Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajampam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Guys,
I have been an avid mac and macrumors guy for a long while...finally got into some money by workin after school to be able to buy my own mac laptop a year ago....and I waited...(I know most of you would hate me for bringing this up), I waited for the PB G5s. As soon as I learnt about the intel switch, i went and picked up a 12" PB w/ superdrive and all....(and finally joined macrumors too) and will wait again to pick up a 15" PB after they stabilize the mactels...

But I just cant help but wonder, especialy with the new iBooks update, do you think there will be any updates to the PB line before they all go the intel way? would love to hear what you all have to say.

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Well, the last update for the Powerbook was late Jan this year, and the first intel mac is probably not arriving till early next year, and even though it's quite likely to be a powerbook, I can't imagine that Apple would go a year between Powerbook updates. So I'd be looking for a minor update in the next few months (maybe late August). Although there's always the possibility of a dual core G4 powerbook.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
My guess would be a 1.8 ghz G4 update before the mactels come. Let's be realistic. I also think that buying a pb now (or 3 months ago as I did) is a good idea. You'll have a good reliable computer for 3 years or so until rev B or C of the mactels.

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2005
ajampam said:
Guys,
I have been an avid mac and macrumors guy for a long while...

Then you should know that there are dozens of recent thread like this one!

;)

ajampam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
1nsanity said:
Then you should know that there are dozens of recent thread like this one!

;)

I agree, but couldnt help but think of it in the light of the new ibooks...

ajampam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
chaosbunny said:
My guess would be a 1.8 ghz G4 update before the mactels come. Let's be realistic. I also think that buying a pb now (or 3 months ago as I did) is a good idea. You'll have a good reliable computer for 3 years or so until rev B or C of the mactels.
No doubt about it...it would be the best bet and we can wait and see how the tech transfer to the mactels goes...rosetta, universal binaries and all that.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I'm very, very close (within the next week or two) to buying a PowerBook. I need one for University, so i can't wait until the IntelBooks come out and become stable (I wouldn't want a RevA model anyway).

I've been toying with the idea of hanging on a bit to see if there are any speed boosts to the line, but to be honest, I've got fed up with waiting! I could go on waiting until just before I start University and there probably still won't have been any updates.

I think even if on Tuesday Apple announced a dual-core G4 (or even a G5....) PB, I would run out, very quickly, and try and grab one of the last of the current-revision PowerBooks, simply because I want a very stable platform that will last me for at least 5 years, like this 350MHz G3 iMac has.

I feel PowerBook updates are very imminent - most likely the week after I've bought mine :D (When my parents got me this iMac, it was EOL'd the following week)

ajampam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
thomasp said:
I'm very, very close (within the next week or two) to buying a PowerBook. I need one for University, so i can't wait until the IntelBooks come out and become stable (I wouldn't want a RevA model anyway).

I feel PowerBook updates are very imminent - most likely the week after I've bought mine :D (When my parents got me this iMac, it was EOL'd the following week)

I feel exactly the same thing...about buying now.....and since I bought the new PB, I have aslo reconciled to seeing a brand new update which I will feel jealous about...but well!!!!

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Dual-core with much better power management is the big thing I'm waiting for. Dual-core means the processors could each be slowed or halted to save power which should make a big difference in battery life.

I do wish that Apple would go back to having a removable drive bay. I virtually never need a CD/DVD player/burner. I would rather be able to have a second hard drive in the computer like I do with my Pismo now.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
pubwvj said:
Dual-core with much better power management is the big thing I'm waiting for. Dual-core means the processors could each be slowed or halted to save power which should make a big difference in battery life.
I don't think that dual core is going to happen with PPC chips in PowerBooks.
pubwvj said:
I do wish that Apple would go back to having a removable drive bay. I virtually never need a CD/DVD player/burner. I would rather be able to have a second hard drive in the computer like I do with my Pismo now.
The majority of people want to have a DVD drive and a removable one would probably take more space (meaning a thicker PowerBook) and would probably not be so pretty either. If 100GB is not enough then you can have a 120GB fitted, and if that's not enough then you can add a firewire drive (I have a 100GB PowerBook and a 100GB bus powered compact FireWire drive for stuff that I use less frequently).

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
What I want to know is what Apple is going to add to the new Powerbooks (other than a speed bump) to make people want to buy them rather than wait for the Intel Powerbooks...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Expect more price drops and a little more performance.

The new intel ones will have a new form factor and hopefully have things like an external OLED screen for wifi detection, battery life etc without the need to have the machine open.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
thomasp said:

I've been toying with the idea of hanging on a bit to see if there are any speed boosts to the line, but to be honest, I've got fed up with waiting! I could go on waiting until just before I start University and there probably still won't have been any updates.

