PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DVR-104 firmware

JupiterZen
Nov 9, 2002, 04:36 PM
I ordered my Quicksilver with only a CD-RW back in the days. But got myself a regular Pioneer DVR-104 just a couple of months ago. So it's not the Apple Superdrive (with the black tray an such), but just a normal Pioneer DVR-104.

I know they are the same drives, but I would like to know if I could use the Apple firmware utility. Pioneer have their own posted on their support site, but they only have update tools voor Windows 98/2000/XP and DOS.

I would like to spare myself the whole "dismantle-my-mac-and-build-into-PC" adventure just for a firmware update. But I don't know if the Apple tool could/would damage my drive.

Anyone here with experience or knowledge on this?

JupiterZen
Nov 12, 2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by JupiterZen
Anyone here with experience or knowledge on this?

I'm I just being ignored? :confused:

I know the Apple Superdrive and the retail Pioneer DVR-104 have different firmware revision schemes (A220 and 1.10) And that the Apple website clearly states that: "If it's not a Superdrive you should contact Pioneer".

I just would like to know if there are brave souls here that have tried using the Apple updater on non-superdrives and what their results were.

irmongoose
Nov 12, 2002, 09:40 AM
Apple does not provide technical support for third-party DVD-R devices. Contact the manufacturer of your drive for more information. Apple's updater only updates internal Apple-branded SuperDrives that need an update.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86130&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Expert&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous

irmongoose

Chisholm
Nov 12, 2002, 06:39 PM
oops!

Chisholm
Nov 12, 2002, 06:40 PM
I had an experience with this. Got a mirrored mac for my office and skipped apple's "super"drive cuz I knew I could buy the same damn drive elsewhere and get it for a lot cheaper.

Well, not sure if its cuz its a mirror mac or if its the drive, but the updater reports back that it was not written for my model of computer. (not drive, computer )

So I just took it out and stuck it in my PC. Haven't flashed it yet, but I know I can just put it back in the Mac and all will be well.

Oh, and you'll need to remove the very front of the cd tray so it'll be able to pop out. Apple did a stupid thing to discourage folks from installing stuff not purchased at the time of original sale. The drive bay opening is somewhat of an oval instead of a perfect rectangle.

PM me if you need help mangling your drive:p (j/k, its easy) I'd be happy to help.

cheers!!
-John

JupiterZen
Nov 13, 2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Chisholm
Well, not sure if its cuz its a mirror mac or if its the drive, but the updater reports back that it was not written for my model of computer. (not drive, computer )

Strange that it would say computer. I think it's also confusing that the update comes up in my Software Update. Or isn't that based on the fact that it finds a Pioneer DVD-R in my computer? And will even people with regular CD-RW drives get the update in the Control Panel?

So I just took it out and stuck it in my PC. Haven't flashed it yet, but I know I can just put it back in the Mac and all will be well.

Well I think I'm gonna flash it in my PC as well then.

Oh, and you'll need to remove the very front of the cd tray so it'll be able to pop out. Apple did a stupid thing to discourage folks from installing stuff not purchased at the time of original sale. The drive bay opening is somewhat of an oval instead of a perfect rectangle.

PM me if you need help mangling your drive:p (j/k, its easy) I'd be happy to help.

Don't worry. It's not the mirrored drive Quicksilver but the original ;) And I got it in there so I think I'll get it out. Last month I dismantled my mac to the bone just to find out what fan models were in there. Even dismantled the powersupply ;) ;). Been mailing with a guy at NMB about fan specs. Loads of fun. :D :cool:

JupiterZen
Nov 13, 2002, 01:38 AM
"Not supported" in Apple's dictionary often means that it works just fine. But that they are not going to help you with it if you should run into problems.

irmongoose
Nov 13, 2002, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by JupiterZen
"Not supported" in Apple's dictionary often means that it works just fine. But that they are not going to help you with it if you should run into problems.

Yeah I know.. that's why I made the other part of the sentence bold, since I knew they not supporting it has nothing to do with whether it works or not. I've burnt over 5 DVD-RWs with my Superdrive, and they it's unsupported. Hell, it works great!

Anyways, flashing it on your PC should work fine... it's just the matter of actaully doing it.. I'm too lazy!

irmongoose