Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehpea

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Portugal
My TV has terrible sound. I would like to get a sound system to use with a DVD player, a DVR and a Wii (although if it's not possible to use the Wii with this there's no problem).

My DVR and my DVD player have SPDIF (I'm 99% sure it's coaxial only) and L/R RCA audio output. My Wii has L/R RCA audio output. Is there a sound system which supports all 3 devices at once? I live in Portugal, but I wouldn't mind ordering from Amazon UK.

Also, my TV only has two HDMI-in ports and one SCART-in port. (Yes, I know, no Audio Out, that would have made this easier)

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Hey,

You didn't mention if you needed/wanted surround sound or just stereo?

Does you tv have a tos-link out? some tv's will provide a digital audio output (usually stereo only) via optical, so whatever your listening to on your TV it's outputted via this connection, you can run it to an amp and get all the switching done with your tv.

have a look at this onkyo which is stereo but has digital inputs : http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-5VLS-Integrated-Digital-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B002RW1BGQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343162256&sr=1-2

if you want surround, it's going to be easier and cheaper to get a cheap yamaha amp, most will have a mixture of analogue and digital inputs.

tehpea

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Portugal
Hi,

Thanks for replying! I'd like to get surround sound because of my DVD player. Unfortunately, my TV does not have TOSLINK out - only 3.5mm. (Should have gotten one with more connectors...)

Is the Yamaha amp you mention cheaper? That ONKYO amp is a bit out of my range of pricing, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.