example, just a mere 2gb micro SD card in my Zoom H1 can hold anything from 1 hour, to 35 hours of audio, depending on settings used.
Im not sure about battery life, and that will vary depending on model anyway. Plus most will take a mains power adaptor should you need virtually unlimited recording time.

Beefwitted

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
My apologies. I think I didn't succinctly explain what I was expecting from the device.

I want a device that will record over and over the tape (so to speak) automatically with no input whatsoever (for days) except charging it once a day and when the necessity to review a recording for long-term storage occurs, one should be able to access at least the past 24 hours of data in acceptable quality.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
My apologies. I think I didn't succinctly explain what I was expecting from the device.

I want a device that will record over and over the tape (so to speak) automatically with no input whatsoever (for days) except charging it once a day and when the necessity to review a recording for long-term storage occurs, one should be able to access at least the past 24 hours of data in acceptable quality.

A number of handheld mini PCM recorders will record very long durations, especially if you set a low sample rate and use voice activation. The one I have uses two AAA batteries which last a week on average. You can kick it up a notch and go with surveillance specific devices, which can be found on sites catering to the investigative community. Be sure to check applicable law as required by your specific "application."

Beefwitted

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
A number of handheld mini PCM recorders will record very long durations, especially if you set a low sample rate and use voice activation. The one I have uses two AAA batteries which last a week on average. You can kick it up a notch and go with surveillance specific devices, which can be found on sites catering to the investigative community. Be sure to check applicable law as required by your specific "application."

Thanks a lot for your post. Is there a reason why you had not mentioned a specific brand/model? Does this have shady underpinnings I'm not aware of?

Also, that brings me to my second question. I didn't know there were laws concerning carrying a voice recording device. Where do I look that up / who should I ask?

I'm planning to carry it through the entire day through college. I find that when I review the day's notes in the late evenings, I occasionally find I had missed something from a lecture and then break my head over it for half an hour followed by calling up all my friends till I find the answer! I'm pretty sure they must be bugged by now so I was thinking of getting my own personal review device that I can carry at all times.

Stan.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks a lot for your post. Is there a reason why you had not mentioned a specific brand/model? Does this have shady underpinnings I'm not aware of?

Also, that brings me to my second question. I didn't know there were laws concerning carrying a voice recording device. Where do I look that up / who should I ask?

I'm planning to carry it through the entire day through college. I find that when I review the day's notes in the late evenings, I occasionally find I had missed something from a lecture and then break my head over it for half an hour followed by calling up all my friends till I find the answer! I'm pretty sure they must be bugged by now so I was thinking of getting my own personal review device that I can carry at all times.

Stan.

Responded fully in a PM. Get the Yamaha Pocketrak 2G. Works for me for all sorts of recording, but so does an iPhone with external mic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.