Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today sent out what it is says is the final reminder that it will be shutting down its iWork.com service as of July 31. The reminder is essentially identical to a previous message that went out earlier this month.
Dear iWork.com user,

Remember, as of July 31, 2012, you will no longer be able to access your documents on the iWork.com public beta site or view them on the web.

We recommend that you immediately sign in to iWork.com and download all your documents to your computer. For detailed instructions on how to save a copy of your documents on your computer, read this support article at Apple.com.

Moving forward, you can use iCloud to store your documents and make them available across your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Learn more about iCloud.

Sincerely,
The iWork team
iwork_com_shutdown_final_reminder.jpg

iWork.com launched as a free beta in January 2009 as a service for sharing and collaborating on iWork documents, with Apple intending to eventually offer the service for a fee. The iWork.com service never exited beta, however, and with iCloud offering new options for moving documents around the company has decided to eliminate the program.

Article Link: Apple Sends Out Final Reminder of July 31 iWork.com Shutdown

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Hopefully they use the experience from the beta to implement useful sharing and collaborative features either into iCloud or a separate service/product. More and more people are exposed to iWork now through iOS, not to mention increased Mac sales, and I'm sure many of them would use such a service (I know I would!).

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I'm hoping that updates are released for the iOS iWork apps that enable better collaboration compared to the way iWork.com worked. At the very least they'll need to update the apps to remove the iWork.com sharing feature.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
iWork.com closing + iWork for Mac not having seen an update in AGES seems like a good time to have some kind of "grand opening" for iWork in iCloud, no?
Accompanied by iWork '13 :cool:

Glassed Silver:mac

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I am dreaming here, but I hope they introduce something like google docs. Doesn't matter what type of platform you are on, as long as you have a browser you can edit, share etc documents in the cloud. Now that would be nice.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Another example of why you should NOT relying on an Apple service or software because you never know when they'll decide to change it or abandon it.

I refuse to use (depend on) any Apple software or service ever again. Don't get me wrong, I will use them but not for anything I'll have to rely on year after year. Apple has proven that it's a mistake to trust that they'll continue to support even their own software over time.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I'm surprised Apple didn't remove the iWork.com "share" button and menu options in the latest update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.