Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
I think i might after i see it up close. Or are you waiting to see if apple brings out a mini?

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
England
I'll see what the Mini is like, if it exists. If it doesn't, I'm considering the Nexus 7, more for train journey's and stuff. It'll be easier to carry than my iPad.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Nope. The experience on iPad still trounces that of the Nexus 7 and other Android tablets. The iPad app store is still the one to beat.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
England
Waiting to see if Apple delivers an iPad mini.

I've got a huge cache of iOS apps and a mini would just slide right in.

Yeah, I agree with the apps. Having a mini would be great because I could whack on a load of my iPad apps, but at the same time I could use my Android apps (from my phone) on a Nexus 7. Depends on what the Mini is like.

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm considering it. I want an Android device to play with. Something I can slap DOSBox, SCUMMVM, and other grey area programs without having to jailbreak. Plus the smaller size does make it a little more appealing as a portable entertainment device.

The only thing keeping me from taking the plunge is being able to justify having two tablets that are functionally about the same. I'd be more likely to use my iPad for typing up a document, or more likely to read a book on the Nexus...but really, they're not that much different overall. The Nexus is a little more portable, but it's not exactly like the iPad is super difficult to carry around with me or anything.

...yeah, I'm gonna be stewing this over for a couple of months or so. :p

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Was thinking of trying it the nexus 7 but nah I'm happy with my iPad and my Galaxy S3. I had a EEE Pad but didn't use it enough to get a Nexus. To be honest I'm on my Samsung Galaxy S3 more then anything, is compact, screen is big enough to enjoy everywhere and its hella fast.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Already did. Great device but I just arranged for the return of it. Nothing wrong with it but I already have a Galaxy Note with a 5.3" screen, and an Ipad2. The need for the Nexus just isn't there. If I didn't already have the iPad, I may keep it, but for now I prefer being able to see a bit more of the webpage when browsing, and the iPad does that for me. Portability of the Nexus 7 was excellent, but it just wasn't getting the use I expected. Jelly bean seems like a more polished version of ICS, and I actually prefer ICS to IOS because of the ability to customize, but I guess after a couple of years I am attached to the iPad experience, and will stay with it for now.

----------

Was thinking of trying it the nexus 7 but nah I'm happy with my iPad and my Galaxy S3. I had a EEE Pad but didn't use it enough to get a Nexus. To be honest I'm on my Samsung Galaxy S3 more then anything, is compact, screen is big enough to enjoy everywhere and its hella fast.

I hear ya about there S3. I enjoy browsing on my Note as well.

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I will pick up 2 when it available, one for me, and one for my wife. gps, offline map, small size, light weight, NFC, 4-core cpu, low price, it is a no brainer choice. I don't think it can be better if there is a ipad mini.

I have 2 ipad 2(wifi) also, I am very happy with it. because of the size and weight, I think I will use my ipad2 and nexus 7 differently, there is no conflict. Nexus 7 will follow with me all the day and ipad2 will wait to serve me at home.

And to "the new ipad", in my point, it is not a successful product, I checked it in store, there is totally no motivation for me to buy a new one to replace my old ipad2. even if I don't have ipad2, consider about the price difference, 70% chance I will go with ipad2. Hope next gen ipad won't disappoint me.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I will pick up 2 when it available, one for me, and one for my wife. gps, offline map, small size, light weight, NFC, 4-core cpu, low price, it is a no brainer choice. I don't think it can be better if there is a ipad mini.

I have 2 ipad 2(wifi) also, I am very happy with it. because of the size and weight, I think I will use my ipad2 and nexus 7 differently, there is no conflict. Nexus 7 will follow with me all the day and ipad2 will wait to serve me at home.

And to "the new ipad", in my point, it is not a successful product, I checked it in store, there is totally no motivation for me to buy a new one to replace my old ipad2. even if I don't have ipad2, consider about the price difference, 70% chance I will go with ipad2. Hope next gen ipad won't disappoint me.

Have you used a 7" tablet yet? If you are used to your iPad, you will be spoiled with the generous size screen of the iPad, and the constant zooming and panning on the Nexus may annoy you. Spec wise the Google is great, and mine runs extremely smooth, but I just prefer a larger screen, otherwise I'll just use my phone. Good luck with them when you receive them. Hope you enjoy them.
I think the issue here for me is that my phone screen is so large that I just didn't feel the need for the smaller tablet.

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I didn't try a 7" tablet before, don't know if it is good for reading book or gaming. but iphone is definitely too small to do those things. And a 7" gps sound very cool :D.

Have you used a 7" tablet yet? If you are used to your iPad, you will be spoiled with the generous size screen of the iPad, and the constant zooming and panning on the Nexus may annoy you. Spec wise the Google is great, and mine runs extremely smooth, but I just prefer a larger screen, otherwise I'll just use my phone. Good luck with them when you receive them. Hope you enjoy them.
I think the issue here for me is that my phone screen is so large that I just didn't feel the need for the smaller tablet.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Nope. The experience on iPad still trounces that of the Nexus 7 and other Android tablets. The iPad app store is still the one to beat.

Well, I have both and iPad "3" and the Nexus, and I love them both. The only area where the iPad "trounces" the Nexus is screen size and a few apps that aren't available. It's better for surfing the web than the Nexus, but Jelly Bean trounces IOS in quite a few areas. I'm diggin' having both. :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm considering one. Almost bought one when I got home from work but I'm curious about an iPad mini. I have an iPad 2 and a Xoom already, both are starting to get dated and I'd like to try a smaller/lighter tablet for reading....

Vege-Taco

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
Arizona
I bought one. Some of the apps I use most gave me errors on the Nexus 7. They were something along the lines of: "Sorry, this app doesn't support the resolution of your device."

I much prefer my iPad and will be giving the Nexus away.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think i might after i see it up close. Or are you waiting to see if apple brings out a mini?

Have an iPad3, not considering the Nexus7 at all.

If Apple releases a mini iPad, I'd get one for the wife depending on the features for the price.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
I'm interested in a Nexus 7. My iPad 3 feels like a heavy brick of lead after extended use. Don't care for an iPad mini. Don't feel like getting reamed by the app store & re-purchasing all 300+ of my apps for a 3rd time when they are re-made in the 'mini' size.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'd highly suggest those who have gotten one to give it a real chance, search the android forums and xda. You have it you might as well give it a chance, if you hate it you are no worse off.

I was always finding new cool things with Android devices. Google nesoid.apk and then download some Nintendo roms. Plug in a game controller to play them or if you have a wii download wiimote app and connect it via blue tooth. Twonky is fun too, kind of like apple TV but you can use a ps3 or xbox 360 to play the videos/music/photos you are streaming. Splash top is a great Remote desktop app for your PC and/or mac (works great over 3g/lte for other android devices). Dead trigger is awesome with a ps3/Xbox controller. File system is awesome esp. with email files very easily, I'd recommend astro.

I don't know I've hated every mobile OS until I really gave it a chance. Now I like them all! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.