I think even if on Tuesday Apple announced a dual-core G4 (or even a G5....) PB, I would run out, very quickly, and try and grab one of the last of the current-revision PowerBooks, simply because I want a very stable platform that will last me for at least 5 years, like this 300MHz G3 iMac has.

When did they make a 300 MHz iMac? You mean 333 or 350. x_x'

And if thats the case of stuff being EOL'd after you buy it, GET OUT THERE AND GET A PB. :D

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Reanimation_LP said:
When did they make a 300 MHz iMac? You mean 333 or 350. x_x'

Sorry, I meant the 350MHz G3 iMac. I've edited my previous post :)

Reanimation_LP said:
And if thats the case of stuff being EOL'd after you buy it, GET OUT THERE AND GET A PB. :D

I'm just about to phone up some local stores and enquire to see who does the best student deals :) (Apple are winning so far, by 31 UK pence :D )

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
witness said:
If 100GB is not enough then you can have a 120GB fitted, and if that's not enough then you can add a firewire drive (I have a 100GB PowerBook and a 100GB bus powered compact FireWire drive for stuff that I use less frequently).

The issue isn't amount of storage. It is that I want two separate drives so that my primary drive can automatically backup to my secondary drive every night or more often as necessary. Daily backup is critical. I have a 400GB external FireWire drive for weekly successive backups but that is not always available (e.g., I'm not at the desk, at the house, etc). In the Pismo I can have a second hard drive in the bay meaning my daily backup is always ready to happen. My data is worth 100x the value of the computer, or more, and it must get backedup frequently. A single drive does not achieve that. It takes two to tango.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
aswitcher said:
The new intel ones will have a new form factor and hopefully have things like an external OLED screen for wifi detection, battery life etc without the need to have the machine open.

You know you can push the little button on the battery and it will tell you how much power it's got with the little LEDs on it right? You can even do this if the battery is not in the Mac.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
With all the rumors of a widescreen iBook does anyone think they will get rid of the 12" PB and replace it with a 13" or so widescreen model? That will differentiate the two lines until Intel processors allow further speed increases.

ajampam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
alfonsog said:
With all the rumors of a widescreen iBook does anyone think they will get rid of the 12" PB and replace it with a 13" or so widescreen model? That will differentiate the two lines until Intel processors allow further speed increases.
Realistically speaking I dont think they will go through all the trouble of changing the display and size, etc....as many suggested above, it could either be a speed bump, few more bells and whistles and (dual core processors!!?)...but who knows.... :rolleyes:

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
I can definately see them adding a few more little bells and whistles, and having a significant price drop before the end of October. I hope for dual cores but I don't see it happening.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
robbieduncan said:
You know you can push the little button on the battery and it will tell you how much power it's got with the little LEDs on it right? You can even do this if the battery is not in the Mac.

Sure :) No i am talking about the real deal like a PDA screen built into the external laptop lid which can be configured for widgets or other apps...

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
ajampam said:
Guys,
I have been an avid mac and macrumors guy for a long while...finally got into some money by workin after school to be able to buy my own mac laptop a year ago....and I waited...(I know most of you would hate me for bringing this up), I waited for the PB G5s. As soon as I learnt about the intel switch, i went and picked up a 12" PB w/ superdrive and all....(and finally joined macrumors too) and will wait again to pick up a 15" PB after they stabilize the mactels...

But I just cant help but wonder, especialy with the new iBooks update, do you think there will be any updates to the PB line before they all go the intel way? would love to hear what you all have to say.

You seem to be wishing the time with your 12" G4 PB away a little too fast! What would make someone already be looking forward to buying a Mactel PB and 15" besides when you have the top model now? Is it the small size? Thanks

likosoad

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2005
I think you should look more closely at the other topics, check out this topic right here for some info, most of your questions will be awnsered in there.

And reed the big post in there titled "final post about pb" , I'm am almost 100% sure that eveything in that text is correct.

cheers :)

ajampam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
crazydreaming said:
You seem to be wishing the time with your 12" G4 PB away a little too fast! What would make someone already be looking forward to buying a Mactel PB and 15" besides when you have the top model now? Is it the small size? Thanks

Oh I love the cute little 12 incher....just that I was waiting for the major upgrade to G5s for so long and now have had to settle for something that has been around for a while (withminor changes)...but no cribbing though...I am absolutely in love with my mac....i just want to build a fleet of macs and am probably inquisitive as to what this tech change would really entail....Apple rules!!!!!
:D

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
After months of nagging I have finally persuaded my boss to buy me a 15" PowerBook and it should be arriving on tuesday so I hope that the range isn't updated to radically. I don't mind too much though because i'm so excited about my new PBook that I may actually have an accident in my trouser region :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.